• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,904 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,904

Chapter 6 Lonely Roads

Chapter Six

Lonely Roads.

Aches and pains finally driven enough nails along my body crying for my attention. Even though it was painful I was expecting this but to a lesser degree. I wonder if Sapphire has another healing potion lying around? Wait, that's like leaving medicine around the house. Actually with the way she leaves her art stuff around it wouldn't be that surprising. I tried to sit up but a heavy weight on my chest and shoulder making my arm full of pins and needles held me down. I opened my eyes to look at what could be weighing me down. Fear began to rise within me an image of a Beast that had survived and came back for vengeance. I ripped my eyes opened to face my captor: it was Trixie. Trixie had fallen asleep in the crook of my arm snoring softly.

“When did she get there!?” I thought rapidly while temperature rose sharply in my face and ears. I looked around the room making sure a Beast wasn't around. My eyes settled on the window and the world outside was brightening but the sun hadn't even begun to paint the sky in its light colors. I was stuck. If I move I'll be running the risk of waking Trixie up but the pins and needles were getting even more insistent. I hope that Sapphire isn't an early riser to see this, geh, that would be awkward as hell! The weight pinning my chest was one of Trixie's fore hooves draped across my chest as if hugging a stuffed animal.

I began to slide inch-by-inch away but Trixie only tightened her grip mumbling something quickly. I didn't quite make out what she was mumbling but it wasn't directed at me, at least I don't think it is. Her tone on the other hand and the way her body kept twitching against mine suggested a nightmare. Perhaps dreaming of Courage's Folly? Almost reflexively I began to rub her back till she woke up.

“W-what?” Trixie burbled confused and irritated that I woke her up.

“Just a nightmare, go back to sleep.” Was what I said. Good job, Brain! Really coherent right there! Well at least I have an idea why she is snuggling me, so I guess it's OK?

This is great. My arm calmed down but I can't go back to sleep after that anxiety attack! I really hope that this isn't normal to them, I have a hard enough time handling hugs. I never was much of a “touchy” person, I just don't let people get that close to me. At best I have people I see throughout the day but that's it really, friends are things I never had the luxury to experience. This is probably a disadvantage of mine but because of that I reserve such affections for people I truly cared about. But Trixie? No, she can't possibly see it that way. Could she?

Bong! In the distance a bell tolled. Bong! One more noise to drive sleep away. Bong! Trixie whimpered something I didn't catch. Bong! The house held its breathe counting along with me. Bong! I found myself rocking Trixie in hopes to calm her. Bong! Seven! No, wait. Six? I got distracted and lost track of how many time the bell tolled but Trixie began to squirm and cry out. A pale yellow light caught my eye. My sword, propped in a corner, stared at us with its topaz cats eye glowing with an inner light. The glow covered the room in its soft, warm glow taking away Trixie's nightmares and my embarrassment.

“She's just seeking comfort from a nightmare.” I thought reasonably with acute clarity. “My cat liked to sleep right there.” As an after thought as my mind began to fuzz over with the fading light but I didn't think too much about it.

Boom! I jumped hard, as the thunder was loud enough to rattle the windows. I turned my head away from the window and a searing pain crawled across my forehead. I snapped my head back to see what caused the pain: Trixie. But wait, she's asleep how could she hav- oh, the tip of her horn. Man I could've gouged my eye out! “Probably just a scratch.” I chided myself for being so careless. I maneuvered my head so that it was resting under her horn but in doing so I was practically sleeping forehead to forehead causing me to blush. Whatever. . .

Boredom gave way to hunger, pain subsided to aches, thoughts became plans. “Apples,” I thought suddenly. “I want to eat an apple. Or anything at this point! Apples with peanut butter! Yes!” I thought with increasing humor. “And a burger! A large one! Oh what else can I have on my fantasy table?” I mused with a smile. Hoof steps began to climb down the steps dully against the wood. My mind raced as to how I'll explain my position to her! “Not what it looks like?” Can't be more obvious than that. Sapphire stumbled into the room droopy eyed and swaying with her steps. A coffee mug lifted out of the mass of sketches and floated over to a yawning unicorn.

Sapphires eye finally landed on me. My mind raced even faster and faster when she raised an eyebrow. My mouth refused to work and I shrugged. Shrugged! Out of all the things I could do shrugging is what I went with! I am a freaking genius!! And yet Sapphire just shrugged back and wandered into the kitchen almost knocking over a few more unfinished paintings.

I heaved a sigh of relief when she left. I looked out the window to see the sun rising on the horizon painting the rapidly departing clouds. Out of curiosity I gently grabbed Trixie's hoof to get a better look at it. I'm not exactly well versed in equine anatomy but I took a crash course in camp while getting my merit badges for riding. Her coat is extra long around her ankles covering her hoof. Indeed it is a hoof just like the horses I rode back on earth. It was a bit slender and a considerable amount smaller. It subtly flexed and clenched around my thumb when I was feeling the inner hoof.

“Huh, I guess they can kinda grab things. Not as good as thumbs though but it shows that I'm not in Kansas anymore.” I thought during my investigation. Trixie's front legs operated very similar to my arms: pivoting shoulders and wrists with an elbow with a wider rotating radius than a normal horse.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie does not like being treated like a lowly puppet.” Trixie twitched her hoof out of my hand and lightly bopping me.

“Says the Great and Powerful Trixie who needed to snuggle with me for comfort.” I teased tapping her horn. “Did you know this thing was sharp?”

“It's uncomfortable sleeping in a ball,” Trixie said defensively not hearing my question. “you kept stretching and rolling. I saw a spot and I took it, nothing more.” Then Trixie seemed troubled. “I had a dream about eating something called a burger. And before that I had a nightmare.” I stared at her stunned. Did I establish a telepathic link to her? That would be so cool if I could do that at will. I tried to speak to her with my mind.

“Hey stop staring at me like that! Did I snore or something!?” Trixie thumped me in the chest after a few moments.

“Whatever,” I said disappointed while sitting up and reflexively cracking my neck. “You did snore a bit. Nothing too loud though.” I turned to her. “I thought you were angry with me.”

“I am now since you cracked your neck when I told you last night not to!” Trixie chided.

“Oh, right. I forgot.” I mumbled.

“Obviously.” Trixie scoffed as she stretched. “What time is it? I'm still tired.”

“Couldn't tell you, I can't find a clock in this place.” I responded. “But Sapphire is awake.” I added.

We both went into the kitchen to see Sapphire furiously writing a letter with a scowl. A gently simmering coffee machine hummed in the corner producing it's foul odor. I still can't see how this thing operated without electricity, no wires in sight. The machine was decorative so that the pot was sitting on the flame of a dragons breath with the dragon curled around the pot. Regardless of how creative the infernal machine was I still hated the smell of coffee.

“The weather team just loooves their little jokes!” Sapphire grumbled slamming the pencil on the table and looked up to us. “Storm wake you too?” A sandwich made of various flowers prepared itself and floated down in front of Sapphire's hungry gaze. “This is the third “incident” this week.” I nabbed an apple from the cupboard and began munching on it while regarding Sapphire. “Too early to wake up and too late to go back to sleep.” She fumed.

Trixie seemed unconcerned about Sapphires ranting and got herself breakfast. “I had a terrible dream! I was being chased by one of those things from your painting. Then it went away and I was eating odd things made of meat! Meat!! And liking it!!” Trixie shuddered.

“Perhaps your friend is starting to rub off on you.” Sapphire said sharply between bites emphasizing sharply on the word friend. A silence fell over the room and we all munched on our breakfast.

“I'm planning on going to Ponyville to meet Short Stacks.” I announced after a while. Sapphires eyes shot up.

“Today?! What about food on the way there?” Sapphire asked.

“I'll manage.” I responded casually still sensitive about about how my eyes look to her. But that wasn't good enough for her as food began to flow about the air and pack themselves into a knapsack.

“Give me a moment to make you something at least.” Sapphire stated. I threw my hands up in protest.

“You've don't have to! You've done so much already. And I don't have anything to pay you back with!” I pleaded. Sapphire sighed and shook her head.

“I was just teasing! What type of pony would I be if I didn't help somepony in need?” Sapphire asked gently. “It's really no trouble at all, you're easier to take care of than Trixie.”

“Hey!” Trixie cried out indigently. Sapphire just rolled her eyes as if to prove her point. “I am the best house guest you've ever had!”

“But the longest one.” Sapphire said with a smirk. “Honestly Trixie the ponies around here are starting to think we're sisters with how often you come here. Had a stallion ask about you.” Trixie perked up at this news.

“Really? What did he ask about.” Trixie asked eagerly. The corners of Sapphires mouth began to twitch drawing out for effect.

“Are you still leeching off your big sister?” Sapphire teased in a mock lower tone.

“Ugh! You're the worst!” Trixie cried out angrily. I laughed out loud but tried to cover it as a bad cough. “You're no good either!” Trixie shot at me.

“Sorry,” I said still regaining my composure. “but you two do act like sisters. Well mine at least.” I explained trying to stifle a few laughs. The saddlebags was full now and the food that couldn't fit put themselves back.

“You have a family?” Sapphire asked conversationally.

“Yeah but they're in the world I came from,” my throat seized up at the thought of my family wondering where I am. “p-probably worried to death. . .” I spoke glumly.

“Oh, chin up!” Trixie said boisterously. “Your wrecking your image with that frown. Let's see a smile on that face!” I smiled weakly but the images of my grief stricken family still plagued my mind.

“Why do you want to go to Ponyville so badly?” Sapphire asked.

“To meet this Short Stacks and tell him about the defeat of Courage's Folly.” I explained.

“Ah, well I suppose that would be good news but,” Sapphire looked me over with a sad look. “Are you sure you have to leave so soon?”

I picked up the saddlebags and ruffled Sapphire mane giving her a smile.

“I'm not going away forever. I'm just going for a visit.” I said cheerfully. “I need the walk to sort myself out. That's all.”

“What about me?” Trixie pouted. I walked over and patted Trixie avoiding her horn.

“Stay away from crumbly old ruins for me, K?” I asked with a smile playing on my lips. “And be careful when you find the Alicorn Amulet.”

I took the time to secure the blade to my hip and looked to the door. I was halfway to the door and I know they were watching me but something important occurred to me.

“Which way to Ponyville?” I asked with a pathetic grin. Trixie buried her face in her hoof, Sapphire stepped outside with me and pointed to the mountain.

“See those towers? Keep walking on the road east of town until you can see all of the castle. Should take you all day if you go right now.” Sapphire explained.

“Thanks!” I said heading out.

The sun was shining in my eyes as I walked down the road and it was getting on my nerves.

“Grr. Couldn't they have left the sky at least mostly cloudy?” I muttered cursing the weather team for their inconsistent weather. It was at least pretty cool out ideal for being outside. The wind whispered in my ears and played with my hair which in all honesty needed a cut. My mind wandered around like a firefly lighting on past memories or current concerns. How would I get back to earth? Could Trixie send me back when- wait. She doesn't even know where she got me from! How could she send me back! I scowled at the thought cursing my bad luck. But things could have been worse I guess. She did stop me from bleeding out at that fort.

The trees slowly crept around the road until it would be considered a forest. I could still see the mountain and the fish bowled castle. Oh, right that wedding would be today. A black cloud hung over the castle and I could see. . . rain? I guess the fish bowl is there so that they wouldn't have to cancel due to rain. “Wait couldn't they hire a few weather teams to keep the skies clear?” I thought absently.

“If they weren't attending the wedding” I answered drearily.

I continued to ask and answer my own questions while repeatedly glancing at the mountains until I got a great view of the castle, well it would be better if a bubble wasn't obscuring most of it. And the black cloud was getting bigger. I hope the storm doesn't come my way. I began to jog to speed things along and to get indoors before the storm caught to me. The blade bounced harmlessly off my legs but scratched my arm a couple of time. Why did the hilt had to be so sharp! Getting used to running and holding the hilt was going to be hard.

The wind had stopped and the temperature had increased causing my jog to be incredibly miserable. Once I get out of these stupid woods and on a hill top it'll be better right? The woods ended suddenly and a valley opened up before me: rolling hills of wildflowers, even from here I could see an orchard and a clock tower over a hill with the road snaking around the gentle hills. I looked back at the woods and did a silent victory fist pump at my small triumph.

I struck out from the road and walked in the direction of the clock tower. The clock said 5:45. Huh, I guess I really let the time slip away from me- Wait! I can read that!! Oh, sure! Can't read any books but I can read clocks just fine!! I climbed up a hill to get a estimate of how much further I needed to go. The breeze was disappointing and the sun beat at me relentlessly. “Ponyville is in sight. Don't. Stop. Now!” I ordered my tired body. Honestly I thought I was going to be attacked by Timber Wolves or something before now. “That's just your anxiety talking Michael.” I spoke to myself.

The town looked like it was colored by a kid using bright colors everywhere and strangely enough it didn't look all that bad. Despite the strange looks I got from the ponies I tried to ignore with mixed results. I wandered the town passing what I thought was the house from Hansel and Gretel, a dress boutique, the market place had fallen silent when I passed through. The silence made me feel embarrassed and spurred me to move faster.

“HEY LOOK OUT!” A voice cried out. WHAM!! My world flipped end over end and stars blocked my vision. My body shrieked in agony as I spat out grit from the road.

“Omigosh! Scootaloo! You hit. . . something!” Another voice squeaked.

“Neva` saw anything like this before.” A voice with a heavy Texan accent commented.

“No,” I growled menacingly. “I bet you didn't.” I cleared my eyes and looked to see three tiny ponies surrounding me and at a overturned scooter. They all looked worried and tried to apologize to me.

“I'm sorry! You just stepped around a corner and I couldn't turn away in time!” The orange filly spoke rapidly. The white filly looked horrified and I looked to see why: I was covered in bruises and fresh scrapes from the cobblestone road and blood was running from my nose but it was also getting in my eyes. “How hard did they hit me!” I thought with pain rising and subsiding with my vision cutting in and out. What struck me odd was that none of them had cutie marks when they were babbling at me. But the scene was drawing a crowd and visions of the Fear Beasts surrounding me flashed before my eyes.

“Listen I'm fine! A few bumps and bruises! That's it! I've had worse.” I snapped at them shutting them up. I tried to stand up but the leg they hit gave out beneath me when I tried to stand up making me crash into the ground again.

“It was an accident!” The orange filly cried out to the other ponies.

“I'm telling you I will be fine!” I said fiercely as I got to my knees. “So don't worry,” the taste of copper filled my mouth and fell on my clothes. I blinked angrily at the blood running down my arms and saw my leg that got hit. My eyes widened as the blood soaked through the denim, the hole wasn't big but the amount getting out was unnerving. I looked back at the scooter again and saw that a bit of blue fabric hung off the bent handle with a wagon overturned behind the scooter.

I undone the sheathe to get at the canvas strips and began bandaging the worst of the bleeding. Through bloody teeth I asked as gently as I could without snarling to badly.

“Scootaloo is it? Take me to the hospital. Now!” I stated. The light tan filly with a red mane galloped off screaming for “Big Mac” whoever that is. “Grah! Why won't it stop bleeding?!” I snarled getting quieter and more angry. “Just. How. Fast. Were. You GOING!” I snapped at the orange filly.

“I-I dunno r-really fast!” The orange filly was in tears now. I focused on breathing and working my leg so I could stand on it. The pain began to spread through my body intensifying with each moment. I grabbed the sword and tried to stand up using it as a cane. The jewel set into the hilt like a pyramid forced me to grip the handle.

“Right there Big mac! It needs a hospital!” The Texan accent was back.

“A`yep.” Was all I heard when my world tumbled about again and landed on a wide sturdy back. Stars exploded in my eyes and a sharp pain sprung in my shoulder. So is this is what it's like being hit by a car and surviving!! The pony only galloped once and I was falling again kissing the ground once more before blacking out.