• Published 25th Mar 2015
  • 523 Views, 1 Comments

Nothing Is Impossible - Horizon Prime



A cruel act of fate. A crazy plan to fight it. Rainbow, Twilight and Rarity join together in secrecy, in a mad attempt to save her friend from the maws of death.

  • ...
2
 1
 523

Chapter 6 – The Best Night Ever, Part 3

As if being assaulted by the constant flashing of the runway, Rarity's blue eyes blinked fast and repeatedly sending a pleasant wind fit for a breeze to travel with. Each flutter was to wake herself from a different dream world just be confronted with the same stunning reality until she was forced to accept it. She was still next to the floating Rainbow Dash in the dark hotel room and Twilight had just went and said something ludicrous.

"Excuse me, Twilight. But did I hear you say we are stealing it, TONIGHT! At the gala!?"

"Finally! I was beginning to think we were never get into action."

"Action? Have you both gone insane? W-why tonight of all nights? And why you are only telling us this now?"

"Well, I may be a little paranoid. But lately, I been studying Celestia and Luna's precognition ability."

"Preco-what now?"

"Precognition," Twilight recited. "The ability to know the future."

"The Princesses are able to see the future?"

"Not entirely. Their ability is not so much to see the future but to foresee the potential danger of taken decisions."

"Eh...." Rainbow said.

"They can see when you made a bad choice."

"Eh...." Rainbow said again.

"Ugh... Let's say the former cutie mark crusaders, decided to try to win their cutie mark in fire-breathing. Celestia would know the moment when they all got together and made that decision; then, she would move to stop them before they could hurt themselves."

"Ookay... so why isn't Celestia here trying to stop us? Or why hasn't she tried to stop us before?"

"Is not that simple. The visions she have are just bits and pieces. And for their ability to work, they need to be in a deep meditative state; like when they are asleep. Celestia and Luna mostly see things that could endanger Equestria as a whole—well, they kinda focus on that. Better not to waste such gift on knowing what the cook decided to make for breakfast."

"I would imagine they're not that selfish."

"That's why I didn't tell you anything until today; since this decision require all of us to agree with to actually endanger the book, they can't predict it. And I'm telling you now because Luna is probably tired ending the night-shift, and Celestia is just waking up. They're both are occupied with the gala which make this the perfect moment to scheme—I mean, to plan."

"To plan a robbery," Rainbow added.

"Hah... Yeah... to plan a robbery."

"Pardon my vocabulary, Twilight, but this is nuts! How are we to conduct a robbery in mere twelve hours? It's ridiculous."

"Don't worry, I have it all planned out already."

Some maps and documents Twilight had laying around were moved forward in raspberry magic. As Rainbow and Rarity examine them they realize they were the blue prints of the castle filled with notes, diagrams with the guards shifts and all the different kinds of magic security measures and ways to avoid them.

"When did you do all this?" Rarity asked.

"I been planning it since the start, but only this week I got confirmation on the location of the book and the complete blue prints of the castle."

Rainbow connected the dots recognizing the box and some of its contents. "Is all that what Daring got you?"

"Yes. This documents mention that the book was originally in Celestia's school for gifted unicorns a hundred years ago. Later, it was transported to Canterlot's museum for a couple of decades for study and maintenance; then, it was passed to the deceased Mallory Quinn, and was reclaimed by Celestia twenty years ago. Now it's located in her personal library, and that's where we strike."

"Wait a minute. Are we truly doing this?"

"That's for you both to decide. I'll tell you of my plan, but only tell me if you agree to do it—or not—when we part to the gala. Understood?"

"Understood."

"Okay, first of all, Rarity; we'll need your help."

"But of course."

"According to the blue prints, the book is located in Celestia private tower, in the west wing of the castle."

"And?"

"That section of the castle is for members of the royal family only. Even I can't get there without the proper key. The place is magically protected, so we can't teleport in either. And once you're in, spell-use is magically restricted to authorized personal only. In such a short notice I can't think of another way in that to get that key."

"So you want me to ask Celestia or Luna for the key? I'd think you'd have a better chance at that."

"No, that would raise too much suspicion. I was actually thinking of another family member..."

"Another? What other famil—Ohh-no... NO!"—Rarity began shaking her head while stepping back—"No, no, no, no. Absolutely not!"

"What? Who are we talking about?"

"Don't say it, Twilight," Rarity threatened.

"Prince Blue Blood."

"Twilight Sparkle," Rarity scolded. "Need I remind you, that I already have a dreadful date this evening with a disgusting gentlecolt, and you will also have me talk to that obnoxious oaf? You are out of your mind." Rarity flipped her head and turned her back at Twilight.

"Please, Rarity. We just need you to use your pony-charm and—"

"And what?" she said watching her from the corner of her eye. "Ask him to give me the key? Out of the blue? I don't think that's going to work." She remarked her point stumping her hoof while closing her eyes and rising her nose.

"No, but you may just have to ask him to—maybe, just maybe—show you to his room...?" Twilight said flinching and squinting her eyes brazing for the worst.

Rarity turned back. Her eyes opened wide, just as much as her jaw dropped in shock and indignation. "Preposterous! What do you take me for? The thing with Sleazy, was just an extreme impossible situation—But THIS! And in the same night? How could I even begin to explain that? I'll not do it, not in a thousand years, I'll NOT do it."

"Please, Rarity, an opportunity like tonight could not present itself in the near future."

"Yeah, Rarity, I can't believe you would bail out now."

Rarity rose a hoof to chest to stop it from bleeding as she said, "Et tu... Rainbow Dash?"

"Rarity, come on!" Rainbow said exasperated; her a mischievous eyebrow uprising. "You used to really like him..."

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," she said—all traces of her previous pain forgotten.

Then, with quivering lips and glossed eyes, Twilight said, "Please, Rarity, for your friends?"

"Please," Rainbow followed her lead.

"Please."

"Please, please, please."

"Please."

"Please—"

"Alright! Alright! Alright! Curse you peer pressure."

Rainbow hoof-pumped in the air. "Yes!"

"Thank you, Rarity."

"Oh, stars... What would be left of me after tonight? What could I've possibly done to deserve this? Is it my beauty my sin? I would never be able to show my face in public again; perhaps a permanent veil would suffice. Oh, fate, why do you hate me so—"

Rainbow and Twilight shook their heads and sighed as they watched Rarity dramatic display continue for about three more minutes, yet they let her go on undisturbed. She deserved to vent somehow, and well, that was how she was after all.

Unfortunately, there were pressing matters ahead. They needed all the time they could get to prepare and couldn't wait forever, so, after a moment, Twilight called, "Listen, girls, we must pull ourselves together now. Here is the plan for tonight."

~~<<0>>~~

The Grand Galoping Gala, Canterlot in full esplendor. There was no denying the capital city had a classical romantic quality to it. Its white towers and wide streets still inspired ponies to believe in destiny, fated love; to follow their heart and find their soul-mates. Across the reddish evening sky, a couple of pegasi guards pulled the carriage of a pink princess who's mind was filled with such thoughts. It wasn't for any less; when you're the pony princess of love and receive a letter from your favorite sister in law, telling you she needs helps with "Matters of the heart concerning a dear close friend," you tend to go a little shipping crazy.

Who could she be referring to?

Maybe that cute eccentric doctor she's been talking to? Or the shy, silent but well endowed Apple farmer is more her type? But according to her letter it must be one of her close friends. Has she fallen for the soft and adorable Fluttershy? The refined and glamorous Rarity? Or maybe she has discovered her love for the strapping and rebellious Rainbow Dash after fate kept them apart for so many years? It could even be Pinkie Pie, or somepony else I don't know. Oh, the possibilities! I can't wait!!

Inside her chariot, Princess Cadance giggled by herself so often and so loud that the drivers thought she may be going mad. It was clear that she could barely contain her enthusiasm. Deep down, she wanted so hard that Shining could've accompanied her on this trip so she could share her excitement, but it was better this way. Somepony had to take care of the Crystal Empire, and having Twilight's big brother present while talking about love and special someponies wasn't the greatest of ideas—no matter how cute his face was when he was being all jealous and overprotective.

Focus, Cadance! Forget about Shining's cute face and your love life, and think about Twilight's. Right! Tonight, should be all about Twilight.

The Love Princess was headed for a heartbreak. Twilight, having studied under Princess Celestia, and trying to imitate her in all ways, had acquired a peculiar habit in her letters of both been precise yet cryptic at the same time.

As they arrived to the castle, Cadance quickly went out running to meet her. "Hurry up you two," she called to Flash and Strides, her usual travel guards detaching themselves from the chariot. "I promised Shining that I'd take good care of you."

"Wasn't it the other way around?" Flash questioned.

"You wish! Now hurry up!"

Normally, Cadence would dread attending the gala—it was such a boring experience, but with Twilight's friends back together, and her love life in the balance, this was sure to be an interesting evening. And there she was, up the stairs in the center of it all, dressed like a doll and greeting the guests next to Princess Celestia.

"Annoncing: Princess—"

"Cadance!" Twilight shouted.

"Twilight!"

Cadance crossed the hall as Twilight ran down the steps to meet. They then mirrored each other moves and sang, "Sunshine~ sunshine~ ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake."

They laughed, hugged and giggled a bit embarrassed of being in front of all this stuck-up ponies looking at them funny. But, they'd better think twice before laughing at two princesses if they knew what was good for them. Many of the guests took comfort in thinking it was some sort of elaborated magic ritual beyond the comprehension of simple ponies—yeah, that was it.

"It's so good to see you, Twilight."

"I feel the same."

"Good evening, Cadance," said Princess Celestia advancing to meet them. "It's quite the pleasant surprise seeing you here tonight."

"It is for me too. But I can't rightly refuse a request for help from Twilight."

"Hmm... How interesting. And what could the Princess of Love, be helping Twilight with? If it's alright for me to know...?"

"Hahaha... Princess Celestia... It's nothing, just a silly nothing. Nothing important. nothing important at all... Hahaha...."

Cadance was awkwardly pushed back by Twilight's wing. They retreated to the side as Celestia kept greeting the newcomers.

"Cadance!" Twilight chastised. "I told you it was a secret."

"Don't worry, aunty Celestia is fishing; she doesn't know anything. Now tell me. Who is the friend that troubles your heart?"

"Rarity."

"I knew it!"

"How could you knew it was her?"

"Well... I didn't. But she was in my top five."

"Luckly, I only have like five close friends, right?"

"Jijiji... right. And when did you realized that you liked her?"

"Huh? What? I liked her from the start."

"Ah, so it was like that..." Love at first sight. Wait, she and Spike? Hmm, Rarity certainly knows how to make an impression... "But what changed now?"

"Nothing's changed. Well... that was, until a week ago."

"Tell me."

"Well, she met this stallion..."

Jealousy. Of course... Poor Twilight, Cadance rose a concerned hoof over her muzzle while Twilight continued.

"And ever since then, she's been acting strange, distant. She ignores me, never spends times with me or Spike, talks about him all the time, does everything he tells her—"

"Twilight, she's in love. I can't do anything about it."

"No! But she can't be! He's a total ass—No offence."

"None taken," replied the conveniently adjacent donkey

"Twilight, I'm sorry. But there's nothing I can do."

"No, you have to see this for yourself. I know he doesn't love her. He treats her so wrong. I can't stand it. There must be something wrong with her. Maybe a love spell or amulet, potion or something have her acting like this. Please, Cadance. Besides I know for a fact that he would prefer Fleur Dis Lee as his special somepony. I bet he's only using Rarity to get close to her."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

That got Cadance thinking. Twilight really had a six sense when it comes to trouble. Like when the changelings invaded; back then, everypony also thought she was jealous when she was actually right. Better to confirm the situation herself. If this stallion was only using Rarity then she should definitely help.

There was also a very real possibility that Rarity was under the influence of a magic potion or spell. They weren't uncommon, and after all, it was Cadance job to keep all love interferences and problems under control, and love potions and spells always cause trouble—like the want it need it spell, That one really had caused me some trouble, and Twilight too. I should have never show it to her—But how could I've known that she would be able to do it so easily.

"Okay, Twilight, I'll see to Rarity and this stallion."

"So you'll help me?"

"Only if their love is not true. I bring couples together; don't break them apart."

"Oh, thank you! I guarantee it; Rarity doesn't love him at all. Oh, Cadance, I can't thank you enough, I knew you would be perfect for this job. Even thought I hate him, I bet you could even get Sleazy together with Fleur."

"Sleazy?"

"Ugh... It's Rarity's colt-friend name. Okay, follow me, I last see them this way."

Cadance and Twilight excused themselves from receiving the guests with Celestia, and navigated the halls in order to find Rarity and Sleazy among the sea of ponies attending the party. They were found midst a group of upper-class ponies. The more recognizable of them, Fancy Pants and Fleur Dis Lee—but only those two were, for Rarity's behavior was beyond recognition: She was leaning her elbows on Sleazy's back, making cute faces an funny noises while talking to him, striking poses, batting her eyes and rubbing her horn on his mane, in a what can only be crudely described as, "Marking her stallion."

Cadance couldn't believe it. Rarity was a bit colt-crazy, but she had long learned her lessons, and was always classy. That thing happening over there wasn't. So rare or more accurately, un-Rare it was, that whatever Twilight was talking about momentary went over Cadance head as she stared in shock.

"Now do you believe me?" said Twilight as she elbow-jabbed the jaw dropped Cadance.

"Oh, how splendid," Fancy Pants said. "If it isn't our Majesties, Princess Cadance, and Princess Twilight Sparkle. What an honor. You grace us with your company."

"Ah! Princess Cadance," Rarity said, "just the mare I wanted to see. Allow me to present you the most smashing and charming stallion you've ever meet. My love, my life, my everything: Sleazy Eye."

"Princess Cadance. We meet at last. Ah've been looking forward being your acquaintance. The wonders we could do together..." he said taking her hoof and kissing it.

"Yeah... a pleasure..." With just one look Cadance knew, this Stallion was the enemy of all mares. His eyes were filled with ill intentions as they lingered a bit too much on her assets. As a matter of fact, his pink eyes seemed to jump from mare to mare not unlike those of a little colt in a candy shop, yet they always seemed to return to Cadance and Fleur. Cadance didn't need to use her magic to know he didn't care for Rarity at all. That stallion didn't comprehend the meaning of love.

"Isn't he adorable?" Rarity said. "I'd been telling Fleur how much of a gentlecolt he was when he defended me from those five ruffians outside the racing tracks."

"Oh, that was nothing. Ah was just doing what anypony would do. Truth be told, seeing how ya were managing on your on, I don't think Ah needed to intervene at all."

"Rarity? You were assaulted?" Cadance asked. "How awful..."

"I made quite a bit by betting that day. Truthfully, I had forgotten to thank my dear Sleazy for that as well. His sound and keen advise allowed me to make my winnings. For such reason it seems, I was targeted by some unsavory characters. But my luck hadn't run out just yet. Galloping came Sleazy to my rescue; he dealt with them so gallantly. It was, exhilarating, breathtaking— "

"What about the guards?" Cadance asked.

"Oh they came, but the scoundrels scattered before capture."

"I must say," Fancy began, "You really surprise my Sleazy. I did not take you for such I brave character."

"Ah know. It all sounds made up. But, Ah just couldn't ignore a beautiful mare in need," Sleazy said looking at Fleur.

"My, how chivalrous..." Fleur responded suggestively.

Vulgar. The whole thing was vulgar. He was clearly hitting on Fleur, and Rarity seemed to became jealous every time; then, she would gulp a glass of wine and cling to him even more. If this kept up, Rarity would be drunk in less than five minutes.

Cadance made her mind. She turned to her side and saw Twilight grinding her teeth and practically shooting beams and growling as she watched the way Sleazy touched Rarity while laughing and hitting on Fleur.

Poor thing... Thank heavens I didn't have to watch Shining being all smooch-y in the hooves of that skinny bug, Chrysalis. Just thinking about her toothy sultry smile while touching my Shining makes me so mad! I don't think I could've take it.

"Excuse us ladies and gentlecolts," Cadance said, "Princess Twilight and I have something to discuss. We'll return shortly."

They separated a good measure from the group and found a comfortable place to speak in private.

"Twilight, something's not right."

"See, I told you."

"But that still doesn't get us the right to interfere."

"Cadance, please, use your magic and see Rarity's true feelings. You'll see she doesn't love him, something is terribly wrong."

Princess Cadance considered all love magic to be extremely powerful and should not be used lightly. She consciously refused to use her spells on family and friends and only apply it on extreme cases. Even a diagnostic spell could carry out devastating consequences for everypony involved, but this was an emergency. She nodded and cast her magic to find out is their feelings were true.

As the magic slowly took place, Cadance could see a plethora of colors emanating from all present. Each took a different shape and size, which gave a different meaning to Cadance and those who could read it. Given the dark-green tones and sharp edges of Rarity's feelings for Sleazy, meant they were not of love but of something more akin to disgust. As for Sleazy's, he definitely felt a kind of love—it spread like tentacles for every mare in sight—But it seems to focus on Fleur and... me?

Ignoring the latter, Rarity's behavior was must troublesome. If she hadn't told anything to her friends and kept acting like this, then she must be in a kind of curse that forces her act like that.

The most suspicious character in all this would be Sleazy. Was this his doing or somepony else is pulling the strings? And what were the conditions of the curse? Those questions troubled Cadance's mind as she devised an action plan.

For now, Cadance thought, she should at least separate Rarity from him. "You were right, Twilight. She doesn't love him. In fact, I say she probably hate him."

"Thank goodness... so what do we do?"

"Mmm... Try as I may, I don't seem to pick up any love magic at work here... but it could just be a new kind of spell I don't know about. I'll speak with Sleazy, and try to get anything out of him. Twilight, you are the expert on magic, and know Rarity the best; see if she has drunk or is carrying anything unusual that may have cause this. I'll examine her later."

"Please, Cadance. I just want him away from her. Get him anything he wants, but just get him to leave her alone. I don't want Rarity to be like this anymore."

"It's Okay, Twilight. I know how you feel. I think I can convince him to leave her alone."

"Thank you, Cadance."

They returned to the group and chatted for a while when Cadance made a nod to Twilight. She knew the signal and took Rarity away with the excuse to find more drinks to keep her distracted while Cadance made her move.

"Sleazy, would you be so kind, I need to speak to you."

They both walked away to a more private place of the castle.

"Yes, your majesty? How may I please you?" Sleazy asked feeling they were far enough.

"Cut the games, Sleazy. I know that Rarity doesn't love you. What I want to know is why she's acting like that."

"Y're asking the wrong pony about."

"So whom should I be asking?"

"Not mahselve, that for sure."

"But you do know she's not acting like herself."

"Ah figured."

"So why—"

"No matter how it came to be, Ah couldn't rightly pass an opportunity like that. She's quite the catch."

"Mister Eye. I want you to leave her alone."

"Well, since you're asking; Ah will."

Cadance was genuinely surprised. "Just like that?"

"Just like that. But that would leave me so lonely and heartbroken; and I do fancy her as—thetic look. If only there were a beautiful mare like Miss Fleur waiting to console me..."

"So... you'll leave her alone if I help you with Fleur, right?"

"You said it."

"Hmm."

"Don't think about it too much. Miss Rarity seems awfully devoted to me. You wouldn't want to leave me heartbroken; who knows the lengths she may take to mend it."

"You wouldn't. I'll not let you play with the lives of ponies like this."

"Ah come on, Ah'm not so bad. All I want is a shot. Since long time Fleur had been the mare of my dreams, all Ah want is for you to help me win her heart. Promise."

"I don't know if I can trust you."

"You don't have to. If I misbehave, you can throw me into a dungeon. No questions asked."

Although nothing appeared out of the ordinary, Cadance had turned on her diagnostic spell as she spoke to Sleazy. She had seen through his feelings, and thought he wasn't the purest of ponies, he was being sincere—in a very sleazy way.

She didn't want to help this stallion, but this was for Twilight—her little filly heart was aching, not counting how much damage this could do to Rarity's image, and how consternated she'll be once whatever held her went away. Yes, this was for Twilight's and Rarity's future—for Twi-rity. Maybe she could do an exception, she will just help him with his crush—yeah, just like any other case. If Fleur didn't like him, that would be the end of it.

"Okay, I'll help. But I'll not force anything, I'll just give you advise and smooth things out for you."

"Hehehe... Ah'm liking my odds—"

"But you have to end it with Rarity at once."

"Sure thing."

Cadance stood aside as Sleazy went to talk to Twilight and Rarity. She purposely avoided going with him as she despised seeing a heart being broken. Even under this circumstances, when the emotions the pony felt were not real; the way they reacted, although momentary, were too much for her.

The rupture images passed in slow motion to Cadance as she saw the heart broken face of Rarity from a distance. How she clung to his chest as she cried for explanations, and her utter despair as she drowned herself with tears on Twilight shoulder. It was a hard scene to watch even from afar, but it was for the best. With luck, they would find the cause of her strange behavior before any more damage could be done.

After the scene, Rarity excused herself to the bathroom. Cadance passed next to Sleazy with the implicitly of meeting later, then walked to the crest fallen Twilight.

"How is she?"

"I don't know—" Twilight shook her head "—She says she'll be fine..."

"But with this kind of curse is difficult to tell, I know. Twilight, you should be with her."

"You really think so?"

"Don't doubt yourself so much, Twilight. You should follow your heart, show her that you'll be there for her. That way, you'll surely make the love between you bloom into something stronger, till your feelings overflow—"

"Cadance? What are you—"

"Then she'll fall into your hooves, and in a loving embrace, she'll become your special somepony as you declare your love—"

"What the HAY are you talking about!? I don't have that kind of feelings for Rarity!" Twilight shouted turning everypony head's to her.

"What? But in your letter, you said you have heart problems with a friend!"

"I meant the Rarity and Sleazy problem!"

"What? And I thought—" Cadance sighed "—Oh gosh, Shining may be right; I may have a problem."

"You told Shining about Rarity and I!?"

"Ehh... Mmm... of course not. I didn't know who it was. Just told him that you had a crush..."

"Oh, by Celestia. I'm sooo embarrassed."

"You really don't like her? From the way you acted and what you said, I was sure—"

"No! She's just my friend! What's more, I like colts, stallions, you know what I mean—not that Rarity isn't gorgeous—but that's not the point!"

"And here I thought you'd finally opened up to Love—"

"Love? Cadance! I don't have the time for that; besides, half the stallions I know run away as soon as I look at them or try to have a serious conversation. But honestly, Cadance..." Twilight shook her head and sighed.

Oh, Twilight, you're breaking my heart. I didn't know you had it so rough... Don't worry, I'll make it up to you for this mistake. I'll find you a nice mare—or colt in a flash. Hmm... Flash is single—But what a mess... I bet aunty Celestia is having a blast...

~~<<0>>~~

Princess Celestia was having a blast. It was a little known fact, but Celestia liked—no, loved to eavesdrop. To her, it was as good as to spy on her telescope, and she was quite good at both. She had the predisposition since she was little, but when she and Luna became royalty, nopony ever spoke freely in their presence, and it only aggravated her bad habit. Eavesdropping became the only way she could really know what was going on in the realm—but that was just half of it. The other half, the important half, was that she just loved the gossip, more than that, she loved to see the astonished faces of her little ponies when they discovered that her Princess was on their little secrets.

Of course, she mostly liked to use the gossip to help her ponies from the sidelines; dropping a knowing wink or hint here and there. Needless to say, she'd never reveal her information or used it for something bad that could hurt anypony, but there was also satisfaction when tearing down a sneaky noble's plan.

Although, it was mostly for and the fun of it.

This gala night, she currently was trying to put together the pieces and predict what would cause the inevitable conjunction of joy, drama and chaos that followed her most faithful student and her friends whenever they got together.

The night's theme, judging by Cadance presence and Twilight's profuse denial, was love. Who would bring the drama? she thought as she greeted another important guest. A glimpse of her eyes and she saw the grumpy face of Spike as Rarity chatted lively about his new colt-friend.

So that's the catalyst... But where is Cadance and—Her thoughts interrupted as another famous couple entered, forcing her to switch to her Princess self and welcome them. After a while, she glanced and saw Twilight and Cadance making concerned faces as they watched the recently formed couple.

Hmm, bad love... Jealousy and something else, this is definitely going to blow out soon...

And Blow out it did. After some time, Rarity's heart was broken fast and cold, and in a very public way. And Rarity took it as, well, as Rarity: making a scene.

I'm so sorry, Rarity... Celestia thought watching Rarity's mascara ruined by tears as she ran to the bathroom. So that was why Twilight needed Cadance. I hoped it would be for something good. Poor child... she just don't have any luck with stallions.

The play wasn't over, however, more was to come as Celestia struggled to hear above all the noise and chatting ponies. There seemed to be a kind of discussion between Twilight and Cadance. Hmm? Something happening. Can't hear well...

"I... don't... Feelings for Rarity!"

"You told Shining about Rarity and I!?"

"Cadance!"

Celestia rose a brown. Hmm... Perhaps Rarity's luck lies elsewhere...

Inside her heart, Princess Celestia smiled. To make things more interesting and complicated, was so like Twilight. And to be red of embarrassment after was also typical of her.

When Rarity returned, all were staring at her and Twilight. "What?" Rarity said. "Is there something on my face?"

Twilight turned around looking flustered. She power-walked facing down through the crowd all the way to Celestia's side and sat.

Celesta couldn't help but to wear a strenuous smile as she silently observed her fellow Princess from the corner of her eye. "You know?" she began fully aware of what she was doing. "You shouldn't feel ashamed for harboring such intense feelings..."

"No! Princess Celestia, it's not like that! Cadance misunderstood the whole thing!"

"Twilight, there is nothing wrong with liking other mares."

"I know, it's not like I've never thought—No, what I mean is—ugh! I love stallions alright! And I have plenty of books to prove it!"

Princess Twilight shouted to the whole kingdom then clamped her muzzle with her hooves. Her eyes panicked searching for anypony that could've heard, which immediately became searching for anypony that had not. She crossed eyes with a yellow-dandelion pegasus guard of blue mane and golden plate trying to look professional, but as soon as he felt the burning gaze of the princess, he looked away glowing red. An action quickly imitated by Twilight.

Such big reactions from her student filled Celestia's chest of satisfaction and a tingly feeling inside her heart. She only allowed herself to tease her fellow princesses in these ways—well, mostly Luna and Twilight; more often than not, Cadance was an accomplice.

This was enough. Chest-filled with joy, Princess Celestia could breeze through the evening no matter what it brought. At least that was what she though. The night still held plenty surprises to come. Celestia carried on greeting the guest as Twilight explained the whole misunderstanding and the chain of events that lead to her outburst—finally something good to talk about. She did feel a little guilty for teasing Twilight to that extend, but Twilight was just so cute when being all nervous and flustered that she just couldn't help herself. Perhaps she'd been spending too much time with Discord—Where is that Draconequus? she thought—had not seen him all night. Maybe in the gardens? With Fluttershy?

As the night settled, and the last twenty guest entered the hall, Celestia fell at ease chatting peacefully with Twilight. Mainly about Rainbow Dash, and how they'd reconnected over the past weeks.

Then, something strange happened. Everypony seemed to gradually lower their voice. The orchestra played more softly. No pony noticed this as it happened, but to Celestia, who assisted hundreds of galas, and loved the extra-lively atmosphere, this gave her a strong feeling.

The silence intensified while she tried to figure out the reason as she listened Twilight. Even so, it passed undetected by everypony else. Was she the only pony aware? Or maybe there was something wrong with her hearing? She shook those thoughts with her head feeling sorry she wasn't properly listening to Twilight.

"Princess?" Twilight asked concerned.

"Sorry, Twilight," Celestia said turning her head to her. "You were saying something about Rainbow Dash fur color?"

"Yes, as I said, Rainbow..."

Twilight voice was then muffled by the herald's calling of new arrivals. "Announcing: Princess Ava, and Prince Markov of Rumane."

That... That can't be... That can't be right...

As she heard that name, Celestia stopped breathing.

She knew that name. She knew it well.

It was a name she had not hear in more than a thousand years. A name she'd hoped not to hear ever again.

A sudden chill ran down her spine. Blood drained from her head, and her stomach felt as if something scratched or crawled at its walls. Her whole body tensed and froze expecting not to see the stallion she knew it was there.

The silence, the stillness, the danger in the air told her the truth she denied with all her heart as she tried to stand still. But her eyes betrayed her. She looked. The white vesperali stood there.

For a second, she saw him flaring his large crimson wings in his wine-red battle armor. A blink of her eyes brought her back to the present. The blood red ruby rested atop of his cravat in a broach just like it did so many times before. His wild white mane was now contained and tied up in a messy knot bun. His forehead bared, except for two thin forelocks that fell up to his draconic red eyes like fangs dripping blood.

Silver embers embroidered his black leather tail coat all the way to his high collar. The heavy suit covered his forelegs down to his hooves with engraved silver plates strapped with belts on top of his shins. A thick elegant vest tightly stuck on his front body, yet as he walked closer, he made no sound.

Yes, his garments were different, but it was the same monster. The contempt in his sinister eyes as they fleetingly flashed gold, the grim face she saw him make for a split second before he put up on an fake smile, they let her know without a doubt it was the same monster.

"Greetings, Princess Celestia," said the vesperali in his light eastern accent. "I see your memory is just like your beauty."

"Markov... How is this possible? You are not welcome in these lands."

"But I am. I got invitation to this ball... Am surprised; I sent letter announcing my arrival from Ponyville a week past. The mare that took my letter was so deliciously bubbly. I would hate to think something happened to her..."

"Markov!"—Celestia flared her wings and pointed her horn at him—"If you had done anything to my little ponies!"

Seeing their princess display, the guards present pointed their spears to her target and awaited for engage orders. The sudden commotion also drew the attention of some of the guests.

"Princess Celestia, who is this stallion—"

"Twilight, be on guard."

Noticing Twilight while ignoring the guards, Markov smiled showing his prolonged fangs and said, "Ah... Princess Twilight Sparkle. The Princess of Friendship. Pleasure finally meeting you. It is for you that we have come."

Confused, Celestia glanced at her. "Twilight?"

Twilight looked surprise by his words, but before she could say anything Markov continued, "Naturally. It is thanks to her deeds that we found ourselves here in this situation."

After his implication, Twilight acted very nervous.

"Do not look so surprised, Celestia," he said. "After all, it was Princess Twilight Sparkle who freed Princess Luna. And it was her, that released The Grand Sire Discord from his stone-prison."

Fed up with the unknown stallion and the unwanted attention, Twilight asked, "Prince Markov? It appears you know about me, but I know nothing about you. Like, where exactly are you from? What do you want here in Equestria? And how d'you know Princess Celestia?"

"You would like to know how I met your Princess? We met in the battlefield of course. Fending off her tyrant invasion."

"What?"

"I was no tyrant. We were trying to free the land of your monstrous influence."

"Monstrous? It wasn't I who in its wrath vanquished dozens of ponies, friends and foes, with her light."

"Ugh—How'd you dare! I don't know what plans are you laying, but they end now!"

Celestia began gathering her magic intending to simultaneously set down the moon while bringing up the sun. But as she tried to set the moon down, she encountered a fierce resistance.

On the outside of the party, Princess Luna had immediately sensed the tug on the astral bodies and held them in place with her own magic. Luna determined the point of the sudden pressure and quickly flew to Celestia's side to see what was going on.

"Sister, stop!" Luna said confused as to why Celestia was ending her night.

"Luna!" Celestia called in a pleading way.

"Sister, what are you... Markov..." Luna said—her visage darkening.

"So it is true..." he said. "You have returned from exile. I had to see it with my eyes."

"We have returned... but at our sister's side, as a Princess of Equestria."

The mare next to Markov walked forward and intervened, "Greetings, and forgive the late introduction, Princesses of Equestria. I, am Ava of Sin. We are envoys of Rumane's King, here to establish friendly relations with your land."

She made a bow and remained as she finished her introductions. She was a tall unicorn mare just like Cadance, white as Markov and sporting a straight white-gold mane carried long and loose. Wore a simple yet leathery black dress with a gold single-diamond necklace.

After passing her eyes among the two, Celestia arched her eyebrow. "What kind of joke is this, Markov? You bow to no king."

"The world is change, Celestia. Chaos, ever-motion. Unlike you, I have no illusion to rule forever; children have to grow, learn on their own..."—he took a few steps forward to Ava, raising her shin up to a standing position with his wing—"I passed the crown decades ago. I am but a humble counselor now, teaching the future queen, Ava of Sin, the friendly ways of the world."

"Lies... You are ruthless, cunning and unforgiving. The grudge against me is the only thing alive in your heart of stone." Celestia's eyes met Markov's; narrowed and intensified in a mutual glare.

"Prince," Ava said breaking Markov focus.

He reluctantly returned to the conversation. "That, Celestia, is precisely why we are here. With Princess Luna and Sire Discord's return, the reasons of the ideological grudge between our lands are no more. Your mistakes had been redeemed by your newest princess,"—he briefly glanced at Twilight—"a Princess of friendship. The king, believes that we shouldn't begrudge a kingdom for the mistakes of past rulers. Princes Twilight offers hope for mending our relations."

"Markov," Luna said, "we not know what you are playing at, but take heed: If you cause harm to our subjects tonight, we shall make you regret it."

"If I do... you are welcome to try."

"Hold yourself, Markov," Ava said. Her voice level rose to almost shouting. "We are here for a friendly exchange; to emend our relations for a better future. Not to kindle the fires of past wars."

"Pardon this old one behavior, Princess Ava," he said closing his eyes while slightly bowing.

"Excuse us, Princesses. I hope we could talk later under better circumstances. Let us go, Markov. We are holding the line..."

"After you, Princess..."

The guards parted as they didn't hear otherwise command form their princesses, and Ava and Markov entered undisturbed.

"Sister," Luna said. "Should we end the event?"

"No, we don't want to cause a commotion; besides, I will not give him the satisfaction."

"Then, we shall gather the Elements."

"Yes, I'll remain here to greet the guests and keep him in check."

"Princess Celestia?"

"Go with Luna, Twilight. She will explain everything."

Twilight nodded.

As Twilight and Luna trotted away Celestia called, "Twilight! ... I just... nothing. Go with Luna..."

Princess Celestia remained silent, fearful that the light of admiration in her pupil would fade away in the night.

~~<<0>>~~

"Princess Luna, what's going on?" Twilight asked.

"Where is miss Fluttershy?"

"I can't find her." Rainbow said looking from up in the air. "She must be out in the gardens, I'll go get her."

"No time. We'll explain her later."

"So who is this guy? Princess Celestia looked pretty angry at him."

"He's an old foe of ancient times. One, that we could not defeat...

"He'd been know by many names: The Undead, The Dammed... The Impaler. I first knew him, as King Markov of Prancesylvania."

"Prancesylvania?" Rarity asked.

"A land east of the old continent, full of mountains and deep dark forests."

Twilight looked up at Princess Luna with pleading eyes. "Princes Luna? He mentioned something about Celestia invading his land and... killing ponies..."

"Twilight... This was a long time ago, in an era unlike this one. Please, do not judge my sister and I so severely. These events burden heavily in our souls..."

Preparing herself, Princes Luna took a deep breath and began, "A thousand years ago, after Discord's defeat, Celestia and I thought ourselves invincible. That we could bring harmony to all the corners of the world under our banner. We set ourselves to be the warmth bright that banishes the cold winter days, and the fair light that guides in the dark nights...

"We started north, defeating King Sombra, but we did not stop. Many evils were defeated and sent to Tartarus during this time by our doing. Soon, word spread about the Alicorn Princesses of Equestria to the corners regions of the word. It was then that we received a message from a far off land, oppressed by another tyrant ruler. In my zealot for justice, I alone went to investigate while Celestia stood and care for our realm.

"When I arrived, I encountered something I had not expected. The vesperali ponies. They consisted in more than half of the inhabitants of the lands. Naturally nocturnal, they worshiped me and my night with love, marvel and delight. I was revered as a queen...

"I thought I had found home, the place where I belonged. The vesperali spend every night showering me with gifts, putting on shows and caring for my every whim. After some time, I would meet King Markov, their ruler, and he was no exception to this behavior. I would be amiss if I did not say I enjoyed his attentions. It was a pleasant change from the cold loneliness of Equestria...

"Later, I would discover Markov true face. He was a cruel and unmerciful ruler. He did not tolerate weakness or failure... met even the simplest of crimes with severe punishment.

"The peasants lived in fear of his wrath. Yet, I could not act—"

"Why?" Twilight asked. "You knew he was evil, why didn't you stop him?"

"Those where, different times... Though his punishments were unusually harsh, he had the right to seek justice in his land. Our own landlords were not as cruel as he was, but they were not that different. I tried to change his mind to be more lenient, but it was for naught. Thought I wanted to intervene, I made my decision to leave him be and sail to Equestria.

"However, the love of the vesperali made me turn around, back to his castle. I wanted to stay with them; try again to convince Markov of a better way. Perhaps if I were to stay I could change him. How foolish. It was then when I found what he really was. He was Nosferatu. A vampire. The "criminals" send to his dungeon, were nothing more that the food which sustained his unnatural life. That was why the punishments were so severe; it was an excuse to keep his dungeon full and his thirst for blood sated."

"He feeds on ponies!?" Pinkie gulped.

"Sick..."

"He's like the changelings."

"But, Princess Luna," Rarity said. "I thought such creatures existed only in stories and myths."

"Yet one, more than a thousand years old, is dancing behind you, lady Rarity."

"All his actions had been lies to trick me. When I confronted him, he tried to persuade me to form an alliance in marriage and rule the land as king and queen of the night."

"Hmp! The nerve!" Rarity exclaimed.

"You obviously didn't agree? Right?" Rainbow asked.

"I did not. But it was not easy. He has a way with words that's... alluring. Compelling, and seductive."

"A-aunty Luna? Y-you can't be serious?"

"I am... I believe is a sort of hypnosis magic, engraved in the tone of his voice."

"Ooooh!"

"For a second—"

"Yes?"

"Nothing, Princess Luna," Twilight said. "Carry on."

"In the battle, Markov and his vampires dangerously outnumber me. I had to fly back to Equestria, defeated and in shame. Angered, Celestia and I immediately gathered our forces and embarked to Prancesylvania.

"The trek was long and laborious. When we arrived, we discovered I still counted with the support of half of the vesperali folk. They served as guides through the mountains and spies against Markov. This time, he was the outnumbered.

"In our way to his castle, nonetheless, we were attacked night after night by sudden raids that ended as fast as they began. One or two of our guards went missing before we could react. We believed him chipping at our forces; installing fear before our arrival... we did not understand the true meaning of these raids until after we launched the attack on the castle.

"We encountered Markov himself on the bridge at the front gates of his castle that night. He was a fast and skilled, flyer and fighter—yet Celestia and I bested him with our spells and shot him down.

"He rose from the ground however, time after time—as if he was invulnerable to injury or pain. We thought to contain him, distract him, as our greater army overwhelmed his own. Little did we know he was the distraction...

"From the castle bowels, came an army of our kidnapped forces turned thirsty vampires at his command. The bridge was utter chaos. We weren't ready to strike our own comrades, and the fear of these monstrosities drove our army mad. Furthermore, every fallen guard would turn a fiend against us. It was hopeless...

"Defeat was unavoidable. It was then, that Celestia had an idea. I was to restrain Markov, as she casted a powerful spell on all the battlefield to reinforce the vesperali natural skin aversion to sunlight; provide cover for our forces retreat. It did not work as intended. We did not know the effects the spell would have with the vampire condition. As she rose the sun, all the vampires... burned and died."

They gasped.

"That's... that's..."

"Many guards we'd knew for years died under her dawn. It was, soul-crushing... Afterwards, we retreated from the battlefield. The vesperali still supported me, but many ponies of the land came to despise Celestia..."

"The next days I had trouble trying to form a new kingdom. I was alone... Celestia just shut herself. She wouldn't eat or speak for days... "

"Poor Princess Celestia..." Pinkie said.

"Wait!" Twilight said. "If the spell affected all the vampires, shouldn't Markov be... you know... dead?"

"That is what we initially thought, until one night, three weeks later. We heard strange noises coming from Celestia's room in the middle of the night. When I went to investigate, I caught Markov trying to assassinate Celestia in her sleep."

"But, how could he return from the death?" Twilight asked.

"We know not how he does it. We personally saw him burn to his bones when Celestia rose the sun; and in our many battles, the spells we threw at him were most powerful; enough to level a house. Yet he rose again and again. He appears deathless... and forever young, as we now know.

"In any event, Celestia survived the attack, and Markov evaded capture. But after his return, all our efforts to form a new kingdom fell apart. The ponies wouldn't join us, our unite on their own. The peasants feared him more than ever before, and the nobles followed him blindly with promises of eternal life. We got stuck on a lockdown, and Celestia... she, she couldn't fight anymore...

"Reluctantly, we came to a truce. The vesperali and everypony that fought with us were allowed to leave with their families to Equestria if they so desired it, and we were to never set hoof in Prancesilvania ever again... That was the last of our adventures."

"And now he's here," Cadance said.

"Yes. He despises Celesita with fervor and will do anything to hurt her or her love ones. You all must be extremely careful. Above all, remember: Do not listen to his voice."

"But he is an ambassador! Forming friendly ties with Equestria! And I'm the princess of friendship—I'm supposed to listen to him!"

"Twilight? Didn't you hear Princess Luna? I really don't think friendship is what he's after."

"Maybe not him, but what about that other pony, Princess Ava, the future queen? They say they are here on their king orders. We can risk an incident with a country just because one pony."

"Twilight is right, Dashie. Look at them smiling and dancing. They came here to party, maybe he's not that bad."

"I sincerely doubt it, Pinkie Pie. But, it's worth the try."

"You see, Rainbow? Rarity's with me. Having a good time is sure to leave everypony happily satisfied."

"Oh yeah? Why don't you offer him a taste of Pinkie Pie, huh? I'm sure that with all that sugar you just ate your blood would be very sweet."

Pinkie, sounding like a scared puppy, hastily crawled and pulled a ten feet long scarf from Rarity's purse, wrapped around her neck and face and hid in it.

Twilight watched pinkies antics with worry. "This is not going to be easy."

"Twilight Sparkle," Luna said, "You shouldn't take anything he said as fact; it may all be part of a plan to lower our guard. I will notify the guards and monitor the perimeter for any anomaly. You, Cadence and the Elements watch him close; see that he does not cause any trouble. Do not fear my friends, Celestia will be next to you, and I'll be just a skip away. Good luck."

"I'll be near the dance floor watching his companion, Princess Ava. She seemed friendly enough maybe I could get more information from her. You better deal with Markov."

Twilight and Cadance nodded to each other before Cadance departed to the dance floor.

"So what's the plan?" Rainbow asked.

"Pinkie, you go with Cadance, maybe we can smooth things out with the Princess, make sure she is happy."

"Okie, dokie..."

After Pinkie bounced away from the shaky fort and joined Cadance, Twilight sighed; head hung low appearing very tired. Rarity made her way to her side while Twilight looked at her with heavy eyes. "Oh Rarity... your ruse had worked so well, and now this... Ugh! Why tonight? Why can't anything be simple for once... "

"Cheer up, Twilight. I say you did wonderful, darling; misleading Cadance like that. I didn't know you could perform so admirably under such pressure. My lessons and your previous experience with all those ambassadors had really shaped you up... well, until your "I love stallions" outburst that is... Ahem... now, however, I should make sure of one thing..."

"Not you too!?"

"What? No, darling, Rainbow already teased me enough about that. Believe me, I would had noticed. Specially because we are talking about you, miss "I have the books." No, what I meant was that... we really aren't going to continue with... you know..."

"What?"—Rainbow flew to Rarity's face—"You want to cancel the plan? Ohh! You just don't want to do your part, don't ya?"

"Rainbow Dash, I'll admit, after Sleazy, I have no desire to deal with Blue Blood. But that is not the issue here. We have a potential crisis in our hooves, not to mention that the castle is in high alert now. It'll be reckless to try anything."

"Okay, but what about the spells for Applejack... it has been a while and Twilight hasn't gat the time to work on them because of this darn book, we have to get it now."

"I know, but this is just not the right time. We have to wait."

"You want to wait! AJ been waiting for more than two years, I waited for more than two years, I don't want to wait any more!"

"You know, you're not the only one that's been suffering. I want her back too!"

"It sure doesn't look like it. It seems your more worried about your reputation."

"Girls, quiet, everypony is gonna hear you."

"You are with me. Right, Twilight?"

Twilight sighed. "I really need that book... But now we can't leave the party without suspicion. You'll have to get it alone, Rainbow Dash."

"But what about the plan?"

"We'll have to improvise. It may not be all that bad. Luna and Celestia would be focusing on Markov..."

"Wait... if anything were to happen tonight, he's sure to be blamed... you'll use him!"

"No... I just, won't clear suspicion..."

"Twilight, that's... that's..."

"What, Rarity? You got a problem with it? We didn't plan it like that. It was him who decided to come tonight. He just got bad luck."

"Rainbow, this is more than just bad luck. Twilight said it herself, this could cause an incident with another country."

"Don't worry, he is innocent. I'm sure we'll clear this out some way or another."

"And how are you to disappear, Twilight? Rainbow can quickly slip in and out, but you now have to keep an eye on the ambassador. Celestia will surely notice if you are missing for too long."

"I can still teleport, remember? Although not to Celestia's room, but that won't be necessary. I have an idea. Rainbow, remember to disable the security measures, and when you are inside Celestia's room, don't touch anything and wait for my message. I'll find the book for you, got it?"

"Got it. Sneak unseen. Break the magic thingy. Enter Celestia's bedroom and wait for instructions."

"Okay, meet with Rarity whenever the princesses aren't watching. I'll try to make a distraction."

"What about Markov?"

"Rainbow will be careful and watch him from afar as to not listen to his voice, just as Princess Luna said. Rarity, you are with me for now, but bolt with Rainbow whenever you find an opportunity. I'll make contact with them; see how this will play. I Just hope I don't get hypnotized."

"Roger that."

"Understood."

"Alright, girls. Move out!"

"Hey, Twilight! What are you girls—" Spike said while walking towards when they all scattered away. He turned his head side to side watching them leave in different directions and sighed. "It's like I have the plague now. Well, I'll go see what Pinkie's doing. That's always good for a laugh. I need a laugh right now..."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment