• Published 12th Nov 2014
  • 2,418 Views, 62 Comments

The Sun and Stars: Lightning Round - JKinsley



Ultra short stories done in an hour by the Twilestia is Bestia Skype chat group

  • ...
8
 62
 2,418

PreviousChapters Next
"I wasn't prepared for this..." - Ultra1437 - Nov. 15, 2014

Yet another relative newcomer, but also a staple of the Tag Collab, Ultra1437

Twilight looked up at Mount Canterhorn worriedly from a nearby hill. She scanned the skies for what seemed to be the thousandth time before the adrenaline wore off.

Celestia, in her infinite wisdom, had sent her a forewarning letter. They’d been exchanging letters for near Twilight’s whole life, but this one was different. Spike complained about abdominal pain for a minute before he belched it up, and the letter itself was a deep scarlet. The ribbon sealing it closed was the same color, with a single gold-colored stripe down the right side.

Twilight brought the letter to her eyes again. The script written on it was golden in color as well, but only held few hastily scribbled words. Even after the dozenth time reading it in as many minutes, Twilight shivered in fear of the implications.

Twilight,
Luna’s coming. She knows.
Celestia

“Something troubling you, Twilight?” Twilight jumped into the air at the voice, her wings trying to help her put some distance between herself and the voice. Landing a short distance away, she finally looked around and noticed that Princess Luna had arrived.

Luna repeated, “Is something troubling you, Twilight?” Twilight shrunk slightly at Luna’s stern expression.

“N-No, Luna. Nothing is w-wrong!” she stammered, her wings refusing to fold back at her sides.

Luna took a step toward the crystal castle, “Then, may I speak to you in private?”

“What a-about?” Twilight curled back again, as if struck.

“I cannot say out here.”

Twilight stood up stiffly, like a prisoner on their way to the hangman’s noose. She whispered, “Pinkie promise…”

Luna only heard sound from Twilight, but not what she’d said. “What are you talking about?”

“Pinkie promise…” was the reply, a little louder this time.

“Pinkie promise what, Twilight?” Luna was starting to get annoyed now, Twilight wasn’t making any sense.

Shaking, Twilight added, “Pinkie promise you won’t hurt me!”

Sighing softly, Luna sat down and mimed out the Pinkie Pie Promise to Twilight, “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye, I will never hurt you with this conversation, Twilight.”

Nopony breaks a Pinkie promise, ever!” Pinkie shouted, popping out from behind a tree. Sliding behind it, she disappeared again.

Twilight sighed, relaxing visibly. “A-Alright. Let’s go inside.” She stepped up to Luna, continuing on to the Crystal Castle tree.

Luna nodded as Twilight passed and fell in behind her.


Luna marvelled at the castle tree’s interior. It looked much like the Crystal palace that Cadance and Shining Armor now lived in. Twilight led the pair up to her own bedroom suite, shutting the door behind them.

She pulled out a pair of cushions, one for herself and offered the second to Luna. “So, what did you wish to talk about, Luna?” she asked as she settled down, hoping Luna wouldn’t drop straight into her fears.

“I know what you and Celestia have been doing lately.” Luna smirked slyly, settling into her own cushion.

Twilight’s mouth opened wide and she sputtered uselessly. After a moment, she recovered, “I…”

Luna held a hoof up. “Don’t mistake me.” She shook her head and brought Celestia’s letter out. “I saw what dear ‘Tia had sent, and it made it look like I was mad. I am not.” Twilight quirked an eyebrow. “I merely wish to offer my congratulations. My sister is not easily wooed.”

“W-What?” Twilight’s tail flicked once in agitation.

“Twilight, since you two have started courting, my sister has been happier than I’d ever seen her.”

Luna stood and brought her cushion next to Twilight’s, and settled down next to her. “Now, I’m still going to have to give you the ‘Big sibling’ speech, but I can save that for after our formal duel.”

Twilight’s wings shot wide, “D-Duel?”

Now Luna was confused. “Why are you so confused? Did you not know about the formal duel for her hoof?”

Twilight was speechless, her eyes wide.

“She did not tell you?” Luna sighed as Twilight’s pupils shrunk to tiny dots. “There is an obscure law. It went into effect after Celestia noticed more than a few courtiers attempting to woo me at a very young age. It stated that any that wish to court one of us must win a formal duel with the other sister.”

Twilight fell over onto the floor. Luna checked to make sure she was still conscious before continuing, “Celestia never took any suitors, so I never was forced to duel anypony, though she has several hundred victories to hers over my suitors over the centuries.”

“Twilight, are you still listening?” Twilight’s ear twitched in her direction and she took it as a sign to continue, “I will not go easy on you, Twilight Sparkle. If you wish to continue courting my sister, you must prove yourself worthy. In one week, we shall duel. If you win, you shall be allowed to continue courting her. If I shall prevail, then you must break it off with her, never to attempt again.”

Twilight was lifted into her own bed and set down gently. “I will send you a letter to the same effect on the ‘morrow. Rest peacefully, Twilight Sparkle, you will need all the help you can get.”

PreviousChapters Next