• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 15,736 Views, 1,363 Comments

A New Beginning in a New Land - REDACTED99999



'Through worlds and sadness and loneliness, we found each other, and if we can be happy together, then maybe it will all have been worth it somehow.' - A man in love.

  • ...
78
 1,363
 15,736

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45

Jax looked at Celestia with a deadpan expression. “This is your plan? Come on Celestia, I thought you were going to do something about it, not have me guarded.”

They were sitting in the hospital, in Rainbow’s room, with all the elements there. Celestia had just explained her brilliant plan. Sombra had laughed, but everyone else looked like they thought it was a good idea.

“I like it!” Pinkie announced. Of course she would. “I get to spend more time with you!” She smiled her big smile at him. He couldn’t do anything but smile back at her optimism, worried as he was.

“Yes, and that’s very nice, but it doesn’t exactly tackle the problem. Can’t you just blast me with… wait the elements are gone. No, you still have them inside of you or something. Can’t you just blast me with the rainbow of friendship?”

Twilight sighed. “If other magic doesn’t work on you, then I don’t exactly think using extreme amounts of it will have a positive effect. If it triggers your defence chaos magic, we might as well just use a normal spell on you, but as you said yourself, you don’t have much control over it. It could backfire spectacularly. I think Celestia’s plan is the best option until we think of something else…”

“No, potions clearly work on me, so it’s not-“

“Jax. I know it feels like I’m taking your freedom, but that is the last thing I want to do.” Celestia spoke up again. “You will still be allowed to go where you like… you will just always have a friend nearby.”

Jax sighed. Celestia’s plan literally consisted of them taking shifts watching over him, making sure Sombra didn’t take over. Which was fine, he did like spending time with them, but it didn’t do anything to get Sombra out of him. He didn’t want to continue like that forever. “Alright, I get it… I don’t want Sombrero to take over either, it’s just…” He didn’t know how to word the feeling. It was… He knew he wasn’t a prisoner, but he still felt like he was being restricted. He hated being restricted. In the Everfree forest, he had been in danger, but he had been free.

Luna leaned over and spread her wing over his shoulder, pulling him closer to nuzzle the top of his head, instantly shaking him out of it. “I shall not let him take thee. Thou art mine.” She said with a firm voice, and that adorable way of speaking she adopted sometimes.

He closed his eyes and pushed his chair closer to her so he didn’t have to lean so much, and just let her pamper him a bit.

When he opened his eyes again, he saw that every pony except Rainbow and Celestia, looked at them with varied expressions of shock and surprise.

“Yeah, we’re together now.” He said with satisfaction, making the room practically explode. Mostly because of Pinkie and her canon. Where she conjured up a confetti shooting canon from… he wasn’t going to think about. Twilight and Rarity contributed to the explosion by making various sounds of, well, glee, while Applejack and Fluttershy just smiled happily.

“Darling, I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear that! I’ve been waiting ages for this, I just…. Just give me a moment.” Rarity started breathing heavily.

“I knew it! I knew you two would end up together! And Spike said I was seeing things. Saying I have no sense for these kinds of things, I showed him! Uhm, I mean… congratulations!” Twilight added to the conversation.

“Yes, a congratulations is certainly in order. I’m sure you will find much happiness together.” Rarity added, able to speak again.

Jax and Luna looked at each other, both with giant smiles on their faces. Their reaction felt surprisingly good. Jax felt all warm and tingly inside, though kind of embarrassed by the big deal they were making out of it. He must have been as red as a tomato. Luna was also blushing, so it was alright.

“Ah recon that ‘gratulations are indeed in order. Finding your special somepony is a joyous occasion.” Applejack smiled at them.

“Joyous? Are you kidding me? This super-duper… no, wait this is even better than that! This is ULTRA-MEGA… NO EVEN BETTER THAN THAT!” She gasped and started pacing, while muttering under her breath.

“Uhm… I think it’s pretty amazing as well. I wish you all the best.” Fluttershy gave them a gentle smile.

Rainbow Dash’s smile was confident. “I’m sure you’ll be fine, you don’t need any good luck from us. I can’t say I saw it coming, but who knows, maybe the next changeling attack will be stopped by you two.” She grinned at the thought, and they both chuckled as well. That would be something to behold.

“Since we are all congratulating, perhaps it is my turn to do so officially.” Celestia spoke up. Her smile was as warm as the sun she is in charge of, which honestly seemed to be the standard for her. Ponies were lucky to have these kinds of rulers. “Although I agree with Rainbow Dash, I have also learned that one cannot have too much good luck, so I wish you good luck as well. If you ever need anything, know that I am right here, rooting for you.”

It was heart-warming really, all of this. He hadn’t expected his friends to react like that, and their support, while not exactly necessary, was very appreciated.

“Thank you all. I mean-“

“The most super-duper-mega-ultra-wonderfantasticly- amastonishingly astounding event that could happen today!” Pinkie blurted out. Did she hide a thesaurus in her hair or something?

After a brief pause to understand what the hell she was saying, they all burst out laughing, which made Pinkie confused. Jax secretly thought that that was what she meant to do, but maybe she was just being herself.

“Thank you. Thank you all for cheering us on.” Luna said from his side. Looking over at her he noticed that she was a little teary eyed. Not a lot, in pony standards, but enough for him to notice. She had a big smile though, which enforced the warmth he was feeling. The warmth he had been feeling a lot of lately. It felt fuzzy, like he was just so… content with everything, that he couldn’t be happier. Even with Sombra inside of him, at that moment, he couldn’t have smiled brighter.

***

“Alright.” Celestia finally stated. “It’s settled.

Pinkie Pie, you have Tuesdays.” “Yipie!”

“Applejack has Wednesdays.” “Yeup.”

“Rainbow Dash, you have Thursdays.” “No problem!”

“Rarity, you have Fridays.” “Certainly, your highness.”

“Fluttershy, you have Saturdays.” “Mmm.”

“Twilight, you have Sundays.” “Of course.”

“Wait a minute.” Jax looked at Rainbow. “Isn’t today Thursday? Am I gonna have to sit in here all day?”

“Actually, since I’ve already cancelled everything, I will be the one taking care of you today, Jax.” Celestia answered. “Rainbow Dash can take over from next week.”

He looked at her with confusion. “From next week?”

“Yeah, I’m outa here by Monday. It’s a pain, I can’t wait to stretch my wings again. Actually, who’s going to take Monday? I can take two shifts if it’s a problem.”

“It is not. I shall stay with Jax on Moonday.”

“Are you certain, Luna? You will have to be up all day with Jax, and then all night to attend your duties.” Celestia looked at Luna with worry.

“Wait, you’re already out that early?” Jax looked at Rainbow in disbelief.

“Moonday?” Rainbow asked with confusion.

“I am certain. It will not be a problem, since I get to spend a whole day with…” Luna stopped and blushed, realizing what she was saying.

“It’s the old way of saying Monday, Rainbow. It was shortened over the centuries, I think.” Twilight answered Rainbow Dash.

“Wait I think I understand… It’s magic isn’t it?” Jax deadpanned. “I was gonna be here so long because it couldn’t be used on me.”

“Healing magic really has come a long way, darling. It is a shame we weren’t able to use it on you… maybe Zecora can make potions that don't rely on randomness to work. It seems like you don’t have much luck on your side, if you don’t mind me saying.” Rarity answered him.

“Oh, so it was like a day dedicated to the moon? How come we only have Saturday and Sunday off then? That seems kind of unfair.” Rainbow went on.

“Alright Luna, if you’re sure, I won’t stop you.” Celestia sighed. Luna smiled at her.

“Yeah, it is kind of unfair.” Jax agreed.

“What’s unfair?” Applejack asked.

“Uh! A guessing game! Is it life? Ponies always say that life is unfair, but I don’t really think it is. I mean, if it’s unfair to everypony, then it’s actually fair right?” Pinkie joined one of the conversations.

“I do not see how you would go about stopping me in any case, sister.” Luna smiled mischievously.

“Can we… can we please have one conversation at a time?” Fluttershy asked nicely. Everybody present looked at her. “It’s… hard to follow more than one.” She explained meekly.

“Sure. Uhm… which conversation are we following then?” Jax agreed that it had been a bit hard to follow everything that had been said.

“We were just finishing up ours.” Celestia stated. “I believe you were talking about how unfair it is that Monday, or Moonday, isn’t celebrated the same way Sunday is?”

“Yeah! How come we get Saturday and Sunday off instead of Sunday and Monday?” Rainbow asked. “Saturday isn’t even any special day.”

Looking to the side, Jax saw Luna give Rainbow Dash a fond look. He didn’t think she had anything against Rainbow before, but if there ever was an easy way to get Luna’s approval, it must be by saying something like that.

“Yeah! Let’s vote for it. All that think Moonday should be workless day instead of Saturday, raise your hand… uhm, hoof.” Jax said, raising his hand. Every pony rose their hoof as well, even Celestia after a short pause.

Celestia’s amused smile turned into melodic laughter. “I hope you all realize that it won’t be that easy. Ponies hold on to traditions as firmly as a manticore holds onto its prey, and I can’t influence which days private establishments decide to let their employees have days off. I will try and see what I can do though.” She smiled warmly at them all.

“Yeah, and all traditions start somewhere, right? In a thousand years, it will be a tradition to have Monday off work instead of Saturday.” Pinkie sensibly added. “Oh! Or we can have a 3 days weekend! Then nopony will have to hate Monday ever again! They might not be too fond of Tuesday though…”

Jax couldn’t deny the truth in that.

“Celestia? Can I have some time to speak with Beating Heart while I’m here? I don’t feel like I talk with her enough, and she has been a good friend.”

Celestia smiled her warm smile at his question. “Of course. I’ll just go ahead and start working at the apple farm while I wait for you. I have some things I want to talk with you about.”

“Princes, ya don’t have ta…” Applejack looked to be at a loss for what to say. Well, letting a princess work on her farm might be a bit much for her, but Jax’ respect for Celestia just kept growing.

Celestia just smiled. “You don’t have to worry about anything, Applejack. It’s a refreshing change of pace from my normal workday.”

“The exercise-“ Luna started before she was interrupted.

“Luna…” Celestia warned her sternly, though it was undermined by her still present smile. “If you were about to comment on somepony’s weight, somepony might just mistake you for a tree that needs bucking.” Actually, that smile did look kind of scary when she said stuff like that.

Luna just laughed though. “Right, right, I will not mention it then.” She then turned to the rest of them. “I asked Jax to give you all these letters, but seeing as you are all here…” She took forth the letters and gave them to the right ponies. “I apologize for it taking a while for me to write to everypony. Jax, can you give Beating Heart her letter when you see her? I should make my way back to the castle and-“ She yawned. “-get some rest.”

Jax hugged her, and after gathering his courage, kissed her. It was a short kiss, but they were both left with a smile on their burning faces. It was one thing to kiss her when they were alone, but he felt kind of self-conscious when others were there. Still, he wanted to do it, and some on-viewers wasn’t going to stop him. It made them both happy, after all, and he loved Luna’s smile. She looked cute when she was embarrassed as well… even if he wished his own face would cool down.

“How forward of you, kissing in public already.” Celestia teased. “You must really have made her fall deeply for you, Jax. There was a time where even the thought of kissing another pony-“

“Tia!” Came Luna’s embarrassed interruption. “That was more than a millennium ago! Let us not dwell on that time in my life, please.” Despite her embarrassment, she still nuzzled Jax. “See you on Moonday.” She whispered in his ear, before making her way out.

“Yeah, we will. Sleep well.” She turned around to look at him one last time, and he couldn’t help but melt a little at her smile. It really was beautiful.

Rarity sighed. “I want to meet my prince charming as well. You’re so lucky, Jax.” She pouted.

Twilight just smiled. “It really is nice that you two ended up together. I can’t wait to tell Spike! Have no sense for this… I showed him!”

“Alright, alright. Anyway, I’m off to find Beating Heart. See you all later...” He waved at them as he left, on his quest to find the nurse.

***

“Hey Beating.” He greeted her outside one of the hospital rooms she was exiting. She was working, but she would have a break soon, or so he had heard from the pony at the desk.

“Oh Jax! What do I owe this pleasure to? I thought I would have to wait until next time you got hurt to see you again.” She teased him with a big smile.

“Come now, Beating, it’s only been a few days.” He smiled back. “I was here and I thought I could catch up with you. A lot of stuff has happened… you have a break soon right? I’ll wait by the entrance, we can go somewhere to talk and eat lunch, if you want?”

“Sure, give me… half an hour, I think.” She nodded.

***

They were walking over to Jax’ favourite pizzeria, The Great Circle, when Jax realized how hungry he really was. He didn’t have breakfast because Celestia and Luna had insisted on a meeting the elements as quickly as possible, but he also didn’t have any money. He felt like a total loser.

The day was quite pleasant, though it was a bit windy, and there were still puddles of water from the storm last night. Ponies were walking around doing what ponies do, smiling at them as they passed. One of the flower ponies which he specifically remembered running away from him not too long ago, screaming ‘the horror’ or something, was now waving at them. He waved back and she smiled sweetly. He had a feeling that things would change back once they found out he could be possessed by a crazy psycho. He didn’t want that.

He sighed. “Beating… I don’t have any bits on me.” Or anywhere near him, really. He had bet everything on the pen, but it seemed like it would take way longer than he thought.

“Really? Don’t worry about it, it’s my treat this time then. As far as I remember, you weren’t getting very well fed while you were at the hospital, so this will be my late apology for that.” She gave him a crooked smile.

“As far as I remember, you already apologized, and I had that lasagne on my last day there. Don’t think I don’t know it was your doing.” Beating had been good to him back then. He should be the one paying for their meal, as a thank you. Damn, being penniless really sucked. Or was it called bitless here? It sounded kind of weird…

“Right, well, I enjoyed taking care of you. Most ponies complain a lot about a small scratch, but not you. You were so nice as well, despite… well, being different. Just let me do this.”

“… Alright. But when I get money, I’m taking you somewhere. No excuses.”

Beating chuckled. “A date? I thought you were into the Princess, not a lowly nurse like myself.” She smiled innocently at him.

“I… It’s not a date. I just want to pay you back for everything you did for me in the hospital.” He sighed, but she just laughed.

“I know, I know, I’m just teasing. Just make sure Princess Luna knows that as well.”

“Yeah, yeah.” He rolled his eyes, but smiled nonetheless.

They entered the relatively small establishment together. It had a cosy feeling about it, and they made great pizzas, even if they were all vegetarian. Hell, some of them even tasted like they had meat in them somewhere. Of course they didn’t though. He had checked.

“Ah! Jax, welcome back. It’s so weird to see you without Princess Luna somewhere near.” The owner of the shop, a pleasant stallion that had quickly overcome the shock of having both the Princess of the Night and the resident human frequently visit his shop.

“Well I wouldn’t mind if she came with me, but she’s pretty busy now that she doesn’t have to stay close to me. She’s back to sleeping during the day… most of the time anyway.”

Beating smirked at him. “Except when she visits you?”

Jax chuckled. “Well… She’s busy during the night, and according to herself she’s pretty confident in her ability to stay awake.”

Beating laughed at that. “You don’t have to tell me that, I saw her stay awake three days and nights to stay by your side when you were in the hospital. I don’t think it’s a big problem.”

“Yeah, she’s amazing as… anyway, I’ll have my usual.”

“I’ll have number three.”

“No problem. I’ll have it ready in half an hour.” He smiled at them.

They went over to a nearby table and sat down. The pizzeria didn’t seem to have many costumers in general for some reason, but today it was completely empty.

“So, what did you want to tell me? It seems like stuff always happens around you. I’ve been hearing rumours around the hospital about… about monsters, changelings, and more recently, possession of Big Mac… you wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, would you?” She looked at him suspiciously, as if she suspected the worst. It was sad that she wasn’t far off.

“So I guess you’re getting the bad news first then. Alright I’ll tell you everything. So remember the day I brought in Rainbow Dash?” Beating nodded. “That was the day we met him, Big Mac I mean… but not really. The rumours are true, he was possessed by Sombra and he could somehow use magic even though Big Mac is an earth pony. Me, Rainbow, and Twilight were battling him, well I was mostly just trying to stay alive, when he did this thing that made crystals sprout from the ground in front of me and Rainbow. When I tried to dodge them, they just changed direction, and would have hit me square in the chest if Rainbow Dash hadn’t… If she hadn’t been so dedicated to keeping her friends from harm.”

Beating nodded in understanding. Every pony in Ponyville knew how far Rainbow would go for her friends, it would seem. She also seemed like she had been prepared to hear something like this.

“Anyway, I made the portal to the hospital and brought Rainbow there, while Sombra in Big Mac’s body got away from Twilight. Anyway, here’s where the rumours are behind, and I’m telling you because I don’t want you to find out by some third pony who heard something from his grandmother’s deceased cat’s best friend’s nephew or something.” Beating smiled, but he could see in her eyes that she understood how serious he was. Why did he always fall back on humour anyway? Whatever. He took a deep breath, getting a nice whiff of the pizza aroma in the process. “Yesterday, after I had visited Rainbow, on my way home… Sombra appeared before me.” Beating gasped. “Apparently he was interested in how I had made a portal to the hospital, and-“

“No! He possessed you?!” She looked at him with panic and… fear. It hurt Jax to see his friend looking at him like that. General ponies he didn’t know was fine, but not his friends.

She calmed down after a second. “But… then why would you tell me? I’m sorry, I was too quick to judge. Please continue.” The fear wasn’t entirely gone and she was still looking apprehensive.

“Right. Well you aren’t far off EXCEPT” He emphasised the last word when he saw that she was going to say something. “he couldn’t. The spell didn’t work because of my chaos magic - I don’t know if you know about it, but the reason I wasn’t allowed to be healed magically at the hospital is because I have this defense mechanism. Every spell that is used on me is transformed into a different random spell, or that’s the short version anyway.”

Beating nodded a couple of times, deep in thought. “I heard something about that. So… he’s out there somewhere?” She looked around nervously.

“He’s trapped inside of me.” Jax stated bluntly.

Beating looked ready to run away right then and there, but after something that looked like an inner battle, she forced herself to relax. At least Jax thought that was it, nobody goes from tense to relaxed that quickly.

She looked at him, for a long time. She didn’t say anything, she just sat there, looking at his face, and he tried to look back calmly, but seeing his friend react like that made him sad, and he couldn’t keep it from his face.

She finally looked down at the table. “I’m sorry, Jax. I didn’t mean to get all… fearful, but there’s been talk coming down from the Crystal Empire. I’ve heard things… terrible things, about Sombra… And what he did to Rainbow… Still, I can see that you’re the Jax I know, and I’m a fool for thinking differently.” Her ears folded at the end.

“It’s… It’s fine Beating. You’ve been taking things very well, everything considered. You weren’t afraid of me when I first came to the hospital, but I can understand why you could be now.” He sighed. He didn’t want to start from scratch with his fear status, but it looked like he would have to. The word would get out and ponies would start fearing him as much, if not more, as when he first came to Ponyville. It was a depressing thought.

“Alright… thank you for telling me.” She gave him a small smile, but he could still see the emotions whirling in her eyes. “How about we talk about something a bit more pleasant?”

Jax nodded and took out a letter, sliding it over to her. “From Luna. She apologizes for it being a bit late, but she’s been busy.” Beating visibly perked up at receiving a letter from Luna.

“I wasn’t going to complain, it’s not like I have written one for her… even though I should have.” Her smile became a bit guilty. “I didn’t think she really considered me her friend. I thought she was only talking to me because of you.”

Jax smiled happily at how much the atmosphere had changed when Beating received the letter. Most of the thickness was gone. “Luna isn’t like that. I’m sure she’s happy to have you as her friend.”

Beating blushed a bit. “And I’m happy to have her as a friend. Should I give my reply to you or…?”

“I think using the postal system is preferred, but I don’t mind if you come by to send letters now and again.”

Beating nodded in thought, before a teasing smile appeared on her muzzle. “So how is it going between the two of you?”

Jax smiled triumphantly at her. “That’s actually the good news I have. We’re dating now.”

Beating’s jaw dropped low. “Really?! Does she know about…” She rolled her hoof at him.

Jax rolled his eyes. “Yes, she and Celestia came to my house this morning. That was actually why I was in the hospital, we were meeting with the elements, because Celestia wants some pony with me every day, in case something happens…”

Beating looking around at the empty restaurant and raised her brow at him.

“What? I’m not a prisoner and she said it was okay that I went out to talk with you.”

“Alright, I get it. So you and Princess Luna… I can’t say I’m surprised.”

“You looked pretty surprised.” He snickered.

“Well I didn’t expect it to happen just yet.” She defended herself. “Jax, I saw her watch over you for three days straight. I saw the look on her face when she looked at your quivering form. I saw the sorrow, I saw the concern, and I saw the determination. It was hurting her to see you like that, but she continued to lay right next to you, allowing you to find even the smallest comfort in her presence. I saw her unwillingness to even go to the toilet. I saw, and I knew that if you cared for her even one tenth of what she cared for you, you would end up together.

Then I watched as you were forced to spend time together when you woke up. I saw how happy she was when she looked at you, how relaxed she seemed with you so close to her, but I also saw how happy you seemed. How you absolutely radiated joy. I saw the wonder that filled you when you looked at her, and I knew that you cared for her as much as she cared for you. If I didn’t know, I would never have guessed that you were forced together, I would think that these were two individuals who enjoyed each other’s company, and liked being close. And I knew you were meant to be together.”

Jax was left speechless. “Wow…” It was true that he looked back fondly at the memories of being forced together with another being, and that that probably wasn’t normal, but he hadn’t thought about it the same way Beating had.

Beating nodded happily. “So it makes me very happy that you finally did end up together, you were just both so… I don’t know, unwilling to see the other pony’s love, I was afraid it would take you forever. I’m happy I was wrong. And now I have another reason to pay for this lunch.” She smiled happily at Jax, and he smiled back. It was good to have friends.

***

You’ve been kinda quiet for a while now. You aren’t planning something, are you?’ Jax thought on his way back to the apple farm. He had talked with Beating some more, and they had eaten their pizza, after which she had told him that she needed to get back to work and had paid for them.

Sombra hadn’t said a thing since he laughed at Celestia’s plan. It was suspicious.

A sound like a purr resonated through his mind. ‘I am thankful to you, Jax.

Did he just use his name? He hadn’t done that… at all. And thanking him? Sombra wouldn’t do that… What was going on?

With all this positive magic you surround yourself with, I am finally free from the negative magic high I was on… I can finally think freely.

I have everything figured out, Jax. Soon, you will fall to me, and with your body… We will do marvellous things together, Jax. The world will bow before us…’

Well… Fuck.

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas! Except if you celebrate Christmas the 25th... or don't celebrate it at all... In that case, merry early chapter!

Yeah, you didn't think the positive and negative high I introduced when Jax was hospitilized was for nothing, did you? This was what I had in mind XD Of course I didn't think it would be so long between I introduced it and between I used it... don't worry, I'll explain some more about it in the next chapter in case you guys forgot ;)

Speaking of the next chapter, I'm thinking about taking this story a bit more seriously, quality wise. It's been a great relief for me to be able to not have to stress over this story so much, and I feel like it's easier to write it... So I'm making posting every other week the norm.
It's a bit late in the story, but I'm going to try and focus on making my writing even better XD So comment if you see anything wrong ^^

PreviousChapters Next