• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,334 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,334

PreviousChapters Next
1: A New Mission

Three years had passed since the day that the Galactic Empire had been formed.

For Princess Luna, now seated behind a desk in her ill-lit study, those three years had been some of the worst in her long life. Even including the years she had spent trapped on the moon with a demon in her head. At least then she’d had her magic. At least then she’d not had to watch her nation and planet alike stolen from her with her own eyes. At least then she’d had hope.

It had begun with the rather unexpected appointment of her sister to the position of Imperial Governor of Equus. There had been no warning, no grand ceremony – just the holographic form of one of the new Imperial Moffs informing them that the solar alicorn was now considered responsible for all goings-on on their planet. As most of the planet was not and had never been Equestrian territory, not to mention considerable portions of it lacked a discernible government at all in the wake of Separatist bombardments, this had been somewhat shocking. Asked how she was supposed to govern an entire planet given that her own nation was in shambles, the man had simply answered “How do you think?”

A small detachment of the newly-reorganized Imperial Army had descended on the planet and, in a quick and thoroughly one-sided campaign, smashed any force that refused to give its allegiance to the Galactic Empire and answer to the planet’s new leader. For all that Celestia had protested that she didn’t want to rule the planet, and to please not militarily attack other lands, she had been summarily ignored. Apparently her newfound authority didn’t extend to any off-world Imperial forces. Once they had crushed any open dissenters, the Imperials had directed all complaints to the new Imperial Governor and mostly withdrawn, informing Celestia on their way out that aid levels would from then on depend on her performance as their representative.

It was, Luna reflected bitterly, a clever strategy. They had effectively coopted the only alicorn left capable of moving the sun or moon into their service, and simultaneously tarred all Equestria with the brush of collaborator in the collective mind of the common foreigner. If Celestia were to defy them, they would not need an army to crush her – simply cut off their shipments of food and technology and watch Equestria die a slow death. And now that the rest of the world associated them with Imperial invasion, they could not expect any help from them. On the contrary, the most likely result would be a retaliatory invasion. Celestia was, for the sake of her own people’s survival, essentially forced into playing the role of enforcer of Imperial law. Her power over the celestial bodies and the fact that the reformed Equestrian Army was most technologically-advanced military on the planet made her the ideal choice. For the bargain price of a handful of small ships in orbit, the Galactic Empire had secured the planet for itself.

And what had Princess Luna been able to do about any of it?

Nothing.

The dark alicorn gritted her teeth, seething as she reflected yet again on her own infuriating helplessness. The blackmail, the total disregard for the sovereignty of nations, and even the killing Luna might have been able to endure with some degree of stoicism. But the sheer indignity of being forced to sit by powerlessly as it had happened was simply a step too far. She ground her teeth for what might have been the millionth time as she again sought some sort of answer, some solution to this puzzle that would give the planet back its freedom. But there was none. What was she to do? She had no magic, no weapon that could stand against a force as large as she now understood the Galactic Empire to be. Hundreds of thousands of worlds answered to Emperor Palpatine, as did armies and ships beyond counting. Luna could play her appointed role as little more than a figurehead, or else she could try some futile act of resistance and die pointlessly, as all the others who had attempted to do so had. Perhaps she might even call down some collective punishment on her nation’s head.

Neither was escape a serious option. The Empire controlled all of the very limited space traffic to and from Equus, which was in any case so far from the established routes and systems that few were interested in coming in the first place. Even the rather radical idea of fleeing to another dimension was out, as Starswirl’s mirror was one of the many priceless magical artifacts that had been destroyed in the razing of the Crystal Empire. Unable to fight, unable to flee, Luna’s only option was to stew in her own miserable uselessness.

Once again, Luna cursed bitterly the day General Grievous had landed in the Everfree. Equestria had escaped genocide at his hands only to succumb to the miserable fates of slavery and collaboration at the Empire’s. She had heard over the holonet that he was dead by some means that the Empire did not disclose. Luna herself did not believe the durable cyborg would be struck down so easily, but if he was indeed slain she hoped it had been painful.

For years Luna had searched for some means to restore her power, and for years she had come up empty. Nothing in any of the recorded lore of ponykind suggested anything about how one could recover from a ruined horn, though many had tried. There were no suggestions on how one might perform magic without it. It was simply taken as a given that a pony that lost his horn was crippled for life. This might be acceptable for mortal ponies, but Luna was an alicorn and would not succumb to old age. She did not intend to spend the remainder of her potentially endless life as a miserable, helpless wretch in the eternal shadow of her older sister.

Even more frustrating was the lack of clarity on what precisely had happened in Canterlot’s throne room on that fateful day. Luna had had her horn removed via lightsaber and the monstrous cyborg had been on the verge of executing her when she had somehow found the strength to call on magic and send him plummeting off Canterlot’s cliffs. But she had no idea how it had been accomplished or even specific memories of what happened, just a vague haze of pain followed by an intense flash of rage and hatred. She had considered the possibility that she had somehow manipulated dark magic, but even her secret experiments into it had proven to be failures – nothing she did, chanted, or willed seemed to make her ruined horn function. She was little more than a powerless charity princess, unable to even muster the magic to set her mane to flowing once more.

It was deeply humiliating.

Feeling reminiscent, Luna slid open a drawer on her hoofcarved wooden desk and removed a small cherrywood box she kept inside. Delicately, she opened the box to expose its velvet-lined interior and the two objects nestled within. The first was the bronze-bladed lightsaber she had taken from General Grievous all those years ago. After the Battle of Canterlot, she had returned to the site of the former throne room, drawn by an unknown pull. The exotic weapon was the first thing she had found there. The second, and the other occupant of the box, was the severed remains of her once-beautiful horn. For many long minutes, Luna simply stared wistfully at the beautiful piece that had once been a part of her.

At last, she closed the box with a sigh, returning it to her desk. There was more productive business to be done.

The only part of the whole situation that could even vaguely be defined as tolerable was that the Empire did not seem to have taken a great deal of interest in her planet. So long as allegiance was offered, taxes paid, and no open revolt was in progress, they seemed content to leave the small Unknown Regions backwater mostly alone, their military’s focus on hunting down former Separatists and securing the war-ravaged Outer Rim. Besides a bare hooful of odd-looking scientists who had insisted on studying her sister’s movements of the celestial bodies and a few hundred technicians and supply officers to maintain refugee housing, there were almost no alien boots on the ground. It was somewhat odd, but Luna was hardly about to complain that the Galactic Empire saw better uses for its time than further dominating her people.

As she sat in her dim study at the wee hours of the night, little did Princess Luna know that all of that was about to change.


Many thousands of light-years from the unfortunate planet of Equus, aboard the Victory-class Star Destroyer Iron Fist, Imperial Inquisitor Indra'Ciasuera'Nethelan, better known simply as Inquisitor Cia, was on one knee. The blue-skinned, red-eyed Chiss female waited patiently in her meditation chamber, her head bowed low with her black hair bound tightly to minimize distractions. She was expecting a transmition soon.

At long last, the holoprojector before the alien woman flickered to life, displaying a life-size image of a towering black cyborg with his arms folded across his chest. He stared down at the slightly-quivering Chiss, who dared not look back up at the dark lord without his permission. His loud breathing echoed throughout the confined space for some time before he spoke.

“Inquisitor Cia,” he said.

“Lord Vader,” she answered, eyes to the floor. “How may I serve you?”

“The Jedi Order is all but eliminated,” Vader said. “The galaxy bows to its rightful rulers. And yet the Emperor forsees that new threats may yet rise up against him. There are those who yet may wield the Force against the Empire.”

Well, of course. If there were no such foes to be eliminated, the Inquisitorius – a group of dark siders pledged to the Emperor to root out and destroy the last of the Jedi – would not exist. The Chiss knew someone as highly-placed as Vader would not have made a personal transmission if he did not have something specific he wished accomplished.

“What is to be done, my lord?” Cia asked him.

“The Empire will require more Inquisitors in the days ahead,” he answered. “Many more. It is the Emperor’s will that you should help to bring this about.”

“As the Emperor wills.”

“You are free to choose any candidates that you think worthy, Inquisitor, but remember: my Master is expecting results. Do not disappoint him.”

Cia’s bow deepened. “I will not fail you, Lord Vader.”

“See to it that you do not.”

And then the hologram was gone.

The Chiss woman rose silently to her feet after several seconds, considering the cyborg’s command. More Inquisitors? She would need Force-sensitives for that, and a good supply of them. The Empire had many amateurs and cultists in custody across the galaxy, and the ranks of those she would scour first, but what if there weren’t enough to satisfy? Cia pondered for a short time before recalling some classified data she had been granted access to, about a very peculiar planet in the depths of the Unknown Regions…

The Inquisitor turned and left her chambers at a brisk pace, heading for the bridge. She knew just what to do.

PreviousChapters Next