• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 438 Views, 181 Comments

Hardship Overcome - SuperSweetStuff



Before Cadence, Shining Armor had a different special somepony.

  • ...
65
 181
 438

Wing

Two years later...

"Hello, Shining," Minted said brightly. "How have you been?"

"I've been great! We learned new evasive maneuvers in training today. Say, do you want to go get some milkshakes?" Shining pulled out a drawstring bag that was bulging with coins. "I won a bet with one of my friends over who could bench-press the most weight!"

"A bet?" Minted rolled her eyes, a slight smile on he face. C'mon, Shiny, you know bets are for lazy ponies who can't get money any other way."

Shining's smile was wiped off his face. "You know my part-time job at the Carrot Shack doesn't pay much! Look, do you want milkshakes or not? 'Cause I'm totally cool with drinking two shakes by myself."

Minted rolled her eyes again and nuzzled him. "A free milkshake's a free milkshake. Let's go!"


Shining watched her sip it up as quickly as she could. She had chosen her favorite flavor, strawberry, and was drinking it like a lady. Normally, he disliked mares like that, but she was so nice to him an she was really close to his age. She never called hi "uncouth" if he started wresting with his friends in front of her; she'd simply stand back and watch, then resume their conversation afterwards as if nothing had happened. Her one wrong eye was no reason to like her nay less. In fact, he couldn't see any reason for anypony to dislike Minted. She was absolutely perfect in everything she did: the way she walked, talked, gave to others, moved, spoke like how a nightingale might if it were a pony, her voice was beautiful... there was, however, something really strange about her.

She didn't have her cutie mark.

Every now and then, Shining would ask why, and Minted would immediately drop the subject. She refused to tell him anything about it, except one time where she had come to visit him and Twilight and she was kind of tired. She mentioned something about the sun, but it really didn't make any sense to Shining. That was okay, though, because she didn't need a cutie mark. To him, she was perfect and special when it came to everything.

As she spoke, she was simply giving him another example of how intelligent she was. Everything she said sounded like it had been crafted carefully and given a lot of thought when she was trying to make conversation. Unfortunately, by now Shining was so deeply infatuated with her that he rarely ever focus on what she said and gave a coherent response.

What was really strange, though, was that she never seemed to catch on to the fact that he loved her. He dropped hints, which mares were supposedly able to detect better than stallions, yet she never seemed to notice or make mention of it. heck, he had even asked her t dance with him at the Gala, and yet she still didn't seem to get it.

They finished their shakes and walked to the park to feed the ducks at the pond. They walked for a while, but then got lost in Canterlot's streets. minted, however, was able to pick Shining up and fly him over the city so they could get a decent view. They managed to land in the park, but just as Minted had let go of Shining and was about to come down herself, somepony shot an arrow at her wing. Blood trickled down her feathers as she crashed to the ground, crying out in pain. Panicked, Shining had to take her to the hospital. Her wing was a bloody mess, and Shining was ready to destroy whoever had shot it. Minted claimed ignorance as to any potential enemies, but on her last day in the hospital, Shining found a letter in his room from Minted Drop.

Amethyst Rose likes arrows and hates me.

Please, Shining Armor, you can't tell anypony about it, as it'll just get worse...

but she's my sister. I've tried so hard to love her, but she always pushes me away because we have different fathers. I know she did this. You have to bring her to me and leave! I must talk to her!

Author's Note:

Next chapter should be out in a week or sooner! Hope you liked if! If you disliked it, tell me why, but DON'T BE A TOTAL JERK ABOUT IT! Constructive criticism, only, please!