• Published 25th Mar 2015
  • 523 Views, 1 Comments

Nothing Is Impossible - Horizon Prime



A cruel act of fate. A crazy plan to fight it. Rainbow, Twilight and Rarity join together in secrecy, in a mad attempt to save her friend from the maws of death.

  • ...
2
 1
 523

Chapter 4 – Madness

The Capital City Canterlot, where the ageless Princesses of Equestria reside and grace ponykind with their presence, leadership and love. It's been a long time since Shining Armor had been here. As his diligent and trusted pair of pegasi guards pulled him nearer to his destination, and the clouds quickly went by his golden chariot, he felt great nostalgia from his home town.

He could see closing in, the long and tall ivory towers, tinted with purple, lavender and thistle that he used to guard like a statue for such long and tiresome hours; its golden ceilings, with their intricate swirl stripe and flowing stars patterns, still shone bright in the light of day like so many years ago. He could also see, the famously wide Canterlot streets he once patrolled; bursting with ponies, that appeared colorful ants in the distance, going on their merry way.

He recognized one corner in particular where he liked to go after school with his sister, to get some shakes before going home to their parents, when he was just a colt. He felt bad for his mom and dad that he didn't visit or write more often, and that even on this day, it was very unlikely he was going to have the time, but since the possibility of Cadance being pregnant was very high, he was determined to visit them even if he had to go in the middle of the night; they'll sure be happy.

He just hoped that the summons he received were also of a pleasant nature, but... when had they been? Ah... a stallion can dream...

That dream ended as soon as the two wheels of his chariot softly landed on Canterlot Castle Gardens; there, a garrison of guards were waiting for him forming two rows side to side of the track.

Tension was in the air, a silence that Shining's personal also felt as they slowly stopped between the two rows of armored guards, while the later orderly moved to close their exit and surround them. But this guards did not bore the kind eyes like those of a brother welcoming him home, nor they show respect for superior, or even the consideration when dealing with royalty. No, he was a soldier as well, and recognized that gaze anywhere: on edge, anxious, fearful and ready to engage on the slightest provocation; such gaze was directed at him. They were in presence of the enemy.

He eyed them warily from the open chariot —cautious for an ambush attack at any moment. He didn't knew what was going on, but this only spelled trouble. He had to consider for a hasty way out for his guards and himself, and most important, secure the princesses.

He stood his position waiting for them to make the first move. His muscles tensed in a broad stance and cold sweat began rolling down his temple, as he charged his horn in threatening glow; his piercing blue eyes sharply searched for a target, and struck fear to whoever met them. Were they rebels, mercenaries, private army or changelings, they'll regret bringing so few guards to face him.

They waited and waited, but the attack never came. From behind, the rows parted, and a single brown unicorn stallion in golden armor, with two shades of grey for his mane and tail walked forward. He cleared his throat and then loudly said, "Prince Shining Armor! Step down the chariot, and come with us!"

"What's the meaning of this Lieutenant?" Shining strongly asked, keeping his magic focus, watching his surroundings, and not liking in the slightest the disrespectful tone on the lieutenant voice.

"By order of our Royal Majesties: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, you are to submit to questioning and answer to possible charges of conspiracy and treason."

"Treason!?" Shining exclaimed, "Are you mad?"

"Prince, you have fifteen seconds to comply or we will be force to make you."

"What about my aid?"

"They'll be held off for the time being and release at a later date. Ten seconds Prince."

"Unharmed?"

"That's up to them."

Now that Shining knew their intensions, no matter how crazy they were, he reasoned that it must be some kind of plot by a noble, or an unlikely mistake. But he couldn't let his guard down, yet if he were about to fight, he could be playing into their trap and possibly endangering his family while unnecessarily involving his guards; still, without confirmation of the princesses safety, he couldn't so easily comply.

"Where are the Princesses? We won't go anywhere until—"

The lieutenant turned his head to the side while keeping his eyes on him. He motioned upwards to a stained glass window, where the figures of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna could be seen observing the situation with —as much as the distance allowed to perceive— was indifference. "Five seconds," he said.

Shining felt lost. The princesses knew about it yet acted so distant. Were they tied by law? Or was something else playing in here? Changelings maybe? No, if something had taken out Celestia and Luna there was no need for all this charade. This seemed more like an internal struggle where some noble or general was involved.

He closed his eyes letting out a sigh and easing his magic. "Alright—" he opened his eyes and watched the lieutenant filled resolution "—I'll go." He got down the chariot, and walked towards.

"Captain..." his subordinates said in union with their eyes strained and fearing for his safety as they shook their heads.

He briefly turn his head back to both of them and said, "Flash, Stride. Do as they say."

"This way Captain," the lieutenant called.

Five guards in golden armors detached from the garrison and surrounded Shining, their spears held tight and pointing to the sun. They began walking through the garden, pass a water fountain with a stone statue of a unicorn standing up at the center, and spraying water from his horn, that leaded to the castle side doors.

There, a young stallion guard awaited him with a couple of hoof-cuffs on his grasp. "Sir," he said gesturing for Shining Armor to give him his hooves to restrain him.

Shining rose his head and glared at the poor stallion.

In the captain's eyes, the young boy saw promises of death, humiliation and severe punishment when all of this was over, and gaped at the grim visage. He already regretted opening his mouth, so he shove the hoof-cuff into it as if saying that was why he brought them, and slowly backed away with his chin almost touching the ground, and terrified at the captain.

The lieutenant watched disappointed at the young guard actions but couldn't blame him. The boy probably grew with stories of the captain exploits, and if he was honest, he didn't wanted this mission anymore than a buck in the nuts. They were lucky enough that the captain relented peacefully; it was best not to push their luck. He decided to turn a blind eye to what just happened and continued to their destination.

They traveled through the halls to the end of the carpet, behind some big stairs, into the zone where the castle looked the oldest, a place often forgotten if not entirely avoided by the maids; which only a couple of sorry criminals had gone into, and where the most ruthless of guards generally got posted.

Aged dim-gray silver doors, the size of a minotaur, were guarded by two brown unicorn stallions wearing expended metal armors; each, on a side of the doors. You could tell by the thick, heavy, reinforced material, and countless bolts of the doors, that even if they were slightly rusted on the edges, it would require the mighty strength of Cerberus to bust them open.

As the guards saw the incoming procession, they ignited their horns. Two keys appeared from the air, they employed them on each of their side simultaneously and slowly pushed open the doors with their magic.

Shining could feel his horn being seal as he moved through the doors while his escorts passed un-phased. What laid forward was a dark stairwell leading to a series of tunnels fit enough for three ponies side by side; its intricate design, poor lighting and crumbling structure, made it a perfect substitute for a sadistic maze.

It was an old section of the castle that no pony care to upgrade or repair. With time, its brick walls eroded, creating a brass surface that could sand one's hooves, and its chandeliers rested broken to the sides of the passageways or perilously hanging by a tread, while housing several spiders on its webs; it gave the place its distinctive dungeon feel for all to recognize.

They moved with the aid of the few lit up torches remaining on the walls, pass an iron bar door and a second stair that guided them to their goal. A bat-winged pony (a vesperali) guarded the plain looking door. The slit-like pupils of his golden eyes cautiously following Shining as he arrived.

The lieutenant turned the handle with his magic producing a minor opening gap and said, "In there."

The rest of the convoy repositioned themselves in a sharp quick motion, stomping their hooves as they moved, and blocking both sides of the hall leaving Shining Armor no other choice.

He pushed the door open with his right hoof. To his left, was an empty and small dark room, with only square table revealed by a candle on the middle. Far to the other side of the table, was Princess Celestia, sitting with her back to the entrance.

She was looking out a brick sized bared window close to the ceiling, and basking in the little sunlight it allow through, while small dust specs swirl and twinkle around her like little breezies, dancing joyfully in golden light.

"Princess Celestia, it's good to see you well your majesty," said Shining as he came in. He became concerned seeing she didn't react or turn to his greeting. "Princess Celestia?"

The door behind him forcefully closed with a slam. The room abruptly became cold and the candle swiftly extinguished with a sudden zephyr; then, the shadows inclosing the corner of the door began swirling in a obscure vortex and condensed.

"What's going on?" he asked; his words turning into mist.

"Silence Captain!" Luna shouted from inside the vortex as it took her form, revealing, The Princess of the Night within a menacing atmosphere, as the darkness dissipated and the candle revived; the flame, now of a small and contained white and blue. "We, shall be the ones that ask the questions."

Without moving a limp, Princess Luna ghostly glided parting the faint mist on the ground until she was face to face with him. She peered into his eyes; blue before blue as she whispered, "Now answer... Did you knew?"

Shining held the awkward position with Luna's muzzle an inch away from his own. "Princess Luna? ... Know what?"

"Do not play with us! You had to know!" she said pushing her forehead closing the gap between their eyes and violently crossing her horn with Shining's.

"I don't understand," he said narrowing his stare while holding her gaze and calming his heart knowing he had to endure.

Princess Luna abruptly removed her head from Shining's. Never taking her eyes off him, she walked to the opposite side of the table as she said, "You won't be able to deceive us. She's your sister. You write to each other every moon. You have to know."

"Twily? Is she in trouble?" Shining was very shocked. Was this, about Twilight? He looked to Luna and then back to Celestia for any indication, but Celestia didn't moved and the question only seemed to irritate Luna.

"This facade of yours won't hold... It would only aggravate your and her punishment if you persist. One last chance Captain... speak, and we may offer you mercy."

The situation was getting out of control for Shining; the Princess was talking about punishing Twilight. It meant they had already made up their minds and condemned her, but for what?

"What's going on with Twilight? What are we talking about?" he asked.

"ENOUGH!" Luna reared her head back and shouted; then, she glared at him with bright eyes full of anger and divine power. Yet it did not shook Shining.

Her eyes returned to normal and she continued, "Even now you remain uncooperative... Very well, We will show you, that you have nowhere to hide from your crimes."

She then produced a file from a small flash in the air and slam it on the table. She paced around him while explaining. "This pictures are from warehouse in Canterlot. A warehouse, under the name of a "Raven Starling," that we found, was just a sobriquet for your sister, Princess Twilight Sparkle—" she spread the pictures in front of him with her magic "—She had been using it for her grotesque work over the last years."

The images were beyond horrible for Shining, bones and corpses of around twelve ponies were laid on the open, many categorized in different boxes and coffins. The bodies and parts of others were floating inside vases, full with different kinds of fluids and viscosities. There were spells traces and symbols on the floor, were dark rituals obviously took place; flesh and blood splattered, even on the walls. A butcher's shop, a mortuary, a surgery room, all converged.

Shining was a trained soldier, and had seen many things in the course of his life, but the graphic detail of the photos, the carelessness in which the bodies were treated —you could see that some were left in the open just to rot. It was too much; especially, when he noticed the little ones and thought of Cadance and his future foal. He felt sick; had to sit down and avert his eyes.

Princess Luna skulked up to his shoulder and asked, "What is wrong? Can you not stomach your own wickedness?"

"This is not possible," he said very affected, "Twilight would never do something like that."

"But you can? So you admit it!"

"No! I didn't do this! I, no, Twilight and I would never do something like this, I know her. How did you come with this information?"

Luna walked away from him, displeased with his respond, and tired of his constant questions, so she granted him some answers just to see if he would stop the act. "We found this place after discovering some irregularities about the crown founds and properties. It seems that Twilight Sparkle has been redirecting founds through fake establishments and names. Stealing. Hiding. Preparing... Amassing fortune and power for her nefarious intensions. She couldn't have done it alone, you must have to be involved likewise. Tell us, what are your intentions? Why are you plotting against Equestria? Is Cadence involve as well?"

"Cadance have nothing to do with this!"

"We shall see about that. As we speak, a contingence of our best specialized guards is on their way to secure her."

Shining stood up defiantly and said, "No! You can't do this!"

"Hold your spirits, Captain! Or we may lost the little patience we have for you knave," Luna said spreading her wings as shadows flooded the room and her horn hummed with vicious intent.

Shining had to calm himself; getting angry like that will only make things worse, but the thought of Cadance being submitted to that stress and in her condition, filled him with fear and desperation. He clamped his eyes shut for a moment and returned to his position crestfallen; a mixture of regret, fear and worries on his face.

"... It's a precaution," said Luna after watching him, and the candle flickered for a second; it returned to its steady eerie blue as she continued, "We do not know how much you have manage to taint Princess Mi Amore. Twilight Sparkle is quite resourceful in her magic, unpredictable, more so now with her baleful powers. We had to take measures against her and your magic."

"Cadance is not evil. Neither is Twilight. And what does my magic have to do with any of this?" he said trying to extract as much information as he could from Luna.

"Like I said before, Twilight's magic is quite ample and resourceful, yours by contrast is very specialized and limited, but in terms of sheer power and stamina you outdo even my sister. You proved that when you easily maintained the force field over Canterlot for many days; even with the parasite draining you at the time of your wedding."

He gave her a confused look for her to elaborate.

"On your own you are no match for us. But if you, Cadence and Twilight were to join forces... At best, it would be a stalemate between us. Besides, you do not believe we would left our nephew in the hooves of your filthy subordinates and conspirators."

"That's absurd. Princess Luna, there is no plan, we are no conspirators—"

"We know for certain that Rainbow Dash has acted as Twilight's minion, stealing for her two years ago after she returned from her exile, and again four months before today, but are unsure of how many of the elements are on her side...

"Our only comfort is that the draconequus seems to be unaligned. But we cannot underestimate her influence over Miss Fluttershy and him by extension."

"Princess Luna, I assure you, my and Twilight's loyalty lies with you, Equestria and its habitants. We're incapable of your implications."

"Incapable, of our... implications?" Luna slammed her fore-hooves on the table producing a visible crack on the ground and a thundering sound that shook the dust of walls then pointed to the pictures. "See the corpses of this ponies! The remains and pieces of those you murdered! Of those taken to the grave to serve your insanity! See them and then tell us you have nothing to do with it. There are foals in there you monsters! Lie on their faces and I shall rip you asunder!"

"Princess, listen to me. It's a mistake, I don't know who did this, but Twilight's being frame. Those are all lies, we are innocent!"

"INNOCENT!? I WARNED YOU—"

"Luna..." called Princess Celestia. She did not moved. She did not shouted. But her voice was loud enough so Luna could hear through her outburst, and carried an inherent authority that commanded.

The Night Mistress glared at her elder sister back while panting; contained fury and sanguinary desires denied. Luna considered herself true and bound to her word —she glared back at Shining as the candle burned whiter and brighter whilst consuming itself vehemently; spilling wax over the table. After a very serious and long consideration to dismiss her sister and fulfill her promise to him, she side-kissed her teeth; swiftly turning her back to both of them. With an angry leer for him and frustration in her heart, she took place guarding the door.

After a while, the candle seemed to settle to a more traditional color and intensity. The whole room got a new breath but none rested, for the tension had not leaved the room, but seemed to intensify with the temperature as drops of anxiety coursed down shining temple while waiting for Celestia to utter her thoughts.

"There is no mistake Shining Armor," Celestia said. She stood still; her hypnotic flowing mane the only indication that she was alive as she watched the outside world. "I investigated and found the place myself... I told no one of my suspicions until I was absolute certain, it was her."

"It's not true."

The solitary flame blazed up as she spoke. "Do you think I can't recognize her writing... her methodic testing, her endless checklists. All her life I have read, corrected and marveled at her work. Do you think I would not recognize her quirks and habits. Do you think that someone could imitate her without me noticing? I know it's her! She used the same practices that I taught her. She used them to murder, to betray me! To betray us all!"

She calmly turned around and walked towards. Her face gloom and forbidding as the fire below issue its shadows upon her. She said, "All you need to do is answer one question..."—In the dark of her eyes, the raging flames were mirrored with intense fury—"Did you knew?"

)>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<<(

"Granny! Apple Bloom! Come down stairs. We got a guest," howled the same old Big McIntosh with the aid of his left hoof against his smile. It wasn't often they get visitors at that time of the night, but for this pony, he sure would make her feel welcome.

He hadn't heard anything yesterday in town about Miss Dash coming back, so he safely assumed they were the first to know, and was already thinking of the big hoedown, Pinkie was going to throw when she hears about it, and all the faces everypony were going to make. This was going to be the event of the year; no doubt about it, and a big chance, to ask a special somepony.

"Hey... Apple Bloom," Rainbow said looking up at the no longer filly. It seemed that the cutie mark crusade was finally over, as she proudly displayed a tool box with an apple crest in the center that adorned her not so blank flanks, and most unnerving for Rainbow, was that now there was a very familiar Stetson on the ex-filly's head.

"Come down Apple Bloom. Ya remember Miss Dash, don't ya?"

"Eeyup!" happily said Apple Bloom while she gazed down; her yellow sunflower eyes mesmerized at the not so mysterious visitor. The corner of her lips stretched far as the big grin make its way and settle in, prompting its owner to rush down several steps, and squeeze Rainbow with much, much delight.

"Oh, hi there," Rainbow said blinking hers eyes, and caught a bit off-guard at the unexpected show of affection.

That was Rainbow Dash alright thought Apple Bloom. She was back. She had scars and a bad color, but nothing a good apple pie and some rest wouldn't fix. Apple Bloom mind was filled with fond memories, and thoughts of sharing the news, especially to Scootaloo; she was going to flip up and die when she hears about it, the whole town was.

Rainbow was less energetic than anypony would expect from her, but it didn't matter. They remember she was always a bit reluctant of displaying emotion, other than being "Cool," if that was even an emotion. Big Mac and Apple Bloom both reckoned that she must have been tired from her travel or something.

Having past enough time, Big Mac became slightly worried that no pony else was showing so he asked Apple Bloom, "N' Granny? She coming down?"

"Nnope." Apple Bloom replied stepping away from the hug and shaking her hear.

"Tucker out?"

"Eyup." She nodded.

"Ah'm sorry, Miss Dash, but Granny usually goes to bed with the chickens. Ya'll have to do with us for now," he said.

"It's... okay," said Rainbow a bit confused at the role reversal of the siblings and with mixed feeling about not having Granny Smith with them when she confessed.

"Well, come right in," he said.

They walked deeper into the household, passing an old circular orange carpet with a yellow flower woven in its center and the customary family pattern of flowing lines and apples bordered on the edges, that took most of the living room. Near the left corner, on the side of the main stairs, was old Granny Smith rocking chair, close to the bookcases and shelves with families pictures and heirlooms from different generations of the Apple Family. On that very shelve, was a familiar photograph that Rainbow decided not to watch as they headed to the kitchen.

"Apple Bloom, ya bring out the plates," Big Mac asked her briefly before continuing talking to the honored guest. "We have lots of food, Miss Dash, so you can begin telling us, where ya been, and all 'bout your adventures. Have a place to stay? Because we have more than enough room—"

"No, no, no it's alright..." said Rainbow shaking her head and waving her hoof stopping everypony in their tracks. "Actually, I just wanted to talk to you... about... something," she said mysteriously.

"Something?" asked Big Mac frowning, and little confused with the pacing of the conversation.

With a lowered head and worried eyes Rainbow answered, "It's about... Applejack."

He arched an eyebrow and said, "Applejack?"

"Yeah... Um... There is something I have to say, that you guys have to know..."

An uncomfortable silence began filling the room with dreading anticipation.

"... What is it?"

Rainbow dry swallowed and her eyes darted from side to side. "You have to know... that her death... that she died... because of me... I'm sorry."

Cold sweat slid down Rainbow's neck. She shut her eyes and hung her head waiting for their verdict. She hoped that at least, they could sense in her cracked pathetic voice, how truthful her apology was.

"Are you saying... that, that, was your fault?" asked Big Mac.

She replied with half lit eyes, "...Yes."

Rainbow felt it coming, but remained still none the less.

SMACK!

Apple Bloom's hoof flew across Rainbow's face shifting it to the other side. Rainbow hadn't expected it to be that heavy. It hurt. In many ways.

Apple Bloom was furious, her eyes watered and her breathing uneven. Her hoof shook still and her heart was demanding for more, so it was the right timing when Big Mac sternly stepped in, and pushed her aside as he addressed Rainbow and said, "You got real nerves to come to our house after all this time and began talking about AJ like that." He straighten himself and looked her down with indignation.

This wasn't what he had expected of this visit.

"I'm sorry," Rainbow said unable to look him in the eyes.

"Why you did it?" he said, "Did she do something bad to you? And you make that beast attack her? Thought your talent was speed, not enchanting monsters."

"What? No. I didn't control that thing, It attacked on its own. I mean, I loved AJ. She didn't do anything to me."

"So, If you weren't controlling it, then Ah guess you can make ponies do what you want, and made Applejack jump into its mouth."

Rainbow shook her head. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "What are you talking about? That's crazy, I can't do that. I didn't made AJ do anything."

"That's right!" said Big Mac as he stomped his hoof against the plank floor. "Mah sister, was her own mare! And not you, not me, nor Granny or even Celestia! Could make her do anything she didn't want to, so you stop spouting all that nonsense."

"But I—"

"She decided to go into that burning barn on her own, and save as many ponies as she could disregarding her own safety. She was noble like that, and you got nothing to do with it!" He walked directly at her and slowly pushed her with his chest out of the house. "So don't go making everything 'bout you because it's not! You, arrogant pony!"

"I'm sorry," Rainbow said as she reached the front entrance.

He thrust his hoof at her accentuating his words. "And you better don't come back to our house, until you've fixed that rotten attitude, so just go away!" He ended pointing far in the distance.

"I'm sorry everypony."

He pressed his forehead onto hers; green eyes filled with anger, and shouted. "Leave!"

Apple Bloom had to held her hat tightly, or it would've been swept and lost as a strong gust of wind blew, taking her and Big Mac by surprise and forcing them to shield their faces and close their eyes.

When the wind burst ended, allowing them to open their eyes, Rainbow was gone. The siblings looked to their sides and to the sky searching for Rainbow, confused for her sudden disappearance, and found nothing. For an instant Big Mac considered that maybe, he had been talking to a ghost or some kind of spook, but that was just him being silly. He leaved those thoughts behind and then became concerned for her little sister; Apple Bloom had made good advances but mentioning Applejack always unsettled her.

"Ya okay there, Apple Bloom?" said Big Mac looking to the far into the night sky and letting the twinkling of the stars calm him down.

"Yup," she said watching attentively her brother, and a bit sad of how the whole thing had gone.

Big Mac kept staring the evening lights deep in thoughts. He would speak again after a pleasant silence.

"... A little too rough on her?"

"... Eyup," said Apple Bloom a bit disappointed in herself. She was too sensitive about her sister, and got heated up a bit too quickly. Rainbow deserved better. They should had taken a more caring approach; Applejack sure would have liked that.

Big Mac slightly shook his head and sighed. "AJ forgive me. But she had some dumb crazy friends."

That's an understatement thought Apple Bloom, if you just added Pinkie and Twilight to the list. That got a smile out of her. She then spotted something strange in her brother eyes, a particular glint and half a smile that the years of living together, and the perceptive nature of a sister and a mare heart, let her identify.

"Pretty cute though, huh?" she asked.

"Eeup—What? No—ouch." Big McIntosh flinched from the buck his little sister just gave his ribs. It hadn't really hurt, but he had learned that it was best to display some kind of reaction.

"Ah'm telling," she said swiftly turning back with her head held high and eyes shut in a faked, offended exhibition, and walked inside the house.

"Nnope, Apple Bloom, you set me up..."

"Apple Bloom... Don't tell Miss Cheerilee..."

"Please...?"

"Apple Bloom?"

~~<<0>>~~

Middays in Ponyville were always hectic, ponies ran from place to place trying to get their lunch from the best places, or just to get home and back in time to continue their work and everypony was busy doing something. This day was no different; somepony worked the clouds, some sold their products or attended their customers, some tended the fields, the animals or pets and some just enjoy themselves in their ordinary lives.

A strangely familiar sight traveled the outskirts of Ponyville this day; a pair strolling happily. Of course, when it's said like that, it might cause some confusion. What's so odd of a happily couple strolling in Ponyville? Has Ponyville change that much?

No, Ponyville hadn't change that much. What was strange, was that the image of Discord, wandering in town, no longer merit running in panic or screaming, and had become rather common and familiar.

The self proclaimed Spirit Of Chaos And Disharmony, walked with a slouch and dragging both his hands alongside the dirt road and through a small forest patch in Fluttershy company. That, was very uncharacteristic, and probably very intentional, since he could fly and had no real need to walk or drag himself at all; but despite his apparent boredom, he was content. Everypony knew Discord was always happy when he was with Fluttershy, regardless of what he said.

"Fluttershy? Must we always have to walk aaall the way to, ugh—" Discord pulled out his bifid serpentine tongue in disgust "—Twilight's Crristal Trree Castle?" Then, some manner of thought swam through his mind widening his entrancing red eyes.

He lunged himself in front of Fluttershy and floated backwards effortlessly while she went on. "Wouldn't it be more fun, if we skate there? I could make an ice trail, or better yet! I could teleport us there, and surprise the puny lizard or the book worm in all sorts of, embarrassing activities," he said rubbing his hands and smiling.

"Discord! That isn't very nice." Fluttershy reprimanded him with a scowl.

He closed his eyes and shrugged.

Those were their pets names. He said them with love... to his pets.

She quickly perked up, renew her pace and said, "Also, I like walking." she boasted him a pleased and proud smile; then, softly crouched and curiously veered from the dirt path into the forest. "If you do it carefully, and pay attention, you get to see all sorts of little creatures along the way, and listen to all their lovely sounds and noises."

She slowly opened a bush reveling a couple of white mice frolicking, then looked up to a bird nest on a near tree branch where a couple a blue jays attempted to sing straining her ears.

"Besides, what if along the road one of my little critters is hurt, or needs our help—" a passing bunny tripped; she happily helped it get up and nuzzled it affectionately "—if we teleport, it could be left injured. I just couldn't take that risk."

Discord raised an eyebrow. "Hmm... What if Spike is injured? and needs our help? If we walk all the way, we may be too late to help him."

Fluttershy gasped. "You are right! You should go ahead in case something bad had happed while I walk the road in case one of my animal friends needs me."

Discord sighed. There was nothing to do against Fluttershy.

SNAP!

He clicked his lion paw fingers instantly appearing behind Spike, who was busy flexing and checking his arms muscles on a mirror.

"Looking good, Spike, looking good," said the dragon assistant to its mirror self; ignorant, of the infamous draconequus watching him in mirth.

Discord couldn't help himself —not that he wanted to— and gave Spike a shot of magic increasing the powder in those guns. In seconds, Spike's muscles doubled in size, right before his eyes.

"Looking better, Spike! Looking really bet—ter..." He managed to say before noticing the mismatched creature floating behind him. The maniacal grin. The uneven eyes. It took him no time to figure out his sudden increased in strength, and suffer it subsequent disillusion.

"Buajahahaja. The look on your face. It's priceless! Priceless! I tell you," said Discord floating in the air, kicking his legs and holding up what could be his stomach.

"Discord!" Spike shouted, "What are you doing here!?"

He walked up to Spike; squished his cheek like a doting grandma and said, "I just wanted to know that my favorite shrimp wasn't hurt, or if something bad had happened to it." He then proceeded to pinch the dragon's biceps with his finger leaving him utterly deflated.

"Likely story," Spike said as he pushed him off. "No pony would ever believe you that. Now get out of here, get out!"

"Ah... Poor me. I can't show any concern without being misjudged—" He put the back of his eagle hand on his forehead "—Ohh, the humanity. Humanity? Ponynity? Equinity? Meh." He shrugged and in a flash, quickly disappeared from the castle and was once again with dear Fluttershy.

"Your back! Was he okay? He wasn't hurt, wasn't he?"

"Only his pride, and maybe his cheek, but overall he was mostly okay, although we must get that wyrm a mate and soon. Thinking about it, we should get you a special some~pony as well." Or you both could go crazy. Hmm... but maybe that's not such a bad thing after all. More fun for me.

"Ah.... I-I... Um, I don't—eep."

Discord suddenly grabbed Fluttershy and held her beneath his lion arm like some kind of bag, purse or recent hunt as he pressed forward and patted her head. "Ah, you don't need to thank me Fluttershy, it's what a good friend —like myself— would do." He leaned closer and whispered into her ear. "Not like that Hairity, that all she does is hug all the good stallions for herself. Could you believe, that in all this time she hadn't set any of us up with a nice date? Even though a have seen quite a couple of ponies making eyes at us..."

A couple of mares were actually eyeing him, but with concern for his hostage. He winked, sending them running away, and abruptly rose his head offended. "Hmph, and she's generosity. Pl-ease."

"Um—"

"Ah, speak of the devil."

"Eeek," Fluttershy quietly screamed fearing that the devil had dropped her, when in fact it was Discord who did it —not that there was much of a difference.

"Hello~ there, Miss Rarity, strange weather we have today, wouldn't you say?"

"Fluttershy, darling," said Rarity as she approached Fluttershy while the pegasus composed herself from the fall just in time to be hugged. "You look lovely. What a pleasure to see you, and hello to you too sir. And yes; strangely, it's awfully cloudy today—" she looked at him suspiciously "—You wouldn't have anything to do with it would you?"

"Moi!? This dreadfully boring, depressing, plain old, grey clouds? You wound me Miss Rarity. I, Discord... am a being of vision!"—Big purple sunglasses appeared on his eyes—"For I have... da magicks!"

A white and black stripes dress complemented his impression, while camera sounds and flashes enveloped the trickster. "This orderly, common pattern is obviously not my style," he said gesturing to both the clouds and his assemble, and making the later disappear.

"Oh, poor weather team, they are having such a hard time with these clouds," Fluttershy said as she carried on and watched some pegasi bucking the clouds into mist, only for them to slowly reform again.

"So...? I take you're also visiting Twilight, right?" Rarity asked.

" Yes... Um... I—"

"PINKIE!" Discord said aloud and extending his arms with joy.

"DIZZY!" She answered him back excided and happily bouncing to reach him.

They both proceeded to execute an impossible complicated choreography of hands-hoofs shakes, jumps, bounces and summersaults, with Pinkie running and sliding on Discord's spiral-like stretched body. All that ended with a big multicolored smoke explosion and Pinkie being shot to the sky and disappearing at alarming speed, only to come out back on earth again out of a glass of water balancing on Discord's outstretched tongue.

"Jijahaha, hajijiji," Discord and Pinkie laughed, giggled, snorted and chortled laying down on the front grounds of Twilight's home in a very pig like manner; specially for Discord since had he transformed into a very round, coiled tailed, flat snuffly snouted and rolling in mud version of himself.

Pinkie scarcely had the will to stop herself and welcome her friends. "Hi Fluttershy—" she covered her muzzle and giggled "—Hi Rarity, whatcha doin'?"

"Oh, hi Pinkie," said Fluttershy as she curiously watched Discord taking a shower since he could easily get rid of the mud without it.

Rarity cautiously draw herself near the trio, out of fear of being stained, and asked, "What are we doing? What are you doing here? Standing outside the doors like some... bad dog."

"Well, Spike wouldn't let me in," she replied turning hear head back and looking at the golden castle doors, where Spike watched trough the heart shaped crest gap.

"W-What!? Why?"

Discord decisively stomped up the few sparkling golden steps to the doors and hastily busted them open, throwing Spike to the floor. "Oh Spike, there's no need to be that grumpy so early in the day. It was only a little joke."

"Discord! Did you do something to him?" Rarity asked.

Spike quickly stoop up and said, "N-No, that has nothing to do with this."

Rarity lifted him up with her magic and draw him to her as she said, "But, he did do something to you. Oh! my poor Spikey-Wikey"—she hug him cheek to cheek and then played with his spines—"Don't you worry, Fluttershy, Pinkie and I will make him apologize. Tell us, what did he do?"

"Yes Spike, tell Rarity the horrible thing I did."

"Um, he... I... He didn't do anything. I'm just following Twilight's instructions."

"Twilight?"—Rarity dropped Spike from her sweet, warm, magic hug—"Twilight told you to not let Pinkie in?"

"No, she told me not to let anypony in."

"Ahh, I guess the princess finally realized her own feelings. Her eyes... are only for me now," said Discord dramatically and entering the castle only the be blocked by Spike.

"That includes you too."

"Drag..."

"Um... But, why?" Fluttershy gasped and covered her muzzle. "She is mad that I didn't come to the meeting, isn't she? Oh, I knew it was important, but I just couldn't leave the puppies' mom deliver them alone."

Pinkie Pie gasped and startled Fluttershy jumping in front of her. "We have new puppies! Oh, Oh, are they cute? Aww, I bet they are so cute. Can I see them? Can I see them?" she said stretching her smile to the limits and inching her face closer and closer to Fluttershy's.

"Yes, Pinkie, they are very cute, and yes, you can see them. There is this little one with a small brown spot around its eye that is just so very cute."

"Awww."

"Not that they aren't all cute, and—"

"Ahem, girls, we are getting out of topic here. Well Spike, is it true? Is Twilight mad because of the meeting? I have to admit that I really didn't wanted to go, and I kind of... lie... a little; the dress orders that I had weren't that urgent. Is just that... I didn't wanted to see... him," Rarity said facing away.

"Him... Who?" Pinkie asked.

"Not again. You know... Celestia's nephew. The Prince. Blue blood."

"Oh, him!" Discord pointed to a tall white unicorn stallion with a blond mane just down the road. The handsome hunk of a stallion turned around swinging his flowing mane and smiled with his white long fang, and looked at them with his charmingly crazy red eyes as he wiggled his tail and eyebrows seductively, and said in an equally seductive and deep voice, "The most handsome eligible unicorn stallion in Canterlot, wasn't it?"

"Ugh... Yes... Him."

"Hmm... I don't think so," said Spike, "She was a bit tired from the reunion, but wasn't in anyway, mad at any of you."

"You don't think it is an end of Equestria kind of thing, do you?" asked Fluttershy a bit scared.

"Nah... she would have called you. But it is weird, she did ask me for no interruptions, even from Celestia."

It was Rarity's turn to gasp. "Not even Celestia! This must be more serious than I thought."

"Oh! Maybe she's planning a surprise party."

"Oh! Maybe she finally turned evil, like Nightmare Moon! Wouldn't that be hilarious?"

"..."

"What? I was just saying."

"But this is strange indeed. What is she doing?"

"She didn't tell. She only told me that is was important, and wanted no interruptions until tomorrow."

"What could be happening? Are you sure we can't go in?" Fluttershy asked.

"Sorry guys."

"I'm so worried, Twilight always had time for every of us," Fluttershy said a bit lost.

"An-ha, and I came because I wanted us to play a little bit and share some of the cake from yesterday's birthday party." Pinkie took out a birthday cake out of somewhere and gulfed half of it into her mouth then licked herself clean of the tasty cream smudge all over her face.

"And I, wanted to compensate her for my moment of weakness."

"And ask her to forgive me for not coming to the meeting with Daring."

"Well, it seems to me you got your just deserts," Discord said.

Fluttershy dropped her head.

Rarity glared at him. "Do you have to rub it in?"

"Um... Discord. Um... could you please see if anything is wrong? That is... if you don't mind. I just want Twilight to be okay."

"Oh-no, you can't go in. Orders are orders."

"Orders?" Discord extended his scaly tail behind Spike, lifted him up upside down to his face by his dragon tail, and offered him a hand. "Hello, I'm Discord, Master Of Chaos, have we met?"

Spike punched the hand and spun as he hopelessly struggled in Discord's grip.

"Hahahajaha... Relax, is not like you could stop me anyway." He dropped Spike on the floor and smiled.

"Don't you look at me like that," Discord said to the glaring dragon, "Okay fine, I promise. I won't go in." But that doesn't mean that I won't peek.

Discord put his eagle finger to his temple and closed his left eye. He focused his magic through it so he could course through Twilight's castle. If he would describe how that felt he'll say something along the lines of drinking a "glass" of freshly squish moonlight; which preparation involves a carrot, a tread mill, a bucket, a couple of towels and a certain princess, but that's another story. Anyway, into his mind, images of the different rooms and places changed as he searched for the little piece of trouble.

He look in all the common rooms but couldn't find her, until all was left was a special room in the basement where he could definitely feel her presence. This was no ordinary place; it was protected and warded beyond reason, with all sorts of magic locks and enchantments, complemented with numerous physical ones, and topped with a thick metal door and chains.

Every time he looked for a way in, a bright light sphere with streams of letters appeared, sometimes even a blue screen full with ones and ceros, which prevented him from doing so, and shielded the room.

He guessed only him would be able to look through all that precaution, but he would require so much magic, that it would undoubtedly alert the paranoid owner inside.

It seems my little pony have some secrets, and I do like surprises. Hmm... let her have her mysteries for now. I have other ways to find when things are... out of order.

Discord expanded his senses and casted an eye over all of Ponyville and surroundings areas for something out of place, that might have trigger the reaction on his neurotic friend. He saw the unusual pleasures of Ponyville: some ponies bickering about prices, others about quality, others about who does the dishes, others deep on gossiping and trash talking behind their friends back, and others simply letting their dog do their business on the neighbors garden, and if you don't know it by now, ponies do occasionally eat flowers... but he couldn't find the presence of any powerful magic or big evil around, or any invaders for that matter. The only thing strange, was the peculiar weather they were having.

He decided to follow that lead and searched for its cause. He was a little bit surprised when he found the prismatic mane of a familiar pony high in a cloud, west of town in White Tail Woods' direction.

Rainbow, as much as Discord could see, appeared sick, but a more detailed examination with his plastic ethereal stethoscope to her head, revealed she was in fact sleeping, and experiencing some kind of nightmare. It was amusing to him that she could exhort that kind of magic as to disrupt the weather of the region in her sleep, impressive even.

So this is the cause of all the trouble, he thought. No doubt her presence and Twilight's recent enclosure have to be related, but what to do with this information...

Should he tell Fluttershy and friends? Perhaps, but he didn't quite know the reason of Rainbow's appearance and could complicate things for Rainbow, Twilight and himself, yet this was merely too good of an opportunity to let go. Oh, the chaos this could ensure, but he couldn't let it be traced back to him. He had to do this subtly, and with—

"Discord?" said Fluttershy grabbing his hand. "Is everything okay? You have been awfully quiet this whole time."

"Oh nothing to worry about Fluttershy dear."

"So... everything's okay? Twilight's okay?"

"Oh yes, all is fine. The weather will get a bit rainy in a while, but you would be able to see a nice Rainbow in the morning, nothing to worry about."

"Oh! That's a relieve."

"Why thank you kindly sir, for the heads up. Well, I believe there nothing else we can do here today, so tomorrow it is. See you later Spike. Ta-ta. Don't forget to visit."

"See you Spike! Oh, here, have a ninth of cake—" she shoved the delicious fraction into his mouth "—give the rest to Twiliight!"

"Goodbye Spike. Please, take good care of Twilight and Owlowiscious, and yourself."

Spike swallowed and then said, "Bye you guys!"

"Come on girls, there is this new restaurant that I been dying to visit. They say the food and the chef are originally from Prance! My treat of course."

"Come on Dizzy, are you in?" called back Pinkie noticing that Discord hadn't moved, "There's free food."

"Of course my pink menace, I wouldn't miss it."

SNAP!

"I wouldn't miss it."

Somewhere in Equestria some muffins grew wings and a pony got the jitters.

~~<<0>>~~

Quiet... it was horribly quiet, an empty and sinister silence. There was no other sound but the one of her wings beating, and her agitated panting echoing through the obscure nothingness she was in. The wind on her body, moist and chilling cold, much like the moment before the break of a storm. The thin icy air pained and scorched her throat as it went in, but cooled her skin enough to ignore the burning of her muscles. She was alone, but at the same time, she wasn't.

Fear...

She felt it on her fur as it stood on end, and in the restless pulse of her pumping heart. She was afraid, very afraid, but didn't know why; she only knew she had to fly, and fly fast. She let fear guide her wings in every beat, and flew desperately into the storm of shadows, not knowing where she was or where she was going. She only hoped she had made the right choice.

She was wrong...

A soundless flash uncovered it from its dark veil, just for enough time to give it shape. The four headed monster.

She froze.

Maybe she was wrong, maybe she hadn't seen right, maybe—

A bright light came and went.

The thing... wasn't there.

She looked to her side trying to find it, when another flash came. She turned around and now, there was no doubt.

All its four heads were staring emotionlessly at her. Transfixed with her.

The flash dimmed...

All what was left were eight small dots, glowing in the dark, until they too fainted. Leaving her alone. Enclosing her in darkness, in silence...

She had to get out.

She tried to fly as high as she could but crashed into an abrasive ceiling. She tried to push it to no avail when the next flash came.

She twirled around over and over searching for the thing, only to find its eight eyes fading in closer.

"No, no, no!" she said in panic and desperation noticing that the ceiling on top was pushing her down. Bringing her to it. Offering her.

She flew away putting distance from the monster and herself, when she crashed again. She became aware of a brash concrete wall that was slowly closing in as well. She felt it through the murk breathing hard and fast, probing and hitting the wall as she followed it along seeking a way out, just to be blocked by another wall.

The next flash came. The monster casted its warped shadow onto the corner wall, and all over her.

She flew side to side and crashed from wall to wall in fright. "You won't catch me! I'm too fast! I'm too fas—"

Something strong grabbed her tail and slammed her hard into shallow and cold waters.

She quickly got up as to not drown herself in the ankle high black ocean while coughing violently from the shock and water.

"Get back, get back!" she said retreating while spreading her wings and adjusting herself from the impact when she sensed a presence moving swiftly pass her back.

"Agh! My wings! What have you done to my wings—Ahh!"

She felt something grab her neck and pulled her back against the waters. She kicked her legs and gasped for air but it wouldn't let her go. A massive shadow pressed her legs against her chest, crushing her, and only letting desperate gasps of air mixed with water into her lungs. She couldn't move. She couldn't breathe. Her whole body was paralyzed as she watched in fear and struggled the ominous darkness on top of her.

Another flash.

A mouth.

Smiling...

It hungrily watched her fight, twist, and whimper under its weight. Its rows of fangs and teeth dripping saliva all over her face.

"No! No! This is a dream," she said, "I have to wake up! I have to wake up!" She waved her head to the sides and shut her tearful eyes trying to avoid the saliva drops, while the monster, leisurely licked its teeth in anticipation.

"I have to wake up! Wake up!" She opened her eyes.

Her pupils contracted.

She went silent as the monster slowly opened its jaws, and advanced for its treat... To feed. To kill. To enjoy.

Reflected in its soulless eyes, she saw herself shrieking in terror.

—As Applejack.

~~<<0>>~~

"Nooo! Hah... Hah... Hah..." Rainbow woke up high on a cloud of a storm at night; her heart pounding fast on her ears. Her whole body was cold, wet and shaking from the biting rain.

She was confused, disorientated, hadn't regain her full vision and saw all around menacing blurry shadows that seemed to had followed her from nightmare, freezing her in fear. Her legs were rigid and tightly folded against her chest. She almost couldn't unlock them of their position; it pained her joints when she flexed them and crippled her moves.

She brought a hoof upwards and felt the wetness of her face, remembered the saliva from the monster, and began spitting in disgust and scrubbing desperately her face clean of the gross viscosity. She knew that it was a dream, but it didn't made it any less icky or repulsive.

"Dang it," she said mad with herself for having woke up to another nightmare, but more for actually feeling that much scared.

Was that... how AJ felt? ... No, AJ experienced a real nightmare, that was just... a silly dream.

After a minute, Rainbow could finally watch clearly her surroundings, noticed it was already dark and wondered how much time she had been asleep. She couldn't get any sleep the night before after her talk with the Apples, and spend the whole morning circling her thoughts and scolding herself for being so stupid.

It seemed to her that whatever she did or say was always wrong, and always ended hurting somepony. She had expected the Apples to hate her after what she said, but not for those reasons, and now didn't know what to think or do.

"They said... to return, when I fixed myself." She stood up and looked to the cloud ceiling like trying to see past the dark shroud and her problems as they rained on her face. "I don't think they blame me, but... am I being arrogant for thinking, that I could have saved her? ... That she depended on me?

"Is it my ego that doesn't let me move on? ... Have I been wasting my time, leaving my friends, my family, for nothing?" She hopelessly asked the storm and waited for an answer.

... It was flying, speed, it's what I do, is who I am. She remembered what she had told Twilight not long ago and realized her mistake.

"I'm sorry AJ, once again my arrogance is getting the best of me. I caused you and your family more trouble than I am worth.

"But... but... I just can't get it out of me! I still see you there! I still blame me for it! I still try to save you... What do I do? What do I do? Do you want me to give up? How can I?" She slumped down and curled herself on her cloud bed, not caring the rain, winds or the world. "I just can't leave you, I can't...

"If I do... then who am I?"

"What am I?"

"I'm nothing..."

A cracking lighting brought her back to reality, and to the danger she was in such a tempest. She got up, flew outside the whirlwind and watched the thunderstorm thinking of dispelling it herself; basically, it was getting out of control, and wouldn't be strange she had caused it, but she wasn't on Ponyville's weather team anymore, and didn't really know the rains schedule, so she let it go. She just hoped the slowpokes knew what they were doing, but it really didn't look like it.

"Darn it! I wasted a whole, day," said Rainbow knowing that her plans to talk with Fluttershy would have to wait. "I gotta see Twilight now... I hope this isn't some kind of trap. Well, I guess Spike would be there, at least that's one less thing off my list."

She took a deep breath and sighed. "Come on Rainbow, suck it up."

~~<<0>>~~

On the inner halls of Twilight's castle, echoed a soft giggle and a laughter. The sounds were coming from the center of an oversized round basket, similar to an inflatable pool, padded with soft golden rugs and blankets of different materials and designs that portrayed thousands of bits and the occasional ruby, sapphire, emerald or diamond. Matching the theme, the pillows and cushions formed a small golden mountain of comfort.

A young dragon laid awake past his bedtime and relaxing on its back on top of this imaginary riches. The arrow end of his tail swiveled with mild excitement as he caught on his intellectual reading.

"Ah, Mane-iac, you never learn..." Spike said turning the pages of his precious magazine.

knock, knock, knock... that was the sound coming far from the main entrance.

"Go away!" shouted Spike.

knock, knock, knock...

"Ugh... Can't you read? I'm pretty sure I hung the closed sign. And if you can't, then what could you want in a library?" he said now that his fun reading was interrupted, or maybe it was his draconic instinct surging, given that he may have to abandon his huddle of comfort and treasures to deal with this intruder.

knock, knock, knock...

The Mane-iac, covering the whole page in front of him, laughed hysterically. He frowned. "Gosh! Why is it that when you want no interruptions is when everypony comes knocking at your door."

He put the magazine to the side, and rolled down his bed with a quick practiced move which landed him on his four on the crystal floor. He then stood up very annoyed and began walking to the front doors to do his job.

"And who comes at night in the middle of a storm? Robbers, changelings and vampires, that's who. And why do I answer? Because—" he sighed "—I have to... I told Twilight we could have used some guards around here —but nooo, she didn't want to felt so much like a Princess, and then, who sang about not having a Princess-like importance? Who knows, not Twilight —that's for sure— because Cadance didn't told me all about it."

He sighed, this time long and prolonged, then said, "Pony feathers... I do get cranky late at night; or at least at the prospect of becoming a juice-box. Well, no need to worry so much. I'm a dragon after all!" He put his fists on his waist and pushed out his chest. "Doubt those fangs can go through my scales anyway, and dragon-fire is pretty effective against almost anything."

knock, knock, knock...

"Gesh, can't you wait a little, is a big castle believe it or not."

knock, knock, knock.

"Hey, hold your horses. Can't you read? the sing says—" Lightning stroke right at the moment he opened the door obscuring the figure before him; it made him stumble back from the surprise. "Gah! ... What the... Rainbow?"

Rainbow, wearing a mocking smile and covering her nuzzle said, "Hey... Spike, um... how is it going?" It wasn't her intention to startle him, but she always enjoyed a good prank, and lightning frightening was a favorite of her from long ago, specially on Nightmare Night, and his timing couldn't been more accurate if she had planed the joke herself.

Spike's eyes were wide open and focused on her as he pick himself up and said, "Rainbow, is that you?"

Rainbow wiped her wet hair back, pushed her chest forward and said, "Yep. One and only." That was an almost automatic response of her when she heard the tone of amazement on her fans and friends, and the earlier event seemed to have put her in a good mood.

"I didn't recognized you for a moment," he said, "You changed a lot."

"Hey, you don't look so bad yourself. Not so much of a shrimp anymore."

"Haha, Thanks..." Spike smoothed the spines of his head from the complement and felt the need to reciprocate. "Mmm... You look taller too."

"Oh, ahh... maybe. Yeah, I think I look taller."

"Well you do."

Suddenly, they both became very interested on the way their hooves —and feet— looked against the floor, yet Rainbow couldn't linger on something so lame for too long and said, "Say... Can I come in?" She tilted her head twice to the storm. "I'm kinda drenching here."

"Ehh... You're not a changeling or a vampire, are you?"

"What?—Mmm, no. Am just the same old awesome pegasus pony."

"Okay then. Just checking," he said as he fully opening the doors so she could come in.

"Sure. I'd do the same."

Rainbow went inside and got a prudent distance from Spike then began shaking the water off like dog; spraying water all over the walls and on the carpet floor. She wasn't all to happy with the results when she finished, so she flew around turning herself into a small tornado of red, yellow and blue for a couple of seconds until she was completely dry.

She turned to Spike that had been patiently watching her all the time and became slightly embarrassed. Rainbow wasn't one for making others wait, and she had pending business with Spike; she had made him wait long enough.

"So..."

"So..."

"..."

She had to take the first step or they would be watching the wet carpet dry all night. "Hey, Spike, about that thing... You know, years ago, when I left... I know it's been a long time, but I just wanted to say—"

Spike ran and hug her closing his eyes, and before she could continue he said, "I'm sorry—" His voice; his entire body trembled with his feelings as he hold her tighter "—F-For what I did to you Rainbow, for what I said. I wanted to apologize all this time... I was angry and I regret so much what happened. I'm so sorry Rainbow, I'm so sorry." The glimmer of a tear loomed from the corner of his right eye.

Rainbow stared blankly at the ceiling not quite understanding what had happened. She looked at the barbed head burring itself to the side of her neck. After all I did... He even beats me to the apology...

"No, Spike, you were right. I'm the one that needs to apologize. How I treated you guys, what I said. I deserved everything you did and more. I'm the only one who should be sorry."

"But Rainbow, I was really unfair. I never wanted you to go away. And also..." He winced with guilt as he put his right hand on her left side, close to her wing, and lightly brushed her fur the other way; clearly reveling the three consecutive slashes on her skin.

"Oh, this?" —Rainbow lifted her wing and watched— "Don't worry about them. I Actually kind of like them. They make me look awesome, and fierce, and they go very well with the others, see?" she said as she took a few steps away, then struck a pose and began making several karate moves accentuated by the obligatory shouts. Rainbow saw that Spike wasn't all too convinced and still looked very troubled while he faced away and starred at the ground.

She lightly skipped to him and held his shoulders trying to look into his eyes as she said, "Hey, hey, I mean it. They remind me of not being such a hothead. And well... I really appreciate what you did that time. You fought for Twilight and the girls when I was messed up and I really thank you. So... Can you forgive me? Are we cool?" She offered him her hoof.

"Yeah—" he bumped it with his fist and smiled "—we're cool."

Rainbow thought that went well, Spike was after all a direct no nonsense kinda guy, even if he was raised by one or two princesses, he wasn't all too sensitive. They could resolve their issues fairly quick and without much drama; then, he hugged her.

"It's good to have you back, Rainbow. Don't leave us again."

"..."

"You're not leaving are you?"

"I'm sorry, Spike. But, I only came for a while."

"But you can't. Is it something I did?"

"No, no. It was something I did. Or rather, something I didn't do."

"But we all miss you. Don't you miss us too?"

"Of course! I totally miss you guys! But... I, I don't know if I can return just yet. The thing is, I still have some stuff to figure out on my own."

She wasn't feeling up to having this conversation again, so her brain remember her that another pony lived on the place, one that also had pending business with her and could be used as a sort of distraction maybe.

"Anyway... I'm here for Twilight. Where is she?"

"Mmm, well... she—"

There was an audible pop and an intense flash that came behind Rainbow grabbing their attention. Twilight manifested herself from inside the sudden burst of purple light above them; her wings spread to their full extension, in a very Celestia-like manner, that seemed to banish and disperse the magic sparks that floated in the air.

She descended, then walked toward Spike, having a bit of trouble readjusting her wings comfortably to her sides due to a few misplaced feathers. Looking at her closely, she was in a very poor state: her mane was disheveled and with a few strands coming from her crest; her eyes were heavy, squinted, tired; her moves were slow, deliberated and forced.

"It's okay Spike, I was expecting her," She said.

Rainbow noticed that Twilight was very tired, but she moved to questioning if the egghead had been practicing that entrance; she had ponies to impress now that she was a full princess with a castle and a title, yet wondered even more how Twilight knew the exact moment to come out.

She wasn't on the surrounding areas before because Rainbow would have picked up her presence, so she couldn't have been listening. Rainbow then realized who she was thinking about; Twilight must have been spying with some kind of spell or magic thingy.

Well, that was kinda okay; it was her castle after all, and it gave Rainbow the opportunity and time she needed to talked things through alone with Spike. It was that, or she was really lucky with the timely intervention.

"Twilight?" Spike said, "You knew Rainbow was coming? Why didn't you say anything?"

"It's complicated Spike. And I need you to not say anything to anypony just yet. Would you promise Spike?"

"But why?"

"Please, Spike."

"Okay... I promise."

"Pinkie promise?"

"Pinkie promise."

"Thank you, Spike."

"Thank you for coming Rainbow. We need to talk." Spike tried to go after them when Twilight turned to him and added, "In private."

Rainbow followed Twilight watching over her back how Spike was left behind confused, and waving at her.

He said, "See you later, Rainbow..."

Rainbow waved back and flew over to Twilight. "I'm here, like I promised."

"That you are."

Rainbow frowned.

Twilight walked though the hall with Rainbow next to her. It was rare that Rainbow walked anywhere instead of flying, but now she had to. She took a glance of the high crystal ceiling —plenty of room to fly there— with the new chandeliers; all spotless. How does a wingless dragon got to those places was still a mystery to Rainbow —maybe it was part of the whole magic crystal tree castle kind of deal; it just kept itself sparkly. The castle looked fine and all, but she thought they will be going to the throne room yet took a turn to a different place.

The lack of conversation with the awkward clip clap of their hooves was beginning to feel unsettling to Rainbow, so thinking of the latest events, and the fact that they have put enough distance between themselves and Spike, she said, "So... What do you want to talk about that Spike can't listen over?"

"Not yet, it's better if we do it in here."

"Where?" asked Rainbow, a bit confused as to why they were staring at their reflection on a wall.

From the tip of her horn, Twilight channeled an orb of magic energy that shot a beam of light into a crystal high on the wall. The center of wall glowed in the shape of a simple door that later came to be.

"All that for just a door?"

"Be a little patient."

They opened the door and it lead down to some dark stairs, which only lightening was the little that came from behind them; that soon was gone, as they got downstairs and the door disappeared.

Vibrating chain noises were heard then quieted. In the dark, a new door began glowing deep sapphire-blue, a much bigger and imposing double door, adorned with vines lines in silver and violet, and Twilight's cutie mark on middle.

"What is that?"

"It's where I do most of my private research," said a proud and confident Twilight.

She put both her front hooves on the door standing up, and touched the bottom end of the cutie mark with the tip of her horn. She closed her eyes as she focused her magic whispering incomprehensible words. The borders of the six pointed star glowed and chimed filled with magic; making the door rumble while it slowly opened inwards.

The next room was no better in terms of lightening, but Rainbow already could discern a few silhouettes in the shadows. It was a big circular room with bookcases for walls and supported by six columns on an inner circle

Crystals gems, in the round brilliant diamond shape, were incrusted around the tops of the columns. They lighted up pale blue on succession and brightened every corner of the room as Twilight walked in. The place was under the crystal tree, judging by the wood ceiling and floor, and just the couple intruding crystal roots that went through the walls.

As the light filled the chamber, Rainbow noticed the different sections around the room, each labeled with their appropriated banner: a place full with strange machines was designated statistics; different maps regions and locations traced on, under cartography; many drawings of strange creatures and objects, appointed targets and others.

Twilight walked towards the desk on the further end. There were four chalk boards on the back with all sorts of strange words and equations that she began reading and mumbling about, but the work place didn't limit itself to the main desk; all over you could see scrolls on the floor, open books and many pictures, maps and drawings of all sorts of myths and legends, objects and creatures from all over the world.

You could see a sketch of an overflowing challis worshiped by a group of knights; the next, of a monkey's severed hand on the side of a crying king; a water fountain in the middle of a jungle; gold apples shining on a tree, yet the predominant subject was different forms of spirits.

There was one whom top half was of a blue pony with thick gold bracers that went from her ankles to below her knees. The lower body was a sparkling mist flowing out of a eastern lamp. Her silver mane was tied into a high pony tail with a similar golden bracelet, and wore an earring with a small cuff on its upper ear that trailed down with a gold chain to an emerald stud. A beautiful, smooth, red silk scarf, was furled on her hips, where the pony turned into mystic spirit.

Another, was of a gigantic green sea serpent or dragon; long as a river and bigger than a mountain. It rose to the heavens from small crystals spheres glowing on the ground, and threaded its elongated body endlessly trough the clouds. Other, was in the form of a shadow or a veiled presence. The shade emerged from a what it seemed a monkey skull below; had stylized hands, long arms, no legs and small hollow eyes that stared at you, even from the drawing.

Vesperalis devouring sirens and drinking their blood under a full moon were depicted too; their eyes full of red as they fed on the songstresses. Windigos encircling ponies, and many others magical beings were portrayed all around.

"What are those things? Creepy..." Rainbow said looking back the shade. She was flying on top of the papyri drawing and trying to stare it down. She thought she won that match. She didn't.

"What's all this stuff?" Rainbow said taking a quick flight lap to the lab, but Twilight was still concentrated in something and ignored her.

She turned her attention to a section of the basement that had a wide square table on wheels, under a white sheet. She bit the cloth's edge and slowly uncovered the table with a move of her head. There, was a scale model of a town with a hydra on the outskirts.

"Is this... Ponyville?" said Rainbow looking at Twilight's back; shocked, at the model.

Twilight knew that a headache was coming. She taped the bridge of her nose, bit her bottom lip, took a deep breath and sighed. This was it.

"Rainbow, you are not the only one that has been... absorbed, with saving Applejack."

"What?" Saving Applejack? What does she mean?

Twilight turned to face Rainbow; her face tired and worried. "Please, listen carefully. Since I saw your demonstration yesterday, I been testing some theories, cracking some numbers and—" She inhaled as deep as she could "—there is no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. I believe there is a chance, a way, to bring Applejack back with us."

For some reason Rainbow hadn't noticed but, the section where Twilight was standing, the center of all the madness, was plainly labeled just over her head under a single word. It was written, like and unlike the others banners in bold jet-black letters, but crossed, repeatedly, over and over again with red, yet the word was still very easy to recognize: Necromancy.