• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 4,764 Views, 183 Comments

The Other Sunset Shimmer - Jerec the Ascendant



The story is that the EG Sunset Shimmer is pushed into Equestria by Pony Sunset Shimmer who replaces her. On Hiatus due to popular demand.

  • ...
22
 183
 4,764

Longest Night

Sunset smiled at the guard in front of her, but hardly heard what he was saying. Around her were other members of the castle staff and the royal guard, gathered in the castle courtyard for the Summer Sun Celebration. Sylri slept behind Sunset’s ear, and Sunset silently wished that she could be in bed too. Despite her research, she couldn’t understand the importance of this celebration, and her previous night of studying had made this night seem like the longest night of the year, rather than the shortest.

Sylri snored softly, and Sunset fought hard to suppress a yawn.

“That’s very interesting,” she told the rambling guard. “If you’ll excuse me, I need to go check on some preparations.”

Sunset swayed toward a buffet table, set up in front of a strange statue. As she sipped punch, she gazed at the statue, its giant grin illuminated by colorful lanterns. Sunset had never seen such a creature as depicted by this statue, and the more she examined it, the chillier she seemed to feel.

Her pondering was interrupted as three members of the royal guard burst in on the party. Their tails and manes were singed, smoke swirling above them. Sunset rushed toward them, but stopped when she saw the captain of the royal guard approaching.

“What are you three doing here?” the captain asked. “You’re supposed to be in Ponyville guarding the Princess!”

One of the guards spoke up, still trying to catch his breath. “Sir! She’s vanished!”

“It was Nightmare Moon!” another of the guards cried, as the ponies around them gasped and murmured amongst themselves.

Sunset didn’t know what to do. The captain began giving orders to the party members, but he ignored her. She figured he didn’t know what she could do, either.

She set herself down at the base of the statue and watched everypony scramble about.

“Sunset? What’s going on?” Sylri asked, crawling out of her mane.

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you,” Sunset said. “I guess Princess Celestia has gone missing.”

Sylri gasped at Sunset’s words, tripping over her shoulder and tumbling into her lap.

“Where is she? What happened? Why is it still dark? The sun should have been up by now!”

“This Nightmare Moon must have kept her from performing her spell,” Sunset said, slumping against the statue.

Sylri’s ears perked up. “Nightmare Moon? The Nightmare Moon?”

“Yeah, that’s what a guard said.”

“Sunset!” Sylri flew herself up and tugged at Sunset’s mane.

“Cut it out!” she ordered. But Sylri persisted.

“Do you need me to teach you everything? Nightmare Moon used to be Celestia’s sister, Luna. Years and years ago, the two had a fight, ending with Luna being banished to the moon!”

“How did I not know about this?” Sunset cried. She stood up quickly, Sylri clinging to her mane. Then she remembered. She had known about this - some of it, at least. Celestia had once told her about her sister, how she lost her to jealousy, a thousand years ago. But why had she returned now?

"You there!" Sunset turned toward the voice as Sylri disappeared behind her ear. The captain was marching toward her.

She stood up straight as he took of his helmet. His blue mane fell upon his shoulders, reminding Sunset of Flash Sentry. She felt a sudden pain in her heart.

The captain spoke again. “We could use your help rounding up the rest of the staff. We need everypony’s help to find the Princess.”

Sunset nodded slowly, still thinking about Flash. As the captain spoke, though, she couldn’t help but feel something else in her heart. The glimmer of urgency in his eyes and the confident flow of his voice made her head spin, and suddenly she couldn’t bring herself to care about her missing mentor.

“Hurry!” he cried, shaking her out of her stupor. “If we take too long, somepony could get hurt!”

He galloped off, and Sylri crawled onto Sunset’s shoulder.

“I can taste what you’re feeling,” she said, poking Sunset’s cheek. “But don’t you think you have more important things to think about?”

“What?” Sunset asked, blushing. “I’m thinking about the Princess, of course!”

“Really? Well, that would make things a little awkward, don’t you think?”

“Oh, be quiet.”

Sunset rushed across the courtyard and down a castle hall. All around her, maids and guards were panicking. “How are you going to gather these ponies when they won’t calm down?” Sylri asked.

“I think I have just the thing,” Sunset said. “Looks like it’s my chance to try out that paralysis spell.” Just then, three cook ponies turned the corner, stampeding toward the two. Sunset stood still and charged her horn. Seconds later, a volley of blue light shot from her horn, stunning each of the ponies.

As they dropped to the ground, a panting guard came around the corner. Sunset continued past him. “You’re welcome,” she called over her shoulder as she began running again.

“Hey Sunny, I think I should go back to the room,” Sylri said. “There’s a lot of fear and worrying going on here, and I don’t know…”

Sunset looked down at the sprite on her shoulder.

“Well, I just don’t want to do something that I might regret, you know?”

She slowed down and Sylri flew into the air. “Alright, but make sure you aren’t seen. I’ll meet you after this is taken care of.”

The two parted, Sunset continuing down the hallway, following the echo of panicked shrieks.

She came to an intersection, where she found more staff, hurtling toward her from the right. She fired a few more stuns in their direction, freezing one of the ponies, but missing another and accidentally hitting a pursuing guard. She laughed nervously and let out an apology before hurrying on.

Sunset ran past empty closets and suites, but slowed down when she heard a strange scream, over the other screams echoing through the castle. She tracked the noise down, entering a scarcely lit bedroom. On a bookshelf in the corner, under the light of a candle, Sylri was clutching a tiny, crying maid pony.

“Sylri, what are you doing?!”

The sprite looked up at her, and Sunset saw with terror that there were legs sticking out of her mouth.

Sunset stomped toward her. “Spit that pony out right now!”

Sylri frowned, then coughed up a guard onto the bookshelf, next to the traumatized maid.

“You know you’re not supposed to eat ponies, Sylri!”

“I’m sorry! Their panic just tasted so nice…” She smiled softly at the ponies, then fluttered up onto Sunset’s outstretched hoof. She held her arms out toward the ponies, and they started to glow. Slowly, the two grew bigger. However, when they reached Sylri’s size, they stopped.

“Sylri…”

“I’m trying!” the sprite cried. “My magic is malfunctioning again!”

“Whatever, don’t worry about that for now.” Sunset placed her on her back, picking up the tiny ponies with her magic. Together, they rushed to Sunset’s suite.

Sunset emptied a box at her desk and placed the ponies inside. “Okay, just stay here. I’ll come back with the Princess and she’ll sort this out.” She turned to go, but went back. “You’ll have to forgive Sylri, by the way. She’s actually very nice. It’s just sometimes when she gets a whiff of negative emotions, she just-” Sylri tugged Sunset’s tail. “Right. Well, I’ll be right back!”

She turned toward the door again, but stopped when she noticed a light on one of her walls. She looked out the window on the opposite wall and saw the morning sun rise into the sky. The endless night was over.

“Sunset Shimmer.” Sunset looked behind her, where Princess Celestia stood.

“Princess!” she cried. “You’re safe!”

Celestia lowered her head. “Yes. But the time has come for me to tell you some of my secrets, Sunset.”

“Secrets?” Sunset’s ears twitched, and something in her stomach dropped.

“As I’m sure you’ve figured out, you aren’t my only pupil. Your counterpart was one of my students, and I have another, whom I’ve sent to Ponyville. You’ve been…” Celestia looked away, poking the ground with her hoof. “You’ve been aiding this student since your lessons have started. I foresaw the return of my sister, and knew that it was she who had the ability to bring Luna back to good. She has proved successful, having united a group of ponies who represent the Elements of Harmony and thus saved Luna, myself, and Equestria.”

Sunset stared at the ground, but Celestia lifted her chin with a hoof.

“And it was because of you, Sunset, that she was able to do all this.” Celestia walked over to the box containing the ponies, while Sunset returned to looking at the ground. “It seems that you’ve been able to maintain order here, as well. Though, I see your friend has gotten a little carried away.”

Sylri hid herself in Sunset’s mane, peeking out to watch as Celestia approached the box. The ponies inside knelt before the Princess, despite their size and fear.

“Let’s see if we can fix this,” she said, her horn glowing. Pale yellow light engulfed the two, lifting them out of the box. They hung in midair, Celestia focusing all her attention on them. After two minutes of this, though, nothing happened. “Oh dear. Don’t worry, I’ll keep you safe with me.” Celestia placed the ponies back into the box, taking the whole thing up in her magic.

She cantered back to Sunset, trying to catch her gaze. “I am sorry for the deception. This was the only way to get my sister back, and to keep Equestria safe.”

“I forgive you,” Sunset whispered. Though she wasn’t sure that she meant it.

Celestia left her then, and Sunset crawled into bed, pulling the blanket over her head.

“Sunset? Aren’t you glad everything worked out?” Sylri asked, cuddling against her ear.

“You know how I feel,” Sunset grumbled. “Why do you have to ask?”

Sylri whined softly. “Isn’t there anything I can do to help?”

Sunset’s magic surrounded the sprite, pushing her out from under the blanket. “I just need to be alone for a while.”

“Please, Sunny, let me help you!” Sunset felt Sylri’s tiny fists against her head. She tried to ignore her, but soon she was kicking her muzzle, and Sunset found herself fed up.

“Fine, you can help me!” she cried, throwing the blanket off her. “Finish what you started when you first found me!”

“What?! But I can’t-”

“Can’t what? You seemed pretty willing with those other ponies!”

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean for that to happen!”

Sunset picked her up in her magic again and flew her over to the desk. “If you aren’t going to do it, then leave me alone. I just found out that I’ve been nothing more than a tool to Celestia, and I’m starting to think that finding myself here wasn’t the accident she’s made it out to be. So please, Sylri! Just let me think…”