• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 9,110 Views, 182 Comments

The new Sombra - The tale of a villain, that tries to behave... like a villain? - Hoppa_21



Leon always had a lot of adventurous dreams in his life, but none of them could quite match this one. Being in the role of a unicorn villain, in a mysteriously well detailed world, in which he has to take over an entire empire!

  • ...
33
 182
 9,110

Chapter 3: Fa(i)lling Plans

POV: Princess Cadence

I remember Sombra’s defeat like it happened yesterday. I couldn’t put my joy into words. He was finally done and the Crystal Ponies could now live their life in peace.

I slept through the rest of the day with Shining. We deserved that much. Then we got more agitated in the night.

It had been a lovely night indeed. It just seemed that everything was going to be alright now.

But back then, I never thought that it would be such a strain to rule, even if it was just a small country. Even though it was nothing more than a city, it was stuck in the wrong era. It was completely displaced and a lot of questions had to be answered.

Food supply, electricity, water, sewerage… Either it was completely lacking, or outdated by a millennia. And don’t get me started on the ponies. As lovely as they are, their mind-set was outdated as well.

I mean, how do you introduce magical electricity to them? For them it was sorcery. I remembered that one time, when they burned refrigerators at the stake. It took all the guards and myself to stop them from causing any more destruction. And I don’t want to think about the protests and attacks on the newly built train station at the outskirts of town.

They were afraid, they felt displaced and I couldn’t really blame them. These ponies just needed some guidance, and I would do everything I could to provide it to them.

After an eternity of educating the Crystal ponies, or more precisely – almost three months – the most delicate situations were dealt with. But that doesn’t mean the paperwork got any less.

I was currently sitting in my study. The stacks of papers were towering high above me. The way it was leaning, it was a miracle, it didn’t collapse. It was a tedious and 24/7 job.

“Let’s see what we have here…” I looked at one of the proposals from the Crystal Ponies. “Subsidy for building a… large crystal statue of her savior Spike? As if we had the money for that. We are completely dependent on Equestria and I can’t waste a single bit on things like that now. The financial inspectors would rampage if they found out about that!”

It’s not that I think Spike didn’t deserve it. He played a primary part when it came to saving the empire, but I had a duty to fulfill. Maybe if things were different, but for now the main topic would be to boost the economy, as well as finish the other building projects. Food and water were a must, after all.

I massaged my temples as I looked at the other proposals. This sure would be a long day. “So, what’s next?” I asked as I levitated the next sheet in front of me. “Permission for a…pyre…” I stared at it for a moment. Seems like some crystal ponies are still having a hard time adjusting. I quickly dropped the sheet to the other ‘non-approved’ proposals.

It was kind of depressing that a lot of them were so absurd, that it simply was a waste of time, which I would have rather put into other efforts. But I couldn’t neglect my duties as a princess. I wanted to help and that’s what I was going to do. She just hoped the next ones would be less absurd.

I quickly levitated over the next proposal.

“Financial help and permission for building a comic store,” My eyes started gleaming, “Granted!” I cheered with a smile on my face. “I was getting low on reading material anyway.”

It was an urgent matter! It wasn’t exactly that exciting here. Everything just seems so predictable. The same routine every single day. Even the nights with Shining became predictable, but I don’t want to mortify him with that. He was stressed out as well and therefore a lot less energetic at night.

It wasn’t his fault. He had a lot of untrained guards to train and was therefore lucky that Celestia sent him some guards to help with the training. And as happy as I was to have gotten some support as well (would be strange if only Shining would get helped with his tasks after all), it did little in the end due to the overwhelming vast amount of tasks.

Suddenly the door burst open. “Princess! It is Crystal Climber! He is climbing up the Crystal Palace again!”

I let out an annoyed groan. Another usual event. We definitely don’t have enough Pegasi around here. “What about Flash Sentry? Is he not in reach?”

“I am sorry to inform you that he is still on patrol,” the guard answered ruefully.

I only sighed at this. Figures.

This Crystal Climber was an old pony and he just wouldn’t let anypony tell him what to do and what not to do. He would always lecture every single pony how he had survived Sombra and how he would not give up his freedom to the new government. That he has the right to do whatever he wanted. He once even compared me with Sombra. He is a rather difficult pony.

Seems like I’m off then to get this Crystal Pony off of the palace, before he can hurt himself. This will probably lead to an over increase in my workload, due to the lost time, but I’m a princess and have to tend to my subjects.

I just wished there would be more excitable distractions here. Sure, it would increase my workload, but I somehow need once in a while something to keep my mind off these duties. Just once sometime. Just a distraction. Anything would be welcome.

Just not Crystal Climber.


POV: Leon

Remember when I said how easy it would be to outrun the guards? The whole heavy armor thing, while I have a light cape and not that much armor myself? Well, things didn’t go quite that well. How could it go wrong, you ask? Remember the little Taurus from earlier? Yep? Then you can imagine how things went and if not, then let me explain it to you.

I was just running my way and trying to make some future plans, as I ran over the rooftops of the crystal buildings. The angry mob of guards pursued behind me, or at least I thought they were angry. It is hard to read those deadpan faces. Well, not fully deadpan. They look determined, but that’s it. They certainly don’t show more than that.

However, I didn’t want to deal with them, especially since I couldn’t even take on that female guardspony. I just didn’t know how to control my powers. And besides that, I didn’t know ANYTHING about this place. I probably – no, scratch that - I wouldn’t recognize the rulers if I stood right in front of them.

At least if they were dressed in civil clothing, which seems to be in the ponyworld a wisp of nothing. Nudists all over the place! Perverts. But let’s get back to running, which I did remarkably well, if you think about the fact that I was new to this four legs thing. Trailing off again, am I?

“I need a training ground and maybe some knowledge to help better prepare for the whole conquering business,” I thought out loud. My glorious conclusion. Knowledge is power! So better get out of there, but in a villain like way! I have a reputation to maintain.

“Surrender!” I heard the guards behind me shouting.

“Muhahaha! Pesky little guards. Don’t you know who I am?” I snickered, “Villainlike taunting and laugh: Check! So what is next on the list of evil deeds?” I pondered, “Destruction...and…how about…not to forget…”

Let’s just say I sometimes have a lack of ideas. I’m not always the creative one.

“How frustrati-“

CRASH!

And so I was run over by them, just like that. The little Taurus seemed to have used the same spell on her comrades. It increased their speed and let them tackle me. I was just hurled through the air like that. Just like a small supporting actor. A small role in a play. No one worth mentioning.

I slumped, slightly depressed to the ground. This sure wasn’t how things should go. If anything should be the case, when I should wipe the floor with them and not vice versa!

However I got up and looked around. I was on the edge of a rooftop. My back to the edge, where the main streets were. Surrounded by the guards. Shitty situation, but this is not a reason to lose my sense of humor.

I smirked. “Come on. A dozen guards against a single ma-stallion? You can’t be this SPAthetic!” Silence. “Get it?” More silence. I let out a depressed groan. These ponies don’t get the easiest puns. “Seriously, guys. I know, we are not at the spa anymore, but you don’t have to act like complete nitwits! It is not that hard to get my puns!” The guards just looked at each other confused.

Where is Miss Shine when you need her? At least she got my puns! Yeah, she didn’t like them and groaned every time I made one, but at least she got every pun I made! But on the other hand, she was making photos of me without my permission, while I was under attack and didn’t even help me, when I was trapped in a cube after heroically taking the blame for the spa incident for her. Not to mention that she was leaving me behind just now, as guards were chasing me over the rooftops! What a disloyal character. I really hate those the most…

Topic change! Maybe I should try rooftop puns. Would be more fitting and maybe the guards tend more to understand puns befitting the current situation.

“Surrender!” stated the female guardspony yet again. Not that I would seriously consider this. I looked at the edge of the roof and had an idea. Puns have to wait, it would seem.

I turned around and pulled the cape over my head, gripping it at both ends with my hooves, which was surprisingly pretty easy, considering the missing fingers. Game or dream logic, I guess. I looked weird to say the least. Me standing on two hooves with my cape over my head, grinning like a mad man. But believe it or not, I had a plan and I would pull through with it, no matter the cost.

I jumped and began to scream, “Geronimoooooooooooo!” leaving behind a dozen baffled guards.

And then the unthinkable happened. My cape got loose on my neck and therefore released itself. I was now falling with my two hooves on the ends of my loose cape, which was flickering in the wind. I then fell through a market stall, so I had at least did not suffer the hardest landing.

“Ow…” albeit not the softest landing either. “My parachute plan failed. And here I thought it would work perfectly in a dream.”

Don’t laugh! It didn’t seem like a bad idea at the time. I mean, what would you have done? Just standing there until the Taurus would use her fancy magic for a cube prison again? I highly doubt that she would fall for the same trick twice.

At least the dream logic saved me. I mean, it was pretty convenient, that a market stall was right on my landing spot.

Then I heard some magic zip in front of me. Well, magic is audible and I knew that sound all too well, since it was ruining my great roof escape. I looked up and saw the female guardspony in front of me.

“Yep. I definitely hate teleportation magic now.”

They glared at me.

“I feel like a cat on a hot tin ROOF! Heh, ROOF!” Still nothing more than confused looks. These guards really get on my nerves.

Well, might as well…

I smirked. “Crystal Stomp: Multiple Edition!”

My attempt to hurl the guards through the air was in vain. Normally, I would have planned just to raise a pillar for every one of those guards to get them hurled out of my way, but I somehow miscalculated my attack…again. In the worst possible way you can think of.

Yep, I was the victim of one of these pillars myself and I couldn’t raise nearly as much pillars as I wanted, so yeah, I definitely need more practice.

I only managed to raise four pillars and let’s just say, that I could only hurl ONE pony through the air, besides myself. So only one foe that really was affected by my attack. Kind of depressing. I should be able to do more! I will lose all of my dignity as a villain, if things continue like this! I mean, what will the fictive chil- uh…foals learn then when they are in school? ‘Hey, there was once this Sombra fella, but a dozen guards were enough to take him down! So enough of him and let’s get to a villain that is actually worth mentioning!’ Yeah, I could totally see that happening.

I was hurled through the air, letting out a manly, villain like scream. Yeah, manly and villain like. I refuse to say that I screamed like a little girl, because I didn’t do that and no one will tell you otherwise, HA!

However, I reached a peak over the building I was walking on earlier. I then fell down directly in the direction behind the building. So at least I got away from the guards. Of course, that would be useless if I would be a smudge on the ground after the landing. Panicked, I try to get a hold of my cape to try the parachute idea once again, but I somehow had too problems to make it in time.

That would definitely hurt…

Or so I thought, as I was landing on a pony. Lucky me. But I guess that is dream logic for you. I then looked down on a white Unicorn with a blue mane. He seemed unconscious.

I let out a sigh of relief. “Thanks, pal, even if you didn’t mean to help me in my landing.”

I then stood up and took a closer look at him. “Armor? He probably belongs to the guards, even if his armor is different. Better get out of here, since he probably isn’t glad about helping the public enemy number one.”

I then heard the stomping of hoofs. Things are getting better and better.

“Prince Shining Armor!” called the female guardspony, who was running with a few guards straight in our direction. An interesting initial situation.

“So he is the prince? Might as well give them a show. I am a villain after all.” I smirked as I stood up on two hooves triumphantly and let a hoof rest on the prince’s head. “MUHAHAHA! Look at this, mere guards! Your hero, your prince, your ruler is defeated. I only needed one move to finish him off! Uh, like unconscious off, not dead off. But you probably get my point.” I then stopped for a moment to take in the guards’ reactions to this. Their reactions ranged from hatred, to fear and bafflement. Finally a reaction! Just perfect. I then continued in a mocking tone, “I am taking him as a hostage and if you want him unharmed, then tell the princess that she has to hand me over the entire empire!”

“You scoundrel!” shouted one of the guards angrily, while others gritted their teeth. I only smirked. This really amused me.

I have to say that I really liked this new plan. If I’m too weak to take over the empire, then I can just use tricks. Hostages are always something a good villain would pull off. I then checked this point off on my mental list of villain deeds. Things are suddenly going great, especially since the guards took me serious and didn’t dare to move closer.

Nothing can stop me no-

“What are you doing?” I heard a childlike voice asking. It was in a shocked tone.

I turned around to see the little filly from earlier. I blanched and berated myself. It was clear that she liked this guy and this pose I’m in makes me look like…a villain.

God, why do things always have to be so complicated?

Tears of disappointment welled in her eyes.

Oh, god. Kids and the faces they can make. I would rather put up with ten of the Taurus sort than kids at this point.

I flailed with my ha-hooves in panic and tried to come up with a good, or at the moment, ANY explanation. “Well, uh, you see…This isn’t what it looks like! Exactly! I was just playing with…my new friend here!” I took him into my right hoof in, what you could call a semi-hug, as I was standing on my hind legs. Yep, this sure looked awkward, especially with my fake grin. “We were playing…you know…the thing were you…uh…Ah! We were having a little drinking contest and it looks like I won!” Great, I introduce a child to the concept of a drinking contest. I really am a bad influence. I’m wondering, if this actually gives me some villain points? But back to the topic, I had a foal to convince.

“That’s why he is unconscious and as to my posing…We made a bet! A posing bet! In which the winner of the drinking contest could strike a pose at the loser’s expense! So, we are just two new friends having fun! Nothing suspicious or villain like happened here!”

I let my smile grew wider, to underline my statement. She was looking skeptical, while I was sweating bullets under her stare. Did I ever mention that I just hate it to disappoint kids? Well, now you know! This will certainly make reaching my goals a lot harder.

After what felt like an eternity, she began to sigh, lifting the weight from my shoulders. “Stallions. Posing with an unconscious pony isn’t very nice and you should cease it. Also you shouldn’t really drink too much. My sister says it clouds the mind and is not healthy in a great measure.”

Man, this kid is really mature.

“Yes, ma’am. Sorry for scaring you like that.” I laughed nervously.

Then I heard a spear falling to the ground. I looked at the direction to see that all the guards had their jaws dropped. One of the guards was seemingly so shocked, that he was losing the grip on his spear. They probably didn’t expect a villain to be child-friendly.

“Great. I surely lost some villain points there,” I muttered under my breath and made sure the filly didn’t hear that. I must keep up appearances.

However, I couldn’t judge the situation any further, as the filly was suddenly dragged behind the guards by a light blue aura. She was rather surprised herself, as she squealed when the aura took her off the ground. She when looked shortly after rather annoyed and flailed in the magic, which did hold her in its grasp. Probably wasn’t new to this experience. But it reminded me of something, the fact that I really need to learn that levitation spell.

I saw the female guardspony talking to her. Looks like they had an argument and the filly wasn’t exactly happy. This really made me curious.

I then saw two guards taking her out of sight. With nothing else to do, I shrugged it off, before I had to chuckle as a thought crossed my mind. “Here I plan to take over the empire like a real villain, while I try to avoid to looking like a real villain in front of this child. I probably need to throw my principles over board in the near future, if I really want to succeed.”

I sighed. But that isn’t as easy as you might think.

I then let the body of the Prince slump back to the ground like a rag. Let’s say, that I have only so much compassion for children. He is a big boy. A few bumps wouldn’t hurt him.

I then kicked him extra once for good measure. He just ruined my reputation, so he deserved it anyway. Just to force me to act like a good guy… Actually, I should give him another kick. One simply isn’t enough. On the other hand, the guards were glaring at me for the first kick. Probably shouldn’t provoke them even more or they are going to kick me! They are probably even getting a real KICK out of it!

Yeah, I will better shut up now and proceed with the show.

I tried to focus again. “So, now back to busi-“ I was interrupted, as I noticed that the Prince was rising to his feet.

I was startled by this and slowly stepped backs sweat beginning to form on my brow. He was probably stronger than the guards and this put me in a difficult situation.

“I knew, I should have kicked him some more!” I said out loud, berating myself.

But things don’t necessarily have to go down. I mean, maybe he was weakened by the crash? Could be a possibility.

“Sir, are you alright?” I heard the approaching female guardspony say.

Great. I just gave up my hostage by backing away. I blame the guardspony for it. She really made me feel unsettled.

He slowly rose to his feet. “I’m fine.” He then locked his gaze on me, snarling.

Yep, definitely not good. He is probably miffed about the landing and the kick, but I couldn’t just run away screaming. I mean, I have a role to play here! My credibility was at stake if I don’t act like the villain I was supposed to be!

Ok, it’s settled then. Showtime!

I smirked with as much confidence as I could muster in my situation. “So here is our knight in SHINING ARMOR!” He glared at me with rage. Definitely not a fan of puns, and he didn’t even try to hide his feelings from me. Wow, that just sounded so wrong. Get your mind out of the gutter, Leon! You have no time for this!

So, where was I? Oh, yes. Emotions. Well, the other guards at least tried to keep their professionalism. But maybe we two had a history together, which made it personal for him? Well, I could try and figure it out. Hm… Let’s try a little provocation to see how hotheaded he is towards me. “What? Cat got your tongue, little Prince?” I really underlined the word ‘little’ as best as I could to mock him.

“SOMBRA!” he roared as he shot a laser from his horn.

Well, it worked.

I simply dodged his assault. It was an obvious action after all.

“His hothead level is over 9000!” I joked mostly to myself. It’s not like they would understand the reference anyway, if they can’t understand the easiest puns.

Soooo, definitely the highest hothead level, which usually means a personal connection of some sort.

Well, it is a typical symptom for heroes, when they face their arch nemesis. It also proves that he is the hero of this story then. At least I’m gathering information, but now back to the play!

“No need to be like that. We are old friends, aren’t we?” I mocked.

I could see the pure hatred in his eyes at my words, as he snarled, “Don’t make me laugh! I will rip you apart in two halves! I will smite you! I will strangle you! I will dismember you and feed you to the guard dog of the hell gates of Tartarus! I will bury you alive once and for all, so that you won’t hurt anypony important to me ever again!”

Oh, shit.

“Isn’t that a bit harsh and too sinister for a hero to say? I’m the villain here, so let me have the rip-you-apart speech,” I said, nervously rubbing the back of my head while sweating bullets. “Nice weather by the way, isn’t it?”

Yep, I was stalling for time now. You can’t blame me for that. I need a plan to make it out of here alive. It is too early for me to face the hero in an epic battle. And besides, he was probably stronger than those guards anyway. No need in picking a fight I can’t win.

“Silence! You don’t have any rights!”

“Could be, but it doesn’t mean, that I’m not RIGHT!” Man, I wished I could have had a drummer, for the famous small comedic effect. Maybe I should recruit one? But let’s get back to the topic, shall we?

“But let’s forget that for a moment. You aren’t going to lay a single hoof on me,” I said with a confident smirk. Of course it was only played. I’m not even sure how convincing I was, considering the pearls of sweat on my face.

“And why wouldn’t I?” Shining retorted angrily.

“Because there is an unknown threat you are not aware off. A threat so much bigger than me. Something you don’t know about, my little naive Prince. This enemy is going to smite the both of us. Let me enlighten yo-“

I then blanched. “Oh no! This can’t be! They are here already! We are doo-oo-oomed!” I half screamed/whined dramatically, as I held a hoof on my head, while pointing with the other behind them.

They quickly turned around to see…nothing.

“Gotcha!” I cheered happily. The old damsel in distress pose is always good for a dramatic role.

I was, meanwhile, running away from them. Seems like my acting classes had an effect after all. And here my acting teacher Miss Peterson always said that I wouldn’t be worth her salt. That I was too over the top. But I knew I had it in me! Hell yeah!

Just as I was happily running, I noticed that I wasn’t moving one inch. I then noticed the pink aura that had enveloped me.

Did I ever say that I hate Unicorns? I certainly do now. They make it really hard to escape with their fancy magic. But I had still an old trick up my sleeve.

I just follow one easy motto: ‘What worked once, will work also twice.’

I concentrated my magic, before bellowing: “Crystal Stomp!”

I grinned as the pillar rose from beneath him and was sure, that I was about to be released any moment now, when he was hitting the ceili-

Oh, crap.

“AHHHHHHHH!” I screamed, as I was dragged along with him towards the skies. But remember, a MANLY scream. Just thought I might as well underline it again.

His grip was then released high above the city. Not the best place to get released though, since I didn’t really have a plan for this situation. Or let’s say that the last two times I was in this situation, my plan failed and I wasn’t inclined on trying that again.

When I saw the Prince teleport to the ground, a thought hit me. “Why not use my magic?”

Yep, beware, because I had a master rescue plan! I could remember the shadow magic back by the train incident. If I could just concentrate long enough, I might be able to pull it off.

However, I started falling and therefore I had little time left. I closed my eyes in concentration. “Simple thinking. I need a simple protection, a simple form. Simple…”

I then shot my eyes open and used my magic, and then a black ball formed around me. A black ball that was almost as large as the street. Not quite what I planned at first, but it would probably do the job.

I plummeted to the ground, where an angry and eager Prince was already waiting. He readied his horn and gave a shot at the black mass right in front of him, but the magic bounced simply off the flexible ball and destroyed a nearby building.

I cheered at this. Seems like my shadows are a pretty good defense.

Shining meanwhile was initially shocked at this, but gathered his composure rather quickly. “Don’t let him pass, Guards!” he yelled, as he attacked again. He seemed determined, but it didn’t really have an effect on my defense.

He then blanched, as the ball was coming straight for him.

“Buck.” The last words of a failing hero. Actually, I could have gone for something more dramatic like: “Curse you Sombra! You may have won this time, but I’m going to return! This is far from over! You hear me! Justice will reign upon the lands, as you obtain your rightful punishment! And then the world will be finally at peace! An everlasting peace, with no hope of you returning and doing any further misdeeds! A peace that shall be known as the world peace! Whole nations will get together and party hard over the course of your demise! And then they get drunk, they will spill some juice over some high diplomats and cause some kind of non-war, with military just tackling each other peacefully and using the soldiers on the other side as targets for their spears. It will be a glorious age!”

…Maybe a little too long, if you consider his time limit. And maybe a little absurd over the second half, but I somehow couldn’t think of anything else.

It then landed on him with a thump and bounced happily off him in the direction of the town center.

A few bounces later it just rolled through the city, like it had no care in the world, ignoring the screams of the guards, who were overrun by the mass of shadows.

I would have actually enjoyed it. I mean, it was like bowling! I can’t tell you how many strikes I would have got, considering the huge amount of guards I ran over on my way. Unfortunately, I had a lack of control over this thing and was personally feeling ill from the rolling.

God. Noodles for breakfast were a bad idea…

Hey, I was raised to appreciate the value of food and that is why I have lunch for breakfast! The thought of actually trashing food is an unseen horror, which I try to avoid at all costs!

I then heard a whole crowd screaming in terror. Unfortunately, the ball wasn’t translucent and everything I could do was guess on the sounds I heard.

When suddenly some kind of magic collided with the ball and it broke. I hurled out of it and tumbled to the ground. Face first of course. After I slid to a halt I stood up to notice that I was in the town center and there were quite a lot of ponies gathered. Not only civilians, there were guards too. One pony however was somehow a lot more noticeable than others. My eyes narrowed. “They can’t be serious!”

Author's Note:

Want to know something funny? I liked chapter 2 more than chapter 1, as well as I liked chapter 4 more than chapter 3. Does that mean, chapter 6 will be better than chapter 5? Could be.

I better say at this point, chapter 4 might still take a while, since it has to be proofread and edited. I'm glad I have Word Worthy for this. :pinkiesmile:

However, there is something other BUGging me! Would have been a good pun, if this was a changeling chapter. Better write it down, before I forget it... Wait, where was I? Oh, yes. The title of the chapter is bugging me. What do you think of the title? Good enough, or can you perhaps think of something better?

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. See ya! :twilightsmile:

P.S. Right, I'm using POV in the future. Might help not to focus only on Leon. Would be interesting to know, what the other characters are thinking and doing as well.