• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 3,549 Views, 416 Comments

Table for Two - KitsuneRisu



There's a cafe at the edge of town: cozy, warm, and inviting. A place to go when you need somewhere to be. But here, in this cafe, everyone is equal. In this cafe, everyone is free to speak their mind. And in this cafe, the Gods listen back.

  • ...
10
 416
 3,549

■□ The Mare Who Looked For More □■

Scootaloo blinked, and the scene was gone.

In the moments of light and sound, between the cracks of realities, things came and went, riding in on fleeting thoughts and disappearing when was most appropriate, leaving nothing but the single memories that stood testament to their existence.

When the moment is gone, all that is ever left are memories.

The Owner walked back to the counter, now clean, now clear, everything back to normal, as normal would have it.

Scootaloo followed behind the stallion, frowning with a tinge of guilt, its source a slight ponderance.

“You look concerned,” The Owner observed.

“I feel concerned,” Scootaloo replied.

“Over what you just saw?”

“Maybe more about what I haven’t.”

“And what haven’t you seen?”

Scootaloo settled atop a stool, taking a sip of the water that was always there when she needed it.

After a moment more, she replied.

“I haven’t seen her for a while, now. Twist, I mean. It’s been a few years. I wonder how she’s getting on? Good job, though, by the looks of it.”

“A job she had only in that moment, and a few other moments aside.”

“So what about the real one?” Scootaloo looked up, toward The Owner.

The Owner stared back.

“Can’t say, huh. Is there even a ‘real’ one in the first place?”

“Yes. Yes there is.”

“But how can there be? I just saw a whole bunch of different characters. They must exist somewhere, even though they’re not mine.”

“No, you’re thinking dimensionally again.” The Owner nodded. “You are the singular and real, as are all the ones you know. Have no worries about that. The Prism values individuality. To dilute yo–”

“The Prism?” Scootaloo cut in.

The Owner switched over without so much as a break. “They are currently those who are in charge.”

“In charge of…”

“Everything.”

“And you?” Scootaloo pointed.

“I am one of their harbingers.”

The pegasus drummed her hoof on the countertop.

“I have questions,” she said.

“And I answer what I can. You need not preface.”

“Well, I have questions that you go all quiet to.”

“Then I believe I shall go quiet aga–”

“How long have I been here?” Scootaloo rapped once upon the wood.

“Two weeks or not at all.”

“I think I deserve some answers.”

The Owner fell silent again, but it was a different silence this time around. It was a silence of thought, the kind one takes before delivering a reply of weight.

“I suppose it would be… alright, as faulty as your logic is. The delivery of your plea, however, has evoked an emotional response. You give me no choice but to sway in your favour.”

“Hey.” Scootaloo frowned. “What do you mean ‘faulty logic’?”

“Well, I do not believe that you’ve performed any sort of activity that would warrant ‘deserving some answers’.”

“I’ve put up with your coffee for two weeks.”

“What’s wrong with the coffee?”

“I like soda! Why isn’t there any soda in here?”

“Because this is a coffee house.”

“You know what? Let’s start there.” Scootaloo prodded at the air. “What’s your deal with coffee, anyway? The only time I ever see you annoyed or even the slightest bit upset is when someone comes in here and doesn’t want a coffee.”

“It’s… what’s expected of me.”

“Well, you’re in charge of this place, aren’t you? And you always have whatever anyone wants in the end, anyway, so why put up all that fuss?”

“Because it’s what’s expected of me.”

“And you can’t do anything else?”

“No.”

“Wait, what?” Scootaloo narrowed her eyes. “Explain.”

“I am whatever it is that is expected. Nothing more, nothing less. You walk into a cafe expecting a waiter of some kind, so that is how I appear to you. Others expect things differently, so what I am, and what I can provide, is entirely up to their whims.”

“Wait, you’re saying that you only look the way you look because I expect it?”

“Yes.”

“And the reason why you get huffy over coffee and act all snobbish about it is because that’s expected of a coffee shop owner?”

“Yes. That is the gist of it.”

“Well, where’s my soda, then? I expect soda!”

“No. You don’t. You hope for soda. You expect coffee. I’m afraid they’re a little bit different. You had sandwiches last night because you believe that cafes should provide food of some kind. It’s probably a good thing that you do. But unfortunately, the existence of a light, bubbling, frothy ginger-based beverage is not within your world outlook for an establishment of this sort.”

“So you… can only do things and look… how you look to different ponies based on how they believe the world works?”

“You’d find that most things in this world follow that rule.”

Scootaloo rubbed her chin. “So… what happens if someone who did believe in soda came in here, ordered one, and I took it from them?”

“That would be theft, I do think.”

“Yes, but I’d get the soda?”

“Yes.”

“That is so… absolutely complicated.” Scootaloo declared.

“That is why I do not attempt to explain things much,” The Owner said.

“Okay,” Scootaloo wagged her hoof at The Owner. “So… you look different to everyone.”

“Yes.”

“To me, you’re a stallion. Have you ever been a mare?”

“I’m sure I have.”

“It’s not definite?”

“I do not get to choose what I look like to others. As always, it is a result of expectations.”

Scootaloo smiled a bit. “That’s kinda cool, though. You guys could be anywhere. You’d just blend in. Like some sort of social chameleon.”

The Owner smiled back, but not with his eyes.

“Uh…” Scootaloo continued. “So… do you have, like, an original form or something?”

“Yes. But only to myself. When I look in a mirror. It is the last gift – a reminder of who I was. I do not have an identity to any others. Only what others need.”

“Huh,” Scootaloo muttered. “That’s… a bit sad, isn’t it?”

“It is the sacrifice.”

“Sacrifice.”

“You recall earlier, I mentioned that The Prism values individuality above all. In order to preserve it, we who work for The Prism have to give up our own.”

“So this Prism thing…”

Scootaloo cut herself off. The look on The Owner’s face told her that it was pointless to continue down this line of questioning.

“Alright, then. I got one for you.” Scootaloo went on. “If you look different to everyone else, then wouldn’t it be incredibly troublesome for you if someone had to describe you, and you had two different fellas giving two different accounts?”

“Well, that usually rarely happens, but if they do, things adjust.”

“In what way?”

“Well, expectations can be subverted. If there were two who were looking upon me, and one of them said suddenly, ‘I like his vest’, then I would be wearing a vest, and would always have been wearing a vest. Expectations turn into suspicion, and suspicions are validated when I prove them true. In essence, I validate myself.”

“But that… how can that possibly work? Expectations don’t change depending on what anyone says.”

“Doesn’t it? Have you never been overly excited to watch a movie, and then have that excitement altered by a great number of your trusted friends telling you that it was bad?”

“Well, sure, but… when I actually watch the movie, I still accept it for what it is.”

“Yes, exactly. All you have, after all these influences pile on top of your own expectations, is the end result. Not many are privy to how you would have experienced it otherwise. It is the same as me. I am the end result of expectations being altered by influence.

“And even in the case that I have already been seen before, as you are well aware, experiences can change over time and with additional information. There surely have been times where you read something or watched something which you didn’t understand, but with a new approach, found that you loved it?

“It works the same for me. Except far more quickly.” The Owner concluded.

“Alright… alright. I’ll buy that. But… but! What about…” Scootaloo tapped the counter furiously once more.

“Are you so determined to find a scenario in which this system would not be able to work?”

“C’mon! Lemmie ask a question, alright? This is pretty interesting stuff!”

“Very well.”

“What if… you had two ponies who saw you, then both later, apart from each other, described you. Both accounts would be different!”

“They wouldn’t be able to.”

“What do you mean they wouldn’t be able to?”

The Owner tilted his head. “Well, describe me.”

“Describe you?”

“Yes. Go ahead. Look at me, and remember what you see.”

Scootaloo gave him her best casual glance.

“Now, close your eyes,” The Owner said.

“Alright.” Scootaloo did so.

“Now, describe me.”

“Ahh…” Scootaloo muttered.

“What’s my mane colour?”

“Umm…”

“Is it short or long?”

“I don’t... “

“And my coat? What colour is that?”

“Coat? Well, surely…”

“Cutie mark?”

“I didn’t even realise you had one.”

“Am I male or female?”

“You’re…”

“What is the one thing you remember about me?” The Owner asked.

Scootaloo’s eyes flicked open. Suddenly, he was there again, as he had always been. How silly of her to have forgotten. He was the same as she remembered.

“Your glasses,” she pointed out. “I remember your glasses.”

“Yes. These glasses are not real, and the only real thing about me.” The Owner took them off his face, tilting it upwards. They were thin-rimmed, circular, and cast in silver. A simple pair of glasses for a simple stallion.

“What do you mean?”

“They are an item through which I see the world. Your world. Without them, I would not be able to work. They are the only thing that is a constant, and therefore the only thing you can remember.”

“Huh.”

“And going on further, we tend to have no reason to be remembered in the first place. We are thoroughly forgettable, and it always works better this way. Through a series of cosmic laws and safeguards, we have managed to survive for a very… very long time. And the only times we have been known are the times in which we have chosen to divulge ourselves. For example, to you.”

“Well, don’t I feel special?”

“Yes. You should.”

“And what if you had to be part of a place where glasses weren’t…”

“I have contacts.”

“Ah.”

Scootaloo bubbled back into her seat, sinking down, mind churning. A variety of expressions came and went before she finally lurched forward, a playful grin etched upon her face.

“So…”

“Yes.”

“You only do things that others expect of you.”

“We have determined this, yes.”

“But now I know that you do things that only others expect of you.”

“Yes, you do.”

“And I also know that expectations can be changed depending on influences.”

The Owner nodded.

“So,” Scootaloo’s eyes roamed as she put it together. “I now know that you can give me a soda as long as I expect that you can. And I also know that this expectation can be altered by new information that I currently have.”

“Oh?” The Owner raised his eyebrows.

“Which means that I can now expect to get a soda based solely on the knowledge that I can get one as long as I expect that you can give me one, which I do.”

“Yes, it does seem sound.”

“It validates itself.”

“Yes, it does.” The Owner said, placing a bottle of ginger ale on the counter. “Very good.”

Scootaloo smiled, grabbing for the cold, frosty refreshment. “Thanks. But there’s a lot more that I wanna know.”

“And in time, perhaps, you shall.” The Owner said, looking up as the lights dimmed. “But for now, you must prepare. We are ready for another experience.”

“Hey, as long as you keep these coming.” Scootaloo lifted her bottle. “I’ll be ready for anything.”

“I certainly hope you will,” said The Owner, turning to the door.

Author's Note:

Looked over by Dinoguy1000