• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 2,964 Views, 115 Comments

Daughter of the Moon - CartoonNerd12



The sequel to The Midnight Dance and Sweet Pea. The sisters set out to break their cousin, Cadence's curse.

  • ...
10
 115
 2,964

Chapter 4

For the last few days, things were just as they always were in the Everfree Castle. The sisters took turns doing the royal duties, their husbands were on call in case their wives needed something from them, and the kids were playing while their nursemaids watched over them. The babies were the nursery while the servant, Cheerilee, was looking after them.

Twilight was doing the paperwork, but she was a bit distracted due to her husband's odd behavior. When they came home a couple days ago, he seemed much happier and had been doing things for her. She was confused by this change in mood, considering that he looked upset when they had left Canterlot. But now, he was cheery and making himself more helpful than he needed to be.

She was about to place her signature on the next form when a plate with a daisy sandwich and a glass of water was placed in front of her. She looked up to see her husband smiling at her.

"Just thought you needed a snack, since you've been busy going through all these papers from this morning."

"Oh… Well, I appreciate the thought, dear, but… I'm afraid I'm not hungry at the moment…"

"If you're not hungry, then is there anything else I can get you?"

"Uh, no, thank you… You know, you hadn't fussed over me since I was pregnant with Fire Spark… And last time I checked, I didn't make any indication I was pregnant again."

"But do you want to be?" he asked with hopeful eyes.

"What?! No! I mean… sure, another child would be…" she rubbed her arm, "…nice…" then she shook her head, "…but we're getting off topic here."

"Are you kidding? I should have thought of it sooner! Come on, Twi. Don't you think that Fire would want a brother or sister? Dignity is about to become an older brother. Won't Fire Spark get envious later about not having a sibling to play with?"

Twilight actually pondered on this until she gave her answer, "That may be true, but I don't think it would matter as much because he's already got plenty of cousins to hang out with…"

"But what happens when his cousins might be doing something with their own parents? Won't he feel lonely?"

"Well… when you put it that way…"

"See?" he wrapped his hooves around her and said in a low voice, "So… Wanna have a romantic evening out?" he nuzzled behind her ear, which made her giggle.

She said between the giggles, "Flash… Flash… Not tonight… We got so much… work to do!"

"Aw…" he showed off a pouty face, "Please…?"

She sighed, "You know I would love to… But there's just so much going on right now that… we can't… I'm sorry…"

"Oh…" he gave off a disappointed glance.

"Hey…" she lifted his chin, "…I promise, though… the first chance that things let up, then we can have that evening out…" she winked.

That made his spirits rise as he smiled at her.

What was I so worried about? I got an amazing wife who loves me unconditionally… But he realized, But then… why hasn't she told me about Shining Armor before? Was she ever going to even if he hadn't shown up?

She looked on in concern, seeing the frown on his face, "What's wrong?"

"Well… um…" he rubbed his neck, "It's just…"

He was suddenly interrupted by the rapid knock at the door and a voice saying, "Twilight! Oh, are you there?"

"Fluttershy?" Twilight went to open on the door as her sister walked in.

"Oh, thank goodness. We haven't much time. The Breezies will be here tomorrow morning. We need to get everything ready to make sure they have an easy way to get home."

"How do you know they'll be here tomorrow?"

"I asked Discord to watch out for them and he assured me that they'll be here by tomorrow morning at the latest."

"Alright. Go gather the rest of the family and have them meet us in the throne room. Rainbow and Soarin' would have to create the breeze for them to pass Ponyville while the rest of us would have to prepare for their arrival. Great job, Fluttershy."

"Oh, thank you, but I would do anything for the safety any creatures big or small…"

Twilight chuckled, "I know you do…"

The sisters did a quick hug before Fluttershy left. Twilight looked back to her husband, "Sorry about that. What were you going to tell me?"

Flash shook his head, "It's okay. It's not really important at the moment. We have other matters that need to come first." he gave a small smile.

"You're sure?" she questioned.

"Trust me, it can wait. Let's get to work on the Breezies' arrival."

"Alright…" she turned for the door, "I'll have to finish the papers tonight, so I won't be able to read a bedtime story to Fire. Can you do that?"

"Sure."

She kissed his cheek as she went out the door. Flash was still wondering why Twilight kept the Shining Armor topic quiet all this time, but he would have to wait until everything was done with the Breezies. Afterwards would be the perfect chance to bring up the Shining Armor inquiry.

I'm sure it has to be a good reason… right? He gave an unsure look.

The next morning came, all of Ponyville was excited for the one and only Breezies to be passing by soon. Rainbow was checking the breeze and shouted, "That's too strong!"

Soarin' said, "Oops…" He slowed his wing flaps along with a couple of pegasi helping them out. "How about now?"

"Better!" she said as she joined them in the wing flapping.

Whirl Wind watched his folks from the ground and turned to his Aunt Fluttershy asking, "How come Mom and Dad have to go slow to make the breeze?"

"Oh, well, the breeze is what activates the Breezies' magic. It's important they use the breeze to get back home with their pollen before the portal to their home closes."

"But why a slow breeze?"

"You see, the Breezies are very tiny creatures. If the breeze is too fast for them, then they would end up being blown all over the place, and we certainly don't want that happening… do we?"

"No, I guess not…"

"Don't worry. You'll see soon enough how tiny they really are…"

Twilight was at a podium getting note cards ready. She looked over to see her son and husband playing ball while waiting for the Breezies. This made her smile as she thought about what Flash said yesterday about having another baby. She liked being a mother, and with Fire Spark growing more by the day, she knew it would only be a matter of time before he was all grown up. She thought about her father and how he had to miss half a lifetime with her and her sisters. She didn't want the same thing happening to her.

She knew Fire would be a good big brother and would enjoy a little brother or sister. She had made her decision. Now the question was: how were they going to find the time? Between royal duties, spending time with the family, and raising their son, it was hard to find the right time.

Suddenly, Rainbow came to her and whispered, "Here they come…"

She nodded and said in a loud but quiet tone, "Everypony, it's time. Please welcome… the Breezies!"

Everyone turned their heads as they saw the fairy-like creatures coming in on the breeze. They marveled at the sight as they stood still.

Rarity whispered, "Such adorable packs they wear…"

Pinkie could hardly contain her excitement, "So… cute… can't take it!"

As the breeze kept the Breezies going, it also moved a leaf that was loose. The leaf broke off the branch and headed over to the Breezies. Cadence was in the front and saw this. She saw it was heading for Sea Breeze and pushed him aside. It caught hold of her as it disrupted the breeze and the Breezies started to get blown around.

The crowd gasped and Rainbow commanded, "Stop the breeze!"

The breeze was stopped as the Breezies tried to gain control. Sea Breeze realized then that Cadence was missing and shouted in Breezie.

Twilight saw the leaf falling to the ground and notice a pair of wings shimmering. She leapt into action as she caught it and saw the little Breezie wrapped in it. She asked, "Are you alright?"

Cadence heard the voice as she opened her eyes and saw a pair of violet eyes looking at her. When she got a good look at the face, she gasped and shouted, "Twilight!"

Twilight was taken aback. How could a Breezie know her name? "You know who am I?"

"Yes! It's me, Cadence!"

She gasped, "Cadence…? But how…? That can't be!"

Cadence started the rhyme, "Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake, clap your hooves and…"

Twilight's eyes widened, "…and do a little shake…" The Breezie smiled at her and Twilight could see the Breezie's coloring closer now and it hit her, "Cadence! Oh, my… it really is you!"

"Cadence?!" her sisters shouted in surprise as they went over.

"Oh, girls!" said Cadence, "It's been so long! Look at you!"

"Well, look at you!" pointed Rainbow Dash, "Why in Equestria are you a Breezie?!"

"Yes, darling, and where have you been?" said Rarity.

"Well… it's a long story…"

"Whoa, whoa!" said a voice and up came Spike with the other husbands surrounding them, "Let me get this straight: that's Cadence?!"

Discord had a magnifying glass out, "Hmm, not what I expect from a pony princess."

Cadence looked at the stallions in confusion, "Oh, and who are all of you?"

Applejack gestured, "These here are our husbands. Spike is my husband."

The girls each introduced their husbands.

"I'm very pleased to meet all of you." It surprised Cadence that her cousins Fluttershy and Applejack would marry different species, but she was happy for them since love could come in all forms.

Twilight began asking, "So what happened to you? Why did you vanish for a long time?" She kept asking questions, which was hard for Cadence to get a word in edge-wise until Twilight felt a hoof tap and saw her son.

"Uh, Mom? What about the Breezies?" he pointed back to the large group of Breezies.

"Oh, goodness!" Fluttershy exclaimed as she went to them, "I almost forgot! Oh, please forgive my inconsideration."

Cadence landed on top of her head, "It's alright, Fluttershy…"

Sea Breeze pointed, "Cadence, we need to go."

"Yes, of course… I just…" She looked back to her cousins. She hadn't seen them in so long and she wanted to know everything that had happened while she was gone, especially her mother… She went to Sea Breeze and said to him, "I cannot thank you enough for everything that you have done for me and my mother… But I cannot come back with you and the others…"

"But I have sworn to protect you! Who will keep you safe if I am not around?"

"I will." Twilight said.

"Me, too!" Rainbow proclaimed.

"So will I!" said Rarity.

"You can bet I would!" claimed AJ.

"Me, too! Me, too!" Pinkie bounced.

"Oh, I would be very careful with Cadence and keep her safe!" said Fluttershy.

Cadence smiled, "This is my family and I know they will protect me… I trust them with my life… Which, technically, I am…"

"Just… be safe. I wouldn't forgive myself if something bad happened to you!"

"Aw, Sea Breeze…" she gave him a hug.

Then he went up to Twilight's face and firmly said, "You take good care of her… you hear?"

Twilight nodded, "We will, I promise…" she made the Pinkie promise. The other girls followed suit.

The Breezies said their goodbyes to Cadence as Rainbow and Soarin' went up to start the breeze again. The Breezies went up to the breeze and were back to where they were before the leaf caught them off guard. They kept moving and soon they were out of sight.

Cadence was aware it would be hard now living in Equestria as a Breezie, but she wanted to take matters into her own tiny hooves. Curse or not, she was going to live her life. While her appearance may have suggested otherwise, she was a pony at heart.

Twilight held her hoof out and she landed on it, "Let's get you back to our castle…"

Cadence took in the surroundings of the library in the Everfree Castle. She was on a table while her cousins gathered around her. They agreed to take turns answering each other's questions. Cadence finished answering all of Fluttershy's questions about what it was like to live with the Breezies. Her cousins answered her questions about her mother, Aunt Celestia, and Uncle Sombra. It surprised her that Uncle Sombra had to go through a dark curse while she was gone and the girls were fatherless for a while. They also told her about when they met and fell in love with their husbands.

"So… When Aunt Celestia was worried of the Changeling Queen coming after all of you, she made a proclamation making sure you would marry other royals across Equestria?"

"At the time, we didn't know the real reason. Just that we had to get married no matter what…" said Twilight.

"But my mother made this underground kingdom beneath your room to forget your troubles?"

"Mm-hmm." they all said.

"You knew then to bring the ones you truly love to this secret kingdom… where you could all be truly happy?"

"Yup! But shortly after your mom told our mom, we got kidnapped by the evil queen and were stuck in a dusty old dungeon and our honey-buns had to come to rescue us!" Pinkie gestured.

"My goodness!"

Rarity pointed, "But everything turned out alright in the end. We got our father back, Twilight got her wings, we had three new sisters-"

"Wait! Sisters? Wings?" She then saw Twilight's wings, "Oh, I can't believe I didn't notice them before!"

Twilight chuckled, "That's okay. We were both excited to see each other again, and I got these when Flash and I shared true love's kiss."

"Aw…"

"As for the sisters," said Applejack, "Rarity, Dash, and I had these younger girls helping us out in the castle back in Canterlot. I overheard Dad being upset about missing out on us growing up, so I suggested to the gals that we presented him and Mom three new daughters to raise."

"Are they there now?"

"Oh, no," said Rarity, "Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo are in Marendelle right now living happily ever after."

"Right," said Rainbow, "They just got married a while back and Scoots is about to have a kid soon."

"Oh, well, I hope to meet them someday."

"I'm sure they'll want to meet you, too." said Twilight, "But enough about us. What I want to know is… why are you a Breezie in the first place? What happened?"

"Well…" she drooped her wings, "It was like this…" Once she finished her story, the girls gave each other confused looks. "That's all I really remember… It's been so long that I can't quite recall the details…"

"We understand. We didn't remember anything about this castle or Nightmares attacking because Aunt Luna and our mother altered our memories. I bet the same thing happened with you… Aunt Luna may have made sure you would only remember the fact you were cursed, but to not remember who had cast the curse on you."

"I think you're right… Now, tell me more about your families and your sons and daughters."

Four of them started going off a tangent about their child while Applejack noticed the concern on Twilight's face. She took her aside and asked, "What's wrong, sugar cube?"

"I'm just worried for Cadence. How can we help break her spell if we don't know what kind of curse was placed on her?"

"You'll think of something. You're the smartest of us all."

"Thanks for the compliment, but if Aunt Luna couldn't reverse it, who's to say I can?"

"Come on now, you've read every single book from here to Canterlot. You know all kinds of magic, so you must have come across something that can help our cousin out…"

"Well…" she then used her magic to take out several books from the shelves. "There are a few spells, but I'm not sure if they'll work as much…"

"Hey, wait. What about Discord? Surely his hocus pocus might be enough!"

"Perhaps… but I'll have to ask. Discord may have great power, but will his power be enough to break the spell?"

"Only one way to find out…"