• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 20,134 Views, 301 Comments

Scootaloo: Princess for a Day - RaylanKrios



Scootaloo wins a contest and gets to be a co-ruler of Equestria for twenty four hours.

  • ...
7
 301
 20,134

Prologue

“You’re kidding, right?" Discord shrieked in bewilderment at both Celestia and Luna. "You are seriously going to let some random foal become a ruler for a day?”

When Discord was invited to serve as an advisor to the crown his instincts told him to fly as fast as he could in the other direction. However , a talk with Fluttershy convinced him that he could use his years of experience and his “unique” point of view for the betterment of Equestria. Besides, he just couldn’t say no to her. Although when he accepted the offer he never would have imagined just how many terrible ideas the princesses had, it was as if they wanted him to take over Equestria again.

“Just think of all the chaos even one of those little things could do,” he said as a light bulb appeared above his head. He casually flicked it off with a snap of his fingers.“Actually, that sounds like a great idea," he continued, "Do what you want, toodles!” With a snap of his fingers and a puff of smoke he was gone.

Both princesses stared at the now vacant space for a moment. Luna recovered her voice first, “As much as I loathe it to agree with Discord, I am forced to concede that he may have a point, Tia. You seriously mean to have a foal rule the entirety of Equestria for a whole day?”

“I do,” Celestia replied, with a straight face.

“What if the Griffons or Minotaurs decide to launch an attack?”

“Yes Luna, if the Griffons or Minotaurs decide to end hundreds of years of prosperous peace for all our races, I am so beholden to the rules of a contest for children that I will insist our forces to be led into battle by a child. Do you think we should ensure that the winner has a working knowledge of counter siege tactics?”

“Sarcasm doesn’t become you, Tia. You lack the nuance to do it well. Why are you so insistent on this?”

Celestia let out an exasperated sigh. “Every year we invite the colts and fillies of Equestria to visit us. They tour the gardens, see the stained glass windows and then have a party with pizza and ice cream. It makes our lives seem like a fairy tale. It’d be nice if even just one child could learn that the life of princess is not all fun and games.”

“Is my esteemed sister, the ever wise and eternally benevolent princess of the sun, actually complaining? Does thy gilded crown rest uneasy on your head, Tia?" Luna remarked with a smirk.

Celestia playfully glared back at her sister, their friendly bickering had become a means by which they expressed their affection. There were few ponies they could playfully chide with, without causing an incident, and so both sisters relished the chance to let their guard down. “Sarcasm doesn’t become you either, dear sister.”

“I am not the one who is proposing we upset the carefully balanced power structure we fought so long and hard to achieve.”

“We will still retain our titles and powers, accordingly we can veto any measure the new prince or princesses orders that might threaten our precious balance. Does that set your mind at ease?”

Luna cracked another wry grin, “What if the new princess and I vote to remove you from the throne?”

Celestia rested her chin on a hoof and pretended to ponder the idea, “I had not considered that. Of course now that I am aware of your potential treachery, perhaps I should forge my own plan to depose you.”

“Do so, and I will start a rebellion and declare war on the new diarchy.”

“We do not even know who the new co-ruler will be and we are already scheming against each other.” Celestia smiled. “Let us agree to keep our alliance for now, for the good of Equestria, of course.”

“Of course, Tia. While I still have my reservations about allowing a child to actually be a ruler even, if only for a day, the kingdom does not run itself, or so you often remind me. Now if you’ll excuse me, I believe it is my turn to preside over court this evening. That is one duty I would be happy to delegate to our new co-ruler.”

“Rule well, sister,” Celestia said as Luna bowed in jest and headed out the door.

Author's Note:

Here's something I had lying around, so I decided to post some of it to see the reaction. Most authors love feedback.