• Published 28th Jun 2014
  • 8,992 Views, 409 Comments

Elsa's Snowdrop - TheOneAJ



In her kingdom of isolation, Elsa discovers a special filly that will change her life in ways she never expected.

  • ...
52
 409
 8,992

Chapter 3

With only hunger to motivate her awake, Elsa slept throughout the following morning. Fortunately, Snowdrop remained sound asleep in her lap for the entire time as she tried to keep sleeping.

Today would be the day she would lead Snowdrop home, if she could find it.

However, as she slept, Elsa couldn't stop trying to think up excuses to delay their journey. It was selfish, she knew it, but she really didn't want to leave her castle. They had enough grass to last Snowdrop for a while, and she herself didn’t mind going longer without food as well. It would give her more time to figure out where they were going to go anyways and keep her from people.

Her stomach made a large growl that she feared would wake Snowdrop. When the filly remained asleep, Elsa took in a deep breath.

While Elsa didn't hate the child, she didn't like how her presence disrupted her peace of mind. Things were going great until Snowdrop showed up and suddenly having unwanted responsibility thrusted onto her. She just wished someone would come claim this kid so she could stay in her ice-castle.

Elsa opened her eyes for a minute to look around as she felt a tight pain in her tummy.

She sighed. Even without Snowdrop, Elsa would of have had to venture out for food sooner or later. All Snowdrop's presence did was make that need sooner rather than latter. Even eating frozen birds—once she got over her hesitation to kill them—wouldn’t last her forever. With another sigh, she drew Snowdrop closer to her chest.

By around what she believed to be ten o’clock, she felt Snowdrop stir. An hour later, she woke up.

“Morning, Elsa,” she yawned. “What’s for breakfast today?”

“A healthy bowl of day-old mountain grass, followed by a day-and-a-half-old bowl of grass for lunch.”

“Blah.” Snowdrop stuck out her tongue. “Couldn’t you make us a pizza or something?”

“A what?”

“Ugh,” Snowdrop moaned, “don’t tell me your kingdom doesn’t know what a pizza is.”

Elsa combed Snowdrop’s bedmane. “Sorry, but we don’t have those in Arendelle.”

Snowdrop giggled. “Oh, then you're in for a treat when we get to Equestria.”

Elsa ceased her combing. “Yeah, that sounds fine.”

“So, when are we leaving?” Snowdrop asked as she crawled out of her lap.

“Well…” Elsa began as Snowdrop stretched. “I suppose we should gather up some more grass first to make sure you have enough food for the journey.”

Snowdrop finished her stretching. “I’m sure we can find more grass, and maybe something for you to eat, once we’re down the mountain.”

“Um…” Elsa ran her fingers through her hair. “We can’t be too sure.”

Snowdrop lowered her gaze. “Are you stalling?”

“No!”

Snowdrop stomped a hoof. “You are.” The foal took in a deep breath. “Its fine. I understand you being afraid. From what you described of how your kingdom treats people like you, I don't blame ya. Yet, why are you also afraid to come with me to Equestria?”

Elsa paused. “I didn’t… How do you know that?”

“You just told me.”

Elsa raised a finger, yet said nothing. This filly was too smart for her own good. “Alright, you caught me.” She turned her back to Snowdrop. “We’ll leave today.”

Snowdrop's ears feel flat. “Hey, if you’re still scared, we can put it off for another day or two,” Snowdrop said uneasily.“I mean, I’m sure I’m not that missed by an anypony other than Luna. And it’s not like I’m her only friend in the world.”

“No,” Elsa said firmly. The child didn’t deserve to be away from her family and friends any longer than she had to be. “No, Snowdrop, we leave today, I swear. Just eat your breakfast and I’ll come up with a plan by the time you’re done.”

“Oh, okay,” Snowdrop nodded as she forced down her grass.

Meanwhile, Elsa’s mind was abuzz trying to figure out what to do.

Elsa didn’t know where Equestria was, and she couldn’t count on Snowdrop to lead the way. She would need maps, information—thing that she didn’t have in her ice-castle and couldn’t make out of her ice or log powers. Yesterday when she was on the run, she had thought about grabbing some supplies from a hut she passed on the way up the mountain, but kept going in fear of being followed. As her stomach grumbled, she wished she had. Sure, it might have been stealing, but it certainly seemed like a better idea than starving and having no idea how to find a lost child’s home.

Snowdrop’s ears perked up. “Did you hear something?”

Elsa glanced around at the silence. “No.”

Snowdrop turned her head towards the door. “I thought I heard something.”

Elsa ran her fingers through Snowdrop’s coat. “I’m sure it was just some snow. Now, get back to eating. We got a long walk ahead of us.”

Snowdrop stuck out her tongue and went back to her meal.

Elsa went back to her train of thought.

They couldn’t go to Arendelle. The closest neighboring kingdom was a two-month journey on foot if nothing slowed them down. Of course, there were plenty of towns between here and there. However, it was one thing if the whole country thought she was some type of monster. Having a talking pegasus with her wouldn’t help.

Then there were the trolls. Elsa knew they would be more understanding of Snowdrop, if she knew how to find them. Sure, she visited them once as a child, but memorizing the route to their home was the last thing she had done at the time. She knew there was a map in a book in her old castle that might get her there, but that brought her back to the problem of being unable to go to Arendelle.

Elsa pulled her hair with both of her hands. There was no good solution this problem.

She then heard a knock coming from the castle's front door.

Snowdrop jerked her head up. “You did hear that, right?”

Elsa held her breath. “Yeah, I heard it, Snowdrop.” She got up. “Stay here.”

Snowdrop walked up beside her. “But I…”

“Snowdrop,” Elsa said firmly, “stay here. I promise I’ll be right back.” Elsa made the mistake of looking at her. Those big pale eyes, scrunched-up nose, and cute face made her knees shake.

If she didn’t know any better, she might think that Snowdrop was guilt-tripping her. “Snowdrop," she said firmly, "I’ll be fine. It’s probably nothing. I’ll go check it out, and then we’ll get going. Okay?”

“Okay,” Snowdrop answered as she sat on her rear.

Elsa shook her head and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her, weary in her steps. Could it have been a search party for Snowdrop, or an angry mob looking for her? Either possibility didn't sound pleasant for her as she made her way towards the entrance.

Then she saw a red-haired figure below in the entrance.

No, it couldn’t be…

“Elsa?” the figure called out. “It’s me, Anna.”

She turned the corner to get a good look. Sure enough, it was her sister, Anna.

Elsa didn’t want to deal with Anna right now. The again, if she was leaving the country—likely for good—she should at least say goodbye to her sister. While she didn't need to, she knew that she would never live with herself if Anna didn't receive some closure.

With a deep breath, Elsa made herself known. “Anna?”

****

Snowdrop never returned to her meal. Once she heard someone call Princess Elsa’s name, she had to listen in. Her mother use to say eavesdropping was very rude, but she didn't care.

Who was it? From what she heard, it didn’t sound like Elsa was pleased to see them.

“Please don’t shut me out again,” the woman, Snowdrop deduced, said. “Please don’t slam the door. You don’t have to keep your distance anymore.”

Snowdrop’s curiosity piqued, she flew up to the door handle and opened the door. She was going to find Princess Elsa and make sure that she was okay. The voices led Snowdrop to a flight of stairs. With a flap of her wings, she ascended towards the sounds.

“I’m alone,” Princess Elsa’s voice echoed, “but I’m alone and free.”

Wait, what? Snowdrop thought. What did Princess Elsa mean, alone and free? Did that mean she was nothing to her? Not that she had known Princess Elsa for long, but she thought that she enjoyed her company.

“You kind of set off an eternal winter.” the other voice said.

“What?” Princess Elsa gasped.

With some hesitation, Snowdrop landed on the top step and made her way towards the sound of Princess Elsa's voice.

“It’s okay,” the other voice said, “you can just unfreeze everything.”

“No I can’t. I… I don’t know how.”

The castle began to get colder. “Elsa?” Snowdrop called out. Her voice was lost in the sudden wind blowing throughout the castle.

“Elsa?” She nudged open a door on top of the stairs.

“I can’t!” Princess Elsa screamed as something cold hit her in the head. She reeled back and collapsed in an adjacent room.

****

Elsa took in heavy breaths. She turned around and saw her sister clutching her chest. She couldn’t have—

“Anna!” A voice cried out as a man rushed to her side along with the snowman, Olaf. “Are you okay?”

"I’m okay.” Anna looked up at her with a fierce determination in her eyes. “I’m fine.”

“Who’s this?” Wasn’t the idea of her sister with one guy enough? Elsa shook her head, trying to focus on the bigger problem at hand. “Wait, it doesn’t matter. Just... You have to go!”

“No!” Anna said, unmoving.“I know we can figure this out, together.”

“How?” Elsa said as the room began to glow yellow. The sound of ice cracking echoed throughout the room. “What power do you have to stop this winter? To stop me?”

“Anna,” the new guy said, “I think we should go.”

“No, I’m not leaving without you, Elsa.”

“Yes, you are.” She aimed her powers to the ground, and, without thinking, conjured up a massive snowman.

For a while, Elsa thought it was just a gaint snowman. Then it growled and picked up Anna and the others.

Elsa took a step back as it looked at her.

“What do you want with these three?” it asked in a deep and booming voice.

Elsa straightened herself up. “Throw them out, and make sure nobody else gets into the castle.”

The snow monster nodded amd walked off as the three tried to fight out of its grasp.

“Elsa!” she heard Anna cry out. “Elsa, don’t do this. Elsa!” Anna cried out one last time before the room became quiet.

Elsa turned her back to the door, arms crossed.

“Elsa!” her sister’s voice echoed throughout the castle one last time

Once she was sure Anna was gone, she cried.

She went to do something, when she stepped on a familiar object; the crown from her earlier life. Giving it a good kick down the stairs. After that, she increased her breathing as the room got colder.

*****

For the next few hours, nothing else existed for Elsa as she tried to keep her powers under control. Everything that had happened raced through her mind as she thought about what she could do.

Or, rather, what couldn’t she do? If she could create ice castles, bring snowmen to life, summon firewood, and bring on eternal winters, what were limits? The only thing she could think of was ending eternal winters. She was sure Anna was just exaggerating, but what if she hadn't?

“Get it together,” Elsa said to herself as she paced the room.

What was worse was the knowledge that she couldn’t do anything to reverse it. She couldn’t even clear a small patch of snow. If she couldn't do that, how could she undo an entire winter?

“Get it under control.”

If she couldn’t even blow a small patch of snow off a mountain, she couldn't hope to undo this eternal winter she had set off. If she couldn’t do that, how was she supposed to unfreeze Arendelle?

The room around her began to glow red. “Don’t feel.” The walls began to crack. “Don’t feel, don’t feel.” The room grew darker.

She tried to stay calm, to find some silver lining in all of this. How was creating a living snowman— The room turned blue as Elsa began to smile.

If she could make two snowmen, why not a few more? Why not create several that could get her things that her ice and twig powers couldn’t? She could have food, a real bed to sleep in, anything she wanted with the flick of her wrist. With a snowman army, she would never have to leave her castle or worry about anything ever again.

It was a perfect moment for her. Everything was falling in place and she was on top of the world. Then that moment ended.

“Ughh,” Elsa heard a faint voice moan out in the distance.

“What the?” Elsa advanced towards the sound. It was coming from one of the adjacent rooms. “Hello—oh no!” Elsa gasped as she saw Snowdrop laying on the ground, her white coat and mane covered in ice crystals.

“Elsa?” Snowdrop turned around as she looked up at her with half-opened eyes.

She couldn’t have hit her, could she? When Elsa reached down to touch her, she noted how cold the filliy’s body was.

Goosebumps ran across Elsa’s entire body.

“Elsa, I don’t feel so good.”

“Hang on, Snowdrop.” She snatched Snowdrop up and raced towards the fire room. She threw a quarter of the twigs and logs into the fire and placed Snowdrop next to it.

“Feeling any better?”

“A little.” She snuggled up closer to Elsa. “What happened? I heard you arguing with somepony and I went up to see if you were okay. Next thing I know, something cold hits me in the head and… and now I feel really cold.”

Elsa let out a sigh. She had at least missed Snowdrop’s heart. “Alright, Snowdrop,” Elsa said as she tried to brush away some of the ice crystals, “we’re going to go and get help. You just need to—”

A choir a screams rang outside the castle.

“Oh, now what?” Elsa moaned. “Snowdrop, stay near the fire. And please listen to me this time.”

She set Snowdrop down by the fire as the filly curled up into a ball. “I think I’ll do that.”

Elsa brushed her mane and walked off to see what all the commotion was. She opened the front door and saw a small army of soldiers led by Anna’s supposed fiancé, Hans, fighting off the monster snowman she had just created. Two of the men, whom Elsa recognized as some of the Duke of Weselton’s bodyguards, looked up at her.

“There she is,” they shouted up at her.

Elsa slammed the door and made a run for it, footsteps echoing behind her.

The first thing she did was race to the fireplace room. She gave one last glance at Snowdrop before sealing the door with ice, ensuring the foal’s safety. Once the door was sealed, she heard the men ascend up the front steps.

She made a run for the stairs when she tripped and had to spend a second to breathe before she raced up them. By then, the men had seen her. Crossbows in hand, and murder in their eyes

“Up there!” one of the men said.

Elsa made a run for it. It was fine if they saw her, as long as they headed in the opposite direction of Snowdrop.

“Come on!” they said as she was halfway up the stairs.

It didn’t matter what happened to her, as long as she kept them away from Snowdrop. The only thing that mattered to her at the moment was the foal's safety.

She raced into the balcony room, the Weselton men right behind her.

“We got her.”

“No, please,” she pleaded as one of them let loose an arrow. She raised up her hand, and an ice-wall protected her from the arrow. Now that Snowdrop was safe, she could focus on her own survival.

“Go around,” one said.

“Stay away,” she said as she fired a blast of ice magic at them.

“Look out!” one of them shouted.

“Fire, fire!” They fired arrow after arrow, each with the result of either missing her or impaling a hastily formed ice-wall instead of her.

“Get her!” They continued as the battle dragged on. They split off as Elsa realized what they were trying to do by surrounding her.

She kept both of her hands up as the men began to circle around her, waiting for the right moment to strike.

When one of them tried to let loose another arrow, Elsa impaled him on the wall with ice-spears. It didn’t kill him, but she could easily do him in after the other guy was dealt with. While she was distracted, the other man tried to take the opportunity to shoot her.

Elsa was faster. She used her powers to knock his crossbow out of his reach. When he tried to run for it, she place up a snow wall between him and his weapon. He tried to go around, but Elsa blocked his path.

It wasn’t enough for her; she had to end this. She put forth a wall between her and the man and began to push him out towards the ledge.

It was like with the bird—she shouldn’t have hesitated with it, and now she was still hungry. If she and Snowdrop were going to live in peace, she had to make sure that no one would trouble her again.

She pushed the man towards the ledge. He put up quite the fight, but she knew who would win out in the end.

“Queen Elsa!” Hans shouted as several soldiers raced into the room behind him. “Don’t be the monster they fear you are!”

She wanted to ignore him, do what had to be done, and go back to the way things were. Yet, as she looked at the men that she was about to kill, she couldn’t.

Was this what she had become—a monster? It was one thing to accidentally freeze Arendelle and people she cared about, but to hurt them on purpose?

Before she could do anything, the man pinned to the wall raised his crossbow. Before he could fire, Hans raced over to him and lifted his crossbow up. The arrow fired and hit the thinnest part of the ice-chandelier that hung above her.

Elsa looked up as it began to fall. Once she came to her senses, she ran. The chandelier shattered right behind her. While it didn’t hit her directly, a piece of ice hit her in the back. She fell to the floor and everything went black.

*****

Inside the fireplace room, Snowdrop heard everything: the fighting, a man saying something about Elsa being a monster, and a loud crash. After the crash, there was a lot of commotion going on. While she couldn’t make out what they were saying, a lot of the time it was yelling as Elsa and a woman named Anna kept being brought up. She wanted to help, but the further she moved away from the fire, the worse the pain in her head became.

Minutes later, the voices stopped as whoever had invaded the castle left.

A smile crept on her face. Princess Elsa must have chased them off and would be back to help her warm up any minute now. As time dragged on, however, Snowdrop began to fear the worst.

Finally, after what felt like an hour, she couldn’t take it anymore. Despite the pain, she made her way to the door. To her horror, it was locked. Even after beating and bucking at it a few times the door remained as frozen shut as ever. She flew around the room several times inspecting the walls. Once she found the window that let out the smoke, she relaxed at the thought that she wasn’t trapped in the room. Before she could fly out, the pain in her head brought her back to the fire.

Snowdrop decided to wait a minute, warm herself up, and then go out to look for Princess Elsa. For all she knew, the Princess was chasing the invaders out and would be back any minute. In the meantime, she felt like taking a nap.

“Elsa…” Snowdrop moaned as she began to drift off to sleep. Before she slept, she prayed to Luna that Princess Elsa was okay.