• Published 7th Aug 2014
  • 32,191 Views, 1,011 Comments

Death to Nightmare - Admiral Q Ponyform



A dying man receives a second chance but in the body of Nightmare Moon

  • ...
179
 1,011
 32,191

Enjoying Life

It has been just over a week since Selene first met Fancy Pants. She still privately chuckled when she thought of that name. They have talked a couple of times and she met his wife Fluer De Lis. She was a somewhat skinny but striking mare. Lucky guy. Selene mainly kept to the castle furthering her training but today she decided a break was in order. She explored the opposite side of the city and was now taking a lunch break in what seemed to be the rival to Doughnut Joe's place. It was called True Brew Cafe and was owned and operated by a unicorn named Frothy Brew. He stayed behind the counter and prepared or served various drinks, hot and cold while another unicorn named Peach Delight served drinks or food to the tables. From their banter it sounded that Peach was his daughter, but why wasn't she Peach Brew instead of Peach Delight? Pony naming conventions still eluded Selene. Frothy's eyes widened at the sight of Selene but she did nothing more other than get her order. Peach on the other hand reminded her of a tamer Pinkie Pie and greeted Selene and her guards with smiles. After dropping off their orders Selene noticed one of her male guard took interest in Peach's rump. She got that knowing smile on her lips.

She and her guards were enjoying their meal when a familiar Cyan pegasus came in. Rainbow dash had a smug smile on her lips as she came in. Selene gave a little shake of her friend's attitude.

“Well Rainbow, I didn't expect to see you in Canterlot. You could have let me know you were coming. Come sit with me and my guards and get some refreshments unless you had some on the train ride here?”

“Thanks Selene and I didn't take the train so I could use a bite.” As Rainbow sat down Selene was surprised to see saddle bags on her cyan friend. She didn't usually see Rainbow wear them.

“Didn't take the train?” Selene asked in surprise. “You flew the entire way from Ponyville to here? RD honey I know you're an athlete but isn't that a bit extreme?”

“Somewhat, it did tire me out but it was worth it. Rares thought you were down a bit with needing to worry about danger all the time, but thought her usual style wouldn't fit you.” Peach came by and Rainbow Dash ordered a cupcake and some apple juice as Selene responded.

“Very true, I admit I have been feeling slightly depressed lately, and, though you six are most certainly my friends, Rarity and I differ on a lot of things.”

“Exactly, which is why we got together and, with a little help from the Princesses, got you these.” Rainbow dug into her saddle bags and pulled out a pair of what looked like tickets. Her eyes narrowed to see that they were in fact tickets; tickets with the name Wonderbolts in bold blue and gold.

“Tickets to see the Wonderbolts' show?”

“Yeah, isn't it awesome. They just got back from a tour in Las Pegasus a week ago so this will be the first show in Cloudsdale.” Selene lean towards Rainbow giving her a serious look.

“Are you sure the royal sisters are okay with this?” Rainbow elbowed the black alicorn and with a smug expression returned.

“Like I said, we had some help from the princesses. How do you think we got the royal suite? The Princess are either sleeping or in court so they couldn't go. It will be awesome to have somepony go with me, Fluttershy isn't into these kinds of things and I have to literally threaten books to get Twilight to go.” The mental image of Rainbow holding a gun to a book as a desperate Twilight pleaded nearby caused Selene to have the most evil of grins.

“Okay this sounds fun. By the way how did you find me?”

“I just follow the crowds.” she pointed with a hoof to the outside and Selene look to see quite a few ponies look into the cafe and specifically at her. She even saw a couple of cameras out there. Amongst the crowd was a chariot with a pair of pegasus in front and a pair in the back, clearly there to take them to the city. She look back to the table with a neutral expression as commented.

“Well I hope they get my good side.” She though she heard a snort from her guards. “Let's finish up here and head to Cloudsdale.” They ate the rest of the meal, went to the little fillies room, had her unicorn guards switch with the pegasi, and went on their way.

* * * *

The trip to Cloudsdale was uneventful as Rainbow Dash and Selene enjoyed the right and the wind. At least till Cloudsdale appeared. Selene had her eyes wide at the side. The city was like a fanciful version of old Greek/Roman style architecture.

“That. Is. Cool. And it's all made up of clouds?" she asked. Rainbow nodded, to which Selene said “That makes it 20% cooler.” Hearing this, Rainbow scowled at Selene.

“Hey, that's my line!” Selene responded with a childish raspberry. They both stayed like that for a moment before breaking out into a slight bit of laughter. Suddenly, Selene noticed rainbows in the clouds.

“You make rainbows?” Selene asked.

“Yup, all weather in Equestria is handled by Cloudsdale or similar cities. Clouds, snowflakes, rainbows, you name they make it.”

“Tasting the the rainbow has an all new meaning here.”

“I wouldn't do that. Rainbows are spicy, even for Pinkie.”

“Noted.” The chariot flew over part of the city and Selene observed the activity below as the pegasi shopped, play, and learned. Then she saw their destination. It was the like Roman Colosseum, just made of clouds. They land on a platform just outside the Colosseum and her guards directed her to the royal suite. Inside the the place she saw more modern setting like concession stands and restrooms. The Royal Suite was basically a walled off section with clouds shaped like seats and tables. Selene picked one and sat down. “OH! This is comfy!”

“Yup it's why I have a cloud house in Ponyville. Nothing beats a cloud bed after a hard day.”

“Cloud bed? You make beds out of clouds?" Selene asked with an eager expression. After Rainbow's nod she thrust a hoof in the air. “I so want one, there's got to be a way to have one in the castle.”

“Ask the princesses, I'm sure they could figure something out.” Selene looked around and she did notice quite a few ponies nearby looking at them.

'I'm just going to act normal around them. After I do this!' She pick a nearby group staring at her and did her best Pinkie Smile and waved a hoof at them. 'Aaaaaand there's the jaw drops! Mental fist pump!' Rainbow saw that and felt off her seat laughing.

“That------was------awesome-----SELENE!” Rainbow manage to squeeze out during her laughing. She eventually calmed down and got back in her seat.

Ten minutes before the show start Selene heard the famous words.

“PEANUTS! POPCORN!” Selene looked around and saw a pegasus in the iconic garb of stadium vendors. With energetic movements Selene tried to get his attention.

“OH! Over here! Over here!” The vendor saw her and Selene swears she saw the mare visibly gulp before flying over to the suite.

“Yes m-ma'm?”

“Yes I'll have a large popcorn and----Do they have butter packets in the concourse?” The mare nodded. “Okay that's all.”

“Three bits ma'am.” The exchange was made and Selene looked over to Rainbow Dash.

“Hey Rainbow do you want something?” Selene asked.

“Nah, I'm getting fish sticks at a stand.” The vendor flew away and Selene and rainbow Dash left the suite with one of the guards protecting Selene. In minutes Selene found a butter dispenser and put ALOT on her popcorn. She then found a stand and bought a soft drink before returning to the suite to see Rainbow munching on some fish sticks with some cider nearby. Selene sat back down, took a wiff of the popcorn and squeed.

'Did I just squee again? How do I do that?' She put it under crap to deal with later and began enjoying her popcorn. Rainbow Look at her with an amused expression.

“Are you sure you aren't Pinkie Pie in a suit? You acted just like her for a bit.”

“Well maybe I'm just trying to enjoy life. Rainbow from everything Twilight researched I'm as immortal as Celestia and Luna so I could either mope as I see you and the others grow old and die or I can enjoy the time I have with you and the others. Guess which one I choose?”

“I never really thought of that. Wait is Twi and Princess Cadance like that to?” Selene slowly nodded. “So she has to watch us die one day while she is stuck here. That's harsh.”

“That's the price of immortality Rainbow. I don't think Twilight fully grasps that yet but don't worry about it my friend. Enjoy your times with each other, treasure it for it will never come again. Now the show is about to start so let's enjoy it.”

Music started and Rainbow identified it as the Wonderbolts Anthem and twelve pegasi in uniform fly overhead trailing smoke like Rainbow's trail when she flies at speed. 'That's cool.' What followed was great precision flying as a squadron or in flights of four. They sometimes got so close you could have sworn they hit each other but no one tumbled. After a half an hour of that they broke off and landed on a cloud that could be loosely be called the field except one mare who had a orange and gold mane and tail.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts, I trust you enjoyed the act?” She got cheers in response. “That's what I expect from our hometown, but the show is not over. We have plenty more to show you so sit back, relax and Fleetfoot will start our freestyle.” The mare dropped away as another mare started her routine.

This was an hour long act as each of the Wonderbolts did various tricks in the air drawing oohs and ahs. The most impressive one was during the final performance. The mare that addressed the crowd, Spitfire from how Rainbow was cheering, merged with what Selene guessed was a phoenix. THAT. WAS. AWESOME. Spitfire was hovering now with the phoenix hovering beside her.

“Now folks we have a special treat to end this show on.” Spitfire looked at the suite and on Rainbow. “Rainbow Dash get up here.” Selene looked over to Rainbow and the look on the mare's face----PRICELESS. Rainbow shot up to Spitfire. “Everypony, this is Rainbow Dash. I'm sure the name will seem familiar to all of you, native of Cloudsdale, Element of Loyalty, hero of Equestria, and----a Wonderbolt Reserve. So Rainbow Dash, you have a trick to end the show?” Spitfire had a knowing smirk when she asked that. Rainbow salute and replied.

“YES MA'AM!” Rainbow then shot up as Spitfire landed on the field. Rainbow went so high that even Selene had a hard time seeing her, but soon she saw the pegasus diving at high speed. Selene watched in expectation as a cone appeared in front of Rainbow and as she neared the top of the colosseum a bang and a shockwave of rainbow colors came out as Rainbow flew through the place and gave a Rainbow arc overhead. Selene was stunned till the wave had past and Rainbow stopped and hovered before the crowd. Once the shock had passed Selene threw her second bag of popcorn in the air and she joined the cheers of the crowd.

“Thank you all for coming and have safe trips home everypony.” Spitfire said to finish the show and the ponies began to disperse. Spitfire joined Rainbow Dash as she headed back to the suite.

“Rainbow. THAT. WAS. AWESOME!” Selene shouted with glee as Rainbow gave a big grin. Spitfire was looking closely at Selene. The alicorn noticed.

“Something of interest Spitfire?”

“Just wanted to check out the newest alicorn around. I didn't get to see Nightmare Moon when she returned so you're the closest I'm going to get. Also I wanted to meet you before judging you, that lesson was taught to me when Dash here was at the academy.”

“I appreciate that. So when do you want to meet?”

“Is right now bad?”

“Nope.” Spitfire nodded and the three of them with the guards went to the Wonderbolt office in Cloudsdale and spent a half an hour just talking. Selene and Rainbow talking what they enjoyed about the show, Spitfire sharing some secrets of her squadron. In the end Spitfire said that Selene was alright and hoped to see her around. Rainbow and Selene left the office heading for the chariot waiting for them.

“Rainbow thanks for taking me to see this. It was a lot of fun.”

“I knew you would enjoy it and it's great having somepony as excited as me about it. Well I have to get back to Ponyville so I will see you around.”

“Cya Rainbow, it would be nice to visit that town some time.”

“We should totally make that happen.” Rainbow zipped away heading for the speck in the distance.

* * * *

Days later, Selene was again reading when she heard a knock on the door.

“Come in.” Selene answered and the door opened and Celestia's head poked through.

“Say Selene did Luna teach you shape shifting yet?” Selene responded by changing in to a white alicorn with pink hair and had a cake for a cutie mark. Celestia glared at Selene and said.

“Really?” Selene just stuck her tongue out. Celestia sighed at that and then smiled. “Alrighty, pack your things. You are going to Ponyville.”

“WOHOO!” Selene proclaimed and raced to get her stuff as she reverts back to her real form. Celestia chuckled at the alicorn.

'She's like the younger Luna. I think I'll enjoy having her around or dearly wish to strangle her.' She thought as she waited.

* * * *

Selene sat in her private car as it slowed down for the stop at Ponyville. She was disguised as a black unicorn with purple hair and a cutie mark of a dark blue shield with a light blue crescent moon. Both she and Celestia thought she should be low key while in Ponyville so unless an emergency she shouldn't be in Nightmare form. The train stopped and she gather her saddle bags and left the train. It was so nice not to have guards, another reason to not be in Nightmare form. She scanned the town and it look like a nice cheerful and bright town that nothing bad happens. But now she knows that's bull crap since the place has been the location of four big events in Equestria's history. She walked along and saw ponies greet her in a friendly way. After a few minutes she found her first goal. A building with a gingerbread house motif. Already knowing what she knows of the pink pony this was the best solution to visit her first. So with a jingle of a bell she entered the bakery and just her luck she saw Pinkie behind the counter. Pinkie saw her and opened her mouth to say something but then her eyes got wide and she gasped before saying.

“Ohmygosh! Ohmygosh!” A pink blur replaced Pinkie and Selene felt a crushing hug. “OOOH Selenie! You're here, this is SO GREAT!”

“Yes Pinkie I'm here. The princesses arranged for me to stay with Twilight for the foreseeable future, though I don't think Twilight knows it's me.” The proverbial lightbulb went off in Selene's head and a evil grin got onto her face. “Say Pinkie, are you free for a prank?”

Twilight was doing some studying in her new library when the doorbell chimed. Normally she considered ignoring it but she was expecting a guest that Princess Celestia sent so with a side she saved her place and teleported to the front doors and opened them to see Pinkie Pie and another earth pony who was turquoise colored with a black mane and tail with purple eyes. What was creepy was she had the same expression and mane style as Pinkie.

“Hey Twi, meet my cousin Darkie Pie who's visiting the town for a few weeks.”

“Hi, I'm Darkie Pie. It's so cool to meet a princess and this is a great looking castle. Plenty big to host many kinds of parties. So what kind of party do you want? I have balloonsstreamersconfettinoisemakers---” Twilight drowned it all out and a startling revelation occurred to her.

'Oh Celestia WHY!? Why are their two of them? It was bad enough that the human world had one but now I have two of them right here.' Darkie past by here even hoping like Pinkie.

“Oh let's not forget my party cannon!” Twilight stopped thinking coherently at that point.

It was taking Selene so much will power not to collapse in a laughing fit at Twilight's look. Selene slowly saw Twilight's mane have strands going wild and with that last comment about the party cannon her pupils became pinpricks and her jaw was stuck open. Heck Selene noticed Spike the dragon some down the stairs, spot the bouncing Darkie, turn around, and ran back up the stairs yelling.

“Nonononononononononon!”Selene stopped hopping around and landed next to the lavender alicorn.

“Twi, you okay?” She asked in her normal voice. No response. She poked the alicorn in the side. No repsonse. Selene looked over to Pinkie. “I think I broke her?” Pinkie giggled at bit. Selene waved a hoof in front of Twilight's eyes. Still no response. “Yup Twilight.exe has stopped working. Pinkie could you close the door?”

“Yuperoonie!” When the doors were closed Selene reverted to Nightmare form and got close to Twilight's ear.

“TWILIGHT!” The alicorn jumped high into the air and would have landed hard if it wasn't for Selene's mane. Gently put down Twilight. Twilight glared at Selene.

“Selene.” With the most innocent of smiles Selene waved at Twilight.

“Hi Twilight.”

“You are a DEAD MARE!” Twilight screamed as she hopped into the air and raged shifted.

“Wow Twilight, I didn't know you were part Rapidash.”

“I'LL SHOW YOU RAPIDASH!” Twilight dived towards Selene but she managed to duck it.

“Whoa!” She got to her hooves and ran with Twilight flaming after her. Thus two hours of Selene laughing her head off as she was chased around the castle. And Selene wouldn't trade it for the world.

* * * *



Selene was disguised in her unicorn form enjoying the night. She had been in Ponyville for a week and already enjoying the place. The ponies were friendly and the antics of her friends left the place just shy of boring. Heck the only issue she saw was the lack of castle guards. She brought up that issue the day after she arrived.

“So Twi, where are the guards?” Selene asked at breakfast.

“Guards?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, you know like those around Canterlot Castle.”

“Oh, we don't have any.” Selene dropped her fork.

"What? You mean it's just you and Spike?”

“Yes for the most part. I can have some of the towns ponies come in to help with things like transferring the books from the old Royal Sisters Castle to my library here and with copies of books from the Royal Archives.”Selene facehoofed.

“Twilight do you realize how much danger you leave yourself in?” Selene sighed and continued. “Twilight, you are a princess of Equestria. From all I've gathered you are third in line since Cadance runs the Crystal Empire. You have got to take that position seriously.”

“I DO take my role seriously!' Twilight exclaimed.

“But not in the area of your own safety. Twi, I can understand when a crisis comes you and the rest of our friends are at the front line of defense but at home? No that is very careless and naïve of you my friend. While I'm enjoying not having guards right now that's mainly because I can hide my true form. You can't. I accepted the need for guards and I'm not necessary for the government so if I'm killed it won't affect the Equestrian government. You however are of the government. You can be killed by a enemy of state, a political opponent who is desperate, or even some crazy loon wanting to make a name for themselves. My world has lost many good leaders because they were assassinated and one of the best of them could have been avoided if he had guards.” Selene saw Twilight look down and she got up and put a hoof around her friend's neck. “Look I'm sorry that hurt but you are a dear friend of mine and I would hate something to happen to you if it could have been prevented. The Royal Sisters have them. Your brother and sister-in-law have them and they are no less important than you. Look I'll drop the issue for now but promise me you will at least talk with the sisters and your brother and Cadance?” Twilight nodded. “That's all I ask so let's enjoy the rest of the day.”

And enjoy it they did as with the days thereafter. She continued to enjoy the night when she felt a gust of wind behind her.

“Ouch!” She felt a prick in the back of her neck and instinctively tried to reach for it when she felt magic hit her and she felt drowsy. She tried getting up and look behind her and she was hit again with magic and knew nothing more.

Twilight entered the kitchen and was surprised she didn't see Selene there already. It's ironic that an alicorn of the night gets up before her.

'Maybe one of the others called her for something.' She had her breakfast, then she and Spike organized the library, then she took care of her royal duties. But as the day went on and she still had no sign of Selene she started getting concerned. First at the thought of another prank like Darkie Pie (she still shuddered at that prank). However after a while more Twilight was now genuinely concern. She checked with her friends and none had seen Selene since yesterday so they all started searching. As the sun began to set Twilight was in full panic mode and took a few breathing exercises to get her coherent. It was time to bring out the big guns.

“Spike, take a letter.”

Author's Note:

True Blue Cafe and Frothy Brew belong to Goldfur and used with permission.

Wonderbolts Anthem

See if you can spot other fiction salutes.