• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 23,507 Views, 771 Comments

In a time of need - Small Muffin



After being abandoned by her friends, Sunset Shimmer wanders the steets alone, with no hope left, she gives up, only to be saved at the last second. Meanwhile her friends are trying to find her, and apologize for what they've done.

  • ...
27
 771
 23,507

Unlikely saviors

The streets of Canterlot were filled with a cold air, as snow fell down onto the sidewalk. People were rushing through with some of their christmas shopping, trying to get out of the freezing streets as quickly as they could. All except for one person. One person who had lost everything she had in a few simple days.

Sunset walked alone through the cold streets. Wearing her thickest coat, gloves and pants. Knowing how cold it had been the last few days she had worn as much as she could, but it wasn't helping her much.

After being abandoned by those she trusted the most, those who said they would always be there for her, she had given up with her life at CHS, and simply wanted to get as far away from it as possible. She had written a letter to Twilight explaining her problem, and asked for any advice she could give, but she hadn't responded. Just like the others, she had left her.

As she continued through town, as she had done for the last few hours, she turned into an alleyway, rested her back onto the icy brick wall, and slumped down onto the ground. She wrapped her arms around her legs, in an attempt to keep herself warm, as the freezing air surrounded her.

Despite her hours of walking, she didn't have any idea where she was going to go, and it had only just dawned on her that she had nowhere to go, and no one to turn to.

As she tried to get up, she felt her legs give out from the freezing air, and fell forward, leaving her laying helplessly in the snow. "I give up," she muttered as she stopped trying, and accepted her death. She would freeze to death out here, in a part of town she didn't even know, and in the end, no one would miss her. She closed her eyes, and waited for it to all end.

"Hey, aren't you...?" Sunset opened her eyes slightly as she heard a familiar voice, but all she could see from where she was were the legs of the one in front of her. Her head fell back down into the snow below her, and she felt everything around her fade away.


"SUNSET! OPEN UP! WE NEED TO TALK TO YOU!!!" Rainbow banged on Sunset's apartment door, shivering in her coat, as she tried to get her attention.

Only a few hours ago, the three crusaders of their school, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, had come out and admitted that they were Anon-A-Miss. Naturally, everyone was rather angry at them to say to least, but Rainbow and the five girls behind her needed to see Sunset.

"COME ON SHIMMER, OPEN UP! IT'S FREEZING OUT HERE!" she yelled as she continued to bash as loudly as she could on the door in front of her.

"Dear, we're so sorry for what we've done, and we just want to explain ourselves," Rarity said in a much lighter tone. "So could you please open up?!"

"No offence but, I don't even think she heard that," Pinkie said. She was on her mobile, calling Sunset's apartment phone, with no results. "Come on, pick up already!"

"Try her mobile again," Applejack replied, "Maybe she's turned it back on."

Pinkie rolled her eyes in annoyance, "I was trying that less than ten minutes ago, and I've been trying since before Twilight got here!" she pointed to the girl in question, who was shivering in one of Rarity's thick coats, as the mirror-portal didn't give her one when she arrived.

Twilight walked up to Dash and the front door. "Sunset? It's me Twilight. I told you I was coming as soon as I could, I want to help sort this mess out. So could you open the door and let us in?" she said to no avail.

Rainbow gave ot a sigh, "That's it, we're coming in." She unziped and reached into one of her coat pockets, and pulled out a long, thin piece of metal. She leaned forward, and inserted the metal piece into the lock.

"Um, Rainbow, what are you doing?" Fluttershy asked as Dash continued to mess about with the lock.

"I'm getting us in, what does it look like?"

"Uh. Dash, I know our worlds have some rather... significant differences, but I'm pretty sure this is illegal," Twilight said.

"Rainbow, I'm afraid to ask this but, why do you know how to do this?" Rarity asked dryly.

"Because I've been locked outside my own house too many times, besides, it's not that hard to learn." There was a click, as the door opened, and Rainbow stood back upstraight. "We're in."

The six of them walked into the the small apartment. The place was a mess, papers and books scattered around the floor by her desk. A small radio, laptop, and a tv were sitting on a chest of drawers opposite her bed, which looked like it hadn't been properly made in weeks, her school bag was open, sitting in the corner of the room, an overflowing bin, and two doors to other sections of the apartment.

"This is where Sunset's been staying all this time?" Fluttershy asked.

"How could she live in this?" Rarity asked.

"I guess this is why we never had a sleep-over at her place, this place is tiny," Pinkie said.

"Sunset?" Applejack called out, "Yall are here, r-right?"

"Yeah, come out will you," Rainbow added. Neither of them got an answer, and Rainbow rushed into the kitchen, "Come on! This isn't funny!" She yelled desperately. Still no answer. "She's... She's not here," Dash said worriedly.

Twilight heard a light ringing sound, "Wait, do you girls hear that?" The six of them listened closely, and quickly pinpointed that the sound was coming from the pile or books.

"I think we found her phone..." Pinkie said weakly, as Twilight walked over to the pile and moved some of the papers away.

"No... This is..." Twilight picked up the source of the sound. It was her magic book, ringing and vibrating in Twilight's hands, implying Sunset had a new, unread message from Twilight. "It's her book," she told the others as she opened it to the page with the new message.

Twilight saw it was the same message she had sent to Sunset earlier, about coming to help sort this out. Slowly, she pieced together what this must have meant. "If this is new, then she was already gone before I sent it..." her face twisted into one of pure horror. "So, she's been gone for at least three hours!"

"In this weather!" Applejack said, "We've gotta go find her, right now!"

"Are you insane!" Rarity replied, "You did see the weather report earlier right? This is only going to get worse!"

"Well, we can't just leave her out there!" Rainbow yelled, "She'll freeze to de-"

"Don't even think about that!" Twilight interrupted, "Rarity's right, if this weather is going to get worse, then we'd be insane to try and find her right now."

"But... Fine," Dash said reluctantly, "So what do we do now?" she asked.

"Who lives the closest to where we are right now?" Twilight asked.

"Me," Fluttershy replied, "My house is about five minutes away. I never knew I lived so close to her."

"Then we'll stay there for the night, and tomorrow, we're going to find her." The six of them walked out of the apartment, and Pinkie closed the door behind her, being the last one out. "We have to believe that she'll be alright, that she'll make it through this."


Sunset felt herself wake up. She was lying in a rather comfortable bed, as she opened her eyes slightly to see the ceiling above her. Just a dream, she thought with a sigh of relief. She saw her clothes were folded up at the end of the bed, and she was now wearing a dark blue shirt and black pajama pants under the large duvet.

She closed her eyes, still feeling incredibly tired, but they shot open quickly when she realized, she didn't own these clothes. She then heard a nice sounding hum coming from next to her, and quickly leaned up, pushing the bed duvet off her, and looked towards the source of the sound.

Sonata Dusk, one of the three sirens from a few months ago, was sat, leaned up against a wall, wearing the same things Sunset was, reading a comic, when she realised Sunset was awake now. "Sunset! You're awake?!" she said with a smile, as she bounced to her feet.

Sunset recognized her almost immediately. "You... aren't you one of the..?" she asked, wide eyed.

"SHE'S AWAKE!" Sonata shouted, interrupting Sunset.

The door on the other side of the room from where the two of them was opened, and the two other sirens walked in, also wearing more or less the same things, with a few colour differences. Aria gave a relieved sigh, "Thank Celestia."

Sunset felt a chill rush down her spine, as the two of them came closer and closer. "W-what do you want?!" she asked, unable to hide the clear fear in her voice, as she jolted off the bed, and backed away as much as she could, eventually reaching a closed window.

"Easy now. We're not going to hurt you Sunset," Adagio began calmly, "If we wanted to... you wouldn't be here right now."

"What do you mean?" she asked nervously.

"You really don't remember?" Aria asked, "You were freezing to death in the streets. You're lucky we found you when we did."

"That was... That was you?" Sunset asked.

"Yeah, you've been out for hours now, and you've got about five million calls and messages," Sonata replied. She climbed her way over and off the other side of the bed, and walked over to Sunset. "Are you okay?" she asked.

Sunset was surprised to see the look of genuine concern in the siren's eyes. "I'm... I'm fine." She looked over to the other two, who looked just as concerned, "So, you three... saved me? You three?! Why?" she asked, not about to let her guard down right now.

"We can talk about that in the morning, right now, you need to get some sleep," Aria replied.

"No thanks, I think I'll just leave now," Sunset said, just wanting to get out of here.

"No can do." Sonata walked over to Sunset, and pulled one of the window curtains aside, revealing a huge snowstorm outside. "That storm has only been getting worse and worse, and you're lucky to still be alive right now. There's no way you'd make it home!"

"Sonata's right, you are not going out there, especially in the state you're in," Adagio said.

"What state? I'm fine," Sunset asked, walking slowly back over to the bed.

"No you're not," Adagio replied. Sunset looked at her, and Adagio saw something in her eyes. It was more than just fear of the three around her, there was something else. "You're really not..." she said as she tried to make out what it was.

The constant stare was very quickly making Sunset uncomfortable. "Um... Dagi, what is it?" Sonata asked.

Adagio shook her head, snapping her back to reality. "S-sorry, I was... Sorry about that." She walked over to Sunset at the other side of the bed, and put her hand on her shoulder reassuringly. "I know how this must look to you, the last time we met we almost killed you and your friends. But we really aren't going to hurt you," she said calmly.

"Yeah, my friends," Sunset mumbled.

"Just stay the night, you can leave in the morning if you want, we won't do anything," Aria added.

As much as she didn't want to, Sunset was still unbelievably tired, she could lay on that bed and be out like a light. Although, it wasn't like she had much of a choice in the matter, as the storm outside basically meant she was stuck here. But the way they were talking to her, and the looks of concern they all had, it was clear the three of them were worried about her, but why?

"Alright, you win," Sunset said reluctantly, with no other real choice, "I'll stay the night."

The three of them gave a sigh of relief. "Thanks Sunset," Sonata said, "Oh, you've probably noticed by now, but I leant you a pair of my pj's for the night, and your other clothes are nice and clean for the morning."

"Yeah I uh... I noticed," Sunset replied slowly, sitting back, and then laying down on the bed.

"We'll see you in the morning Shimmer," Aria said as she and Adagio walked to the door, and out the room.

Sonata followed behind them, but stopped and spun around right before she was about to leave. "Do you want anything? Water? Comic book? An extra pillow?"

"No, I'm... I'll be fine," Sunset replied nicely.

Sonata nodded, "Oki-doki. Good night Sunset," she replied back as she turned off the light switch, before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. "Sweet dreams."

Sunset gave a weak smile, before pulling the large duvet back over her, resting her head on the soft pillow, and almost immediately drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note:

Any and all criticism and comments are appreciated.