• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,336 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,336

PreviousChapters Next
57: Sisterhood

Celestia wasn’t entirely certain exactly what condition that she had expected to find her sibling in, but it wasn’t this.

The alicorn’s entire body was covered in suit of blue armor over a black bodyglove, leaving only her wings, mane, and tail visible. A mask covered Luna’s head, skull-faced and soulless. Her wings and hair were clean enough but showed signs of serious wear, feathers broken or ripped away altogether and hair cut short and frazzled. An Imperial symbol was prominently displayed on her shoulder.

But it wasn’t her sister’s physical appearance that truly drew Celestia’s attention, it was the way she felt. Luna wasn’t carrying herself like an ordinary pony, or even princess, of Equestria. Instead of a moderate trot, her sister was moving with one hoof almost directly in front of the other, legs slightly bent as if to pounce at any second. Her wings were folded far too tightly against her body, as if carrying something underneath them. The helmet concealed her face, but there were minute twitches this way and that as if scanning for threats. She seemed closer in aspect to some predatory jungle cat than a pony.

More than that, Celestia could feel the wrongness radiating from her sister. Telepathy had never been her strong suit – she’d always viewed the sanctity of the mind as too important – but it didn’t take a master mind reader to sense the change of disposition. The last she had seen of Luna, her sister had been sullen and morose. Now she just seemed… perversely energetic, as though transformed and empowered by something terrible.

“…Luna?” Celestia asked again a moment later.

“Sister.” The voice that came out of the helmet was filtered, mechanical, and emotionless.

“Come in, come in,” Palpatine’s voice interjected. “It wouldn’t do to lurk in doorways, especially on such a happy occasion.”

“Forgive me, your majesty,” Luna said immediately, moving forwards and past Celestia. She sank into a deep bow. “Inquisitor Luna, presenting myself as commanded.”


“Celestia you fool!” Luna thought from her position on the ground. “What are you doing here? With him?!”

She was more grateful for Vader’s gift than she had ever been before. The masked helmet had concealed her wide eyes when the door opened, as it now concealed her gnashed teeth. Her sister wasn’t here under duress, at least not knowingly. Celestia didn’t seem afraid from what she could sense, though she’d gone from happy to shocked in the space of a few seconds.

“Rise Inquisitor,” the Emperor commanded in a soft, almost pleasant tone. “We aren’t here to dwell on formalities.”

“As you wish,” Luna suppressed the emotion in her voice, aided by her helmet. She rose easily to her hooves, the last few months having given many opportunities to practice. “How may I serve?”

What was Sidious playing at? Unlike her sister, whom she could feel as a beacon of light and warmth, Luna sensed nothing at all from Palpatine. No powerful aura of dark side energy, no stray thoughts, not even the slightest read of his emotional state. As far as the Force seemed to be concerned he wasn’t even there, though her helmet’s computer was tracking his vitals easily enough. She could only hope that using that power interfered with his ability to read her own feelings, for her hatred was simmering.

There he was, the author of all her torment, just sitting right there all but alone and seemingly defenseless. It was so tempting, just to flair her wings, draw her sabers, and throw herself at Palpatine. He didn’t seem to be carrying a lightsaber himself, and he wasn’t more than a dozen paces away. She could cross that distance in a heartbeat, drive her sword through his chest and vindicate everything that she had done and become. The Royal Guards stood too far away to reach her in time to do anything.

But… no. No, she mustn’t. Though he looked a feeble old man, before her sat the greatest living Sith Lord, perhaps the greatest ever to live. There was no question he had some unseen means of defending himself, be it a lightsaber up his sleeve, lightning storms from his hands, or something more esoteric her could conjure. And her terminally naïve sister would no doubt move to defend him as well. And then everything would be lost. And so, with great difficulty, she swallowed her rage. For now.

“Actually, I had called you here for a different reason altogether.” Palpatine smiled. “You see, your sister there had been most worried for you. So worried in fact that she risked the anger of Lord Vader for your sake, and when that did not yield results, petitioned me directly.”

“You did what?! Luna’s mind screamed at her sister, who seemed totally oblivious.

“Such was her concern for your health and safety she was prepared to do almost anything to secure it. You could not ask for a more devoted sister.”

Luna said nothing.

“The Governor and I talked briefly, and we came to an arrangement. Today, I honor my end of it. Luna of Equestria, by my authority as Galactic Emperor, you are hereby formally discharged from the ranks the Inquisitorius and from the service of Lord Vader, and are free to return to your home planet as soon as you leave this place.”

Luna could feel her sister’s heart leap. Her own sunk.

Return to Equestria? And do what, sit and wait until the next demented Inquisitor or slaving officer came to the solar neighborhood? Oversee a ruined nation of broken souls tasked with making the rest of the planet an open-air prison? Give up the powers she had acquired and resume her place as a powerless figurehead, the very moon itself mocking her impotence every passing night? Live the wretched life of a slave… forever?!

There could be only one answer.


“I thank you for your generous offer, your majesty,” came the filtered sound of Luna’s voice after a moment had passed. “But I am afraid that I must decline.”

Celestia’s eyes widened, her blood became ice in her veins. She couldn’t help but gasp a little. On his throne, Palpatine’s own expression was one of incredulity.

“And may I ask why?” said the Emperor, a moment later.

“As great as my duties to Equus are, it is but one world of this Galactic Empire. My duties to the Empire, to the galaxy as a whole, vastly outweigh them. There are still remnants of the Separatist insurrection that devastated my homeworld, the surviving Jedi traitors still stalk the darkness between stars. I cannot in good conscience leave the galaxy in a state of chaos and lawlessness simply to attend to the needs of one small world on its fringes.” Luna paused. “I therefore request to continue in the service of the Empire.”

“Your patriotism is to be commended. If only all our people were so dedicated to the galaxy’s well-being.” Palpatine’s eyes fell on Celestia. “Yes, Governor? You have something to say?”

“I do, your majesty.” Celestia stepped forward, directly beside her sister. “Might I have a moment… in private, with Luna? I’d like to…”

Like to what? Ask her what in blazes she was thinking? Demand to know what Vader had done to her? Beg her to come home?

“Of course, of course,” Palpatine smiled benevolently. “I realize that this must be something of a personal moment for the both of you.” He looked up at one of the guards. “Escort them to an available antechamber and give them some privacy. Return them to me when they are ready.”

Luna said nothing as the red-robed man came to collect the both of them. Celestia tried to think of something appropriate for that moment, but came up with nothing. Both alicorns allowed themselves to be lead from the Emperor’s audience chambers, down a turbolift, through a hallway, and to a simple side chamber bereft of anything but a few chairs and a simple table. Throughout the entire journey Luna remained absolutely silent. The helmet made it impossible to say for sure, but Celestia didn’t think her sister so much as spared her a glance the entire way.

It was only after their robed escort nodded at them and backed out of the door as it resealed itself that the façade was broken. The two alicorns whirled to face one another in the blink of an eye.

“What are you doing?!” both sisters hissed simultaneously.

“Why would you seek to stay with Vader?!” Celestia continued.

“What madness drove you to make a deal with the Emperor?!” Luna shot back.

“Madness? He’s the only one in the Empire who even bothered to do anything for us, ever!”

“You fool.” Even through the mechanical filter, Luna spat the words. “I will not go back.”

“So, it’s your wish to be a slave to a monster like Vader for the rest your days? Open your eyes, Lulu. You’re nothing but a pawn to him, and he’ll kill you without hesitation the instant he wishes to.”

“So says the blind mare.” There was an embittered chuckle from inside the armor. “Open your eyes, Celestia. A return to Equestria is nothing but a return to a miserable life of a slave overseeing other slaves. A wretched and powerless position, at the mercy of all the cruelties of the galaxy. I refuse to accept such a fate.”

“And you believe yourself to be anything more, now? You’re a weapon to be used discarded, Lulu, and I can’t let that happen to you. Not if I have any ability to stop it.”

“And yet you have none, sister. Because you are powerless, because you can do nothing before the might of the Empire. You grovel on your knees just to send me back to our ruined homeworld. What secrets of our people did you sell him? What did you give Palpatine?”

“Nothing he couldn’t have taken at any time. Medical scans and tissue samples, nothing more.”

“Why would he want…” there was a sudden hiss. “You told him, didn’t you? You idiot!”

“I told him of our species lifespan, yes. For your sake.”

“My sake? My sake?! If anything was for my sake you’d want me to do this! You’d care that I would be powerless and miserable back home, just as I was before! All you care about is yourself!”

“What?!”

“Admit it, Celestia! All you wanted was for me to return so that you would feel better! You never cared that everything I had was stripped from me! My magic, my dreamwalking, my flight, my moon! All were taken from me, and you didn’t care one bit! I was a powerless wretch, and you did nothing!”

“That’s not true at all! I did everything I could to care for you, to comfort you in the face of the apocalypse! I was there in Canterlot the day it fell, just as you were. I would give you my own horn without hesitation, Luna, if only I could!”

“Self-serving memory and useless hypotheticals, bah! I have learned much in my time away, dear Celestia, and I will never be powerless again!”

“You think yourself powerful? You’re nothing but Vader’s tool!”

“I am more powerful than you can possibly imagine, sister.”

“You don’t-”

Celestia’s voice died mid-sentence, an iron band suddenly affixed to her throat.

“Shut up and listen. For all our lives you’ve been the older, wiser, more powerful sibling. For all our lives you have been the valiant hero or the noble martyr. But not this time.” Luna’s voice was a snarl, and the clamp on her sister’s windpipe tightened. “This time I will save our planet, our nation, our people! I will not return home a failure! I will not cower in the shadows like a whipped dog! I will become the most powerful being in all the galaxy, and I will use that power to make everything right! Do you understand me?!”

There was no sound from the white alicron, but her eyes told the story.

“Everything I do, every life I take, every service and dark deed brings me closer to the ultimate power I need! I will never tire, never give up, never cease to strive! Let the universe conjure a hundred more Vaders, an arsenal of superweapons… nothing will stop me! And I will allow no one to stand in my way!” Her mask was now less than an inch from Celestia’s muzzle. “Not even you.”

A wave of invisible energy blasted Celestia from her hooves. The princess went soaring across the room, blowing over a chair and slamming hard into the wall. She collapsed to the ground, gasping for air as the stranglehold over her throat vanished. Luna made no effort to assist her, the soulless lenses of her mask regarding her coughing sibling with mechanical indifference.

“Shut your fool mouth and stay out of my way,” she said, tone colder than frozen wastes of Alzoc III. “Sister.

At that exact moment, something inside Celestia cried out and died.

PreviousChapters Next