• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 351 Views, 0 Comments

When the Stage is Empty - LongStoryShort



A short look into the after-concert lives of Canterlot's musicians.

  • ...
 0
 351

Frederic the Piano Colt

"So, what do you do to deal with all of this?" Noteworthy asked.

"I actually do the same thing as you. Just a little differently." Frederic answered.

"Hey, let me know where you go drinking at then! We can get pissed together and not worry about things!"

"It's not like that, though," Frederic answered. "I don't want to tell you where."

"Come on, man. Sharing loneliness with a friend is better than drinking alone."

"I know. But I don't want ponies to know who I am."


Frederic rarely, if ever, mentioned where he went to his friends when he had free time. He didn't go to bars to drink; he had a different set of gigs to do. Playing piano in bars didn't make the most of money, but it was enough for Frederic when he needed some spare change. Besides, he wasn't playing for the money.

A particular day before Noteworthy came to his house, Frederic visited one of his favorite pubs to perform in. It wasn't in the financial, industrial or middle class districts of Canterlot, however. It was a lonely little bar barely on the outskirts of the city.

Approaching it, one would make an accurate guess of attendance inside the bar. Most of these guesses were 15 or less ponies. Ponies who came here were mainly working ones, ponies from towns on the outskirts of Canterlot who just wanted to find a place to pass the time. This wasn't Frederic's crowd.

Yet this was Frederic's place to play. Everypony there loved his company. He'd play tunes that he'd never play at Canterlot's Concert Hall. All the jazz, classic rock, blues and things his friends showed him would be performed here. Frederic didn't have to be the stoic musician who only held a passion for his work here. This was a place to have a good time, and making it better for others was a fine perk.

The lonely sign swung under the cover of the only light above it; "Trot's Glass". The wind was blowing, and the rain came down in droves. Frederic tightened his coat and hugged himself. He could see the pub only so far off now. Closing the distance, Frederic thought he could hear another act playing from within. He smiled to himself, and stopping at the front door, let himself in.


As usual, Frederic trotted inside and didn't see too many faces. It was a cold night, and most ponies had gone home at around 8. The few ponies who were inside were listening to the last set from the band playing. The young stallions who were often being rowdy in the corner were gone, presumably kicked out by the manager. Frederic stepped around the few empty tables and trotted to the bar.

"Hey, Bill. Good to have you back," the manager stated.

"I always come back, Salt Lick," Frederic replied. "I like you guys too much."

"Well, we always have a spot for you here, Bill. You'll be up in a bit, just let these guys finish their set."

Frederic faced the band on-stage. "Don't think I know them. They well-known locally?"

Salt Lick shifted to look at entertainment roster for the night. "Not really. They just play in the next town over. These guys only come down here to give everybody a good time, like you do." He looked at their faces as they finished their song. "They don't care about being in the limelight."

The singer of the band stepped up to the microphone and announced, "Hey, thanks a lot you guys for letting us come out here. It's always good to get the chance to play out in front of a small audience."

His words were met with silence, as well as cricket noises.

"Well, I'm sure you're all tired, so it's time to hit the hay. Just wanted to let you guys know we are the Monarchs of Movement, and you can catch us at Pendleton Plink's the next town over. You'll see us next week there."

The band began gathering their equipment and unplugging their electronics. Salt Lick looked at Frederic and asked, "You going to need help moving the piano into place?"

"No thanks, I got it."

Salt Lick walked with Frederic anyway to the stage. Frederic could have done it himself, being one who had handled moving instruments all his life, but the manager was insistent and the piano was heavy enough as it was. It was 8:50 when they finished.


It was 9:00. Frederic sat at the piano, staring at the doorway to the place. Any minute now.

The door was pushed inward, and in trotted a peculiar crowd. A well-dressed suit, a sailor, a graveyard shift waitress, several businessponies, and more. It wasn't the opening to a bad joke, either. Still, these ponies were in here for some laughs.

But not just that. They were here for their favorite piano player of the evening.

"Billy! It's great to have you back!" called Sea Muscle.

Frederic smiled. "Always here, Sea Muscle. How's the Equestrian Navy service been?"

"Ah, the usual. No action, just visiting different countries."

"Ah, I see," replied Frederic as he placed his first music sheet on the piano. "How are you doing, Written Script?"

"Great. My novel's still going slow, but I'm also still working."

"Still not dating anypony?"

"Nah, still don't have the time."

"Of course." Frederic "Billy Newcolt" looked over his first piece for the night. It was a familiar one, harkening back to an old cinema favorite. "As Time Goes By". No, Salt told him to never play that song. (He was joking; Frederic was going to play a different one.)

Really, Frederic was going to play "Knock on Wood", because everyone knew it. It was still from the same film, anyway.

"C'mon, Billy! Sing us a song!"

"One of those classics!"

"Play it, Billy!"

Frederic smiled at his excited crowd.

"Alright, ladies and gents. Here goes."


He played through the night with energy and happiness that he'd never show in a real concert. He played favorites such as "Miniature Spinner", "Lunedance", and "I Love Fridays". And then there were the songs for when everyone was stoned, like "Sunday's Not Good for Fights", "Trot of Life", and "Griffornian Rhapsody". Frederic had a fantastic time watching the various patrons get up and hug each other to sing, or to put one another into a neck grab before a small fight broke out. Both events were hilarious to watch.

When everypony wasn't making a drunk chorus/smashing bottles on each others' heads, "Billy" just listened to what they had to say. He knew why they came down here. They were just getting away from the troubles in the road. Frederic remembered almost every story he heard. How Sea Muscle signed up for another 5 years of service, and will probably do again. String Pull's various attitudes on liberal politics in the Equestrian system. Doctor Whooves' probably drunken ramblings about a box, "bigger on the inside" with aliens and monsters. And Thunderlane's bonding issues with his brother which he can never seem to resolve, ever since their mom died and their dad became drunk.

The issues that they had to deal with in life were a barrier to the ideal things they always wanted. Whatever they tried, "Billy's" friends could never get out of the holes they were dug in. It was a vicious cycle of work, conflict and evening drinking for them. The evening drinking did do quite a bit to relieve them, however. They had "Billy" to make them forget. Frederic couldn't have a better group of friends.

And then Sea Muscle walked up to Frederic's jar and placed more bread in it. He said, "Hey Billy, why don't you tell us about what you do? You got a reason to be hiding out here, do you?"

Frederic, who had just finished his second-to-last song for the night, paused and turned to Muscle. "Well, it's just one of my passions."

Muscle laughed. "Hah, nopony gets that good and looks like they're in their 30's. What's the real reason, buddy?"

Frederic offered a grin of inaction.

He came down here for almost the exact same reason they did. Frederic was just running away from the things in his life that didn't go right. His imperfections, his mistakes that he made at recitals in the past, his obsession for perfection in front of critics. His arguments and annoyance with Vinyl, who couldn't help but put a hold on his work when he was busy. The unsuccessful music deals and productions that never got off the ground. The ideal, gentlemanly stallion that he always wanted to be as a colt wasn't there; he felt stoic in front of others, conforming to strictness and professionalism. He couldn't be "Billy" with Canterlot's greats.

And Octavia...

He stopped. He'd never say. He'd never tell. Her.

"I just really like playing music for you guys. You're a great audience."

Muscle said, "Ha! I knew you were a great colt, Billy! Keep pounding away, Piano Colt!"

Sea Muscle trotted down from the stage. Yes, life wasn't all that Frederic wanted it to be. But even though he was running away from his problems, he had some company, too. He didn't have to face the disappointments of life alone.

Life isn't supposed to be all gold, anyway. Frederic knew that sometimes, you just had to work with what you're given. He worked as hard as he could with it. And when he couldn't, he had a place to come back to. Frederic was content with that.

"Alright, gents! Here's one more!" The crowd cheered, and Frederic began with the first 2-note, repeating section of "My Life".

Author's Note:

Acknowledgements

"My Life" and "Piano Man" belong to Billy Joel.
"Bohemian Rhapsody" belongs to Queen.
Doctor Who belongs to the BBC.
"Walk of Life", "Sultans of Swing" belong to Mark Knopfler
"Saturday Night's Alright", "Tiny Dancer" belong to Elton John.
"I Don't Like Mondays" belongs to the Boomtown Rats.
"Moondance" belongs to Van Morrison.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment