• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 20,181 Views, 301 Comments

Scootaloo: Princess for a Day - RaylanKrios



Scootaloo wins a contest and gets to be a co-ruler of Equestria for twenty four hours.

  • ...
7
 301
 20,181

Chapter 5

“Do not mistake my meaning Tia, as I am glad that you have acquiesced to my request in selecting Scootaloo, but do you not think that a public coronation is overdoing it?” Luna asked her sister as they prepared for tomorrow's festivities.

It was late in the evening in Canterlot, and the castle staff was hurriedly rushing to furnish the castle grounds for tomorrow’s big day under the watchful eyes of Celestia and the less watchful eyes of Luna.

Celestia regarded her sister curiously, “Coronations are such wonderful events, and we hold them so infrequently,” she said, gesturing with a hoof to signal two pegasi that the banners needed to be raised higher.

“If I recall, at our coronation you seized the crown from the high septum and placed it on your head yourself.”

Celestia waved her hoof dismissively. “A symbolic gesture, times were different. There were those who doubted that I possessed the will to rule, and with that act I laid to rest any notion that I regarded anypony as above me.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “Or perhaps it was just another illustration of your love for needless theatrics.”

“Scootaloo is going to be a princess, she needs a coronation,” Celestia replied flatly, ending any further discussion of the matter.


Scootaloo was woken up by a gentle knock. The clock on her nightstand told her it was seven in the morning. Ugh Princesses don’t get to sleep in? she thought as she rubbed her eyes and stumbled toward the door. She opened the large door to her chambers to find the dress she had selected last night hanging freshly pressed from a small valet, as well as platter of waffles on a warming plate, a bowl of fresh strawberries and a small carton of vanilla ice cream waiting patiently in an ice bucket. A note placed next to the waffles read:

Princess Scootaloo your coronation is at nine in the throne room; please let me know if you need anything before then.
-Vanilla Sky

Scootaloo enjoyed her waffles with ice cream and then took a long shower, being sure to carefully wash her mane and tail as well as scrub the dirt out from under her hooves. At 8:50 she walked toward the throne room to find Celestia and Luna waiting for her.

Both princesses smiled as she approached. “Good morning Scootaloo. Luna has prevailed upon me to keep the ceremony brief. I shall walk in first, then Luna. You will follow and kneel in front of the throne. I will then crown you and you shall be officially a princess.” Celestia said.

“Just like that?” Scootaloo asked, more than a little skeptical that such a brief ceremony could result in what was technically a massive power shift.

“Just like that,” Luna said with a reassuring smile. “Though I still maintain the whole affair could be conducted without this needless ritual.”

“Tradition is important, dear sister,” Celestia replied, again ending any further discussion of the matter.

The usually impressive throne room of Canterlot Castle had been transformed into a monument to opulent elegance. Grand stained glass windows softly diffused a rainbow colored hue of light as it flooded into the space. The room itself was open, high arched ceilings and convex walls gave the illusion that the throne room was bigger than its already considerable square footage. Celebratory banners, decorated with images of the sun and the moon hung in the air suspended only by magic. At the far end of the room, directly facing the entrance two thrones sat on an elevated platform. Between the two thrones sat a small crown, identical to the ones worn by Luna and Celestia only with a shimmering moonstone lovingly placed in the center.

The assembled staff and noble ponies all stood in front of the platform, eagerly awaiting the festivities with a quiet buzz of excited chatter.

Princess Celestia walked in first and sat on her throne, a literal gilded chair with a sun carved into the headpiece; upholstered with the softest of silk. Luna followed and took her seat next to her sister on her own gilded chair with a moon carved into the headpiece. The crowd quieted and watched with rapt attention as Scootaloo walked in front of the two princesses and knelt on one knee, her wings buzzing the only betrayal of her nervousness.

Celestia waved to the crowd and then turned to face Scootaloo. “Scootaloo, in sight of these ponies, my sister and yourself, I Princess Celestia, the Dawn Bringer, hereby crown you a princess, in the name of the sun and moon. So it is said, so it shall be.”

Princess Celestia flared her horn and levitated the small crown, placing it gently on top of Scootaloo’s head.

“Rise Scootaloo! Princess of Equestria,” she announced triumphantly, making her voice heard over the roar of the crowd.

“All hail Princess Scootaloo, long may she reign,” Regal called out in the royal voice. “For today anyway,” he added, much to the delight of the assembled ponies.

The castle grounds trembled from the noise as the applause and hoof stomping reached its climax. Had this been a traditional coronation, with the new princess being ascended into an alicorn, Scootaloo would have taken this moment to fly into the sky and light up the sky with her horn in a gesture of her newfound status. But as it was Celestia wrapped her magic around Scootaloo and lifted her high in the air, while Luna reluctantly provided the accompanying fireworks. Scootaloo waved from her lofty perch, to more cheers, and was gently set back on the ground.

The royal photographer took Scootaloo’s official portrait in front of the hanging banners, then a picture of the three Princesses together by the throne and then one of Scootaloo with the adoring crowd providing the backdrop.

“So I’m really a princess now?” Scootaloo asked once the room had emptied to allow for a moments peace before the day was set to begin in earnest.

“Indeed you are,” Celestia said as she gestured to the throne room, her wings spreading open as though she was introducing Scootaloo to her new kingdom.

Lunas groaned and glanced at her sister, who responded with a smirk. “You’re really going to make me do this Tia?”

“Yes I am,” Celestia replied with thinly concealed mirth in her voice. “There are three princesses now which means that we need to ensure an orderly distribution of power.

Luna groaned again, “I Luna Invictus, Princess of the Night, the Dusk Bringer and Guardian of Dreams, do hereby grant my proxy to Princess Celestia with the instruction that she use it to further the interest of the ponies of Equestria and that it be returned to me at dusk tonight.” Her forced monologue finished she rolled her eyes. “Did I get that right dear sister?”

“Yes you did, I hereby accept your proxy. So it is said, so it shall be.”

“Umm what just happened?” Scootaloo asked, unsure of the implications of what she had just witnessed.

“My sister’s penchant for ostentatious rituals has reared its ugly head yet again,” Luna replied, ignoring a playful scowl from her sister. “Since I am temporarily divested from the powers of a princess I believe I shall use this newfound freedom to enjoy some much needed relaxation. Rule well sister, and you too Scootaloo,” Luna said before a powerful flap of her wings carried her out the window.

Scootaloo looked up at Celestia, hoping to receive further clarification. “Ignore her, she has no respect for ceremony. Luna has vested me with her vote should we disagree, that is all that was. It is important that we be able to rule without all three of us present.”

“All three of us? So I really am a Princess?” Scootaloo replied with increasingly wide eyes.

“You are,” replied Celestia with a smile.

“And all these ponies have to do what I say?” Scootaloo said calling attention to the consignment of royal guards stationed in the throne room.

“They do,” Celestia responded a little more warily, wings now folded at her side.

“Hey you there!” Scootaloo shouted as she pointed to a guard standing to the side of the throne, against the far wall. “Stand on two legs.”

Only guards who achieved “elite” rankings served in the castle, and a guard did not earn “elite” ranking by considering his orders. So despite the ridiculousness of the order as well as the fact that it came from a princess crowned all of ten minutes ago, the guard posted on the eastward facing wall immediately did as he was told, lifting both of his right legs up and balancing on his left.

Scootaloo giggled at her newfound power, “Now jump up and down,” she squealed, clapping her hooves together. The guard did as he was bid, and she was about to order him to sing “I’m a little teapot” until felt a wing land on her shoulder.

“Scootaloo, a princess should always treat those who serve her with respect, Silver Shield is a good and loyal guard stallion. Tell me what purpose does making him jump up and down serve?” Celestia's tone was not harsh, but it was firm.

“I’m sorry Princess Celestia,” Scootaloo replied, thoroughly chastised. “You can stop now,” she said, directing her attention back to the guard.

Celestia responded with a small shake of her head. “Do not apologize to me, I was not the one whom you wronged.”

Scootaloo scrunched her face for a moment and hopped down off the platform. She approached the guard, who had quietly returned to his post. “I’m sorry I made you jump up and down, I’m kinda new at the whole princess thing,” she said apologetically.

“I understand your highness,” came the stoic reply.

“Are you mad at me?”

“I serve at the pleasure of the crown your highness,” the guard answered, still not betraying any emotion.

Scootaloo wasn’t sure what that meant, but the persistent pit in her stomach informed her she had embarrassed a guard who was just doing his job. She wondered if her mom ever felt embarrassed at her job, which caused her to wonder more about the stallion standing in front of her. “Do you have a family?” she asked, hoping to connect in some small way with the emotionless slab in front of her.

“Yes your highness, I have a wife and two fillies,” Silver Shield answered, his demeanor unchanged.

“They’re lucky to have a dad like you.”

For the first time the guard’s stoic exterior began to crack and Silver Shield shifted his posture ever so slightly. “Thank you your highness. That is very kind of you to say.”

“You should take them somewhere fun, on me, to make up for embarrassing you just now.” Scootaloo looked over her shoulder. “Do princesses get paid? Can I do that?”

Celestia nodded. “The castle maintains a discretionary fund, as princess you have every right to direct its use. So it is said, so shall it be. Silver Shield stop by the treasury after your shift and the treasurer will provide you with a stipend that you may take your family somewhere fun with the apologies of the crown.”

“Thank you your highness that is most generous of you. I shall be sure to tell my daughters of the benevolence of Princess Scootaloo when I take them to the water park this weekend.”

Scootaloo smiled and returned to the throne. “Wow being a Princess is cool, I made a mistake and I got to fix it just like that,” she said beaming with pride.

“Tis true, you have the power to correct not only your wrongs but the wrongs of others. But remember Scootaloo it was your own power that led you to make the error in the first place. You would do well to remember that in court.”

“You’re really going to let me decide things at court?”

“The proper term is ‘preside’, and yes. You are a Princess, presiding over court is one of your royal duties. However, I still accompany you, should you require any advice.”

Celestia waved to the captain who opened the grand throne room doors, letting in a small crowd of ponies, eager to have their disputes resolved.

“Today’s court shall be presided over by Princess Scootaloo. Princess Celestia will serve in an advisory role, be aware that the same rules of decorum still apply,” Regal announced to the assembled crowd, some of whom looked quite perplexed at the sight of a filly sitting on Celestia’s throne while Celestia herself sat on a cushion off to the right. A few ponies grumbled and turned around to leave, evidently not wanting to plead their case to the new Princess.

“Hey that’s not fair, why should they leave just because I’m in charge? They don’t even know me.” Scootaloo asked indignantly, turning to Celestia.

“That is true,” Celestia replied solemnly.

“Make them come back!”

“Scootaloo, you could order them to stay, but do you think that will make a favorable impression?”

“No,” Scootaloo admitted reluctantly. “But they judged me without even knowing me”

“Ponies do that sometimes. I have had ponies leave when I’ve taken over Luna’s court and she has had the same. It is a sad fact of being a princess that many ponies will judge you without proper context.”

“How do you deal with it?” Scootaloo wondered.

“I try to be fair and hope that word of my actions will reach them and cause them to reconsider.”

Hearing that even Celestia was not immune to petty slights helped Scootaloo handle her own anger. “I can do that,” she said taking a deep breath to calm her nerves.

“Excellent,” Celestia turned to the captain. “The Princess is ready to hear her first respondents,” she announced with a straight face that betrayed her enjoyment at being able to observe court in an advisory role.

One blue earth pony and one orange earth pony stepped forward; from their outward appearance it was unclear what their reasons for visiting court could be. “Your highness,” the blue stallion started hesitantly. “My name is Trotter, I have a lemon tree in my backyard and he keeps stealing my lemons,” he said gesturing to the orange stallion next to him. “I want him to pay for all the lemons he’s taken.”

“My name is Auburn your majesty,” the orange stallion said, bowing slightly. “The lemon tree’s branches hang over my side of the fence.” He turned to Trotter. “Those lemons are on my property it’s not stealing!”

“The tree is on my side of the fence!” Trotter shot back.

Feeling authoritative from her new seat on an actual throne and a crown on her head Scootaloo raised her hoof to signal both ponies to be quiet. “Do you usually sell your lemons?” she asked Trotter.

“No, but I could if I wanted to,” the blue stallion replied.

“See he’s just trying to extort me.” Auburn said, an accusingly smug tone coloring his voice.

“Okay I think I get it, do either of you have anything else to say?” Scootaloo interjected before the dispute devolved into name calling.

Both ponies shook their head and Scootaloo turned to Celestia. “What should I do?”

Celestia flared her horn and quickly cast a cone of silence so that she could speak to Scootaloo without being overheard. “What do you think you should do?”

“You’re not going to tell me?”

“No. This is an excellent first case for you. The respondents are normal ponies having an honest disagreement, and the dispute is small enough that no matter which way you rule you will not threaten the stability of Equestria.”

Scootaloo’s eyes went wide. “I could bring down the kingdom?”

“Theoretically, you are vested with the full power of the crown. Rest assured though that I would stop you before you did so. Remember I hold Luna’s proxy while she is away, but you have the authority of a Princess and this dispute is in your hooves.”

Scootaloo thought about the case she had just heard, she didn’t know much about property rights but she did understand disagreements. She fought with Diamond Tiara frequently and Cheerilee often had to play peacemaker. Cheerilee always listened to both ponies and then usually decided on a solution that neither pony liked, but both could live with, even when Diamond Tiara was being a total jerk.

She thought about what the ponies had told her, not that their dispute was all that complicated, and nodded at Princess Celestia who promptly dissipated the cone. “I’ve made my decision.” Scootaloo announced. ‘Trotter, you can’t make Auburn pay for the lemons he already took because you weren’t going to sell them and you don’t have any proof that he took them. But Auburn, you are not allowed to take anymore lemons from off of the tree, the trunk of the tree is on Trotter’s property and that means that all the lemons on the branches are his. However if a lemon falls off the tree and lands on your side of the fence then it is yours. Also you guys are neighbors; maybe you could share the lemons anyway.”

“So it said, so it shall be!” called out Regal as the castle scribe wrote down the decision in the castle records, should anypony need to cite the decision as a precedent.

Both ponies nodded, mumbled some form of a thank you, though it was hard to hear and sulked off.

“How’d I do?” Scootaloo asked turning back to Princess Celestia, a little disappointed that the ponies didn’t thank her more effusively.

“A very fair ruling,” Celestia mused.

Scootaloo pumped her hoof in the air. “Sweet, I got it right!”

But before Scootaloo could bask in the glow of her accomplishment Celestia interrupted her self-congratulations. “One could argue that just because the lemons are no longer attached to the tree that does not mean that they no longer belong to Trotter. Your property doesn’t become someone else when you leave it at their house does it? Of course one could also argue since Equestrian property laws traditionally declare property to consist of both the land and the space above that land, that the lemons on the branches belong to Auburn whether or not they touch the ground.”

Scootaloo’s face fell. “I was wrong?”

“Not at all, I am trying to show you that there are many ways to think about things. As a Princess it is rare that you are presented with a situation containing an obvious right answer.”

The morning continued, as did the procession of ponies wishing to see the Princess. There were two more property disputes, three cases of ponies arguing about who should pay for damages that occurred during storms, one situation where a mare was complaining that a neighbor’s new baby was keeping her up at night, (go get some earplugs for goodness sake! said Scootaloo), one pony wanted to invite Celestia to spend more time in the northern part of her kingdom and another pony just wanted to be able to say she met the Princess. Around lunch time Celestia noticed an increasingly fidgeting Scootaloo doing her best to stay calm and took pity on her.

“Thank you for coming everypony, court is adjourned for the day. If you wish you may make an appointment for a future date, or simply take your dispute to an appellate judge,” Celestia announced in such a commanding tone of voice that any protest was preemptively quashed.

“Wow, you do that every day?” Scootaloo asked as the two Princesses were walking back to the dining hall.

“No, some days are actually trying.” Celestia said, laughing. “I do not hold court every day, but I do try to make myself available to anypony who wishes an audience.”

“But why? Some of those arguments were sooo petty. Don’t they realize that you have better things to be doing?”

“That might be how it looks to you, but to them those disputes are important. Part of being a princess is caring about your subjects. And one way to demonstrate that I care is to listen to their problems, or at least have you do it for me,” Celestia said, stifling another laugh.

“Am I gonna have to do more?”

“No, you did very well Scootaloo but I wouldn’t want your first day of ruling to be too boring. How about we get some lunch and then we can do whatever you want.”

Scootaloo lit up, “Can I ride my scooter in the castle?”

Celestia let out a most un-princess like giggle. “I don’t see why not, but perhaps you should stay away from the great hall. There are many other hallways in the castle that do not have priceless works of stained glass in them that I believe would be more suitable for ‘scooter-ing’.”

“Deal!”

Back in the dining hall, Celestia ordered a daisy sandwich, an apple and a glass of milk for her lunch.

“You can order anything you want, why would you get a daisy sandwich?” Scootaloo asked, bewildered.

Celestia studied the filly in front of her, trying to discern the meaning of the question. “I like daisy sandwiches.” She smiled sagely as the crux of Scootaloo’s question occurred to her. “If I ordered orange scented roses for lunch every day I think I would quite miss the pleasures of the humble daisy. And so often I am at functions whose chefs try to impress me with exotic flavor combinations. It is rare that I get to enjoy a simple lunch with good company and I think a daisy sandwich with an apple and a glass of milk is the perfect meal for such an occasion.”

Scootaloo hadn’t really considered that daisy sandwiches could be a delicacy before, she just assumed that Celestia ate roses and orchids for every meal. She ordered her own lunch, Hay fingers and fries, and in short order the two princesses were happily enjoying a quiet lunch, free of the burdens of the crown.

“Hey Princes-I mean Celestia?” Scootaloo asked between hay fries.

“Yes Scootaloo?”

“Can I declare Diamond Tiara a plot head? Like officially and stuff?”

Celestia almost spit out her bite of sandwich, managing to stifle a laugh, turning it into a titter. “That would be unwise Scootaloo,” she managed to say with a straight face after swallowing the aforementioned bite of daisy.

“But she is a plot head! Besides she deserves it!”

“Why do you wish to tarnish this Diamond Tiara?” Celestia asked, stifling another laugh at her unintentional joke.

Scootaloo looked intently at the ground. “She’s always making fun of me, calling me blank flank and stuff.”

“Blank flank? Oh because you have not yet received your cutie mark. That is most curious; I was unaware that there had ever been born a pony that already had a cutie mark.”

Scootaloo titled her head in confusion until she realized what Celestia was implying. “Huh? Oh, no, she got hers a year ago.”

“Then she was a ‘blank flank’ at one time too.” Celestia rested a hoof on her chin, taking a very thoughtful bite of apple. “Ah so she is under the impression that you’re not having a cutie mark is a choice?” Celestia asked attempting to unravel the riddle that Scootaloo had presented her.

Scootaloo squirmed uncomfortably in her seat, despite its plush upholstery. “I don’t think so. She just keeps saying I’ll never get one, because I’m not good at anything,” she mumbled weakly.

“Scootaloo every pony who has ever lived has received a cutie mark. I refuse to believe that the capable young mare I’ve observed today is utterly talentless.” Celestia looked around furtively and spoke her next words in a whisper. “If bestowing a title of ‘plot head’ was not more trouble than it is worth, I assure you that there would be many ‘plot heads’ roaming these halls.”

Scootaloo looked up and smiled at the princess, the idea that even princesses were annoyed making her feel better about having a nemesis. Crisis averted the two princesses happily finished their lunch.

Author's Note:

Readers of my work will know that occasionally I use this space to recommend stories. So this chapter's recommendation is Scootaloo and the Cabinet of Seers and before you complain that I've recommended it before, It's really good and it only has 40 likes, which is outrageous. So if you like Scootaloo stories and can deal with the fact that it moves a little slowly in some respects go give it a read.

Most authors love feedback, thanks for reading.