• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,904 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,904

Chapter 13 Searing Heat and Cool Company

Chapter 13

Searing Heat and Cool Company

I was running through an open field with Glitterlamp kicking up wildflowers and clumps of dirt. I caught the small, flat circular object and flicked my wrist sending it hurtling in a new direction for Glitter to catch. I can hardly recognize my Void anymore, a pantheon of stars littered the sky like fireflies, streams of wispy yet vibrant color stretched across the skies, the chaotic mass of dreams were easily morphed into grass and dirt for us to run on. Senses like taste and touch had been reintroduced so we could breathe the air and feel our lungs burn with effort as we played. Even now the use of inanimate objects had been difficult to manifest and stay manifested. She caught the disc and winged it back with her magic sending me sprinting trying to catch the disc before it hit the ground. Glitter called the game Disc Golf but she preferred to play it with others than trying to make it fly through a hoop; the game sounded familiar and even though the name was different here it was still just as fun as Earth's game.

Glitterlamp had to keep an eye on me so I wouldn't unconsciously cheat like flying through the air, using impossible strength to run faster, make the disc gravitate towards me, teleporting and a series of other rules I would normally do while dreaming. One things was still familiar to my Void: the space between the stars was still as back as obsidian and my connection to everything was still just as strong.

“Hey! Feet on the ground!” Glitterlamp called out laughter filling her voice as I planted my feet firmly back onto the ground. Yeah it was kinda annoying but it was a fun exercise regardless, I still didn't like speaking with my mouth and my voice still came from everywhere when I spoke. The air was sweet and cool to play for ages without regretting a single second of it.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I looked up to the starry abyss as the firefly-like stars now held still with constellations and a moon hung in the sky like a half open eye. I felt a new presence nearby, ancient yet young, formal but carefree, injured while healed.

“Glitter! Something else is here!” My voice pierced the air as sense began to fade and drew the Void into myself as I tried to pin-point the intruder. Glitterlamp trotted to my side looking confused but saw that I wasn't joking. The Void shrank away until the entire dream was a strange dark forest surrounded us as the moon threw shadows that began to stretch toward us. Fearbane materialized in my hand as the golden tendrils emerged from my shoulder blades like heavenly wings stretching to incredible lengths. White and gold trimmed plated armor with obsidian filigree appeared on me as the presence approached closer. The darkness didn't have a hostile feel to it nor did it appear threatening; it was just a night, like any other. The forest didn't even inspire or invoke fear or terror if anything it made me feel safe and cared for. It was only the fact that something came into my dream without permission that ticked me off.

A beautiful dark blue mare calmly walked down a dirt path with a mane filled with stars almost as if she cut a piece of the night sky out to have it. Even though clothes on these ponies are a rare thing this one had jewelery on her. Silver hoof caps, and a small tiara perched on her head with a sapphire placed in it with a black breast plate with a silver crescent moon on it. The look in her eyes betrayed her shock and joy but also fear mixed with bewilderment.

“So it's true, mine eyes have not been playing pranks on us. A human Dreams in Equestria once again, tell us, how did you arrive here?” She spoke with authority yet with kindness as well. I shifted my feet getting into a better fighting stance.

“I was summoned by the Great and Powerful Trixie, who are you to intrude in my head!” She seemed confused when my voice growled from all around.

“We admit, we haven't seen power like this in long time. We mean you no harm, we merely want to meet you and become friends.” The mare stood straighter and turned to show more of her hair and declared loudly. “I am Luna, Princess of the night! My sister is Celestia, Princess of the day! And we merely ask to talk.” With the way she spoke 'we' felt like it meant 'I' very much like the dead speech pattern of monarchs of old. I focused hard and the forest behind me was overcame by my Void until I was flanked by my own power.

“I am Michael, Walker of Dreams and Timber Wolf Slayer.” I introduced myself. “I see you Hostess of the Night, and I will hear what you have to say.” I stated and sheathed Fearbane waiting for Luna's words. She took a deep breath but then looked at something behind me and her eyes went wide.

“A changeling? Why would there be one here unless. . .” She paused only for a moment then something clicked in her head. “My sister would want to see your kind punished, Glitterlamp, the punishment is only banishment-” She began to say then one of my tendrils lashed out and split the oak tree next to her in half with a thunderous crack.

“I didn't have to miss,” I snarled lowly, “the changeling is under my protection. Now if I suspect you going into her head one more time, I'll be very cross. I don't care who you are, if I see you as an enemy little can save you. Am I clear?” I probably shouldn't have been so harsh with my thoughts but unlike the waking world where you have time to form a sentence, there is no time here. Instead of looking mad or even impassive Luna smiled.

“It is good to see that your kinds passion has not changed, despite all this time. Seeing you two, reminds us of a time long since passed.” She said almost as a confession. “We hold no grudge against the changeling, we won't tell our sister about your whereabouts on a simple condition.” Oh great, blackmail. This can't end well and Fearbane was back in my hand in an instant.

“Your terms?” A deep snarl echoed betraying my loathing and disgust.

“Don't ever leave her. Now we must go, we've overstayed our welcome. We'll be in touch.” She said simply and disappeared leaving Glitterlamp and I staring at each other.

“I got to see Princess Luna herself!” Glitterlamp said in hushed awe. “Her mane really is like a starry cape!” She bounced up and down unable to contain her glee. I watched the sky's constellations disappear and all traces of Luna washed away leaving us back in my void. A clanging sound caught my attention as Glitterlamp tapped my armor in wonder. “You kinda look like a castle guard in this, but why does it cover your whole body?” She asked looking me up and down appraising my new look. I gently ruffled her mane and the armor fell off like sand, leaving me in my normal clothes.

“Doesn't matter really, although I thought ponies around her couldn't have both horn and wings. I know you can but you're not exactly normal by their standards at all, I guess what I'm saying is; what can a pony be born with?” I asked a little miffed that I thought I had figured this world's basics out, then proven wrong. Glitterlamp thought for a moment and asked me to make a chalk board to help her explain. The request was simple enough, then Glitterlamp drew a bunch of ponies each with something different.

“OK, where to start?” She mumbled to herself then pointed to a drawing. “There are 'earth' ponies, those who don't have magic and wings. There's probably a huge difference between all of them like bone structure and all that, but I'm a sculptor not a doctor.” She said jokingly. “Anyway, Pegasus is when they have wings and can affect the weather directly. Unicorns, like Trixie, can use magic to affect the world around them, but nothing like what you do here every night!” Glitterlamp waved a hoof around pointing to the general area. “Alicorns are exceedingly rare the only ones we know of are Luna and Celestia. I guess you can count us changelings as well but our horn is curved and our wings aren't feathery, and our legs have holes in them.” She added sadly then looked at me. “Hey, couldn't you make me look better? Without all of this?” She gestured to herself. I knelt down and threw my arms around her.

“Why would I want to change that? You look just fine to me, Swiss cheese legs and all.” I said soothingly. “Why do you put yourself down like that?” I asked firmly.

“I have to change my look to be accepted in public, so I must look horrible.” She answered as if it was a fact.

Before I could say something to combat that sentence I began to wake up with Glitterlamp still in my arms. It still hurt even though what she said was directed to herself, even though the creature I held didn't look at all like Glitterlamp I gave her a reassuring squeeze to hopefully make her feel better. She returned the hug but I still felt an uneasiness about her. A sharp pain in my neck got my attention but one twist and several snaps of my neck subdued the pain.

“I guess this was what love feels like, caring for another so much it hurts when they hurt.” I thought quietly. The windows were still dark and the train was still chugging along. I still felt like I needed more sleep but now I worry what would happen if I over slept. Glitterlamp still slept on soundly despite the rocking and shaking of the train. I wanted to sleep longer but I didn't want to oversleep at the same time, I eventually opted for staying awake.

I sat up being careful not to wake up my dreaming companion, it bothered me that she doesn't view herself in a more positive light. Then again, what do I know of good looks around here? She could be absolutely right but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

“I wonder if our knowledge is starting to leak to the other? The difference between male and female bodies are becoming easier to spot.” I thought numbly drawing my knees to my chin. “She can even keep the disguise up in her sleep, I wonder if she actually gets real sleep.” My numbed thoughts drifted in and out like the shallow breaths Glitterlamp took. I shook myself warding against sleep but to no effect. I stood up to look out the window after tucking the blanket around Glitterlamp. The world outside was dark but dawn was approaching and saw why they gave me a hat.

It was a freaking dessert. A heat blasted, desolate, scorched, bone dry, sun to melt your eyeballs to jelly, dessert. My tan is that of the full moon! I will burn so easily here unless I can get some form of a light coat or something. The creeping light only made me worry how hot it's going to be.

“Wait, they can control the weather. It can't possibly be THAT hot out, can it?” I thought clinging to that little bit of hope. My stomach churned as the train stopped accelerating and coasted turning most of the trains noise into a deafening silence. The only sound was the wheels going over the rails and my own breathing. The sudden lack of sound should've probably bothered me more but I love trains and the silence only meant this leg of our journey is almost done.

“Ours? Well this is just as troubling for Glitter as is for me. Ours, heh, never thought I would get to use that word with anyone outside of my family AND have it mean something.” I thought playing with the thought of having a real friend, then I thought of the friend I was supposed to be hanging out with a few days ago. Truth be told we only maybe had two things in common and I was going over so he had at least another warm body at his birthday party, shame I never really memorized his name. I chuckled and shook my head. “I need to get better at remembering names, if only I didn't move around so often.” Not that I blamed my parents for anything, jobs merely kept being at different places or the place was full of outsider hating jerks. People come and go, it's the nature of life but my family has always had such strong ties of love that it might as well have been eternal. Sadly, I don't trust others very easily; I've met too many liars and got hurt, never physically but my heart hurts.

“But this is a new town! And in a loving, peaceful world! Surely I won't have that trouble here, everyone I met have been extremely friendly toward me despite everything!” I thought stretching my stiff back and retrieved the gifted hat trying to get used to wearing it. “It's not bad at all, just think you're a awesome cowboy or that one episode with a Doctor in it, the one that one of your bros made you watch? That one.” I thought trying the hat on but still felt a little weird, and maybe a little bit silly. It was a little wide but there was a little hidden strap on the inside of the hat to adjust sizes.

“Why don't you ever smile like that more often?” Glitterlamp asked me which nearly made me jump out of my skin. I looked at her and then looked back at the window at the ever increasing light, and it looked. . . I don't know, hopeful. “Now you're back to mr stone face. Did I do something wrong?” I shook my head and leaned on the wall facing her.

“No, none comes to mind. It's hard to quite hear through voices y`know?” I said with a shrug,

“Voices? Again?” She looked at me split between worry and confusion.

“That's what we called it when one of us had a lot on their minds. My family I meant.” I explained grinning at the memory, all the little crazy things that kept us going through the day. “Anyway,” I declared boisterously, “this is a new town full of new people-”

“Ponies.” Glitterlamp corrected throwing me off my groove.

“Whatever, new town, new faces. Lets just make a decent first impression no need to flatter, impress, amuse nor disappoint. Just act casual.” I finished like I had done every time I moved to a new area.

The sun rose solidly in they sky but the train rumbled on unaware or uncaring of the nervousness of its occupants.

“Let me get this straight, Luna can actually move the moon? And her sister, Celestia can move the sun!” I asked surprised and in awe at such power but really I guess it makes sense.

“In a nut shell, yeah. They've been around for as long as history goes back. At least a thousand years but recorded history has a blank spot of about two hundred years, roughly around Luna's banishment.

“Interesting, that would definitely rank the both of them up to demigoddess status to be certain.” I mused thinking just how much power would be needed to move the sun and moon, and Luna wanted to keep me secret from her sister. A tingle crawled down my spine as I tried to fathom the reason why.

“I'm not sure why Luna came to you, she usually helps stop young fillies and colts from having bad dreams.” She commented equally baffled. I nodded and let my mind wander,

“Keep hidden, like how Fearbane was hidden. Oh yeah, there was a little journal that had a bunch of weird symbols.” The symbol with a horn with holes in it with a large “C” wrapped around it was brought up since it kinda looked like a moon.

“Hey, wait. How do you know the Changeling's Royal crest?” Glitterlamp asked me really confused now.

“That was from a journal from a crumbling fort, we didn't even get to explore the whole thing, just like what? The first room? Trixie had what she went for.” I explained getting more interested with this conversation.

“Come to think of it, the crest was mostly black or dull, dark green at best with holes like Swiss cheese,” then something dawned on me as my eyes grew wide. “You are a child of a cursed and failed rebellion against the Lord of Fear himself.”

Silence reigned over us like the clouds reign over the land. We merely stared at each other as the train rumbled on. How horrid could one be to make someone aware that they are the product of a long line of failure? That's what I just did, and I didn't even mean to.

“You would've been a crystal pony if it didn't fail,” I thought in wonder, “how much power did Sombra had to change the fundamentals of genetics? Then again, magic might be even more stronger than I thought.” Glitterlamp seemed to be piecing things on her end even though her eyes are fixed on me, her gaze was turned inward to her thoughts. Probably hating me by bringing her lineage of failure mind.

“Chrysalis always said we were wronged and we will have our day, she had the wrong target all along.” She spoke softly. “But the crystal empire is no more, it disappeared. . .” She trailed off and I didn't even have to read her emotions to guess the next part.

“A thousand years ago, Luna's banishment, a huge record gap. I think something happened back then, something the royals of this land doesn't want anyone remembering and I'm somehow connected to that. But how?” I wondered aloud still not seeing the completed picture. “Grrr! Not enough! Nothing makes sense yet, I'll remember to ask Luna if she visits again.” I said now troubled with this info and yet,

“I've been traveling with a Crystal pony the entire time.” I couldn't stop grinning at that thought.

“A cursed one!” My companion countered moodily.

“I think Onyx still count's as a gem, a precious stone at least!” I pointed out, she seemed shocked and I could feel a sense of warmth coming from her. “Onyx and emeralds, they go well together you know.” I said trying to build that warmth. The train lurched slightly but enough to make me stagger around for a second.

“We're here, Appaloosa.” She said almost as if she couldn't believe it. “But, what about what we just figured out!”

“Still going on, we might just want to talk about it later is all.” I put the hat on and we both stepped onto the Appaloosa Train Station.

Many ponies took a few steps back as I set foot on the platform, despite the scenery the air was pleasant and not nearly as horrendous as I thought it would be. That didn't mean that I didn't want a pair of think sunglasses to get the light out of my eyes. I smiled and waved at the staring ponies with good cheer.

“Good morning!” I called out heartily. Seeing the new creature being friendly they seemed to relax and go about whatever they had to do that morning. The town was amazing! Then again every town in this world is amazing in it's own little way. This town looked like the perfect western town! I'm not exactly sure if this world was copying western life and movies from Earth or the other way around! The hat would come in more help later when the sun is angled down on me instead of UP!! I tried to ignore this irritation and looked around for, well, anything at this point.

“OK, I got a plan. I think I see the building where the mayor is in, that bigger looking building?” Glitterlamp said pointing a hoof down the road. Despite the charm of the town it was still small, just starting out, scraping by, barely populated and in need of helping hands or hooves as the case may be. Wow almost here for a week and I can't get this world's lingo right. “I'll see about getting a house, look around and see if you can't see where you can help. Might get Bits that way for the med bill.” But she is certainly picking up my lingo, even if she doesn't realize it.

Glitterlamp trotted down the road and I felt her mind's pressure leave me, like a bowl of water being drained.

“Wait, did she just tell me to get a job? Oh! I have to TALK to people!!” The last part over shouted the first thought as I didn't have a clue on who to actually ask. Everypony looked fairly busy with whatever they were doing and I really didn't want to talk to any of them in fear I would make a fool out of myself. “Get it together, this world is full of strange creatures and magic. You'll be fine, just say hello and don't act creepy. Be formal yet casual, speak simply but not stupidly.” I tried to gather up the courage to talk but just asking a random person about the town probably won't help me; after all, they might be new to town themselves.

After walking around just taking in the scenery of the town I watched as some ponies pulled horse drawn carriages, with some ponies painting themselves upon canvas. I found it odd yet amusing to watch the painters hold their brushes and capture the moment but none could hold a candle to Sapphire's talent. Music drifted on the air sounding very much like a fiddle and I turned to see two groups of mares and colts square dancing. One set of music was very lively and full of energy much like the dancers while another of music took after the elderly dancers, they danced more gently and smoother befitting their age. To say I was enjoying myself in my aimless meandering was an understatement. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face after seeing almost everyone here look so gosh darn happy. Yeah, the air was warmer than what I prefer but it wasn't blistering hot; of course the day is young and it still could get worse.

I found a saloon not because the sign said it was but it looked exactly what a saloon should look like: swinging side doors, piano music pouring from within, wide windows to look into, loud joyful singing and mostly because I overhead a stallion say he was going to the saloon for a drink. Most adventurers I've ever played always found where to work or picked up rumors at such places, let's put that theory to the test.

I tried to act natural and confident as I walked in and tried to find a place to sit, if only the piano player didn't hesitate in his song, if only the singing didn't abruptly stop, if only I hadn't walked straight into a pie throwing fight and get nailed square in the face. Getting hit with pie didn't look so bad in the movies but HOLY CRUD DID IT HURT! I stood there frozen because I didn't really know how to react to a pie-in-the-face event, my mind rushed on how to pull this off as a no big deal. Act like it didn't happen? No, too many seconds passed by for that. Shrug it off like it's no big deal? Let's try it.

I grabbed the pie pan and leaned forward so it slid off my face leaving it sticky and smelling of apples. I wiped my face and licked my finger trying to stoke my own bravado and walked further into the suddenly quite saloon to sit down. I then preceded to eat the pie that hit me. Everyone stared at me widely almost waiting for me to say something, like to see if they should apologize or not.

“Don't mind me, carry on.” Fell out of my mouth before I could think, and just like that the saloon's music was back to it's loud splendor and singing ensued but it seemed like the pie throwing was done for now.

I was left alone as I ate the pie and just tried not to look as flustered or embarrassed at the whole thing. One of the stallions sat down next to me and his style screamed 'classical Texan' and he had a mug which his hoof was curled around.

“Howdy, sorry about the stray pie earlier. Jus` a few of us havin` a little too much fun before the day starts.” He said and I took another bite of the apple pie with a smile. “Never seen one of you before, what brings ya here?” He asked and I kicked back and took a deep breathe, this part I had a pretty good idea what to say.

“I came here with a friend of mine, a unicorn, and heard that this place is in need of more help. So we came, right now she's probably looking for a house while I look for a place of employment. Do you know of anyone that would need some help?” I felt that it might've been a little wordy but he seemed to understand.

“Not alotta folks wanna come out here since the ground isn't green and too dusty, so welcome to Appaloosa,” he said warmly. “Not very much in the way of work, sad to say, most of the towns livelihood come from two places: cherries and apples.” The stallion didn't seem that young and certainly not old but had a sense of hardship about him. “The gal runnin` the cherry trees has all the help she could want since it's easier an` all. Only one fella stands out in mind though, Braeburn, he's been asking for year round help for his trees.” He said as if sorry for the guy. “Trees are troublesome enough in a forest, not sure what he was thinking with taking them to a dessert. It's not like he can afford to bring clouds in.”

“Sorry to hear that he has trouble with his farm, I should see if he needs some help.” I said trying to memorize the name Braeburn in my head.

“Try if ya want, partner, but I'm afraid it's a lot of hard work hauling water buckets to trees.” He said almost like saying 'I warned ya' and left me to eat the rest of the pie while everyone went to go to work or something.

“I should've asked for his name, oh well, he didn't get mine either.” I thought as I scraped the rest of the crust into my mouth. “Braeburn, huh, just as good as anywhere else. I figured a weather team would bring water, but do they charge for additional services?” I let my mind wander for a bit and I hadn't even realized until the last bite that this pie was just like the one on the train, and I hardly even tasted the darn thing! I sighed and walked up what seemed to be the bar, although I doubted hardcore that they sold alcohol here, and got the mare's attention.

“Do you know where I can find Braeburn?” I asked pleasantly. She gave me a towel and chuckled a little bit.

“Not often anypony walks through those doors and takes a pie like that, Braeburn? I think his house is north west of town but his orchard takes most of the west side of town.” She told me as I wiped my face. “We had kinda had a 'incident' a while ago, the local buffalo wasn't happy that we planted those apple trees on their stampeding grounds.” Talking buffalo now? Man, I was almost looking forward to some buffalo steak. . . actually any form of meat at this point. I really want a freaking burger.

“And?” I asked handing back the towel.

“Well, it wasn't a real pretty nor proud moment but the chieftain got a taste of our apple pie and things suddenly just resolved itself.” She said shrugging, “it was kinda weird to be honest, one moment folks are rarin` for a fight, next we were sending pies with them.” She illustrated with her hoofs.

“How long ago was this?” I asked kinda confused on the whole situation.

“Umm, about two or so weeks ago?” She said not sounding all that sure.

“I see,” I said thinking it over.

“So what are you? Pretty sure I've never even heard of you before.” She said with a smirking grin.

“I'm sure you have, I'm a human, The Living Change, Walker of Dreams and the Nightmare of Timber Wolves. But I go by the name 'Michael' more often.” I said realizing I was probably going to far with my self proclaimed titles. “I'm kinda new around here,” I finished jokingly. Her jaw may have well been on the counter and her eyes wide enough to pass an apple though.

“Like the ones in the stories?” She asked me warily.

“Maybe, a lot of the tales don't sit well with me.” I said to make it sound like I knew more than what I did. “But that's not really important, I need to get going anyway. Nice talking with you!” I said as I stood up and headed for the doors.

I stepped into the warm sunlight and tried to look for Braeburn, if only I knew where north was. I sighed and rubbed my head trying to figure out what to do. I don't think using Earth's method of determining north would help here, might end up going to wrong way. What a strange and wonderful world I'm in.

“Not much I can do about it, might as well pick a direction and go. If I see cherry trees, I went the wrong way is all.” I thought feeling really out of place and a little bit lost, not a good combo to be feeling. I looked down the street and watched the crowd of meandering ponies going to about their business. “Wait, didn't that guy earlier say that Braeburn didn't have that much help? Go down the least used path I guess.” Then again following random single ponies. . . no, just no.

I sighed heavily and started my search for Braeburn. Once I got outside what little town so that the buildings stopped obscuring the landscape I could see an orchard only a short walk from town. I couldn't tell from here what type of tree they were, so I walked toward them. I pondered on who Braeburn was and why the he wasn't as successful as the cherry trees; it's like chicken and pork, why only support one?

“Hi there!” A chipper and up beat voice said right next to me snapping me out of my visions of fried chicken and bacon dancing around my head. I stared blankly with wide eyes at the hay yellow stallion smiling up at me, his hat looked similar to mine and he wore a decorative vest with piercing forest green eyes. “I can't say I've seen you around, I'm Braeburn and welcome to Aaaapaloosa!” He stretched the “A” on Appaloosa for a second, he was really energetic. Wait! This is Braeburn!

“Oh! Uh, hi! I was looking for you,” I said trying to address him formerly as an employer. “I heard that you needed some help on the apple trees? Erm, orchard? Year long help?” I started babbling.

“Well it ain't no secret that I need more help, are you offering?” He didn't skip a beat and his sterling smile never wavered, if anything it got wider!

“Yes,” I said simply. “I need the work. Name's Michael” I wish I could've said something a little bit convincing.

“Fantastic!” He cried out making me jump, seriously this guy is way to happy. “Follow me and we can start right away! Really convenient that you came by this morning!” I didn't speak I just nodded and followed him, turned out I wasn't that far off from his orchard.

“Can y`all come here a minute! Got something that's gonna help us, c`mon and say hello!” Braeburn called out when we got to his orchard. The trees looked parched, already the trees looked ready for fall and crunchy yellow leaves fell occasionally. Not all the trees were parched and dying it seems that several of the trees were imported or something.

Four other ponies came from behind the thin trees, two younger and two at least Braeburn's age. I kept an even face and mentally nodded that this was probably all there was.

“This is Michael and is here to help, Michael this is Cactai Blossom, Lilly Pond, Lil Dune Dander ans Sandie Applecore.” Braeburn introduced each one seemingly from eldest to youngest.

Cactai was a slim mare with dull grass green coat with white-silver hair and neon pink eyes, her eyes really stand out. Lilly Pond was heaving and looked exhausted but smiled pleasantly, she had an ocean blue coat dulled with dust which didn't mar her dandelion yellow mane nor her storm gray eyes. Lil Dune and Sadie looked as old as the 'Cutie Mark Crusaders' were. Lil Dune however seemed to blend with the sandy ground and his hair was similar to Braeburn's straw yellow but his eyes were a rich Earthy brown, all n` all he looked rather sturdy for his size. Sandie seemed to have that sturdiness as well; her coat was a warm orange with sandy hair with striking blue eyes. All of which looked me over as the foreign object I really was. When I looked back at them I noticed that all of them were earth ponies, not one had a horn nor wings.

“Looks a little thin, do ya really think it can help?” Cactai commented, “Got my hands full enough making sure Lilly here doesn't drop from exhaustion.” Lilly didn't seem offended but looked slyly at Cactai.

“Doesn't stop you from talking my ears off.” She said nicely but made the two glare at each other before laughing it off.

“Does this mean ah don't have to carry as much water?” Lil Dune asked hopefully.

“Yep!” Braeburn confirmed and both Lil Dune and Sadie did a whoop of childish glee. “Alright now, did any of you water the trees yet?” Everyone shook their heads. “Alright, let's show our new friend here how we do it!” Braeburn exclaimed.

They showed me where the water buckets were and where to fill them. The repetition was simple: fill the bucket, go to your row, dump at least four buckets worth on each tree then move to the next. The bucket looked about the size of five gallons, the job was easy and simple the only problem is that it was the only thing we did all day and I don't think we got even half of the orchard watered! Time lost meaning to me at one point and I don't know when my skin started to itch. The hat felt like it was slowly engulfing my head and my feet felt like I had been walking on sandpaper. I had to check my hands several times just to make sure they weren't bleeding because they felt like it!

I must have missed lunch as well, my stomach did not sound friendly. Everyone was polite enough but not a lot of time for talk since we were working. When I started to head wearily back to town Braeburn stopped me.

“Aren't ya going to stick around for dinner?” He asked confused on why I was leaving.

“Well, Glitter might be wondering where I am,” I said softly as if the dust had clogged my throat but the walk seemed daunting. Braeburn seemed put out but I relented. “Yeah, sure I can stay for dinner.” And like a switch his face lit up.

The inside of the house of Braeburn was pretty spacious and rustic feeling. Warm burnt orange and rust red with vibrant yellow seemed to be the theme of things but all was in good taste. I quickly learned that both Sandie and Lil Dune was younger siblings to Braeburn, Cactai was a local mare and she lived up to her name by having a really thorny personality and Lilly came from the coast but I didn't quite catch the name, my throat didn't feel well enough for much talking and I was content with merely listening.

“We got more watered today than usual! Great job partners!” Braeburn cheered more than once during our meal. It was another vegetarian meal, if there was any way you can serve an apple; it was most likely on the table: apple pies, apple fritter, sliced, sauced, cider, juice and it was all indeed. Apples. The crust on it all was divine and everything tasted wonderful! It was a good time but I wish I felt better to actually enjoy this moment.

“Hey moron, you got yourself heat exhaustion and dehydrated. Grab that cider and start drinking.” A familiar voice criticized me, and I did what it advised.

“Hey, where did you get this cider? Did you make this yourself?” Cactai asked Braeburn.

“Well, I pre-ordered some from my cousin Applejack, y`know the one at Sweet Apple Acres? This batch is from this apple season, sweetest batch yet I wager.” He said almost as if it was a close kept secret and drank from his cup.

“Why are your hooves shaped like that?” Lil Dune prodded me to get my attention.

“Hmm?” I said looking down at him. “What?” I asked tiredly.

“I said, why are your hooves shaped like that?” He repeated.

“Lil Dune that's impolite,” Braeburn said not very sternly.

“Nah, it's fine Braeburn. I was born like this,” I said stretching my fingers out in front of him, honestly I had gotten used to these strange questions just like the questions about my height.

“Is it normal for you to change color too?” Sandie, I think, asked me.

“What, no, not last I checked.” I said then looked at my sun seared arms. “Crit. . .” I muttered, no wonder my skin itched terribly. “It's fine, just need some Aloe Vera. It'll help.” I said waving a hand dismissively.

“Well, if you say so.” Braeburn said kinda not sure of himself sounding. “Wait, what's Aloe Vera?”

“Things just keep looking up don't they?”

“Give it a few days and it'll be working else where like the last one, if it can't take the heat” Cactai clicked disapproving before drinking. I guess I should've been more offended but I was too tired to really care, if anything I felt fuzzy and I didn't think that was good. I reached forward to pour myself another glass to try to hydrate myself.

“Shows what you know,” I commented dryly, “shows what you know. . .” I repeated softer. She probably didn't find it all that amusing but I didn't care. My eyes kept darting to the clock watching the seconds tick by wanting to get out now.

“C`mon Cactai, I got good feelings with this one.” Braeburn rose to my defense.

“And he didn't last even a few days, and he conned you into paying up at the beginning.” Cactai countered. Braeburn bit his lip seeming to have hit a nerve.

“I didn't pay this one upfront.” He countered weakly.

“At least you learn from your mistakes.” The daggers kept flying. I unsheathed Fearbane up enough to look into the cat eye gem that could cover my entire palm. The gem was dusty and I rubbed it gently off, the iris was still as clear and void black as ever yet I could almost detect movement inside.

“Getting here back for work is gonna be miserable, I hope I recover quickly.” I thought as I rubbed the dust from my sword. The gem shined as if waking up and the light that poured forth like a tangible fog washing over me.

“Yeah, that would be pretty cool. I wonder how Glitter's day went. . . probably wondering where I am.” I thought distantly as I spaced out into the eye. “Did it get really quite?” I thought as the constant buzz was no longer present. I looked up and saw that everyone was looking at me, the room was brighter and the fuzz was lifted from my mind. The room dimmed back down to normal light allowing shadows to exist.

“What in the hay was that!” Cactai demanded wide eyed.

“What was what?” I asked nonchalantly feeling better and slid Fearbane back down. The apple pie tasted better now, like the dust was wiped clean from my very being.

“Your eyes started glowing and yellow came out! Your coat isn't red anymore either!” Sandie hopped up and down excitedly. “Can you use your magic to heal our trees?” She asked adorably, the shocked faces turned into smiles with Braeburn smiled broadly at everyone.

“Didn't I say I had a good feeling?” And everyone agreed joyfully.

“Oh snap!! Did my power just activate by itself! Where was it hours ago when I felt like crap!!” I thought angrily but tried to keep a smiling face.

“Why didn't you use it earlier?” Cactai questioned me, I could tell a weighted question when I heard one.

“It's kinda new thing to me,” I said as I turned to Braeburn. “When should I come in tomorrow? I forgot to ask you about work hours when I met you.” Braeburn didn't miss a beat.

“Oh, about seven would be fine.” He said chipper as ever. If Glitterlamp said I was distant and unaffected by the world I found another mask wearer. “I would like to end whenever we're done, but we always stop around four or so. Say where did you get thing? It was glowing as brightly as you were.” I grinned wickedly and leaned back smugly trying to think of a way to elaborate my tale.

“Oh, no place special. An abandon fort once built by the Lord of Fear, King Sombra, Courage's Folly by name.” I said mystically, unfortunately their faces didn't react the way I thought they would.

“Where? Who? What?” Was the general reaction of everyone deflating my bubble. Feeling rather put out by the anti build up.

“It's called Fearbane, it's the artifact I found in Courage's Folly.” I said irritated at the lack of awe from everyone.

“Would only Trixie be impressed by this!!” I thought darkly, remembering the awesome adventure into a dark fort and doing battle with monsters.

“Anyway, I gotta get going. I'm pretty tired.” I said standing up from my seat to leave.

“Alrighty then! See ya tomorrow.” Lil Dune said beaming at me. Well I guess the kids were impressed by the act, like one would be from a fairy tale.

The inner part of my hat was slick with my own sweat and the breeze felt great to me, the sun wasn't quite down yet but soon enough. I felt Glitterlamp's mental presence before I saw her and I really hoped she succeeded in her goal; sleeping outside didn't sound all that great.

“Thank you so much!” Glitterlamp cried out. “Moving place to place is really hard, especially since I live with such a strange, oh there he is over there! Michael!” She waved over to me with a mare next to her. I smiled tiredly feeling individual muscles ache as they were no longer in use.

“Ach! I thought that healing spell I did fixed me!” I sighed mentally.

“Hello,” I greeted almost musically, “did you find your day to your liking?” I asked locking eyes with her.

“What name do you go by here?” I asked quizzically. “Don't tell me here, tell me later.”

“See he's kinda, weird. Makes living in places long kinda hard.” She said almost bashfully.

“Ah, it ain't so bad! It's not like you're living with a griffon!” A tan mare with half moon glasses said. “Don't worry about it, sugar. I'm sure you'll fit right in around here.” She said smiling widely at both of us.

“It's been nice talking to you! But it's getting late, need to get all settled in and all.” Glitterlamp said sadly but cheerfully.

“If ya need help just let us know okay, sugar?” The tan mare offered graciously. The feeling that came from Glitter though was that of patient annoyance. She led me to one of the houses on the outer ring of town. It looked new and taller than most of the other houses thus far, but still seemed to be built by the same architect that uses the same bright clashing colors. The house wasn't exactly ideal or even that large but right now it looked more than tempting.

“We got here just in time too! They were thinking of turning this house into a barn!” Glitterlamp said it as if it would had been a tragedy. “It's so big on the inside c`mon!” She insisted and pulled me inside and it was indeed larger than Sapphires house. I rose my arms to stretch and my fingers landed firmly on the ceiling, I stretched a little further without standing on my toes; to my disappointment I could put both of my palms on the ceiling,

“Well, it's certainly better than Sapphire's roof.” I thought trying to look at the brighter side of things.

“Ha! You get anything bigger and it's considered a castle!” Glitterlamp laughed at me than gave me a hug. I jumped at the sudden touch but I knelt down to hug her back properly.

“I missed you! That mare was oh so nice!” She almost snarled. “She treated me like a child since I was from Canterlot!” She chuckled at something and smiled wickedly. “But a little magic made her a lot more agreeable.”

“You mean the one that was talking with you?” I asked patting her back, trying to feel for her wings.

“Yeah, turns out she's really nice once she thinks you're not a city pony! She was able to give us all this new furniture after I told her my sob story!” She said gleefully prancing around showing off all the furniture that was 'gifted' to her.

“So you lied,” I thought briefly as I looked at a lamp shaped like a fish. “How are we going to pay for this. . .” I thought bleakly, tiredness creeping back into my mind in full force.

“Not really!” She stamped a hoof on the floor offended. “I told only half of what happened! I met some rough times in my life and I live with you! I didn't have to make all that up,” I felt something kinda like a hand sift through my head, it felt fuzzy and warm then realization dawned on her head. “Oh, look, this world isn't like yours. I only lied about who I am, the rest was true, really.” She said softer. “Things like this is pretty common in frontier towns.”

“How did you- never mind, I'm just tired. And I miss my home,” I said worried and irritated that someone could sift through my memories, but it was Glitter, so it was alright. “You're right, this isn't my world. I should relax. Oh!” I said hanging Fearbane on the wall, it was a little hook and the height was convenient; probably a coat hanger or something. “I forgot what I was about to say, never mind.”

“Did you find a job?” Glitterlamp asked still excited from her day but curious on how mine went. “You look awful, like the first time we met- sorry,” she apologized for bringing it up. I sat down but the couch was still too low for me, similar to Sapphire's couch.

“Really? I thought that spell fixed that.” I said looking myself over but didn't notice anything wrong then I looked back to Glitter. “Yeah, I found a guy named Braeburn and he hired me on right on the spot.” I yawned scratching my head but my hat got in the way. “Kinda worried about the stability of the job if he's gonna hire like that.” I said while taking off my hat, funny how you stop noticing things while you work. I just wish I could cool down a little bit, was it actually warmer in here than it was outside?

“Wait! You had a spell cast on you? By who!?” Glitter jumped up and begin scanning me with her horn. Her mint aura washed over me and like a search light light making me feel kinda tingly. A gold and black mist hovered just above my skin when her light fell upon me, she felt very intruded and frustrated about. . . something, I couldn't quite pin it. “What type of spell did she say it was?” Glitter asked with an edge.

“No pony did anything to me, I think I did the spell. Tried to heal myself.” I tried to explain while trying to read her emotion but it was harder now, like trying to hear through music through a wall.

She seemed to be fully absorbed by the mist and shook her head.

“I've never seen magic like this, it's there but, not there.” She seemed to want to say something but lacked the words for it. “Ah, that probably didn't even make sense! I can usually tell what magic was cast and who, kinda like a trademark but this one is missing. And this was a sloppy spell, you really didn't heal yourself; just delayed the pain.” As to show her point she touched my skin and at first nothing happened then in a second it burned like being poked with red hot iron!

“Htch! Tch! Tch!” I sputtered kinda like a water sprinkler on fast forward came out of my mouth. I drew back but the fabric touching my skin turned red and burned too! And just like that the spell was broken and my sun burn came back with all my weariness. My vision switched back and forth between moments of intense clarity and feverish delirium. I stood up and rocked horribly on my feet and I fell head first toward the floor but the floor seemed to want to stay away from me.

“I got you!” I could faintly hear Glitter. “OK, ok. We need cold water.” I was floating near her but slightly above her. The colors of the wall blurred and blended before my eyes as white noise filled my ears, my stomach rebelled at the sights and my legs and arms kept bumping the wall. I curled into a ball and screwed my eyes shut trying to will my stomach to stay still. Fabric seared my flesh and threatened to choke and restrict me; I bent in such a way so the offending pain could leave me all the sooner. Then the white noise stopped, the only sound in the room was my erratic heart beat and ragged breathing accompanied by someone's breath.

“On the count of three!” A voice barely pierced the haze. “One,” wait, why are we counting? “Two,” counting to three meant I was going to be in trouble if I didn't do something, right? “Three!” My entire world became silent and I was dumped into a frozen ocean which burned worse than the fabric, already it was hard to breathe and muscles clenched at the sudden change in temperature. I tried to swing my arms and legs to avoid drowning but something had a hold on me! I was spiraling down in panic and fear of drowning and being eaten by. . . whatever had me!

Then at when I had a vague idea of what I was going to do I felt a calm wash over me.

“Don't you dare attack me again!” Glitter's voice was that of a giants! “Ugh! Your mind is all sick and fuzzy! You are in a bath tub with cold water! Your skin is peeling! Calm down right now!”

“Glitter? Bath tub?” I tried to make coherent pictures and words on my head. “Safe?” I asked and it seemed to get through.

“Yes, we're safe.” Her voice calmed down and I ceased my struggles. However it didn't stop me from shivering violently in the water. slowly things stopped being vague colors and shapes, details were being made clear. The walls was a sky blue with an ocean themed mirror, a tiny closet for towels or drawers I guess, hard to tell with the last one, and Glitterlamp staring back down at me.

“Hey,-” I hardly recognized the scratchy, rough garbled voice that came out of my mouth and it probably didn't help that is was as weak as a whisper. “What happened?” I spoke with both mind and what little voice I had left.

“It's my fault, that spell held more back than what I thought!” Glitterlamp said mixed between amazement, anger, and worry. “I didn't think you could do magic! Honestly! The uninitiated are the most dangerous! Don't they have teachers for this sort of thing in your world?!”

“No, they don't. It hurt's to think. Can we be quiet?” I pleaded as my head threatened to tear itself in half. “Just for a minute?” Glitterlamp smiled and nodded.

“I guess I'll have to teach you how to use magic,” she whispered to me and touched her horn to my head. “I do know a little bit about healing magic, might get rid of the headache.”