• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 9,740 Views, 513 Comments

Another Chance - Small Muffin



After being hit by the Elements Of Harmony, Sunset Shimmer is sent back in time the next day to a week before she went through the portal, and hopes to right some wrongs she has caused among CHS.

  • ...
21
 513
 9,740

Don't be scared

The weekend had ended, it was Monday morning, and Sunset was about to throw her dart at the wall once again. She stil had no reply from Celestia, and at this point, she didn't expect one anymore.

She looked over all the names on the wall. She didn't get anywhere with Applejack yesterday, the only way she would would be to talk to Rainbow Dash first, and after some thinking, she came to the conclusion that that was easier said than done.

She eventually came to a choice, and dropped the dart on the floor. "I know who's next." she went over to her desk, and opened her magic book to the message she had writen days ago, and the blank page next to it. "You didn't get it, did you?" she wiped a tear from her eye, put the book in her bag, and made her way to school.


Sunset walked into school, not knowing where to go. She knew what she wanted to do, but for now, it would have to wait. She walked upto the Fall Formal candidate sign-up board, and noticed that Trixie wasn't the only one running anymore, she was now up against Lyra and Octavia.

"I guess word's getting around. Sorry Trixie, but it looks like you've got some competition now." she laughed in her head, "I wonder what would happen if I put my name down now?" she quickly shook the idea out of her head. She thought it was good that other people were starting to run, even if it was only two other people, it was still a small sign of progress to her.

"Higha!" Sunset shook her head again, before realizing the hyperactive one next to her. "Hellloo? Anyone there?" she laughed, when she then noticed she finally had Sunsets attention. "You ok? You seemed like you were under mind-control or something, staring at that thing."

"Yeah, I'm just... surprised others are actually running now. What'd you want?" she asked.

"Oh nothing myself, but Trixie does wanna see us at homeroom, so there's that."

"You should probably go without me. I'm not so sure she would want to talk to me." Sunset told her.

"Well actually she does. She wanted me and the others to tell you specificly if we saw you."

"Really?"

"Uh, yeah. What's so strange about that? You said you wanted to help."

"Well yeah, I just..." Never thought she'd want to speak to me after what I told her. "I just never thought she'd actually want it."

"Well she does, so come on!" Pinkie grabbed her hand and ran, pulling Sunset with her, towards room C3. "Aj still hasn't paid me that tener you know. Hey did I ever tell you about that time she..."

Pinkie then proceeded to ramble on and on about something to do with with tying Applejacks hat to a balloon, and Sunset couldn't help but smile at the whole thing, even if she did get lost about a fith of the way through. She just felt happy having someone next to her who wasn't terrified of her.

"Pinkie... I can tell you anything. Right?" Sunset asked nervously.

"...and then she was all like... Of course you can, we're best buds now!" Pinkie replied as they both came to a halt outside the room they were running to.

"We're, best friends?" she asked, quite surprised.

"Well, maybe not best friends. I mean, how can you really say one friend is better that another?" she shrugged it off, "But you can tell me. What is it?" she asked in her same cheerful tone she did everything in.

"Well..." Tell her, you've gotta tell her! "It's..." Tell her about Fluttershy damn it! She couldn't bring herself to say it. For the first time in her life she had a friend, and she didn't want to lose her, even though she knew it was wrong to do so. "It's nothing. Like I said, I've never had a friend before, so I don't really know how this works."

"Well, friends trust each other, and help each other out when they need it. After all, if you can't rely on your friends, who can you rely on?" she asked.

Damn it, damn it DAMN IT! You idiot! You stupid coward! Now is not the time to be selfish! "Thanks Pinkie, I just wanted to know." she replied as she mentally kicked herself for this.

"How long are you two going to stand out there?" they both looked inside the room they had been outside for a while to see Trixie sitting on a desk, with a bit of a smirk on her face.

"Oops, sorry. We got caught up in something." Pinkie said as she walked in and took her seat.

Sunset noticed they were the only three in there, "Where's everyone else?"

"They were here about ten minutes ago, Trixie's already sent them on their way." she began, "Now, Pinkie. Is the gym set up for tomorrow?"

"Almost. We can't get the stage in yet because of PE classes today, but all the other decoration are up and ready."

"Good, that's all. You can go now." as Pinkie left the room, Trixie's gaze moved to Sunset. "Sunset, Tri- I just wanna say thanks. Because of what you said to me, I've become confident enough to try this, and now I've already put everything together, so I guess Trixie kinda owes you one."

"You're welcome, I'm just glad I could help." Sunset replied as she turned back towards the doorway.

"Is there anything Trixie could help with now?" she asked, with a smile it looked like she was trying to hide.

Sunset thought for a moment, it was a bit of a long shot, bit she may as well ask anyway. "Do you know where Fluttershy is first thing?"

"The really shy girl?" Sunset nodded, "The one who, loves animals right?" she nodded again, "The one who you turned into the schools very own punch...ing... bag?" Trixie saw a look of deep resentment in Sunset's eyes. "Sorry... Is this about... you leaving?" she nodded once again. "No, Trixie doesn't, but Pinkie might. Why don't you ask her."

"She might?" I thought I broke those two up?

"Well, rumour has it she knows everybodys time table, kinda creepy really, but if she does, she can help you."

That, actually doesn't surprise me. Just then the school bell went off, "Thanks Trixie. See you later." Sunset replied as she walked out, towards her first lesson of the day.


Break time came around, and Sunset headed straight over to Pinkies locker. It wasn't hard to spot, the small balloons tied to the locker dial meant everyone knew it was hers.

By the time she got there, she saw both Pinkie and Applejack, the latter of whom walked off. At least I won't have to deal with her, that didn't go anywhere yesterday. When Applejack was out of sight, Sunset approached Pinkie, who had just closed her locker door. "Hey Pinkie, you ok?"

"Hi Sunny. Look what I got." she waved a ten dollar note in her hand, "She paid me!" she said excitedly.

"That's great, but can I- Wait, what did you call me?" she asked.

"Sunny. You know, Short for Sunset, or how about Shimmy? Which do you prefer, Sunny or Shimmy?" She asked, as she put the tener in her pocket.

"Well, I kinda like-" she shook her head, Stay focused here. "Call me whichever you like. Now can I ask you something?"

"Course. What's up?"

"Trixie said that apparently you know everybodys timetable, is that true?"

"Yep." she opened her locker and pulled out a big book. "In here! Everyones daily schedule for each day." for the first time, her face gained a bit of seriousness to it, "What do you need it for?"

"I... I need to talk to someone, as soon as I can. So I need to know where I can find her." Sunset replied.

Pinkie opened the book up, "Ok, who is it?"

"It's, Fluttershy." Pinkie was silent for a moment, "Um, Pinkie?"

"What do you want with her?" she asked, trying to hide what little anger was in her voice.

"I just need to talk to her, so where is she next?"

Pinkie seemed a bit reluctant at first, but she eventually started flicking through the pages of her book. She stopped and pointed to the first column of lessons on the page. "She has a free period next, so try the library or one of the free classrooms." she told her.

"Thanks." Tell her to come with you! Tell her! TELL HER! "See you round Pinkie." she said as she walked off. Why can't I tell her? "Come with me." Why is that so hard to say?


When Break had ended, Sunset walked through the school checking all the classrooms, with the hope she would find Fluttershy in one of them. So far she had had no such luck. "Maybe she just isn't in today, I didn't see her at break." as she continued through the school, she eventually found her, sat down in a classroom, giving a little bunny rabbit a carrot.

Sunset just stood there and watched for a minute. I'll admit, that little guy does look cute. When he was done with the carrot, Fluttershy rested her head down on the table. Here goes. Sunset walked in, and approached her.

The bunny noticed her walk in, and proceeded to poke Shy over and over again to get her attention. "No Angel, you're not having another one till lunch time." he didn't stop, "No, you'll ruin your appetite." he turned around to see Sunset right behind him, and just kept poking her desperately. "I said noAAA!" Fluttershy jumped out of her seat and was now cowering on the floor. "S-s-Sunset! I-I didn't see you th-there. Sorry."

"Sorry i scared you like that." Sunset sighed, "You ok?"

"I'm f-fine. Sorry, did you wanna use this room? I'll... I'll just be on my way then." She said quickly as she got to her feet and picked up Angel.

"Can I talk to you?" she asked as she sat down next to where Shy was sat.

"Oh you don't wanna waste your time with me. I'm not worth it." she replied, trembling with fear.

"Please? It's important." Sunset said. She wasn't getting anywhere, and she knew it.

"Well... If it's important... You probably want someone else... I'd just muck it up." she said, still trembling.

There was one way she could get her to Listen, SIT DOWN NOW!! It would work, but it was the last thing she wanted to do. "No, I need to talk to you." she said, trying to sound as less intimidating as she could.

"Oh I'm sure there's someone else who could help."

There was one more thing she could try. She got up, and walked towards Fluttershy, who slowly backed off. "I'm sorry." she said as she grabbed Fluttershy and hugged her as hard as she could, as Angel jumped onto the nearby desk.

Shy didn't know what to think, "Um... Sun-"

"I'm so sorry, sorry for everything I've ever done to you. You didn't deserve any of it." she whispered as softly as she could. "But you don't need to worry about me now, I promise I'll never hurt you again."

Fluttershy felt Sunset shaking, and heard her crying over her shoulder "Um, are you, ok?"

"I don't matter! Just know that you don't need to be scared anymore. Hate me all you want, cus I deserve it, just don't be scared anymore. I'm leaving in a few days, maybe even tomorrow. So I'll never be able hurt you ever again."

Fluttershy looked over at Angel, who was just as confused, "It's ok, I forg-"

"How can you say that?" Sunset asked as she let her go and stepped back, her face drenched in her tears, "It's not ok and you know it!" Fluttershy didn't say anything, "I've done nothing but hurt you for three years, how can you just say it's ok when you know it's not?"

"Well, I, um..." she knew Sunset was right, but what could she say.

"There's two more things. One, if I'm still here tomorrow, and you have any problems, any at all, tell me, and I'll help. Ok?" Fluttershy gave a quick nod, and Sunset walked back and sat back down. "Two, talk to Pinkie Pie, she would be a great friend for you." Even now, she couldn't bring herself to admit to her past actions.

Fluttershy opened her bag, and let Angel jump in. "Um, Sunset?"

"You can go now... Just go, leave me alone." Fluttershy made her way to the door, she had never seen Sunset like this before, and thought she thought it would be best to do as she said, and go. When she reached the door, she took one final look at Sunset, weeping on the desk. "Don't be afraid of me... Please." she muttered, as Shy walked out, leaving Sunset all alone.


Tuesday morning. Sunset stood outside the school, as she waited for everyone to enter the building, and for her to be alone. After a good ten minutes, that eventually happened, and she walked up to the stone-statue-portal.

"Here goes." she whispered as she closed her eyes, and put an arm forward towards the portal. When she felt something strange on her hand, she opened her eyes to see that her 'hand' was now a hoof through the transparent portal, telling her all she needed to know.

"It's... It's open?" A smile grew on her, "It's open! IT'S OPEN!!!" She put her other hand through as she pushed both her arms in.

You can't go yet. Sunset came to a halt as Twilights voice rang through her head, There's still one more thing you need to do, and you know it.

Sunset remained still, at this point, not moving, and possibly not even breathing for the moment. Eventually she pulled her arms out, and looked back at the school, "You're right, I can't go yet." The faces of Pinkie, Applejack, Rainbow, Rarity and Fluttershy came to mind.

Even if it kills me, I'm gonna sort this mess out. Today!

Author's Note:

Preread by Lord Nopony.

Any and all criticism is appreciated.