• Published 7th Aug 2014
  • 32,202 Views, 1,011 Comments

Death to Nightmare - Admiral Q Ponyform



A dying man receives a second chance but in the body of Nightmare Moon

  • ...
179
 1,011
 32,202

PR Campaign

The unicorn mare entered a dark room and she could see the vague outline of her boss sitting before her.

“Report agent.”

“Ma'am I saw it myself, Nightmare Moon is back but she isn't acting herself. She saved that airship and did a speech I would have expected to see Princess Twilight or Princess Cadance spout.”

“Hhhhmmmm, she's either lying low by pretending to be reformed or something went drastically wrong with the spell. Setup observation teams to watch her. We must know the truth of her current state. I'll have the Unicorns and the other mages prepare a new spell in case she isn't properly Nightmare Moon.” The unicorn nodded and left to fulfill her orders. The boss used her mane to grab a drink. “Soon, soon our plans will be fulfilled. MUHAHAHAHAHAH! Whoa! Got to watch myself there, evil laugh is for Mane-iac not me.” The boss took a sip and planned for the future.

Selene stretched her whole body as she awoke for a new day. Yesterday was her big reveal to Equestria and, since no mob stormed the castle, she figured it went over well, but the next few days will tell for sure. After a wash and some brushing she again made her way to the dinning room and saw everyone there. Saying her hellos she ordered her meal.

“So Selene, any plans today?” Celestia asked.

“I want to see Canterlot itself. I didn't get the chance when we arrived a few weeks ago.”

“That might be a good idea but I'm sending guards for your protection.” She summoned a servant over and exchange words before the pony left. “They will be waiting for you when you are done with your breakfast.”

“Deal.” Then Selene noticed a tray of doughnuts and the distinctive style of Doughnut Joe. Picking one up, she told it “Oh yes, your frosting will become one with my stomach. Resistance is futile, for I am SELENE!” and with that she bit into the doughnut with a blissful smile to the merriment of her fellow diners. Eying Celestia who was laughing the loudest Selene quipped. “Celestia, I have one word. CAKE.” The Princess stopped laughing and blushed at bit. With a wicked smile, Selene finished the doughnut and looked for her next victim.

There wasn't much to talk about since they were all waiting on how the public will react to Selene. Meal over and a bathroom break later Selene bid them all a goodbye and went through the doors where she saw a pair of guards waiting, one with some saddlebags.

“Lady Selene, the Princess thought you might like to buy some things so these saddlebags have some bits in them for your use.” Standard policy was that all alicorns are prince or princess depending on gender. Selene, however, was quite unique, being the twisted form of a current princess with a dark history. She was in a gray area. Currently, Celestia declares her a noble and thus she gets the title Lady. Among her discussions with Celestia and Luna they decided to give her a stipend like they got. They hoped they would have some of this cleared up soon but there would have to be heavy debates with nobles on her final standing. Frankly Selene had no real interest in the title or responsibilities that come with being a princess of this country.

“Excellent.” She said as she took the saddle bags and put them on her back. “There, now you are not encumbered should you have to defend me. Hopefully, gentlemen, I will not have need of it.” With that she headed for the castle entrance with the guards in tow.

Selene got her first look of Canterlot from the ground. It reminded her of a European city but with wider streets. Most buildings here had two to three floors and there were ponies hustling and bustling about down there with you but you were to to work or buying and selling. Some of the activity died a bit when she was noticed. They were all waiting for something. Selene raised her hoof and with a forced smile she said.

“Hello everypony, lovely day we are having.” The silence continued. 'WHY MUST THE SILENCE CONTINUE!?' Then a small filly rushed up to her.

“Why are you so tall and what's with your mane and tall?” Selene smile turned genuine and lowered her head to the filly.

“The answer to both is that I'm an alicorn like Princess Celestia.”

“But what about Princesses Cadance and Twilight? They don't have manes like that.”

“Well they are not as old as me. One day their manes will be like mine.”

“Well you're still pretty.” Selene, seizing an opportunity to show off, picked her up with her mane.

“Why thank you little one. Now can you point out your parents?”

“Ummmm,” The little filly looked around a bit. “Oh there they are.” Selene walked over to them and they had clear worry on their face. Handing the filly over (a phrase that was, for once since coming to Equestria, arguably applicable) Selene commented.

“You have a wonderful daughter, even if she tries you at times.”

“Th-thank you Nightmare...” Selene lifted a hoof up to silence her.

“I am Selene, not Nightmare. I never want to be a nightmare to you all.” The mare nodded.

“Thank you Lady Selene. I am Morning Rays, this is my husband Beam Wave. And this little bundle is Morning Wave.” Selene smiled at the family of unicorns.

“A pleasure to meet you. Have a wonderful day.”

“That was so cool that her hair carried me. Favorite Princess ever!” Selene just shook her head. 'Can I not escape the fact that all known alicorns are princesses?'

She went to a few stores and stalls and bought a couple things she liked and a couple of good gifts for Luna and Celestia. Quite a few of the store clerks were nervous around her but they didn't run away in terror so that's a plus. It will take time for ponies to smile and greet her, and time is one thing she now has an abundance of. She did have a couple of times where a bunch of ponies threw insults at her about eternal night and wanting her out of Equestria or banished to the moon. The guards came between them and Selene and she did her best to ignore them and so far they eventually gave up.

For lunch she went to Doughnut Joe's and again silence happened when she entered. He tried to put on a brave face as Selene approached him.

“W-what can I getcha ma'am?”

“Five old fashion glazed doughnuts with a glass of Chocolate milk.” She pauses to look at her guards. “And anything they want.” They didn't move at first and Selene frowned. “Well come on, you must be hungry and I will NOT have starving guards. So order something.” The two looked at each other and their will seemed to be weakening. “Come on, you are practically law enforcement and law enforcement loves doughnuts. Can't you smell that delicious aroma? HHHhhmmmmm?” With a sigh they both gave in and gave there orders. With food in hand they picked a table and enjoyed their meal. Selene had a priceless look of pure bliss as she chomped down on a baked good. The usual activity of the shop returned shortly thereafter.

The sun had set when she returned from her trip in Canterlot and after a stop in her room to drop off most of the stuff she bought she went to the dinning room to meet with the rest of the diners.

“So how was your trip into Canterlot Selene?” Celestia asked with a smile.

'Seriously what is with that smile? Only Pinkie seems to break her in number of smiles per day.' Selene thought to herself. Outwardly she replied. “Well the townspeople aren't at the gate with pitchforks so I say pretty well.” That got a chuckle from Celestia. Rarity craned her neck over glancing at the bag Selene brought with her.

“I see you did some shopping dear.”

“I did but I wasn't sure what to get all of you since I honestly don't know you well enough, unlike these two yahoos.” Selene gestured at the Sun and Night princesses who frowned and pouted. To which Selene responded with a raspberry showing it was in jest.

“So what did you get us?” Luna asked.

“Well since I see you with coffee so much I got this.” Using her magic Selene brought out a coffee mug. It was a dark blue with the words 'Do not approach unless empty' in white. Luna chuckled at the mug.

“Just my style, thank you Selene.”

“You're welcome, and for you Celestia.” Her magic lifted out a weight measuring device. “There now you can see whether or not you have gained weight.” Celestia glared at the device floating in front of her then looked at me. I smiled at her and I heard a high pitch sound. 'Wait a minute, did I just squee? Oh great I did didn't I? Help me I'm becoming like PINKIE!' Celestia just shook her head and took the gift. The rest of dinner was a fairly quiet affair.

Two days later Selene was in her room reading a book when she heard a knock on her door.

“Come in.” The door opened to reveal Rarity. “Oh no, it's the dress demon!”

“Really dear it couldn't have been that bad?” she asked, “You looked fabulous in it. Anyway a dear friend of mine wants to meet you and I've okayed it with the Princess for another trip outside.” Selene looked pointedly at Rarity.

“No dresses?”

“As lovely as you would look in one it is not required for this meeting.” Selene marked her book and closed it.

“Okay let's go.” The two leave the castle, again with a pair of guards in tow.

Rarity lead them through Canterlot till she lead them to an impressive mansion that was three, maybe four stories tall. The unicorn rang a bell and in a minute the door opened and an earth pony in a butler’s uniform opened it.

“Ah Miss Rarity, a pleasure to see you again.” The butler replied. He had accent that Selene would think one such as him would have.

“And always to you Reliably Proper. I believe we are expected?”

“Indeed Miss Rarity. He is waiting in the green house for the both of you.” The butler led them to the back of the mansion to a large greenhouse that seemed half the length of the mansion. At a table in the center of the green house sat a white unicorn with a blue mane and mustache, a monocle, and wearing a tux. Upon seeing them he got up and with the same style of accent that Rarity uses greeted them.

“Ah, Miss Rarity. So glad you could bring her with you.”

“Well you asked nicely and Selene was interested.” Turning to address Selene Rarity continued. “Selene allow me to introduce you to my dear friend Fancy Pants. Fancy Pants, my latest friend and newcomer to our world Selene.” The first thing going through Selene's mind was.
'Fancy Pants!? Seriously some parents named him FANCY PANTS!? He isn't even wearing pants and in this culture why would he even need them?' Outwardly she raised a hoof to shake his and said.

“A pleasure to meet you Mr. Pants.” 'MUST. NOT. CHUCKLE.' He returned the gesture and Selene got a good look at the stallion's demeanor. He seemed curious and putting on a bit of a brave face for Selene could see a hint of fear. 'Understandable considering the legacy I inherited.'

“I share that pleasure Miss Selene. Please have a seat. Proper please bring out the lunch meal when the chefs are done with it.”

“At once sir.” The butler walked away as the trio sat.

“Now then,” Selene began, “You wanted to meet me so I suppose the question is 'Why?'”

“Well your appearance, in more ways than one, are making quite a few waves in the nobility. I wanted to meet you in pony to get an accurate read on you my dear.”

“Fair enough. The key points you know are from my address to Canterlot. In my world I suffered a fatal stabbing saving a potential rape victim. When I woke up from my black out I looked like this in that Everfree Castle. Neither me or the Princess know how I got here and in this form. Since I'm likely dead back home, I have no reason to try to return, so I'm trying to rebuild my life here.”

“Interesting. Do you have Nightmare Moon's powers or just her appearance?”

“I believe I have her powers but not the knowledge to use them yet. I'm basically a powerful unicorn with wings at this moment. Celestia and Luna do try to teach me some things when they have the time.”

“I see you don't refer to the royalty by their titles?”

“My home country was born by rejecting a monarchy for it's greed and power hungry tactics. While both Celestia and Luna are, to my knowledge, good rulers, my upbringing doesn't make me fully respect royal titles. Merit is what I will respect.”

“Fair enough, I myself got all of this through merit and I know Miss Rarity has done so herself. Her fashion lines have become all the rage in Canterlot. I consider our chance encounter as a quite fortunate one.”

“I can certainly say the same Fancy, but I do have a question. As lovely as your greenhouse, why are we in here rather then enjoying the beautiful day outside?”

“That, my dear, is for the safety of Miss Selene. The glass is enchanted so only the most powerful magic blasts or spell can get through.” Rarity put a hoof to her mouth in shock.

“My word, do you really think somepony would go to that length?” It was Selene who answered.

“Quite easily Rarity. I am physically Nightmare Moon. The only difference between me and the infamous mare is what's stored in my my head.” Selene tapped her head a couple of times for emphasis. “Many will not see the difference and in a misguided attempt to save their country they will try to kill me.” She looked at Fancy Pants with a serious but warm look. “Thank you for your consideration Mr. Pants.” He nods his head in acceptance while Rarity tries to come to grips with the idea that somepony would try to kill her new friend just because of how she looks.

“It's still hard for me to fathom this, Selene. I have never had to think of such things on a daily basis. Yes, as a Bearer of Harmony, I have seen dangers but to worry about it everyday?” Rarity just shook her head at that and felt a hoof on her shoulder from Selene.

“Be thankful you don't have to, my friend. I think Luna would be the one who is closest to understanding this and at least she physically looks different now. I can't look different because I don't know how, but you know what helps me endure it?”

“No, Darling, what?”

“You and the others. Despite the issue with the dress you all are my friends. You are able to look past the body and see me underneath and that counts to me more than anything else.” Rarity's response was simple and beyond what words could say. She hugged the black alicorn who returned it, further shredding the man card. Before the conversation continued lunch had arrived and the three paused their discussion to enjoy the meal.

After lunch was just a little small talk, mainly between Rarity and Fancy Pants like asking how his wife was doing and so forth. Eventually the little meet ended and the two mares bid Fancy pants a good day. Their guards rejoined them as they left the mansion and Rarity was more aware of why they were there. First she just thought it as ceremonial since Selene was an alicorn and a guest of extreme importance. However she firmly believes that they are there for Selene's protection. She was troubled by the thoughts that brought up and felt pity for her friend. She felt the need to cheer Selene up but her elegance and grace style wouldn't work. She was more like Rainbow Dash and----Rainbow Dash.



'IIIdddeaaa!'

Author's Note:

FYI Selen's voice is pilot NMM voice, not sure why DHX changed it later.