• Published 21st Jul 2014
  • 12,119 Views, 3,899 Comments

Journey with a Batpony - Gulheru



Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, wishes to bring the greatest magic of all to the lands of batponies. Will she succeed in her mission in this distant and dangerous land?

  • ...
32
 3,899
 12,119

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LV – The Moon You Know

Midnight hissed through his clenched teeth.

Conmod, Nocferratan, nye mota,” came the overly calm voice of one of the local healers, who was slowly and methodically changing the bandages on the stallion.

Twilight was observing it from the threshold of her chamber with no less worry than yesterday... well, maybe a little, but only because she had been assured by her beloved that he was going to be fine.

Still, the look of him right then wasn’t really an assurance. The poultices and medicine were already helping, as much as she could tell, but the amount of... color on the coverings that the healer was replacing was a little sickening.

Rowan Berry, also with far more calm than last night, passed another spool of bandages to her fellow fruittender. She was avoiding Twilight’s gaze and that could have been brought up, but... there was little gain in returning to what the healer had been up to lately.

Caution, however, was more than warranted.

Kirwe...

Midnight swore under his breath, as one of the bandages got caught on his coat due to what had seeped into it through the day. He then looked towards Twilight, his muzzle twitching a little as he saw the worry in her eyes.

“Not the best of days I had,” he actually admitted, but still trying to sound calm and confident, “but I am rested enough for the night’s tasks, Honored Princess. There’s no need to worry.”

He would claim that, again putting on a brave face, yes. But Twilight knew better. The bags under his eyes, the way he almost slumped as he was sitting... She could only imagine how his side must have felt and she could quite safely bet that he hadn’t really slept a wink.

Still, she wasn’t going to bring any of that perturbation up. Not with witnesses around.

“I’m sure you will perform accordingly despite the wounds, Nightguardian,” she spoke instead, in the tone of a royal and an envoy.

He nodded, acknowledging her words. And understanding her true intention.

Thankfully but a few minutes more and Midnight looked a little more presentable. As much as he could, whilst being half-wrapped up like a Hearth’s Warming Eve gift. The local healer, checking his work, did nod with enough satisfaction at his work.

He then turned to Twilight with a cordial bow.

Hwalba knaze, I was also instructed to say... Hwalbu haspadr Aldatu u Rodine Kiel wishes to treat you, as his guest, alongside the winner of the verlupte, to a small, first meal and a celebration. He wished to convey that it shall happen in one of the smaller dining chambers...”

... and not at the courtyard, underneath the horn of Radiant Glory, Twilight heard in the silence of that sentence’s end. And she didn’t think that it were only her high hopes saying that.

It was, instead, a welcome and promising gesture. And one of honor.

“Very well. Do let the Honored Lord know that I shall attend. Nightguardian?”

“Still rested enough,” Midnight replied, getting up and checking the splints of the wing.

The healer did nod deeply and left the chamber to convey the reply to the Lord, leaving the three of them to prepare.

Which didn’t take long... and it happened in silence. Rowan Berry spoke not a word whilst helping Midnight put on his armor properly.

There wasn’t even a whisper, actually. And Twilight would know. Yes, eavesdropping wasn’t her calling at all, but... she was ready much faster than her beloved. Which left her with time to spare to assure herself how things were between the members of her retinue.

And she didn’t learn a thing. Which was knowledge in itself.

It looked like Rowan Berry was really uncomfortable with the whole, current situation. Was it due to emotional entanglement, Midnight’s stalwart refusal, or her eruption of annoyance last night... or something else entirely?

Whatever it was, she was now being the complete opposite of her previous incarnation. Collected, aloof even.

Which Twilight determined was enough of a matter to keep an eye on. Especially considering the possibilities of foul play...

But not at that moment. She had other ponies to pay close attention to. And so she took her retinue and ventured out of their guest quarters. Instructed by the palace servants to join the Lord in the dining chamber on one of the upper floors.

A hall that definitely was not less ornamental than the courtyard, Twilight had to immediately admit. Furs, antlers, horns, bones, in the distinctive Fang Family style. Totemic, even. Though, thank Harmony, among the many hunting trophies there was a distinctive lack of a unicorn horn.

Blessed Fang was awaiting Twilight in an ornate seat by the oaken table, though barely visible over the assortment of fruit and drink. The healer from earlier on hadn’t been kidding, this was supposed to be a proper celebration, in some ways maybe even more elaborate than the greeting Twilight had been meant to receive.

She had seen how generous batponies could be in feasting, but this still felt like a step above. Especially considering that at least some of those pitchers simply must have housed the burning gozalke in copious amounts.

However, Twilight was more than happy to indulge in at least some the local specialties. Now that she didn’t have to issue a formal protest instead of helping herself to them.

A protest that, having left Midnight as wounded as he was, didn’t seem to be much of an issue for the host anymore.

Hwalba knaze, it is good to see you,” came the greeting her way, as Blessed Fang beckoned her forth, his voice calm, but not cold. “I was hoping you would join me. You and the Nocferratan.”

Twilight trotted around the table, only now spotting the presence of Kindlefang, sitting near the Lord. Again, on a specially lowered seat of her own, wearing a loose, but wonderful gown in the colors of the night’s sky and dark, rich honey.

“And a good night to you, Honored Lord, Lord Consort. This sort of generosity is most appreciated,” Twilight said, having in mind the entire selection of courses.

Blessed Fang only smiled that distant smile of his. “We didn’t really have a chance at dining properly last night,” he reminded her, but his voice rang with the subtle joy over the present, not some petty grudge over the past. “It would be ungrateful to Neskaza Lunee... if we were to squander another chance at life’s little joys. And now, we also wish to show our traditional appreciation to the Nightguardian.” He pointed gracefully Midnight’s way. “You have done your unit and your Family proud. Bear your wounds with fulfillment, as they mark you as the victor. And the blood you have shed honors our arena.”

It was peculiar, to hear such a fierce declarations in the stallion’s remote tone, but Midnight didn’t seem to mind. On the contrary. He saluted with care and respect, before taking his seat.

Ia grat tu, hwalbu haspadr,” he declared, voice strong and confident. “Zasitenu Kiel was a worthy opponent. His performance testifies of Rodine Kielu strength. And prowess. I know well to respect your wampiri in combat. I see I have to respect your owocellatani as well.”

Lord Blessed Fang only nodded with a smile, then gestured for Midnight to take his seat finally. Which the stallion did with additional caution, to avoid voicing his soreness.

That was quite easily spotted by Twilight... but she couldn’t, unfortunately, focus on his discomfort. She had a conversation to partake in and a new arrangement to reach with the Lord, if returning to the previous relation would be impossible.

Though it wasn’t him that began the casual talk.

Hwalba knaze, I need thank you,” Kindlefang spoke, making herself more comfortable in her spot. “What you did gave the Iug great joy! The fight was fun.”

... as casual as the topic could be, with Midnight sitting nearby like he was. Still, there was no gain to be had from reopening those wounds, so to speak. And her beloved understood that well enough, Twilight hoped.

“To be completely honest... it wasn’t my intention. I had no idea about this traditional combat before, but... I am glad you have enjoyed yourself, Lord Consort.”

The mare laughed, quite melodiously. “Always a joy to see good fight! Maybe foal of mine shall be wampir.” She put her hoof across her belly, in a truly motherly gesture, despite her youth. “Whatever talent they are given, they will make for great haspadr one night.”

There was something undeniably heartwarming about her words, and Blessed Fang, despite his usual remoteness, did smile quite broadly, looking his wife’s way.

So did Twilight, actually. “I wish you and the foal all the best, Lord Consort. It is always noble, to hope and to think of the future. And how best we can improve it, for those that come after us.”

“Thank you,” Kindlefang replied with a smile that showed the entirety of her fangs. “We all must work together, to build future. Like bees,” she added with a giggle.

Blessed Fang nodded and chuckled himself, which was a much welcome sign. “Let us not forget about their work. And that of our fruittenders. Please, hwalba knaze...”

That was the sign for commencing the feast, indeed. And Twilight was not going to ignore it. Especially since some of the local treats were definitely coated in rich and fragrant honey, as her nose had been notifying her of, prompting her stomach to almost grumble.

And this also gave Twilight an opportunity to ask.

“I see that this must be a local specialty? Honey?”

“Local, local... ours,” Kindlefang replied, having reached for a selection of berries just waiting to be dipped in the golden syrup. “My vein is one to keep bees. Though I am more about candles and making of.”

“Oh, is that right?” Twilight wanted to assure herself. All of that would explain the feel about the young mare. And also her choice of fashion. “Your part of the noble Family tends to apiaries?”

“A-pi-aries?” the Lord Consort repeated the word. “That is funny to say! We call them mehikereti. Bee gardens. Our vein tends to them and we have many.”

Blessed Fang nodded, helping himself to a succulent orange. “Our Iug, aside from the Dalli, is one of the few places where you can house those. And since the Valleys keep bees mostly with the production of food in mind, my wife’s bloodline is the foremost supplier of candles in Noctraliya. And where there’s ‘beeswax’, as I think you call it, there’s honey for our tongues and stomachs too,” he explained before sinking his teeth into his fruity victim.

That made a lot of sense. Considering the preference for low light and the country’s topography, a chandlers guild would actually have quite the reach among the populace and influence in their Mountain.

Which is why Kindlefang was the chosen bride of the Lord... Unless, of course, more than just a political marriage was considered. Like age... or, as Twilight hoped, at least some emotional connection.

She took for herself an orange too, leaving the honey for a little later. “This is also quite fascinating. I’m constantly intrigued by the differences between the Families and Mountains, Honored Lord. Every place I come to shows its own way of enriching your culture in many, characteristic ways.”

Blessed Fang had just finished happily exsanguinating his latest, orange prey, dropping the husk into a bowl to his side. “I’m certain you have been also notified that Family Fang retains a number of rather... distinct differences to the rest of the bloodlines,” he retorted, not without a smile.

“Not in-an-insulting-way notified, I need to make clear,” Twilight declared.

Maybe that was a little lie, dependent on who would have been asked. She pondered if the Fangs were to most “unorthodox” of the Families, but without visiting the other peaks, she wouldn’t be sure.

Kindlefang laughed again, having just helped herself to more berries. “Let them say what they want. About us differing. We are true to Bogine and our ways. That’s all which necessary,” she claimed, with surprising confidence in her. “We do not worry. We just are.”

That... was a powerful statement in its own right. Whether it was to be agreed with, that could be another discussion, but to hear a young mare, a filly almost, say that?

Twilight would wish to have that sort of conviction all the time.

But said nerve also presented an opportunity of asking straight away. “So, I take it there is a certain level of... I wouldn’t say ‘ostracism’, but caution from other Mountains when it comes to the Fang Family?”

Midnight, right next to her, stopped sucking on a fruit and even Rowan Berry, almost invisible in the room up to this point, looked at Twilight with a measure of caution.

However, no true tension gathered in the chamber, as Lord Blessed Fang thought for just a second, then nodded in rumination. “I believe there is a healthy level of distrust between us all the time. We, noctrali, are a cautious folk. But we care about our nation’s integrity more than about those little quarrels of the Rodini. And, while I would say it is true that our Family observes many ancient traditions that are not shared by others, so do our other kin have their rites and customs that make them distinct. In lesser extent? That would be a statement to debate upon by many aksiosani...” he claimed.

“Could I have a comparison, maybe?” Twilight pushed the topic a little, feeling that familiar and welcome tingle of curiosity in her mind. “I see the trophies, the markings, the blood bouts here... What am I to expect on the road ahead?”

“Dancing,” Kindlefang replied with another, broad smile, still not sated in her pursuit of forest fruit. “Like, beautiful dancing. Always with the Crescent Family around.”

“My wife speaks the truth,” Blessed Fang confirmed. “Aerial performances are most often seen at the Iug u Kwadr. Theirs is the pursuit of art and many of our greatest stories and plays come from the Crescents. But they have the way of conveying them also through a very characteristic form of dance. One that is definitely eye-catching and graceful. Delicate, yes, but also, ah... what would be the word here...” He pondered for a breath, a little... displeased? “I think ‘sensuous’ is what I mean, yes.”

The way he said it caused Twilight to squint even more. “As in...?”

“Daring,” the Lord clarified, now visibly upset with the thought. “And I’m not saying that as a priest of the Immaculate Moon... but simply as a noctral. There is place for what makes eyes haze and brings pleasure to the flesh, but that should be left entirely to moments of privacy between those bound in matrimony before the Goddess. And some of the routines at Iug u Kwadr have no place in public.”

... and now Twilight wondered if she hadn’t asked for too much, as she worried about a flush invading her cheeks. Her thoughts, naturally, had only one, “steamy” course to take at this description.

The stallion concluded in the meantime, in a tone of righteous confidence. “The Family Crescent keeps to tradition at the core of it, understanding the importance of temperance but... allows for a bit too much, like in this instance,”

So, the bloodline of “wimps”, as Twilight could still recall the stereotype that had been mentioned at the start of her quest, was one of artistic expression to certain, maybe uncomfortable levels... Yes, that sounded about right. And wrong.

“I... understand,” Twilight did reply, hoping that her cheeks weren’t reddened after all. “And I grasp your stance on the matter, Honored Lord.”

Blessed Fang didn’t comment on that precisely. Just nodded, as if expectant of that being the only possible case.

“And still, that is the way of the Crescents, Bogine zmiluyae. Still, I believe that Family Sunfall would object even stronger than me. And most.”

“Oh?”

“Honest? Even I don’t like their ideas,” Kindlefang chimed in, twirling a lock of hair around her hoof absentmindedly and causing the few feathers and bones she had woven into her mane to shift and turn in a dance of their own. “They don’t like jewels. Fine, more for us. But... like the morning thing. Who do they pray to there?” she asked with some umbrage.

“Morning thing?” Twilight asked, not knowing if she had heard that right.

Midnight, not far from her, leaned in, having just finished one of his fruity courses. “Does the Honored Lord Consort mean the zorpokute?”

The mare did nod and huff. “Yes. Silly.”

Now Twilight simply had to know what this tradition entailed. And, thankfully, Lord Blessed Fang was there to indulge her.

“I understand the premise behind it, but Rodine Soleeced shows their devotion towards some tenets of our faith with willful suffering of the kind that we find misplaced. Yes, there is great piety to be built and strengthened by shunning lavish possessions and focusing on gaining the favor of Neskaza Lunee... by works and deeds to enter the glory of Argentee, but how does voluntary scourging help with that?”

“Scourging?!” Twilight asked, louder than she anticipated. “You mean, like...?” She performed the leg motion she thought of, a little abashed by her reaction.

Midnight came to her aid at that moment, though his words did not help her shock.

“With a small lash, tac. I saw one of my Nocferratane sisters of Family Sunfall getting ready for it right on the brink of dawn. Sitting on the rampart, with bared torso, staring towards the horizon and waiting for the sign of the Sewira Solee...”

Was it Twilight, or did he pause for a brief moment after invoking Princess Celestia’s godly name...?

“Her legs were spread, as if for prayer, but lower. Horizontal. And I knew she wouldn’t be raising them. But rather delivering strikes to herself with that traditional whip.”

Lord Blessed Fang nodded, his eyes closed. And spoke in a profound way. “Iae daze tuyi spotnek. Ipe daze tuyi osadek. ‘I give you rest. She gives you judgment,’ says the Goddess. Soleecedi accept the just punishment of the Judging Sun in their life as well. Dealing themselves pain and then bowing down, so that the merciless rays of the searing sign beset their backs. Inform the harsh goddess, that they have already seen the wrong of what they have done and wish to atone for it outright...” He clarified, then took a deep breath. “Again... The idea is noble... but when one has Our Mother as protector, why not turn more to Her in moments of fault?”

Now that was most interesting... if a little perturbing. Self-flagellation? That wasn’t something that Twilight would find in the books she read every day. Yes, ancient religious systems, rituals of the past, cults, one could uncover wells of knowledge regarding this aspect of cultures throughout history, if only one knew where to look, but... she couldn’t recall having encountered something like that.

Unless she had thought that information a bit too much for her at the time and had promptly forgotten it.

Yes, right, that sounded just like her, letting important knowledge slide.

“So...” Twilight tried to work through this new wisdom, to better stomach it. “So it is like... immediate repayment for sins in the hopes that it can... I don’t know, shorten the Judging Sun’s arbitration after death?”

Blessed Fang did nod. “Very well grasped, Honored Princess. It is not to say that we are criticizing the desire of Rodine Soleeced to observe all aspects of our faith, far from it. They are the paragons of austerity and humble surrender before Bogine. Though one wonders how much such a behavior warrants.”

“Fascinating,” Twilight declared, not even ashamed by her scholar’s enthusiasm. “I always had an inkling that Noctraliya’s Seven Mountains each bring different aspects of your culture to the table of the Covenant, but I’m starting to grasp just how intricate this system is. Your bond is tight, framed by your kind, race, faith and history, but the additions from every Family is where the richness of your culture can be truly shown!”

Kindlefang, hearing Twilight’s joy, laughed herself and shook her head. “Knaze, please, you saw little yet. Were you to Iug u Maednoc only?”

“Other than the Sanctuary of the First Night, yes. And now this, remarkable place,” Twilight replied, gesturing towards the trophies and marking encompassing the chamber.

“You are yet to see, then. Dusks’ gardens and works of ground. Shades and their walls thick. Mists’ lairs, hidden in water, ice and fog.”

Twilight wasn’t sure about that last part, unfortunately. Yes, she would love to see whatever Noctraliya had to offer, even the domain of the, well, antagonistic Lord and clandestine Family. But knowing Azure Mist and her stance... there was almost no chance at that happening.

Of course, there was Count Mistlock and his proposal. That would give a chance for the future, and yet...

Lord Blessed Fang, having helped himself to another helpless, orange victim, did exhale rather loudly. Clearly, he took note both of his wife’s words and Twilight’s expression.

“Perhaps I shouldn’t say so much, but... were I to have a saying in the matter for all of haspadri, I would allow you, Honored Princess, to witness all we can possibly show. All that makes us who we are. The Children of the Goddess. Yes,” he accentuated, which garnered attention even more, “there might be things that cause discomfort between us. Or even make it appear like our cultures would simply have to clash, desperately... but I believe it is better to work some things out, rather than let them fester and poison us from inside. For far too long.”

Twilight would agree outright... if working things out would not mean having Midnight even more hurt than he was. But even then, she would take Blessed Fang’s words as a very good omen. He was showing that there was still will to reach a new understanding. And where there was will, there was the way to make things work. Even those things concerning ages-old wars, because how else could she interpret that last remark?

So Twilight said the one thing that seemed appropriate, though she had no idea why would she ever declare something like it.

“I’ll drink to that, Honored Lord.”

“Good,” the young stallion responded, as if he had the same thing in mind right that moment. “This is, after all, a celebration. It requires the proper drink to make it so.”

He clapped his hooves, causing servants to appear from the smaller doors to the chamber’s side, ready to pour the gozalke from its pitchers. Soon Twilight had the silver cup in her hooves, ready to join in. Well, as ready as her throat and stomach could be.

And actually, also positively pleased. Kindlefang was too going to participate, as tradition required... but her drink was minimal. The foal’s good was clearly considered, which was definitely inspiring.

“To the future,” Twilight proposed the toast.

“Indeed. And to the present, marked last night by Maednoc Wentru victory,” Blessed Fang invoked and that was definitely what she could drink to. “Hwale!

“Hwale!” she called out as well, putting the cup to her lips... and, also as tradition demanded, downing the burning drink in one go.

She closed her eyes, ready for anything... but, again, the gozalke didn’t scald her. Once more to her surprise! Yes, it had strength to it, it had that bite and citrus freshness, reinforced with percentage, but... it was pleasant.

Did she really get used to it that quickly? She wasn’t really a connoisseur of strong drinks, as far as she could definitely tell. Still, the toast was meaningful and invigorating, so... what else would one need?

A knock on the hall’s door did interrupt her thinking process.

The Lord put down his goblet, looking a little surprised, though that also might have been the gozalke causing it. He had to first exhale, and for a good while, before speaking up, when the knocking happened again.

Wena w.”

The door opened without delay and the intruder turned out to be nopony else but Sated Fang, his grand frame leaving no place for confusion. He appeared on the threshold, a little winded, looking in to quickly find the Lord’s gaze.

Hwalbu haspadr...” he spoke up, trying to even his breathing as he trotted a few steps in. “Bogine... A thousand pardons... ha... Honored Lord, I was told you were feasting but... I was also told to quickly... pass on a message.”

“Yes?”

The stallion made a face, more than little abashed. “Uhm... Actually, Honored Lord, not to you...” he said... then his gaze turned to Twilight.

She blinked, taken by surprise. “To me?” she inquired before being hit by a hopeful realization. “Wait, has a letter arrived?”

Sated Fang shook his head, which extinguished her expectations. “No, Honored Princess, I know of no letter, but...” He looked back to the Lord and then again at her, as if not certain who would be the better pony to turn to in the end. “Well, Honored Fang Shine wishes to see you. In the herame.”

“Oh?”

Twilight was immediately curious. The venerable matron wanted to speak with her? And she had sent a messenger quite so urgently?

A feeling came upon her easily. A sensation of there being a lot more to this summon than even what Sated Fang was mentioning about this intriguing setup.

Lord Blessed Fang appeared also very much interested in these peculiar circumstances. “That is quite unique. Did my Honored mother said why exactly is she requesting the presence of hwalba knaze?”

Sated Fang nodded, but looked momentarily reluctant to share his knowledge. He still did, though that hesitation was blatant.

Hwalbu haspadr, I mean... I hope I understood her right, but... she wishes to... She said that she had read the signs in blood...” he stated, glancing Midnight’s way, considering that it was mostly his gore that seeped into the arena’s ground. Or, rather, the strange, mushroom layer of it. “And that she wants to... talk about Bogine with the Honored Princess. She... claims that something is to happen with Our Mother. And that Sparkle of Twilight can understand what.”

Silence fell upon the room after those words. Thick and heavy silence, as the gathered were trying to process what had just been said.

Twilight, being the last pony mentioned, broke this stillness first.

“What.”

... though not very eloquently.

It was enough to break the petrifying spell upon the room, however. Lord Blessed Fang leaned back in his chair, pondering heavily, the edge of his hoof resting against his lips. Something about his gaze spelled worry, but whether it was spiritual or filial was hard to say.

“Are you... certain this is what hwalba Nite a Rodine Kiel said, Zasitenu Kiel?”

Sated Fang shrugged, though it was anything but dismissive. “I... hwalbu haspadr, I was as surprised as you are. I was just visiting the shrine to pray a little. Honored Shine of Family Fang was there, she beckoned me and, well... had said what I just said.”

“And she said that... wait, wait...” Twilight waved her hooves about, confusedly hoping that this would somehow organize her racing thoughts. “I am supposed to understand something about the Goddess? Provide some sort of insight?”

Tac,” the big stallion responded, nodding rather fervently, “I swear that is what I heard. Swear it by the same Goddess.”

... what was it with Twilight being summoned to so many shrines and by so many priests during this quest?!

Her brain’s frantic question would have to wait, even if it presented a rather valid point. The Great Shrine, the prophecy at the Mountain of Midnight, the prophecy that Blessed Fang had revealed to her, now this. What was even happening at this point?

Sigh. Nevertheless, after that talk which Twilight had enjoyed with the elderly mare, she wasn’t going to simply ignore those summons. As exotic as those, and the reason for them, were.

“Honored Lord...” she began, but Blessed Fang only shook his head.

“Yet another feast we shall not finish properly,” he replied, his brow furrowed. “This is most unusual, but... I trust my mother’s will. If she has something to discuss so eagerly, her desires should be observed,” he declared, rising slowly from his seat. “I hope you shall not find this in any way insulting or burdensome, Honored Princess. And that you, Nocferratan, shall not see this as lessening the achievement of your victory.”

Midnight Wind got up, mindful of the bandages, and shook his head. “Not at all, Honored Lord. I feel honored by even having a feast and a toast in my honor. But as a humble servant of Neskaza Lunee, I understand this situation twofold.”

“Wondrous to hear,” the Lord replied with relief.

Kindlefang, in the meantime, cleaned her hooves and muzzle, then spoke up. “I hoped for longer nice time, but this needs to be cleared. I will retire to my rooms.” She glanced at her husband. “You should see Honored mother.”

The haspadr agreed wordlessly, then helped his wife to her hooves with his foreleg, even before Sated Fang trotted around the table.

“Take the Lord Consort to her chambers and tend to her. I shall return shortly.”

The healer bowed and acknowledged the order, leaving Blessed Fang to venture to the shrine alongside Twilight and her retinue.

The palpable anticipation did not really allow for a discussion to bloom between anypony on the way to the herame, located in a cave neighboring the main part of the Mountain. Twilight was already anticipating the look of the place and, for once, was not entirely surprised to witness the interior.

Which didn’t meant that she wasn’t awed by it a little still.

The shrine had the same sort of importance and magnitude that she would expect from a place dedicated to the Immaculate Moon. However the “twist” that the Fang Family put onto it was actually both distinctive and fascinating. The columns and the general outline of the place was familiar to Twilight, but the decor of antlers added a certain level of spirit to the interior. Especially intriguing was how the silver discus above the altar, the sign of the Goddess’ presence, lit up by the natural light through the series of tunnels and mirrors, was pretty much braided in trophies and animal bones.

That imagery spoke to Twilight very clearly. She was in a place of hunters and warriors. Ones that wished to share their spoils with their deity. Ones that prayed for safety, so that in the midst of their tasks and challenges, among the thick branches... and strange, smiling dangers that could befall them, they would always spot the saving light of their Goddess. That sign, that totem, almost, was the picture of their very own aspects of faith. Trust and fierceness.

Twilight heard Blessed Fang’s voice between her thoughts.

“I see that the look of our herame is pleasurable to you, Honored Princess.”

“It definitely captures your Family’s spirit, Honored Lord,” she replied, taking in more of the bones and feathers. And furs in place of the regular cushions. “And yet there is this familiarity that calls to me as well.”

Blessed Fang nodded, having no issues in understanding her. “Glad to hear it. Especially after our last... meeting in a holy place like this.”

She glanced at him, his careful tone capturing her attention. He met her gaze, without shame or worry, despite his voice.

And she realized that he was very right. That exchange of gazes at the Great Shrine, while she was framed by the argent light... It was something. Something unusual and unforeseen.

And positive.

“I believe that moment did spawn a lot of good. And might spawn more still. Thank the Immaculate Moon...” Twilight spoke, lowering he head.

And the Lord followed, smiling just a little when he looked at her again. “I’ll pray to that, Honored Princess.”

She fought a giggle at him referencing the toast. And, honestly, inspiring her to offer a moment of silence and... well, maybe meditation, if not necessarily prayer. At least not from her. But a gesture of respect towards the divine, shared with the Lord, could go a long way.

However... there was no time for that. No sooner than Twilight opened her mouth to propose this sign of deference to the Goddess, did her ears register an elderly voice.

Ha, benu... You came.”

Fang Shine stood to the side of the shrine, clearly having seen them venturing in. Her robes, even in the longer shadows gathering away from the central nave, did glint with silver threads, making her appear like a sign in its own right. A loyal, venerable servant of the true, spiritual host of the shrine. And the mare’s voice carried in the hallowed space that much clearer, supported by the intangible presence of the Immaculate Moon.

“There is... no time to waste.”

Lord Blessed Fang bowed his head before his parent and in his voice there was much respect. Maybe even more now, considering the place and the circumstances, though that was hard to imagine. “Hwalba mate, I have heard of your summons. What is the matter?”

The elder didn’t reply, only beckoned for them to come closer. And Twilight followed, prompted by a quick glance from the haspadr. And a quicker one towards Midnight, accompanying her like an armored and bandaged shadow.

Fang Shine didn’t really give them a chance to make proper greetings as they approached. She simply pointed towards a corridor leading from the shrine’s interior, deeper into the mountainous rock.

“We... need to go...” she claimed, already turning to trot down the passage, offering no further explanation.

Which caused a certain amount of caution to manifest in Blessed Fang. “Mate,” he spoke up, “what is the matter? What did you see last night? This is the tunnel to—”

Tac. I am... taking the Honored Princess... right there.”

Which declaration, however enigmatic to Twilight, caused the stallion to shake his head. His eyes shone with disbelief. Which was the more worrying, coming from him.

So Twilight had to interject herself. “Where does this lead?”

She knew that shrines of the Immaculate Moon were surrounded by an entire complex belonging to the priesthood caste. And that in their proximity there were also open outlooks, used for burial rites. But something was telling her that, if the Lord had reacted like he had, things weren’t so simple.

And Fang Shine only added to that complexity.

“There lies... where effiti pray... and glimpse... into the Goddess’ plan...” the elder mare stated, her gaze boring through Twilight. “Now... I need you... to do the same.”

***

“I sincerely hope that this meager accommodation did not cause more discomfort than the absolute, unavoidable minimum,” Moonwarden indeed expressed his sincere hope.

Though it only caused Her Majesty to roll her eyes. “Please, my servant. You make it sound like Nettle Leaf’s place is not rather cozy. Which it definitely is.”

One way of putting it.

Well, Moonwarden wasn’t going to contest those words, even if he had his reservations. After all, a royal alicorn deserved luxuries just by virtue of being one and the house, while of passable standard, was really not providing enough.

Nettlie, however, reacted with far more relief and joy than him at the Princess’ declaration.

“Oh, thank you, Your Majesty... I know it isn’t much, but... I like it here as it is. And I hope it serves everypony well,” she wished with an abashed smile.

“Well, you know, I’m a big city big colt,” Toolbox admitted, winking her way and causing a deepening blush, “but I find the lack of constant racket outside the window quite relaxing, actually. The quiet is... maybe a little unsettling at first, but you get used to it.”

Moonwarden would admit that the stallion had something of a point. There was the false silence of a city at night and then there was a strange stillness of the countryside.

Speaking of the surroundings, the four of them were at the moment enjoying a little meal in the darkened interior of Nettle Leaf’s rented house. Celebrating the start of the night in their own, semi-clandestine way. Nettlie made sure to prepare some light, but quite satisfying food. And, once more, her herbal tea recipes were proving absolutely astonishing. With the flavors and the warmth spreading through everypony, doing their best to lift spirits and sharpen minds.

Even Moonwarden himself felt like taking this moment to actually relax and enjoy a cup of the delicious, encouraging brew.

The lack of poison in it was also a huge plus.

He took another sip, savoring the delicate hint of black currant and put the cup down. For the moment, as he doubted he would leave even a drop of tea alone before leaving.

“I am sure a break from the bustling metropolises of Equestria is a charming change, or some would definitely mark it as such. Alas, tonight is not going to be spent only on enjoying the idyllic hovel at the edge of civilization...” he reminded everypony. Even his lady.

Especially his lady. Who had abandoned her disguise over the day’s rest and whose gaze rested on the wooden table, past her teacup. Said stare definitely showed her anxiety and the drink’s calming influence pitted against each other. And it was hard to say what was winning currently.

Step by step.

“However, before any of the business of tonight, let us address the nights prior,” Moonwarden spoke up, conjoining his hooves on the table and turning Nettlie’s way. “I take it from the, well, lack of a corpse with at least a dozen, poison-coated needles in it, that the place has remained untouched ever since you left it the last time?”

“One needle would be enough...” the mare replied sheepishly, pushing her ever-undisciplined glasses up her muzzle, right underneath her juniper fringe. “I... didn’t actually leave anything lethal like that, but... it seems things are fine. The owner saw nothing, heard nothing. There are no signs of forced entry, all locks are in perfect condition and, uhm... well, the leaves and pollen lines I’ve left are exactly the same. Down to the markings I did in them, so... looks fine.”

Her Majesty leaned back a little, her expression... unamused. “My servant, since when do tenants need so many security measures for their houses? Have you made our poor Nettlie borderline paranoid?”

Toolbox snorted quite audibly into his cup and Nettle Leaf turned a little redder still, as much as her straw yellow coating was allowing her to.

Moonwarden, for his part, only cocked an eyebrow. “Tenants have to be cautious ever since the amount of concoctions in their house reached the quantity enough to poison all of Canterlot twice, I imagine.”

“Thrice... actually, maybe fourfold now that I think about it,” Nettlie corrected him, giving a glance towards where she kept her stockpiles and biting her lip.

“Case in point. There is little chance that our local... competitors have figured out that she is our eyes and ears and entrepreneur of things baneful, but caution does pay. Besides, it is still training for any possible, future assignments.”

The Princess looked unconvinced still, but at least Nettlie decided to nod and support that argument herself.

“I-I mean, I would like to keep my experiments safe myself, Your Majesty... Master Moonwarden simply suggested to me a couple of, well... innovative solutions to do so.”

“Which turned out unnecessary right now,” Moonwarden did add, “but might be helpful still. However, we can safely bet I believe, that our current base of small-scale operations is secure. The mayor and his secretary also told me all they have seen lately and it does not appear like anything highly suspicious was happening around the place.”

Toolbox clicked with his tongue, leaning in a little. “And what about ‘lowly’ suspicious, boss?”

“As a stallion with friends in low places you will be reassured to learn that I have also inquired about that. And it seems that things are, currently, quiet,” Moonwarden replied, looking back at the Princess that very moment. “Whatever moves are being done right now, they are not involving the village yet. The topic is still on the table, but it is not pressing.”

“Perhaps,” the alicorn spoke with perturbation in her voice. In, truly, worrying amounts. “I take it that you have... warned the town hall of the possible scenarios still, my servant?”

Moonwarden checked his monocle, which caused a flicker of light to pass through the many, intricate facets of the glass. Nothing wrong with a little theatricality to add meaning to the sentence.

“Thoroughly. They will remember what to do if or when the time is right,” he assured, picking up the cup.

Truth be told... Nettlie’s brew was also what he needed right there and then. There was a certain, numbing coldness at the back of his head. At least, the previously gained ground made... working with the mayor a lot less exhausting.

Moonwarden took a sip and exhaled, happy he could hide any discomfort well enough from the rest of the room. “But! Active countermeasures are always more effective. As I have learned, nightly patrols are still happening regularly. And, as fortune would have it, tonight will give us a chance to have a productive chat, in a couple of hours.”

He didn’t plan on being more precise. Just on the off chance of the impossible scenario of somepony eavesdropping on them after all. Still, the spark in Her Majesty’s eyes told him enough in response. He would have to give her a bit more reassurance before the... visitation.

He even had a place in mind. It was now about heading there, waiting for the right moment and, well, summoning a Goddess. To stand before a faithful supplicant in the flesh and gain their unquestioning loyalty.

Sounded easy enough, right?

“Sir,” Nettlie’s voice caught Moonwarden’s attention, “do you... need us for anything specific tonight, then?”

“Well, I was considering having Toolbox around us, for safety... but I am now thinking against it. However, he can still help about, if you have any work to do or supplies to transport back to Canterlot after we are done.”

The earth stallion nodded, hardly upset about spending more time with his partner. “If you think so, boss. I’d rather bunk off giving somepony a fierce thrashing, true, but if it’s necessary, you know I can make a haymes.”

“We never know, that might be necessary at some point,” Moonwarden admitted, taking another sip. “Last time I was here I saw one of the locals in the... more typical state of being—”

“Which means?” the Princess inquired, a bit uncertain.

“Fluthered,” Toolbox replied.

“Sloshed,” Moonwarden admitted.

“Drunk,” Nettlie finally translated.

“Oh.”

“Yes, well, as I was saying... I witnessed how peacekeeping works around the place. I would rather rely on stealth than having an inebriated idiot spot something or somepony ‘interesting’ and cause a stir. Though I am certain your expertise would make short work of any nuisances, Toolbox, I prefer to avoid such a scenario altogether.”

The earth stallion but shrugged and Nettle Leaf caught her glasses, again trying to slide off her muzzle. She nodded.

“Alright, sir. Perhaps we can instead work on a recipe or two that require an ounce of help. It’s good to have an assistant that’s patient and precise.”

“Surprises meself,” the earth stallion said, grinning. “But I have a good and cute supervisor so maybe there’s the trick.”

Nettlie changed color once more, which caused a slight giggle from Her Majesty.

A sweet sound, if short.

Moonwarden nodded. “Very well. We will not take longer than necessary. Take your time making whatever iced arsenic cake you have in mind.”

“Thought of it once, but it’s hard to delay the poison’s effect in the recipes which I’ve encountered...” Nettle Leaf replied, rubbing her chin. “If they have a food tester, he turns green on the muzzle in a matter of minutes...”

“Had I heard that from anypony else...” Moonwarden commented, glad that alongside the talent for lacing food and drink with unspeakable mixtures came Nettlie’s healing skills and undeniable loyalty. “You, foals, have fun with hemlock, mandrake root and sugar...”

“No.”

“Vitriol, then?” Toolbox suggested, which made the mare chuckle behind her hoof as if that was the funniest joke ever.

“... anyway,” Moonwarden continued, almost laughing himself at this tomfoolery, “and we will make sure we can stop any more problematic and less subtle threats to the place in the meantime.”

He was hoping these brief moments of levity, even about the rather... niche topics would help Her Majesty. However, another glance her way was enough to prove that underneath the surface amusement boiled an entire sea of fear.

Well, Moonwarden would have to step up his game.

After finishing the tea and preparing the last few things, Her Majesty lead the way out of the house, having again assumed her illusionary persona. For a moment. At least until the village proper would give way to the sprawling woodland and a familiar, to some at least, pathway leading to the Nightguard tower would be traveled on.

Moonwarden recalled a nice location, secluded enough, where he once tried to test Sunfall Ordain’s willpower. For, he could not deny, there was a measure of satisfaction from possible comeuppance building up in him. The mare might have escaped the clutches of his silver magic, aiming to bind her will... but how could she possibly resist the presence of her own deity, capturing her very soul?

Well... if only said deity were up to the task.

Moonwarden was keeping a very close eye at his lady. Her trotting was measured at first, but the closer they were to their goal, the more frantic it became. She was constantly switching paces at that point. From calm and collected to trampling down whatever wayward pebbles were in her way.

The latter was actually quite pleasing in its own right, but the pendulum of emotional states was swinging wild. Moonwarden had to address it. Thankfully, he wasn’t expecting anypony on this trail or flying above it for at least a while longer.

“Abandon the guise and tell me of your nerves, my lady...” he whispered. Not bothering to ask about the presence of those in the first place. Some matters were just blatantly obvious.

The Princess stopped dead in her tracks in response. Almost as if she had stumbled right into a tree. Oh, a barrier was there, Moonwarden could tell, but one created by her mind, not the flora all around.

“I... No, it’s fine. It’s alright. I’m just... building confidence. Step by step,” she explained, shedding her false look.

“Well, I am afraid that such a mental construction work will need a firmer mortar, for whatever is being built keeps crumbling every... seventh step or so,” Moonwarden replied, standing by her side, now that she was the Lady of the Night once more. Not against her, but with her. Fighting her fear. “You must find your centre, my lady. Concentrate. You can do it, I assure you. Now, you simply need to assure yourself.”

“Easy for you to say...” she quipped back, in a way that could not be any less anxious. But got only a smirk in return, without any offence caused.

“Not really easy, my lady,” Moonwarden assured. Checking his vest, then his mane, then his monocle. All at a practiced pace, hiding any and all emotion. “The popularly-deemed irritating confidence and pride I am radiating nowadays all around fair Canterlot, making stallions grit their teeth and mares stare behind them in interest, did come to me only through extensive practice to combat my own insecurities.”

He meant what he said... maybe exaggerating only a little, for the sake of the point. And, thankfully, managed to elicit a little bit of a giggle from the Princess due to his antics.

Well, maybe something akin to a strangled exhale than a true chuckle, but he would take what he could.

The alicorn inhaled through the clenched throat. “I... don’t really have a lifetime at the moment to achieve your level of mastery...” she commented and quite sarcastically. Trying to control and steady her breathing as much as she could. Without much progress.

Come now, verily?

“No, my lady, not a lifetime. Time marches on mercilessly and circumstances dictate you get your life and your confidence back right tonight.”

Moonwarden took a step away, to have a better look at her. Not for his own joy, though normally he would feel that little touch of it. But to take in her state and try to formulate the best tactic to boost her confidence in the crucial moment.

“Yes. We need enough of you in you... to deal with one mare with family issues. Surely that is an achievable target to dominate and best.”

“Couldn’t you...?”

The Princess tried to ask something.

Or did she? Her gaze jumping his way and then immediately in the opposite direction. Had she just let something slip? These few words and that one, small glance...

She shuddered. That this blunder was more than enough to discern what had crossed her mind there and then.

But what?

Oh. Oh, yes.

Moonwarden had every ounce of confidence that he knew exactly what sort of a terrible suggestion had invaded her brain. One that certainly caused him to... smile.

“Your Majesty, you have not just asked your loyal, but dreadful, manipulative and opportunistic servant... to use his craft on one of your devout followers. Or have you?”

“I... I haven’t,” she spoke, but far from doing it adamantly. “Because I realized it was a terrible idea as I was formulating the question...”

She was being honest. Good.

We could be too.

That was true. Honest in letting her immediately know that such a suggestion would achieve an absolute and utter nil, due to the batponies’ ridiculous immunity to mental magic. Moonwarden hadn’t really shared that piece of information with his lady, he realized. But... perhaps omitting it for a moment longer would bear sweeter fruit yet.

His smile persisted... but changed. Shifted, as he trotted right before her, seeking her gaze. Unsuccessfully. And yet it would just add to the... strength of the next few moments.

“But, my lady... why would you ordering me that be so terrible?” Moonwarden asked.

Making sure his tone had taken on a little bit of a darker quality. Strangely, that always made it a bit smoother altogether. Well, nothing helped in such vile matters more like an inciting, silken timbre.

“You have the right to ask, to require such actions from me. All of my skills are at your disposal. I am at your very disposal. Your one word would be enough for me to unleash my art upon the mare and bind her. Not to my will. But to yours.”

Something shimmered in her majesty’s eyes. Something dark and familiar. Something that made Moonwarden bite the side of his tongue.

Yes. This was a dance with the darkness. And if he were to misstep...

But he continued. Adding a small stroll to his performance. To measure it and to see if his waltzing partner was, indeed, of the malefic persuasion after all.

“You fear this meeting still. You could banish the fear. Alongside the mare’s will... as far as she even would have one when met with her deity. But say one word and I can bring her to your very hooves. Make her see nothing in the World but you. The perfect you, the immaculate you...”

Moonwarden was circling the Princess at that point. Like a predator, toying with its victim. A lot about that comparison... was unpleasant. Especially to his heart. But also, reason and self-preservation. Especially since, catching glimpses of the Princess’ stare, locked onto something that he couldn’t possibly perceive... he was not sure if he was the true beast of prey in this exchange. Or was the yet greater threat ready to pounce from the shades of the alicorn’s past and devour both him and more. Much more.

So Moonwarden was watching the reactions to his words and whispers with great care. All that he could perceive. Every shiver, every shudder, every blink and every lump in the throat which needed to be swallowed.

He was ready to back off at any moment, if things were to suddenly escalate beyond his control. But within its confines, he was going to push a little more still. He needed to.

“It is so simple, no? You know the power I speak of. You know it exactly, my lady. And there would be no more doubt. No more worry... Only the certainty of dominance. The pure confidence of influence and authority upon this mare. And, who knows? Soon... and once more, all of your devoted servants would again bow to you, bound to your every word and whim, if that would only be your desire. I could give you that. I am the extension of your divine will. So do it. Exercise it through me tonight. I need but one word... One... small... word...”

And, oh, was Her Majesty contemplating saying it.

Delicious...

Yes... Yes, indeed.

There was no denial, it was mouthwatering for Moonwarden. To see the Princess taking into consideration such a devious scenario. Such a... travesty, for the greater good. To know that she was entertaining the ages-old philosophy that the end justified all the means. It showed once more that she was not a closed-minded, naïve paragon of virtue.

And she was... beautiful that way...

The Moon was supposed to shine down during the night, offer respite of the light much more delicate than that of the Sun, guiding the path gently in the hours of gloom. And the Princess, the Lady of the Night, was oft doing so, being the manifestation of that idea. But there was so much more to the silver sign and the alicorn which embodied it than just the soothing brightness.

A shadow which had nothing to do with the machinations of the Nightmare. Her Majesty’s tenebrosity was not a sliver of that dark power. It was her stoic sovereignty. Her dour ascendancy. Her pure will, made manifest in a way that surged and surpassed the overused boundaries of duality, of mere good and evil.

Moonwarden stood before his wondrous Princess again, having drawn a circle around her with his grey steps. And he was looking directly at her. Seeing those eyes, still staring into the distance, with dark markings appearing and disappearing in them, like flickers of a black flame. Whether those specks of the abyss were real or but his imagination and constant readiness deceiving him.

He almost hoped it was that corrupting force manifesting for those split seconds.

The Nightmare, waiting for the alicorn to finally inhale properly, raise her voice, give him the order. Tell him to indulge in his craft and through it serve her will and ease the worry. Surely such a dark force would wish so. To usurp the Princess’ will with its own influence and lead her down the dark path. Once again.

But the pony before him was not a frightened, insecure filly in the shadow of her big sister, like all those centuries ago.

This was Moonwarden’s lady. And she was better than this. All of this.

He was sure of it. He would not...

He would not cherish her that much otherwise.

Moonwarden smirked in his mind at all those racing thoughts. And at the concept of the dark, otherworldly presence fuming and spitting venom at him, when Her Majesty finally looked back at him and spoke up.

Her voice clear, firm, majestic.

“No.”

Was there a sweeter dismissal to be heard that moment?

He met her gaze, her real gaze. That endless expanse of the cosmos staring right at him, again pulling him in with force that was as mysterious as clear to his heart.

“Get thee behind me,” she additionally declared.

And a smile invaded her lips.

Leaving Moonwarden with no choice but to laugh. Not too loudly, but not without a note of victory. He took off his monocle and grabbed the bridge of his muzzle to try and concentrate again, faced with such a wondrous statement.

“Bravo, my lady. Now that is the confidence I wish to hear always,” he praised her, taking in her equally proud and exasperated expression.

“You are playing with fire, my servant,” she told him, shaking her head, as if in utter disbelief over what had just transpired. “You would dare to tempt me? You think I have not heard those sentences before? All those ideas, whispered to me in mine own, yet sinister tone?”

“I hoped that you have. And knew that you have learnt not to heed them. Even when they are offered in a timbre as irresistible as mine,” he replied, giving her a smile that had definitely a lot of content in it. For her remarkable accomplishment and achieving the poise that he hoped she could ultimately reach for. “Or are you telling me, my lady, that I was not bewitching enough for you to consider my words?”

“That I will not claim,” she revealed, her face scrunching for just a moment, but there was no shame in such admittance. “Your talent for being a provocateur is blatant... as troubling as confirming it once more is.” She gave him an unimpressed look. “And your grin is not making me feel joyous that I am feeding your ego.”

Moonwarden wiped the expression from his muzzle, but it could not stop the welcome indulgence to his self-pride, indeed. “Just a little, midnight snack, nothing wrong with it.”

“Apparently so,” the Princess judged, taking a step forth. She inhaled deeply, a dead serious look in her enchanting eyes. “Tell me, Moonwarden... would you be ready to do just that? Throw a whole nation at my hooves, if only I would request that?”

He... paused for a second.

Yes, there was the matter of their resistance to his craft, but that did not mean he couldn’t use his other talents to work for this goal. More importantly, however... they had shared a similar conversation, actually. A long, long time ago.

She had worn the same stare that night.

“Do you recall, my lady...” he answered, a little bit of a wistful smile manifesting on his lips, “a certain talk? Before the mission which had me threaten a fellow Princess, spur her goody-goody beloved and return with a set of rather deep marks across my back?”

A shade crossed the alicorn’s face. “I do.”

“Do you remember what you have asked me to do?” Moonwarden inquired...

... a bit worried. Not about the Princess’ expression. She felt bad about his injuries, but he knew she wouldn’t think that he was bringing the situation up just to make her feel guilty about the scars.

No. He was concerned about just how affectionate that question sounded as it came out of his mouth.

As if the two of them were sharing a little, intimate secret, known only to the two of them.

Which, at that time... was exactly that.

Her Majesty smiled. Even laughed briefly, the sound of which laughter making Moonwarden’s heart beat twice as fast.

“A long talk. During which... I asked whether you would be ready to betray Equestria for me.”

Her own tone proving that she was no less fond of the moment, he realized.

He shrugged with a smirk and made sure his monocle rested comfortably on his muzzle. Just like back then.

... stop.

“I would say subjugating a nation is of similar complexity and gravity, so... the answer would, quite honestly, be the same as that night... ‘For you?’ ” he accentuated.

Softly, almost.

Stop.

The Princess’ eyes, locked onto his own, shone. A spark that manifested in them that time could banish any darkness. For a breath, the alicorn seemed lost in the memory... and in the present?

Stop!

Moonwarden almost grimaced. Himself was right and he had to concur. As... enticing as this exchange was, it was creeping into a truly dangerous territory. And Her Majesty couldn’t be distracted that night... or any other night.

Especially not by emotions that had no right to be there in the first place.

So he spoke. His voice quickly returning to the stoic, if not frigid, quality. “But, the point is moot. You have chosen another path, my lady. Time to walk down it. Metaphorically, as I believe the place we are currently at shall suffice.”

The Princess looked momentarily confused, but soon regained her composure. “Yes. You are right, of course.” She took a deep breath. “The right path. The harder, but right path.”

Moonwarden could have sworn she was a little... out of it, for some reason, but such an imperfect state would have to suffice. Since, despite keeping an eye on her, he did take note of a winged shape. It had just appeared in the sky, from the Nightguard’s tower direction and was making its way towards them.

He immediately looked the other way, expecting soon to spot another, flying pony, coming from the direction of the town.

Changing of the Nightguard. Aerial, along the pathway leading to the outpost. Just like Stamp Duty and Quill Driver had claimed.

“Speaking of right paths, we are crossing somepony’s soon,” Moonwarden declared, his voice hushed. His eyes again found Her Majesty’s gaze. “Your divine return is nigh, my lady. You have the floor now,” he informed. A bit theatrically, but with clear intent.

The Princess nodded, in as much readiness as it had been invoked just then. She locked her gaze with his once more, making sure he could realize the level of her gratitude.

An unnecessary gesture... but welcome nonetheless.

Then the alicorn took a step back and her horn flared with magic for a brief moment. The long shadows of the forest came alive, enveloping her swiftly in a black shroud. Moonwarden blinked and that was enough to have his lady gone from his sight, having proficiently slipped into the gloom.

A neat trick.

Indeed. And whilst Her Majesty was preparing in the dark, to make a, hopefully, grand and godly entrance, he had to step into the limelight first. And get the unknowing participant of this divine play to partake in it first.

Speaking of limelight...

Moonwarden backed a bit underneath one of the wide branches, not to be spotted too quickly. Thankfully, even through the thick foliage, he could track the two figures against the starlit sky. They saluted one another, exchanging a few words that he couldn’t quite make out. Thankfully for him, one pony not only did make a shorter gesture, showing the superior rank, but was brandishing a neat, officer’s cape.

Captain Sunfall Ordain, right on schedule.

She would soon be flying further, in the village’s direction, to assume her nightly duties for the good ponies of Equestria, while her subordinate had already departed the tower’s way. And whilst Moonwarden could not summon the mare before him with a simple, mentalist spell... well, at least he had his “pretty light show” still.

He could hope for her having a true, warrior’s perception and alertness. So a little spark on the pathway below, conjured rapidly, did grab her attention almost immediately. Enough for her to pause her flight and assume a position of readiness in the dark sky. Ready to dive down to check who could have caused such an arcane flicker.

Who, indeed?

Moonwarden walked onto the pathway. Elaborately and without pretending to be anypony else. He glanced up, right at the mare. The flash of his monocle and his smile forming the summons.

... and the batpony immediately swooped down. Causing a little shudder to rattle his jaw. Hopefully she wasn’t diving in an attack, for Moonwarden doubted he could even take a step back before being met with the mare’s claws or fangs or anything else sharp and dangerous on her.

Something to remember.

He decided to, at least, take some initiative. Preemptively. Just in case.

“Hail, Captain!” he shouted, raising his hoof, adding his voice to the list of things familiar to Sunfall Ordain.

She slowed down a bit, yet still landed with force, just a little way ahead. With a puff of dust and dried leaves, awakened across the pathway due to the flap of her leathery wings.

Ab Bogine!” she invoked, giving him an inquisitive look... and not knowing even a little how appropriate her call was. Yet. “Luneestraz? I mean – Moonwarden? How come, what are you doing here? And in the middle of the night!”

There was a positively surprised note in her voice, but also, which couldn’t be well-hidden, a healthy amount of suspicion.

Cute. And prudent, considering everything.

“A stroll in the Goddess’ light is not the most exotic of pastimes now, is it?” he asked rhetorically, giving the mare a little, courteous bow. “Especially for the likes of us. It is good to meet you again, Sunfall Ordain.”

She was still giving him that stare from underneath her mane of rust and auburn hues. “You as well, without a doubt, but I thought you returned to Canterlot.”

“I did. Now I am again in this lovely forest,” Moonwarden replied with a smirk. “When duty calls, one can find themselves in the most remote of places and circumstances. And, in all seriousness, it was duty that brought me here again.”

“Duty?” Sunfall Ordain asked, checking a strap of her cloak, almost absentmindedly.

Though he doubted being presentable was what the captain was truly going for. It looked more like she was subconsciously checking her gear. Maybe seeing if her steel claws were at the ready.

... was there a direct threat here as well, for Moonwarden?

Careful.

“Yes, as it happens,” he addressed her short question. “Surprised me too, to be fair. However, when being in the service of the Goddess, we do not question. We act.”

His conviction came rather naturally and found some purchase in the mare too. Alongside a small flicker passing through her eyes.

Worry? Unease?

To bid vere. But you still haven’t told me why you are in Proznyi Umberi. Is something the matter? The maps again?”

Moonwarden shook his head automatically. Though... the answer might as well have been affirmative. However, explaining that he was present to counteract the possibility of a sudden invasion, possibly lead by exactly the likes of Sunfall Ordain, well... that would make the situation rather sour.

And it was supposed to be sweet and unearthly, right?

“No, no, I am not here on, shall we say, administrative duty,” he clarified, staring right into the mare’s eyes. To count whether he was on a timer of any sort. “This time my task is a little more... esoteric? I think that would be the correct term here.”

“I’m... not sure if I understand the word,” the mare admitted, tilting her head a little and frowning. “But, you could explain whatever you mean by that on the way to the town, nye? I’ll gladly provide you with any assistance that you might need, but I have to take over the patrol route tonight.”

And keep an eye out on you?

Moonwarden would grimace, since that felt like a properly paranoid thought. Yes, the batpony was being cautious and yet, yes, she genuinely seemed eager to grant him the possible assistance.

Good. The Goddess wanted to come to the well-meaning, right?

“That is very proper of you, Sunfall Ordain, praiseworthy diligence. And I thank you for your offer,” he claimed, with another small bow. “However, I believe that your duties to other ponies shall have to wait a moment. For tonight, I am here as... a messenger. Or a herald. One that comes before Her, if I can allow myself to sound a little... pompous. Though I think it is warranted.”

The mare blinked. “You... do not seem sick of gozalke, but you have lost me completely, Moonwarden.”

He really grimaced this time. “Well, I seldom do something like this, forgive me for my lack of experience. And I hope the Goddess forgives me too...”

He then took a step back and stared up for a brief moment. Right at the Moon’s very sign, hanging royally high above. He then bent his knees, in reverence and readiness. Hoping such a deep and profound obeisance would please Her Majesty, the Immaculate Moon...

... and hoping it would count for a good enough of a sign for his lady to make her appearance.

“... what are you—”

That was as much as Sunfall Ordain managed to utter.

The pathway around them was suddenly illuminated by a wide circle of light. Strong and pale, but not blinding. Soothing, rather. Falling down upon the miserable ground like a true blessing, bringing into mind security and a truly motherly care.

At least for Moonwarden. For when he stared up after a few seconds of basking in this otherworldly glory, he first took note of Sunfall Ordain. Her eyes were bulging and her knees shaking, as she witnessed the sight above her in utter and hard to describe terror.

Fear of the divine was a potent force. However at that sight, even a faithless stallion like Moonwarden felt himself shaken to the core. Though due to another form of... devotion towards the pony above.

Her Majesty.

Truly. She appeared, in full splendor of the Moon’s light. Wreathed in its halo like a holy maiden of old, Trottinghamian tales. Descending slowly and on majestically spread wings, which seemed to have grown and expanded to envelop a portion of the sky with them. And though the Princess’ regalia were more than familiar to Moonwarden, they took on a quality he could not well remember ever having witnessed. Like onyx and cosmos. Like starlight and diamond. They shone and yet dragged light inward simultaneously.

And the Princess’ very aspect...

Her coat shined, as if she was not a pony of flesh and blood, but chiseled out of dark, rich marble. Her mane and her tail spread about her, enveloping her in a veil, dancing around like a nebula of untold proportions, with constellations and unspeakable hues of the endless universe twisting and turning, on and on.

The alicorn’s expression was a picture of calmness and kindness. A little distant, but warm and compassionate, as she descended down to mingle with her loyal and lowly followers.

The incarnate Goddess, made manifest.

Was it but a cleverly-weaved illusion by his lady, or the whole, unique situation playing tricks on Moonwarden’s eyes... what he felt in his heart at this sight, this renewed devotion... it was definitely real.

And divine.

PreviousChapters Next