• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,904 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,904

Chapter 12 Train Rides and Apple Pies

Chapter 12

Train Rides and Apple Pies

The morning was bright, warm, pleasant and I dearly wished for a heavy cloud cover. Not that I disliked the sun or anything, it's just too bright. I was chewing on the last of the sugary treats as the sun rose from the horizon. It was too early to wake up at first, 4:45 at best, but I couldn't get back to sleep however Glitterlamp managed it. I lit a candle to give me some light and tried to re-craft Fearbane's scabbard and tried to make it a little more durable. The wound in my left palm made it difficult to work the construction.

“Normal people pinch themselves to wake up. What do I do? I freaking IMPALE my hand on my sword!” I sighed outwardly and finished the shoddy craftsmanship. At least it won't fall apart when I draw the sword out. I thought about starting a journal to sustain my sanity in this world, I felt silly not thinking about this earlier. A crack of thunder broke the delicate silence like an egg sending my heart racing. Moments after I swear I could hear laughing outside, yeah the weather team around here sucked! I looked around the house for a while trying to look for a unused journal, sadly the only thing Sapphire had an abundance of was canvas.

Glitterlamp stumbled down the stairs rubbing her eyes.

“Good morning,” she greeted me tiredly. “I didn't know it was raining.”

“It wasn't, just the weather team playing stupid pranks.” I answered tightening the last touches to the scabbard. “Anyway, I want to say my farewells to Trixie before we go to Appaloosa.”

“You do know that it's still really early right?” Glitterlamp sat down next to me brushing her mane with a comb wreathed in her magic. I shrugged and tested the sheathe to see if it would fall apart, it wasn't perfect but it held up well enough.

I had no idea when Sapphire would be back and I feel she would be rather angry with me, so I decided to leave a letter for her on the table expressing my gratitude and my farewell.

“Dreamer? What's this?” Glitterlamp asked me holding my letter.

“It's a letter for Sapphire, would you put it back.” I said fastening the sheathe to my belt.

“I've never seen this language before. You sure she can read this?” She asked curiously. I slammed my hand into my forehead producing a louder slap then intended.

“I should've known that shouldn't have worked, I mean I can't read your script.” I sighed frustrated at myself. I grabbed a new piece of paper and held it out to Glitterlamp. “Could you write my thank you note?” I asked feeling like a small kid asking their parent to help them write a letter to a friend.

“Sure,” she responded, “just tell me what you want to say.” A quill wreathed in a light green aura hovered just above the paper. I cleared my throat and read from my note.

“Dear Sapphire Hoof, I wanted to say thank you for all you've done for me. I know you probably don't want to see me again and this I can understand. I'm taking the sword with me and the changeling. I sadly have nothing to give you in repayment for your kindness to me but I travel now to Appaloosa. If I don't see Trixie, could you tell her 'Thanks' for me? Thanks for summoning me here and tell her not to worry. Power will come to her when she needs it. Oh, contact me if she finds the whereabouts of the Alicorn Amulet.”

“OK, got it.” Glitterlamp said penning in the last sentence. “Is that all?” She asked.

“Yeah, nothing else comes to mind.” I said trying to think of more. I unwrapped the last of my bandages from my legs and threw them away. Soon I was ready to leave the house but the sun was still rising in the distance. “Where is the train station?” I asked quizzically I didn't really wander through the town but I never heard a train whistle the whole time here.

“In Ponyville if I remember correctly.” Glitterlamp answered after a moment. “But it's still like really early you know; just calm down we'll get there.” I sighed and tried to calm my nerves.

“I'm just nervous is all.” I thought tiredly rubbing my eyes.

“Going to new places is kinda scary but I think you can do it.” She said encouragingly. I smiled since she didn't know she was really hearing my thoughts, I probably should tell her about it though.

“Glitterlamp, I didn't say anything.” I told her gently a small smile grew on my face.

“Of course you did, how else did I know you're nervous?” Glitterlamp snorted at me with a half grin on her face. “Too early for tricks, OK?”

“Really, watch my lips.” I said with a hint of humor. She turned her gaze to me with an arched eyebrow.

“So how are you feeling?” I asked arching an eyebrow. Glitterlamp's eyes shot up and then she bounced up and down on the couch excitedly.

“Oh, wow that is so COOL!” She exclaimed clicking her hooves together. “Say something else!” She waved a hoof for me to continue.

“A random bandandum.” I smiled wider rolling my eyes at her as she squeed at the sensation.

“How can you do that?” She asked still excited at this new ability. I shrugged and relaxed into the couch.

“I don't know, I thought I could do this with Trixie but it didn't work with her. Is it because you went deeper into my head? So that it made a stronger connection with you? Or can other ponies hear me now too?” I speculated out loud.

“Dunno, like I said yesterday: I heard way too many stories of what humans can or can't do. So I can't tell you all that much, but this is so cool!” She said only calming down a little bit. “Did you eat anything yet?” She asked me.

“Yeah, finished the strawberry cake and almond cookies, I think it was almond at least, but yeah. All gone.” I said stood up to wander around the house biding my time.

“I would visit Trixie but I rally have no idea where she works at, only at some rock farm. What's a rock farm anyway?” I pondered.

“Um, wow that's a simple one. A rock farm is trying to find gems in rocks, don't you have some in your world?” Glitterlamp said it patiently but I still felt a bit of 'wow, you're dense' from it.

“Yeah, maybe having you privy to all of my thoughts is going to be annoying. Too bad I don't know how to turn it off.” I thought looking less than pleased. She smiled smugly at me seeing the advantage over me. “Don't grin just yet, I can kinda read your feelings now. Soon I'll be able to read your thoughts,” I thought mischievously, “oh, forewarning: not all of my thoughts are pleasant.” I added sincerely.

She stuck her tongue out at me playfully. I stuck mine out in response feeling a little better, she seemed to know how to lighten the mood. A bell sounded distantly signaling seven o` clock. Glitterlamp looked sourly at me and I saw that she really didn't want to go walking around. I stood up and blew the candle out ready to go back to Ponyville.

“Are you sure you want to go now? I mean you dressed yourself back in those rags. You look like a wreck in them.” Glitterlamp argued. It was true I had to rescue my ruined clothes from the trash bin. However these were my only clothes I had, they held sentimental value now in this new world.

“I'd rather be in these 'rags' than nothing at all.” I informed her not wanting to be rid of them. “It won't be that bad Glitter, c`mon if we start early we might be able to catch an evening train.” I said encouragingly. She changed her appearance again to a pale blue unicorn with gray hair with vibrant strips or color laced through her mane. I said my farewells to Icecube when he came to greet me and I felt bad when he started to cry. I got him to stop crying when I told him where I was going and he vowed to visit me someday.

“How dare you show yourselves around here! Do you want to run me out of this town too!” I heard Trixie declare rather loudly. “The Great and Powerful Trixie does not have the time to deal with you neighsayers!”

“Face it Trixie!” A brash voice rebuked her. “You're nothing but smoke and mirrors!” I was glad that Trixie was in town today but her tone made me think her foes had followed her here. I ran toward the source of the noise and found myself looking at a showdown between Trixie and the six ponies from the other day! But some of them looked like they'd rather stay out of it. The rainbow haired one was at the front of the crowd staring down Trixie threateningly. Time was short and I could see Trixie shift her eyes nervously between the ponies. I know Trixie didn't really have anybody for her to count on except Sapphire and me. I ran to Trixie's side and gave the Rainbow haired pegasus a menacing glare.

“Go about your business and leave. Her. Alone.” I snarled at the Rainbow hair. She took to the air to be at eye level with me and zipped over to get in my face.

“Don't you know what-” She had begun to say but out of reflex I reared my head back and slammed it into hers with a resounding crack. She hit the ground and her friends jumped to her side to see if she was alright. She rubbed her head while a large lump was already forming on her head, my head only hurt a little bit but I tried not to show it.

“Don't get that close to me.” I snarled at her. I turned to Trixie, who was standing a little straighter now, to see if she was hurt. I didn't see any obvious injury so I gave her a comforting grin before returning my attention back to the ponies.

“Why'd you do that you big meanie! To think we tried to apologize to you!” The horrid pink monster yipped at me. I only glared at it in response and looked at the purple unicorn, what was its name? Twilight, I think.

“It was a reflex but she needs to learn something called 'personal space' I hope the lesson was clear.” I said through clenched teeth.

“How dare you!” The white unicorn wailed at me. “You, you brute! You should be ashamed of yourself!” I probably shouldn't have snapped at these creatures but the image of Trixie injured in the rain while I rushed her to Sapphire's house made my blood boil. I glared at the white unicorn when the mellow yellow pegasus mumbled something I shifted my gaze and she scampered behind the pony in a cowboy hat.

“Don't mock people you don't understand. I know Trixie can be pretty arrogant and hard to be around with.” I stated barely controlling myself at this point. “But she did manage to cast a spell that none of you could. Trixie. Summoned. Me, a Human! From your myths and legends!” I declared to the gathering crowd then met each of their eyes giving each a hard look at each of them only Rainbow returned the glare.

“It ain't righ` hittin` others, didn't ya mother teach ya that much.” The cowboy hat scolded me. I twisted my stiff neck releasing a series of pops from my neck and returned my gaze to her. I probably shouldn't have hit the Rainbow hair, but it's called a reflex for a reason.

“Like I said, reflex.” I said with a toothy grin and waved a hand dismissively. “Haven't you ever defended one of your friends before?” I asked with a cruel wry smile.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie thanks you for your assistance but Trixie had everything under control.” Trixie stated confidently. I merely shook my head at her, she couldn't fool me.

“Don't get ahead of yourself.” I said low enough for her to hear me. The crowd begun whispering amongst themselves and I realized the crowd was a bit bigger than before still gathering more eyes to look on.

“Crit! I didn't want an audience! Don't they have anything better to do! Better end this now.” I thought bitterly trying to think of something to cut this whole thing short.

“We don't need to act like this! Either of you! Let's start this over, we only saw Trixie here, nothing but a few sore words was exchanged.” Twilight exclaimed then went to explain. “We weren't going to fight with Trixie. We were only coming back from visiting relatives here. No need to be acting this way.”

“I did say I am protective of what few friends I do have, didn't I?” I stated glaring at Rainbow looking for a way out and back to Sapphire's house.

“Doesn't give you the right! Don't you know what Trixie has done! Huh, Human!” Rainbow exclaimed harshly as if the word “human” was an insult.

“Enlighten me, I dare you.” I said reflexively feeling a tension grow in the air.

“Enough-” Twilight began to say but Rainbow started in on her tirade.

“She caused a fire and sent several ponies to the hospital! She wrecked half the town with the same spell, all for attention! And if she did summon you, why didn't you appear next to her!” She yelled pointing a hoof accusingly at Trixie then me. I glared at Rainbow with anger rising in me, I wanted to pull myself away but I couldn't.

“Oh, like you know how magic friggin works! Didn't you know power comes at a price! Sometimes at the price is the caster's health!” I snapped at her with a growl in the back of my throat. They all looked shocked and horrified at the notion of a painful spell but Twilight seemed the most affected and I could see the cogs whirling to say something to combat the statement.

“And you have magic? Then where's your horn!” Rainbow hair countered snidely.

“I've had enough of your mouth, WRETCH!” I thought savagely resisting the urge to strike at Rainbow. A figure came galloping quickly and with a single glance I knew it was Glitterlamp in disguise however something was amiss.

“Michael she ain't worth it! Don't do it! Calm down!” She cried out then she turned to the group and yelled at them. “If you aren't here to fight then leave already!” She then lifted a hoof and smacked my hand that had been death gripping the hilt of Fearbane.

Realization struck me like a lightening bolt and quenched my heart in ice before I abruptly turned from them escorting/pushing Trixie to Sapphire's house. I didn't say a single thing to anypony while keeping a grim determined look until we were inside Sapphire's house. After I ushered my companions in did I shut the door, bolting it for good measure. Like a sack of potatoes I fell to my knees and stared into the floorboards. My face felt like wax except for my eyes which stretched ever wider as if to become windows; shock laced my mind like sand over a meal.

“What was I about to do!? Was I really going to kill them!?” I breathed and shook heavily like a kitten soaked to the bone from the storm. My dad had always told me to never get into fights at school; He himself got into fights but trouble always came after him. My size kept me out of fights but Dad always warned me anyway, only recently he told me why to stay out fights.

“Michael, if you're anything like me and I believe you are. In every fight I ever fought I would've happily beaten them to death but either their friends or a teacher always stopped me. But you're bigger than I was, they might not be able to stop you as easily, so promise me you won't fight.” I was a bighearted giant amongst my peers at school and the school had a anti-bully policy that my Dad's school didn't have. That doesn't mean I was liked either, I was an odd ball when I was younger but I never came closer than killing someone in rage than right then.

“The Fear-Beasts were different! They were like demons! Those ponies weren't!! And I almost killed them!!” I sat there shaking on my knees as I brought my hand up to cover my right eye. My insides felt like they were tossed into a blender then turned to the highest setting available.

“Trixie thanks you, Michael, but I had that under control.” Trixie stated firmly. I glared at her, my mind an incoherent whirlwind of voices, pictures, feelings and trying to put a lid on it all.

“Then why did you even allow them to see you?!” I shot back looking at her with my left eye. “I tried to stand up for you anyway because I knew no one else would!” Trixie bit her lip but looked over at Glitterlamp

“Who's this?” Trixie asked trying to change the subject with her usual air of command.

“I'm Michael's friend. You must be the Great and Powerful Trixie that he told me about.” Glitterlamp greeted Trixie excitedly, I wasn't sure if it was sincere or flattery. Trixie flashed a flawless set of white teeth and straiten her hat.

“Of course Michael told you about the Great and Powerful Trixie! He'd be a fool not too. I summoned him after all,” Trixie declared proudly, “But who are you?” she asked again.

“Springdew,” she said offhandedly. “I met Michael on the road here, he helped me get here safely after I've met some misfortune.” Glitterlamp said smoothly. Listening to the pleasant exchange of introductions helped me focus and reign in my mind, it still was jumbled but I think it was caused by Fearbane's power. Yes, a friend of mine was in trouble but not in true danger. I tilted the blade to stare angrily into it's gem like eye. But I had no idea how to communicate to the blade, or if Fearbane was really to blame.

“I have to get a better grip on myself, I usually avoid those encounters really easy!” I thought scolding myself for my behavior. “Hey Glitter, thanks for snapping me out of that. I'm usually better than that, honest.” I thought apologetically. Glitterlamp made a slight nod in my direction receiving my message. I stood up and pushed my unkempt hair out of my eyes brushing my clothes off, I looked at Trixie and smiled weakly.

“Heya Trixie, I wanted to see you before I left town.” I started still recovering from the shock. Trixie looked at me with a raised eyebrow from her baggy eyes. “I wanted to thank you, Trixie, for summoning me to this world. I'm leaving today for Appaloosa, thought you would want to know.” I said regaining my old composure with time. “So how was the rock farm, I haven't seen you for a few days.” I asked innocently. Trixie's smile turned into a scowl in an instant making me regret the question.

“You're welcome, and the job was horrible! I had to use my magic to do something as mundane as breaking rocks with a hammer! I spend a large portion of the day chipping rocks and when I do get home I'm too tired to practice my tricks! So that's what I do: eat breakfast, break rocks and go to bed!!” Trixie stamped on the floor emphasizing her anger toward the job. “The owner is nice enough to let me use a spare house that his kids used as a playhouse. I just wish it was bigger.” She said deflating a little bit but not by much. “But it's nice that you let ponies know who brought you to this world.” She smiled at Glitterlamp/Springdew happily.

“Sorry, to hear that.” I said feeling a little bummed not getting a 'thanks' for standing up to her yet. “Have you found the Alicorn Amulet yet?” I asked simply.

“Not yet, but I think I know where it is.” Trixie said with a hint of accomplishment. “The store is pretty far from here so it will be a while before I go there.”

“Good, when you do find it contact me before actually touching the thing. This sword was supposed to be Sombra's weakest object, it would be embarrassing if you get possessed by his strongest trinket. Safety in numbers and all that.” I said still can't quite shake the feeling from earlier. Trixie merely waved a hoof dismissively with a knowing grin.

“I've gotten better, stronger even, than last time. I think I'll be alright. Trust Trixie.” Trixie said to my growing displeasure, she should have an appreciation of the inherent dangers of these dark relics. “Alas, Trixie is far too tired to entertain guests. I go to rest now, good luck at Appaloosa, Michael.” Trixie did an extravagant bow and with a flick of her mane she walked upstairs leaving the two of us in silence.

“That was pretty cool meeting Trixie, she looks just like the picture. She must be pretty powerful indeed.” Glitterlamp said thoughtfully as Trixie climbed the stairs.

“I suppose the 'Good luck' is as close as a 'thank you' I'll get from her. She's alright if a bit arrogant by human standards.” I shrugged but the thought made Glitterlamp look at me funny like I roared like a lion or something.

“Are you alright? That last one sounded, off.” Glitterlamp asked looking me over curiously.

“I'll be fine, thanks again for snapping me back to attention.” I wondered how I sounded to her at this point. Glitterlamp looked assured then pretty mad.

“What were you thinking back there! I know what you said earlier about your thoughts n` all but all I could hear was like,” she paused a moment, “like black scribbles and anger like a thousand wolves howling! I normally understand your thoughts and emotions but this one caught me off-guard,” She scolded me in a whisper-shout not wanting to wake Trixie. “Did you even know who that was! I can't believe I didn't realize earlier! That unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, was the one that defeated Queen Chrysalis! She's extraordinarily powerful and you hit one of her friends! She and her friends hold the Elements of Harmony themselves!!” I could feel panic and anxiety roll off of her as her words sounded more of what she felt as she spoke. Every word she uttered only confirmed my own failings at handling the situation and controlling myself, I swear I could hear a hoarse laugh but like from the bottom of a well. “Pay attention!” Glitterlamp stamped on my foot sending a lash of pain through my leg. I glared at her angrily into her eyes barring my teeth, a volatile mixture of emotions was already bubbling inside of me threatening to rip me apart.

“What!? What more do you have to say! I messed up big time! I get that!! What are you getting at!” I mentally shouted enough to cause her to take a few steps backs holding her head.

“I was only trying to make you see what the situation really is! We really need to get far away from her as possible! She alone ruined my Queen! She could ruin you too just as easily!” She snarled back.

“Very well. Let's get to Appaloosa then. Hopefully we can still catch a train today.” I tried to think more gently but she still flinched. She nodded and headed for the door with new found urgency.


Glitterlamp relaxed once we got out of town and narrowly avoided Twilight's group but I could feel a vague sense of worry when we approached the Everfree forest road.

“Aren't you worried about those wolves attacking?” She asked me forcefully.

“Yep, and I've thought about what I'd do in response.” I stated grimly giving Glitterlamp a few images of hacked up Timbers. “Relax, we'll be fine. We're no longer easy targets now and I'd rather deal with them than Twilight; if she is as strong as you describe her.” I said soothingly. She relaxed a little but was still uneasy. The walk took longer than what I remember when I first went this way, oh right! I ran most of this way, memory is a fickle servant indeed. The forest was calm and birds sang various songs from simple bird chirps to organized choruses. I still felt scattered around inside about this morning and to top it off I snapped at Glitter.

“Sorry about earlier, didn't mean to mind blast you.” I apologized meekly.

“Why do you keep saying 'sorry' all the time?” Glitterlamp sighed frustratedly. “I don't apologize for every little mistake I do, do I?” I nodded respectively still feeling a little off balanced with things.

“Still,” I persisted, “if we are to travel together we shouldn't have any bad feelings between us.”

“We only just started this walk, can't we have any silence for a while.” Glitterlamp huffed at me.

“I will if you tell me how to turn this thing off.” I thought sarcastically at Glitterlamp which earned me an awkward, dagger glare.

“I guess it didn't work.” She sighed mumbling something under her breath, was she trying to mind blast me?

“Alright, new question and subject altogether: who is Twilight Sparkle? And why should she be feared? She seems kinda normal to me. . . correction: she seems normal for this world.” I asked twisting my neck and releasing a series of pops. Glitterlamp stared at me seeming to gauge to tell me or not.

“I was there when she overthrew Chrysalis, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor were the ones who delivered the blow but Twilight was the pawn that set it all in motion. Twilight herself may not be singularly powerful but her actions can bring down even the mightiest of creatures.” She explained with a hint of fearful reverence, it was clear to me that it was an uncomfortable subject. “She holds and shapes fate as if it's sand! I haven't read or heard of a single foe she faced that she did not ruin. Hitting her friend may have already sealed your fate.” She added with worry looking nervously over her shoulder.

“Really? Well hopefully she isn't the vengeful type to track me down and kill me then.” I answered scratching the grime filled, oily mass of hair covering my head.

“Gah! How do you keep your hair clean!?” I thought wiping my hand on my pants in disgust.

“Well, I take a shower.” Glitterlamp answered me bluntly. “There was one in Sapphire's house you know.”

“Where? I didn't see one.” I shot back flinching and regretting at my near hostile tone.

“Never mind.” Glitterlamp said returning the tone.

The forest became more familiar to me when I passed the place where we were attacked by those Timbers. Glitterlamp shuddered at the thought along with me and I laughed out loud.

“What's so funny? I didn't think those Wolves were very funny!” Glitterlamp demanded from me.

“It's not that, we had the same reaction at the same time. It's kinda of a funny coincidence where I'm from.” I explained trying to cheer up Glitterlamp. She rolled her eyes at me and looked around at out surroundings. I took the hint and didn't talk for a while but tried to focus on the walk to Ponyville. The air was much cooler earlier however the sun rose steadily into the sky and with it came the rising heat. A stiff breeze blew against my face playing with the shreds that dangled off my shirt. The scent of clean air and flowers filled my nose causing me to sneeze frequently since I had gotten so used to the grime laced, chemical saturated air of my city I took residency in.

I enjoyed being out in the open like this, despite my body aching from the walk but it was a pleasant ache much like going home from the pool than anything else. The beauty of the dark forest only a arms length away triggered several memories of video games and stories that revolved around settings similar to this.

“Don't you dare go off in there and leave me here, we're going to Appaloosa remember?” Glitterlamp said firmly dragging me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah, I know that. Just taking in the surroundings is all.” I replied distracted by a butterfly easily three times than the ones back on earth. “Whoa!”

“Oh by Luna's starry cape, it's just a bug!” Glitterlamp chastised me. I rolled my eyes and tried to focus again but this time I was trying to feel Glitterlamp's feelings. It worked when we were touching or really close together but having it available at a distance would be nice. It was like trying to find something I've never seen before but needed to find it anyway. I felt a faint buzz somewhere near me and figured I was getting closer. The closer I got the more anxious I got, laced with fear and worry, I could almost hear the rustle of the underbrush. A distant but clear sound made us both jump and my hand darted to the hilt of Fearbane. A second note rang through the forest followed then left the woods in silence, it took me a moment to realize that it was only a clock tower.

“Are we that close to Ponyville?” I thought vaguely feeling a little silly forgetting that a clock tower made me jump. I laughed as loudly as I could since it was just absurd but making Glitterlamp jump almost out of her skin.

“Don't do that!” She yelled at me but I kept my smile to look confident.

“Relax! I can feel your feelings and it's making me feel kinda crummy. Laugh! It'll do you good!” I encouraged but earned a sour look. “Predatory animals don't like hunting healthy prey, so if we're loud and obnoxious the wolves will stay away.” I said patiently explaining my tactic.

“Well, worked on Earth at least.” I thought as an after thought. Glitterlamp's wide eyes didn't have the gleam of wonder nor confidence.

“That's real comforting!” Her voice shook a little bit. “We'll be telling the whole forest where we are if we do that!” A valid point and one which I didn't dismiss but her fear didn't make sense.

“Can't you use magic?” I asked with an disbelieving tone.

“Of course I can! I know you can't!” She countered, OK that hurt. I really wanted magic and it bugged me not having any, but having her rub it in my face? No chance.

“Then shoot the Wolves with magic daggers to kill them, light them on fire, or freeze them solid, make the ground impale them on a stone spike, can't you?!” I snapped angrily back and felt something like a dagger stab me in the heart. The hurt and sad look on her face wasn't what made me fall down but it was the feeling that came from her. A memory slammed into the forefront of my mind of when I Dream Walked with Glitterlamp the first time. She and her mother had been casting magic at each other but I didn't get to see the end of it. I was gasping at the ground trying to recover from the sudden emotion assault, the lash was still stinging when the moment passed. Glitterlamp merely stood there looking down on me with split feelings of betrayed hurt and concern.

“I went too far with that, I forgot that your world isn't anything like my world. I'm sorry,” I said firmly, picking myself off the ground. My head was still whirling but I couldn't shake the last image of magical bolts sailing toward Glitterlamp's mom. I wanted to talk to her but my mouth became sealed shut as if I stitched my own lips, but the question came forth anyway.

“You, did use magic as a weapon didn't you? Against your. . .” My thoughts became painfully clear and Glitterlamp's eyes hardened into a glare.

“Yeah, I did. I killed my own mother, bet you wanna know why now, don't you? Just remember that I can do it again.” She spoke coldly but the fear and pain poured off of her like a siren.

“She was the one behind Fritter's death. I saw it, but not how it ended.” I admitted which made Glitterlamp flinch and take a step toward me head lowered a little bit, her horn glowing. I wasn't sure if what I was feeling was really mine or Glitterlamp's but I felt absolutely terrible. “I understand, She killed Fritter. She was dangerous and deserved to be killed.” I knelt down to get to eye level with Glitterlamp and continued making my mental words as clear as I could. “I'm sure she wouldn't have even blinked twice to do the same again. She, at that point, had more in common with a Timber Wolf than she had with you.” I reached out almost to call out to her. “I don't see you any differently because of it; we all of demons within us, some dance better with them than others. For now, you need a hug.”

Glitterlamp embraced me and cried as the long buried memory finally broke free. Tears were brought to my own eyes as the dagger in my heart squirmed violently in harmony with the sorrow pouring from her. The loss of a lifelong friend and mother struck me with each sob, the terror and embarrassment of being found out. Underneath the torrent of tears, sobs, the breeze playing with her hair I felt a warmth from within my chest expand. I hoped that she felt this warmth as well.

“Ar-aren't you afraid that,” she heaved between sobs. “That I won't do the same to you? I did that out of anger! And she was the one that raised me!” Even though she spoke harshly her grip didn't loosen.

“No, I'm not afraid. I know you're better than that. I can feel your heart, and it's bleeding just remembering that, I don't think you'll do that just by getting mad.” I spoke soothingly rubbing her back.

“Why can't I be like you?” She whispered crying softly into the side of my head. “Nothing touches you, you seem so distant to what happens around you. I don't know anypony who just takes a whole pack of Timber Wolves on, and you don't even complain about having too!” I smirked when I heard her little confession.

“Distant huh, how's that?” I asked trying to get her to calm down.

“You don't change your face, it just doesn't, as if it's made of wood or something.” Her voice still wobbled a little bit. For once I felt at peace with myself and felt something inside of me feel just a little less empty. I was the first to reluctantly break the embrace and brushed a tear away from her eye before standing up.

“Let's go, we still got a train to catch.” I said smiling pleasantly. “Things are going to be better.” My left shoulder looked like someone dropped a water balloon on it but I didn't mind one bit. The walk felt more relaxed and soothing like a stroll through a forest as it should. Even when we got to the darkest and thickest part of the EverFree forest the birds chirped their little hearts out in song.

“I've always heard that birds will go quite if predators are around. I'm not sure if it's true but all the places I've camped at didn't have such bold animals that would attack people.” I commented passing a large flamboyant, long tail-feathered bird singing some song that made Glitterlamp grin a little bit. The air was cool and a pleasant change from the sun slanting at just the right angle to stab my eyes out with its fingers.

When we emerged from the forest the sun was perched a little bit behind us. It's true that the walk left us tired but that only made the prospect of a train ride all the more pleasing. We barely got into town before I heard something way too familiar!

“LOOK OUT!” I could only imagine it was from the little pony that owned a scooter. This time around I saw the trio hurtling at me at least. Ba-bump, I flung my arm out pushing Glitterlamp back from stepping out in front of the scooter but I was still in the way. Ba-bump, I slid my feet to the left of the oncoming scooter which was already frantically braking but would collide anyway. Ba-bump, I hopped a little more to left but the scooter was almost upon me and I didn't have enough time to really move. Ba-bump! The sudden move of my hop set me off balance making my right arm strike out to correct it, my hip was out of the way but my upper half leaned over the passing wide eyed fillies as they sailed past me. I guess if I looked from another perspective it looked like I bended around the scooter having it sail right pass me when it should have had hit.

Then I firmly and uncontrollably hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I laid there and thought exactly what happened since I acted almost on impulse and instinct alone.

“Oh please don't dead mister!” A worried voice pleaded to me.

“Oh, I'm not. I'm part of the Random Floor Inspection Committee.” I said to the dirt while attempting at some humor to make the kid feel better. I pushed myself off the ground and onto my knees and looked at the small pegasus with a helmet. “Missed me that time, kid.” I spread a devilish grin across my face. I reached out and patted the flinching pony who was already spouting apologies like a water fountain. “It's OK, really. It was a close call that time, no worries!” I said trying to calm down the little filly. Her friends came rushing over as I stood up brushing the dirt off my clothing bombarding me with questions.

“How d'ya do that?” The little Texan accent asked.

“That was like super cool!” Exclaimed the little white unicorn her voice cracking once. Glitterlamp trotted on over and looked at them then at me.

“You know him?” Glitterlamp asked.

“Yeah, course they do. They were able to crash into me last time, like what, a day or so before I met you?” I started trying to remember exactly how long I was out. “Anyway, nice seeing you three again and don't drive that fast in town.” I told them unable to actually be cross with them.

“Where you going?” The pegasus asked me. I waved at the gathering eyes dismissively showing I was OK. Glitterlamp looked at each of the three fillies skeptically but with a wide grin.

“How did they manage to get you so hurt?” She asked almost at the same time.

“OK, ok. One at a time,” I looked to the pegasus, “Appaloosa. And for you,” I turned to Glitterlamp still looking confused. “The scooter hit me pretty hard and clipped my leg pretty bad. I won't go into too much detail since I don't remember it all anyway.” I finished then turned back to the small orange pegasus. “Did you have a hard time repairing or replacing your scooter?” I asked quizzically.

“Oh, no it wasn't hard at all! Twilight is really good at helping everypony,” the pegasus said then the little unicorn asked.

“Wasn't Rarity supposed to visit you since you were hurt? And where is she now? And how are you better so soon?!” She asked looking me up and down as if she wasn't sure I was really there.

“I had a healing potion,” I said simply. “As for Rarity, I left town before she did. She might be back later today.” I said trying to mask my irritation of being reminded of the days earlier events. “Anyway tell'em I said 'Hello' for me, would you?” I grinned imagining what their faces would be like. “Name's Michael if you forgot, see ya later!” They said their goodbyes and loaded back up onto their little red wagon and zipped down the street narrowly avoiding ponies all along the way.

“You didn't even ask them where the train station is?” Glitterlamp sounded like she was about to laugh. I felt like a pan landed on my head and the trio were already a distant dot going over a hill.

“Nope.” I said bluntly unable to believe that I forgot about that little detail. Glitterlamp shook her head laughing to herself.

“It shouldn't be that hard, town's not that big after all.” She said going down the street waving a hoof at me to hurry up. She was right but I suspect that she had a sixth sense of direction because within minutes I stood under the shaded platform of the train station. Glitterlamp spoke to an older pony inside a booth which provided both information and pamphlets to various vacation sites.

“Good news Dreamer,” Glitterlamp trotted over cheerfully. “There is one more train for this evening. But it should be in station by eight o` clock, we just missed the afternoon one a while ago.” She stared out to the train tracks with distant excitement. “Hope you brought something to pass the time, we got about three hours to go.”

“Not that long,” I said disappointed that we couldn't have arrived earlier, not that I regretted what happened on the walk or anything. I sat down and plastered a smile to my face but I didn't think Glitterlamp was fooled even for a moment. “I need to sit down anyway. My legs feel sore now that I stopped moving them.” I chuckled rubbing my legs.

“I think I saw a spa on the way here, might wanna check it out.” Glitterlamp said while sitting down next to me. The bench was at the right height for her but was way too short for me, like they made it for kindergarten.

“With what money?” I asked sourly, money simply wasn't exactly my strong point and being teleported to this world didn't help. Glitterlamp laughed quietly to herself and put a reassuring hoof on my shoulder.

“What? Do you really think that Equestria runs on Bits alone?” Glitterlamp smiled slyly. “I am a business mare after all, let me tell you something about how Bits actually work.” Her smile broadened since this was something she was apparently good at. “Bits are only really used when you can't offer anything else in return, like a skill or doing them a favor but it's almost always needed when placing a long distance purchases. Food doesn't travel well in the mail, as you might've guessed.” Her voice was suave and velvety with a persuasive flare, I had a pretty good feeling that if I actually wanted to argue her I'd lose anyway. “And a trip to the Spa might do you some good, dirt really stands out on your coat.” She commented like it wasn't a big deal. “I also don't want to sit on a hard bench the whole time while waiting for a train.”

“OK! You convinced me, we just need to keep an eye on time.” I relented already a warm bath and soap sounded awesome right now. “Besides I don't have a coat, I have skin.” I ruffled her mane while standing up. “OK, I'll follow you, Silver Tongue.” I added on a whim.

“Silver?” Glitterlamp arched an eyebrow at me. “What?” She asked plainly confused.

“It means you're a smooth talker, persuasive.” I explained without hesitation. We both ended up laughing at everything and nothing I guess it was the stress of the day leaving us, just like the rays of day fading in the distance.

A quick stroll though town and we found the Spa, it was pretty: the letters I couldn't read were flowing like vines ending in half opened flowers.

“C`mon! I went to one of these in Canterlot and it was amazing!” Glitterlamp gave me a light shove and disappeared into the building's doors. I walked in and was hit with a wave of scented soaps and a generally clean but friendly building. The colors and floral design in everything really looked like it came straight from a carefully thought out painting. The lights were present but subdued so no light was actually in my eyes while still providing enough to see clearly. The humidity also increased just by stepping into the door, much like an indoor pool. In response to this sudden beauty and art: I sneezed three times in rapid succession due to the intense aroma.

Once my head stopped pounding from sneezing my brains out I saw Glitterlamp talking to an elaborately dressed mare. The desk mare shook her head but her eyes widened as Glitterlamp made a bouquet of lifelike flowers out of a pile of fancy napkins. I didn't really understand what happened next but when I was being ushered into the Spa by a pair of mares. My tattered clothes were deftly and swiftly removed, if it weren't for a close by towel rack I think I would've died of embarrassment. I was led to a table and was motioned to lay down, I looked back at her with a less than friendly look.

“Relax Michael, this is first time at a Spa I think,” she spoke to the mare with a laughing tone in her voice, “it'll be alright. Just unwind, oh! We need to leave here before eight, K?” The mare smiled and nodded. I found it odd that she didn't say anything but then I noticed that she didn't have a horn so she had to carry a small tub of bottles and other Spa related materials in her mouth. I gripped the towel firmly as I walked toward a large bathtub fixture in the center of the room. The aroma in the room was intoxicating but pleasant making me feel giddy and relaxed. The water was very warm and soothing to my sore body, I think they added something to the aroma because my head feels all sorts of fuzzy and thinking was becoming difficult. What followed after was a little blurry only because it all felt so freaking GOOD! The massage was amazing however my back kept responding to the treatment by sounding like a bag of breaking glass.

“Keep going! That last pop felt great! Try using a little more oomph!” I remember myself saying through the fuzz of comfort then a hoof came down on my back hard breaking a knot of pain in my back but releasing the nastiest pop I've ever heard. My back was broken down from a pillar of discomfort to putty in the mares not-so-tender hooves, not that I really minded at this point.

I was already missing the Spa when we left their care. Glitterlamp couldn't stop from looking at me then turning her head away to stifle a laugh.

“What? What's so funny?” I asked being in a laughing mood anyway.

“You actually fell asleep in there!” Glitterlamp bursted hardly holding it in. “I know I told you it felt great but I didn't think it felt that great. The mare that took care of you kept coming over to me all flustered asking me all kinds of things!” She had to stop to laugh even harder and had to take a moment to breathe. “What are the things at the ends of his hoofs! What is he!? Why does his back sound like that!? And like a million other things! And you were sleeping!! Your mind was all fuzzy like a little pillow!” I laughed along with her despite my embarrassment and more out of the fact I fell asleep to some mare pulverizing my back!

“We had a really long walk! But I feel great now!” I laughed along with her all the way to the train station. She told me that after making more of those fake flowers they fixed and cleaned up my clothes, although I don't remember dressing. My face flushed deeply at the very thought of having another living creature see my bare carcass.

A few street lamps lit by an inner fire illuminated the tracks and a few of the benches. I felt refreshed and the evening air was pleasant to the touch. In the distance I could hear a train's horn a ways off but I could see the light coming around the bend of a small hill. Within moments the most artistic train rolled into the station, no two cars were alike. It was hard for me to imagine how these things could be manufactured easily if every car was so unique; where humans aim for efficiency, ponies aim for beauty and creativity.

“Hold up!” A voice squeaked. I turned to see the trio from earlier come skidding to a stop before us each wearing a cape. The orange one was heaving against the steering bar trying to catch her breath while the red headed filly had a small box tucked under her foreleg. While the white unicorn pulled out a long scroll and held it out for the other to read.

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders wanted to officially apologize for sending you to the hospital, please accept this present as a sign of good will and, what's that word Sweetie Belle?” Sweetie Belle sighed and looked at the word for a moment.

“Just give him the present already! It's getting late you know!” The orange pegasus exclaimed exhausted and glancing nervously at the shadows. The trio snapped into a small bickering bunch and as fast as it happened, it ended.

“Please accept our apologies!” The trio cried out holding the small plain box up. Both Glitterlamp and I laughed lightly at the unexpected show.

“What is this? Like, the third time you've said sorry to me? Relax I won't haunt you or anything,” I teased, “but I humbly accept your apology and gift.” I added making a small bow. “Shouldn't you be in bed at this time?” I asked impishly.

“Yeah!” The Cutie Mark Crusaders cried out in unison and hopped into their wagon to zip down the sidewalk.

“All aboard!” A strong voice rang out through the evening verging to twilight.

“C`mon the train is here!” Glitterlamp broke me out of my thoughts and dashed to the train which ponies departed from. A bunch of I could only guess as a crew of stallions switched with a new team, night shift I suppose. I calmly boarded the train which was almost too short for me because my hair brushed the top of the car, I guess it's pretty big for pony standards. The seating was no better off and the beds were surprisingly substantial but I was still convinced I would be sleeping in the hallway. “Pretty cozy in here isn't it?” She asked and I looked around to what she was gesturing but it was still the living space.

“Kinda small.” I said disappointed.

“You're just huge!” She countered. “Well, it's not exactly Canterlot Rails but it's nice.” She commented examining bed sheets. The train was almost pulled out of a cartoon, bright cheery colors accented by darker, earthier colors but the design was the most bizarre thing about it all. I dug into the plain box to see what the Cutie Mark Crusaders wanted me to have, even then I hesitated to even open the box.

“I should've protested to accepting the gift, they didn't owe me anything.” I sighed and rubbed the lid thoughtfully.

“And make them feel terrible because their gift wasn't good enough?” Glitterlamp rolled her eyes at me. “Just open it, I'm curious to see what it is!”

“I suppose you're right.” I consented pulling the lid off and looked down at a cowboy hat, it felt flexible but stiff just like a leather hat would. “A cowboy hat.” It was all I could think of.

The hat had a considerably wider brim than any hat I saw back on Earth. I flattened out the little curves at the end to get more shading area, didn't want my shoulders left out of the shade. A metal wire was in the brim to help with the shaping, the hat itself had a small scene impressed into it. Flowers and ponies having fun adorned the part where the head would fit and could be seen by anyone looking upon it, in my case only creatures flying above me could see it. It fit decently although it wanted to slide down a little, a little bit of fabric stitched into it and it would fit almost perfectly.

It seemed like we were the only ones to enter the car as the train lurched forward to Appaloosa. The room of the neighboring passenger car looked like a small restaurant complete with booths and small tables in the corners. Small lamps threw soft, pale yellow light all over the compartment giving it an almost surreal effect, almost like the compartment was smaller on the outside somehow. Glitterlamp was looking at an odd cabinet with elegant, gold, scroll like writing in the glass.

“Sweet,” she pulled out an apple pie out of the cupboard then turned to me. “They're doing a promotional stunt to help tourism for Appaloosa, first pie is free. If we want more we'll have to wait `till we're in town.” I nodded my head in agreement and eyed the pie hungrily. We both sat in a booth looking at the pie, the silver ware was already set at the tables expecting a full house that never came.

“I can't recall if you've told me already or not: can you actually eat food?” I asked Glitterlamp as I served her the first piece.

“Not really, it tastes fine but it doesn't do me any good. Like drinking only water.” She responded looking at the pie sadly. “I feed off of love, all changelings do.” A mixture of self loathing and sadness washed over my mind with the last words.

“You can live up to thirty days on water alone before you die,” I said out loud not really thinking as I served myself a slice of pie. “ Erm, that's what they told me at camp at least.” I said chuckling nervously as Glitterlamp only responded with a shocked look.

“How do you know that? How would you even find out!” She demanded suddenly looking unsure if she even wanted to find out.

“Well, I don't know how they found out but a lot of my world's medical knowledge has a pretty shady history.” I admitted taking a bite of pie. The pie although room temperature still melted in my mouth as the natural sweetness of this worlds apples combined with cinnamon made me space out for a while.

“But even if it doesn't do you any good, might do your nerves some good. Try some it's great!” I encouraged telepathically.

“Don't talk with your mou- right, not talking.” Glitterlamp started to correct me but just glared at me playfully and took a bite of her pie. The next few moments of pie was spent in silence as we massaged each others mind with just how good the pie was, it didn't last long under our ravenous assault. The exercise of mental speech was challenging but highly entertaining, she was able to decipher harder thoughts like textures, images and words. I, on the other hand, had a better understanding of what mood she was in and what the different moods might mean. Before long a small clock hung in the room chimed its song followed by a monotone bell.

“What? Eleven already?” Glitterlamp didn't want this game to end quite yet and I agreed with her.

“Do you think they'll wake us up if we oversleep?” I asked while rubbing her hoof on the table. She gave me a half grin but a 'I kinda doubt it' feel to it. “I'd rather not risk it, but it doesn't mean we have to stop our little mind games.” She laughed suddenly rocking back in forth as the sillies racked her body.

“But it sounds so evil when you put it that way!” She could barely get the sentence out before falling back into her contagious laughter. We got up to retire to bed, I opened the door and a sharp gust of wind stung at my eyes as we passed through the clicking `n clacking space between the cars.

“We must be bookin` if the wind is like that. Too bad we can't really see anything out there.” I said staring out at the inky darkness. Each of the bunks only had enough room for one, I didn't think I could even fit rolled up as tight as I could. I nabbed the pillow and blanket from one of the bunks and tried to get comfortable.

“What are you doing?” Glitterlamp asked from the top bunk.

“The beds are too small, you barely fit in that.” I pointed out, she probably had enough room though. The 'hallway' wasn't all that wide and the ever present noise of the train chugging, clanking, and shuddering would make sleep difficult. Glitterlamp's moods kept circulating between worry, sad, fear and some other moods I couldn't quite narrow down to a single word.

“Nope, can't sleep.” Glitterlamp suddenly announced and rolled out of the top bunk to land on me.

“OOF!” The air escaped from my lungs as she crashed on top of me and was filled with pain.

“Can't you get out of bunks normally!?” I lashed out since I couldn't breathe. Glitterlamp flinched at the rebuke and reshuffled herself to fit in the crook of my arm. “That hurt you know.” I mentally snarled but not with much strength. “The hall isn't that big either, back up into your bunk.” I commanded pointing at her bunk. Glitterlamp just snuggled me harder refusing to let go.

“But I just got comfy,” she mewled at me while giving off a soothing feeling. I raised an eye brow while narrowing my other eye trying to convey suspicion mentally.

“You just want to Dream Walk again don't you?” I mentally accused her playfully.

“What? Oh, is that what we're calling it?” She mused looking contemplative. “Might as well, Dream Walk is pretty catchy; then yes, I want to Dream Walk again. And you're pretty warm.” She cooed in my ear.

“Fine, we'll Dream again.” I said not having the strength to protest, I guess I won't have to worry about rolling around smacking my head on the walls. I lifted the blanket so she could wiggle in, I bopped her head gently when she was settled in,

“What was that for!?” She asked confused.

“You thunder crashing on me. It hurt.” I said trying to fall asleep. “Hush now, it's hard enough to sleep as it is.” Truthfully I've become used to the strange creatures presence, even at such a close proximity. Perhaps it was the mental connection? Feeling her mind constantly like background noise you don't notice until it's off. A small part of me worried if I was becoming attached to her, if love is what sustains her and she doesn't seem to be withering anymore. Is it then that she is flourishing under my care? I don't know what love feels like; apart from family love, maybe it isn't so different or it can't be mistaken as anything else. I mean, she more resembles a miniature horse and I can't even begin to fathom what I look like to her.

But what about my family? How would I convince them to believe in this strange world and how would I explain Glitter to them? What if I can't leave with her? What if I leave and this amazing ability dies? Would she die without me? Glitterlamp shook me gently and gazed at me with worry stricken eyes.

“What's wrong? Your mind is all sick and hurt feeling.” She asked searching my eyes. I patted her head and tried to control myself.

“Thinking about the future, what can be, what might be,” I began to list when her horn glowed washing my mind of my worries but I resisted. “These are things I need to think of, I understand you want to help.”

“Worry wart, everything will be alright.” She said then her horn glowed a little brighter and I found it hard to keep my eyes open let alone awake. I think I like falling asleep like this than being plagued by my own worried thoughts to sleep.