• Published 25th Jan 2015
  • 15,740 Views, 1,363 Comments

A New Beginning in a New Land - REDACTED99999



'Through worlds and sadness and loneliness, we found each other, and if we can be happy together, then maybe it will all have been worth it somehow.' - A man in love.

  • ...
78
 1,363
 15,740

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38

Beating Heart and a couple other nurses looked at him with mouths agape. “Beating! You have to save her!” He told his friend. It was a good thing Beating was there. She was the first to shake out of it and get a stretcher, which Jax laid Rainbow in. There was so much blood…

“Nurses! Let’s get to work!” She said, getting the other nearby nurses to react. They started rolling Rainbow Dash to an operation room, checking for vital information on the way. Jax knew he couldn’t follow, but he felt kind of lost just standing there.

Suddenly there was a pop beside him, and Discord appeared. He looked at the portal behind him and snapped his claw, closing it. “You know, connecting two places might be rather fun, but it’s definitely not good for the universe.” He told him, before looking around properly.

“I wasn’t trying to connect them. I tried to teleport, like you and Twilight do.”

“Ah yes, that’s much better for everything involved… say, why are we in a hospital? You’re not sick are you? If you are, I make quite the doctor, if I do say so myself.” He snapped his claw again, to make stereotypical doctor-clothes appear on him. White coat, the thingy to listen for a heartbeat around the neck, and so on.

“No. Come on, let’s find the waiting room. I’ll tell you everything” He started walking, Discord walking beside him.

***

“So dear Rainbow Dash got hurt protecting you.” Discord wiped a tear from his eye. Jax had a feeling it was more for show than actual sadness.

“Yeah. I feel pretty awful about it too. What’ll I do if she dies? It went right through her chest…” Jax fought hard against the tears that threatened to fall any second. It was a weird feeling, being responsible for someone’s injury. “It should’ve been me in there.”

‘I always protect my friends.’

So she had said, and she had meant it. Rainbow was amazing.

Jax felt a claw pat him on the back. When he looked up, he saw that Discord was looking kind of uncomfortable or awkward, like he didn’t quite know what to do. “I wouldn’t worry too much about dear old Rainbow Dash. I have a feeling she will be-“ He suddenly looked up at the wall opposite them, as if looking through it, and snapped his paw. “-just fine. You can say a lot about that suspicious mare, but she is definitely not the type to just lie down and give up.” He ended with a grimace. Wait, no, Jax was pretty sure that was supposed to be an encouraging smile.

He dried his eyes and sniffed a little. “You did something?” Nothing was different in the room they were in, so it must have been somewhere else, and Jax was pretty sure that Rainbow was in the direction he had looked.

His grimace/encouraging smile changed into something more genuine. “Thank you for not being instantly suspicious. All I did was remove the crystal residue left in her bloodstream. It would seem that none of the ponies thought about that. Would have had a nasty effect on her mood, but I didn’t save her life if that’s what you’re asking. That’s up to the doctors and nurses.”

He looked at his blood stained hands. He should probably wash them soon. “Would you? If they weren’t able to?” Jax inquired.

“…Yes. It would make Fluttershy sad to lose her.” His smile turned a little sad.

“You really care about her, don’t you? Fluttershy I mean.” Jax asked softly.

“More than any other creature on this planet.” He said with more sincerity than Jax had heard him express before. It made Jax a little worried about his plans to unite Fluttershy with Rainbow.

“She’s in love with Rainbow Dash.” He stated bluntly, observing Discord carefully. His ears folded in the pony way of showing sadness.

“I know. I don’t plan on coming between them.” His voice sounded sad and… somber. This must be a subject he has given a lot of thought.

“But you love her… romantically that is.”

“I do. I didn’t always. It wasn’t until she forgave me so easily for stabbing… for betraying her that I started to think… but it doesn’t matter. She has her eyes on Rainbow Dash, and even though Rainbow Dash doesn’t like me much, she treats Fluttershy well. I want Fluttershy to be happy. If Rainbow Dash can make her happy, then I’m not going to interfere. She better not try to take away our tea-time though.” He ended with a weak laughter.

Jax patted him on the shoulder the same way Discord had done for him moments ago. He didn’t quite know what to say. What do you say to someone who willingly stepped back from his chance at love?

Discord surprised him with what came out of his mouth next. “It was… nice. Talking about it I mean. Thank you for listening.”

“No problem.” Jax answered honestly.

“It’s nice not being feared. Oh listen to me, getting all sentimental. I better make myself disappear before the tears start. I’m known to cry rivers.” He snapped his paw and disappeared before Jax could say anything else.

Jax just sat there for the longest time. With Discord gone, the feeling of guilt resurfaced. Rainbow Dash had most likely saved his life. The only thing that could have saved him in that moment was if his body reacted with the crystal in the same way spells do. Jax was unsure whether that was the case, but it was hard to say. The crystal was obviously magical - how Big Mac could use spells still baffled him - but so was a lot of the medication he had taken been as well, and that worked on him just fine. It was all very mysterious. He decided to stop thinking about it before he went crazy.

But there wasn’t much else he could think about. His thoughts kept going in circles - Rainbow Dash, the crystal, his magic, repeat.

He tussled his hair in frustration. It was all very frustrating.

“Jax! Where is she? Is she alright?” Applejack ran at him from the entrance, with Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rarity behind her.

“I don’t know. Discord said she would be alright, but that’s all I have to go on.” He was relieved that he could focus on something else for a time.

Applejack snorted. “I wouldn’t trust-“

“If Discord said she’ll be alright, then I’ll trust him.” Fluttershy interrupted sharply.

Fluttershy was bluntly standing up for Discord. It would seem that everybody was showing Jax a side of them he hadn’t seen before today.

They all sat down beside him, except Applejack. “Ah’ll go ask a nurse.” Well, apparently she didn’t trust Discord as much.

“Where is… did Twilight win?” Jax asked anxiously.

“Darling, whoever imitated Big Mac decided to run the second the rest of us showed up. Oh, but do be careful with what you say around Applejack, she’s a bit… antsy, what with her brother being either kidnapped by changelings or… something else.” Rarity informed him.

“What… do you mean by that last part?”

“Well, Twilight said she had a suspicion that it wasn’t changelings, and that she was going to go back to the library to send a letter to the princesses. I don’t know what else it could be though, but I trust Twilight.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t have interrupted Applejack” Fluttershy suddenly said. “She must be pretty sad. I mean, that’s no reason to distrust others but…”

Jax pulled her into a hug. “We are all a little stressed out right now. I’m sure everybody will forgive each other when Rainbow Dash makes it.” She stayed in his embrace, but didn’t say anything. “As to Twilight’s theory, I guess we’ll see when she gets here.”

“And then we’ll figure out what meaney pants is behind all this!” Pinkie declared.

They sat in silence afterwards. After a while, Applejack came back, grumbling about unhelpful nurses. Fluttershy started to fidget in Jax embrace so he let her go. It would seem she was nervous about Rainbow even if she did trust Discord. They all were, he guessed. Rarity tried to start some small talk a couple of times, but was only met with short and unhelpful answers.

Then Pinkie tried to cheer ponies up by talking about the party she would have when Rainbow recovered. It did the trick for Applejack and Rarity, but Fluttershy and Jax remained deep in thought.

Jax couldn’t quite figure out how he felt. Still guilty, but also shocked, and even angry that Rainbow had sacrificed herself like that. How could she just throw herself in danger like that?

‘I always protect my friends.’

Well of course she would. She was Rainbow Dash, the coolest pony around. Still… he should have been the one to take that spike straight to the chest. He should have been the one…

Fluttershy laid a hoof on his shoulder. He realized he had been clenching his fist until it shook. He still had blood on them.

“I’ll go… wash my hands.” He told them. They nodded sympathetically.

The bathrooms were easy to find, the blood was hard to scrub off. It took some time. When he got back, Twilight was there with Spike on her back, having seemingly just arrived.

“… couldn’t confirm it. We know so little about changelings after all. It could be a changeling that simply learned crystal magic somehow, but we have to be prepared for the possibility that Sombra is back. I sent a letter to the princesses with my suspicions.”

“But how? I thought Sombra was blasted away by the heart?” Spike asked from her back.

“Yes Spike, blasted away. Which means he could have survived. How he would be controlling Big Mac, I have no idea, since we know so little about what he can do…” She stomped her hoof on the ground. “This is so frustrating! If I had more information, I could easily figure it out, but nooo, nopony knows anything about changelings, and nopony remembers Sombra’s time as a ruler…” She started pacing during her little rant.

“Calm down there, sugarcube. Ah’m sure we’ll figure out everything in time. For now, let’s just see if Rainbow… let’s just wait for Rainbow to make it.”

“Yes… you’re right.” Spike got off of her and they both sat down.

Time went by slowly. Everybody was on edge, but they somehow managed not to snap at each other.

Suddenly a trio of tiny ponies burst in. They looked like they couldn’t decide between being excited and concerned, especially Scootaloo. They ran over to them.

“Rarity! Look, Scootaloo got her cutie mark!” The white one of the bunch exclaimed, somewhere between whining and happy for her friend. After a second it would seem she decided on happy for friend. “Isn’t it neat?”

“Yeah, it’s awesome, but how’s Rainbow?” Scootaloo burst out. “Is she okay?”

“We don’t know, sugarcube. She’s still in surgery, but Ah bet she’s gonna be just fine.” Applejack told them. All the ponies in the vicinity put on the sad pony look, folded ears, eyes downcast, frown on their muzzle.

“That’s a pretty neat cutie mark though!” Pinkie recovered first. “So what’s your special talent?”

Jax looked at the new mark on Scootaloo. It was weird how fur that had matched the rest of her body suddenly changed color to make a design. Hers was a gray shield with white pegasus wings, as if it was flying. It did look pretty cool.

Scootaloo took on a proud stance. “I think it’s protecting ponies!” She said with utmost confidence. “By flying!” She flapped her wings a couple of times and just managed to get off the ground. “Huh, it was so easy before…” She seemed to lose control and landed on her side. “Ow. I’m fine.”

Jax smiled at the display.

“I was certain it would be something with that scooter…” Rarity whispered.

“I thought she was going to be a mechanic.” Twilight whispered back.

“I thought she was going to be a dancer.” Fluttershy mutters.

“I think it’s great. Protecting people is very important Scootaloo. Are you going to join the guard?” Jax asked her.

“I’m… not sure yet…” Well, she had just gotten the mark that day.

He gave her a smile. “I have some connections with Princess Luna if you ever want to join the night guard.” He smiled and winked at her. She looked excited at the prospect, but she had to finish school and all that anyway, so it wasn’t like there was a rush.

He wondered what Luna was doing.

***

Luna was signing papers. This had been her main assignment before she left for Ponyvile, and apparently Celestia had deemed that she was ready for it once again. As happy as she was to help her sister with the workload, it was a tedious job. Some of these required that she read thirty boring pages before she could decide whether or not she should sign.

She wanted to throw the entire stack out the balcony.

She could have an assistant read through them and give her a summary, but Luna liked to read anything she signed anyway. Being a princess meant responsibility, and she was responsible for anything she signed.

She wished Jax was there. He could gently pet her while she decided whether the Canterlot Orphanage needed a bigger budget, which required quite a lot of thought. As much as she wanted to just sign it, she had to see if the crown could even afford it, without having to take the bits from something important.

She sighed and rubbed the base of her horn. Maybe she could take it from Blue Blood’s allowance. Did he even get allowance? She was not sure how he afforded all those spa visits, she had not had much contact with the stallion. She would have to look through the archives.

To Luna’s immense pleasure, Celestia decided to come in. To her worry, Celestia looked displeased.

“Did something happen?” She asked, a gnawing feeling already forming in her stomach. Of course something had happened, why else would she come in with that look? Was it something with Jax? Did he hurt himself again?

“Yes sister. Twilight just sent me this letter.” Celestia presented a letter that Luna took in her own magic.

Dear Princess Celestia and Luna.

I write to let you know that several things have happened in Ponyvile. I don’t have time to tell you the whole story since I have to hurry over to the hospital.

Earlier this morning, Scootaloo flies in to the farm and tells us that Big Mac tried to kill her, Jax saved her, and Rainbow Dash was already on her way there. Applejack and I had some trouble wrapping out heads around the thought that Big Mac would try to hurt anypony, much less kill, but I teleported to the eastern fields nonetheless to see. When I arrived, Rainbow Dash accused Big Mac off being a changeling, which he told us he wasn’t, except he didn’t sound like Big Mac didn’t have Big Mac’s accent (I’ll explain in more detail later.)

Then the strangest thing happened. He stomped the ground and I could feel a spell being used. A deep red crystal emerged from the ground over by Jax and Rainbow Dash, growing bigger as to pierce them. Rainbow Dash shoved Jax out of the way and took the spike through the chest wait what?

I hope she’s alright.

I can’t find any books on it, but that crystal was familiar. It was the same crystal magic that Sombra used. It could be a changeling using crystal magic, or Sombra is back, and is somehow using Big Mac.

If you have any suggestions, please send a letter back. I will write a more detailed report once I’m sure Rainbow Dash is fine.

Twilight Sparkle.

“… I am going.” Luna said as she charged her horn. It would be a little exhausting, but she could teleport to Ponyville (and back) without too much trouble.

“Luna, wait.” Celestia stopped her before she cast the spell. She seemed to hesitate before she continued. “I know how it is to worry about those you care about. This is how I feel every time I send Twilight on a dangerous mission, or she finds danger by herself. Are you going to drop everything every time somepony is in danger? I know it’s hard, but we are princesses. We have a responsibility to Equestria, first and foremost.” She sounded almost apologetic at the end.

Luna was just about to argue, but thought better of it. “Of course, you are right Celestia. We are princesses, now and forever.” She could not keep the bitterness entirely out of her voice. Celestia heard it, because she leaned in and hugged Luna.

“I know it’s hard sister, when you just want to rush off to hold them tight and never let them get hurt again.”

“Sure.” She said without letting her emotions show. She was not sure what she could say. “If that is all, Celestia, I would like to finish this paperwork before I go to sleep.”

“Of… Of course.” Celestia let go of her, looking dejected. “I’ll let you get to it then. Good day, sister.”

Luna nodded back. “Good day.”

She watched Celestia walk slowly out of her room. The second the door closed behind her, she started counting. At a hundred, she was sure Celestia was not nearby anymore. She teleported down to the archives to retrieve the right documents, then back to her room.

She went over and opened the door, looking at the two day guards in front of her door. “Make sure nopony disturbs me. I need rest.” They both saluted.

She locked the doors, just to be sure, then she went over to her desk again. She would do her paperwork, yes, but this could be done from anyplace in the world. There really was not any reason for her to stay here when she could finish this work in, say… Ponyville, as a random example.

Jax was probably at the hospital, waiting for news about Rainbow Dash… but she could wait at his house. He probably would not mind.

She charged her horn again, this time going through with the spell.

***

Beating Heart came out with some doctor Jax didn’t know. He noticed they both looked tired.

“You’re here for Rainbow Dash, I assume.” He addressed them.

“How is s-?” “Is she fi-?” “Is she gonna be-?” “Is she oka-?” “Is she-“

They all started at the same time, before he cut them off with a hoof. “Please, let me speak. We finished the surgery successfully. The… crystal had started to spike out inside of her, which caused a lot of problems, but we managed, and she’s stable. I would really like to know how this happened.”

“Jax?” Beating asked before any of them could answer. “Can I talk with you? In private?”

“Sure.” He answered, curious and a little nervous about what this could be about. He followed her out of the hall.

***

“Okay… Why are we in a closet?” Jax asked Beating. She had shoved him in there, followed and closed the door behind them.

“It’s a supply room. Anyway, how are you? You haven’t come to visit since Luna left and now this. Are you okay?” She looked worried, at least as far as he could tell in the darkness.

“You shoved me in here to ask me how I feel?” Jax asked a little perplexed. This was hardly the time…

“Yes, Jax, it’s what friends do. So, how are you?”

“I’ve been better,” He started. “I’ve been-“

“Worse, yes, I know. Come on Jax, you carried your bleeding friend through a portal. This is the time to complain. Let me share your burden a bit. I may not be the princess of friendship, I may not be able to help you other than listen, but one of the great things about having friends is telling them your worries. I tried to visit you yesterday to talk, but you weren’t home.” She said with a steadfast tone. She was serious about it.

He thought back to the day before, where he had told the others about how he felt with Luna’s sudden disappearance. He had felt a little better, and this morning he had felt a little lighter. Maybe he should share it. It was clear that Beating was worried about him…

“Alright…” He contemplated what he was going to tell her exactly. “I… feel…” What did he feel? “I don’t know, Beating. Is it normal to be angry at the one who saved your life? At the same time I feel guilty for not being fast enough and having to be saved in the first place. But… I’m also happy that it isn’t me in there.” He admitted. He was ashamed of it, but he was happy that Rainbow had taken the spike for him. “And that just makes me feel more guilty.” He turned his head away.

“I’m not sure what’s going on, but… it was her choice. Moreover… if you hadn’t brought her in here immediately, she would have died. If you had taken that spike, there would be no way to bring you in here fast enough to save you.” Her voice was soft, but firm. “You would have died."

“I…”

“And nopony wants to see you die. Not me, not the mares out there, and not Princess Luna.” She firmly stated.

“… Thank you.” He put a hand on her whither, before deciding to pull her into a hug which was quickly returned. “I’m sorry about not visiting, I’ve been busy helping at Sweet Apple Acres. Afterwards, I’m so tired I can barely think.”

“That explains that then. It’s okay.” She simply said.

He felt better. Talking with friends really did help.

Author's Note:

I just saw the episode where the CMC get their cutie marks like two minutes ago and I'm like... ah well, close enough XD It's just funny cause Scootaloo gets hers in my story, but it wasnt at all what I thought it would be XD It was a great episode though XD
Anyway, Luna is coming back! can't keep away from the sexiest human in Equestria ;) not for long anyway ^^
If this isn't enough for you, try To see both faces. it's pretty good :)

PreviousChapters Next