• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 9,740 Views, 513 Comments

Another Chance - Small Muffin



After being hit by the Elements Of Harmony, Sunset Shimmer is sent back in time the next day to a week before she went through the portal, and hopes to right some wrongs she has caused among CHS.

  • ...
21
 513
 9,740

Handing over the crown

Sunset awoke from her sleep to the sound of rustling paper. As she opened her eyes, and took a look around her, she saw Twilight was already up, and was cleaning all the scrumpled up pieces of papers from the floor. "Morning. Sleep well?" Twilight asked with a smile.

"It was alright, sleeping on the floor isn't as bad as it seems." she pushed the large towel she had used as a blanket off of her. Like Twilight, she hadn't bothered to change out of her clothes. "You?" she asked.

"Yeah, I slept fine." Twilight began, "Oh, I hope you don't mind, but I decided to clean up a bit." she said as she pick up a piece of paper.

"Thanks I guess." she looked around the rest of her room, her bed was made, her desk clear, and all the clutter from under her bed had been neatly organized. "Good job, I've never seen this place so clean." she joked. "Did you... read any of them?" she asked, a tad worried.

"I read a couple of them, but I stopped when I realized they were all the same, and what they were about." she replied, "So what's the plan?" she asked, wanting to change the subject.

"The plan?" she repeated, "Get to school, talk to someone, and go from there." she answered as she looked over to her alarm clock on her desk. "We're late getting up, stupid thing." she grabbed her bag from under her desk, and was about to pick up her phone, when it went off with a text.

"What's that?" Twilight asked, as Sunset read the message.

Your locker. First thing.
LD.

"It's a phone, it allows people to send each other messages, or talk to them." Sunset said.

"People?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, right, I can't believe I haven't told you this yet." Sunset began, "You don't want to call everyone here everypony, you'll get some very weird looks if you do." she said with a slight bit of embarrassment from those times. "Instead it's somebody or, everybody, and instead of pony, it's person or people. You might want to remember that when talking to people.

Twilight nodded, as she turned her attention back the device in Sunset's hand. "So that thing there, it's kinda like Spike, or that book of yours." she said to herself.

That dog of yours? Or... whatever he is back home. "Who?" she asked.

"He's a dragon I hatched when I joined Celestia's school. He can send and receive things from her with his breath." she explained.

"A dragon, huh? I hatched a phoenix when I joined." she put the phone in her pocket, and walked over to the door to unlock it. "I wonder where she is right now?"

"So, who was the message from?" Twilight asked as the door opened.

"A girl named Lightning Dust." she replied, "Vice captain of about half of the schools sports teams." she said as she walked out, and Twilight followed behind her.

Lightning Dust? Where do I know her from? "Well, I guess that's good then," Twilight began, "if you can get her to see that you've changed, then she can-"

"That won't work." Sunset interrupted.

"Why not?"

"Well, I'm basically the top dog of Canterlot High, I always had a kind of... control over everyone there." she took a quick, nervous glance at Twilight for a moment.

"Yeah, so?"

"Well, there are a couple people who never really, stood for it. There were only a couple, but they proved, problematic." she continued.

"And she's one of them?" Twilight asked.

Sunset nodded, "Yeah, she was the hardest. I swear she has a vendetta against me or something."

"We'll just, talk to her, find out what she wants, and get on with your more important stuff." Twilight said. The way she said it made the whole thing sound so casual, but Sunset knew this wouldn't be that simple.


When the two of them got to school and walked through the main doors, amoung the moving crowd, Pinkie was there to meet Sunset. "Hi you two, you alright?" she asked as Sunset and Twilight walked over to her.

"We're fine." Twilight said.

"I'm afraid I can't talk this morning Pinkie, I've got a meeting with-" Sunset said.

"Lightning Dust?" Pinkie asked. Sunset turned to her, about to ask her how she knew. "She's been running her mouth all morning about meeting you."

"Really?" Twilight asked.

"So she wants everyone to know about this?" Sunset asked, "Why?"

"Seems like it, between you and me, she's making Trixie look modest." Pinkie said as the three of them started to move with the crowd.

As the crowd moved however, Sunset noticed something off with those around her. The students in the crowd were watching her closely, not in a 'I hope she isn't looking at me.' way, but a different way that they never had before.

Eventually, they reached their destination, Sunset's locker. There was a large group of people there, with a space in the middle, where Lightning Dust stood. Sunset and Twilight pushed themselves through the crowd, only to stop just before reaching the front. Sunset put her hand on Twilight, making her stop. "Stay here, this could get ugly." she said.

"Stay here? How am I suppose to help you from here?" Twilight asked.

"Just stay here. I'll be fine." she smiled as she pulled her hand away and continued to the centre.

Almost immediately, Dust noticed her. "Well will you look at that," she began mockingly, "our great queen graces us with her presence. I'll admit, I wasn't sure if you'd show up."

Sunset just shook her head. "What do you want Dust?" she asked sternly.

"Really? I mock you and that's all you have to say?" she replied.

"What do you want Dust?" Sunset repeated.

"You ok, you seem awfully different you know?" she asked uncaringly

"This was a waste of time." Sunset said as she turned around.

Lightning smiled devilishly, "I guess they are true then aren't they?" she said.

Sunset stopped, and turned her head slightly, "What are?"

"You don't know?" she laughed, "You're the talk of the school Shimmer." Sunset turned around to face her, raising an eyebrow at Dust, "You really didn't know? Seriously?" she laughed again.

"What's being said about me?" she asked

"Well, apparently, you're getting soft Sunset." Lightning said.

"Soft?"

"I know, unbelievable right?" she burst out laughing, "I mean who in their right mind would believe you're getting soft." Sunset didn't budge, keeping her eyes fixed on the girl in front of her, as she suddenly calmed down, like all the laughter was an act. "They're not true, are they?" she asked.

Sunset looked around at the large crowd. All eyes were on her, everyone was waiting for her reply. There were people from each of the different groups in school, making this the perfect opportunity. She took a deep breath, and gave her answer.

"Yes. They're true."

As the whole crowd began talking amongst themselves, Dust's mocking smile fell. "What?"

"They're true, I'm 'getting soft', as you put it."

Dust couldn't believe what she was hearing, "Th-this is a trick right?"

"Nope, it's the truth." she replied calmly.

"Wha... Why?" she asked, rather annoyed.

"Because I... Am done with this." she said weakly.

"What the heck does that mean?"

"It means I'm done being who I was, cus I'm sick of it." out of the corner of her eye, she could see Twilight smiling at her.

"You've got to be kidding me." Dust said, unamused.

"I'm sick of hurting everyone around me, and I'm sorry to everyone I've hurt."

"Alright, if that's true, then prove it!" Dust said.

"Sure, what do you want me to do?"

Dust smiled, "You're 'position' as the 'queen' of CHS." she stated, expecting that would get some kind of real reaction from her.

"Alright. It's yours." she said. Dust's annoyance was slowly starting to turn to anger, "Also, have this as well," She took off her black jacket, and threw it over to Lightning, who caught it. "if anyone doubts you, just tell em I gave you that as a sign or, something."

"You're just... handing it over like that?" Dust began angrily, "I was finally gonna beat you for this, and then you just hand it over?!" Dust asked with a yell as she threw the jacket on the ground.

Sunset turned around and began to walk away, as the group started to move to give her space. "SUNSET BEHIND YOU!!!" Twilight shouted.

Sunset's vision went blurry as she was suddenly thrown into one of the nearby lockers, hitting the back of her head on one. As she opened her eyes, one of Lightning's fists hit her right in her left eye, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!" Dust yelled, Sunset put her hand over her eye, but made no attempt to answer her, or retaliate. "ARE YOU REALLY JUST GOING TO STAND THERE?!" she slammed her fist into Sunset's stomach. The blow brought her to her knees, and both of her hands moved to clutch her stomach.

Twilight ran forward, but felt someone grab her arm, she looked around to see Rainbow had a hold of her. "We've got to stop this!" She said in desperation.

Rainbow just shook her head, "Don't even think about it."

"THIS IS WHAT WE WERE ALL AFRAID OF?!?!" she kicked Sunset's stomach. Although her hands absorbed some of the blow, it was clear it still hurt her. "THIS? YOU'RE ACTING LIKE THIS IS SOME KIND OF A JOKE SHIMMER!"

"Are... you... done... yet?" Sunset asked weakly as she slowly stood back up.

"DONE? WHAT DO YOU MEAN DONE?!?!" she demanded, "YOU REALLY ARE JUST GONNA STAND THERE AREN'T YOU?! YOU'RE JUST GONNA STAND THERE AND LET ME DO THIS!?!?" she said as she slammed her fist into her eye again.

Sunset's head once again colided with the locker, "That's the... basic idea." she replied, "I told you... I'm done. I'm not gonna fight you back."

Dust just shook her head, "You're laughable, you know that?" she asked. "You're just a great big joke now."

"So are you done now?"

"Sure, I'm done, I got what I came for. It's no fun if you aren't fighting back anyway. Just know that no one here will ever take you seriously again after this." she stated as she turned around, and began to walk off.

"I know," she stopped dead in her tracks, "that's the point." Sunset said.

"To think I used to look up to you." Dust replied, "The way you would walk around here like you owned it, the way you made everyone do whatever you wanted them to, it was amazing." she walked over to the jacket on the floor, picked it up, and put it on. "Now look at you. What happened to you?"

"You used to look up to me?" Sunset asked. Dust turned her head slightly, signalling Sunset had her attention. "Then I feel so sorry for you." she said in a calm voice.

"Whatever." Dust said as she walked away, the crowd quickly moving out of the way of the schools new top dog.

Sunset slowly walked over to where Twilight was. The crowd also moved out of her way as well. "Are you alright?" Twilight asked.

"That was too far, you weren't even fighting back. She's gonna pay for this." Rainbow said.

"Don't bother Dash." Sunset said, still clutching her stomach, as she walked past the two of them.

"Don't bother? Are you kidding me?!" Sunset ignored her, and kept walking.

"Sunny, are you-" Pinkie began.

"Pinkie, have you got a free period now?" Sunset interrupted.

"Huh? Well I've been given some free time to set up the Fall Formal decorations, so I'm free all day. Why?"

"All day? Good, can you take care of Twilight today. I can imagine someone else coming at me, and I don't want her involved." she explained.

"Well, alright, but what about you?" she asked, still worried.

"I'll be fine Pinkie, I promise." she looked over to Twilight, who was just as worried as Pinkie. "Stay with Pinkie today alright." she immediately started walking off, before Twilight could reply, as everyone nearby kept their distance.

"What abou-" Rainbow grabbed her again.

"She'll be fine." Rainbow said, "She's a tough one."

"Do you really think she'll be okay?" Rainbow didn't reply. She looked over at Sunset, just as she turned the corner, and walked out of view. I hope you know what you're doing Sunset.

Author's Note:

Preread by Lord Nopony.

Any and all criticism and comments are appreciated.