• Published 29th Sep 2014
  • 5,057 Views, 158 Comments

The Wacky Adventures of Sonata at Canterlot High - ShadowRebelKSX



The silly adventures of Sonata in her new life at Canterlot high

  • ...
8
 158
 5,057

Sleepover Part 1

The Wacky Adventures of Sonata at Canterlot High

Chapter 3: Sleepover

After a short walk up a long driveway, Vinyl opened her home’s door to Sonata, and the pair entered Vinyl Scratch’s spacious and tastefully furnished abode. It was a house. A real house, with multiple floors and, Sonata hoped, a backyard to play in. It was a far cry from the slummy fourth-floor studio apartment Sonata had shared with Adagio and Aria. No secret knocks, no keys unlocking half a dozen deadbolts, no perverted bum holding a bottle of hooch in one hand, and trying to grab her ass with the other.

Vinyl just opened the door, and walked right in. Sonata seemed a bit confused. Not just at the manner in which her new pal casually entered her home, but at how toned down and laid back the décor seemed, considering Vinyl was a DJ. Bucolic paintings of apple orchards and farmhouses hung upon the cream-colored walls, and the sweet smell of fresh flowers filled the air.

"Mom! I'm home," Vinyl called out, "and I brought a friend over."

Sonata turned and saw a youthful woman, not yet in her 40s, with hair similar to Vinyl's except longer and more kempt. Vinyl’s mother, Sonata assumed, had irises of a more red hue as opposed to Vinyl's magenta eyes. Other than that, they looked more like sisters than mother and daughter.

"Oh Vinyl, who’s…" She stopped mid-sentence, shooting Sonata an icy glare. “Wait. I saw your picture in the newspapers. Weren’t you one of those girls that tried to take over my daughter's school?"

Sonata felt herself melting under the wilting gaze. "U­-um, well y­-you see…"

Vinyl stepped forward, positioning herself between friend and parent. "Mom chill, she’s had it pretty rough since then." Vinyl walked over to her mom and whispered an abridged version of Sonata's story.

Vinyl's mother’s glare softened after hearing of Sonata’s heartbreaking woes. "That’s…that’s an awful thing, what happened to you. If my sweetie trusts you, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But if you do anything to hurt her…"

"Mom calm down, seriously. Everything is under control." Vinyl reassured her mom, giving her a pat on the back.

Vinyl's mom smiled. "Alright alright, I get it.” She turned to Sonata, extending her hand. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Jasmine. But please, call me Jazz.”

The siren hesitated briefly, before extending her own hand and shaking Jazz’s with a gentle grip. “Sonata.”

“That’s a nice name. Sonata. I like it.” Jazz turned back to her daughter, eyebrow raised questioningly. “Now, wasn't one of your other friends coming over as well?"

"Oh yeah, that’s right. Thanks for reminding me, Mom. Where’s Dad, by the way?" Vinyl asked her mother.

Vinyl's mom frowned. "He's working late again, Vinyl."

Vinyl’s face twisted in annoyance. "Oh come on. Again?"

"You know he does it because he loves you; I mean, that car cost an arm and a leg, missy, even with Mr. Witwicky’s generous discounts." Vinyl's mom smirked at the last bit of her comment.

Vinyl chuckled and scratched the back of her neck. "Heheheh, yeeeah."

Sonata stood there in silence, saying nothing. She never knew her mother or even if she had one; it made her feel both happy and sad to see Vinyl interact with hers.

Just then the doorbell rang out, a four toned chime. "I’ve got the door," Vinyl added, crossing the living room before opening it. "Hey, Tavi."

Vinyl’s new guest rolled her eyes at the nickname. Octavia was a lovely name; much too pretty to be butchered, truncated, or otherwise altered. It peeved her that her best friend couldn’t just take the effort to sound out two extra syllables. Oc-tav-i-a. "Why do you insist on calling me that?" she replied.

Before Vinyl could respond, Octavia saw Sonata conversing with Vinyl's mom. "What is she doing here?!" Octavia asked quite snappily.

"Octavia calm down, okay?” Vinyl pleaded, her voice dropping to a low whisper. "Sonata is gonna crash at my house for…. a bit."

Octavia sighed. “And what makes you think she’s changed since her friends and her were beaten?"

"Well she’s got a good heart to-" Octavia didn't even let Vinyl finish before practically dragging her to Vinyl's bedroom.

Once behind closed doors, Octavia scoffed. "A good heart?! Are you serious, Vinyl?" Octavia rubbed the bridge of her nose. "That has got to be the most ham-fisted thing I've ever heard. I mean, I can see Principal Celestia saying that, but you?" Octavia shook her head.

Vinyl countered, "Oh my god, are we really gonna do this?"

Octavia looked almost disgusted at Vinyl’s comments. "How are you taking this so casually?!"

"Tavi… just give it a rest, okay?" Vinyl rubbed her temples in exasperation.

"She’s a bloody siren, Vinyl. How can you possibly think she can be redeemed?" Octavia lashed at her friend.

Vinyl’s temper reached a boiling point. "How about we leave it at, YOU are not me, therefore I make my own decisions… alright?"

Octavia just shot Vinyl a disappointed glare. "Fine...but when she’s trying to possess the school again, don't bother coming to me...I won't feel very up to saying I told you so."

Vinyl sighed. "Sure, whatevs Tavi… be a big freaking jerk about it."

Octavia didn't even bother responding, simply getting up to leave. She made it as far as the door before Vinyl responded. "You do realize if you’re gonna stay the night, that you’re gonna have to get along with Sonata, right?"

Octavia paused and facepalmed. In her anger at seeing Sonata, she had completely forgotten that Vinyl had invited her to sleep over that night.

Vinyl smirked. "Didn't think this whole thing through, did you?"

Octavia glanced over her shoulder. "Remind me why we're friends again?"

Vinyl smiled, her smirk morphing into a genuine grin. “I don't know, you tell me, Tavi."

Octavia sighed but then smiled as well; she didn't know why, but no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't stay mad at Vinyl regardless of their past quarrels, spats, and squabbles.

Octavia let out another sigh. "Alright, I'll try to get along with her...keyword is try."

Vinyl nodded as they walked back to Sonata with Octavia following her. Sonata was in the process of exploring Vinyl's house, examining the various bric-à-brac scattered throughout the living room. Vinyl strolled over to Sonata and patted her on the shoulder, addressing her new friend. "Hey Sonata, what'cha doing?"

Sonata replied, half smiling, a contemplative look on her face. "Oh well, being a siren I'm not used to staying in one place. Aria, Adagio, and I would always roam finding places to feed off magic."

Vinyl smiled. "Chill Sonata; you don't have to worry about a thing. Me and Tavi will take good care of ya."

Octavia curtly added, "Um excuse me, when exactly did I agree to helping a siren?"

"Tavi, can we please not start this?" Vinyl said as she rolled her eyes, not wanting to argue over this subject with her friend again.

Octavia threw her arms in the air in exasperation. "Fine, whatever...Octavia, how do you get yourself tangled into these situations...oh right, it’s because you’re friends with Vinyl!" she added, mockingly.

Vinyl stuck her tongue out at Octavia and grinned. Octavia returned the smile before turning to Sonata, giving her the stink eye. "Don't try anything funny, understand?"

Sonata, feeling slightly intimidated, replied, "Uh, o-ok Miss Tavi…"

"It’s Octavia, Oc-tav-i-a!" Octavia snapped at Sonata.

Sonata quickly hid behind Vinyl for safety. "Eep, I'm sorry Miss Octavia."

Octavia took a deep breath in before addressing Sonata, more calmly this time. "It’s…. alright, I apologize for that unneeded outburst."

Vinyl patted them both on the back, proud of their bonding moment. "Alright ladies, it’s time to get this sleepover…” she added, as she slowly removed her glasses and continued, “…under way."

Jazz hurried through the living room, car keys jangling in her right hand and clutch purse in her left. "Alright, you girls have fun! I'm off to run some errands… I can trust you to look after yourself and your friends tonight, Vinyl?" Vinyl was dismissive, waving off her mom as Jazz opened the living room door.

"Don't sweat it mom, I totes got this handled."

Vinyl's mom smirked, eyebrow raised. "Last time you said that we had to completely repair the bathroom."

"M-mom, I thought we were over that….incident." Vinyl's cheeks gained a slight blush.

Vinyl's mom shook her head, a small smile on her face. "It’s alright, I trust you, have a good time you three." Walking through the opened door, Jazz pulled it shut behind her, and the musical jingle of moving keys faded slowly. Not wanting to be obvious about her observations, Vinyl waited until the telltale sound of her mom’s car’s muffler was inaudible before turning back to her guests.

Vinyl proudly pumped her fist in the air. "Alright girls, let’s get into our PJs and kick this night off, right now."

Sonata tapped Vinyl on the shoulder. Her face was flushed, and she grinned sheepishly. "Um Vinyl...I don't own any PJs..."

"Well, that’s no good,” Vinyl laughed, a braying guffaw that made Octavia roll her eyes. “Don't worry I'll spot ya, you can totes borrow one of my pairs."

With that, the three of them went and changed into their respective pajamas. Vinyl's pajamas were a dark blue neon with a soundwave on the back. Octavia's pair was in a silverish gray with letters styled like music notes that spelled Octavia and Sonata's were a dark green with an amplifier made of lightning bolts on the back.

"Alright, now let’s get this night started proper. Sonata, can you make us a bag of popcorn while me and Octy get the room ready for the festivities?" Vinyl asked her new bestie.

Sonata nodded eagerly. "Yeah sure, I can do that."

Vinyl smiled and gave Sonata a thumbs-up. "Sweet! Let’s go get my room totes sleepover ready Octy."

Octavia rolled her eyes and cracked a smile "Oh, so it’s Octy now huh?"

Vinyl smiled, playfully punching Octavia's shoulder. "Oh shut up, ya musical nerd."

The two went to Vinyl's room as Sonata went to make the popcorn, she found the air popper rather easily but the popcorn took a while to find. Finally Sonata found a twenty pound bag of popcorn kernels in the cupboard, missing the three one-pound bags in the shadows of the cabinet. "Alright, I found it."

Meanwhile Octavia and Vinyl had finished prepping Vinyl's room. Each of them had a bean bag chair to sit in, there were plenty of snacks and drinks for the three of them, sans popcorn, and there was a nice air mattress for each of them once they finally turned in.

Octavia turned to Vinyl. "So if you have all this food here...why did you want Sonata to make popcorn?"

"Come on Octy, you can't start a sleepover without popcorn," Vinyl answered flatly.

Octavia was about to argue her friend's point before she realized she had never been to a sleepover that didn't start with popcorn. She supposed Vinyl was right in this case.

Sonata then walked back in the room. "Alright girls, the popcorn should be ready any minute now."

"Cool, thanks Sonata!" Vinyl high fived her blue-haired buddy. "Hey, have you gotten any word from Principal Celestia about re-enrolling yet?"

Sonata began, "Well not-"

Dark soda sprayed from Octavia’s mouth. "WHAT?! She’s re-enrolling at Canterlot High?!" Octavia blurted out in confusion, her tone a mix of shock and anger.

"No come on Octy, a little louder, we gotta make sure people over in Baltimare can hear you clear as day," Vinyl dryly replied to her friend's outburst. Octavia was about to argue with her friend again, but when she came to the conclusion that it would just be a game of verbal ring around the rosy, she decided against it. Octavia took a long, deep breath before continuing.

"Vinyl...I'm not going to press this matter anymore, but don't you think it’s not the best idea for Sonata to re-enroll, mostly because the fact she and her friends tried to take over the school and the whole ordeal is still rather fresh in the student's minds?"

"Look Octy, maybe wording my reasoning as 'She’s got a good heart' is rather shallow, so here’s what I really mean by that: Sonata never really came off to me as gleefully evil like Aria or Adagio did; I guess when I say a ‘good heart’ I mean she seems the most innocent and the most soft souled. I get you don't trust her and honestly you have every right not to, but I think if you give her a chance, she may just surprise you."

Octavia looked at Vinyl then slowly turned to Sonata who had an innocent and shy expression on her face. She almost felt guilty. "Alright…fine, I'll give her a chance Vinyl, but don't expect us to become friends overnight or anything. Sorry I've been rather cold to you, Sonata."

Sonata waved Octavia off. "Oh it’s ok, I know me and my friends- well...ex-friends did some nasty things and I don't expect anyone to forgive me very soon; heck I think Principal Celestia doesn't actually trust me…she probably just helped me cause she’s such a kind lady."

"I hate to ruin this touching moment, but the popcorn is totes mcgotes gonna burn if we don't go get it." Vinyl stood, as did Octavia and Sonata.

Octavia opened the door to go to the kitchen...and got absolutely buried in popcorn.

"O-Octy!" Vinyl exclaimed, worried about her friend’s well-being. "Where the heck did all this popcorn come from?"

Octavia clawed her way out of the mountain of popcorn, popped kernels sticking to her previously well-groomed brunette hair. "Sonata, you did only put one bag on, right?"

Sonata nodded in reply. "Yes I did, I put in just one bag of popcorn kernels like you asked, Vinyl." She pointed to the twenty pound sack of popcorn kernels on the counter, the majority of its bulk now empty.

Octavia resisted the sudden strong urge to smash her head against the wall.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, I'm back, hope you all had a great Christmas and a fantastic new year.

So I've been taking in feedback and the biggest one I've gotten is over the pacing of this story, looking back I HAVE been going a little too fast so my editor went ahead and added some more detail to the draft I sent him, hopefully this is much better paced then the first two chapters, I mean far be it from me to be all Operation Overdrive with this, I should take a more In Space or RPM pace for this and god forbid I end up going Turbo on you guys.

for any of you that got any of that Power Rangers stuff there is a brohoof right here for you /)

in any case, I'm gonna slow myself down and try and put more detail into these chapters, as always feedback is much welcomed and I'll see you next chapter ;)