• Published 25th Mar 2015
  • 523 Views, 1 Comments

Nothing Is Impossible - Horizon Prime



A cruel act of fate. A crazy plan to fight it. Rainbow, Twilight and Rarity join together in secrecy, in a mad attempt to save her friend from the maws of death.

  • ...
2
 1
 523

Chapter 3 – Tenacity

"Somepony, anypony, please help me."

"Hah, no, no, Rainbow help!"

"I'm coming, AJ!"

"Ah'm scarred, Ah'm scared."

No, no, not again! She is too far.

"I bet you were just lazing around like a bum..."

"Like always, you were lazing around, and AJ had to pick up your slack. She had to take your place."

No! This can't be happening, this can't be.

"If you were there from the beginning nothing would had happened and AJ would still be alive."

Please no, please no.

"It should've been you who died."

She'll be fine, she'll be fine.

"You're the worst."

"You are always lazing around and that's why you aren't fast enough."

I'll make it this time, I'll make it, I have to...

~~<<0>>~~

Rainbow Dash wakes to yet another nightmare. Her body was drench in sweet, and her heart pound in her chest slowly, but hard. She was not panicking or scared, only tense, and rose carefully from the cloud she had made her bed last night. In a way, she was used to this nightmare; the one she was always having in the last two years. More than that, it was through this nightmare that she still felt somehow connected to her friend.

In her dreams, she tried over and over to save Applejack, always failing, always too slow, but none the less, she goes to bed in hopes that she could see AJ again, that she could save her the next time. A hopeless illusion, but it didn't matter; she would still pursue it, every time.

The lovely sound of a couple of mocking birds, circling, and singing to each other, tickled her ears, just enough to force her to acknowledge that a new day had begun. She sat down, and used her hooves to rub her eyes forcibly as if erasing the images in her head.

She looked up the horizon, finding its morning dweller rising as well. Its golden rays brought life to the open fields below her, as the grass danced with its invisible partner and extended its choreography to a small line of trees that bordered an open road just to continue beyond. She knew those fields, she knew that road and she knew, to be close to home.

She took a breath of the crispy morning air and let out a heavy sigh. She have been postponing her return for more than a month now; lying to herself and thinking of ridiculous excuses, but it was time. No more running.

She bucked her cloud causing it to turn black and precipitate, and set herself under it letting the rain wash her cold sweet from her mane and coat. She took care to clean the dirt on her hooves, and prim her wings all the way; she had to be at least presentable to go where she intended.

Ponyville was just a jump away.

~~<<0>>~~

"Announcing, Prince Blue Blood of Equestria," said Spike with the enthusiasm of a death snail; then, his voice perked up, "and Miss A.k. Yearling!"

"Twilight Sparkle," said Daring Do as she bowed slightly in her novelist disguise. She walked the hallway to the throne room of Twilight's castle removing her grey cloche and red glasses, to properly meet her.

"Miss Yearling, how are you? I didn't expect this visit so soon," said Twilight with a smile as she shook her hoof; then, she lost all interest and nodded to the other unexpected visitor. "Blue Blood."

He replied her greeting examining his polished hoof for any imperfection and said, "You may refer to me as Prince Blue Blood or your Royal Majesty."

Twilight glared at him. "I am a Princess too you know?"

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow and looked at her up and down, as if he had never seen her before. "Oh yes, I forgot. How is the... friendship business going this days?"

Twilight smiled and closed her eyes ready to go into full lecture mode. "Well, now that you asked, we just found a way fo—"

"Yes, yes, very interesting indeed, but I have more important matters to discuss."

Twilight frowned and pouted, but waited as well as the others for him to get over with whatever he wanted.

"..."

He tilted to her companion and looked expectantly at Daring. "Tell her, Yearning."

"Me?" She blinked her eyes. "Okay..." she said a little surprised, but it was just like him to get others to do everything for him, even the talking, so it was not totally unexpected. "The expedition to the land far into the west ocean of Equestria was a success. I have finally located—"

"Ahem." Blue Blood coughed.

"Eh, I mean, his Royal Majesty successfully located the ruins of the lost civilization of Capri-Curuña."

"Ha-ha!" Twilight exclaimed, "I knew it, I knew it, the old scroll really pointed to the settlement, tell me how did it go? Did you find it?"

"Yes, I managed to—"

"Ahem, Ahem."

"We, managed to find, "The Life Giver" but it doesn't work—"

"No! What? Why? Was it damage?"

"No, it's just that the legend was somehow... misleading," Daring said glancing to her side. "See, the land of the Capri-Curus was said to be in a desert, but where we found the ruins was a deep tropical forest full of swamps and rivers. The curious thing, was that most of the water in the region was salted water, and the flora and the fauna, had adapted to this oddity, and it was all thanks to "The Life Giver." "

"How?"

"Hmm... Why don't I, show you better—" she reached under her purple shawl with her hoof, and took of an object wrapped in a white sheet "—behold, "El Dador De Vida." " In a swift move, she used her teeth, and uncovered the old treasure grinning with excitement.

It was a transparent crystal gem, of a light ice blue color, the size of a hoof-ball and shaped like two cones, jointed together at the base that were suspended inside two gold rings aligned, one on top of the other, with ancient runes carved on their outer face.

"Oooh, very impressive, and in pristine condition. It's just how it was described in my book," said Twilight eying the device as she jumped around it clapping her hooves.

"Now, all we have to do is align the rings"—Daring squinted her eyes on the artifact's letters while she fiddle with it with her wings—"forming the right set of words, and... Voilà."

The mysterious gem glowed deep blue, and the space between the ring was filled with a shining white light; then, from beneath it, a torrent of water started flowing causing all the present to stand back.

"You see, it's a water fountain! An endless water fountain, but more precisely, it's a small portal to the bottom of the ocean."

"So... it just... squish water?" said Spike disappointed watching a little fish come out of the ring and splash on the wet carpet.

Daring moved the rings again, the water stopped and the glow slowly resided. "Water, is very important in the desert, and the Capri-Curus created this portal that makes water flow constantly. Of course, it's salted water but still, they could use their magic and various others processes to separate the salt and the water, this way they could live in harshness of the desert, sell salt, and flourish; hence, the name of "The Life Giver."

"The cause of the Capri-Curus disappearance it not very clear; it seems that a form of smallpox plagued them, forcing them to abandon the city and venture into the desert, and with the passing of time, and with The Life Giver without control, the whole place flooded and—"

"Ahem, Ahem."

Daring sighed. "But that's not what interest his majesty," she said.

"It's not? Then, what is it?"

"You see on the way back we discov—"

"Ahem—"

"Oh! Sweet mercy!" Scowling, Daring took a deep exasperated breath and continued with all the repressed anger of eight school teachers. "His Royal Majesty, Prince Blue Blood of Equestria, discovered, in the commodity of his Fancy yacht, through his Fancy telescope—" she let out quite a bit of that anger into a relieving exhale "—a previously unknown and deserted island formation near the Equestrian coast, close to Las Pegasus, and likes to present a formal petition, for them to be commissioned as his property for his discovery and use to establish his new residence."

"What?" shouted Twilight and Spike.

"Yes, I would like a new house far away from the common rabble and with a new fleet to acquire new lands and expand the Equestrian borders, as is my right."

"That's ridiculous, and why did you come to me for that, I don't think that—"

"It a good thing that I didn't ask you to think. I commanded you to do, and what I want you to do, is to file the official petition for it to be carried to the courts, that way I can claim this land before any other"—he took out a file—"I hope you are competent enough to do what your told. Here are the coordinates."

Twilight narrowed her eyes and growled loudly as he shoved the papers to Spike.

"Good, with all the traveling and delaying bureaucracy, I was getting tired; it is no way to treat my Noble-self.

As you were." He leaved the room with that.

Spike said, "I hate that guy."

Twilight was still glaring at where he leaved as she said, "He's been more obnoxious than ever since the appearance of the castle."

"Huh? How so?" asked Daring.

Snapping out of her furor, Twilight said, "He's been given Celestia quite the hard time demanding for his own castle."

"Ha! So that's it. He wants to build a fortress there to show everypony."

"Who knows... Ugh! This just gives me more trouble."

"I feel you. If it wasn't for his endorsement for all the expeditions I would never stand that guy."

"But you have to admit, he does have a way with maps and finding places." said Twilight.

"More like he's the luckiest son of a mule," said Daring.

"What are you talking about?" asked Spike.

"Okay, so... one time, for three days, I was stuck working nonstop trying to find the entrance to the treasure room of some old ruins, and he have the audacity to come out of his vacation on his private yacht and reprimand me for talking so long—" she shook her head of the memories "—Anyway, he gets there and after standing all demanding, begins examining intensely a pebble on the ground, and I am looking at him like, this guy it's crazy, so he picks it up and throws it to a wall, and boom! Crash! Down it comes falling like it was made of dominos; behind, it's the whole, treasure room! With the jewels and the gold. And, you know what he does? He just stand there, looking at me, shaking his head with disapproval, and says, 'Hump, commoners.' Gosh! Every time. Drives me crazy."

"You know, he'll probably get that island for his new castle too, just like that," said Twilight resigned.

They all hung their heads and sighed.

"I forgot to ask. Where are the others? Wasn't this a formal thing?" asked Daring.

"Oh?" Twilight blinked twice. "This was so unexpected that they couldn't come."

"Too bad, I was hoping to meet them again. Well, I see you around. We'll go to Canterlot for storage, and let them decide if we should return or keep this baby. I hope they can keep it safe this time. I still can't get over how they lost the Alicorn amulet all those years ago. I mean, what they do with all the dangerous stuff I find; just put them in card boxes in some big storage room, seriously."

Twilight looked everywhere and rubbed her leg with a crooked smile. "Hahehe... yeah..."

"Okay then, another day, another adventure. I expect new information from you and "His Royal Pain" you two had been a big boost to my career. See ya." Daring put on her cloche and glasses and exit the palace.

Twilight waved good bye at her friend and got ready to work. "Spike, prepare to send the petition."

"Way ahead of you Twilight," he said already filling up the required papers.

She smiled with pride and satisfaction. "What will I do without you."

"Panic?"

"Oh, shush." She push him playfully in the shoulder, which was tougher than she expected; the baby dragon had grew a bit, his tail was longer and he wasn't so chubby anymore, but his face remained the same, except it was almost at eye height. They both shared a laugh, and marched to the inner works of the castle.

Although Twilight had managed to stay composed, she was greatly disappointed by the resent development; another fail trail. She thought for sure that this time would find something useful, but most of her plans and discoveries had been in vain.

She had been feeding clues and information to Daring pointing to various legends and artifacts hoping that Daring would pick the ones she was really interested in finding, and by keeping the Prince as the official benefactor, she avoided most of the realm attention; besides, it seemed that Blue Blood was very effective in this line of work. If you could stand working with him, and he taking all the credit.

Twilight felt very frustrated, and yet, she smiled. Seeing Daring always reminded her of Rainbow; they were so alike.

Two years... It has been two years since the last time she seen her, but being in the castle, in the thrones room, it was inevitable not to think about them. The two empty seats. Honestly died and Loyalty left that time three years ago. "Princess Of Friendship," that title seemed taunt her every time she was in that room. Twilight had been feeling very nostalgic lately, and now after seeing Daring, she felt strangely compelled to pay a friend a visit.

"Spike, could you finish up without me? I like to take a quick flight to blow up some steam."

"No problem, Twilight, you can count on me."

"Thanks, Spike, you are the best."

"I know. Have Fun!"

Twilight spread out her wings and teleported to the sky outside the castle and flew in direction of a lonely hill with an apple tree.

~~<<0>>~~

Twilight was getting very nervous as she flew and she didn't exactly knew why. The clouded air felt strange, and her heart beat harder and in a foreign rhythm, like it was trying to tell her something in code.

She continued flying regardless, until she saw it in the distance: the pale figure of a pegasus sitting by Applejack's grave. At first she didn't recognize the color, but coming closer, she could see the signature multicolored mane and tail, and panicked.

What was she going to do? Should she land beside her and greet her? Should she try to walk over there? Maybe a Pinkie tactic, and just teleport there and be like "Hiya, Rainbow, whatcha doin'." Horse apples, it felt much like approaching a beautiful wild animal. She wanted to hug her so much, but didn't want to spook her away. In the end she opted to land at a safe distance and walk over.

With each short step she was getting closer to Rainbow, quietly and very slowly, flinching every time the grass crunched. Her movements were like a cat stalking a mouse, and when she was about twenty feet, she halted.

One more step, one more move, one more noise, and Rainbow would surely notice her.

She was scared. She didn't want her to leave, but didn't know how to make her stay.

She couldn't move. She wanted to just be with her friend, to see her even for a while.

She decided to stand still, and appreciate the bittersweet moment... as long as it lasted...

"Hi, Twilight." Rainbow turned her gaze from the grave and looked back at her friend. "Come sit with me," she said in dispirited tone.

"You knew I was here?"

"I could see you a mile away," she said looking back at the grave.

Twilight's mind ran with a hundred thoughts. What now? Should she say something? Should she tell her she is sorry? That she missed her? Where did she go? Should she be angry at her for leaving? Was she allowed to speak to her now? How could she make her to stay?

No, she couldn't make her to do anything; it was Rainbows choice not hers. She could only hoped that Rainbow would open up, and trust her again. Twilight swallowed all her doubts and questions, and joined her by the grave.

"Beloved granddaughter, daughter, sister and friend." So simple, so direct, so much like Applejack, and yet, so much missing. The stone plate was in great condition, not a spot of mold, dust or dirt on it. Lovely vases full with flowers adorned each side, the grass and trees around it were trim to perfection, and little birds' nests close by filled the air with relaxing tunes.

Their friends were there not long ago.

Twilight swallow a big lump. She dared to take a look at Rainbow and was surprised at how much she'd change: Her light cerulean coat had now a very distinctive tone of grey; on its left side, she could see three slash scars and two more below her chest, it appeared that they were neglected and scared bigger than they had to, but most striking was the one over her left eye; a single thin slash that went from over her eyebrow and just above her cheek crossing her eye.

Her eyes... She hadn't notice it before but Rainbow's vivid cerise eyes were now very grey; they where puffed and had bags under, and had a fragmented quality to them much like the eyes of a crystal pony. Was this really Rainbow Dash?

Twilight herself had grown a bit when she first transformed to be an Alicorn, and now Rainbow seemed to match her height, not only that, her wings were larger, not as large as hers, but longer than the average pegasus. All of those changes contrasted with the colors of her mane and tail that were much vibrant than ever before.

Just what happened to her? Why had she leaved? Why wouldn't she talked to her? Did she hate her that much? Why would—

"I'm sorry, Twilight," said Rainbow with her sight firm on the plate. "I know now that it wasn't your fault." Her voice was flat and devoid of emotion. "And it was really cruel and unfair of me to say those things to you, and... I'm very sorry."

She is sorry? What do I do now? Should I say something? What do I say? What if I say the wrong thing and she leaves? What do I do? Twilight was silently panicking. Her hooves trembled, and could bearably hold them from jumping up, close the distance and bring Rainbow to her heart.

Across the years she had searched for her, she even asked Princess Luna to use her dream magic and tried to locate her, and although Luna managed to, she told Twilight that Rainbow didn't wanted to be found.

This was the closest she'd been to Rainbow.

The closest that she may come back.

One wrong word, one wrong move and she could be gone forever.

Okay, keep it together, be quiet and just hang in there. You'd been doing fine.

"Spike... was right. It was my fault."

"What!?" Twilight stepped to the side of the grave so she could see her in the eyes. "No, Rainbow, no—"

"Please, Twilight... just... let me say this..."

Twilight hastily covered her muzzle with her hooves. Her eyes desperate and wide open.

"How do I begin..." Rainbow took a deep breath and let out a sigh. "The thing is, I never really had to work for anything in my life..."

She looked to the sky far into her memories and said, "Since I was just a little filly in flight school, I was already better at flying than all the other kids and all of our teachers. A natural."

A relaxing breeze began blowing shaking some of the old apple tree leaves. Rainbow watched as the first one to fell, ran with the wind leaving her siblings behind.

"I was way faster than any of them could ever be, but they always pressure me to do the basics, y'know, wing pushups, gliding and such, which to a normal filly it was good, to get their strength up so they could keep up in the air, but for me, it was too easy and boring, so I never did them.

"I was always lazing around and crashing trying new and more exciting tricks, that why they called me "Rainbow Crash" and eventually they kick me out of the school, but I didn't care."

She turn her sight to the top of the old tree itself, and watch it play with the wind as more leaves fell.

"As time went by, I realized more and more that no one could beat me, that I was already at the top, so I never had to put up any work. All those competitions and all those challenges were only to prove the others, how awesome I already was, and how I was destined to be in the Wonderbolts, and be the best of the best."

Rainbow turned to face Twilight. "So you see, I never really trained to get better or put any dedication. Heh, I was so lazy, that when the best young flyer competition came, I couldn't do the Sonic Rainboom anymore, how lame was that—" She hung her head and close her eyes "—Spike said... that I wasn't fast enough for all my laziness..." She opened them to see AJ grave and caressed it with her hoof. "I never really thought that one day somepony else would pay the price for my stupidity."

"Rainbow, he didn't—"

"I had to know, Twilight... I had to know if he was right... That if I trained as hard as I could, and reach all I could be, I could have saved her... I had to know if it was really... my fault..." She faced the other way, ashamed of herself. "And he was right. It had been six months now that I haven't improve a bit; I cannot be any faster than I am today.

"But I can safely say, I'm the fastest thing that would ever be.

"So I came back to apologize, to AJ, to you, Spike, the girls, to Granny Smith, Big Mac, and... to Apple Bloom. I owe you and them, that much.

"If you choose to hate me and never forgive me, I'll understand. I plan to leave anyway; I don't deserve to have any friends..."

"Rainbow, no! Please, don't leave." Twilight grabbed Rainbow by the shoulders fearing that she would lose her again. "I don't hate you, no pony does; It wasn't your fault. Please, please, don't leave."—She hugged her—"We'll talk to Spike, the girls, and the Apples. You'll see, everything gonna be just fine."

"It alright, Twilight, I'm okay with it now." Rainbow gently pulled from the hug.

Twilight shook her head emphatically and a couple of her tears fell on the grave. "No, Rainbow, you couldn't have done anything."

Rainbow gave her a heavy smile. "You are right, Twilight, I was powerless; I chose to avoid what I had to do and AJ paid the price."

"Rainbow no, matter how prepared you are there always be something unexpected; we can't prepare for everything. Sometimes we just aren't ready, and have to solve the problems as they come and accidents happen."

"But that wasn't just anything unexpected, that was flying, speed, that's what I do, is who I am."

"I was also there, and I could have done something—"

"And you did, you kill the hydra, saved the ponies, even with the poison in you. if only I were there sooner you and AJ wouldn't had to breathe so much of the stuff and we could had dealt with it before anything."

"You know about the poison?" Twilight said with surprise.

"Yeah, I'm not stupid, I needed to know all about that thing so I asked around and pick up some book that mentioned it." She spoke with a low voice filled with bitterness. "I knew something had to be wrong or that thing would've never caught AJ."

"Still, no matter how fast you are now, you couldn't—"

"I'll prove it to you," Rainbow said getting annoyed with Twilight insistence.

"Rainbow, that's not what I meant."

"Hehehe... same old Twilight, always underestimating all the other non-horned ponies. You know, magic is not all that special."

Ugh! Why is Rainbow always so difficult!? Now what could she do? How could she convince her that it wasn't her fault? Rainbow was shutting down all her reasons and said that after she apologize she'll leave. Twilight needed to persuade her but how? She was getting out of options and out of time. Nothing else to do.

"Okay. Prove it, but if you fail, you'll have to stay."

"Deal."

Poor Twilight, she is so easy to mess up with. Rainbow knew Twilight wouldn't give up unless there was some kind of definitive proof or a test, so she used Twilight's weaknesses: magic and her humility, and tricked her into a competition.

Rainbow didn't show it, but she was very happy that Twilight had forgiven her. It was obvious for how much she wanted her to stay and convince her that it wasn't her fault. She was very thankful for her sentiment, but she couldn't forgive herself for what happened, and even less, make them all see every day the one who let AJ die.

"So how are we going to do this?" Twilight asked.

"Just think of how fast I had to be to... to save AJ, and I'll prove you that I am ready for anything now, that I am now, how I had to be."

Rainbow, you're always too overconfident. This test of hers was too vague, too open and Twilight was going to take advantage of that. She hated to do that to her friend but it was Rainbow own fault, and it was preferable to hurt her pride than have her living on blaming herself for AJ death.

Twilight rose her head and searched the surroundings. "So I can do anything?"

Rainbow nodded.

Twilight saw Rainbow prepare, lower her stance, and spread out her wings. She was right, they were longer than before, but instead of spreading them upwards —ready to take off— she pointed them forward, below her jaw; it was a very strange position and counter intuitive of what a speedster would do. Just what is she planning?

Rainbow looked down and whispered, "Hey... AJ, I'll give you a show now... hope you'll like it." She rose her head with determination and a bit of arrogance. "So... what's it gonna be Twilight?"

Twilight was going to cheat.

"See those that tree over there." Twilight pointed to an oak tree forty-five yards away that was just about her teleportation range. "You have to get there before I do." The instant she said this, she ignited her horn and blinked there. It was a cheap move, and Rainbow was the only one to blame, but something unexpected happened; when Twilight blinked out, Rainbow was already there in front of her, like she had been there the whole time.

W-what happened? Twilight asked herself. Did she miss her spell and teleported in the wrong place?

Twilight had to look back at the grave and then to the tree to be sure that she had done it right.

"How d—" the only explanation Twilight could come up, was that Rainbow must have grabbed her without her knowing and blinked there with her. Yeah, that must be it.

"Clever" Twilight said, "but it won't work this time." She jumped back and flapped her wings flying a few steps backwards.

Rainbow was still staring at her in that strange pose.

"Now, catch me before I reach the next one over ther—" she did it again, but this time ignited the spell faster, before she pointed to the place, cutting her last word.

She blinked out confident that Rainbow hadn't grabbed her, and couldn't had made it, but the result was the same.

Rainbow was once again in front of her; her head half turned with a raised eyebrow mocking her.

"What the—"

What was going on? How did she do it? Could she teleport as well? No, impossible. Aside from the obvious, even if she could, she'll have to arrive later because she casted first and there be an light flash and magic residue. Twilight frowned, rubbed her chin and took her time.

She notice something strange around her; sounds where muffled, the air felt thin and the wind was gone. She felt as if something had covered her ears making her own breathing the only thing she could hear; it was as if she had her head under water. She rubbed her ears and tried to shake the odd sensation.

Rainbow took notice of this and relaxed her stance; in a second, all returned to normal.

Twilight didn't think much of the strange phenomenon, and attributed it to her fast teleportation, but she was getting desperate. How was Rainbow doing this? She tried again, but now, she only said, "catch me!" And blinked out behind the tree line.

Rainbow was already there.

Twilight continued to teleport numerous times, but every time Rainbow was always in front of her.

"How are you doing this?"

"I told you, I'm fast."

"Okay, let's see that speed." Twilight took off to the air, leaving Rainbow on the ground and flew a good five hundred yards into the clouds, with Rainbow standing still and staring at her.

Twilight shouted, "Come and catch me now!" She squinted her eyes and tried not to blink as to figure out, Rainbow's trick. What she saw make no sense at all.

It was like Rainbow image was put through the wrong side of a telescope; then, bended, twisted and expanded right in front of her, out of the air and almost instantly.

Twilight flew back out of the surprise sputtering incoherent noises that ended with her jaw hanging.

Rainbow couldn't help but to cover her muzzle with a wing and snicker at her. "That was some good thinking with the teleportation back there; you almost caught me by surprise the first time," she said to a flabbergasted Twilight in mid air as she continued to snicker, "but the flash to where you're going comes first; then, you take about a fourth of a second to come out"—she looked up and started tapping her shin—"and that's without counting all the time I have to prepare while you cast the spell."

Rainbow narrowed her eyes, and pressure her lips together smiling, with only her left side coming up as she looked at her. "With all that, and because you can only teleport a short distance, it was easy to catch you."

Twilight came out of her catatonic state, and rattled at Rainbow's explanation. "But that's impossible! You just flew more than five hundred yards in less than a second," she said while flying around, wailing her forelegs, trying to figure out how Rainbow had done it. "But I didn't even see you move or... bate, your wings...?"

Twilight had been so stunned that hadn't realized that Rainbow was suspended in the air without moving her wings the whole time; they were safely folded to each side, like she were standing on the ground. "How are you doing that!" Twilight pointed at Rainbow's hooves.

"Oh, this?" She rose up her hoof and set it down. "I just... don't need to flap my wings anymore—" she shrugged "—no biggie."

"What do you mean, you don't need to flap your wings to fly? That makes no sense!" Twilight said with a hoof pressed on her forehead as she shook her head.

"I do need to flap my wings to fly, but now a I can walk in the air too, if I want to"— she took a few steps in the emptiness—"It's just like walking on a cloud really."

Twilight stared at where Rainbow was or wasn't standing, hoping to find some kind of glass platform, or magic horseshoes, but she only saw the apple field below, and a couple of clouds passing by. "Rainbow, I don't understand what's going on? How are you doing any of this?"

Rainbow smiled of satisfaction seeing the look on her friend face after blowing her mind. "It took me some time to figure it out, but it's all in the air," she said closing her eyes and enjoying a deep breath.

Twilight tipped her head to the side and asked, "The air?"

Rainbow nodded, then opened her eyes. "At first, I tried my best to get better and be faster, and it worked out really well to some point, but then, I got stuck; the air pressure was too much, it wouldn't let me go any faster, and kept throwing me off balance time after time, that's how I got these—" She traced with the tip of her wing the her scar over her eye, and the ones on her chest "—I was trying to find a solution to this when I remembered the times I broke the sound barrier; there, for an instant, the air wouldn't hold me, and I was free..."

Rainbow spoke with a smile in her face remembering all the times she had performed that move. "I tried to replicate that feeling all the time, and then it just clicked."

"What? What was it?"

"I realized, that I was always fighting with the air, that we were competing with each other, but it wasn't my enemy; how could it be my enemy if it was the same air that gets me of the ground in the first place? It was just like me and AJ, always competing with each other."

"Huh?" Twilight seemed more confused than before.

Rainbow's grin took over her face. "The air was my friend and I didn't even know it, but the part of the air that was my friend was very small, just a little bit around me—" she gestured a bubble around her with her hooves and wings "—so I tried to understand it better, to get to know more of it little by little. Now I don't fight with it anymore and we get along just fine."

"You made... the air... your friend?"

"Exactly! Well... not all the air. The part of the air that it's my friend now is about a mile long in every direction, but inside that space, it let me do whatever I want, and it even helps me fly way faster than ever before. Although... it feels... kind of weird... like being pushed and stretched and squished at the same time."

If what Rainbow said, meant, what Twilight think it meant, that would mean that Rainbow had somehow expanded the pegasi natural magic, and air control beyond the boundaries of her body.

Normally, a pegasus inner magic manifest around its body like an invisible layer just beneath their skin, this granted them the ability to push and control the air especially the clouds, allowing them to walk on its surface; also, insert them magic to produce lightning, water and ice, but what Rainbow said was in a level never seen before.

The closest to that level of control on the surrounding atmosphere, was only seen in Princess Luna, where the air surrounding her responded to her commands and emotions.

Luna herself possessed a displacement spell in which she used the air and wind as a means of transportation by turning herself in small particles similar to a mist and travel through the air, but the speed Rainbow was able to achieve with hers was unlike anything Twilight knew.

"So this is what you were doing the whole time? This is why you leave us, to make friends with the air?" Twilight asked as she landed on a cloud, flaring her wings, and unintentionally letting a bit of her resentment show.

Rainbow was silent for a while. She then took a breath of courage and said, "I haven't told you, but I see AJ all the time—" she turned her gaze to the horizon "—she is always there in the distance, exactly a mile away, just a second before she died, looking at me, expecting me to save her."

She harshly scrubbed her eyes with her forelegs intending to erase the image, and desisted a moment later, given its futility. "I was always trying to catch her but couldn't; the air wouldn't let me—" she wiped out an oncoming tear "—That's why I leaved."

"Rainbow..."

Rainbow's wings started to slowly spread; her left hoof rose trying the touch the ghost of her distant memory. "But things are different now, and she is just there... so close to me and yet... so far."

Her body tensed and started to lose all the color her coat had left, slowly becoming grey from her hooves, to her head, making her mane and tail appear brighter than before.

Twilight remained quiet, as she observed how her friends odd behavior, silenced all the noise.

"I leaved because I had to know. If I hadn't let her there, she would be alive." Finally, Rainbow's grey eyes shined cerise again, and in an instant, her whole body stretched thin and vanished into the air.

All was quiet...

Twilight was perplex. She searched around hoping to find Rainbow and fearing she had made her leave again; next, a sonic explosion came, throwing her out of balance with its powerful gust of wind, and pushing her farther into the distance screaming and performing uncontrolled somersaults as the wave washed clean the sky, of all the clouds.

When she came to it, Rainbow was once again with her. Her body and eyes colors had returned to how they were before her burst, and was holding Twilight's hoof restoring her balance.

Twilight didn't know it, but Rainbow had just flew a mile away and returned in an instant.

"Sorry about that," Rainbow said rubbing the back of her head and letting go of Twilight hoof. "It happens sometimes when I get too emotional."

"It's okay, I'm okay."

"Gosh, look at me blabbering. Totally un-cool." She faced bashfully to her side and a faint blush colored her smile. "I guess... I really missed somepony to talk to... I missed you... I missed my friends..." She lastly said looking down at where AJ rested.

Rainbow rose her head with determination. "But, I win," she said definitely.

"What? N-no, wait—"

"I'll be around for today and maybe tomorrow, after that.. well... I love you, Twilight, and I'm really sorry.

"Bye."

Rainbow had seen that deep down Twilight held a grudge over her, and didn't wanted to make her feel that way. It was best for all if she leaved. She turned around and envisioned her next destination.

Twilight had to think of something. She had failed. Everything would fall apart again. Rainbow was going away, like she was never there. Never to be seen. Lost forever...

The wall of reality came down in front of Twilight. Her pupils expanded to envision the magic of the universe and all in it; in a flash an idea deep rooted in her mind bloomed bright in the dark firmament of her eyes; within them, a spectacle of sparks like never before. Past, present and future, she understood it all, and finally knew for the first time in a long time, what she had to do, and how all things connected.

"Wait!" she screamed and held Rainbow with her raspberry magic.

Rainbow felt slightly insulted being held like that and waited very annoyed—not like she had much choice.

Twilight flew in front of Rainbow and release her of her magic grip. Her hooves were firm and resolved as she grab her by the shoulders and pulled her closer, and her eyes bore a striking authority as she looked into Rainbow's.

"Rainbow, I need you to wait, and come to the tree castle tomorrow evening." She spoke in a composed and paced, clear voice. "I have something extremely urgent I need to do now, and need you to come by later."

Her eyes faltered for a moment considering the implications of Rainbow's refusal. "If you ever held any love for AJ, or for me, you'll have to come. Please Rainbow, it's of extreme importance that you come. Lives are stake here."

Rainbow didn't know what to think. Twilight would never use her love for AJ if it wasn't something important. It better be something important. However, a part of her thought, that Twilight might just be doing this to get her to stay.

"What up with you all of the sudden?"

"I don't have time to explain. Promise me, you'll come," she said never taking her eyes of hers.

Rainbow hesitated, but Twilight didn't seem that she'll let go any other way; besides, what was another day or two. "Okay, I promise."

"Please, Rainbow, remember... for AJ, and for me."

"I'll remember."

"Good, see you then."

Twilight smiled and let go of Rainbow. She set her goal to her tree castle and flew as fast as she could. She didn't look back even though she strongly wanted to, and carried on with a determination usually seen only when the fate of Equestria was at stake. With the castle finally in sight she teleported the last breach and appeared right in throne room. The distance to the castle wasn't much for a pegasus, but for Twilight, given her urgency it was more tiring any marathon.

"Spike!" she yelled as she ran through. "Spike, where are you!?"

She teleported again and arrived at an inner storage room with a small wooden desk, and some wooden stands full of scrolls where she kept all the paper work. She found him there very concentrated scribbling on a couple scrolls.

"What are you doing?" she asked the draconic assistant.

"Oh! Hi, Twilight, you are back! I'm just finishing Prince Blue Blood petition." He put down his quill on its small ink pot made of glass, and rose the scroll so she could see it better.

"Stop that." She used her telekinesis to crush the petition and then set it on fire, leaving nothing but a few ashes she teleported to the garbage.

Spike raised an eyebrow and watched the remains of his morning work a bit depressed but mostly scared of her sudden conduct.

"I need you to send an urgent message to Daring Doo in Canterlot."

"What about the petition?" he said looking back at the trash.

"Forget that ever happened. This is important. Spike, take a note."

He reached back for a new paper and quill. "Ready."

Twilight closed her eyes and began pacing around the room as she spoke, "Dear friend Daring, a matter of great importance has come up, and I need to request of you a big favor. Please, come to my castle at Ponyville a soon as possible. I'll be forever in your debt. Always your friend, Princess Twilight Sparkle." She stopped and looked at Spike for confirmation. "Did you get all that?"

Spike contorted his face as he reached the final sentence. "Aannnd... done."

"Very well, put it to the mail later today."

"Twilight? What's going on?"

"I can't explain now. I'm going to the basement, I'm not available for anyone understood?"

"What if Celestia comes or something?"

Twilight was reluctant to reject Celestia, and flinched at the thought, but this was far more important than anything. "Tell her... that I'm really sorry but she'll have to wait until past tomorrow." She resumed very commanding with the instruction. "No interruptions, understood?"

"O-Okay," said Spike a little insecure.

Twilight didn't waste any more time an teleported.

Spike stared a moment at where Twilight was, shrugged and started walking oblivious to the kitchen in search of a midday sack. "What was that all about?"

~~<<0>>~~

"What was that all about?" Rainbow said out loud as she watched Twilight with a critical eye, flying away to Ponyville in a hurry. She had a decent pace Rainbow had to admit.

She smiled.

Rainbow hated being alone, and longed for the company of her friends and love ones. She had been in exile for too long, and just being able to talk to Twilight again was enough to fill her battered soul.

She sighed.

Rainbow had to remind herself what she came back for. She hadn't returned for her happiness or her friends; she wasn't worthy of any. She had returned to face her mistakes, to apologize and let whatever punishment they choose, be done.

She turned from Twilight and set her vision to the Apples farm; her crystallized pupils swirled focusing far into the distance. As a pegasus, she had the sight of an eagle, and could see miles away, and that only improved over the last years.

She could see the Apple family enjoying a peaceful day; Big Mac sweating from his frown hauling a plow; Granny Smith with hooves trembling putting a steaming pie over a window, and Apple Bloom concentrated bucking some trees.

Applejack's death flashed in front of her—Rainbow desperately scrubbed her eyes trying to get it out, and only paused when she had caused herself enough pain to forget about it.

She kept on watching them going through the motions of a regular day in the farm, and wondered, if it was selfish of her to go and ruin their day, or if she was being a coward by not going.

Everything was just a step away to Rainbow; a flap of her wings and she could be in Canterlot in a minute, a brief effort and she could be in the Crystal Empire within the hour, but to gather the strength to cross that mile took, her half a day.

In that time, she recited her apology speech to the air, changing the words, and messing the order every time. It was so useless; she wasn't any good for apologies, for any touchy stuff for that matter. She decided, it was better if she just went there, say she is sorry and let things go on from there.

The Sun was going away and so was her time. She took to memory one last troubled look of the pinkish clouds and the purple sky, when calming breeze came to her aide.

She had to do it now or she would never had the courage to try it again. A flap of her wings and half a step, and she was already in their front yard. They all had gone in for the day, probably tired from the hard day of work.

She took a few steps, walked up the door and knocked fast, so she could held up her courage, when she heard the heavy steps of judgment coming.

"Miss Dash?" said the big red stallion as he opened the door.

"Hey... Big Mac... um... how you been?"