• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,371 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,371

PreviousChapters Next
48: Diverging Destinies

His presence washed over her like a frigid tsunami, at once a crushing tide of dark side energy that threatened to drown her mind in terror and a cold, calculating intellect that regarded all things like some unfathomably ruthless equation to be balanced. He truly was as much machine as man, if not more so. As the cyborg’s hologram flickered into being, Luna steeled her mind and, however reluctantly, bowed her head.

“Inquisitor,” Darth Vader said without preamble. “You have something to report.”

It wasn’t a question.

“I do, my lord,” the alicorn said, not daring to look up. “I have traced the path of your belongings and identified the being responsible for their theft. And I have this, for you.”

At her telekinetic bidding, a small black pyramid rose into the air before Vader’s projected face. The red capstone seemed to burn all the brighter in the presence of so much dark side energy. The image of the towering cyborg stared at it for a moment, and then turned his dark lenses back to the kneeling princess.

“There were far more antiquities than that among my property.” Luna felt a slight pressure on the edges of her throat. “I trust you have an explanation.”

“Of course, my lord. The remainder were…” here she couldn’t help but swallow. “Destroyed… in an explosion.”

Her windpipe abruptly halved in diameter.

“Engineered by the man who stole them in the first place!” she added hastily. “The Sith Lord Darth Maul! He was responsible for the theft of your possessions. He arranged for them to be stolen and shipped to him on Corulag. I tracked them there and did battle with him. When I proved too much for him his cohorts attacked the ship carrying the cargo and destroyed the bulk of it.”

“Too much,” Vader repeated, arms across his chest. “For a Sith Lord. I trust you have proof of this claim, Inquisitor?”

“Yes,” Luna nodded quickly. A lightsaber rose to levitate alongside the holocron. “I took it from Maul when we dueled… and nearly his head as well! His cohorts died by my hand. The Imperial Security Bureau was involved as well, their report will confirm everything I have said.”

For a moment the room was still, Vader’s rhythmic mechanical breathing and Luna’s far more labored efforts the only things that could be heard. The dark cyborg stared at the floating weapon, distant and inscrutable in the physical and metaphysical planes. Finally, he returned his gaze to Luna.

“That is undoubtedly the weapon of Darth Maul,” he pronounced, and the pressure on Luna’s throat abruptly ceased. “I can sense his lingering presence on it. Not only to survive a duel with him on your first mission, but to take his weapon? Impressive… most impressive.”

“Thank you…” she took a deep breath, resisting the temptation to rub her throbbing throat. “My lord.”

“I knew that you had potential. Perhaps I underestimated how much.” He paused, as if considering. “It may be that I have another use for you. Meet me in orbit above Kashyyyk, and we shall see.”

The hologram vanished.


Many lightyears away, Twilight sat alone in her room aboard the Harmony, eyes fixed on the strange hexahedron. The crystal panes of the Jedi holocron glowed a soft blue, the gold and silver of the edges and angles shined brilliantly, as if they had never seen a speck of dirt. The light it cast was… calming. Soothing, really. It was as if just looking at the thing was enough to settle a troubled mind.

And Twilight’s mind was plenty troubled. For the second time in as many missions she’d watched the princess of the night – the very pony she and her friends back home had rescued from the Nightmare – murder one of her new friends in cold blood. And this time when she’d tried to fight she’d simply been brutalized and nearly executed herself. If Luna hadn’t wasted time lecturing her…

And yet, she still brought up a legitimate point. Twilight was a being of great magical potential, but was hobbled by the need for secrecy. She couldn’t wield Equestrian magic, even when she needed it most, or else someone might be able to trace her back to her utterly defenseless homeworld. Moreover, it did seem that whatever abilities Princess Luna had been taught were able to be used much more quickly than the magic she knew. And without a horn, or a glow. It would be really good to have something like that in a fight.

Twilight stared at the holocron.

“I don’t know if you can hear me,” she whispered. “I have no idea if you’re even sapient, like Kersh seems to think. But… Jedi were supposed to be protectors of the innocent, right? And I want to protect to the innocent. Lots of innocents, actually. And holocrons are supposed to teach, I think. And I want to learn. Very badly.” She smiled faintly. “I’ve always loved to learn. Do you think you might be able to teach me?”

It showed no reaction.

“Look,” she continued. “I know you’re probably feeling a bit wary. All that time mixed up with Vader’s things… I felt their presence too. Not pleasant, not fun at all. But there are more important things than personal comfort, right? There’s a galaxy out there that needs help. There are people out there who need help. And if I don’t help them, and you don’t help them, who will? Somebody has to.”

Still nothing.

“You probably don’t know a lot about me. I don’t know a lot about you either, so I guess we’re even there. But I can feel harmony, er, the light side in you. Maybe you can feel it in me?” Twilight invoked a small spell, fingers shining a gentle purple as she grasped the holocron. “I know I must be pretty strange to you, but can you at least sense that I’m not evil?”

The alicorn princess grinned a little feebly, her glow mixing with the strange device’s own. Yet, apart from the pretty lightshow, there was still no clear reaction. Eventually, both smile and glow faded.

“Alright,” she said with a sigh. “I see. You-”

The princess jumped as the holocron’s glow doubled, then tripled in intensity. Twilight shielded her eyes as an impossibly bright blue radiance filled her small cabin like a miniature sun. But that lasted only a moment, and very soon the room returned to the way it had been. Save only for the for the small blue image standing calmly atop the holocron.

“Greetings,” said the human female. “My name is Jedi Master Bastila Shan.”


Rare grey clouds blighted the skies the skies above Coruscant. Rain, a rarity on the climate-controlled world, fell in torrents unseen in years above the vast Imperial Palace. Lightning forked uncomfortably close to the monolithic towers of the former Jedi Temple, thunderclaps boomed overhead. Far below, the little people scurried like drochs before sunlight, or else simply endured the indignity and discomfort with what stoicism they could muster. But the chiefest occupant did not mind.

In fact, Palpatine found it rather appropriate.

“And so, your majesty, I regret to report that true progress continues to be elusive,” the hologram of 11-4D was saying. “All of our cell cultures thus far have met with failure. When removed from the main body of the Governor, cells evidence an almost immediate change in behavior. Whether taken from skin, muscle tissue, vital organs, or even blood cells, the results are consistent. The cells begin to behave as normal cells do, going through a life cycle of reproduction and death. Analysis conducted around the sutures themselves have confirmed the subject’s own hypothesis: cell growth in wounded areas is rapid and produces a cellular structure completely identical and numerically equivalent to the extracted tissue.”

“And you have no idea why this might be.”

“My apologies, but no.” The droid shook his head. “I suspected it might some hitherto unknown organ function, but consistent observations have revealed no anomalies that our sensors can detect. In fact, when tagging blood cells for tracking it was discovered that the exact same cells were making the exact same trip to the exact same destinations in an endless cycle. There was not even the slightest variance in all the time we studied them.”

“Even movement is stasis for that one,” the Emperor observed. “A biological perpetual motion machine, one might say.”

“An astute observation, your majesty. But we are no closer to determining the source of this stasis than when we began. I am currently pursuing the theory of a biochemical cause that has yet to come to life, but thus far the results are not promising.”

“I see.” Palpatine considered for a moment. “Continue your studies as they are.”

“Should we begin more aggressive procedures?”

“No.”

“As you wish, your majesty.” The droid bowed his head, and then vanished.

Palpatine sat calmly in his darkened throne room, ears listening to the patter of the rain outside even as his mind listened to the currents of the dark side. He was silent and alone, bar the ever-present Royal Guard standing unobtrusively near the door. Minutes rolled by, Moffs and Admirals and Senators and many important beings kept waiting solely on his whim. None would dare to speak a word about it.

At last, he made a small gesture and holoprojector flared to life again.

“Contact Kamino,” he said. “Inform the cloners that I have a task for them.”

Author's Note:

Thus ends Act III of Empire and Rebellion.

PreviousChapters Next