• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 23,519 Views, 771 Comments

In a time of need - Small Muffin



After being abandoned by her friends, Sunset Shimmer wanders the steets alone, with no hope left, she gives up, only to be saved at the last second. Meanwhile her friends are trying to find her, and apologize for what they've done.

  • ...
27
 771
 23,519

Thankful

"...And that's pretty much it," Adagio said, "We got a ride here, got you into bed and waited for you to wake up." She shrugged, "Like I said, there really wasn't much to tell."

Sitting quietly at the other side of the table, Sunset had been completely silent during Adagio's story, filling in the blanks for herself. "So Trixie was following you and was also looking for someone?" Sunset asked.

"That's right," Adagio replied, "She tailed us for about twenty minutes, and when she never tried anything, we got bored and struck first," Adagio laughed lightly, "You know, she was probably paying more attention to her surroundings than she was us."

"Yeah..." Sunset already knew who she was looking for. So now they're all out looking for me are they? Sunset thought. She glanced over at the wall, currently debating her situation. On one hand, she could tell Adagio what had happened, about this whole Anon-A-Miss mess and hope that that kindness she seemed to be showing was real. On the other hand, she could simply play dumb and keep it to herself. But, if they are looking for me, maybe they realized I wasn't doing it. Maybe they... Her thought stopped dead in it's tracks. Oh who am I kidding? That place wants me dead, who knows what Trixie would have done if she had-

"Sunset?"

"Huh, Wha?" Sunset was snapped out of her thoughts, and looked over at the now empty chair across the table. Adagio was now standing next to her, with a napkin in her hand, and a very confused look on her face, though, Sunset was just as confused right now. "What's that for?" Sunset asked, looking at the napkin Adagio held.

"Because you're crying," Adagio replied bluntly, "You can't tell?" Sunset wiped her eye with her finger, leaving it wet with her newly formed tears. She quickly took the napkin from Adagio and wiped her eyes clear. "You were staring at the wall and then, out of nowhere, you just started crying." Adagio gently put her hand on Sunset's shoulder, "You gonna be alright?"

I don't know, Sunset thought.

Adagio removed her hand from Sunset's shoulder and walked back over to her chair. "Remember, you don't have to stay here, you can leave whenever you want."

"Actually... I..."

"Whooooo's hungry?" Sonata and Aria walked back into the room, both carrying two plates of pancakes, which were then set down on the table. "Eat up you tw..." Sonata began, "Wow. Is she ok?" she asked.

Adagio ignored her, "So, you gonna tell us what's wrong now?" she asked Sunset.

"Well, I did say I'd tell you..." Sunset replied, "But... one more thing. can you just tell me one more thing?" she asked.

"Sure, go ahead. Ask away," Adagio replied.

"Why?" Sunset asked.

"Hm?" the three of them replied.

"Why did you save me out there? I mean, I was the one who defeated you, I was responsible for you all losing your magic, right? Why would you wanna save the one who took that away from you? You should want to kill me, not save me."

The three sirens looked at each other and smiled, "We were waiting for you to ask that," Aria said.

"We woulda told you earlier but, we didn't think you'd believe us if we brought it up," Sonata continued, "And, we knew you'd ask that eventually sooo..."

"The truth is, Sunset," Adagio went on, "We want to say thanks for what you did that day."

"You..." Sunset wasn't quite sure what to say, "You... you're thankful?"

Adagio simply nodded, "Yeah, it's hard to explain but, when we lost to you and your friends that day, you took away our dark magic, and with that, the three of us could feel something was missing..."

Aria sat down to Sunset's right, "Of course we knew that that something was our magic, but over time it grew into something more than that, it wasn't just our magic that we'd lost..."

Sonata took her seat opposite Aria, "Yeah, it drove us crazy just thinking about it, we just couldn't figure out what it was, and it didn't help that we were uh... kinda... really... mad at you the whole time."

Sunset gave Sonata a puzzled look, "I thought you just said you were glad I took away your magic?"

"Well, we weren't originally," Adagio replied, "We had just obtained Equestrian magic, we could feel it flowing through us, and we had just overwhelmed the only obstacles in our way that could possibly stop us, that Princess and her group of friends..."

"Yeah, friends..." Sunset muttered.

"...And then you picked up that microphone and, well you took us out without breaking a sweat, so naturally, we directed all of our blame for our defeat, all of our anger, all of our everything, really, at you."

"To the point where," Aria continued, "Well, let me put it this way, if we had found you out there, like you were last night, barely alive on your final breath, we would have finished the job of whatever it was that put you there in the firs-"

Sonata quickly reached over and covered Aria's mouth. "Uh, I uh, I think what Ari is trying to say is that, we wouldn't really be having this conversation right now... because, you know, you wouldn't really be here to have it..." she said nervously.

"I get it, you would have killed me right there, you don't have to sugarcoat your words," Sunset replied bluntly. "So what changed?"

"Well, over time, as our anger slowly started to fade, we eventually realized what it was that was missing," Adagio replied, "Our hunger."

"What hunger?" Sunset asked.

"We would feed off the negativity of those around us, you could say it was the cost that came with our magic," Adagio continued, "It was fine back in Equestria, the magical energy we got there was enough, but when we were banished here, I'm sure you know magic doesn't exactly work the same here as it does back home, and that was the same for us."

"It's something you'll never quite understand, Sunset," Aria continued, "The energy here just wasn't enough to settle it, it was always there. That lust, that desire, that need to feed... It was horrific... And it would drive us crazy sometimes." Aria looked down at the floor.

"And now it's gone," Sonata said, a huge smile beaming on her face, "We didn't realize it because we were so angry at you, but the one thing we wanted to get rid of, that we would give anything to get rid of, was finally gone." Sonata seemingly lunged out of her chair and hugged Sunset, "Thank you so much!!!"

"Don't choke her to death now, will you," Aria said.

"Sonata!" Adagio called out. Sonata looked back at her and Adagio pointed at Sonata's now empty seat. Slowly, Sonata let Sunset go and eventually sat back down. "Sunset, I'm gonna say this as simply as I can. The three of us are deeply sorry for what we did to you and your school, and we are forever thankful for what you've done for us. We owe you our lives, and if there's ever anything we can do for you, then just ask."

"Did you just say you, owe me your life? You really mean that?" Sunset asked. The three sirens simply nodded. Sunset thought about this to herself. If they really were telling the truth, and right now there was no evidence she could think that would point to them lying about this, then chances are she understood what they were probably going through. They wanted to reach out to someone, someone who they thought would forgive them for what they had done. Just like she had.

"So, whatdya say?" Sonata began, "Can we uhh, can we be friends?" she asked, "Pretty-please?"

"Friends?" Sunset asked. "Why would you want to be friends?" she asked harshly.

The three sirens stared at her in confusion, "Uh, Sunset?" Aria asked.

"Uh, well I didn't expect that kind of reply," Sonata replied nervously.

"Friends aren't worth it! In the end they'd only hurt you more than they help you!" She cried, as tears began to form in her eyes.

"Sunset, what are you on about?" Aria asked, "Didn't getting friends help you out?"

"I don't have any friends, and besides, they'd only turn on you when it's convenient!" Sunset burst out crying,

"Don't have any?" Adagio asked, "But what about those other girls and that Prin-" It all suddenly clicked into place in Adagio's head, "-cess..." Her eyes remained fixed on Sunset, who was now crying into her hands. "They didn't..." Adagio muttered under her breath.

"What is it Dagi?" Sonata asked.

"Sunset, please tell us what's wrong!" Aria said.

Adagio had pieced it all together, every time she had brought up Sunset's friends, she had seen the pain Sunset had been trying to conceal. "They really didn't..." Adagio said angrily. She was still looking at Sunset, she was looking for a sign that she might be wrong, but there just wasn't one.

"What is it Adagio!?" Aria asked.

"Yeah, if you've figured something out then tell us already!" Sonata replied.

Adagio didn't reply, instead she focused on the final few pieces that would unfortunately confirm her suspicion. She was the one Trixie was looking for last night, and she had just said that your friends would eventually turn on you, and earlier, when she was about to leave, she had said she had 'nowhere to go', and you don't just say something like that. It all seemed to point to that one conclusion. "Sunset," Adagio began. Sunset finally moved her hands away from her face, and looked at Adagio. "Please, tell us what happened." And I hope to Celestia that I'm wrong about this.

Author's Note:

I have no idea why this came out so quickly.

Any and all criticism and comments are appreciated.