• Published 25th Mar 2015
  • 522 Views, 1 Comments

Nothing Is Impossible - Horizon Prime



A cruel act of fate. A crazy plan to fight it. Rainbow, Twilight and Rarity join together in secrecy, in a mad attempt to save her friend from the maws of death.

  • ...
2
 1
 522

Chapter 6 - The Best Night Ever, part 2

Beneath the light of the morning sun, breathing the crispy mountain air of Canterlot, Rainbow, Twilight and Rarity waited for their engagement to arrive. Rainbow, in particular, tapped her hoof on the ground and sporadically paced from time to time, just to return to her spot again below the bands of pagasi ponies flying around Storm Weather, one of Canterlot's cloud tracks and training fields.

The pupil of her eyes involuntary drifted, past the limiting clouds banners to the racers, following them as they performed their tricks. In her mind, she was up there; chasing the flyers as they dove into clouds, bounced from others and evaded the black-stormy ones, all while speeding up and going for the center of a multicolored ring.

While she and her friends sat by the white border rails on the ground, she tried to avert her sight from the displays. They remained her of a life long passed, a dream far gone. This was part of why she was so restless and wanted to waste no second waiting for their appointment.

"So where is that Filthy guy? Is past ten already, shouldn't he be here?"

"Patience Rainbow Dash," Rarity said adjusting her table-size purple colored hat, accentuated with two pink feather and red colored cloth-flowers, so it would block the intrusive sun rays of her complexion. "He's a busy stallion but—see, here he comes; right on time."

Mr. Rich leisurely arrived displaying his accustomed money sign red tie as he walked. "Excuse me,"—he bowed then nodded when mentioning their names—"Princess Twilight, lady Rarity, miss Dash. I hope you didn't wait long."

"Actually," Rainbow said, "We—"

Rarity pushed Rainbow aside with a timely hip bump; smiling widely as she said, "Not at all, Mr. Rich. You are right on time."

"We heard from Rarity you could put us in contact with somepony from the pegasus betting circuit, is that correct?" Twilight asked.

"Yes, your highness, that is true. An old friend of mine, is an expert on pony races and very knowledgeable about the betting world; I'm sure he can help you. Right this way please."

He started walking to the small wooden lodge on the side of the tracks when he stopped. "Ah... um, but I must apologize in advance. He's not very... refined. I call him a bit of rascal but that feels too short. So please don't be too hard on me for anything he'll do."

Rainbow, Rarity and Twilight looked at themselves confused by the statement but still followed him to the lodge. The old rotten wooden door, that served as an entrance, was barely hanging by a rusty hinge and creaked as Mr. Rich opened it; allowing the three friends into the shaggy looking structure. The place was nothing more than a three room office with hay covering the ground, an equipment room with all sorts of racing suits, goggles, belts, saddles, and a main desk and reclining chair at the middle which accommodated their host.

The earth-pony's hind-legs rested crossed on one of the corners of the desk, exposing his cutie mark of a magnifying glass and a couple of dices with a pair of ones facing up at the center. He laid back on the chair holding a mare's fashion magazine to his face. The only other things visible from behind the paper, were his saddle-brown fur and long unkempt black tail, wagging like an excited dog; both of this tones matched perfectly the colors of the fedora on his head.

"Hey! Who are ya ponies? This is a private room ya can't just barge in," he said putting his magazine to the side noticing the group come in; revealing a angry but slick face with tired pink eyes. "Filthy?"—he squinted—"is that you? Filthy! Ya son of a gum. Ya remembered mah birthday you old fart. Ah thought Ah was gonna be spending it with mahself." He wrapped a foreleg around Mr. Rich, jabbing him on the chest with the other while laughing.

"Yeah... birthday... I remembered..." Filthy Rich said.

The stallion then really noticed the girls in the room. He slightly rose his hat with a hoof as he put on on his game smile. He watched them suggestively while walking around. "And you brought gifts, you shouldn't have. Mmm... sweet Celestia, this girls are just how Ah like them; the prissy pricy unicorn type like Fleur," he said smirking while paying special attention to Rarity.

"Excuse me!?" Rarity exclaimed.

With a glint on his eyes and a crooked smile, he rose an eyebrow turning his attention to Twilight. He rubbed his chin in contemplation as he said, "But oh... we have a Princess Twilight look-alike here too, huh? Ah love the fake horn, but without a crown it's hard to recognize her character, and her rump is not that bumpy."

"What did you say about my rump!?" Twilight sharply twisted her neck back and forth to him and her rump as she exclaimed.

"Meh—" he shrugged "—Ah would have preferred ya'd brought a girl dressed as a different Princess—but! Beggars can be choosers."

"HEY PAL!"

"Huh?"

SMACK! The pair of cyan blue hooves that went straight for his eyes worked perfectly as a sleeping pill, sending him directly to Luna's night—seeing stars and all.


The knocked out stallion quickly regained his conscience, but not his vision, as both of his eyes now emulated Twilight's fur color. The blurry vision cleared enough for him to made out his desk and wobbled to it; mumbling and stumbling like a drunk.

"Well done, Rainbow Dash. This shameless cad truly deserved it."

"How'd you know this bozo?"

"Sleazy and I were friends in school."

"Sleazy and Filthy, huh?"

"Please don't call me that."

"Ouch... what the heck was that? Ah! Mah head! Did Ah drink mahself to sleep again?" Sleazy said holding his head. "Oh, now Ah remember—" he turned to Rainbow and Mr. Rich "—Filthy, and spunky little—"

Mr. Rich's hoof promptly plugged the stallion muzzle. "Ha-ha-ha—Sleazy Eye, you are always so funny." Filthy swiftly took out his hoof spraying some saliva down next to Rarity hoof to which she quickly skipped back in horror. "Let me introduce you to, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia's former student and Prince Shining Armor's sister; and this are her close friends: Lady Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. They are here 'cause they want your advice."

"..."

"... Ladies! What can your humble servant do ya fer? Don't be shy, yah can ask for anything. Ah'm always eager to please such refine mares," he said with a sideway smile that looked ridiculous considering the state of his face.

"Hmm!" Rarity rose her nose and swung her hair turning away.

"Eh... you know," Mr. Rich said, "I just realized that I'm needed elsewhere." He carefully moved back then was returned to his place by a raspberry aura.

Twilight held her hoof to her chest as she took a deep breath, and let it out with a move of the same foreleg. She sternly addressed Sleazy while trying to remain composed. "Sir. We were hoping you could get our friend Rainbow Dash here into the pegasus races and point us to how to place our bets."

"Rainbow Dash? That sounds familiar... Ah! That filly who won the best young flyer competition sometime ago, huh? Tell ya what, since the ladies are so nice and pretty, Ah'm willing to lend my services. But before all, Ah need to examine her. See if she is fit to compete."

"I'm the best there is."

"That might been true a couple years ago but ya'd been out of the picture for some time and have some scars to consider. Ah need to know what Ah'm working with."

"Oh yeah? Let's take it outside, I'll show you—"

"Rainbow Dash," Rarity called hushing. "Remember we are playing it down."

"Oh, right, sorry guys."

"Ladies done gossiping?"

After a pause, and a miracle survival of a combined death stare by Sleazy, Rainbow took a deep breath and said, "Yeah, let's go out."

"Ah never say anything about going out," he said, "no offense, but Ah'm not into tomboys. Ah'm keen to proper ladies, like your pure sugar white, sweet unicorn friend over there." He semi-winked his bruised eye at her and smiled.

Rarity recoiled. "Eewww!"

"What? Then—"

"Ah just need to feel your muscles to know if ya're in healthy shape."

"Like heck I'm letting you put a hoof over me."

"Then Ah guess ya don't need my help at all," he said sitting back and reclining on his chair. "Don't forget y'all lovely young ladies arrived all dolled up, wanting see handsome old me. Ah guess Ah could say; y'all came to me. If you catch mah drift."

"That's it!" Rainbow cracked her neck and loosened her shoulders.

"Rainbow, don't!" Twilight got between the two and held her down from the shoulders before she could go and finish was she'd started a few minutes back.

"Mr. Rich, I must protest," Rarity said. "We were told that your friend here was a professional, but I can't help to be insulted be this swine behavior."

"Wait a minute," Mr. Rich said, "He may act like this but his talent is real. He just want to do a checkup of your friend condition, in that regard I trust him."

"Mr. Rich," Twilight said, "For your own good, I hope you're right."

The three friends huddle themselves face to face in a circle to discuss. "I don't trust him Rarity," said Twilight glaring at Sleazy who just stupidly smiled back.

"You said it yourself Twilight, we can't afford to waste any time," said Rarity feeling defeated. They both turned and watched Rainbow; the decision was ultimately up to her.

"Ugh, fine! But why do I feel like I'm getting the short-stick all the time," she said.

"He-he-he... if is the long stick ya want—"

"Sleazy!" Mr. Rich quickly interrupted with a freighted smile. "You may be okay by ending in the hospital or in jail, but I'm not. Would you exercise some restrain please."

Sleazy winked at him. "Gotcha'." Rainbow was pointed to stand at the center of the room. He began his examination; digging his fore-hooves on her back and legs and said, "Stay, still girl. Ah like to take mah time with things. Hmm... interesting... now follow my hoof with your eyes... Okay, now flap your wings... good, good. Bend down your knees, yes, yes, good girl—"

Dash immediately bucked him in the ribs leaving behind two nicely shaped hoof prints. He coughed repeatedly while kneeling down in pain. "Okay, she's good to go," he managed to say suppressing the pain in his voice as he held his internal organs in place.

"You're darn right I'm good."

The girls cheered in victory clapping their hooves in the air, not from passing the test of course, but from the almost passed stallion, and the satisfaction of seeing him crawling and whirling. As the girls were celebrating their foe defeat, Sleazy took it as an opportunity to voice a though to his old friend. "But there is something else..." he said.

"Something else?" Filthy asked intrigued.

He nodded and limped back to the mares and said, "My boys are out taking their rounds. Why don't you take them on? See how you do—on a race."

They all went out the lodge and walked below the cloud track. Somehow with a hoof and his muzzle, Sleazy made a high pitch whistle calling out his flyers. Twelve or so member gathered from all the different clouds around. They heard Sleazy explain then select five racers: two stallions and three mares. The selected racers flew to the start line, a cloud not far from the ground, and began stretching their muscles in preparation. Sleaze then looked at Rainbow and tilted his head to the flyers.

"Okay," Rainbow said, "let's do this." She began flexing her wings preparing for the race.

"Here darling, I'll splash some water on you—" Rarity pulled a water bottle from her saddlebags and emptied on Rainbow's head "—And do remember to pant dear."

Rainbow shook the water on her head almost springing Rarity were not for a timely, and very much appreciated, purple shield. Rainbow then turned to Twilight for any last minute advise.

Twilight said, "Don't be nervous, it would be fine, nothing to worry about, they wouldn't notice, the spell is working fine, just fine. Match the speeds of his flyers and you'll be fine, no pony would know—No, pony, would know."

"I know. Would you guys just relax; I got this."

"Sorry, Rainbow. It's just that I never cheated on a test before."

"Cheating is easy—ah, or so I'd been told—I'll better go."

Rainbow lined up among the racers. They eyed her up and down then set their eyes up to the course. She watched her competitors as well, making a quick judgment of their abilities based on their looks. The mares looked fast and agile and the stallions seemed well balanced. The mares would have advantage at the beginning; it was only a matter if they could keep up the lead to the end while not entering into any power struggle. Rainbow set herself to be at second place the whole time, sprinting at the end and win by nose. Easy peasy... she thought.

Sleazy called up to all the flyers, took a with flag in his muzzle and mumbled. "Okay. Let's go for twelve laps...."

"Ready..."

"Set..."

"GO!GO!GO!"

The moment the flag waved, the adrenaline building up in Rainbows body instantly rushed to her head and muscles. Right away, the race started with Rainbow taking the lead by an outstanding eight bodies length distance created by a powerful take off. She hadn't mean to, but her concept of a slow start was somehow deformed and this guys didn't put up much of a fight. Oh shoots! she thought seeing that they couldn't keep up with her on a straight line—or at all.

Luckily, the track had many opportunities for her to slow down and the first obstacle was coming: a big boulder-hill of a cloud, blocking closely the path for the first floating-loop or checkpoint. This was something the more savage cloud racing tracks had. The racers would split up in all directions surrounding the enormous cloud and converge at the center on the other side to enter the small loop. It was meant to favor crashes and collisions, and provide a better spectacle as the loop was just four ponies wide; only a sadist would put it so close to the cloud.

Rainbow set her body back to the cloud side, and pushed her wings trying to remain not so close to it—cutting a wider arc and slowing down as she pick up the curve. Being the first to the obstacle, the others wouldn't notice anything strange until they meet her on the other side; still, she couldn't simple let them pass first. She'll have to fake a bad side-way enter.

As she finished her arc, she stopped to a break and twisted for the loop. The maneuver would have caused a certain crash with the racers was she not in the lead. The others arrived just in time to see how she clumsily enter the loop and shorten the breach. Rainbow turned to see the grin on their faces thinking that she'd made a rookie mistake. As if...

The next part of the track was a good number of loops positioned one after the other. They made sorts of wormy courses, that zigzagged in the sky at the wind's mood like Celestia's mane. She had plenty of opportunity there to slow down on the curves and get passed by the purple stallion that tailed her.

All is not that easy. It seemed that this stallion was really bad at taking this part of the course, and the result of her twist and turns was her on the lead, with four ponies tied for the second place. Oh, Come on! Are you serious?

The following was the more conventional part of the track: an old circuit with wide curves fitting to most of the Cloudsdale's official tracks. Rainbow couldn't do much there. It would be to suspicious if she would lose the lead in such relaxed place; nevertheless, she thought it wouldn't be strange if they caught up with her given their familiarity with the path. They did; only a little. Thank Celestia...

The racetrack's end was as always, a straight line to the finish. Here, there would be less opportunity for them to catch up with her given the way she left them behind on the start. She decided to play it cool, as if trying to conserve her strength. The others really sped up and closed up to her trying to gain the leading-hoof on the funnel loop. Finally, some competition you guys.

As they crossed the starting line, a black mare of blue mane and tail, dressed in yellow spandex was in second place; four lengths away from Rainbow. Not far behind her, the purple stallion and the rest in an arrow formation trying to make use of the ponies in front. Rainbow sighed with relief as she took the wide turn surrounding the big cloud. The "setback" she had on the starting line would probably be fixed when entering the funnel, and could finally stick to her initial plan.

When she came around the cloud, she saw the mare coming right from the other side directly to her. The serious 'don't mess with me' look on her face spoke clearly that she didn't had any intention to slow down. As they both when for the loop it was obvious that they were going to crash, yet the other mare didn't flinch.

"Wanna play chicken, huh?" Rainbow said. She thrust her fore-hooves ahead and pressed forward against the wind to scare her off. Rainbow then heard her friends on the ground cheering for her and remembered she had to play it down. She begrudgingly slowed down letting the black and yellow mare enter first. But as they both reached for the opening, the mare tried to shoulder tackle Rainbow completely disregarding the loop.

"Whoa!" Rainbow opened her eyes wide, surprised by the move and attitude, but anticipated her clearly dirty intentions, and dodged with a smooth twist and switch to the opposite side of her attacker. Yet the mare wasn't done, having missed her initial attack she now had Rainbow at a feet reach of her hind-legs, and tried to kick her on the head before she could enter the checkpoint. Rainbow's instinct kicked in first; a quick flap of her wings, a hard twist of her body, and she boosted herself safely ahead and out of range, advancing like a spinning bullet, shot through the sky. That kick was beyond low and a clear foul play; nevertheless, it was Rainbow's quick and impossible reaction move that didn't go unnoticed by Sleazy, who rose an eyebrow and nodded in surprise.

The missed kick and the sudden air pressure leaved the offending mare out of balance and cost her some precious seconds. Rainbow laughed and snickered in the wind as she leaved the mare behind. Sucker... wait, that means... UGH! Rainbow sighed. I knew making me look bad wasn't goin' to be easy...


The rest of the race when without much ups or downs. Rainbow were always on the lead and let herself caught up with each lap a little. The truth was, she'd let the excitement get to her head, that was why she had so many problems. Given her experience with the funnel, she only let the rest of the group get to her on the worming loops. Near the end, the yellow dressed mare had lost some stamina and was now on third. The second place went to a different mare with a blue tone of fur. Rainbow let the second place get side by side as both reached the last line neck to neck; feigning tiredness and panting as she crossed—just like Rarity taught her.

As Twilight and Rarity ran to congratulate Rainbow, Mr. Rich stood and said, "She didn't do so bad, Sleazy. A win is a win; even by a hair."

"It sure, appears that way," he said squinting his mangled and swelling face.

"Huh?"

"Nothin'. Seems she's got great stamina."

"So? Can she compete? Would you include her?"

"Yeah, Ah'll do it. Ah'll be her trainer. We have a race this afternoon, Ah'll put her in; see what her deal is..."

~~<<0>>~~

"Now Rainbow Dash, this guys are extremely good," Sleazy said with his ever present smile, "but Ah recon ya could beat them. Ya should do fine and dandy. Ah'll be waiting outside. Say goodbye to your friends now, ya have twenty minutes to prepare. Here is your number, be sure to have it on. They'll call ya when is time."

"Okay."

He nodded to Rainbow, bowed to Twilight, and winked to Rarity. Rarity followed Sleazy with her death glare as he exited the place and waited a couple of seconds after he leaved.

"Okay, he's gone," Rarity said.

"Well, Rainbow, this is it," Twilight said, "Remember, we'll alternate between wins and losses over the course of the season. This race, being your debut, you'll place first, but by very little. Our objective is to make enough merits to get you to The Equestria Cup by fall—but as the least favorite, to maximize our wins with the bets and win the one million purse. "

"So even the races am supposed to win, I can't fly them at full speed, right?"

"Right, and you'll have to place where we tell you, otherwise we'll lose the bets. Rarity? How are we on founds?"

"We have the five thousand bits I managed to convince Filthy to part off; to grace himself with my—and of course, Princess Twilight favor. And twenty thousands of our own; not much, considering."

"We have to start at something. Okay Rainbow, good luck on the race; be sure to win at the end. We're betting all on you."

"Count on it."

"Rarity, you need to find Sleazy. He said he'll show you how to put our bets, but you'll have to persuade him, in order to enter the underground betting world."

Rarity covered her mouth as her body flinched back gagging. "Ugh, I find the sole thought of engaging in any kind interaction with him truly revolting."

"I'm sorry Rarity, but we need his contacts; Equestrian law heavily limits the amount of winning in these races. If we are to make it big, we need to enter the underground betting world."

Rarity added, "Not to mention, Twilight, you are too much of a public figure; no criminal would trust you, nor should you be seen in such activities."

"Exactly."

Rarity sighed resigned. "I'll talk to him."

"Come on Rarity, get a move," Rainbow said. "You don't have much time till the race starts."

"Good luck Rarity," Twilight said. "I'll go to the hotel room to check on Spike and start looking for a place in the city that would fit our peculiar needs, see you girls."

"See you Twilight," said Rainbow and Rarity.

Twilight spread her wings, lighted her horn and blinked out of the room.

"Well, I must also take my leave. Good luck, Rainbow Dash. Remember your acting."

Rarity watched as Rainbow nodded, strapped her goggles and taped her number on the side. Number four... such an unaesthetic number, Rarity thought, well, in Equestrian that is. Rarity leaved Rainbow to her devices thinking that maybe she could use a racing attire; something daring, maybe some flashing goggles with rubies in it, or golden shoes with silver wings. As she exited the door, the thought of her immediate future shredded her daring designs. She'd had to go and "persuade" Sleazy.

She looked for him on the track and found him near the racers parade, not so much as watching the competition, but hitting on the fancy dressed ladies that attended the event; mares, that were more interested in the athletic, spandex-wearing flyers than himself. Yet he didn't seemed to notice the disgusted look they gave him as he kept on trying.

Rarity took a deep breath and put on a big forced smile as she approached him. "Mister Eye, I was looking for you."

"No wonder why the sky is so grey today," he said. "All the infinite blue is in your eyes baby."

Rarity's right eye twitched trying to run to the back of her head. "I, why, thank you. I think... Mister Eye—"

"Call me Sleazy, or Love, whatever feels right."

"Sleazy. I was wondering if you'd be so kind to help me put up a little wager. I'd love to have a little fun while encouraging my friend."

"But of course, mah lady, right this way." They took a short walk and waited in line with the twenty or so ponies attending the betting booths. "Now, have ya bet on the ponies before?" he said.

"I'll have to say that this will be my first time," Rarity said appearing to look embarrassed.

"How lucky that your first will be with me. Don't worry, Ah'll be gentle," he said with his characteristic immature smile that made Rarity wish she could be as brash as Rainbow Dash in this situation. He took and passed her a pamphlet from the booth. "Here take this, It has information on the program and the bets."

Rarity opened the document in her magic aura an began reading all its information. "Trifecta? Exacta? There are so many complicated bets, I don't understand a thing."

"For a first timer, ya should only know three things: when ya pick a pony to finish first then your bet is a "win," to place first or second is called "place," and to end first, second or third place is called to "show," and that's all. The further away from the top the less it pays. Obviously, to bet on "win" pays more."

"Oh! You made that sound so easy." Rarity playfully touched his shoulder. "Well, I would like to put a little pocket money on my friend to "win" as it is."

"How much is it. Ah'll make the bet fer ya."

"Oh, just about twenty thousand bits."

"T-twenty thousand?"

"Is it too little? I knew it. Better twenty-five? Or thirty? I just don't know how this things work."

"Lady Rarity, the top you can earn is ten thousand, ya are betting too much bits."

"Really, how... disappointing. I was hoping for something more of a thrill. But if that all you can win; then I suppose six thousand would be alright." Sleazy helped Rarity made the bet to a very professional but still shocked on the inside booker then accompanied Rarity to the second row of public stands to watch the race unfold.

In the official race, Rainbow had learned her lesson and decided to always let the other racers take off first. It was a short five lap race, but Rarity screamed and shouted all through with excitement—albeit fake excitement; having witnessed Rainbow true speed, she knew there was no way for her to lose. It was like watching an adult play with kids—unfair really. The screaming and shouting were more to convince Sleazy of her new found enthusiasm for betting.

When Rainbow won again by a nose, Rarity exploded with delight cheering in victory. "I won! I won! She won! Wooo!" she said while jumping in place, then embraced a serious looking Sleazy on her side. "We won, Seazy! We won! How much did we made?"

As Sleazy came out of his funk, he said, "Ah... ya made the top—ten thousands." he focused his attention to the foreleg around his neck. "Ah see ya are the kind to lose yourself in the excitement, huh? Or Ah'm just that irresistible?"

"W-what?"—Rarity pulled her leg—"I'd never. That was just... an accident." She composed her disarrayed mane smiling while looking bashfully at her side; setting the mood for her next performance. "But I must admit, that was quite a bit of a rush... I just won four thousand bits." She turned her head down looking dejected as she sighed profusely. "Haa... if only..."

"If only what?"

"Nothing. I was just thinking how much better this could be if I could make more money..." She turned away, wishfully starring at the heavens as she said, "The anticipation, the exhilaration, the release. Oh! How I long for another experience like that... pity, that our fun should be limited by laws... I could really loosen myself." She looked back at him over her shoulder, making sure her bolts of bouncy purple hair framed the flutter of her sparkly blue eyes.

With a skeptic face, Sleazy rose an eyebrow and responded, "Ah may know of a way for the two of us to have a little more fun. What ya say? Come at my office after dark? Ah'll make it worth your time."

"Hmm! I'm no fool, Mister Eye," she said walking away. "You won't trick me with such a thing."

"Ah'm not lying. Ah ain't trying to trick ya. Come to my office later, and Ah will show ya how ya can really bet on the ponies. Honest."

"Really? Okay... I'll be there—but if you try something else." She threateningly stabbed him on the chest with the tip on her hoof.

"Don't worry—" he took her hoof "—Ah wouldn't even think to take advantage of such a delicate and beautiful flower."

He attempted to kiss her hoof but Rarity quickly retreated her foreleg from his crud touch. "Very well," she said, "I shall meet you at sunset."

"Honey, Ah'll be counting the seconds..."


Rarity went to congratulate Rainbow and cash-out their winnings, leaving Sleazy Eye and his immature smile behind. She and Rainbow returned to their hotel room near Canterlot plaza, to keep their cover of aiding Rarity with her new line of gala dresses. That was partially true actually. She had planned her line months ago, and Spike was left organizing the inventory for her new creations as they met with Filthy to set up the races for Rainbow. The hotel suit, although not as glamorous as any of the suits from Canterlot's castle, was very spacious and comfortable: it had a refrigerator, minor kitchen appliances, two bedrooms, an enormous bathroom—which Rarity was very grateful for—and a very well furnished living room. The red and gold design was a little clashing for Rarity's liking, but the eagerness to please by the staff, given the important of the new residents and their preference to stay in such place of all places, was more than compensatory.

They'd returned to their room for a while to rest and regroup before sunset. They discussed if it should be wise for Rarity to go alone given Sleazy peculiar character. Rarity argued she could take care of herself and Twilight shouldn't be seen for this, while it wasn't prudent for Rainbow to be present as she was a racer; however, Rainbow insisted she'd remain close in case anything were to turned sour. Rarity took an earth pony driven chariot outside the hotel, and went to Sleazy's lodge office while Rainbow kept an eye from the sky.

The sun was setting down, ponies returned home from their jobs while others awakened to Canterlot's night life. Rarity felt confident watching them from her chariot window in the fading light of the setting sun. Traveling through Canterlot always uplifted her spirit. The Capital City always gave her a sense of belonging; it wasn't that she didn't felt at home in Ponyville, but things worked different here. Here, all her talents where admired, envied and praised. Here, she was witty, glamorous, skillful, sophisticated. She could use her grace to get out of any situation and work her charms to get whatever she wanted. Ponyville was home, a warm family that not always understood her views. But Canterlot, Canterlot was her stage; there, beneath the spotlight, all eyes were on her, and she looked positively marvelous. Sleazy Eye was going to be her next work piece—it was only a matter of time. His crud character and simple, single oriented mind would be no match for her talents. I just need get a hold my stomach, she thought.

Storm Weather Racetrack was beginning to close when she arrived. Rarity heard a gust of wind above, looked up and caught Rainbow's tail following her from a cloud. It was unnecessary, but Rainbow's concern really warmed her heart. Much time had passed and Rainbow had changed much—her color alone was an indication of it, that and the scars... but she was still the same Rainbow Dash.

Rarity always thought of Rainbow as a mare out of time. She would imagine, was Rainbow born five hundred years ago, she would have been a world renown hero, a famous knight and defender of justice; fearless, untameable and adored. If the ponies of today idolized her for her talents, on the days of past she would be worshiped. She was a gallant knight: noble, faithful and loyal like no other. She would lie if she didn't admit, she adored the idea of being the recipient of some of that loyalty. She loved that she would still go that far for her. She loved being friends with her.

Her dramatic thoughts brought a tear to her eyes. Once you'd been drama queen for so long the act and the real life blend themselves together. She wiped her tear ready to face the villain there in that rat hole of an office that very well could be his den; there, laid the disgusting animal she needed to confront. It wouldn't be that different from when I tricked the Diamond Dogs, she thought. She knocked three times on the old entrance and awaited for him to open the door.

"Lady Rarity," he said. "Come on in." The voice tone he used different from anything Rarity had heard him use so far; dry and unamused, bordering on boredom. His ever-present smile gone.

"Thank you, sir," she said raising an eyebrow while entering. "You said you'll teach me to... 'really bet on the ponies.' "

He went all the way to his desk chair, put his hat on the table, sighed, then reclined back. "Miss, Rarity. Ya thought ya could play me so easily? Ah already know your intentions."

Rarity's eye twitched almost imperceptibly. "My intentions? Good sir, I'm afraid I don't follow..."

Sleazy took his time to cross and rest his hind-legs on the table. "You plan on cheating with your friend, Rainbow Dash; make her lose some races—stack the odds and bet on the underground race circuit then win. Make a fortune."

Rarity stood jaw open flabbergasted; eye visibly twitching now. She then shut her muzzle quickly—it was unbecoming of a lady. She gulped hard, and looked away as she said, "W-what? What gave you that silly idea."

"Please. Ah took my time and asked about you with Filthy. Ya are desperate for money; asking loans on him, banks and whatnot. Don't know what for, though."

"What? Asking for a loan? Is that a crime? That doesn't mean anything. Besides, it's impossible to predict a race. How would you expect we'll make Rainbow win when we want to, your being ridiculous."

"Sugar. See this cutie on my flank? The snakes eyes dices under the lens? It marks my gifted pink peepers ability to judge talent with just a glance; figure out my odds of winning or losing. And Ah never seen a pony like your friend Rainbow Dash. Her physique is perfect; muscles and wings born and developed impossibly for speed, elasticity, and stamina. Ah never seen anything like it; all qualities in one. The moment Ah set my eyes on her, Ah new she was unbeatable. Even with your magic bind. "

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Ya still deny it? Ah been in Canterlot for a while, ya think a have not seen magic deterrents or enhancements on ponies. At first Ah thought it was an enhancement, but when Ah examined her Ah realized it was the opposite. Ah believe she's so good she can't fake it. Usually the officials caught them before or after the race, but Ah recon only a keen eye would caught one done by Princess Twilight herself."

"Come on Mr. Eye. Princess Twilight? Cheating? All of this are just conjectures. You can't possibly be certain—"

"That's why Ah set her against mah best racers. Yet she still struggled or at least pretended to. Ah had mah doubts, but when Ah saw her start the race with that take off, and escape that kick with that cork move Ah knew Ah was right. Then, in the afternoon race, Ah put her against some losers way below my racers. And she still pretended to struggle."

"Mister Eye—"

"Shut it, Miss. Ah caught you; fair and square—" The sleazy smile slowly returned to his face "—And now Ah want mah reward."

This stallion was not what she thought he was. She took a few nervous steps back; ears flat on back dreading his next words. "Re-reward? What do you mean?"

"Don't play with me. One word, and ya and your little friends will be in big trouble. Sure, nopony would believe me, but ya won't be able to keep up the farce, and ya're desperate for money, don't ya?"

Rarity been had. They'd severely underestimated this stallion and now he had them on his hooves. This was the only plan they had come up so far, and it was already bursting at the seams. She had no choice. She dropped the act and asked, "Okay, Sleazy Eye. What do you want?"

He gleefully jumped out from his chair and lurked around as he looked her up and down. "Oh... Ah think you know what Ah want."

Her right hoof quickly moved to slap him.

Sleazy rose his own in time. "Ah caught ya again miss"—he smiled—"What now? Double the price?"

"Let me go you ruffian—"

Rarity struggled on his grasp and stumbled to the ground as he let go. She realized this stallion was now playing with her. She didn't like it, not one bit. She thought this would be an easy negotiation: she would put on, on her charm and wrap him around her hoof with her sweet worlds, but this client turned more demanding than she ever imagined. She felt the urge to scream and call up for Rainbow, yet the mere idea that she was covered gave her strength to keep on. As she slowly got up, the disgust on her eyes at his previous insinuation was evident. "I don't know how desperate you think we are, but I am not that kind of mare."

He sat in front of her inching his muzzle closer to her ear as she tried to keep her face away. "Oh please, I just want you to be a little generous and give me some sugar. Go out with me a few dates, spend a pleasant night, wouldn't ya?"

"YOU—" Rarity tried again, hitting the air this time as she missed by an inch when he pulled back.

"Easy there, honey. That rabid face will give ya wrinkles. Besides, is not like ya could do anything."

Rarity stumped the floor with her fore-hoof and stood up in a lowered stance while glaring at him. "Hmm! You seem to forgot that I'm friends with Princess Twilight. I'm sure she could find a fitting punishment for you if you don't collaborate."

"JA! Ah dare ya! Ah like my odds. And Ah got nothing to lose—unlike yourself."

"Your freedom for starters."

"Do it! Ah'm not scared. Have lots of friends inside the joint. It's not like Ah care... Face it, sugar; you have no choice."

"She could turn you ugly and deformed—make you into a toad or a filthy fuzzy rat. You'll be lucky if you end up as a lawn ornament."

"Would she? She'd really do it? An equestrian law-abiding-princess that spreads friendship? To a poor innocent stallion who just wanted to say the truth? Ah recon ever since you lost your, "Honesty," you bunch hadn't been the same."

"How dare you!"

"Ah called as Ah see it."

Rarity was fuming with anger. The stallion played dirty: taunting her, provoking her, using Applejack's memory to make her angry, to left her out of balance. Rarity forced herself to take a deep breath and calm down. Getting angry will only give the advantage to his adversary, lose her ground. She had to play by her strengths.

"Sleazy, darling, please... I'm sure we can find another way around this. I know that I'm gorgeous and ever so hard to resist. But a sensitive stallion like yourself couldn't be so fixed to a mare he just met? I'm sure your heart has beat for more—ah... peculiar mares?"

Sleazy stopped his moves and tapped his chin in thought. "Well, Ah do have a thing for Fleur Dis Lee. But—"

"That's it! I'm sure we can work something out. I personally know her. I could put on a good word for you and arrange a meeting—at the gala! What do you say? Wouldn't you like that?"

"Really! The gala! Ah never been to the gala. But Ah don't know..."

She was getting close; she almost have him. She just needed one last push. "What if I could sweeten the deal?"

"Hmm... Ah'm listening..."

"Twilight is personally a dear friend with Princess Cadance. We could made for her to work her love magic on you two, that way your love would be an almost certain matter. And I know that a charmer like you could be very persuasive—even without our help and Cadance spells. Fleur, like all the beautiful upper unicorn mares assisting, could easily fall for a handsome stallion with such enchanting eyes..."

"Hmm, the gala, lots of beautiful mares, Fleur, and Cadance. Oh, Cadance... ya don't know how many posters of her I had on mah room when I grow up. Ah just don't know if Ah can trust her again. She really broke my heart; betray me when she married that log. Say? Ya're all chummy, right? Couldn't you convince her instead?"

"She's married! You just said so!"

"Ah'm not jealous."

"Please, can't you be serious?"

"Oh, Ah can be serious. And as Ah see the odds it still be better to put it all on ya; your main quality being so generous. Ah'm not asking for much: a couple of dates; a kiss here and there. Ah'm sure to please ya as well." He walked to her side and whispered to her ear. "Y'know? Ever since Ah saw ya in the race this afternoon I can't get your screams out of my mind."

Curses, Rarity sat down closing her eyes and raising her chin. "Hmm! I rather be rolling in mud with an actual pig than have a date with you. If you won't budge in your demands then it would be best to part our ways. You're a fool if you really think I'll fall for any of that."

"Well, no, Ah didn't. Ah really was hoping you'd go fer it—but Ah knew ya wouldn't. For now, I'll go for your deal. But Ah also want in. No-pun intended."

Rarity rose an eyebrow. "You want in?"

"Yeah, Ah'll keep quiet under three conditions. First, you'll have to get me into the Grand Galloping Gala as ya said."

"Okay... we can manage that."

"Second, ya'll introduce me to Princess Cadance, and Fleur—but! As your dashing date."

"What!?"—Rarity jumped to a stand—"I'll do no such thing. My reputation will be ruined!"

"And mine would shot through the roof. Nothing better to entice a mare than have another's approval. Don't worry, Ah try to keep my hoof off ya. It would only be pretending."

"No, I—"

"The third is, Ah want to make and investment—me and a couple of bodies. ten thousand bits, not much by your standards, but Ah expect to make twenty times more by the end of the season. And as a bonus, Ah'll talk to Big Beanie and handle your money on the underground circuit too. That way ya don't get a single stain on your pretty white coat, and ya can keep your earnings; we can get dirty another time," he said wiggling his eyebrows.

"Ugh. Mister Eye. All of your demands can be accommodated presuming we can trust you. But to take you as my date, it is simply too much."

"Okay, but Ah also know of a faster legal-ish way to make more bits with your friend, for whatever you want them. If ya agree, I'll throw it in as a part of our deal."

"What? How?"

He pulled out of his desk a scroll with some strange letters that appeared Arabic and drawing of three pegasus flying on black and white. Rarity took the flyer in her aura as he said, "There is a private race in Saddle Arabia. A race that offers the champion the equivalent of ten million bits."

Rarity's eyes shot open. "Ten million! If we enter Rainbow Dash—"

"Not so fast, sugar. The race is a team race; invite only. Only the family members of the Twelve Arabian Tribes get the pass. And I happen to know how to find a member who might be willing to team up with ya..."

"Well, who is it?"

"Ah-ah-ah... trade secret. I tell ya after you fulfill your part of the bargain. So, what d'ya say? We have a deal?"

Rarity hated to admitted, but considering all that had transpired, this was not such a bad deal; if only she wasn't part of it. But sacrifices had to be made. "Alright... we have a deal."

"Seal it with a kiss?" he said. "My new special somepony?"

Sleazy was persistent, foolishly persistent; she had to give him that. Rarity put on her charming smile and haft lit eyes as she said, "I don't see why not? Close your eyes, darling. I'm a little shy..."

Sleazy closed his eyes, inched his face forward and puckered his lips.Smack! Another well timed buck, Applejack style, landed on his face.

"Ugh! Not again! My eyes! Why is always mah eyes!" he said rolling in the ground.

"I'll only pretend to be your special somepony during the gala—not one second more. I expect you to pick us, me and my five friends, at seven—with good chariots from Bentley's. I'll send your attire later. I'll not be seen with some under-dressed swine. And cut the messy ends of your tail; you look like a bum," Rarity said as she leaved the establishment.

Sleazy sat there covered in hay, rubbing his eyes and smiling. "Hahaha, won't ya stay a little longer, sugar? Ya have to take mah measures for that suit don't ya?"

Rarity turned over her shoulder. "Am afraid I already have a good measure of you; the kind of disgusting stallion you are. I wish never had. Good night." She then exited the room, opening the old door and slamming it close with her aura, causing it to fall.

"The name is Sleazy!" he shouted, "Pleasure doing business with ya!" Sleazy went back to his chair and reclined. As he crossed his legs on the table, he let a content sigh and said, "Best night ever. Happy birthday to me..."


Rarity couldn't not believe what'd just happened; what she'd promised. She got out the lodge worried, tired and disgusted. When she was out of sight, she couldn't keep her dignified facade and loosed all the strength of her knees. She began dragging her hooves along the way balancing side to side like a famished Canterlot model or an Appleloosa drunk. Needless to say, she preferred the former comparison; although, like herself, they both were sick from their stomach, in one way or the other.

She'd managed to walk a few yards when she noticed a following cloud. She put her hoof to her forehead; hinting exaggeratedly a fall to her side. She fell just in time to be caught by a whooshing Rainbow Dash before the ground could touch her.

"Rarity! Rarity! Are you okay?" Rainbow said carrying Rarity. "What did he do to you? Argh, I knew it! I'll go back and teach him a lesson!"

"No, Rainbow Dash, stay," said Rarity in Rainbow's embrace. "I'm okay. But not everything went as planned."

"What do you mean?"

"Please, just get me to the hotel. I don't think I got the strength to explain this twice. It would be better if I tell you and Twilight at the same time."


In the living room of their hotel room, under the cover of shadows, Rarity gave Rainbow and Twilight the news.

"What!? So that guy knows everything!" Rainbow said hovering over Rarity while thrusting her muzzle close to her face.

"Shh! Quiet Rainbow," Twilight whispered, "Spike is sleeping."

"No, he doesn't know it all," Rarity said. "Not quite everything at the least. He doesn't know why we want the money or any other plans. He only knows about the racing fraud."

"How could this happen. We were so careful," Twilight said.

"We simply underestimated him, Twilight. He could see through your spell and Rainbow's acting. Mine as well."

"If some random stallion could see through the spell it means I'll have to improve it. Ugh! I'll not risk it being found by Celestia or anypony else."

"That's nice and all, but what are we going to do about him. We can't just let him roam around like that. I should go now and ruff him off to make sure he doesn't go blabbering to anypony."

"No, Rainbow Dash," Twilight said, "We're neither tugs or criminals."

"Ehh, Twilight. We kind of are."

"Rainbow, darling, you may think yourself a tug, but I, am a lady. It took much, but I managed to convince him to keep quiet."

"In exchange for what, exactly?" Rainbow asked.

"Ehem... well... I may, have to take him to The Grand Galloping Gala."

"That's not so bad," Twilight said.

"—As my special somepony."

"That scum!" Rainbow said, "Rarity! What gives?"

"It's not like that! It's not me he wants, It would only be pretending."

"Riiiiight, pretending..."

"If it's not you he wants... then, who is it?"

"Fleur Dis Lee."

"Rarity! You sold her out!?"

"It's not like I had a choice, did I?"

"I don't understand," Twilight said. "If he wants a date with Fleur Dis Lee, why would he go to the Gala with you?"

"He wants to boost his reputation in order to..."—Rarity twirled her hoof in the air—"woo her."

"And you're just the stepping stone," Rainbow said.

"Unfortunately so."

"Rarity... I don't like any of this." Twilight said, "We should—I don't know, think of something else."

"No, Twilight, this is my part. We are in a race against time; just thinking in what our delay could mean for Applejack and I just—" Rarity's eyes started to water. She forcefully took a big breath and shut them close. She wiped the small tear drops forming with her fore-knee and continued, "Besides, he'll take our bits to the underground betting world just like we wanted. And he promised to put us in contact with somepony that could get us into a race in Saddle Arabia. A race that pays ten million bits to the winner."

"Oh, Yeah! Ten million bits for just one race! That's what we need Twilight! With me in it, those bits are as good as ours."

"I agree with Rainbow. That's why we need him on our side; a stain on my reputation is little to pay."

"Well... I could really use the bits to start with the preparations for the spell but this now and at the gala..."

"It's okay, darling. However, I'm not the only one with a mission."

"What! What now?"

"I also promised that Princess Cadance will help him with his crush."

"Cadance?" Twilight said. "And how we'll get Cadance to—you want me to talk to her, don't you?"

"Ugh! Doesn't he want us to spoon feed him too? I should really just beat that guy up."

"No, Rainbow Dash," Rarity said. "... Perhaps later—after all is done. Well, Twilight? What do you say? She is your sister in law..."

Twilight shook her head and sighed. "Oh brother... what a mess..."

~~<<0>>~~

"Miss Do, finally you've arrived, " said Twilight answering the door to Daring Do. "How did everything go? Any problems?"

"Nothing I couldn't handle. Here, Princess,"—she reached for the packet under her wing—"what you asked—"

Rainbow was passing by curios as to who knocked the door, and rushed to it when she saw her. "Whoa! Is that Daring Doo? Hey it's me Rainbow—Rainbow Dash, remember me?"

"Hohoho, Rainbow Dash. Haven't seen you in years, where have you been?"

"Ehh, you know around—But what about you? Any awesome adventures?"

"You know it. They are all in my new book."

"Ohh, hehe, yeah..." Rainbow rubbed the back of her head. "I haven't got the time to read it, but I promise I'll read it soon. So... what are you doing here?"

"Daring is helping me with a couple of things that needed to take care," Twilight said.

"Yeah, I only came to deliver those. I still got other things to do, see ya another time."

"Ohh, um, alright. See ya, we'll get together another time!" Rainbow said waving her hoof excitedly at Daring as she leaved.

Twilight watched humorously how what she considered to be one of the most courageous and coolest of ponies, acting like one of her own followers, for a pony that was very much a mirror of herself. "I see you're still her fan."

"Well of course, she's undeniably cool. But I didn't know you were such good friends with her. And what's up with that?" she said pointing ti the delivery.

"Oh, just a few things." Twilight said opening the package while taking out a quill and a check list to confirm the contents.

"Let me see." Rainbow rummaged through spreading out all what was inside. "Rings, books, papers, ugh... egghead-junk. Bummers... I expected something awesome."

"Careful with that." Twilight squarely rearranged the document in her raspberry aura. "That's my new secret identity."

"Secret identity? Let me see that again—" Rainbow flew and took the papers in her hooves"—Prff! Rarity, come here! Listen to this."

Rarity came out of the bed-room wearing her red work glasses and a measuring tape around her neck. "What is it?"

"Here, read Twilight's new name."

Rarity brought the papers to her face and read above her glasses. "Raven Starling...?"

"Prff! Raven Starling! Buahahahaha... " Rainbow laughed holding her stomach while kicking her legs up in the air.

"What?" Twilight said confused. "I thought that name sounded cool. I have such a traditional unicorn name, I wanted to try something different. My parents could as easily named me "Dawn Flicker" or "Moonlight Glitter," or even "Dusk Shine," if I'd been born a colt. So I thought of something more modern."

"Modern. Cool. Yeah! But Raven Starling! Buahahaja..."

"Don't listen to her, darling. I think it makes you sound mysterious; exotic."

"Well, I personally happen to like it. And, um... Rarity? I think I'll also need a disguise."

"Sweetie? A disguise?"

"Yes. Now that I have my new identity, I want to rent the warehouse near the cemetery here in Canterlot; I plan on meeting with the owner later, and inspect the site."

"A disguise, hmm..." Rarity rubbed her chin and puckered her lips. "Oh! Idea! I'll make you something mysterious like the name. Very gothic chic—to go with a pony who likes a proximity with grim places." Rarity began inspecting Twilight and feeling her mane with her hooves. "I would also like to dye your mane—don't worry, I'll change it back in time for the gala. Hmm... red, white or black. Jajaja... what am I thinking, black of course—"

"Um, could I be a blond?" Twilight shyly said, "I always kinda wondered how would I look as a blond..."

Rarity fluttered her eyes, a bit taken back with the comment. "Of course, darling. There's no reason we couldn't have a little fun with this."

"Yeah! And spiked collar and bracelets! That'd be cool."

"Hmm... Great idea, Rainbow Dash. I'll include them in the outfit. Now, lets get to work!"


"Ugh... um, Rarity? Isn't this too tight? I can barely breath in it."

"Well, that's how the corset is supposed to look, and we had to hide your wings in there too."

"I think a got a better appreciation of a model's job. Couldn't we just drop a cape?"

"Yeah, and where are the spikes?"

"Well, I may be unconventionally resourceful, but I'm no Discord. I just can't erase wings and produce metal spikes like magic. I used serial small belts in turn for the bracelets. I think she looks the part, don't you agree?"

Rainbow checked Twilight up and down as she said, "Well... she definitely doesn't look like Twilight."

Really, she didn't look like Twilight at all. Though Twilight always had an air of harmony, humility, of harmless resolution, Raven Starling did not. For starters, her posture looked conceited and vain. It was the result of the black velvet corsage pressuring on back, and the center pear black laced tight choker, but she looked like trying to impose her views to the world. The blond fetlock and long braided mane and tail gave her the appearance of a rich spoiled brad belittling everypony else but herself. The heavy eyeliner, the complementing belts on her hind legs ankles, and the black laced gloves, decorated with spiked vines and black roses from her fetlock to her elbow, combined with how uncomfortable she felt being tied up like that, made her look extremely aggressive and permanently displeased. Twilight was only grateful for her black and ample skirt, for it was the only item that wasn't trying to cut her circulation or strangle her to death.

"Sorry, darling, that I couldn't do something more elaborate, but you caught me by surprise and I don't have all my materials. I even had to dye black the choke-hold; some spots still shine in white and need working."

"Don't worry about it," Twilight said, "the hole outfit turned out great. I better leave before Spike return from getting our lunch. I don't know how we could explain this to him. He's getting very suspicious of what we are doing."

"Come on, Twilight. This is Spike we are talking about, we can trust him. Haven't you told him anything?"

"No, I haven't. He's been very patient and ignore lots of my strange behaviors, but... I don't think I can keep him in the dark for long."

"Do you plan on telling him?" Rarity asked.

"I don't know. I'm afraid that if I tell him anything he'll tell Celestia or try to dissuade me somehow. This could really come between us."

"Y'know, Twilight, I'm with you all the way, but you can't keep him around like this if you don't plan on telling him. He's not stupid. He'll figure we're hiding something."

"That's why I'm planning on sending him off to the Cristal Empire to Cadance and my brother."

"What!? Send Spikey-wikey away? Twilight, you can't be serious?"

"Rarity's right, you can't do that."

"I don't know, I don't want to think about this now. When he returns tell him I got some royal matter to attempt. See you later." Twilight ignited her horn and blinked out, leaving the room in disconcerting silence.

"..."

"What do you make of this Rarity?" Rainbow asked.

"Twilight and Spike have always been together," She said. "Thinking about it, I'm not sure she can even function correctly without him around. But no matter how mature he is, Spike is still a little kid, we shouldn't include him in this matter. He's always helping us in our adventures, but truth be told, he should just spend his time with other kids his age. I wouldn't want Sweetie Bell in this kind of peril and I wouldn't want this for him either."

"Yeah, I get that. But send him away?"

"But, what else could we do? We can't keep making excuses or sending him on strange errands..."

"Darn it... first Pinkie and Fluttershy, now Spike too."

"We must face it, Rainbow Dash. We are alone..."

~~<<0>>~~

The days of the week quickly went by in the hotel. Rainbow participated in races on her spare time, races booked by Sleazy which who they'd already made an arrangement. He'll manage their bits while Spike and Twilight helped Rarity with the promotion of her Gala line around Canterlot. Given Rainbow's speed, she was able to sneak out to the races and return in very shorts amounts of time, which she covered as her napping and how she preferred clouds over feather-beds.

The deal with Sleazy turned out to be beneficial, as they were able to dedicate most of their time helping Rarity, enjoying Canterlot and doing normal activities that kept Spike oblivious to all their secrets; instead of going to strange buildings, and moving big amounts of bits without a clear explanation. It all went easy and peaceful until the morning of the gala came.

Unknown to her friends, Twilight woke up at three-thirty in the morning, furiously reviewing the notes and documents Daring delivered and drawing elaborated sketches. When the clock marked four-thirty she moved to where Rarity was resting.

Like always, the seamstress diva slept soundly on a perfectly made bed. A pale gold sleep mask, bordered in pink laces, with a couple of fabric designed butterflies on both of her eyes, rested snugly on her face. The purple nightgown-yukata adorned with white flowers she wore, allowed her to retain the comfort of her home in the hotel while remaining presentable for any interruptions in the busy city night's. In the mist of her dreams, Rarity heard a voice call as something shook her from the shoulder. "Rarity.... Rarity... wake up."

Rarity shifted up her mask enabling her to see. "Twilight? Darling, what time is it? It's still too early, I need my sleep for the Gala," she said.

"Rarity," Twilight said, "we need to do something extremely important, please wake up. And wake up Rainbow too. I'll meet you two on the living room. Be careful not to wake Spike."

"Now?"

"Yes."

"Alright. Give us a minute. We'll be there."

Rarity woke up Rainbow not without her uttering her own share of complains. They walked carefully around the hotel room trying to keep quiet not to wake up Spike. Thankfully, the hotel suite was big enough, so the small amounts of noise wouldn't bother Spike. Twilight mentioned before she'd reserved it so, so it could also accommodate Pinkie pie and Fluttershy when they'd arrived in the afternoon.

After Rainbow wake up call, Rarity went to the kitchen and prepared a coffee; if they were all to began so early their day, they'll need a proper boost. Occasionally, she'd remembered to pack her favorite coffee brand—she would not dare to drink the stuff the hotels served. She carried the steaming cup on her aura and sipped it from time to time enjoying the pleasant scent as she and Rainbow Dash entered the living room. There, they saw Twilight levitating some papers over her face while scribbling with a pencil on a map on the table with her muzzle, and reviewing several notes and strange objects around her.

"What the hay, Twilight? Why you woke us out this early?"

Twilight noticed their arrival and quickly organized the mess around her. "Good morning girls," she said. "I'm sorry to do this, not only for waking you up, but for what I am about to tell you. You already know about Alhazred's grimoire; the dark tome I need where lies the necromancer spells for Applejack, don't you?"

"The forbidden spell book in Celestia's possession, am I correct?" Rarity said, closed her eyes and sipped her coffee awaiting her response.

Twilight nodded and said, "Tonight... at the gala. We're stealing it."

Rarity spat all her coffee.