• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 3,000 Views, 115 Comments

Daughter of the Moon - CartoonNerd12



The sequel to The Midnight Dance and Sweet Pea. The sisters set out to break their cousin, Cadence's curse.

  • ...
10
 115
 3,000

Chapter 2

"Tell us some of your adventures, Shining Armor!" Rainbow Dash said at the dinner table, where the whole family was seated except for the youngest princesses, who were currently living with their husbands in Marendelle. The children were at a separate dinner table while the grown-ups sat at the big table.

"Actually, I want to know what's been going on here."

"Oh, nothing much, darling. Just that we started our own kingdom and began to have families." said Rarity.

Pinkie piped up, "But before that, we were forced to get married to princes and we were really sad about that! We were already dating our special some ponies until we were taken by an evil queen who struck a deal with our cousin to have one of us as his wife! Then there was this giant battle where Spike almost died! Then our dad shows up all shadowy and we broke the curse by declaring true love! Twilight got her wings, we all got married, and now we're all living happily ever after!" she grinned.

Shining was stunned and finally said, "Uh… Wha… What?" he looked to Twilight for help.

She groaned and held her head, "It's a very long story…"

"Mm-hmm." the rest of the sisters and their husbands agreed.

Shining looked around the table. He could see King Sombra and Queen Celestia looking happy, just as Fluttershy and Discord were happy. Rarity and Fancy Pants were as well, then Applejack and Spike, Rainbow and Soarin', Pinkie and Cheese, and finally Twilight and Flash. He realized Princess Luna wasn't there, but that was probably because she was about to go on her nightly duties for Equestria.

Back when he was a colt, he didn't see much of the princesses until he was older when he became a royal guard. Twilight was the exception since he met her as a filly. He realized then that someone wasn't there and turned to Twilight, whispering in her ear.

"Hey, Twilight… Where's Cadence?"

Twilight's eyes widened and she dropped her fork, causing a huge clang.

They all turned to her with confusion.

Celestia asked, "Are you alright, my darling?"

"Fine! Don't worry about me…" she lowered her head, "But… Mother… I have to know something… I've wanted to know for a long time now, but when everything started happening, I couldn't find the right time to ask you."

"Yes?"

She took a deep breath, "Where is Cadence?"

The other girls stopped eating right then and there, giving off sad looks and faced their mother, wanting to know the same answer. The boys gave each other puzzling glances, not sure what was going on here.

Celestia and Sombra exchanged surprised looks, but slowly gave solemn expressions. The queen looked over to where the children were and said, "Children?"

The kids turned towards their grandmother.

"If you're done eating, why don't you head up to your rooms? Grandmama and Grandpapa will make sure you get dessert in bed."

"Mom!" the girls shouted.

There was a cheer as the kids left the room. Celestia did a small smile before turning back to serious.

"Um? Am I missing something here?" Discord scratched his head.

Flash questioned, "Who's Cadence?"

Celestia gave a sigh as Sombra nodded his head, and she began explaining, "Princess Cadence was Luna's daughter and the girls' cousin…"

The guys had wide eyes, surprised by this development.

Spike asked his wife, "Why didn't you tell me this?"

Applejack lowered her head in shame.

Celestia continued to explain, "Cadence was with the girls long before you came to us, Spike. Before Discord was released from stone, before Fancy Pants took over as Head Butler, before Soarin' became a Wonderbolt, before Cheese Sandwich set up shop, and before Flash Sentry became a royal guard… Princess Cadence was my sister's daughter and played with my daughters Fluttershy and Rarity at the same time…"

Discord and Fancy looked over to their wives, who had saddened expressions on their faces.

"When my daughters Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie were born, Cadence would look after them when the rest of us were busy…"

Spike, Soarin', and Cheese saw their beloveds looking upset, obviously remembering a time that Cadence did something with them.

"When Twilight was born, Cadence was watching her constantly. As my youngest grew, she and Cadence did just about everything together. Didn't you, my darling?"

Twilight nodded her head, trying so hard to hold back tears. When she couldn't, she cried into her husband's shoulder. He gave her a sympathetic look and embraced her. He noticed Shining Armor was giving off a miserable look as well. He couldn't figure out if was for Twilight's expense or not.

When Twilight stopped crying, she wiped away tears to face her sad parents. "So… do you know where she is? You told us a long time ago that she went somewhere and wouldn't be back until the time was right…"

Celestia lowered her head, "I do not… I was just as upset at Cadence's disappearance as all of you were… It was Luna who announced her daughter's departure… All she told me was that Cadence was safe and fine. I never questioned what had happened because I saw the pain in my sister's eyes… The same pain I felt when I lost Sombra…" She held her husband's hoof and he grasped it, "When I nearly lost you, my darlings… And when I thought Sweetie Belle was lost to us…"

"So… only Aunt Luna knows?" asked Twilight.

"Yes…" her mother replied, "but it's a tough subject for her. It'd be best not to mention anything unless she says something first…"

The girls nodded in agreement.

Twilight said, "Yes, Mother, and thank you…" she turned towards Shining Armor, but saw he wasn't there anymore.

Shining Armor ran outside. He heard enough of what happened to Cadence. At first, he thought he could return to Canterlot to see if he could see her. All that time ago, Cadence was busy learning to be a princess just as he was starting his commission with the royal guard. When he returned to Canterlot to see her, he learned that she had suddenly disappeared! He made it to the gardens where they had first met and had met there ever since… He found the tree where she had found him. He saw it still had their nicknames 'Shiny + Cady' in a heart. He slumped by it in despair, wondering if he would ever see his sweetheart again…

Cadence was preparing for the trip that was first thing in the morning. She knew that the Breezies had to get an early start when the portal opened up and that they had to catch a breeze to activate their magic to help them get across Equestria.

"I can't wait to see how things have changed since I've gone…" she climbed in a large walnut-shaped bed. "I wonder how the girls have grown… I wonder if they found special some ponies to be in love with…" Then, she thought of another pony, one who was very dear to her heart… "I wonder how Shining Armor is…" She closed her eyes and memories of meeting Shining Armor in the Canterlot gardens came to her.

She waved him over, "Shiny!"

He rushed over with a wide grin on his face.

They soon talked about how their days were and enjoyed each other's company. When it was almost time for her to go, he quickly used his magic to crave into the tree where they first met. She saw him writing their nicknames and drew a heart around it. She was so touched by the gesture that she gave him a kiss on the cheek, which made him go red all over.

She found herself crying, "Oh, Shiny… How things could have been different…" She cried herself to sleep.

The next morning had arrived as the large group of Breezies was ready to venture out into the world on their quest for pollen. Sea Breeze was in the front of the pack with Cadence right behind him. He shouted a command in the Breezie language and they all went through the portal.

Cadence felt her heart fluttering. She was finally on her way back home. She was excited, but scared at the same time. To calm herself, she started singing, "Heart, don't fail me now… Courage, don't desert me… Don't turn back, now that we're here… Ponies always say life is full of choices… No one ever mentions fear… Or how the world came seem so vast, on a journey… To the past! Somewhere down this road, I know someone's waiting, years of dreams just can't be wrong! Arms will open wide; I'll be safe and wanted, finally home where I belong! Well, starting now I'm learning fast… On this journey… To the past! Home, love, family… There was once a time I must have had them too… Home, love, family… I will never be complete until I find you! One step at a time, one hope then another, who knows where this road may go! Back to who I was… On to find my future… Things my heart still needs to know… Yes, let this be a sign… Let this road be mine! Let it lead me to my past… And bring me home… At last!"

At the castle, it was morning chaos, literally…

Screw Ball was crying and Fluttershy tried to comfort her daughter.

"Oh, what is it, baby? Are you hungry? Do you need to release gas? You want to play with your blocks?" Then, in one sniff, she knew what it was, "Oh… Discord!"

He popped up to her, "Yeah, honey?"

"Can you change Screwy while I finish packing for home?"

"Sure!" he teleported Screwy in his arms and he smelled the stink, "Woo-wee! That's a stinker!" He told his daughter at eye level and said in baby-talk, "Probably because you are one, aren't you, my little atrocity…?" The stink grew stronger. He had a clothes' pin on his nose and took his daughter in the next room.

Fluttershy was getting a bag ready when she suddenly heard shouts.

"Hold still! Ow!" There was a tinkle sound, "Hey! Give me that water squirter! Don't make this any-" There was a clang and a bang.

That made Fluttershy shout out, "Is everything okay in there?!"

"Fine! Just fine! No need to- Ah! Get down from there!" He stuck his head out, "No need to be concern!" he went back.

"Oh, my…"

In their guest room, Applejack was trying to feed Apple Jewel some ground-up gems.

"Come on now, Jewel. Have a bite for Mama?"

She fussed in her high chair.

"Now how can you not like it if you never tried it?"

And still she fussed.

"You know it would be easier if Daddy helps out!"

"Hey!" Spike called from the bed, "I had to stay up all night with her! Now it's your turn!" he flopped the pillow on his face.

"But you know she never eats a new gem combo without her daddy taste-testing it first! I would eat it except… Ponies don't eat gems…"

He groaned and sulked out of bed. He took the spoon from Applejack, "Watch Daddy, Jewel." He took a bite and swallowed it. "See? It's good, now you try."

Apple Jewel opened her mouth widely and Spike fed her until it was all gone. Spike wiped his claws, "And that's how it's done."

Jewel had a funny look on her face and suddenly, she let out a burp that spouted out green fire, which charcoaled Spike's face. Applejack tried to contain her laughter and giggled out, "That's how it's done, alright…"

In the next room over, Rainbow shouted out, "Whirl Wind!"

The young colt flew in, "Yeah, Mom?"

"Where did you put my timer?"

"Oh… um…" he gulped.

Her eyes slit at him, "What happen?"

Sweat rolled down his face until he blurted out, "We were using it to time us to see who can fly faster!"

"Who's 'we'?"

"Me and Dad! I was sure I could beat him at his own pace!"

This actually intrigued her and smirked, asking, "And… did you?"

He smiled and nodded.

She wrapped her wing around her son, "Did he take it hard?"

"Nah… In fact, he's pretty proud of me, but he also claimed that he's getting older and that's why I was able to beat him so easily."

Rainbow gave a smug look and thought, Sure, you keep telling yourself that, Soar… We both know that I was always faster than you, so it's obvious that Whirl's inherited that…

"Aren't you going to ask me for what happened to the timer?" her son questioned.

"Uh? Oh, yeah! So what exactly happened to it and where's your lazy father?"

"Well… you see, when we were getting back to the castle, I… accidently dropped it…"

She sighed.

"I'm really sorry, Mom…"

"Oh, well. It wasn't that great a timer." she rubbed his head. "I can always get a new one."

"As for Dad, he went to see Aunt Spitfire and Aunt Fleetfoot before we left today."

She nodded in understanding. She knew her husband was still a Wonderbolt, even if he wasn't doing very many performances lately. When he married her and became a prince, he had to give up most of his performing times. Soarin' tried to hide it, but Dash knew better. Her husband missed performing for the adoring crowds. If she was in his position, she would feel the same way…

Across the hallway, Cotton Candy was bounced back and forth between her parents.

"Is it time to go yet?" she asked her mother.

"Not yet." Pinkie replied.

"Is it time to go yet?" she asked her father.

"Not yet." replied Cheese.

She kept repeating the question until her parents had to shout, "No!"

Pinkie gave a sigh and said, "Why don't you see Grandma and Grandpa quick before we leave?"

"Okay!" she bounced out of the room.

Both husband and wife sighed in relief and had their backs against each other.

Rarity was packing things up when she felt a kick and she called for her son, "Dignity, sweetheart, could you help Mummy pack? I need to eat something for your baby brother or sister."

"Yes, Mother!" he came to take over.

Fancy Pants already had a glass of orange juice waiting for her.

She magically took it to drink, "Thank you, dearest."

"It's my pleasure."

"I'm so excited. Finally, just one more month to go! We're going to have to narrow down that list of baby names when we get home."

"But of course."

They were about to lean in for a kiss when they heard a grunt and a yelp. They turned back to see their son on the floor with an overloaded suitcase that popped back open.

Rarity sighed as Fancy went over, "I'll get it. You just take it easy now."

"Thank you…"

Twilight was hard at work as usual, trying to make sure everything was in place. "Let's see… books, check… toys, check… quills, check… parchment, check…"

"Honey, I think that's everything." pointed Flash.

"Hold on. I'm going to double-check the check list to make sure we didn't miss a thing!"

"But didn't you just…" Fire started, but his dad stopped him.

"Your mother likes to be very thorough, so no use fighting it…" After six and a half years of being married to Twilight, Flash got use to her antics of keeping everything in order. As the next queen of Equestria, it was important for Twilight to have everything under control.

There was a knock at the door and Shining Armor came in.

"Hey, just thought I would give you a hoof with any luggage you have ready?"

Twilight beamed and started to say, "That would be-"

But Flash quickly said, "That won't be necessary! I got it!" He started carrying out the bags around his body.

Shining asked, "Sure you don't need help there?"

"No, no! I can…" he struggled, "…do this!" He slowly got out of the door. Fire Spark followed after him.

Twilight looked on with confusion and addressed Shining, "Sorry about that… Usually, Flash lets any pony help out. I don't know why he wants to do things by himself suddenly…"

"It's okay. No big deal. You got an amazing husband there."

"He is pretty special, just like you."

"Is that why you fell in love with him? Because he reminded you of me?"

"Sort of, but there were also many other reasons why I love Flash…"

"Just like when I loved Cadence…" he sighed.

She grasped his shoulder in comfort, "Shining Armor, I'm sorry… I had no idea that Cadence's disappearance was a secret kept by my aunt. Like you, I thought she was sent to learn about being a princess. I thought she would be back before my sisters and I got married, but it's been so long now that I'm starting to think there's more than what my aunt's letting on…"

"Is there any way for you find out the truth?"

"Maybe, but Aunt Luna keeps things to herself a lot. It'll be hard to reach out to her about her missing daughter, especially if she doesn't want about talk it. As my mother said, she would have to talk first…"

Shining Armor pondered on this. She was right: Princess Luna was mysterious and any information he could get about Cadence could be lost if he provoked the princess. No matter how desperately he wanted to find her, he would have to be patient and let Twilight handle this.

He nodded his head in agreement.