• Published 29th May 2014
  • 408 Views, 3 Comments

Birthday Game Shenanigans - BulletCat



A collection of stories based off of Birthday games.

  • ...
 3
 408

Apocalypse

It was midnight. I was sitting in the attic of a home we had decided was reasonably safe. My father's shotgun rested against the wall next to me, my handgun on my thigh, and my pack on my other side. It was a chilly october night and it was too dangerous to consider a fire, or sleeping down in the rest of the house that was actually warm. Not that I cared at the moment. For the past several days, I had been running around all over the damn place trying to find other survivors. Ones that didn't try to shoot me dead. (Found plenty of those.) So far, I had only been lucky enough to find one who didn't want to kill me and actually survived. Her name was Apple Bloom.

My compatriot stirred. Nightmares of this crap probably running through her mind. Running my hand over her bright red mane, partly to soothe her, partly to calm my nerves. Apple Bloom, apart from being the warmest thing I had at the moment, was also a good pony. She might have been terrified of what she saw, but she did a good job of hiding that and doing what needed to be done. A loud groan outside shook me out of my musings. Looking out the window, I noticed several zombies walking by the house we were holed up in. Thankfully, none of them seemed interested in this place.

Not even a full week ago, things were normal. The part of town we were in was considered one of the safest areas in the state. Now, it was suicide to be out anywhere in this town after dark. If not for the zombies, than the people who had resorted to violence against anyone to try and survive. Unfortunately, our travels constantly brought us into the path of these psychopaths.

Don't get me wrong. There were also plenty of people we met who were actually rather helpful and kind. Unfortunately, we usually were going around trying to find anyone we recognized. I was looking for any old friends that might have survived this, and Apple Bloom was looking for anyone from her family who was still alive. I had found several of my friends along the way. It was nice to know that some old friends had also survived the dead rising. They, however, had the good common sense to stay put whenever we found a group of people who weren't "shoot-on-sight." I was stuck with Apple Bloom as we looked for what was left of her family. Not that I minded, of course. It jsut wasn't the smartest thing to be doing.

You see, she and her family had come to this town because her older sister, Applejack, and my dad had been good friends through business since first contact. My dad had invited her and her family down her for the Harvest festival that the town threw every year. Just about the only thing of interest that happened in this small Texas town. I hadn't met many ponies before so I wasn't sure what to think, except that my dad did business with them and that usually meant that they were good people. When they arrived, I found that they were perhaps more touchy than I would have liked, but otherwise, good people.

Unfortunately, that weekend the world decided to end. We were at the fair and the ponies were marveling at the size and complexity of some of the rides. Suddenly there was some screaming from the crowd up ahead. My dad and I rushed up there to find several people chewing on my teacher, Mrs. Bialek, and her husband. I grabbed the hammer off of the strength test and my dad grabbed his pocket knife. It took a while to stop these things, finally managing to knock in their heads. But by the time we had done this, Mr and Mrs. Bialek started to stand up. Realizing that we weren't going to last long we ran back, grabbed the Apples and left with the rest of the crowd. Somewhere in there we got separated from Apple Bloom's brother and granny. I just hope that they got out alright.

On the way back to the house we ran into a much larger group of zombies. We managed to got most of the way around the side when one of them noticed AJ. She got bit on the rump as we tried to get away. She just laughed it off as a scratch. I don't think she would have been laughing if she knew what would happen as a result.

Finally getting home, my dad and I started to barricade the place up and grab our guns. Once we were certain that we safe, dad went and got the medical kit and started to tend to AJ's bite. She was out of it at this point and appeared to be sleeping as my dad administered some stitches . My dad had just finished placing a bandage over it when she started to stir. We gathered around, my dad shaking her trying to wake her up. Just then she whirled around and bit into my dad's neck. He screamed as I rushed forward and kicked her in the face. That only seemed to knock her back for a second as she looked at me hungrily with discolored bloodshot eyes.

There was a loud bang as my dad fired his shotgun at point blank at her head. There was a spray of blood as she collapsed. Looking down at my dad I noticed that the bite wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I knelt down by him to try and tend to the wound. He only shoved me off of him and handed me his shotgun before ordering me to get in the car and get out of here. I was about to protest when I remembered that Applejack had been bitten as well before turning into one of those things. As well as Mr. and Mrs. Bialek.

I went to get Apple Bloom as she was crying over the body of her sister. I scooped her up and she didn't protest. Too drained from the days events most likely. rushing out to the garage I put AB in the passenger seat before climbing in and heading off. We were almost off the property when I heard a shot coming from the house. I kept myself from looking back. It was the only thing I could do not to cry.

We stopped by one of my friend's places. I was glad to see him and his family were all alright. AB and I stayed the night there mostly tossing and turning as we tried to sleep. The next morning over breakfast, Apple Bloom asked me something: She asked me why I wasn't upset about losing my dad. I told her that crying wouldn't bring him back and that now I had her to look after and I was trying to keep her spirits up. She then asked me if I could help her find the rest of her family. I agreed. Mostly because I didn't want AB to end up without a family like me.

So now we've been traveling around several towns trying to find them. Mostly we've gotten "Yeah, but they moved on a little bit ago" or "Sorry, never seen 'em."I was starting to wonder if they've made it back to Equestria, but from what I learned from the other ponies we've met, (which isn't many) the gate was closed soon after the outbreak happened, so it was unlikely that they made it back home. Not that I cared. I still made a promise to Apple Bloom. Alive or Dead, I was going to find her family and help them get home.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment