• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 473 Views, 2 Comments

A Shadow Falls - Passion_Breeze



Passion Breeze, son of Celestia and an unknown pegasus, is soon to be promoted to captain of the most elite black ops team in Equestria. When rumors spread of Sombra's return, can he overcome his deluted blood and protect the ones he loves?

  • ...
1
 2
 473

A Treacherous Warning

The double doors to the main hall opened slowly to reveal a grim sight. Changeling eggs lay broken along the walls and small black spiders rummaged through the remains. The green glow of incandescent moss lit the blue star shaped markings on the huge arachnid’s backs as they fed on the carcasses of the deceased fledglings. Not two months ago this hall had been a sight of grandeur, though on most the beauty of the changeling nation was lost in fear. By nature the changeling legion itself was no less a parasite than the eight legged creatures who’d driven them out. Their society however was no less advanced than that of Equestria. The legion was a culture of trade and heartfelt camaraderie. Every night great feasts would take place in these halls. Games of strength and skill would bring an audience of millions to the underwater caves every summer and the queen would entertain them all as her military’s innumerable force would take to the stages under the riverbeds deep beneath the giant mountain range. Once the changelings were an empire. Then a darker power laid it’s eyes upon their home and brought death and sorrow to the legion, driving them into the wilds to rome homeless.

Sombra, or a shadow of his true self, drifted meekly into the hall, his dark aura scattering the leaching creatures like roaches. His ghostly steps blew glowing egg shell and blue, mottled blood across the dark stone floor. He laughed shakily before wheezing and losing yet more of his dull grey coat. His form now was a ghastly one, his body held in tact by a strange, grey smoke that leaked eerily from numerous holes in his ravaged body. A large hole set just above his eyes glowed a poisonous purple and noticing a painful itch he flicked a small insect from it with his right hoof. This caused a crimson trickle to leak from the gash as his left eye began to twitch nervously.

“Curse that wretched wench of a princess.” Sombra muttered, coughing up a black oily fluid and doubling over to rest on one knee. “Before this is all said and done i’ll see her and that entire race drown in blood and bile.”

“Have the equestrian scum wounded you so deeply, Sombra?” A voice called from behind the throne at the end of the hall. The sound of that voice made the unicorn king, or what was left of him, recoil in pain. Like diamonds drug over hot coals and cold steel it made his blood boil and freeze and his brain melt under acid all at once. Sombra once thought himself the most terrifying beast in existence, but after the empire vanished and he was cast under the earth itself he’d found something. Rather it had found him. A glimmer of what Sombra knew was true evil, it had invaded his mind like molten nails being driven through his skull and he was at once brought to his knees. The pain was unreal. Not the kind to be forgotten but the kind his mind couldn’t comprehend enough to recreate in memory. Once the dark unicorn thought he had surely died and fallen into hades itself he remembered hearing that voice. It beckoned to him like a grave beckons to a lost soul. With his kingdom lost and his body ravaged by the alicorn sisters Sombra had wandered the deepest depths without purpose. It gave him a purpose. Sombra’s life, or what remained of it since that day, was an embodiment of death itself, for his mission was to bring death and ferry the souls to this thing that had found him half dead. In return he was given a shadow of the sweetness of life. It was all he could ask and the only choice he had.

“This is the second time you’ve crawled before me in your wretched state.” The voice laughed, a freezing cold gripping Sombra’s already chilled heart. “Fate has brought me a sorrowful servant this age. How could you be so weak and helpless and yet claim a title like king? You’re hardly fit to be a slave! I should drop you dead where you lay, worm.”

“My apologies, master. I have failed you.” Sombra whispered, bowing to the empty throne.

“You’ve done more than that you pathetic pile of wreaking equestrian waste!!!” The bellow shook the caverns and what remained of the leach spiders scuttled out of the hall and the great stone doors slammed shut. A wind like a hurricane had burst from the throne and Sombra shut his eyes in fear of the punishment he knew awaited him if he were to choose his words here poorly. “You’re not fit to be a slave! You’re not fit to live! I ought to consume you here and now!”

In an instant Sombra could see a multitude of forms sitting upon the crumbling throne. For a moment it was an enormous spider with blood dripping from it’s gaping maw and the wreak of rotting corpses. Then it was a gargantuan dragon with black flames wreathing it’s four heads and organs pierced on it’s smoky scales. Next it had become a wisp of smoke with the souls of the dead screaming from inside it’s murky depths. Finally Sombra caught a glimpse of what might be this evil’s true form. It was not solid and he only saw it in his mind. He saw the castles of equestria crumbling as blood and oil and screaming bodies flowed from its doors. He saw the skies of the earth alight with black fire and dark magic and the sun exploding to devour the moon. He glimpsed the ground opening as all manor of unspeakable abominations scrambled from the depths of hades itself and laid waste to all that is good on this forsaken world. This power that spoke in Sombra’s mind was no living soul. It was pain. It was fear and death and above all… it was the ever approaching end of the world.

As Sombra glimpsed the demon’s plans he felt his mind exploding and his heart shriveling to dust. A vacuum sucked the air from his lungs and continued to pull after they’d emptied. His body was lit ablaze from the inside out and his screams were snatched by the cacophony of his own blood rushing from his throat and his bones creaking and snapping viciously. Through it all he could still hear that voice.

“I told you what would happen if you failed me you filth.” Now the voice was a painful whisper in Sombra’s ruined mind. It was barely a premonition of legible understanding and more a painful grip of his thoughts as they scurried to understand this evil will. “I could bring you pain like no torturer in Tartarus could dream on the wildest of nights. I could ruin your soul and destroy you…”

Suddenly the pain and torture ceased and Sombra’s vision returned, his body unscathed. His mind could no longer comprehend the memory of that awful pain. Only the fear of experiencing it again remained along with the scar on his soul. “What would you have me do, master?” Sombra groaned in his guttural drawl.

“You’re failure was beyond mention in that crystalline city of dogs, Sombra.” You’ve left me with few choices. As you know, dark magic has its few limits or I would already have crushed this world into oblivion. Not only that but your stupidity has alerted Celestia to your return, though she would wish to deny it. Forget the thorn. You’ve already ruined the chance of retrieving it…”

“I could-“

“SILENCE!” The ground shook yet again and Sombra’s ruined maw slammed shut as if it had been sewn, his teeth grinding and shattering with agonizing force. “I want you to deliver a message. Celestia and that bastard son of hers are enjoying the anniversary of their birth on the same day this year and all of Equestria along with half the Legion will attend the celebration. I want you to make an impression… Canterlot will make for a fine seat of power.”

The opening concert in Ponyville ended with a true finale as Vinyl and Octavia, the resident superstar musicians, battled on stage and the crowd partied out the night. A haze of splendor and merriment had overtaken the town and the party wasn’t slowing down. A young changeling with long blue wings stepped from the throng and trotted happily toward the palace to the south. The ponies of Equestria had accepted the legion with open arms, by some stroke of odd kindness, and the slim pony noted giddily the mercy they’d received. His mother the queen had been a fool to attempt an invasion instead of trying for peaceful union with the colorful ponies here. Such was the way of the legion, though. Not that the changelings were uncivilized but they were raised to fight tooth and nail for what they had. Most races inherently dispised them and that was cycle not easily broken.

Pushing the crystal doors open slowly, the young changeling entered the front hall slowly, shifting his form to something a bit more acceptable by equestrian standards. His coat turned a spring green and his twisted horn shrunk and rounded to be covered by a thick brown mane. Changelings couldn’t recreate cutie marks, instead when they were old enough they inherited a unique pony form they wore almost constantly in public, yet their flanks remained bare to identify them as members of the legion. His eyes shown bright green emitting a light that allowed him to see in the darkness of the castle.

“Prince Swift Wind.” Twilight called from the balcony leading to the great library. “I’m glad you came.”

Twilight’s mane had been graded into a more royal style and her coat shone from her recent trip to the spa. Most ponies only knew her as a giddy book worm with an overblown case of obsessive compulsive disorder. She was prone to these tendencies but when the young princess wanted she could exude royalty down to the core. She’d been one of the first to hold conference with Chrysalis’ ambassadors and had become the mane envoy to the legion along with her sister-in-law. “Is the legion settling in nicely?”

“The caves below Crystal City were a perfect choice, your majesty.” Swift Wind stated stiffly, stepping onto the shining stairs wearily. His voice was sharp and sounded as though insect wings were flapping softly in his throat. There was a high-pitched drone behind his smooth cadence. The overall effect of changeling speech left one with a giddy pleasure and yet a sinister chill. “Your people have been most gracious to us.”

Twilight laughed quietly to herself. “Well, Swift, this is just Ponyville. You might find the air a bit chillier up in Canterlot or Manehatten.”

“I would imagine so. Mother sends her regards, your majesty.”

“You don’t have to call me that.” Said Twilight, swinging open the doors to the library and lighting a candle with her magic. “Anyhoof, the studies you’ve requested are all here. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you trying to find? I’ve read all of these and I might be able to help you find the books you want.”

“I’m sure you could, Princess, but that won’t be necessary.”

“As you wish. Enjoy your stay.” With that Twilight exited the palace to rejoin the festivities outside.

Swift Wind walked determinedly between the rows of shelves in the palace library. He already knew where the material he sought would be. Turning left into an aisle between two tall book cases he plucked out a small, leather-bound journal. Written on the cover in green ink were the words Complete Compendium of Arachnids and other Venomous Creatures of The East. Striding back to the table in the center of the vast library he flipped the book open to a page depicting two large black and blue spiders. Their bodies were covered in thin white hairs and on their backs rested a large blue star. At the sight of them Swift Wind shuddered and squeezed his eyes shut before reading aloud.

“Shadow Leach Spiders are among the most deadly and yet most elusive arachnids known today. They live primarily in dark, damp places such as mountain caves or deep cellars and grow to sizes relatable to full grown stallions when food is plentiful. In the case of scarcity or during long treks from one habitat to another they can magically shrink to no larger than a drop of water to limit their need for sustenance. Their food source is the most unique trait of this particular arachnid as they feed off of latent magic. This has made them a serious threat to Equestrian society as the magic one might use to drive them out will instead cause them to grow and eventually become large enough to attack large creatures such as dragons. Shadow Leach Spiders have even been blamed for the deaths of Alicorns and the downfall of the Alicorn home land Skyhoof. However, no proof exists of that claim.”

“A bit late to be reading about spiders isn’t it?”

Swift Wind leapt back from the table as a large scaled creature appeared laying on top of it. His entire body wasn’t scaled though for he appeared to be a garbled mix of multiple creatures. “You really should forget about those caves if you know what’s good for you. Those retched parasites will be the least of your worries if you go back there, believe me.”

“Who are you? And why were you spying on me?”

“Spying? Ha! I never do such things and especially not in Twilight Sparkle’s new palace. Wouldn’t be very friendly of me would it?” The draconiquos cackled grinning wickedly. “For that matter don’t pretend you don’t know who I am, Sombra. Posing as a changeling prince is a mighty conspicuous move if I do say so myself…”

The green stallion’s coat sizzled off to reveal the young changeling again before finally shifting to show the unicorn king himself. “So you saw through me, Discord… I would expect as much from you.”

“Yes, well we were partners at one point were we not?”

“If you’d like to call it that.” The unicorn king laughed, spilling blood and oil onto the floor. “Just because we were all doing HIS dirty work at the same time doesn’t exactly make us partners.”

“Oh don’t be so glum Sombra.” Discord sighed flashing behind Sombra and digging a finger into a hole in his side. The king grimaced as smoke poured from his wound onto the floor. “Besides, as I remember you and miss Moody Moon were quite close.”

“HA! Don’t speak to me of that Alicorn turn coat. If she’d have done her job and struck her prancing princess sister down that night you and I wouldn’t be standing here arguing semantics in an equestrian palace during a gawdy festival.” Sombra swung at the chaos god missing by an inch as he teleported back to the table.

A large book rested in Discord’s hand depicting two alicorns on the front. “True,” He agreed, “but your sister Chrysalis also wouldn’t have been driven out of her home if you had stuck with us and you might be in one piece.”

“He’s too strong Discord.” Sombra rebuked, turning to toss open the doors to the balcony. “The plan wouldn’t have worked. I simply chose the winning side.”

“Yes and look how that turned out for you.” Discord was suddenly walking across the balcony and he stopped to hold the book open to the wounded king. The pages he held showed Sombra’s demise in the crystal empire over a thousand years earlier at the hands of Luna and Celestia. “They’ve already written you off in their books as an old bed time story to scare their foals into doing all their chores. What are you planning to do Sombra? You’ve become a slave to the very power you sought to control. I told you all along he’d defeat you in the end.”

“I”m taking my rightful place on the throne of Equestria. With his magic flowing in my body not even you and all your gifts could stop me.”

“Oh psshaw!” Discord laughed sarcastically. “Try to take the capitol. In your shape you wouldn’t have a flank to set on the throne when you got there. Knowing him he’d slaughter you before you could touch that sweet golden chair you covet so dearly”

“We’ll see Discord.” Sombra growled, snatching the book and lowering it into a metal saddlebag on his side. “Now leave me be. You and I have no business tonight and I hear you have a yellow pegasus friend to go frolic with or whatever it is these dreadful creatures have you doing.”

In an instant the black unicorn was gone and Discord was left standing at the balcony alone. “What game are you playing at this time, Sombra?” Discord asked no pony in particular. “Anywho, nothing good ever comes from dabbling in black magic. I believe it’s time I pay a visit to an old friend…”

Night Shade stood guard outside the relic room in the Canterlot caves, preening her wings as she strove to drive off her own boredom. The air was damp and musty and the crystals lining the stone walls gave off little light. Shade was used to seeing in the dark, however and the scurrying of hooves dressed in metal was not lost on her trained ears. Plucking a broken feather from her long, thin wings she stood low and flared them to the sides. The sharpened blades attached to them shone menacingly in the reflections on the gilded doors behind her. The sound of metal on stone died as the approaching pony halted in his smoky tracks.

“This is what counts as increased security in Canterlot?” a wheezing voice called from the shadows. “You ponies have grown soft in my absence.”

“Sombra.” Shade whispered to the dark, her voice steady even in it’s high pitched growl. She’d risen through the ranks of the black fleet quickly, demonstrating unmatched prowess in airborne combat. She was small by most standards but used it to her advantage. Her size made her quick and hard to catch and her cutie mark, a black dagger under a shining moon, showed her talent for silent killing. “We thought you might come here. The thorn is gone and your filthy magic with it.”

“A precaution I figured your captain would take.” Laughed Sombra as he stepped slowly from the Shadows and into the night blue lieutenant’s view. “As it stands I did not come to retrieve an old relic. I came to deliver a message.”

“What message?”

At once ten pony sized arachnids appeared surrounding the tiny pegasus. Their fangs glinted in the low light as their legs scraped on the stone and crystal. Blood dripped from their gaping maws, a clear hint to a recent feed. Sombra laughed as a small show of fear played across Night Shade’s scarred face. “You seam afraid little pony. Don’t be. You have a mission to complete for me. Tell your captain I have a present for him tomorrow… One he’ll surely appreciate.”

The ponies of Equestria stood with bated breath as Celestia mounted the main stage in ponyville. Her hair blew softly though no breeze blew that morning. Her gold clad hooves clicked sharply as her wings spread over the audience. Magic radiated from her body and her voice was amplified over the massive crowd as she spoke. “My subjects…” She spoke, the crowd roaring approval of their sovereign ruler. “My friends… The past years have been riddled with turmoil and strife. Many evils have played their hand at our shining country. Many sorrows have played at our hearts and strained our faith in each other. Among us, a proud few have protected us from these evils, putting their lives on the line for us. Chief among them, a young unicorn from the capitol has shown great courage before the evils of the world.”

Once again the crowd cheered, their voices deafening and drowning out even Celestia’s own. Twilight Sparkle stepped from behind her mentor as the crowd roared even louder. Holding her head high she stood behind the tall, white alicorn.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia hushed the crowd and turned to face the small alicorn princess. “Your acts of bravery and loyalty to your friends have touched the hearts of many. You’ve more than earned the crown and throne you’ve been given. I speak for all when I praise your achievements.”

The crowd managed to roar even louder in the growing light. Twilight stood blushing on the stage as her friends joined her. “You’ve all earned your place in the new palace here in Ponyville and in our hearts.

“This year we also praise another who has more than earned his place among us.” From behind the stage another young pony stepped into the light. Passion’s wings spread wide even outshining Celestia’s. A fact he found quite gratifying. “Passion Breeze. For your unwavering service to all the ponies of Equestria, we bestow upon you a great honor. We celebrate your twenty first birthday with your promotion to leadership over the most proficient warriors in Equestria.”

The ponies were silent now. Though none of them knew Passion’s true identity they knew his name. The young captain who’d led the defense against the changeling legion the past year. The brave pegasus who drove the windigos back to the north last winter. The list went on and on and the audience stood in reverence as he took his place at his mother’s side.

“The Black Fleet will do well under your guidance. Fight well, stay strong and fly sure.

“With the passing of spring, we’ve also gained a new ally. What was once our enemy has become a dear friend.”

Next a black pony clad in green made her way onto the crowded stage. Her blue mane shone iridescent in the twilight and her wings buzzed softly.

“Chrysalis, queen of the changeling legion. We welcome you and your people with open arms. Long live our allegiance to the sun.”

Suddenly the ground began to shake and the sky darkened. The ponies shrunk back in fear as a wind like a hurricane ripped through the small town. In the distance a bright light like fire shone from Canterlot and a menacing voice plaid over the cowering crowd.

“Have you grown so naive, Princess?” As enormous spiders poured from behind the stage a black pony clad in dark, silver armor stepped up to stand before them. Screams ran through the crowd and Celestia shouted for calm. “you’ve forgotten there is stronger power than sunlight in this world. You’ve grown weak in my absence.”

“Sombra!” The princess shouted over the gale like winds. “what are you doing here!?”

“Oh don’t be so dramatic, princess.” Sombra laughed, his eyes gleaming green as he batted away two royal guards. “You believe that something as puny as Cadance’s crystal magic could cast me out? You’re a fool!”

Twilight leapt suddenly from her place at the edge of the stage and pounced on the unicorn king, knocking him to the ground and resting on top of him. With her horn glowing bright she drove a beam of magic through his chest, causing him to scream in frustration.

“Ignorant worm!” He yelled, tossing her aside and pinning her with his magic. The crowd had fallen silent and Sombra stood towering now over Celestia. With a single swing of his metal clad hooves he knocked her to the ground before the stage, snapping one of her giant wings. “You’ve become ssenile if you think that foal is such a powerful weapon that you could hide behind her in safety, Celestia!” He roared, drawing the crowd to silence as his army of spiders spun black webs over the village, melting through bricks and wood. “What happened to the proud queen who fought with bravery against the evils of the world! You’ve become a deceiver and a tyrant, denying your bastard son his right to the throne and forcing your grand daughter to do your dirty work. Your line has become a laughable series of lies!”

“No, Sombra!”

“Yes, Celestia.” Sombra laughed, sneering down at her. “You’re subjects deserve to know the treachery of their ruler. Bearing a half pegasus son to the founder of your pet fleet and hiding him from the light for over a millennia. Convincing your grand daughter that she’s of common blood and forcing her into harm’s way time and again. Banishing your sister to a desolate rock after forcing her out of marriage with a unicorn king. Telling your daughter her parents died fighting that king while you adopt her as your niece. Adopting foreign rule into your home to coveer a love affair with a changeling queen. Where will your treacheries end, Celestia?”

As he spoke magical images plaid behind him for all to see. Images of Celestia and Chrysalis in private locations. Depictions of her holding a newborn Twilight in her hooves in a Canterlot hospital. A warped video of her striking her sister as she and Sombra sat together in an old palace in the Everfree forest.

“You preach of friendship and love Celestia.” Sombra cackled as thunder roared in the sky. “Yet your house falls to ruin at your own hooves so you can bask in false glory. The time is approaching that you will atone for these sins. HE is returning for you. In six months time this land will crumble under the heal of my master. Rejoice in the guilt of knowing that your kingdom will fall for your treason.”

“You don’t mean?” Celestia’s voice wavered in fear at the thought of Sombra’s warnings. In her memory she felt pain at the touch of the demon who bore her. Her skin crawled as she felt her forebear’s touch on her face.

“Your magic, and your time, are simply borrowed Celestia. He’s coming back for you from the Shadows. Mortalitas has returned to take back his throne.”

With a single crack of lightning that shattered the ground Sombra and his army of parasites vanished. Celestia lay mortified on the ground as Sombra’s voice blew on the dying wind. “Tell them, Celestia. You’re the daughter of the demon king… not fit for rule or love….”

Author's Note:

Surprise! Okay so I know i've probably destroyed quite a few people's head canon for the rest of this fic but that's actually the point here. I'm trying to be original and not follow the show too closely in terms of style. I'm not really great with author's notes so this ought to be short.

Before the last chapter I said i'm looking for some one to make a comic version of this and I actually found some one who is working on it. He's busy with finals right now but as soon as the first chapter of the comic comes out i'll provide a link. Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks for reading and please review. I may have left a few of loose ends this chapter but most of those questions will be cleared up soon.

-Passion_Breeze

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment