• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 2,745 Views, 50 Comments

Equivalent Exchange - Thebravenorse



What happens when Spike stumbles upon a book telling him about an ancient power called Alchemy? That when used for good, can create. But when used for evil, can destroy. {A Fullmetal Alchemist crossover}

  • ...
5
 50
 2,745

Preface: Hidden Power

Equivalent Exchange
Preface:
Hidden Power

“Ponydom cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange."

- The book of Equivalent Exchange.


Twilight had gone to Canterlot for the weekend on royal princess training. She was worried about leaving Spike all by himself, but the teenage drake had convinced her that he, and the library, would be fine alone. She left just the day before, the day before it all began.

And that, my dear reader, is where our story beings. With Spike dusting an older bookshelf in the back of the library. A task that he had done many a time.

“Its amazing how *Cough* I dust these books everyday, and yet, they always get dusty the next day. Not that I'm complaining or anything.” He rolled his eyes.

Sarcasm had become a norm for Spikes personalty during his teenage years. For a teenage pony, sarcasm was expected. Same with Spike. But being a dragon, everything seemed to double in extremity. But Twilight always made sure that Spike didn't over do it.

After dusting the books. Spike used his strength to pull the bookshelf out. Now he was able to clean behind said bookshelf.

“Buck! I just cleaned behind this thing yesterday.” Spike covered his nose with a claw. The dust was starting to get to him. But on another note, you are probably wondering what Spike looks like as a teenager.

Well about two years ago. When Spike had turned fourteen. He hit a growth spurt. His body grew larger, just over the size of the average stallion. He was even larger when on two legs. But being heaver Spike now walked on all fours. His wings also grew in. They were small at first, but over the next two years they grew to his size. Though he wasn't as fast as Rainbow Dash, Spike still could get up to great speeds.

Spike started off the job by dusting the back of the bookshelf. Once done, Spike continued on the wall.

“How much *cough* dust *cough* is behind here!” Spikes nose started to tickle. He could feel a sneeze coming on, but before he could cover his nose, he sneezed a green ball of flame right at the wall!

“Oh buck!” Spike ran to the bathroom, got a bucket of water and returned to the wall, pouring all the water on the fire it was extinguished. He sighed in relief. “That.. That was a close one."

But something caught the dragon's eye. Right where the fire was put out, there was a hole the in the wall. At first glance anyone would think that it was made by the fire. But, upon closer inspection, Spike saw what appeared to be a small room.

“What in the name of-” His voice caught dead in his throat. When Spike reached his claw into the hole he felt a book like object.

Pulling it out Spike realized that it, was in fact, a book.

The book was old. Very old. And also huge. Not in size, but in pages. It was black. And the title of the black book was named: Equivalent Exchange. It had no author.

Another thing that caught Spikes eye was a metal chain around it. Making an X like cross that Spike guessed was used for keeping ponies out. Unfortunately for the book, Spike was no pony.

Using his sharp claws, Spike cut off the chain in one fast swipe. The only thing keeping Spike away from reading the old book was now gone.

“Now lets see what your all about.” Spike opened to the first page. “Huh. Chapter one: What is Alchemy?”.

'Alchemy? Now where have I heard that word before?' Spike thought with a claw taping his chin. 'Odd, but, whatever'.

“Alchemy is not only a power, but an art as well." Spike read. "The proper application of this craft requires not only a full understanding of chemistry and ancient alchemical theory, but also a sort of natural talent towards recognizing and manipulating the physical objects with energy, which require uncommon levels of intelligence and aptitude. Those few remarkable individuals capable of studying and practicing alchemy are known as 'Alchemists'."

'Chemistry...', Spike thought. 'Why, I can do that! All those years living with Twilight, and her crazy experiments might pay off after all!'

A smiled appeared on his face.

'But, its also said that you need to know ancient alchemical theory. And, to have also a natural talent towards recognizing and manipulating objects with energy. But I have no clue what any of that means. Better keep reading on...'

A few hours pasted and Spike quickly delved deeper into what the book had to say. It told him that there was an invisible energy in the world and that, with Alchemy, can be manipulated into anything.

But to do so, you need to used the first law of Equivalent Exchange.

“Ponykind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange” The book had told him.

After a day of reading. Spike was hooked onto what the book had to say: Alchemy is almost like magic. But go's much deeper into your soul. Everything in the world is bound to the law of Equivalent Exchange. Anything can be changed, fixed, broken, or created with this law. But remember, you can not create something without first giving something of equal value in return.

Spike closed the book. “Well...” Spike didn't know what to say.

If all this was true than that meant that there was an ancient power in this world, that only a few thousand or more could do, called Alchemy. And that it was far more powerful than any kind of magic use today.

“Man. Twilight is going to be so pissed!” Spike laughed.

Then Spike looked at the clock. “Wow.. 1:30am. I spent the whole day reading. I'd better stop for now before I start acting like Twilight.” He laughed again but soon turned his attention to the book before his claws. “I wonder...” He whispered.

The book had only told him so much so far. He had stopped on chapter one, the next chapter would tell him about how to use Alchemy. But then he remembered that only a certain few were capable of practicing it. He wondered if he was one of those few...

Putting his claws to the wooden floor he concentrated hard. He didn't even know If this was how you gone about doing Alchemy. He had not gotten that far in the book yet. But something inside him said that this was the way to do it. So he listened.

At first nothing happened. But then a small red spark shot out from his claws.

“Ahhh!” Spike screamed and fell backwards.

It didn't hurt, but just shocked the drake. Siting back up. Spike thought that nothing had happened. But a closer look as the smoke cleared made him think differently.

There! Right were he had placed his claws and where the red bolt of lighting had sparked. The wood to the floor had changed. Now, a little miniature wooden dragon was in its place. It looked like a child's toy.

Spike picked up the wooden toy. “Huh...” was all he said.

It was a far cry from the kind of Alchemy he would do in the future. But it was a start....

Author's Note:

Better be careful Spike. Alchemy can be very dangerous if used wrongly. Also, What?! Spike didn't use a transmutation circle? But that would mean...

But anyway! how do you people like this new story idea? I've just started watching the anime show, after I finished Attack on Titan, and so far I'm in love! So that's where I got the idea from. :)