• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,357 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,357

PreviousChapters Next
33: A New Factor

Princess Luna drifted silently through a land of mists. It was a cold and gloomy place, little more than fog and blackness for as far as the eye could see, lacking even a solid ground to put her hooves on. There was no discernable source for the weak silvery light that provided what little illumination that there was, and every breathe she took seemed to echo endlessly into the void. The princess was thoroughly unimpressed with it all. Even bereft of her magic, she knew a dream when she saw one. If someone or something was hoping to give her a nightmare, they had another thing coming.

“Not a nightmare,” came a deep voice. Luna pursed her lips.

The mists around her parted briefly, allowing a familiar semitransparent figure to rise up from the darkness. Well-groomed, handsome despite his age, and immaculately dressed, even in death the man cut a good figure. Luna simply looked annoyed.

“Tyranus,” she vaguely inclined her head.

“Lord Noctis,” he smiled pleasantly.

“Cease the theatrics if you would,” Luna said. “Amateurish attempts to look more powerful ill suit you. If you had any real power here you would strike Sidious dead.”

“I see that your time away has not rendered you any more respectful.” Dooku matched her annoyed expression with one of his own.

“I feign enough subservience in my waking hours. We are allied because I need your secrets and you need my flesh for our combined vision of Sidious’ death. I see little reason to beat around the bush about it. An alliance built on shared hatred is not a friendship nor any personal affinity.”

“You do realize that projecting my spirit so far from my tomb while remaining below Sidious’ detection is quite taxing, don’t you? If I feel that I am too unappreciated I might simply decide to cease.”

“And then what?” Luna snorted. “Stew in impotent hatred until insanity or hell claims you, waiting for another with even half of my potential to blunder into the Valley and not get taken by some other Sith spirit? Please. We both know that I’m as good an option as you are going to find.”

Dooku said nothing.

“However much I might irritate you, you hate Darth Sidious with an undying passion.” The alicorn smirked a bit. “Literally. There’s nothing you wouldn’t give to return the treacherous death he dealt you, and that includes putting up with me for as long as it takes. That’s why you’re going to tell me whatever you came to almost irrespective of what I say, because if you stirred yourself from your dusty grave half a galaxy away it must be important. So please, just say what it is that you have to say.”

“A well-argued point, Darth Noctis,” Dooku sighed. “I commend your analytical abilities once again.”

“I’m beside myself with joy,” she replied flatly. “The man who tried to wipe out my entire species is complimenting me. Oh however can I express my foalike giddiness?”

“Bygones,” the Sith ghost waved a hand dismissively. “Very well, we will get straight to the point. I am here to warn you that your current course is one of quick opportunity, but also considerable peril.”

“Much like the dark side itself, wouldn’t you say? I’d hardly call what I’ve been through so far particularly safe.”

“Precisely,” he nodded. “More specifically, I want to warn you about the man you are going to chase for Vader. He is more than just a criminal or collector. The Maul you seek was once a Sith.”

“A Sith?” Luna raised an eyebrow. “What of the Rule of Two? There can only ever be two Sith, or so you taught me.”

“He was Sidious’ apprentice before my tenure. He was defeated, cut in two and seeming killed, by the Jedi before my conversion. But he survived, and returned to make trouble for us during the Clone Wars. My former master and I… dealt with him.”

Several more figures rose up from the mists around the two. Luna let out a reflexive hiss when she recognized the loathsome cyborg General Grievous among them. Then there was Dooku himself, along with a cloaked man she presumed to be Sidious. Across from them were a horned Zabrak male with cybernetic legs – obviously this Maul. In front of him was pale, inhuman woman wrapped in deep red robes.

“The witch Talzin, Maul’s mother and most powerful ally,” Dooku informed her.

Sidious stretched out two hands, unleashing the same blue lightning that Luna used. Talzin raised her own clawlike hands and countered with green lightning of her own. Dooku added his own Force attack to that of his master, while Maul placed a hand on his mother’s back as if offering his strength. The strikes met in the middle and were for a while even, but slowly the two Sith Lords began to overpower Maul and Talzin. The witch transitioned smoothly frim lightning to a green shield covering herself and her son. Then, as the Sith attack continued to press home, she waved a hand and threw Maul backwards, into the mists. General Grievous pressed himself bodily through the glowing shield as the exhausted witch sank to her knees. The pitiless cyborg plunged two lightsabers through the woman’s chest without hesitation.

“And what exactly is this supposed to show me?” Luna asked as the figures faded away. “That Maul hates Sidious as much as you do?”

“And that he hates me as well, for the part I played in the death of his mother and the destruction of his army. Though he believes me dead and gone, it would be unwise of you to reveal our… working relationship to him. I cannot be sure how he would react.”

“So you suggest I refrain from revealing my source of knowledge to him?”

“And that you decline to use, for example, lightning near him. If you wish to negotiate, of course. The power is uncommon, he is not foolish enough as to not wonder where you might have acquired it.”

“That could complicate matters.”

“Those things most worthwhile are seldom simple.”

“Aye, tis true enough.”

“If handled correctly,” Dooku crossed his arms. “Maul might prove useful to us. But I would caution you, Darth Noctis. In all dealings that you might have with Darth Maul, remember one of the very first lessons that I taught you.”

“And which one would that be?”

The ghost smirked. “That treachery is the way of the Sith.”


Hours later, Luna was gingerly awakened by a young man in a Navy Lieutenant’s uniform shaking one of her shoulders. It was impossible to tell the hour in her windowless cabin, but she got the sense that it was still far too early for sane people to be up and about. Which meant this had to be important.

“Yes, Lieutenant… Hayes, I believe?” she looked sleepily up at him. “Why are you disturbing me?”

“Begging your pardon, mistress,” the young man tugged at his collar. “But you said to come to you right away if anything change. It took a little bit of dropping Lord Vader’s name, but the ISB handed over those case files that you wanted. My lady… I think we may have a lead.”

PreviousChapters Next