• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,336 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,336

PreviousChapters Next
72: Salvation

Atop a windswept landing platform on the distant Outer Rim world of Shyish, Imperial Governor Seris stood nervously at stock-still attention, arms pinned tightly to his sides. Brown eyes watched the grey skies closely, fixed on a distant dot growly slowly, inexorably closer. The man swallowed, feeling sweat on his face despite the chill.

Yes, Shyish was a recent acquisition, annexed by Imperial forces only a few short months ago. Yes, it had been known to harbor heavy Separatist sympathies despite its avowed neutrality during the Clone Wars. And yes, it was true that a there had been a few minor gunfights and skirmishes between his troops and various bandits over the past few weeks. But the matter was well in hand, there was no need even to call for reinforcements. Why would the Emperor need to send anyone to inspect the planet so soon? And why, for the love of all that was holy, did it have to be him? If half of the things that Seris had heard about that black-clad monster were true…

The Governor shook his head as the dot grew in size, taking the distinct tri-wing shape of a Lambda-class shuttle. Doing his best to control his nerves, the man gave a good attempt at a stoic expression, but anyone who was paying attention could still see beads of sweat trickling down his forehead. Not that anyone was, all eyes on the landing platform were fixed firmly on the descending shuttle. It touched down with an agonizing slowness, time seemed to slow to a crawl as its landing ramp descended.

Governor Series felt a lump catch in his throat as the towering black cyborg emerged, felt his body hold attention as firmly as he could ever remember doing. Around him he could, rather than see, his assorted underlings and Stormtrooper guards doing likewise, none wishing to show the slightest bit of sloppiness to the Emperor’s dreaded executioner. If Darth Vader paid of any of it any mind, he said nothing, merely striding directly up to loom over Seris.

“Governor,” he said.

“L-Lord Vader,” Seris stammered. “We are pleased to w-welcome you to-”

“I don’t care for pleasantries,” Vader cut him off. “Only results. You will demonstrate the progress you have made in subjugating this backwater without delay.”

“Y-Yes, my lord,” the Governor quickly bowed his head. “If you will follow me, we can b-begin your inspection right away.”

As the hapless man began to lead the cyborg down the landing pad and towards the Imperial command center, the assorted gaggle of functionaries and bodyguards turned to follow. The group made an easily-visible target, though near the heart of the Empire’s power in the system none of the locals gave any thought to it. They also gave no thought to a hovering probe droid that passed overhead, one of several acting as sentries for the undermanned post. It, however, gave a great deal of thought to them.

Watching from a considerable distance, safely ensconced in one of Shyish’s equatorial spaceports, Twilight Sparkle looked through the droid’s eyes. Then looked again, just to be sure, matching what she saw with holonet images she’d obtained of the fearsome black cyborg. After a few seconds, she nodded.

“Vader’s here, meaning that he isn’t on his ship,” she thought, releasing a breath she hadn’t quite realized she was holding. “Showtime.”


The Star Destroyer Devastator was parked in a low orbit above Shyish, dwarfing the older Dreadnaught heavy cruiser that formed the system’s own local defense force. Vader’s massive capital ship outclassed anything else in the system, or subsector for that matter, by a wide margin. But it also required a crew numbering in the tens of thousands to maintain, and all the attendant logistical hurdles that came with keeping such a large number of crewmen. Vader’s erratic schedule and frequent assignments to the far corners of the galaxy frequently kept his flagship far from mainstay ports of call and normal Imperial supply chains for months at a time. It therefore wasn’t unusual at all for the Star Destroyer to take on loads of food, medicine, or machinery wherever it happened to stop for a little while.

No one really thought anything of it when several supply shuttles began ferrying goods up from the surface of Shyish. There were security protocols in place of course, but they were not especially stringent. And in any case Supply Officer Deres Jarnalla would have passed anything but a detailed background check had anyone done more than confirm her credentials with the garrison below. She was just one of many Imperials aboard her shuttlecraft after all. No one questioned it when she presented her assignment: delivery of droid parts and chemicals to the detention level. They even gave her directions, though she didn’t need them.

Twilight’s heart beat uncomfortably fast as she walked briskly through the well-lit, metallic corridors, despite her best efforts to the contrary. She’d been inside Imperial facilities before, but never a Star Destroyer, still less the personal flagship of Darth Vader. Even if he was planetside and scheduled to remain there for the next several hours, just being in his lair sent a chill down her spine.

But there was no question that this was the right place. She could feel the other woman’s pain through the Force, many times stronger than it had been in her dreams. As she pushed her hovering cargo pallet through the corridors, she took a deep breath to strengthen her resolve. She could do this, it wasn’t some kind of impossible task. Moreover, she had to do this – she couldn’t in anything resembling good conscience turn away from someone suffering as greatly as she could feel now. The air itself seemed to grow thick with pain as she drew closer the brig, the psychic emanations alone enough to make her head start to hurt. She could feel the residue of long hours of ceaseless torment, sense the ghost of electric discharges crawling up her arms. She wondered again how corrupt a being that could feel the Force would have to be to condone this, and then shuddered.

When the detention area’s thick security door finally opened before her, Twilight was confronted with four white-armored stormtrooper and a young man in a black uniform. The officer rose, and when she met his eyes the princess saw for just a moment a hollow, haunted look behind them. For a moment, she felt a twinge of pity for the man.

“Halt,” the officer said. “Present your authorization.”

“Of course,” Twilight said meekly, head low.

She handed the man a datapad she’d been holding for the last few minutes, moving her fingers only slightly. The man stared at the thing, frowned, then kept staring, totally engrossed by something he couldn’t quite pinpoint. He just knew that for some inexplicable reason this little datapad had become the most important thing in his life, such that the world around him was altogether drowned out. So little attention was he paying that he scarcely noticed when the woman who’d handed it off suddenly thrust both arms out in opposite directions. He didn’t hear the thuds as their helmeted heads hit the walls, or notice as they slumped limply to the ground.

“You’ve seen my credentials,” the woman’s voice barely registered in his mind. “Could you please give me the access codes to cell 1127?”

The officer didn’t know why, but he found himself idly mumbling a series of numbers. Part of him was confused, trying to make sense of what was going on, but the rest was far too engrossed in staring down at the datapad. He couldn’t tear his eyes from it, no matter how much his suppressed instincts were telling him to. Some corner of his eyes vaguely perceived her waving a hand.

“And would you please tell me where the physical controls for your alarm system are?”

“Far left panel…” he muttered. “Section five…”

“Thank you,” she said softly.

He didn’t resist as two fingers reach up to lightly tap him on the temple, didn’t feel anything as blackness overwhelmed his mind. He was already out before he hit the floor.

Twilight stepped gingerly over the unconscious Imperial, moving quickly towards the detention block’s primary control panel where he had been sitting. She worked quickly, ensuring that the alarm signal was set to “all clear”, and then reaching out with the Force. She didn’t have time for an elaborate slicing attempt against its doubtless well-guarded systems, but there was no need. She simply telekinetically broke critical wires and circuits inside the alarm’s control panel without ever physically touching it. Once she was done, one could try slamming every button and flipping every switch on it from now until doomsday and there would be no response.

That done, and wiping a few beads of sweat from her forehead, she rushed without further delay down the actual cell-block’s hallway, stopping immediately when she reached a particular door. She could feel the agony emanating from the other side, almost fancied she could hear the screaming through the soundproof door. She hurriedly punched in the series of numbers she’d been given, and too her immeasurable relief the door slid open unaccompanied by wailing alarms.

The sensation hit her like a punch in the gut. If she thought she’d been feeling the pain before, it had been but a drizzle before a hurricane. The pent-up sensations of weeks of endless torture roiled over her all at once: the agony wracking the Togruta woman’s frame, the naked terror and simmering rage comingling in her mind, the cold echoes of a much darker presence. It was all she could do for just a moment not to double over and throw up on the spot.

“Unauthorized accessor detected,” a mechanical monotone snapped her back to reality.

Twilight looked up. One of the five hovering black spheres had broken its orbit around the prisoner, moving towards her.

“Facial structure inconsistent with authorized personnel,” the torture droid went on. “Present identification codes or-”

Twilight reached out her hand and made a fist, and the spherical droid crumpled like an aluminum can.

As one droid crashed to the floor, smoking and sparking, the other four broke off their own orbits. Needles primed and electroshock prods crackled with energy, but these vile machines were built to brutalize the helpless, not to fight. Still less to fight a Force wielder. Twilight bared her teeth, then slammed them all into the wall opposite her with a single hand. With the other, she made a fist, and then released it. Once. Twice. Thrice. Four times. Each time a torture droid let out a binaric warble before being crushed into scrap with perhaps more force than was necessary.

The moment the last one hit the ground, Twilight eyes went the woman pinned to the table. She was an orange-skinned Togruta female, not much younger than the alicorn herself, hanging limply by numerous restraints affixed to her limbs, waist, chest, and neck. Her screaming had subsided when the droids pulled away, replaced now with the faintest of moans. She looked drained and emaciated, though she sported no obvious wounds. She wore white medical dressings about her chest, torso, and upper legs, and little else.

Twilight moved quickly to her, standing directly in front of the table. She concentrated a moment, putting two fingers from each hand together. The next instant she pulled the apart, and sheer force of her will tore open every last restraint binding the prisoner. The Togruta slipped limply off the table for the first time in weeks, and Twilight caught her. As she lifted her up with surprisingly strong arms, the other woman’s eyes flittered open slightly. They were bright blue, tinged with red blood vessels.

“Who…” she managed in the faintest of whispers, “are… you?”

“Shhh,” Twilight urged. “Save your strength. I’m going to get you out of here.”

“Who…” she mumbled, then scrunched up her eyes against some lingering pain. “Forget… it. Anywhere… beats here.”


Far below, of Shyish, Governer Seris was leading the monstrous black cyborg through one of the base’s vehicle bays, weaving between the legs of AT-TEs and AT-RTs. He was simultaneously holding up a portable holoprojector displaying a number of charts. The man talked as he walked, doing his best not to seem terrified or over sycophantic.

“As you can see, Lord Vader,” he said. “Armored losses since our occupation began have been minimal, and well within projected casualties of our annexation efforts. What… minimal resistance we have faced has been armed almost exclusively with light handheld weaponry, posing little risk to our-”

“Then perhaps you care to explain how images of insurgents posing atop the smoking wrecks of three of your heavy vehicles found their way onto holonet shadowfeeds running rampant throughout the Mid and Outer Rims?” The cyborg interrupted. “And have appeared on anti-Imperial propaganda in more than a hundred systems?”

“Ah yes,” Series swallowed. “That. Well, in truth that was the result-”

The hapless Governor was cut off yet again, as behind him the Dark Lord abruptly came to a halt. Hesitantly, Seris turned to look at Vader, only to find the black cyborg staring upwards towards the ceiling and paying absolutely no attention to him. Then, without warning, Vader turned about and began walking briskly back the way he had come. He spoke not a word, simply disappearing from sight behind one of the mighty walkers.

Seris breathed a sigh of relief.

PreviousChapters Next