• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 4,747 Views, 183 Comments

The Other Sunset Shimmer - Jerec the Ascendant



The story is that the EG Sunset Shimmer is pushed into Equestria by Pony Sunset Shimmer who replaces her. On Hiatus due to popular demand.

  • ...
22
 183
 4,747

The Release

Another early morning, and Sunset just couldn't sleep. She'd woken up at precisely two o’clock and couldn't sleep past that. Her mind drifted anxiously from topic to topic. First she'd think about the sleeping colt behind the separation curtain, and worry about his impending operation. Then her mind would flurry with thoughts about the day ahead of her. Today was the day she’d be released from the hospital. Soon she’d be thrown into pony society, whether or not she was fully prepared for it. Her thoughts slipped again to the mishaps that often befell her in her basic magic classes. All the panic caused a whirlwind in her stomach that simply made sleep impossible.

Eventually Sunset decided that reading might help her go back to sleep, or at least pass the time. So she summoned a book off a nearby shelf, got into a more comfortable position, then squeezed her eyes shut and concentrated until a little spark came from her horn, lighting up her bed. Content with her accomplishments, she delved into the book.

Having lost herself in the adventures of Daring Do, when Sunset looked up again, sunlight was already creeping in through her window. She didn’t feel any sleepier, but a pleasant calm had settled over her. It was always a joy to read something other than her boring textbooks. It seemed as though the ponies who wrote them intentionally chose the blandest style possible. She didn't want to complain to anypony though. They were already going far out of their way trying to get her ready for her new life here.

She rose and began packing her things. She still wasn't sure where she'd be staying; according to Celestia, both of the rooms the other Sunset Shimmer lived in previously were still there and filled with almost everything that the other Sunset owned. Only one thing was missing: a magical journal that allowed for two way communication between Celestia and her old student. Celestia had said it was interesting that of all the things to take with her it was the book.

Maybe she hoped Sunset would use it to apologize for what she’d done, and return to her teacher.

Sunset's mind started pounding out questions again, all of which started to make her more and more apprehensive about the whole situation. What would happen next? Would she be expected to fill the other Sunset’s shoes, maybe even right the wrongs she made here? What all does being Celestia’s student entail...is she just learning innocently, or is there something more to it? Sunset grit her teeth. She wished she could go back home, back to a life she understood.

She slammed her hoof onto her bed. She didn’t just want to go back home. She wanted this to have never happened in the first place. That Sunset had no right taking advantage of her kindness like that! Her face became red with anger, and her horn began to spark. She couldn’t take it anymore, and a frustrated squeal escaped her muzzle, only before she remembered that she shared a room.

"Oops," she whispered, stepping lightly toward the privacy curtain and peering around it to see the still sleeping colt, lying peacefully on his bed. "Thank goodness he's a heavy sleeper," she said in quiet relief. She didn't want to wake him early; he needed his rest for the day ahead.

She returned to her packed cases, telekinetically arranging them on the little trolley provided for her. Now all she had to do was wait. Whoever was going to pick her up was going to meet her here at 7:30, which was still almost fifty minutes away, so all that was left was to wait. She hoped to herself as she got ready to start another Daring Do book that Swift would wake up, so she could at least say goodbye.

The waiting commenced and Sunset began reading some more, remembering to periodically checked the time. She jumped when the privacy screen swished to the side, revealing a groggy-eyed Swift Flight. "Good morning Sunset!" he said, despite having just woken up, he was still quite chipper as he rubbed his eyes. Then he spotted her luggage. His voice dropped as he said, "Oh, yeah. You’re leaving today, aren’t you?" He looked down at his hooves.

"Don't worry, we still have some time before somepony shows up to collect me," Sunset said, trying to cheer up the colt. "So while we wait, how about we play a little game. How about I Spy?"

"Okay, can I go first?" Sunset nodded. "I spy something..."

Time passed as the two played the game, taking extra care to come up with things that while challenging, would still be easy enough to guess, to allow both time to play. Soon enough, though, Celestia herself arrived. Swift gazed at the Princess with a dropped jaw as she helped Sunset collect the rest of her things. Sunset was also surprised by Celestia’s arrival, because it meant she would be staying at the castle for a while. Maybe her new parents still needed time to adjust.

"Well Sunset, I'm certainly glad to see you made a friend," Celestia said, with a soft smile. "I'll have to see to it that he'll be able to visit you at the castle."

"Th-thank you, P-Princess," Swift stuttered, surprised that a simple pegasus colt like him was talking to the Princess of Equestria.

Finally, Sunset was ready, and with a nod to Celestia, the two exited the hospital room. Swift waved to her as she left, and Sunset did everything in her power to calm her heart enough to smile back.

Author's Note:

If anyone would like to do the other side to this story, all I ask is that you PM me that you are doing so and when you have it up. I'd actually kind of like to see one.