• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 20,172 Views, 301 Comments

Scootaloo: Princess for a Day - RaylanKrios



Scootaloo wins a contest and gets to be a co-ruler of Equestria for twenty four hours.

  • ...
7
 301
 20,172

Chapter 1

“Okay my little ponies, please settle down," Cheerilee said trying to calm her pupils, "I have a very exciting announcement. The princesses have decided to let one lucky student be a prince or a princess for a whole day.”

The classroom of Ponyville Schoolhouse lit up with a buzz of excited chatter. Cheerilee stomped her hoof and spoke above the din. “All you have to do is write an essay about why you want to be a prince or a princess and I’ll pick the best ones to send to Canterlot. This is an extra credit assignment, so I won’t let you work on it in class of course, but if you would like me to look over your letter I’d be happy to help any of you after school. You have until Friday to hoof in your finished letters."

Dear Princess Celestia,

I’m not going to tell you why I should be princess, instead I’m going to tell you why I already am a princess. I have my own tiara and I’m very good at telling other ponies what to do. Daddy always say’s I’m his little princess and I think all of Equestria should agree with him. See you soon.

Princess Diamond Tiara

Diamond Tiara read over her letter with a sense of pride. She was already good at ordering ponies around, so being named an official princess was the next logical step. When she won, her first act would be to throw all the blank flanks in jail, then maybe she’d get some lunch or something before spending the rest of the day ordering the castle's staff to polish her jewelry. For dinner maybe she’d host a grand banquet with Silver Spoon, and make the rest of her classmates be servants. She had the power to do that if she was officially a princess, right? If not, giving herself that power would be the second thing she would do. It would have moved ahead of her “imprison all blank flanks” initiative but a good princess thought of Equestria first.


[/hr]

“You’re not writing a letter AB?”

While Diamond Tiara dreamed of imposing her will on Equestria, the Cutie Mark Crusaders had decided to postpone that afternoon crusade in favor of working on their own letters. They weren’t allowed to enter as a group but Cheerilee didn’t say they couldn’t help each other.

“Nah, I can’t really think of why Ah should be a princess. Ah’m just a simple earth pony and ah think I like it that way. What about you, Sweetie Belle?”

“Well if I were princess I could get box seats to a show in Manehattan and maybe I could give more funding to the arts so there could be more plays. What about you Scoots?”

“Oh you know, Wonderbolts tickets, ride my scooter in the castle, that kind of thing.” Scootaloo finished her explanation with a nervous sounding chuckle.

“Ah don’t think Princess Celestia is gonna make you a princess so you can ride your scooter indoors,” Apple Bloom said.

“Won’t know unless I ask right?”

Both ponies shrugged, unable to disagree and turned back to their own activities. With Sweetie Belle back to being absorbed in her own letter and Apple Bloom having turned her attention to throwing darts, Scootaloo looked down at her real letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

My name is Scootaloo and I’m a pegasus from Ponyville. I can’t fly yet because my wings haven’t grown in properly, but one day I’m going to be as awesome as Rainbow Dash.

She had met the Princesses did she really need to introduce herself? On the other hoof it seemed presumptuous to think that they princesses would remember her, better play it safe and leave the introduction.

I live with my mom, Dizzy Twister. She’s almost always too busy with work to hang out with me, but that’s okay because I have two great friends to hang out with. I don’t know much about my dad. He died a long time ago and I never got to meet him. Mom doesn’t like to talk about him.

I want to be a princess for only one reason, I’d like to be loved and admired by everypony, even if it is only for a short time. I want to show my mom a picture of me surrounded by lots of ponies and being loved. I think if she sees how important it is to me then maybe she’ll stop caring about work so much and spend more time with me. I know she works really hard to put food on the table and keep us in our house, but I would be okay with living in a smaller place and eating radish soup for dinner every now and then if it meant I got to spend some more time with her.

I know it’s a lot to ask, but I never got a chance to meet my dad and it makes me sad that I never get to see my mom either. I just want us to be able to spend more time together, and this is the only way I can think of to get her attention. I know there are a lot of other fillies and colts who probably have better reasons for wanting to be a prince or princess but that’s mine. Please Princesses, I don’t know what else to do.

Respectfully,
Scootaloo

The crusaders finished their afternoon together and each went their separate ways to return home for dinner. Scootaloo arrived at her door and tentatively stepped inside. As usual her house was empty and she momentarily felt the sharp sting of sadness at the fact that her mother wasn’t home. The sharp pain she initially felt quickly dulled to a familiar ache and she went on about her evening.

In a moment of weakness she briefly imagined what it would be like to have a mother who wasn’t working all the time. She would tell her about the essay she wrote to try and be princess for a day, (of course it would have been a different essay), and her mother would listen intently and smile, maybe telling Scoots a little about her own day at work. They’d make a nice dinner together and then after dinner Scootaloo liked to imagine she would curl up in her mother’s embrace while her mother gently preened her tiny wings, and then Scootaloo would fall asleep feeling safe and loved in her mother’s forelegs. But her mother was always busy and she was just a filly who couldn’t do anything about that. So instead she made a daisy sandwich, preened her own wings rather haphazardly and, after doing her homework and watching a little TV, she was about to go get ready for bed. But a pang of loneliness ate at her. She wanted to see her mom, and so even though she knew she shouldn’t, she went to sleep on the couch, hoping that her mom would wake her up when she walked in.

Sure enough Scootaloo bolted awake as her mom turned the lights on, unaware that Scootaloo was sleeping on the couch. “Hi mom,” she said, rubbing her eyes as they adjusted to the sudden influx of light. A clock on the wall read 11:30, way past her bedtime.

“Scootaloo, sweetie, we’ve talked about this. I need to work a double shift for a while and that means I need to be able to trust you to go to bed on time, in your own room.”

“I know Mom, but we haven’t seen each other in a few days. I missed you.”

Dizzy expression softened. “I miss you too sweetie. But it’s only for a few more months, then I can go back to my usual hours.”

“Oh so I’ll get to see you for five minutes in the morning sometimes,” Scootaloo groused.

Dizzy let out an exasperated sigh. “Scootaloo, we’ve talked about this too. I make more money if I work the late shift. If we keep saving, maybe I can pay down the mortgage enough to think about working a regular shift but until then I need your help, we’re a team.”

Scootaloo was about to argue but one look at the harried face of her mom told her that would be a cruel thing to do. “Okay mom I’m sorry,” she said softly. Scootaloo reared up on her hind legs and wrapped her forelegs around her mother’s neck, enjoying a rare hug.

Dizzy returned the hug with another sigh. “Thank you dear. But now it’s time for bed okay?”

“Okay mom,” Scootaloo said before trudging upstairs and tucking herself in, feeling very much alone.