• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,904 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,904

Chapter 5 A Matter of Trust

Chapter 5

A Matter of Trust.

I dragged my boots through the town as my strength began to ebb away I barely noticed the ponies staring at me but I did hear a few of there passing whispers.

“Look at it! What do you think happened to it?”

“I don't know-”

“Looks like it picked a fight with something-”

A tiny teal pony got my attention.

“Hey, what happened to you?” I struggled to remember the foals name. It was. . . Cold Scrape? No. that's not it.

“It's me Icecube,” oh yeah that was it. “Don't you remember me? You helped me find my parents the other night.” That's right, I did that.

“Well, Ice, I went to Courage's Folly and and took this sweet sword from some monsters.” I said cheerfully while showing off the blade a little. “Careful, it's sharp at the edges.” I warned wearily. The other ponies heard this and almost ran for their lives!

“You're lying! No one comes out of that forest!” A pony accused me.

“I came,” I started annoyed that I was being stopped from a nice bed. “I saw,” I spoke with a little more force and stared each pony in the eye. “I slaughtered.” I finished indifferently leaving the pony a little more pale than before. “Anyway Ice, I am pretty tired. I'll be at going to bed soon, dancing with nightmares makes you lose sleep.” I stooped down to pat Icecube on the head and moved past him. I looked at my clothes and saw why they where whispering all around me: I was a freaking mess. Like someone buried me and thought better about and dug me back up just to run me through the mud. My jeans are slashed and torn and my shirt fared no better both stained with blood.

I found myself at Sapphires door just staring at it. My very blood seemed to be replaced with sand weighing my body down while slowing my thoughts to a sluggish crawl. I opened the door and fell unceremoniously onto the couch and fell asleep properly. No dreams visited me but I woke up to a Sapphire standing over me.

“Trixie told me what happened at Courage's Folly.” She said calmly. I blinked at Sapphire a few times before I understood what she said.

“Then you know about half of what happened.” I responded back still rubbing sleep out of my eyes. I sat up to let Sapphire sit down next to me her eyes were filled with concern and curiosity.

“Then tell me all of it.” A simple command really, more akin to a firm coaxing. I breathed in
gathering my thought to begin my tale when my stomach growled viciously like two boulders grinding against each other reminding me that I missed at least two meals to my adventure.

“Could I tell you over dinner or lunch, really any meal that has food with it, please?” I asked with an embarrassed grin. The tan unicorn smiled with a nod and disappeared into the kitchen off to prepare something. A familiar scent flouted into the room but only for a moment: fried eggs!? I thought she hated how that smelled, what happened while I was at that fort!?

I almost stepped on the sword I had dropped the blade next to the couch earlier. I picked up the blade and propped it thoughtfully in a corner. I kicked off my shoes and placed them near the blade as well. I flexed my toes enjoying the sense of freedom and grimacing at the all sores I had collected during my adventure. I stumbled into the kitchen and was the air was full of motion: a salad was being prepared while the table got set for three, pitcher of water poured itself while food dispersed itself. All of it cloaked in a tan magical field. The various floating objects floated around me as I sat myself down and marveled at the magic flowing through the air.

“So, I thought you hate the smell of eggs. I mean you practically threw me out of the house.” I asked still a teensy mad about that incident.

“Oh, it's not as bad as the other things I have to prepare for our more exotic patients. The worst smelling food has to be what the griffons eat!” Sapphire joked as the table completed setting itself.

“I have the window open so the smell is being vented outside so I don't mind as much.” She explained pointing to a fan powered by, well magic I guess since there was no cord connecting to the wall. “It is a bit early for dinner but with the night you two had you're probably starving.” The plate she placed in front of me smelled so wonderful I dug in immediately.

“Trixie's out doing a favor for me, if you were wondering but I thought she'd be back by now.” Sapphire mused. “But when she does get back we can talk about payment.” She added seriously.

I inhaled sharply causing the half chewed eggs to go down the wrong tube. Payment! If I wasn't trying so hard just to breathe right now I would've demanded what I'm supposed to be paying for.

“W-what!” I managed to cough out. Man, she could switch moods at a drop of a hat! Surely the safe return of Trixie should account for something! The corners of Sapphires mouth began to twitch and her composure fell apart.

“Don't take it so seriously but really the food comes out of my paycheck. I can make it to my next paycheck if I'm careful now.” Sapphire solemnly. “I would like to make a portrait of you and Trixie. She's out to find some suitable canvas for it.” I blinked a few times and looked at my food with a new found sense of guilt. “Aw, don't look like that. A meal for a painting, fair right?” Sapphire said patiently. “And I do want to hear your side of the story.”

Sapphire listened between my bites with bated breath. Sapphire seemed to go into her own experience when she and Short Stacks went to Courage's Folly. When I came to describe the Beasts that dwell there Sapphires eyes widened in disbelief.

“They didn't look like that! They looked different than that!” Sapphire interrupted.

“Trixie thought she only saw one and it was some pony named Twilight. There had been three and they looked like twisted, nightmarish versions of ponies. I believe I am immune to these mind tricks being human and all. And if you think that's horrible wait you'll hear of what I did to them!” I grinned mischievously. I took an extra long sip on my water and chewed a bit longer on my salad enjoying Sapphires expression similar to a child when your deliberately building suspense.

“Well, what happened!” Sapphire demanded tired of my delay.

“I killed them with the sword that I found in the fort.” I said proudly. “They had effectively incapacitated Trixie so I had to intervene,” I explained. “which reminds me. I lost the knife I borrowed, sorry.” I added apologetically.

Sapphire sat there and simply blinked and looked to my left forearm and leg.

“So those stains aren't mud, are they?” Sapphire asked worried for what the answer could be.

“Well some of it,” I admitted. “Most of it was their blood. But some of it is mine also,” The look on Sapphires face was shocked but trying to understand. “Trixie was in trouble and I didn't want her to end up like Short Stacks!” I angrily defended myself.

“N-no, I'm glad that you protected her. It's still a little much for me to take in, that's all.” Sapphire drew circles on the table while her eyes darted about. “My visit with Short Stacks didn't end up nearly as happy. I wish you had came here a few years ago, things might've been different. . .” Sapphire trailed off sadly.

“I didn't choose to come here. Now don't get me wrong, I love magic with every fiber of my being. I wish I could use it but Trixie is the one that summoned me here.” I shrugged. “Maybe I can go visit Short Stacks, tell him some good news about that place. Or you can, you work there.” I pointed out.

“Speaking of Trixie, she told me that you told a lie.” Sapphire became serious again. I felt like she hit me with a broom over the head.

“Oh, yeah. . . that.” I said still irritated at myself for that. “I said it to keep her calm. I had no idea how many there were or if they could track fear by smell!” I said defensively.

“That may be so but I understand that since you're human and don't know about a few things.” Sapphire explained gently. “But I'm not going to let this slide by. Honesty is part of the Elements of Harmony. There are six of them but they are all very important to have: Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter,” I snickered and she stared me down with such intensity that I fell silent immediately. “Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, and Magic. It's important to live with each in your life. And when Trixie comes back I want you to apologize to her.”

“I tried but she didn't listen to me!” I said frustrated.

“Did you explain why you did it, like how you explained it to me?” Sapphire questioned with a knowing tone. I just glared back not wanting to speak now. “From that look I suppose you did. When she comes back, I want to hear the apology. K?” She said getting a nod out of me before going off to prepare her paints or something.

While I was chewing in silence I noticed a newspaper on the table. “Well might be able to brush up on my current events.” I thought moodily. The front page held the image of a castle built into a mountain side. The photo was taken with excellent taste and quality but the castle was inside a huge transparent bubble. I looked at the head lines to see what the story was about but it was written in the same language that warning sign was written in. I flipped through the paper and looked for the comics in the paper and enjoyed trying to comprehend the shenanigans of the comically drawn ponies.

Even though it was incredibly silly I really enjoyed coming up with reasons and dialogue for these random ponies.

“I thought you didn't know how to read.” Trixie said with a sneer. I looked up and saw Trixie levitating some fresh paints and a large picture frame. I sighed outwardly and put the paper down still put off that Trixie's mood hadn't changed. I stood up and cleared my place at the table and did the dishes, for a place that had no electricity the plumbing worked just fine. I was only delaying my apology but I needed to think of something to say to make up for it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't think of a decent apology because for me talk is cheap but actions speak much louder. Yet again, I don't know what she likes or would like to go do. I have no money to speak about either, offer services? No, she probably wouldn't believe that either.

The dishes were done quicker than what I had thought they would take. I could hear Sapphire and Trixie talking in the other room. Arguing about the painting sapphire wanted to do.

“No! I don't want to stand around holding still for that long!” Trixie whined.

“Got any bits on you from your great performances?” Sapphire asked.

“No.” Trixie admitted. “But I'll get some soon!”

“I heard that the rock farm is looking for help.” Sapphire offered. “You need a consistent job. This one can give you that.”

“NO!! I love performing! And I hate rocks! I won't stop trying to become the greatest unicorn in all of Equestria!” Trixie cried out. I took a breath and walked into the the hornets nest.

“And what do you want!?” Trixie yelled at me tears in her eyes. “You here to tell me to get a better job too!”

“No, I wanted to say I'm sorry for lying to you.” Trixie opened her mouth to sneer at me. “No, let me finish. You don't have to see me ever again.” Trixie merely curled her lip in disgust at me but kept quiet. “I'm sorry for lying to you and there's nothing I can say to make things better. So let's pose for this painting and we can be off our separate ways, unless you know of a way that I can do to redeem myself.”

Trixie pouted at me giving me a hard glare. “The picture can serve as proof for your great act of summoning me at least.” I added averting my eyes since I couldn't hold Trixie's glare for any longer. Trixie quickly took an interest in the picture and agreed to posing for it at least. The idea was simple: Trixie and I would stand close to each other while Trixie lowered her head and make her horn glow staring menacing to the left while I stood ready to strike with the sword in the opposite direction. Sapphire adjusted the two of us until she was happy with the image which ended that the two of us were standing really close to each other.

“Shouldn't I clean myself up first?” I asked aware of my filthy clothes.

“No, this will add realness to the picture!” Sapphire explained. I glanced at Trixie but she had already cleaned up since she got into town. Sapphire readied her paints and easel and begun painting. My thoughts began to drift as I begun to wonder on where I was going to go. I guess I could find more of these forts and see if I can't find more of these treasures. No, while adventuring is fun and is my favorite theme for games and movies adventurers tend to have short life spans. I might get a job at a rock far- wow this blade is getting heavy! My legs began to quake beneath me and it's only been like what? Five minutes?

“Did you two hear what's going on in Canterlot?” Sapphire asked behind her painting.

“No.” Trixie and I spoke in unison.

“Well the captain of the guard and Princess Mi amore Cadenza are getting married! Isn't that exciting!” Sapphire cheerfully.

“Sapphire this is supposed to be an epic painting not a wedding portrait.” I reminded her. I heard Trixie choke back a laugh.

“Of course not! It's not just the wedding that makes it exciting. Princess Celestia had the captain put a force field around all of Canterlot and won't accept the general public to witness this grand occasion! Only letting in specific ponies that are friends or family in. And they aren't saying why they added extra security!” Sapphire whined. “Not that I could attend anyway.” She added glumly.

“Sounds like your “Princess” doesn't want you to know that there is something that could pose a threat to her.” I said trying to hold the sword without shaking.

“What? Don't you have Princes' or princess' where you come from.” Sapphire asked offended at my sarcastic emphasis.

“Probably a bit of human history you don't want to hear.” I stated firmly.

“Why would you think They're hiding something.” Sapphire pressed. I kept my silence since I was trying to focus on keeping my body completely still and the last thing I needed was a argument. After what seemed to be like an hour or two Sapphire called for a break. My joints creaked and cracked wildly as my stiff limbs had the freedom of movement again and without a thought I adjusted releasing several more cracks.

“AH!” Sapphire yelped making me flinch. “What have I told about doing that! Doesn't that hurt!?” She continued to yell at me.

“No, not for me at least. I'm just naturally noisy, that's all.” I said trying to pass it off with a wave. Sapphire gave me a stern look but rolled her eyes and chuckled. “If you say so.”

Trixie and Sapphire retired to the kitchen while Trixie ate her dinner. I wandered about still working the kinks out of my joints and found myself staring at the unfinished painting. The general color of the background is there, a grainy gray near the bottom and lighting to a pale yellow near the top. Our shapes were there, not yet defined and details not added but compared to the other paintings laying about this one was closer to being finished. Even so, she has accomplished in an hour or two what I can accomplish in maybe a week or so. Heh, give her a few more hours it will probably be done.

I sat down on the couch and began to muse over what I learned: this land has a benevolent monarch, these “Elements of Harmony” are social standards for the culture, and there is a royal wedding going on with a threat secret from the public. Perhaps the Fear Beasts are the threat. Yes, that has to be it! The Fear Beasts are more than just isolated incidents! But they would be trying to attack a fortified castle. Surely no army could breach a magical barrier by brute force alone! But I have underestimated my foes before, giving my arm a thoughtful rub.

And yet I still haven't decided where I would go after this. Perhaps I'll go to Ponyville and visit Short Stacks surely he would be thrilled to hear that no one else will have to suffer his fate again! I would take the blade with me, of course. However it will need a scabbard. What are those made out of anyway? Normally leather is used but I don't if they use leather, it would kinda be like asking if I use human skin for things. My dads antique saber had a decorative scabbard which had wood on the inside. Having wood covered in canvas would work just as well.

The thought of home struck savagely at my heart. How long have been missing now? I didn't go out of my home or stay over at a friends without telling them two or three days in advance! No matter how hard I tried to suppress it the tears flowed like a dam had cracked. The best that I could do was weep in silence holding my hand over my face. I could hear the two ponies talking to each other in the other room but I had been trying to ignore them but now I listened in.

“There's nothing wrong with accepting his apology. You need to be a little more forgiving.” Sapphire said with a bit of an edge.

“I don't have to tell him do I?” Trixie shot back.

“Would be nice if you did.” Sapphire stated firmly. A moment of silence fell over them and I tried to listen harder to hear the answer.

“No,” a gunshot to my ears. “ I'm still angry at him. I wander around Equestria all the time! Him doing the same can't hurt him.” Trixie stated firmly.

“I can see how much good it did you. . .” Sapphire spoke softly but sharply.

“Fine! I'll see about the,” Trixie hesitated as if the word hurt just to say it. “rock farm. But I will find the Alicorn Amulet!”

I wiped my tears away and walked over to the window in attempts to clear my head. Dark clouds gathered above head. “Looks like rain again.” I thought glumly. But how would I make a scabbard? The blade is so darn sharp! Wait, is it? I walked over to the blade and checked its sharpness by dragging my thumb horizontally while the blade is held vertical. Yes, this blade is very sharp. But how? It has been sitting in that fort for who knows how long! Oh, wait I do know: it's enchanted.

In a pinch I can try to make a scabbard, not a very good one at least. I shifted through the piles of scrap art supplies, I didn't want to use stuff that Sapphire was going to use that would be rude, until I found a few suitable items: canvas strips, and long strips of wood. With these I can line the cutting edge with wood and bind it all together although I would need to re-craft it every time I drew it.

“Better than nothing.” I thought with a mental sigh. “There's enough canvas to wrap my hands too. Man I wish I had my gloves.” I thought glumly.

Sapphire gave me an odd look when she saw my bundle of scrap materials.

“It'll make sense later.” Was the answer I gave as I drew myself back into position. Sapphire went around lighting lamps in attempts of warding against the creeping darkness. Sapphire took her place behind the canvas and corrected our positions till satisfied. But a moment after her horn began to glow a storm of brushes twirled around her head as they kissed the palette acquiring their lipstick only to impart a tender stroke upon the canvas. Sapphire indeed painted with more fervor than earlier as she multitask more than six brushes! My only worry was that if she hurried she might lose quality in her haste. A ruler floated through the air to raise the tip of my sword back into its position. I grinned sheepishly as I tried to concentrate at staying still, remembering my time at Courage's Folly helped.

A soft pitter-patter of rain gently rapped against the window and Sapphires occasional squee of triumph as her brushes would hesitate in their dance before starting again. Staying still was easier this time as well. Perhaps I haven't been standing still nearly as long as before? I dared a glance outside to gauge the time that had passed: the world outside had turned pitch black and the rain came down in earnest now but the thunder was a gentle rumble in the distance.

“It's done!” Sapphire exclaimed with a huge smile as she cast the brushes into the kitchen with a splash of water. The sword hit the floor with a thud as I relaxed my arms. The painting, as she turned it to us, was masterfully done. Sapphire was hopelessly spattered with paint, almost as if she wanted to be part of the painting. The painting drew you into the scene you could feel the anxiety on the faces, the foul breath of the beast bearing down on us and just the general gloom of the keep. Even my description of the beasts had been enough to make the figures come to life in the scene. The determination on Trixie's painted face was so strong you would wonder how these creatures even stood a chance, the bestial fury on mine was so intense with my sword raised above my head to strike my beast down I could feel the sheer hate I felt for these beasts. The emotions that this painting was amazing! The only thing I didn't like about the painting was that I shared the same eyes that the beasts had.

Is this how she sees me? Scary? Other than that piece I really liked the painting even though it put a better light on Trixie than what actually happened. I would be hard pressed to find an artist who could accomplish the same without costing an arm and a leg to do so. Hah! Sapphire even added my bleeding wounds too! The longer you looked at it the more you notice the details! I beamed at Sapphire who was fidgeting waiting for us to tell her what we thought of it.

“Why do you have him standing over me?” Trixie broke the silence.

“Well,” Sapphire said slowly surprised by the question. “Michael is taller than you by quiet a bit.” She pointed out with a hoof. “And I didn't paint you crying fearfully in a corner did I?” She added sharply. Irritation began to rise within me because of the unneeded scorn Trixie was giving.

“What!” Trixie snapped. “I was not afraid!” She cried out strongly. “And I didn't cry! The Great and Powerful Trixie never cries or is scared! I defeated the beasts! Me!” Anger rose within my sharply. Hadn't I been in the same danger? Hadn't I risked my life for this miserable wretch! Who's blood was spilled in the defense of another!? I only frowned as I tried to mask my anger as I shoved passed Trixie and began to work on the scabbard.

“Hey! Watch where your going!” Trixie snapped at me.

“If you weren't so scared, why didn't you get into unicorn school?” I spat out uncontrollably but now, now I don't care! “Or who the hell is Rainbow Dash or Twilight!? Were they the ones who made you look like a wreck when I first saw you! Or why didn't you kill any of them yourself!” I growled lowly baring my teeth. Both stood there stunned at my sudden rebuke staring at me like I had lost my mind. I picked up the scraps and the half assembled scabbard and took it into the kitchen where I could have a table to work on. Thankfully the sword didn't split the wood as I bound it together. I had enough canvas to make a shoddy belt to hang my sword on tying it off in a square knot. Sapphire was saying something to me but the rage in my head buzzed louder. I slammed my boots on hastily tying the laces and proceeded to the door.

“Wait! Where are you going! See what you've done Trixie!” Sapphire pleaded to me while scolding Trixie. “It's late and raining! Stop!” She planted herself in front of me.

“Ponyville.” I spat quietly with an edge.

“Why?” Sapphire demanded.

“To tell Short Stacks about our,” loudly saying the word for Trixie to hear. “victory against those beasts. And, I don't know where else to go.” I spoke softly but with an edge.

“There's nothing wrong with staying here!” Sapphire argued.

“Yes there is! Just my eyes scare you!” I reminded her, I looked to the window and thought about traveling in the rain. I stepped away from the door and sat down on the couch sneering. “I'll leave in the morning then.” I announced quietly. Sapphire satisfied that I wasn't leaving turned on Trixie.

“Shame on you! You both went there, you both were in danger! Now,” she spoke sharply. “I'll go hang this up,” The painting floated near her. “While you two make amends! Honestly I thought you grew up!” She grumbled as she left the room.

I glared at Trixie not wanting to talk lest I say something more I might regret.

“I apologized fir-”

“I wasn't strong enough!” Trixie blurted suddenly a tear in her eye. “I couldn't hatch the dragon egg they presented me. I couldn't even make it wobble!” She stated with her voice catching. “My dad didn't like that, and as soon as I was old enough I was thrown out!” Trixie's voice began to rise. “I don't have any skills to make it out there, that's what he always told me whenever I performed no matter how well I did.” A pained smile crept on her face. “Mother only humored my talent but didn't raise a hoof when I was thrown out!” She stamped a hoof on the floor tears flowing freely, body shaking a bit. Well, my mood deflated in a hurry. I felt bad for snapping at her and bringing old, painful memories back.

“H-hey, don't cry.” I said apologetically. “At least you can spread your fame with that picture.” I offered weakly grasping at anything to make her feel better. But she just scoffed at me.

“Sapphire will get recognized first.” Trixie said moodily. I tried to find the words to make up for what I had said and to make her feel better but nothing came to mind. No, words are cheap! Actions speak louder! So I'll need to do something. I slid off the couch and hugged Trixie wrapping my arms around her neck.

“That may be so but it's us that's been painted on the canvas.” I said calmly. “maybe you can't prove it to your dad but you've already proven to me of your great power by summoning me.” I drew back to look her in the eye. “Yeah, your aim was off but who cares!? You did it Trixie. Not twilight, not Rainbow Dash. You.” I smiled encouragingly she looked back and smiled at me.

“Thanks, that means a lot to me.” She whispered.

“Just promise me one thing.” I said gently.

“What?” The confused pony asked.

“Try being a little nice to folks, kai?” I answered. “Hey, wanna go to Ponyville with me? The three of us can go visit Short Stacks and give him some good news.” Trixie looked hopeful but then seemed to be conflicted.

“No,” Trixie responded sadly. “ I'll be looking into that job on the,” She struggled to say the word. “R-rock farm. And I need to stay here for a few weeks getting back on my hooves. Money wise and health mind you but don't let me stop you from exploring.” Trixie smiling weakly. “Maybe you'll get your cutie mark from it!” She offered with a yawn. I failed at resisting the yawn so I shook my head.

“Humans don't get tell-tale marks showing our talents but this one might count!” I rubbed the scar on my still feeling a little tender. Trixie looked at the bite marks and looked away with shame.

“Hey, I don't blame you for that fight or this scar. It's what friends do, they help each other.” I ruffled Trixie's hair and went over to the fireplace to prepare for bed. “You can take the couch,” I offered as another yawn escaped my lips. “I'll be fine.” Even though my body ached just at the thought of sleeping against the hard floor. A hoof clapped around my shoulder and I looked at the owner.

“You know that hole was much smaller than this couch, right?” Trixie regained some of her commanding air about her. “And I don't want to listen to you cracking yourself because you chose to sleep on the floor. So, hurry up and take your side.” I looked to see if she was serious and Trixie's commanding stare had left no room for doubt. Well, not wanting to pass up a comfortable nights sleep I curled up on one side of the couch while Trixie took the other.

“Good night.” I whispered tiredly Trixie mumbled something similar. Sleep took its time in collecting me, I just wish I could just stretch out my legs but I'll have to make do.