• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 15,744 Views, 1,363 Comments

A New Beginning in a New Land - REDACTED99999



'Through worlds and sadness and loneliness, we found each other, and if we can be happy together, then maybe it will all have been worth it somehow.' - A man in love.

  • ...
78
 1,363
 15,744

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 71

Jax slowly came to. It was a lot like waking up, except he was standing up and was… in the palace? He looked around. Then he blinked and looked around some more. This was ‘the room.’ He knew this room, he despised this room… well that was a bit strong, but he still had a dislike for it. This was the room where he caught on fire. Twilight’s magic basement room, for safe experimentation. There were three crystals hovering in close proximity, that he was fairly certain weren’t there the other times he had been there.

The weird thing was that, as quickly as he was able to recognize the room, everything else was just… a blur. Hazy, in a way. There was a mare close by, and he… well he sort of recognized her. She seemed familiar, but for the life of him he couldn’t remember where he knew her from. She was looking at him with amethyst eyes, observing him with uncertainty. She looked… gray. Leaning to the side, he noticed that her cutie mark was a field with a rock on it.

As he did so, her gaze became a bit more certain, and a smile spread on her face. As they looked at each other, one of the black crystals hovered between them. They seemed to be going in circles around him.

So… why was he here, how did he end here, why didn’t he remember a lot of stuff, why did some of the stuff he did remember appear hazy, and why was it that asking questions he didn’t have answers to was so damn familiar by now?

‘They are trying to cure your positive magic high, your friends led you here, being on a high practically means you are someone different so it is hard to remember, it will be hazy for a long while yet, and because… well, you might be cursed with the kind of luck you have.

Sombra. That’s right, Sombra was inside of him. But he didn’t remember him actually being helpful….

Believe it or not, I actually tried to warm you about the incoming danger, but you did not listen to me.

… weird. There was something different about Sombra, but Jax couldn’t quite put a finger on it. Wait… ‘positive magic high?

Yes. After Discord brought you to the tree of harmony, your body just swallowed the vast amount of positive magic it was radiating.

“Hello.” The mare in front of him finally decided to talk. He snapped back from his conversation with Sombra, if you could even call it that. “Are you… alright?”

“Good question.” Jax answered, feeling unstable on his legs. He sat down heavily on the crystal floor. “Who are you?” He let his hand glide over his hair. It was becoming too long again. He would have to see Rarity at some point for that, she had cut it for him before. Didn’t they have a deal to go to the spa as well? It seemed like they had agreed on that a lifetime ago. He wasn’t sure why they hadn’t went.

Hmm, something about fire and pain and being stuck in the hospital and then with Luna. Both of them must have forgotten about it.

“Are-are you listening?” The mare said.

He had totally blacked out there. “I’m sorry, you were saying?”

“Oh, it… is not a problem. I am Hidden Gem, Sombra’s… friend. From before. Nice to finally meet you, Jax. Your friends will be so happy to hear you are finally yourself… oh! That reminds me, wait here just a second!” She went over towards the door, opened it, and spoke with somepony on the other side.

Hidden Gem… Right. He remembered… sort of. She was Sombra’s… he wasn’t sure how to specify their relationship.

Ask her why she is here.

He couldn’t quite explain it. It was like Sombra was making a request instead of just demanding.

He sighed heavily at the same time Sombra did.

“I just informed the guard to get Princess Twilight.” The mare told them as she came back. “She was very insistent on me getting her when you came to. She and the others were here for a long time themselves, but when they started bickering amongst themselves they realized that the negative magic is not… isn’t confined perfectly to the area.”

“Negative magic?” He asked with a frown.

“Oh… Twilight will explain it better than I could.”

He snorted. That was all too familiar.

“In any case… Princess Luna was the last to agree, but in the end even she did. They made a schedule and we take turns every few hours to not be affected too badly by the magic.”

At her name, Jax felt a deep longing for his girl. “Luna. When can I see her?”

Ask her why she is here… please.’

He blinked a couple of times. Sombra just said please. What the hell happened while he was out?

“Oh… Princess Twilight can probably tell you.” Of course.

He sighed again. “Sombra wants to know why you’re here.”

Her ears stood on attention, and she looked almost surprised. “I can talk to him? Through you?”

They didn’t give her the run-down it would seem. “Yes. He can hear and see everything. It’s… awkward.”

She nodded in understanding a few times, her ears folding again, even as a small smile showed itself on her muzzle, and she looked down at the ground. Jax couldn’t quite place her mood. “I came to show him that he has a friend. That despite everything he has done, everything that has happened, all the time that has passed… I am still here. I still want to be his friend... even if it is his fault that… everything happened.” Melancholy, that was probably the best way to describe it. She looked up at him. “He… when he was still… my shadow, he told me a lot of what was going on back home. I wanted… so desperately to help him, to do… anything, just so he would never have to suffer so horribly. But I was just… a whore, and his parents were nobles. What could I do? So… I did nothing. I want him to know…” Her eyes filled with tears, but she kept eye contact. “I want you to know, Sombra, that I understand why you did what you did… and I forgive you… and I am sorry I was not better, that I could not stop you… that I added to your suffering. That… was the last… thing I wanted….” She could barely speak over her sobs. She tried to dry her eyes with her hooves, but new tears kept coming. “And if you want… I want us to start over… as friends….”

Jax… felt like he had just witnessed a private conversation with no way of escaping. Nonetheless… ‘You’ve got a good one here, Sombra…

After everything I’ve done… she… she…’ Words seemed to fail him. ‘I… do not know how to answer her…’ He ‘sounded’ very emotional, like… like he was crying, if that was even possible.

Jax suppressed a sigh as he made his decision and smiled kindly at the mare in front of him. “You don’t know how happy that makes me. I would love for us to start over… thank you for doing this for me.” He answered for Sombra. ‘You owe me one.’

… Thank you…

The mares eyes lit up like stars, and Jax felt another pang of longing for his Luna.

A cough by the door interrupted them before Hidden Gem could say anything else. “I’m sorry to interrupt.” Twilight said. “But I’m happy to see you're well, Jax. I’ll get you up to date.”
***

Jax slowly came to. It was a lot like waking up, except he was standing up and was- wait a minute. "What happened?"

'Your body is still adjusting to the-' Sombra started, but stopped when another voice took over.

"You left the circle, remember?" Twilight looked at him with sadness. "This might take longer than I thought."

"Well... fuck."

Author's Note:

He's mentioned in a lot of these, but thanks again to DJ, for pre-reading and helping getting started... again ^^
Anyway, a bit short, but I think I made it clear that time is an issue. I'd rather make shorter and get them to you in relative good time than wait forever.
The Story of Twilight Glow is pretty good if you need something else ^^

PreviousChapters Next