• Published 8th May 2012
  • 14,042 Views, 1,065 Comments

Millennium Wake: Part 1 - Chaotic Dreams



What happens after a certain pony awakes from a magical slumber after a thousand years?

  • ...
34
 1,065
 14,042

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Cadance’s horn ignited, blasting a beam of pink magic directly at the Sparkle drone projecting the hologram of Twilight’s imprint. The drone was thrown back against the double doors of the palace, splintering them as the great gateways buckled inwards, the archway above collapsing into crushing rubble. Rarity was thankful that there was nopony inside that hunk of moving metal, or Cadance would be a murderer.

The pink alicorn instantly began blasting the other drones, but learning from the mistake of their spokespony robot, each had erected a miniature magical force field around itself. The shields glowed with Twilight’s familiar aura, which seemed so strange being projected by things that weren’t even alive. What was even stranger, though, was how the shields were so strong that Cadance’s blasts couldn’t pierce them! Rarity assumed, now that Celestia was missing and Luna was indisposed, that Cadance must be in charge of the Sun and Moon. That being said, what could make these robotic shields so strong that even Cadance couldn’t pierce them?

Cadance wasn’t giving up, though, and continued to blast the Sparkle drones in rapid fire succession. For all her strength, she couldn’t hit more than one robot at a time. When the alicorn focused on a different enemy, one of the shielded drones dropped its shield and shot a burst from its cannon. Cadance was taken by surprise and knocked backward into the throne, crashing through it and drilling deep into the stone wall behind it.

Each drone instantly dropped its shield and began firing into the hole, blasting burst after burst of magical projectiles. These quickly began to send cracks spider-webbing out from the point of Cadance’s impact, and huge chunks of the stone wall began to collapse inward. Next the ceiling sagged where it had lost its support, and bits and pieces of it rained down as it too looked seconds away from falling.

All of this had happened so fast that Rarity hadn’t had time to react, but she was making up for that. Whether these things were commanded by the copy of one of her dearest friends or not, Rarity wasn’t about to stand by while a princess and the first real living friend she’d met in this time were attacked. Rarity began firing spells of her own, simple self-defense incantations her father had taught her when she was a filly, at the drones. However, she too could only attack one drone at a time, and each robot put up a shield long before her spells reached them. If Princess Cadance wasn’t able to strike through those shields, then what hope did Rarity have?

Well, if her own magic wasn’t going to work, then maybe the magic of a certain pink pony would. Rarity telekinetically opened her saddlebags and felt around inside them. She noted with regret that she had lost much on the road to New Canterlot when she had begun randomly flinging gimmicks out of her saddlebag, fully planning on collecting them once again when she found what she wanted. Of course, the ‘sugar rush’ had seen to it that she left the gimmicks far behind. For all she knew, they could’ve been eaten by that mutant timberwolf.

“No, no, no!” Rarity chanted to herself as she picked up one gimmick after the other, seeing none that looked useful. Well, they may have been useful, but Rarity only knew what a precious few of the many varieties of Pinkie’s products actually did. She would be just as blind with these gimmicks as she was with the ‘sugar rush.’ Wait a minute. No, she wouldn’t. The white unicorn may have only known what a few of her partying friend’s products did, but this was one whose purpose she understood all too well. “Let’s see, the doctor said there were instructions on the labels. Ah, here they are: to use, simply lick and then toss in direction of whatever you desire to be no more.”

Rarity ripped open the bag of gumball-like candies and poured them all into her mouth. She spit them out just as quickly. Not only did she not want something so volatile in her mouth for long, these things tasted simply awful!

Catching the now-wet gumballs in the air with her magic, Rarity shot a spell at one of the drones. Its shield went up as expected, but as it and hopefully the others were distracted by the blast, the white unicorn levitated the gumballs behind each of the drones, rolling each one under one of the robots. Rarity then aimed carefully and shot a few spells into the still-crumbling ceiling, causing a scant-few debris to fall down over the robot’s heads. Again, they put up their shields, but this time they had a little surprise stuck in there with them. If Rarity’s timing was right, then—

BOOM!!

Each Sparkle-drone was instantly engulfed in a mass of fire, the sounds of explosion muted behind their shields but still ear-shattering in magnitude. Rarity could only wonder what they would be like without something to contain them. The peals of fire inside the shields, courtesy of Pinkie Pie’s Party Supplies ‘pop rocks,’ subsided after a moment of ferocious force. There was nothing left inside the shields but piles of molten metal and some magical gas. At last, the shields themselves fell apart as they had lost their power source, the red-hot pools of metal spreading out on the floor as the gaseous clouds dissipated into the air.

Rarity smirked for a moment, satisfied. But then she remembered why she’d initiated the attack in the first place, and rushed over to the hole in the wall.

“Cadance!” she called, peering inside the crater. “Cadance, can you hear me?!”

“I’m alright,” a voice called back, before the significantly messy-looking princess crawled out of the hole. Rarity helped her get down, before magically scanning her for any signs of injury. She was both surprised and relieved that she didn’t find any. “Technically, I can’t die, although the Sparkle drones certainly put up a good fight whenever they show their rusty metal faces.”

“You mean this has happened before?” Rarity inquired, looking back at all the destruction that the robots had caused. “What does Sparkle Technologies have against the government? And why don’t the other ponies turn against such a traitorous company?”

“It happens whenever Sparkle wants something that I won’t give her.” Cadance’s horn lit up as the room underwent magical repairs. Rarity marveled as the magic did its work, fixing up even the blasted stone and restoring the windows so that it looked as if they had never shattered. “And the ponies love Sparkle. She makes their lives so much easier, and is always coming up with new products that, I must admit, I couldn’t run the country without. She’s an invaluable part of ULE society, and has been ever since the incident that destroyed Old Canterlot.”

“What happened down there?” Rarity asked. “And what are the Contagious? For that matter, what are the Sands and the Walls? I have so many questions, but it feels like the more I learn, the less I know.”

“I’m sure being asleep for a thousand years will do that.” Cadance smiled. “I know Auntie Luna sure had a hard time getting back on her hooves after she was gone for a millennium as well. I’ll fill you in on as much as I can before allowing you to go to Sparkle Technologies, as even though I despise that shade of my former dear friend, I can’t ignore how useful she too will be to your search.”

“Wait a minute!” Rarity started, turning to face Cadance with a look of realization. “If you’re here, then where’s Shining Armor? Don’t tell me he—”

“Oh, no,” Cadance assured, realizing what the white unicorn was thinking. “Marrying a princess grants the husband immortality as well. He’s alive and fine, and I actually think you’ll see him soon if—”

There was a flash, and suddenly Rarity felt a hoof cover her mouth as another restrained her body.

“Madame President sends her condolences, and says she wishes it didn’t have to come to this,” announced a voice from behind Rarity as she struggled to get free. But before she could break away, or Cadance could so much as react, there was another flash, and the throne room disappeared.

“Get your hooves off me, you ruffian!” Rarity raged, swiping the interloper away as soon as the world reappeared around them. As soon as she was released, the white unicorn bucked behind her to send her hooves satisfactorily connecting with—

Nothing.

Rarity’s hind hooves swung out behind her into thin air, and she almost fell down. Whirling around, she saw nothing.

“Looking for me?” asked the same voice that had spoken in the throne room. Rarity spun around again to see a dark-purple pony a little ways off, wearing the oddest contraption she had ever seen. It was like a small suit, except surrounding the pony were swirling silver rings emblazoned with ruins, like smaller, duller versions of those surrounding Princess Luna.

Rarity snorted and raced up to the pony to give her a piece of her mind, but the other mare disappeared in another flash of light.

“What?” Rarity started, skidding to a halt in the space where her captor had just been. “Where’d you go? Show yourself, coward!”

“Over here, slowpoke!”

The white unicorn whirled around once more, to see the other pony a little ways off again. This time Rarity stayed put, instead igniting her horn and grabbing onto the interloper with her magic. The other mare just laughed and disappeared again.

“What in the world?” Rarity wondered. “I thought Twilight was the first pony since Starswirl the Bearded to be able to teleport! How can you do it?”

“Do you like it?” asked a different voice, one Rarity recognized as belonging to Twilight’s imprint, the not-pony that Cadance had called ‘Sparkle.’ Suddenly, the large dark room burst into light, revealing it to be an even grander office than the establishment Pinkie’s imprint used. Instead of resembling a grand hall, though, this office looked like a massive library, with sweeping bookshelves and multiple floors connected by bridges and balconies. “I call it the ‘teleharness.’ It allows anypony who wears it to teleport short distances. That will be all, Ricochet, thank you.”

The dark purple pony, who was now higher up in the library, saluted and disappeared again. This time, though, she didn’t reappear.

“Short distances?” Rarity repeated. “We just teleported all the way from the palace!”

“I know, it’s only short distances for now,” the disembodied voice muttered. “But rest assured, we’ll make it able to cross whole Lands someday. We even plan on opening teleportation stations eventually.”

“Where are you?” Rarity called out, looking around the office. “And why did you bring me here? I was going to come here right after I visited the palace! Cadance isn’t the ponynapper here -- you are!”

“You should have come to me first,” the voice insisted, slightly miffed. Was that what this was about? A case of damaged dignity? What kind of an ego did this mental shadow of her friend have if it thought it was more important than a Princess? “All the so-called princess wants is favors. I’m the only pony in New Canterlot who can actually help you.”

“How dare you speak of Cadance that way!” Rarity snarled. “I’m happy to help her! She’s a friend and my princess! She’s your princess too, you know!”

“That inexperienced alicorn is NOT my princess, nor is she THE Princess!” Twilight’s imprint, still unseen, laughed. “At best, she is a worthless regent. The true Princesses are either ill or missing. Equestria needs somepony like them, somepony with power and brains to lead them, not some foal with godlike powers!”

“Wait a minute,” Rarity mused, realizing something. “You want to be in charge! You think that you’re even more fit to rule than Cadance!”

“I AM more fit to rule than Cadance!” boomed the voice that was simultaneously Twilight’s and not Twilight’s. Sure, it sounded the same, but Rarity knew that Twilight would NEVER say something like that. What had happened to make a copy of her humble magical friend’s mind so power-hungry? “And soon the whole world will see that. But for now, I am here to help you.”

“Even if you are a shadow of one of my closest friends, I’m beginning to doubt that I want your help at all!” Rarity spat. “You won’t even show yourself to me!”

“You’re getting my help whether you want it or not,” the not-Twilight spat right back. “How many times do I have to say it? What you want is irrelevant. I have far more intelligence than you, and that means that between the two of us, I know what is best. Therefore, you shall receive my help, but only because you were a friend of my original. I can’t imagine why the real Twilight Sparkle would ever associate with somepony who had such low intelligence, though.”

“You’re not a copy of my friend!” Rarity shouted to the empty room. “You’re a perversion! You’re the opposite of everything Twilight was and stood for! You may not be able to understand how somepony as intelligent as Twilight would be my friend, but what I can’t understand is how she could have had the misfortune to accidentally create you!”

“Enough!” the not-Twilight roared, the echoes of her fury rebounding off the bookshelves as Rarity put her hooves to her stinging ears. “You think I’m not a copy of Twilight? I share her appearance, her every memory, and all her knowledge. Soon, I shall even share her flesh, only the body I wear shall be an improvement over the meatsack her beautiful mind was forced to wear. And when I take physical form, I won’t even be a copy of the greatest pony to ever live. I shall be an IMPROVEMENT!”

“What are you talking about?” Rarity demanded. “You’ll never be more than Twilight was! You’re not alive! You’re not even real! Pinkie’s imprint told me herself that imprints don’t actually exist!”

“A pony possessing such little knowledge will only result in an imprint who has little knowledge,” Twilight’s perversion chuckled darkly. “I, however, was copied from the most knowledgeable pony in history. But though her mortal flesh eventually grew old and died, my mind was able to grow and accumulate even more knowledge than the real Twilight ever could. And when I have a physical body, my mind will exist forever. An imprint doesn’t need to be alive, or even real. If I have a body that is real and moves according to my will, then what does it matter if I am real or my body is alive? Life itself is nothing more than the latest vestigial organ to be cast aside in the next step of pony evolution. When my body is complete, I will usher in the next epoch of ponydom, where no mind shall ever die. Encased in bodies free of the tethers of life, pony minds shall grow and learn forever. And I, being the most knowledgeable of them all with Celestia and Luna no longer present, shall lead ponydom into this next stage of our evolution.”

“You’re… insane,” Rarity conceded at last. She hadn’t wanted to admit it, for doing so meant that the real Twilight must have had a touch of insanity to her as well. The only explanation for this abomination of an imprint that Rarity could come up with was that this sentient shadow was not a copy of Twilight’s mind, but rather of the smidgen of insanity that had once plagued it long ago. Or maybe the insanity had simply grown over time to corrupt the rest of Twilight’s copied psyche. Whatever the case, this was not Twilight. It was the worst things about her, taken to new levels that the real Twilight would have been horrified to know had happened.

“Insane?” the not-Twilight, even more distorted than the not-Pinkie had been, laughed. “Could somepony insane be brilliant enough to build this?”

The desk in front of Rarity began to open up, revealing itself to be a compartmentalized mechanical structure. It hissed as gears and pistons turned and stretched, revealing the carefully guarded treasure within.

As the crumpled, skeletal mass of colored metal and magically glowing components inside the desk sparked to life, Rarity screamed.

The thing, the not-Twilight’s pride and joy, stepped out of its sarcophagus and slunk into the open, attempting to raise itself on spindly legs. The monstrosity lifted its smiling head, one eye glowing from a construction of silvery structures over a grinning assortment of metal teeth. The nearly fully-formed flesh on the other side of the face lowered one perfect purple eyebrow over a lavender iris, its half of the mouth curled into a smug, self-satisfied expression.

“Take a good look, unicorn,” the thing announced with pride. “What you see before you is the future. My body is currently incomplete, but soon this robot shall be indistinguishable from the real Twilight in her prime, never to age or grow old. The time of the weak, mortal Equus Equestrias is coming to an end. Under my enlightened leadership, Equus Mystikas Mechanikas shall be the next form of ponydom.”

“Get away from me!” Rarity screeched, backing up. She’d seen monsters before, and had never shied down from a single one. Sure, she had been frightened of The Everfree Forest manticore a thousand years ago, just as she had been terrified of the mutant timberwolf in this new time. But she hadn’t backed down from it simply because she was scared. The white unicorn had been ready and willing to fight to protect herself and the ponies around her. This… thing… though, was not a monster. It went beyond that. It was a perversion of sentience itself, for it was not alive, yet it moved. It was not real, yet it thought. And it planned to make everypony else exactly as it was, immortally lifeless and nonexistent.

“It is the nature of the weak and stupid to fear that which is beyond them,” Twilight’s imprint laughed through the half-formed teeth of its unfinished robotic body. “But even your kind will have to understand someday that I am the only future that results in their surviving to see the next evolutionary epoch.”

The mechanical monstrosity sauntered back to its coffin and lay down inside it, allowing the contraption that hid it from the world to cover it once more. The thing shot Rarity a final silver smile with a gleam of its red, glowing eye before a metal sheet slid over it, removing it from sight.

Rarity was sweating now, breathing rapidly. She had to get out of here, away from that… that THING. This dark shadow of the madness Twilight herself must have not known she possessed was a threat to her and all of Equestria simply by existing, or rather, being present but not existing. It had to be stopped. She had to get word to Cadance—but no, even the immortal alicorn princess herself had already proven she couldn’t stop Twilight’s imprint’s lackeys, let alone the monster herself. The rest of Equestria, then. Yes, that was it. Cadance had said that the other ponies loved ‘Sparkle,’ but if they knew the truth about what their beloved nonentity had planned for them, surely they would rise against her. Even if this mental shadow could best an alicorn, surely it couldn’t hope to stand out against the whole of Equestria, right?

But who would believe Rarity? Why in the world would ponies across The ULE want to believe that somepony they cherished so much was dangerously insane and had to be stopped?

“Now,” the not-Twilight announced, a disembodied voice once again. “about my assisting you in your journey. I believe that the best thing to do would be to symbiotically hardwire your nervous system into my latest model of mechanized Sparkle armor. After that we can graft your flesh to the device with some fusion spells. It won’t be as good as uploading your consciousness into a real robotic body like mine shall be, but at least this way you shall have all the powers of our highest military-grade Sparkle drones and nopony will ever be able to take those powers away. You’ll even live up to three times longer!”

“WHAT?!” Rarity screeched. “You want to stuff me inside one of those… things?! You want to make my body like your lifeless contraptions?!”

“Of course,” Twilight’s imprint verified, either not detecting or deliberately ignoring Rarity’s utter horror at the idea. Probably the latter. “What better way for me to help you than to give you all the benefits of being one of my products?”

“No!” Rarity shouted, fire in her eyes, nostrils flared as she snorted angrily. “I will NOT allow you to make me into whatever you please! I’m neither your plaything nor your puppet!”

“For the googolplex-eth time, what you want is irrelevant,” the not-Twilight sighed. Suddenly bookshelves began sliding back into the walls, revealing only darkness beyond them. Mechanical arms hissed and whirred as they stretched out of those gaping holes, the silver claws at the ends of them holding what looked like the dismantled remains of a single Sparkle drone. “I’m the most intelligent being here, so what I say goes. And I say: you’re going to become... evolved.”

“No!” Rarity repeated, her breathing and heartbeat accelerating. “No, no, NO!”

The white unicorn’s horn ignited and blasted one of the arms into scrap metal, the gears and pistons smashing and crumpling against the rest of the wall. She fired a flurry of more blasts at the advancing arms, destroying them one after the other, but more arms simply replaced their fallen comrades. The clawed contraptions began to quicken their pace, more and more of them sweeping into the light of the office, overwhelming the white unicorn. She was just one pony, after all, facing an army of what she would soon become if she lost. Facing an army of magical machines…

No, no, no, no… she couldn’t keep this up, couldn’t fend them off forever. There had to be an escape route somewhere! Rarity darted her eyes about the office even as she continued to strike down the incoming mechanical monsters. But, just like Pinkie’s imprint’s office, the only gateway into this vast library had been blocked long ago. Where the not-Pinkie’s office had simply contained a bricked-up doorway that the white unicorn could have easily blasted through, though, this office’s one door was blocked by a sheet of reflective iron. Rarity recognized the enchantment on the metal, knowing that even if it wouldn’t have simply reflected her spell back at her, there was no way she could expect to break through it.

Rarity was tiring, her spells coming with less force yet requiring more effort. This must be just what the not-Twilight had wanted; to wither her into submission and then mechanize her when she became too exhausted to resist. Pinkie’s imprint had had a factory full of gimmicks, but Twilight’s imprint had a factory full of machines. There was no way Rarity would be able to destroy them all before she finally collapsed.

“Marshmallow!”

Rarity’s eyes widened, and she jerked her gaze upwards. There, impossibly, was Surprise. The white pegasus was swooping down through the army of arms, dodging this one and that, until she landed beside the dumbfounded unicorn with that ever-present silly smile.

“Surprise!” Rarity gasped. “How did you—where were you—”

“When you vanished with the princess, I went off to look for you,” Surprise answered, referring to when Cadance had taken her to see Luna. “And now I’ve found you!”

“But how did you get in here?!” Rarity besieged. “Surprise, it’s not safe here. You have to go out the way you came—”

“I’m afraid that’s not happening, great-auntie,” interrupted a new voice. A dash of the sky at sunrise shot through the air from where Rarity saw was a small hole in the ceiling. The swirl of dark lavenders and burnt oranges and golden yellows and midnight blues landed with a metallic thump on the floor next to Rarity and Surprise. “I brought her here through the secret entrance, but now that Mother knows we’re both here, we’ll have to fight our way out.”

Rarity was able to get a good glance at this newcomer for the first time. Her jaw dropped as she did so. Standing in front of her, eyes full of anger and determination, horn sparking, was the spitting image of Twilight Sparkle. The real one. In the flesh, even if that flesh did sport a new set of additional colors and an unexpected sheen. Wait, sheen? Was her coat coated in wax or something? But no, the shine wasn’t oily, it was… metallic.

“You’re one of them!” Rarity screamed, backing away on weary legs, her horn flashing warningly. “You’re a robot!”

“No,” the new not-pony said through gritted teeth, still eyeing the oncoming arms and destroying a good many of them. “I’m Daybreak. Alright, fine, I’m technically just the imprint of Daybreak. And yes, my body is mechanical—an android, not a robot—but that doesn’t mean I sympathize with Mother any more than you do.”

“Mother?” Rarity echoed, still eyeing the newcomer warily.

“It’s alright, Marshy!” Surprise chirped, brightened up. “She’s cool. She’s the one who got me in here to rescue you!”

“But who—no, what—are you?!” Rarity demanded.

“There’ll be time for explanations later—” the newcomer tried to say.

“No!” Rarity interjected. “Either explain yourself now or I’m going to fight this battle on my own! For all I know, you could just be some new kind of mind-game distraction sent by Twilight’s imprint!”

“Fine!” Daybreak exasperated angrily, if that was her real name. It turned out that it wasn’t. “Twilight Sparkle had a daughter named Daybreak, and made an imprint of her daughter just like she made an imprint of herself. I’m that imprint. I was placed in this body by Twilight’s imprint as one of the prototypes for her own physical body. Now are you going to help me help you escape or are you going to let us both get killed—or worse?!”

. . .