• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 15,709 Views, 1,363 Comments

A New Beginning in a New Land - REDACTED99999



'Through worlds and sadness and loneliness, we found each other, and if we can be happy together, then maybe it will all have been worth it somehow.' - A man in love.

  • ...
78
 1,363
 15,709

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25

Rainbow Dash was up early on a Sunday. An unusual thing for her to be, but these were unusual circumstances. She felt really bad about the whole situation with Jax, letting him get hurt repeatedly even after she told him she was going to protect him. Not that she thought she could have helped him much - both instances would probably have happened even if she had been there - but the way she dealt with it afterwards was not cool. She had just left him in the hospital. Was this the kind of friend she was? Heck no. He had said it was okay the first time, and he had smiled at her the second, but she didn’t feel right about it. It was time to show him just what kind of friend she could be. He needed some awesomeness in his life, and now that he was out of the hospital, she was going to be that awesomeness.

She looked at Pinkie’s invitation. Luna’s surprise party didn’t start until midday, so she had to get up early if she wanted to spend some time with Jax. Was it a coincidence that Pinkie had arranged Luna’s party the day after Jax got out of the hospital? Probably not. Pinkie was weird like that.

Rainbow stretched her wings, getting ready to take off. Was Jax good at hoofball? She would have to gather the girls to find out. Today was going to be fun, she would make sure of it!

***

Unless she pulled an all-nighter, Twilight was usually up early, and today was no exception. As the Princess of Friendship, it was her duty to make sure that Jax was well-adjusted. She still regretted putting him in the hospital, and even though he had forgiven her, she would make up for it in her own way as well. She had arranged everything he needed to recover psychologically, she had his throat-medicine, and she had just finished organizing all the forms he needed to sign to become a citizen of Equestria.

If nothing else, she would at least make sure that he recovered from the ordeal in the hospital, and that his transaction of becoming a citizen would be painless. That much she could do.

She thought back at the day before, when she had gone to Luna’s room to hoof over the medicine and she had found them sleeping instead. They had looked so peaceful together, all snuggled up close. She smiled at the memory. Maybe they would end up together some day. Even she had heard those rumors, and she didn’t normally listen to rumors, even when Rarity insisted on telling them. There was just something about those two together that made her want to believe that it would actually happen. Maybe it was the way Luna smiled at Jax, and the way he smiled back. Now that she thought about it, he had looked at Luna with a kind of awe when they first met. Twilight had thought that it was because Luna actually had an air of royalty about her, unlike herself, but maybe…

Twilight smiled at the thought. One could always hope.

***

Applejack looked at the retreating rainbow streak. It was good to see her friend up so early for once.

She didn’t actually have time for hoofball, but she had agreed anyway. She could always find time for her friends somehow. She would just have to work a bit after dark, is all. If she got really behind, she knew that they would jump to her aid at a moment’s notice. Applejack smiled at the thought.

Jax… she hadn’t really had the chance to really befriend him. He seemed nice enough, but she didn’t know much about him. She had visited him a couple of times in the hospital, but that was more to hang out with her other friends. ‘Cept that one time where she had argued with Rarity whether he should have his clothes all fancy shmancy or not.

Still, her other friends seemed to like him, she should somehow find the time to get to know him, at least a little. If Rainbow Dash was willing to get up early on a Sunday for him, he must be worth at least that. She nodded to herself. Now… these trees weren’t gonna buck themselves.

***

Rarity was not amused. “Darling, I don’t even like playing hoofball. Why would I want to spend my free time playing it?”

Rainbow Dash smiled at something. She couldn’t figure out what. “I knew you were gonna say something like that Rarity. I’m organizing this hoofball game for Jax though. I thought it would be good for him to come and hang out with all of us.”

Rarity was pleasantly surprised by that. “Well that’s surprisingly thoughtful of you Rainbow Dash, but why hoofball? I won’t be enjoying myself, and I’m fairly certain Fluttershy won’t either.”

“Hey I can be thoughtful! Rarity, I swear I tried to think of something we could all enjoy, but you know how it is. Me, Pinkie and Applejack like the physical stuff, you, Twilight and Fluttershy don’t. We had a picnic last week, and I think Jax will enjoy playing. Come on, it’ll be awesome!” She ended by flying up and giving her best ‘come on’ smile. Rarity had to admit that Rainbow was making some good points.

“Fine.” She relented, making the pegasus pump her hoof. “Just don’t expect me to enjoy myself. Jax’ clothing will become all dirty, he only has two pairs. I guess I’ll give him the set I finished, he can get a pattern sewed on later.” She gave a dramatic sigh. “The sacrifices I go through for you girls.”

“Yeah yeah, you have it hard. I’m sure Jax will be stunned by the new clothes though. Anyway, see you at ten in the meadow okay?” Rainbow was out of the door before she could answer. She sighed again and looked back at all her unfinished work. She would just have to make time, she agreed with herself. If she could finish the dress she was working on and start on the next, she could finish the rest of it and the other three after she came back. Good thing Sweetie Bell was occupied with crusading today.

She wondered when she could take Jax to the spa like they had agreed before Twilight… messed up. She would probably have to wait until he could separate himself from Luna. Well, she could have them both over for tea at least, but not today. She had a lot to do.

With renewed determination she started on the dress again.

***

Fluttershy opened the door to her cottage to reveal Rainbow Dash flying outside. Rainbow Dash had always been happier to fly than she herself ever was.

“Hey Fluttershy.” She sounded happy.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash. What can I help you with?”

“I’m arranging a hoofball game with the girls, Jax, and Luna. I think they could use some fun. You in?”

“Oh. Uhm, I’m not very good at hoofball…” She replied shyly. “But if you want me to come…”

“Of course I do! This is gonna be so great, just wait and see. See you at the meadow at ten!” She said before she flew off.

Fluttershy looked at her oldest friend as she sped off. Rainbow Dash would always be there for her when she needed her, and Fluttershy would try to do the same for her. It wasn’t always easy because Rainbow normally needed somepony to do something physical, but sometimes it was just to watch a new trick and tell her that she looked ‘cool’. That much Fluttershy could do. She had even practiced her cheering. She kind of wished that was all she had to do this time, but that was alright. She had done harder things, like that time she had to joust in the Crystal Empire. This time she had her friends there, and it would make Jax and Luna happy.

She smiled as she went back inside. Angel would have to watch her friends until she could return.

***

Pinkie was leaning up against a wall. “Give me a time and a place.” She told Rainbow Dash before she could start her sentence, bouncing a hoofball between the ground and her hoof.

“Oh. Good. Ten at the meadow.” Rainbow told her before flying off towards the castle.

She had already taken the day off, and if it was to make Jax and Luna smile, it would be more than worth it.

***

Rainbow Dash flew into the hundredth room. This castle really was a maze. Luckily this was the right one.

“There you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you!” She exclaimed, looking at parchment that was flying around. “Why is there parchment flying in here?”

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight sounded annoyed for some reason. “You bursting in here did that. Now I have to spent time organizing them into signed and not-signed again.”

Twilight was sitting by a desk with Jax, and by extension Luna, next to her. She looked annoyed, while Luna just looked startled. Jax on the other hoof looked at Rainbow Dash with excitement, as he should. He had a quill in one of his… hands? Hands, probably signing some lame and boring stuff. Good thing Rainbow came when she did.

“Yeah, my bad. Anyway, I’ve arranged a game of hoofball with the girls. Grab Spike and lets go have some fun!”

“But we still have over thirty forms to sign before Jax is officially seen as a citizen of Equestria, and he has an appointment at the psychologist at twelve! I was hoping we could finish this before then.” Twilight argued. Rainbow rolled her eyes.

“Alright, how about we let them decide what they would rather do? Jax, Luna, do you want to stay here and sign some more forms… or do you want to go out and play some hoofball!”

She could her Twilight mutter under her breath something that sounded like. “When you put it like that…”

Jax and Luna looked at each other for a moment before Luna answered for both of them. “As fun as it has been to use the entire morning signing paperwork, I feel like we could use a break. I do not know how to play hoofball however.”

Rainbow smiled victoriously, dismissing Luna’s concern immediately. “Jax probably doesn’t either. I’ll teach you, don’t worry. You two are gonna be on my team.” She leaned in close so Twilight couldn’t hear, she whispered. “The victory team.” Before flying away and winking at them. They both looked excited now, which was the entire point. Jax looked especially grateful.

“Fine.” Twilight realized she didn’t stand a chance at getting the rest done. “But we better be done before the appointment. Let’s go.”

***

“Luna and Jax count as one player, they’re gonna be with me along with Pinkie and Spike.” Rainbow Dash told everypony present at the meadow.

“Hold on sugar cube. Fluttershy can go on your team, we get Pinkie.” Applejack said.

“Aw come on! Luna and Jax are new at the - you know what? Fine, I’ll make sure we win anyway. We’re playing to 24.”

“Win? We’ll see about that Rainbow.” Applejack gave her a determined stare, which she returned.

The two teams each went to their own half of the field. Rainbow Dash had flown in the goals beforehoof. She looked at her team. It did not look good.

Spike was okay at hoofball, but he was useless against Rarity. Fluttershy was generally scared of the ball. She didn’t know about Jax and Luna yet though. Maybe they were good?

She had already explained the rules. They were playing earthpony style for the simplicity of it. No flying, no magic, just running and throwing - bucking was banned because of the huge advantage Applejack had there. It was simple enough, throw the ball between teammates until you get to the opposite goal, throw the ball so the goalkeeper can’t save it.

It was unfair that they had two earthponies, but she could understand they would need the advantage. They were playing against Rainbow Dash after all.

She grinned at her team. “Alright ponies, let’s show them how good we are. Spike, you’re on the goal, Fluttershy, defense. Me, Luna and Jax are on offense. Let’s do this!” She put her hoof out, and was soon joined by claws, a hand, and finally two more hooves. She threw her hoof up. “Yeah!”

She looked over at the opposite team to see that they had Rarity on the goal. Perfect.

They had decided to let Twilight use her magic to throw up the ball. Since Luna was the tallest, she would contest for it, with Applejack on the other side.

As Twilight threw the ball up, both teams tensed up. As the ball started falling, Rainbow Dash thought she saw Jax do something with his hand, and a moment after Luna jumped up higher than Rainbow thought was possible. The ball was still a fair ways up so Applejack hadn’t even jumped yet, but the added height Luna got from Jax was just enough for him to grab the ball. Her eyes widened in surprise along with Applejack's. Unlike Applejack though, she got over the surprise fairly quickly and started running towards the goal just as Luna touched down on the ground. The moment her hooves hit the ground, she dashed forward with an amazing speed. Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but grin, happy that she had those two on her team. They would win this yet.

Pinkie bounced towards them. Rainbow called out and Jax threw the ball over to her without problems. She saw Luna dodge under Pinkie just as she bounced, before she focused on Twilight coming toward her. Rainbow made a feint that easily fooled Twilight and dashed pass her towards the goal. Rarity looked determined. When she wanted to, Rarity could actually be quite dedicated to the game, which seemed to be the case now. Before Rainbow could decide where to throw the ball she saw Luna in the perfect position for a pass. Rainbow smirked as she pretended to throw the ball, before actually throwing it right in front of Jax, who slammed it in, which fooled Rarity completely, as she dove to where she thought Rainbow was going to throw it.

The trio looked at each other with smiles on their muzzles. The first goal had been easy. They were going to win this without problems.

***

They were having problems. The enemy had switched out Rarity with Twilight, now every time Rarity got to their goal, Spike would just stare at her instead of doing what he was supposed to. The only reason they haven’t lost yet was because Luna and Jax were almost as awesome as Rainbow Dash, and Twilight wasn’t the best goal keeper.

So, it was 23/23. Next goal would decide the winner, and both teams were tired, except Pinkie who seemed to have infinite energy. Luckily Rarity seemed to be at the end of the line, and she probably wouldn’t be able to run all the way over to their goal.

Both teams had agreed to have a short break to discuss tactics.

“I’m sorry I haven’t done much.” Fluttershy said.

“I’m sorry, I just kind of black out everytime I see Rarity coming towards me.” Spike said.

“It’s… It’s okay team, we can still win this. Good job Jax and Luna, you have some awesome moves. Now… Rarity looks like she’s ready to drop, so she shouldn’t be a problem anymore, and Spike, you’re doing pretty well against Applejack’s shots. Fluttershy, good job on… uhm… trying to stop them. Good effort.” This only made Fluttershy fold her ears against her head, which made Rainbow feel bad. “Fluttershy, if you want… you can try to take the offense, and I’ll try to defend.”

“R-really? But… I’m not very good at throwing the ball either. What if we lose because of me?”

Rainbow Dash went over and put a wing over her. “Don’t worry about that. It’s been a good game, I had fun. That’s the entire point right? Besides, I think you can do it. Jax and Luna are pretty awesome as well. Go for it.” She gave Fluttershy a reassuring smile that seemed to make her feel better.

“I agree with Rainbow Dash. I haven’t had so much fun playing a sport since…” Luna looked thoughtful for several seconds. “Well, since before we took down Discord I guess. It’s been a while.”

“Yeah, and if we lose, Rarity wins. I haven’t seen her this determined on winning a sport since… actually, I’ve never seen her so determined while playing. Huh.” Spike added.

“Oh. Alright, I’ll try.” A small smile adorned Fluttershy muzzle and Rainbow found herself staring. She did look best when she was happy. It wasn’t until she saw Jax look at her with a huge grin on his face that she realized she still had a wing over Fluttershy. She quickly took a step back.

“Alright team, time to determine who wins and who loses.” She put out her hoof, quickly joined by the others. “No matter what happens, we had fun. Yeah!”

“Yeah!” they all repeated with smiles on their muzzles.

Rainbow haven’t had such a good hoofball game in a while, so she meant what she said. She may love to win, but she appreciated a good game even more.

She went to her post as a defender. The rest were taking their positions as well, and she noticed that Rarity was back to being the goal keeper.

Jax started with the ball. Something Rainbow had noticed was that because he was holding the ball for her, Luna could run on four legs instead of three like other ponies were forced to, which made it easier for her to dodge and turn. Well, she was slowed down a bit by having to carry him, but he did a good job of setting the weight to make it easier for her. When she turned left, he leaned left with her. If he leaned too much, Luna would lose her balance and fall, something that had happened twice already, but they had done an amazing job overall. They made a good team.

The match started again with Luna dashing past Applejack, and dodging Twilight. She was incredibly nimble, Rainbow noticed. Fluttershy started running forward as well, though way behind Luna.

Just when Rainbow thought Luna was going to make it, Pinkie appeared and took the ball from Jax, which surprised all of them. She then threw it to Twilight who made a pass to Applejack, who was still around the midpoint.

Applejack and Rainbow made eye contact, both glaring at the other. Applejack sped forward, right at Rainbow who went into a defensive stance. Instead of trying to make her way around Rainbow like she had expected, Applejack jumped over her, like Luna had done to her a couple of times. The difference was that Luna could use all four hooves, Applejack could not. She almost lost her balance when she landed, but apparently decided she was close enough to make the shot. She threw it just as she was falling. The ball flew through the air, and would have went in if Spike hadn’t made an amazing air-dive for it. He caught it between his claws, made a roll when he landed, and threw it to Rainbow with a look of awe at his own stunt. Rainbow caught it and used her last strength to run. When Twilight blocked her path, she passed the ball to Jax and Luna, as they had made their way back. Fluttershy was at the goal, she probably hadn’t seen what was going on until she made it all the way over there. It made Rainbow smile.

Jax caught the ball, and Luna started running. Rainbow could see that she was also exhausted. When they encountered Pinkie, Jax decided that he wouldn’t risk her taking the ball from him again, and made the pass to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy looked like she wanted to dodge the ball more than anything, but stood her ground, and to everypony’s surprise, caught it. She looked at it for a second before she remembered what she was supposed to do and ran at the goal.

Rarity took her stance, ready to jump in either direction. Her mane was messed up, she had green and brown streaks on her fur, and she looked like she just wanted to go home and take a shower. Rainbow was actually a little proud of Rarity for being so dedicated to the game. It probably made this the best game ever.

Fluttershy threw the ball and Rarity made a dive for it. She must have forgotten that Fluttershy wasn’t very good at throwing, because she overdid it and went over the ball. It rolled in as Rarity passed it.

For a second everypony just looked with mouths agape, even Fluttershy herself. Then Rainbow started laughing as she flew over and hugged Fluttershy, who still looked like she couldn’t believe what she had just done. Luna, Jax and Spike soon came over and they shared a group hug, all smiling at their victory.

“It was a good game. Well played.” Applejack said, with a tired smile.

“Yeah, it was the best game ever! I’ve never seen Rarity so into it, or Fluttershy score a goal. I’m so happy right now.” Rainbow pretended to dry a tear away, which made everypony laugh. They went around and shook hooves and hands and claws with each other, glad to be done with the game.

“Jax, Luna, it’s almost time.” Twilight told them.

“Oh! Darling, before you go, I brought you these.” Rarity went over to her saddlebag and took out a new set of clothes, these ones matching Luna’s fur perfectly, which made more than a couple of ponies chuckle, Jax included.

“And look, I even made underwear for you! When you want a pattern on them, just come see me again, and I’ll do it for all of your clothes.”

Jax drew her into a hug as a thank you. Rainbow couldn’t help but smile.

It was a good day.

Author's Note:

Someone commented on point of view, so I thought I'd try A Different Perspective ;)
Well here you are. I had a busy week and I actually just finished this. Also, I've been drawn into Dark Souls. Such a good game... XD

Edit 18/03/2021 - The song before the Hoofball match was chosen by Artemis Prime :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next