• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 1,904 Views, 61 Comments

Wayward Hearts - SilverTopHat



Trixie summons a human into Equestria! But The human has other plans other than bringing her fame and glory. Come join the adventures of a lost human and his travels across this brightly colored world and discover that friends come in all sizes.

  • ...
11
 61
 1,904

Chapter 3 A Test of Trust

Chapter 3

A Test of Trust

A bag seed served as a pillow and a rough wool blanket to sleep with. I guess this is what it's like to be “in the dog house” kinda. I fell back into the void and waited for the dawn. Or I would have waited for the dawn if it didn't start raining again. The thunder crashes were so much louder in here than it was inside Sapphire's house. Water dripped onto my face no matter where I laid myself.

Was it any wonder why I was grumpy in the morning? I walked out of the shed still soaked and stomped all the way to the forest and released some steam by using a stick to ravage the underbrush.

“Freaking Sapphire! Stupid Trixie!!” I growled as flowers and tree limbs were broken off in my fury. “Maybe I'll sleep better in this forest than in your home! Ever thought of that!” I snarled uselessly into the forest the branch snapped in half when I struck at a tree.

I discarded the broken branch and ripped a new one off. I continued my tantrum, not because I was angry but because it felt good. The feeling of uneasiness that had plagued me the day before was being vented out in my strikes as it led me deeper and deeper into the woods. Striking harder and harder at anything that could be damaged. Flowers, weeds, tall grasses it didn't matter to me. My anger still burned hotly within my aching heart.

I found a stream or clear running water and drank tentatively out of it. I stared at the sky watching the clouds drift by and calmed down. Finding my way back to town was pretty easy, just follow my path of carnage. I took a few steps and decided not to return to town right away, so I took my time getting back. There were no birds singing so it was pretty serene and quiet.

“Michael!” I heard someone call from a distance disrupting the spell. Sounded a lot like Sapphire I thought bitterly. The thought of hiding out here for a while longer tempted me pretty hard but I was getting tired of being out here anyway. She was staying to my path so we met up rather quickly.

“Sapphire, I'm over here!” I called out revealing where I was. Sapphire looked happy and relieved but I was soon assaulted by lectures about wandering into forests by yourself amongst a hundred other things. I let her words fly over my head while we made our way back home. “Do you even know what time it is!” Sapphire demanded as she shoved me.

“Nope.” I answered dryly.

“It's past noon!” She snapped not wanting to let me off the hook. “Trixie wanted to practice a magic trick with you and you weren't there!”

“How dreadful.” I replied not really caring. Sapphire smacked me with a overhanging branch.

“Now you see here! Human or not, Trixie is your friend! And friends do not let each other down!” She yelled at me. I glared down at Sapphire still sore about sleeping the shed.

“Do friends toss each other into the rain to sleep in the shed? And furthermore who said we were friends? Because I didn't think I did.” I snarled hotly at Sapphire. “It's fine, really!” I went on my rant. “We probably are too different. I need to eat a diverse diet, which includes meat! But you know, it was inconsiderate of me to cook it in your house without your permission! So lets forget the whole mess and move on!” I snapped fiercely. Sapphire looked visibly hurt and turned her head away from me as we made our way back home in silence.

When we got back Trixie was staring at an apple but seemed to be in distress. Sapphire shoved me toward Trixie while she went into her house. I went up and watched what she was doing.

“So are you trying to beat this apple in a staring contest?” I asked.

“No you imbecile! The Great and Powerful Trixie is trying to levitate this apple! Not having a contest with it!” She snapped at me. “And where have you been! Aren't you supposed to be serving your Summoner!?”

“I'm going to ignore the servitude part.” I snarled. “Are you having a problem with using your magic?” I asked trying to reign some composure and show at least some concern..

“No!” Then she looked around then lowered her voice to a hushed yell. “OK yes you caught me. Happy now? Ever since I cast that spell to summon you I can't do a lick of magic!” I sighed deeply and sat down at the table grabbing the apple and taking a bite out of it ignoring Trixie's glare.

“How do you normally restore your magic? Through a gem or a potion?” I asked trying to focus on Trixie's sudden lack of magic.

“This never happened to me before! I've also never heard of this happening to anypony else either!” She talked like she was speaking to a moron, all high and mighty. However I didn't know a thing about magic so she probably was. Trixie continued to complain about her ailment but I was to focused on the crunchy sweetness that this plump red apple was. I swear this thing had honey or something in it!

“Well?” Trixie got my attention and I realized I hadn't heard a single word she said. I tossed the apple core to the side and clapped my hands together.

“Well, I know nothing about magic nor its inner workings. Plainly put, I don't know what's wrong. But I know where we can start,” I paused for effect. “Sapphire's a nurse. Maybe she can help.”

“No. Absolutely not! She'll only give me more medicine and sleepy tonics!” Trixie stamped a hoof in the dirt.

I sighed and looked up into the sky watching little forms of pegasus' flying through he sky. Well, maybe she can't do magic but who says we had to? A grin slid across my face as my mind began to race with magic tricks I remember seeing on T.V. Then I remembered I had no idea how they did it.

“Trixie, we can still perform without magic. We just need to use some tricks. That's all.” I offered but it only made her angrier.

“NO! I, The Great and Powerful Trixie! Will not! I repeat, will not stoop down to mere common tricks! Magic must be involved if I am to prove my magical might!” Trixie yelled at me and jabbed a hoof at my chest. “This is your fault! So you fix it!” She hissed at me. I was already in a bad mood and trying to reign myself in but this was it. I slammed my forehead into hers trying to avoid her horn and glared into her dull violet eyes.

“My fault! Who was the incapable pony that stole me from my home! Family! And life! Couldn't have been you!” I snarled at her but she kept her ground however her eyes betrayed her.

A magic field wrapped around the two of us and separated us, I looked to see a very irritated Sapphire standing there. “Honestly, the two of you, I leave for five minutes and you're at each others throats!” She snapped at us. “So tell me what are you fighting about. I thought you were friends.” She added bitterly. We both fell silent at her scolding. I did save Trixies life the other day I guess that has to count for something.

“I have lost my magic power.” Trixie admitted stubbornly then she turned to me and mumbled what I think was an apology directed to me.

“What do you suggest?” I asked Sapphire Hoof exhausted.

“You could always look for the Alicorn Amulet.” Sapphire stated which made Trixie face hoof.

“That's a fairy tale.” Trixie said with clear disappointment.

“So was the Mare in the Moon. And She's back, so who's to say it doesn't exist.” Sapphire reasoned. “Besides you two,” She gave both of us a sharp look. “Need to work together if you want to solve your problems.”

I tried my hardest not to gag because all Trixie seems to talk about is herself. Standing this close to her though I could still see the cuts and bruises and I couldn't stay mad at her, not after what she'd been through.

“Where can we find this amulet?” I asked interested in this tale.

“Well, the tale said it was lost in Courage's Folly. The Amulet could cure any magical ailment. But the tale as very vague about who it belonged to.” Sapphire explained.

“That's all great to know but where is Courage's Folly.” I said growing a little impatient.

“Supposedly it doesn't exist. However I know the forest near here south of the Everfree forest doesn't have a name. Whenever I inquire about it I get told not to worry about it.” Sapphire offered.

“What else?” I asked.

“Well,” Sapphire began to look nervous. “There are noises in the forest at night. And when I went to explore with a friend of mine we found the ruins. Courage's Folly was aptly named we ran before we could even get to the door.”

Sapphire shook as if she was reliving the memory. But if she thought it was so terrifying why is she telling us? Trixie must have thought so. She practically exploded.

“I never heard about this! I asked several times what happened! Why are you telling us now!” Trixie demanded but seemed extremely concerned at the same time. “Short Stacks was in a coma for a year! He's still in the hospital in a full body cast!And you never told anypony what happened! Why?!”

“Because I didn't want you going there alone!” Sapphire cried out. “I know you would have gone there to give them a talking to! But you would have ended up like him or worse!

“Why do you think I can do it now without my magic of all times!” Trixie said totally sure that Sapphire had lost her mind.

I took a few steps back not wanting to get involved in this fight. Sapphire stuck a hoof out at me and her voice wobbled.

“Because he has the same look in his eyes as they did.” She softly said. The words sliced through me so viciously I thought I was bleeding. I stared in disbelief at Sapphire while she wouldn't even look at me. Trixie led Sapphire into the house to get her some water. I went to the shed to give Sapphire some space from me and to look for something. The shed door creaked open and the musty smell drifted out. The shelves had been lined with small hoof tools like grass scissors, shovels, little hoof rake thing, nothing that could be used as a decent weapon. Whatever is in Courage's Folly must be dangerous if I remind Sapphire of them. I found a shovel but the handle was not made for human hands. Wait! I remember finding knives in Sapphires kitchen when I was looking for food! Those will do.

I wandered around the yard for a few minutes before going inside. Trixie was packing saddlebags for the trip: food, blankets and a few bottles of red shimmering liquid. Sapphire was talking to Trixie begging her not to go just yet. Trixie countered that the amulet might be the only thing to help to get her magic back. I walked into the kitchen and located a suitable knife. I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold the knife's handle so I took a rag and wrapped the handle. It didn't have a sheath so I would have to figure something out for that.

“You really do have their eyes when you hold that knife.” Sapphire said nervously. I jumped startled out of my focus. Exactly how long had she been standing there. “I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me. The time you stared into the fire. And earlier when you yelled at me. That's when I really noticed.” I smiled as pleasantly as I could. “Just, make sure she comes back safely OK? Promise me.” She said forcefully. I doubt a normal promise will suffice given her stance on me now. Perhaps something poetic? I knelt to one knee and racked my brain for something epic.


“I swear to you, Sapphire Hoof, that I will guard Trixie or die trying.” I intoned trying my best to sound sincere. “Oh, I'll be borrowing your knife here. I couldn't find anything useful in the shed.” I added standing back up and took another look around the room trying to take in all the details. I walked into the living room and saw Trixie ready to go. Tightening the saddlebags to her back with a fierce look to her eyes. The tension rose again within me as I remembered the lone Timber wolf. The adrenaline, fear, pain, and the prospect of doing something similar all over again.