• Published 3rd Nov 2011
  • 24,139 Views, 264 Comments

Happily Ever After - Vanner



Not everypony is happy to see Lyra and Bon Bon Getting married.

  • ...
20
 264
 24,139

Part 1

Behind the marble counter stood the serene face of a master. A white bandana held back the mass of downy mane that coifed the head of the pony. Around him floated the razor sharp steel of a dozen knives, each chopping, hacking, and slicing with the precision of sewing machine. A bead of sweat rolled into the bandana and wicked away as he moved not a muscle. Carrots and green beans were scooped from their chopping blocks and tossed into the rolling boil of sauce pans with only a tilt of his horn. The chopping of knives and the gurgle of sauces were the only sounds that echoed from the kitchen. The blue unicorn worked in silence as slips of paper floated past. With nary a look, another plate filled with food floated to the counter. The dinner rush was on, but Pokey was waiting for something much bigger.

An earth pony moved in silence as he took away plates ladned with food to the two dozen ponies that stood in anticipation of that evening’s meal. At a corner table nearest to the kitchen, a teal unicorn and a cream earth pony sat, enjoying the other’s company with a silent smile and a happy stare, as if the world around them didn’t matter. The two lovers ignored the earth pony that delivered their food and stayed lost in each other’s eyes. A clatter of dishes from the kitchen broke their stare. With a small giggle, they turned at last to their meal.

Pokey turned to peer out from the kitchen window and, for the tiniest second, caught the teal unicorn’s eye. With a silent, nearly unnoticed nod, Pokey allowed his knives to clatter to their blocks and a bottle fine of champagne rose from the refrigerator to replace them. With a flip of his horn, the cork popped and two fine stemmed flutes rose to meet the flowing bubbly. Flutes held aloft by the twinkle of magic, Pokey strode from the kitchen into his dining hall.

The two ponies returned to staring into each other’s eyes and the world again disappeared around them. The restaurant went silent as the blue unicorn strode across the floor of his restaurant. No pony had ever seen him leave the kitchen for anything during the dinner rush. A dozen pairs of eyes followed the blue unicorn, but two sets stayed lost in each other. Lyra caught him from the corner of her eye and turned to face her friend. Bon-Bon looked up at Pokey; the grim visage of a pony harried by work stared back.

“We didn’t order champagne,” said Bon-Bon.

“On the house,” said Pokey. Murmurs filled the room. Pokey was known to be generous, but champagne? This time of the year? They watched as the chef smiled at the Bon-Bon, then nodded to Lyra. Lyra stood up on her back legs and lifted the glass of champagne from the table with a wave of her horn.

“Fillies and gentlecolts,” she said. “Many of you have seen love in your life and many of you have found that one special pony that makes you happy beyond measure. For me, that is my Bon-Bon.” She gestured to Bon-Bon with a wave of her hoof. “Bon-Bon is the most amazing mare I have ever met. She took me in when I was cold and alone on the streets of Ponyville. In sickness, she cared for me, and in health, she has loved me. To her, the eccentricities of who I am and that which I aspire to be are what she loves about me. Her heart is that of gold and her eyes are infinite aquamarine to lose yourself in. She has been my everything for these few years and for that, I want to spend the rest of my life with her.” Lyra turned to the mare of dreams and got down on one knee. From her purse floated a necklace.

As it caught the light of a dozen candles, the sparkle of a single majestic diamond filled the room. Bon-Bon drew a hoof to her mouth in a gasp. As Lyra clasped the necklace around Bon-Bon’s neck, she took her hoof, and stared into her eyes.

“Bon-Bon, will you marry me?”


Despite the late hour, the echoing raps of hooves on wood summoned the proprietor of Carousel Boutique to the front door. With a smile, Rarity welcomed Pokey into her shop and her home. The smile across his own face told her everything she needed to know.

“I haven’t designed wedding dresses for months!” said Rarity in a giddy squeal. “And two for the same wedding! I haven’t been this excited in... well I don't even remember! I can only hope I’m not too flush with the excitement of it all. A real noble wedding, right here here in my little town of Ponyville. I simply cannot wait!”

“It might be in Canterlot,” said Pokey. “Lyra does have some expectations to meet, even if she is on the lowest tiers of the aristocracy.” Rarity dismissed the notion with a wave of her hoof.

“Oh, that’s nonsense,” said Rarity. “With Princess Luna back on the throne, the nobility has gotten itself in a tizzy about how they’re finally coming back into favor. We have our princesses and our mayors. We don’t need more government, especially not from those types. ” A pounding from upstairs filled the lull in the conversation and demanded attention. Rarity’s sapphire eyes rolled to the ceiling with a weighty sigh. “Was it really necessary to tie her up?”

“You saw how she reacted to that necklace,” said Pokey. “We couldn’t have her spoiling the surprise.”

Their hooves gently tapped upon the stairs as they trotted up and into Rarity’s living quarters. On the floor, bound hoof and snout with lavender ribbon, was Pinkie Pie. She bounced from the rug toward the two unicorns, mumbling something incomprehensible. Pokey leaned down, and with a flick of his horn, sent the ribbons to the ground in tatters.

“Now what’d you go and do that for?” demanded Pinkie as she bounded to her hooves. “I can keep a secret better than any of you. What about all those surprise parties, Pokey? What about how jealous you were of Fluttershy, Rarity? It’s like you ponies don’t trust me or something!”

“We trust you just fine, dearie,” said Rarity. “But when you went charging for the restaurant with a bag of streamers, something just had to be done.” Pinkie raised a hoof to defend herself against these accusations, but found herself speechless. She lowered her hoof, and looked up at the two unicorns.

“You mean, they didn’t want a surprise party?” she asked. “But everypony loves my surprise parties!”

“That was supposed to be a romantic surprise,” said Pokey. “That’s a bit different than your normal party. Plus, Lyra asked me to make sure you didn’t interfere.”

“Awh,” moaned Pinkie. “I bet I could have made it ten times as romantic! I’ve got heart streamers, heart balloons, and we could have had a band and...”

“On the other hand,” said Rarity. “Lyra did mention that she needed a wedding planner.” Pinkie’s eyes lit up again and a million watt smile filled her face.

“You think she’d let me plan their wedding?” she asked. “It’ll be the biggest party Ponyville’s ever seen!” With that, Pinkie shot down the stairs and through the door of Carousel boutique in a streak of pink. The ponies exchanged a shrug before Pokey turned to leave the store.

“Do you think she’s up to it?” asked Rarity.

“Pinkie?” asked Pokey. “That mare’s got more go than a sack of coffee beans. If anyone can pull off the wedding of the century, it’s her.” He smiled, and with a chuckle, looked to the home of his friends. “And no two ponies deserve a happily ever after more than those two.”

A pink blur filled the streets of Ponyville as Pinkie homed in on her target. As the home of the newly engaged couple came into view, Pinkie slammed on the brakes. With a spray of dirt, the Pinkie skidded to a halt in front of a small thatched cottage. Lyra answered the rapping of hooves a moment later to find Pinkie practically vibrating with excitement.

“I just heard the great news!” said Pinkie. “I mean, I knew about it earlier, but Pokey tied me up in Rarity’s store so I couldn’t go to his restaurant and spoil the surprise, but it wouldn’t have been spoiled because it would have been better with the balloons and streamers and six piece band and clowns and...” She paused to inhale, then leaned against the door frame with a smug smile. “So I hear you need a wedding planner.”

Lyra blinked in amazement as Pinkie stood there grinning. She’d been engaged less than two hours and already ponies were lining up to help her. She was sure that tomorrow every pony in Ponyville would turn up to offer a helping hoof. It would be a nice change from all the stuffy weddings of Canterlot and, even if it all proved to be a giant Pinkie-powered fiasco, it would still be the best wedding that Ponyville had to offer.

“Pinkie, dear,” said Lyra. “I appreciate the offer, but we haven’t even set a date yet. We just got home from the restaurant and we were going to celebrate our engagement together.”

“Well that’s great!” said Pinkie. “It’s kind of late but I can definitely put together a party on short notice. I’ll run home and grab the streamers, you get the punch and...”

“I meant alone,” said Lyra.

“Ooooooh, a party for two,” said Pinkie. She popped a party hat over Lyra’s horn and stuffed a noise maker into her mouth. Lyra responded with a confused “fweee.”

“I love parties for two!” said Pinkie. “They’re so much fun. You know a pony is having a good time when you get to have a party with them. I’ll come come see you first thing tomorrow!” Pinkie bounced away from Bon-Bon’s cottage humming a tune that sounded suspiciously like the Can-Can.

Lyra stood dumbfounded at her door for a moment before turning back into the house. As she walked through her living room, the quiet sounds of a string quartet came in over the radio. Inspired by the melody, Lyra stood on her back hooves and danced through her living room. She plucked a rose from the vase atop the coffee table and waltzed into the kitchen to find Bon-Bon scratching pencil to parchment. Bon-Bon looked up to see Lyra leaning against the door frame, a rose held in her smile.

“So, my little confection,” said Lyra. “How you doin’?”

“Where did you get a party hat?” asked Bon-Bon.


When Lyra emerged from Bon-Bon’s cottage the next morning, she gathered up her morning paper to discover the headline blared the announcement of her engagement. She lowered the paper to find a mob of two dozen ponies waiting at her doorstep with eager smiles. From the back of the crowd, a streak of pink bowled through herd.

“Hi!” said Pinkie. “It’s tomorrow! I told every pony in Ponyville about your engagement, and I had Snappy Scoops change the headline from something boring about climate change to your announcement because he owed me a favor from his mom’s birthday party. Then I gathered up every pony who could do anything for weddings and brought them all here so we could help with your wedding, because this is going to be the biggest party that Ponyville has ever seen!” Pinkie paused a moment. “Hey, how did your two-pony celebration go last night?”

Lyra took a step back from Pinkie’s exuberant grin. Lyra often wondered how Pinkie stayed so “up” all the time. Standing this close to her she could smell the chocolate and coffee on her breath. It was an answer, sure, but it wasn’t to a question that needed to be asked at the moment. From the staircase came the clopping hooves of Bon-Bon, hair still in curlers and wrapped in a dressing gown. She looked at Pinkie for a moment, then to the gathered herd of Ponyville’s florists, bakers, and caterers. Bon-Bon glanced at Lyra for an explanation, to which Lyra only shrugged in confusion.

“Pinkie,” said Lyra. “We haven’t even set a date yet. We just got engaged yesterday. It’s not like we’re going to...”

“Oh, I know that silly,” said Pinkie. “We’re not here to plan just yet. I brought everypony here so we could do this!” Pinkie Pie dashed into the bush outside Bon-Bon’s cottage and emerged a moment later, clothed in a tux, spats, and top hat. The gathered herd behind her joined in a can-can routine in as Pinkie began to sing.

“Weee’re here today to celebrate
The best couple to ever date
Here in Equestria!
Tooo bring about this wedding day
All your ideas we put in play
so you can have a good time!
Aaand there will be wedding cake
And baskets for guests to take
And pies and cakes and punch...”

Pinkie’s song went on for a few more verses as the ponies behind her kicked up their hooves in a chorus line. Giant feather fans accompanied the routine, as did a choreographed routine involving fireworks and a pegasus fly over toward the end. Lyra and Bon-Bon stood stunned on their doorstep as Pinkie skidded on her knees in front the couple. Her hooves were held wide as the song and danced finished behind her.

“So,” she panted. “Can I plan your wedding?” Lyra and Bon Bon took a step back into their home and slammed the door. Pinkie put a hoof to her mouth and yelled into the door. “So, that’s a maybe?”

“We can’t let that insane pony plan our wedding!” said Bon-Bon. “What would your parents think if she puts on a spectacle like that?” Bon-Bon paused a moment. “You should write them a letter. We can go to Canterlot to meet them for lunch, and we can look at dresses while we’re there! I’ll finally get to meet your parents! I can’t believe I’ve never met them before.”

“And you never will,” said Lyra. Bon-Bon took a step back.

“What?” she asked. “Why not?”

“Because they hate the idea of me dating a commoner,” said Lyra. “I love them dearly, but their ideas that commoners and nobility, such as myself, shouldn’t date is about as antiquated as the idea that two mares shouldn’t marry. “

“That’s absurd!” said Bon-Bon. “Family is the most important thing in the world and I refuse to believe that a pony as sweet as you came from hateful stock."

“Doubt it all you want,” said Lyra. “I’ll send them a letter. If they don’t approve, then they’re not invited. It’s as simple as that.” She wrapped her hooves around Bon-Bon and kissed her cheek. “You are all the family a pony could ever need.”

“You are so good to me,” said Bon-Bon. She lost herself in Lyra’s eyes for a moment before a thought occurred to her. “So, what do we do now that we’re engaged?”

“I guess we start planning,” said Lyra.

“Let me help!” bellowed a voice from the fireplace. “Hey, it’s slippery up here. Whoa, AGH!” Thumping and crashing echoed from inside the fireplace as a rolling cloud of soot overtook the living room. As the dust settled amid the coughing of the two residents, a sooty Pinkie pie stood from the fireplace. “You should really have your chimney cleaned at least once a year. I know a great pony who does it cheap.” The happy couple looked at each other with distress.

“You’re not going to leave us alone until we agree to use you as our wedding planner, are you?” asked Bon-Bon.

“Nope,” smiled Pinkie. Lyra put a hoof to her face, and with a weary sigh, dropped her head.

“Fine,” she said. “How much do you charge?” Pinkie put a hoof to chin in contemplation.

“You mean you’ll pay me to plan the biggest party in Ponyville history?” she asked. She tapped her hoof a few times with the other, as if counting on imaginary fingers. She paused, scribbled a few figures in the air, then erased them with a wave of her tail. “How does ten bits sound and I’ll plan everything?”

“How about a hundred and you’ll do what we ask?” said Bon-Bon

“Fifty and I’ll take your ideas into consideration,” countered Pinkie.

“Seventy five and you can have one surprise,” said Bon-Bon. “Final offer.”

“Done!” said Pinkie. The two mares shook on it. Pinkie left hoof prints of soot on her way out. Bon-Bon looked at the hoof prints with a weary sigh.

“I’ll clean it up,” said Lyra. “I don’t have a performance today and you need to get ready for work.” She kissed Bon-Bon’s forehead and patted her flank to get her moving. As Bon-Bon walked up the stairs, Lyra stood on her back hooves, and put her front hooves to her hip. “Ha ha! Now I shall use a broom like a human!”

“Clean it up the normal way!” called a voice from upstairs.

“With the vacuum then!” said Lyra with a boisterous yell. Then, in a whisper, “Like a human.”

Further down the street from Bon-Bon’s cottage, Pinkie Pie bounced through the back door of Sugar Cube Corner. With a toss of her mane, she landed her top hat on the coat rack. Mrs. Cake looked at Pinkie’s tux a moment before turning back to her frosting. There was a clattering from upstairs before Pinkie trotted back down wearing her apron.

“Did you have a good time dear?” asked Mrs. Cake.

“Well,” said Pinkie. “Twinkle was off rhythm for half the performance, and Medley clearly didn’t memorize the song. I mean, she forgot her verse and she had a whole two hours to learn it? I just assumed we didn’t need practice, but noooo. I thought with all the musical numbers we have around here, ponies would be good at them by now!”

“That’s nice, dear,” said Mrs. Cake. She ignored Pinkie’s prattling about drill team precision for spontaneous musical numbers as she continued frosting the cupcakes. When she finished, Mrs. Cake tied a ribbon around the stack, and pushed it at Pinkie.

“I’ve got a delivery for the Balloons Cafe,” said Mrs. Cake. “If you see Pokey, give him this invoice too.” Pinkie’s face lit up. She hadn’t seen her friend in... well hours now, and Pokey was always happy to see her. She slapped the invoice on top of the box of cakes and wheeled the cart out into Ponyville.

As the streets churned beneath her hooves, Pinkie considered her role as a professional wedding planner. She was actually getting paid to plan a party to the specifications of a customer. While that did limit the type of party she could throw, it would prove to be an excellent exercise in restraint and elegant planning. Pinkie looked to the sky to see a clear new day emerging before her. Perhaps it was time for her parties to grow up a bit from their usual raucous extravaganza. Perhaps it was time to grow up a little bit.

“Nah,” she said to herself with a giggle. The cart eventually came to a halt behind the single story restaurant where Pokey levitated trash bags into the dumpster. “Hi!”

“Morning, Pinkie,” said Pokey. “I heard your routine went pretty well.”

“You’d be surprised how fast you can gather up two dozen ponies if you offer them donuts,” said Pinkie. “Where were you this morning?” Instead of speaking, Pokey floated the Ponville Gazette in front of Pinkie’s face.

“Is this your doing?” asked Pokey. She looked at the paper a moment, and scanned the articles.

“Oh wow!” she said. “Two for one and Quills and Sofas! Davenport is such a genius!”

“Not that... wait two for one?” The paper flipped as Pokey scanned it. “Ooh, I could use a new sofa... No, not that. The headline and the article. Why did you tell the paper everything I told you? Lyra’s going to be mad at me for telling their life story. Why did you even ask me?”

“Because Carrot Top and Derpy were busy,” said Pinkie.

“And I wasn’t?” asked Pokey. “You tied me up with streamers and tickled my hooves till I told you want you wanted to know. They were paper! And I couldn’t cut them! Where do you buy streamers like that?”

“I did it because you weren’t talking!” said Pinkie as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “I can’t let a simple thing like ticklish hooves stand in the way of the wedding of the century! I need to know things to make the best parties, and if i need to know it, I need to know it now!”

Pokey placed a hoof to his face and took a deep, patient breath. The Ponyville Gazette floated to the recycling bin only to be replaced with the Equestria Daily. The paper shuffled with a twinkle to reveal the “Life” section. Sure enough, on the front page was a photo of Lyra and Bon-Bon with their engagement announcement.

“That’s great!” said Pinkie. “I didn’t even plan that! That’s going to save so much money for Lyra and Bon-Bon. Free publicity! I’m the best wedding planner ever!”

“Pinkie,” said Pokey, “You can’t even imagine how much of a problem this is going to cause.”

“Why is two ponies getting married a problem, Pokey?” Pinkie gasped and backed away from her friend. “Are you jealous that you’re not getting to plan the wedding? Did you think I wouldn’t ask to you to cater it? You’re one of the best chefs in Ponyville!”

“What?” asked Pokey. “I mean... no, that’s not it at all. Lyra’s a noble and a unicorn. Bon-Bon isn’t either of those things.”

“So?” asked Pinkie. “That’s what makes it a great party! It’s a party, but somepony else is paying for it!” Pokey only sighed and looked back to his kitchen. Orders were starting to pile up as ponies came in for lunch. The cake cart jerked back as Pokey’s magic grabbed the handle.

“I’ll explain later,” said Pokey, as he wheeled the baked goods into the shop. “But don’t be surprised if you start running into problems planning this wedding sooner rather than later. Not everypony is going to be happy for them.” Pinkie dismissed Pokey’s concerns with a wave.

“You’re such a kidder!” said Pinkie. “Every pony is going to be super excited for this wedding, I just know it!”

As Pinkie bounced her way through the streets of Ponyville, she passed Bon-Bon’s Bon-Bons in a state of such bliss that she didn’t notice two dapper unicorns entering the candy shop. As the tinkle of the shop bell sounded behind them, the green and white unicorns paused a moment to take in the marvels of confection that surrounded them.

Inside the shop, the air was heavy with the scent of caramel and taffy. Hints of peppermint fluttered on the breeze as the heavy scent of chocolate wrapped around the noses of the unicorns. The walls were covered in bins filled with cellophane wrapped treats of all varieties. Chocolates, taffies, and hard candies of every stripe tempted the unicorns from every angle.

“My goodness,” said the white unicorn stallion. “Have you ever seen so much candy?”

“Never in my life, Star” said green unicorn mare. “I always knew our little Lyra had a sweet tooth. I guess it should make sense that she’d pursue a candy maker.”

“Coming, coming!” called Bon-Bon from the back room. Her cream face had been masked white with powdered sugar and her white apron stained dark with splotches of chocolate. She trotted from the kitchen behind the counter to greet her guests. “I don’t believe I’ve seen you in town before,” she said with a smile. “Welcome to Bon-Bon’s Bon-Bons, Ponyville’s finest candy shop for three generations. I’m Bon-Bon, and these...” she gestured to the galaxy of confections before her, “are my bon-bons. Since you're new in town, please, have a sample of anything you like.”

As the two unicorns each sampled a sugary treat, Bon-Bon caught a glimpse of familiar features in her new customers. As they sniffed around, she realized that she had, in fact, seen them before. Not in person, but in photographs. Were these ponies famous? From the way they were dressed, they looked as if they were nobility. Nobility. Her eyes went wide as it dawned on her just who had come into her shop. Her cheerful smile faded to a grin of fear as the white unicorn approached her with a bag of peppermints.

“Hello Miss Bon-Bon,” said the unicorn. He looked down at her necklace, then back to her. “My name is Star Dream, and this is my wife Strawberry Lime. We’re Lyra’s parents.”

“Ah...” Bon-Bon stammered. “It’s... ah... so nice to finally meet you,” she said.

“I hear tell that a certain unicorn asked you a question last night,” said Strawberry Lime as she pushed a few bits to Bon-Bon.

“How... how did you know?” asked Bon-Bon. “Derpy just got the mail a few hours ago, I can’t imagine that Lyra’s letter got to you that quickly.”

From Strawberry’s saddlebag floated a copy of Equestria Daily’s life section. It was the picture of her and Lyra sitting on a bench together that grabbed her attention. The headline read “Baroness Lyra to marry candy maker from Ponyville.” Bon-Bon noticed they spelled her name wrong.

“As members of the nobility,” said Star Dream. “We are required by custom to ask you to break your engagement with our daughter because of your non-noble heritage.” Bon-Bon blinked in amazement at the statement. “It’s simply a formality, you see and...”

“Star!” scolded Strawberry Lime.

“I’m sorry,” asked Bon-Bon. “Are you asking me not to marry Lyra?”

“Well, yes,” said Star. “But...”

“You came all the way from your gilded towers in Canterlot to ask me that?” Her voice was flat and calm, concealing the sort of apolexic rage that would have given a lesser pony a stroke. The tiny swinging door that separated the shop from the counter snapped off the hinges as she shoved it out the way. “And then you come into my store, to ask me, a pony you’ve never met before, to give up the mare of my dreams?” She prodded Star Dream in the chest with a hoof to punctuate the sentence. The two unicorns nodded as they backed away in terror.

“So that’s a no?” asked Star Dream.

“GET OUT OF MY STORE!” shrieked Bon-Bon. The two unicorns bolted for the exit in a tangle of hooves and candy wrappers. Bon-Bon stood seething for a moment as the unicorns fled through the streets of Ponyville. As she lost sight of them, she stumbled to the wall and steadied herself with a hoof. As the tears of anger washed the sugar from her face, an orange maned pony burst through the front entrance.

“What was that?” asked Carrot Top. “Who were those ponies? Why were you screaming at them? What’s wrong?” Bon-Bon wrapped her arms around her friend and began sobbing into her mane. Carrot Top helped Bon-Bon to her feet, and helped her into the back room where the candy mixers churned in quiet contentment. Bon-Bon sat on the floor in a sobbing heap as Carrot top stroked her hair. “Come on now sweetie. Talk to me. It can’t be that bad.”

“That... was... Lyra’s... parents,” sobbed Bon-Bon. “They want me to break my engagement. I’ve been engaged less than a day and already ponies are coming after me. I just want my Lyra. Why can’t I have my Lyra?”

“Her parents?” asked Carrot Top. “Those lousy...” She muttered something else that sounded suspiciously like profanity. “Sweetie, go home. I’ll take care of your shop. Then, I’ll take care of this, alright? Don’t you worry about a thing. Carrot Top’s going to make it all better.”


“YOU SAID WHAT?” demanded Lyra. The entire restaurant turned to face the family of unicorns that sat inside the cafe. “Are you insane? Do you really hate me that much?”

“She didn’t let us finish!” said Star Dream. “Custom dictates that if a noble is engaged to a commoner then...”

“I asked her, you idiot!” Lyra shouted. “Yesterday! Not even sixteen hours ago! At THIS TABLE!” She pointed to the picture of herself and Bon-Bon that someone had tacked to the wall. It was a picture of Lyra on bent knee just after she had clasped the necklace. “What in Celestia’s Equestria is wrong with you two?”

“There a problem here?” asked Pokey. He had descended upon the table with the silence of a jaguar and stood glaring at Lyra’s parents with the menacing presence of a manticore. “I don’t know who you are, but I won’t have you upsetting my friends.”

“It’s okay Pokey,” said Lyra. “These two idiots are my parents and they were just explaining how big of idiots they really are.” Pokey nodded and made his way back to the kitchen.

“I was about to tell you,” continued Star Dream, “that custom dictates if a noble is engaged to a commoner, then the noble family must ask the commoner to reconsider the engagement. BUT,” he said raising a hoof to interrupt his daughter, “if she had let me finish, she would heard how much I don’t care for that tradition anyway.” He put his hoof down. “Times are changing, Lyra. We may come from old money, but we didn’t keep it this long because we’re stupid. Even with the noble titles, we still have to make our own sound decisions. Despite your refusal to bring Bon-Bon to meet us, we’ve done some checking up on her.”

From a coat pocket floated a book of pictures and notes that scattered across the table. Lyra fluttered through the pictures a moment and poured over the documents. It was an entire history of the candy maker, from her birth to a family of candy makers up through her tax records from the last year. There was even her one arrest for attempted assault when she accidentally served her cinnamon-ginger fireballs to a visiting noble. Lyra threw down the papers in disgust.

“You’ve been spying on us?” said Lyra. “I could have told you anything you wanted. I already know all this. I know her parents and her sisters. She’s the love of my life. Don’t you think I’ve paid attention to these things? She’s not after our money.”

“We know that dear,” said Strawberry. “And we just wanted to make sure. I mean, look at these photographs.” She pointed to the pictures of the mares standing together on a bridge in the sunset and to another of Bon-Bon watching Lyra on stage. “Just because we haven’t met her doesn’t mean we haven’t been watching you two. We do attend your concerts when you’re in Canterlot, and we’ve seen the way she looks at you. It’s...” She paused a moment to come up with the perfect word. “She looks at you as if you’re her entire world. Love like that doesn’t come but once in a lifetime. Even your father and I never had that.”

“Your marriage was arranged,” said Lyra. “And you’ve been so deep in all that nobility nonsense, that I just figured you’d hate Bon-Bon for being common.”

“You never even gave us a chance to meet her,” said Star Dream. “And I’m afraid our first impression wasn’t what we were hoping it would be. Would you explain it to her and see if she’ll give us another chance?” Lyra buried her head in her hooves with an exasperated grumble.

“Why did you go to see Bon-Bon without coming to see me first?” asked Lyra.

“Because of your father’s sweet-tooth,” said Strawberry Lime. “We just had to stop and get some peppermint sticks. And now because some pony couldn’t keep their mouth shut...” Strawberry glared at her husband. “We had planned to come to your house and ask you to invite Bon-Bon’s parents to dinner. The six of us having a nice, quiet meal to get to know each other. But, since your father decided to torpedo our first impression, maybe we’ll come back another time.”

Lyra simply shook her head. “I’ll go talk to Bon-Bon and see if her parents are free this evening,” said Lyra. “You can... I dunno, walk around town. Go to the library. Take in a show. Go to Sugar Cube Corner and meet the wedding planner.”

‘You have a wedding planner already?” asked Star Dream.

“She kinda forced herself on us,” said Lyra. “Don’t worry. Pinkie Pie is harmless.” A chuckle floated from the kitchen at Lyra’s remark. She put a hoof to the side of her mouth and yelled into the kitchen. “Shut up, Pokey. No pony asked you.” Maniacal laughter echoed from the kitchen in response; Lyra only grumbled something uncouth.

Further down the street from Balloons Cafe, a magenta mare stumbled through the door of Bon-Bon’s Bon-Bons. With a moan, the mare flopped her head onto the counter and gurgled something unintelligible. Carrot Top came from the kitchen a moment later to find Berry Punch snoring on Bon-Bon’s counter.

“Are you drunk again?” asked Carrot Top.

“So tired,” whined Berry. “Pinchy’s had a fever for a week and she keeps waking up in tears every night. I haven’t slept in three nights.” She looked up at Carrot Top from the counter. “You’re not Bon-Bon.” Carrot Top only lowered an eyebrow at the remark.

“What are you doing here anyway?” asked Carrot Top. “This isn’t the liquor store.”

“Hey, I haven’t even had a drink in a week,” protested Berry Punch. “When Pinchy’s sick, that’s all that matters. I don’t need you judging me for being a bad parent; I get enough of that from Foal Protective Services. Bunch of nosey, rotten...lousy...” Her rant faded off into a snore as she laid her head back on the counter. She snapped awake again a moment later, and darted her head around the candy shop. “So where’s Bon-Bon anyway? We were supposed to have lunch today.”

“Lyra’s parents came into to town,” said Carrot Top. “They said some things that upset her and she went home. I don’t think she’s feeling up to company right now.”

“I’ll cut em!” snapped Berry. “I need a bottle. Go get me on of those bottles marked liqueur. Bottom shelf. Right side of the kitchen.” Carrot Top only shook her head.

“Go home,” said Carrot Top. “I’ve got all this taken care of. After I close up, I’m going to go find those snotty unicorns and give them what for.” She punched one hoof into another.

“Beat downs are my thing,” said Berry. “I’ve already got a record; you don’t want to go getting yourself busted for something like that. Leave it to the professionals.”

“Are you saying you’re a hit-pony?” asked Carrot Top. “What happened to being the school’s janitor?”

“It’s kind of the same thing,” said Berry Punch. “They both involve taking out the trash and sweet kung-fu moves.” Berry struck a pose that left Carrot Top positively tepid.

“Are you sure you’re not drunk?”

Berry Punch would have argued the point if the door hadn’t opened behind her with the tinkle of bells. The two mares turned to greet the customers, only to find that it was Lyra and two unicorns that had come in. Carrot Top pointed a hoof.

“That’s them!” said Carrot Top. The yellow mare dove over the counter with a growl. Berry Punch grabbed up the nearest bottle she could find, which was a wax bottle filled with a colorful sugar solution. She went to shatter it, only to find that the wax bottle wouldn’t break against the counter. Carrot Top stood confused a moment before turning her attention back to the unicorns.

“What in the name of Celestia are you two doing?” asked Lyra.

“Revenging!” said Berry Punch. “None shall sully the honor of Bon-Bon while we live! Oh, shoot, this bottle’s leaking.” She tossed the wax bottle aside before licking the syrup off her face. “Hey these are really good. Carrot, you gotta try this.”

“Are you drunk?” asked Lyra. She shook her head. “Look, you’re not going to be revenging anything. These are my parents, and yes they upset Bon-Bon, but they’re here to apologize. Where is she?”

“She went home,” said Carrot Top. “She was crying and miserable after talking to those two,” she glared at the two unicorns, “so I said I’d watch the store for her. I’d suggest treading lightly, Mr. and Mrs. Lyra’s Parents. Everypony in Ponyville loves Bon-Bon, and if you have plans to mess up her wedding, then I think you’d better just leave town before things get ugly.” Berry Punch growled to emphasize Carrot’s point. Lyra just put hoof to face, and took a deep, exasperated breath.

“I’ll explain everything later,” said Lyra. “For right now, would you two please go tell Bon-Bon’s parents to meet us tonight at eight? Everything will be better by then, I promise.”


When Lyra made her way home, she found Bon-Bon sobbing on the couch and shoveling candy into her mouth. Bon-Bon was wreck. Her face was covered in smears of chocolate and fresh tears. Lyra sat on the couch beside her and put her hooves around her.

“It’s okay, Sweetheart,” said Lyra.

“It’s not okay,” blubbered Bon-Bon. “Why do your parents hate me? We’ve never even met before and they hate me!” She whimpered, unwrapping another chocolate.

“They don’t hate you,” said Lyra. “Dad’s just kind of dumb. He sticks his hoof in his mouth more often than I do, and that’s saying something. He wants us to get married, but he’s a stickler for tradition.” Bon-Bon sniffed and looked up at Lyra. Lyra looked to the ceiling as she tried to remember the story her father had told her all those years ago.

“Once upon a time, back when nobility really mattered, commoners and nobles were forbidden to be together because the nobles kept abusing their power. One day, Celestia saw a duke secreting a meeting with a scullery maid. Celestia figured that he was just using her and she dropped in to admonish him for lording his power over a commoner. The duke stood up to Celestia and told her that the maid was to be his wife. Celestia then asked the maid if she would break the engagement.

“Of course, she refused,” continued Lyra. “Celestia then stripped the duke of his title, and banished him from the kingdom with his maid. When he came to her office to return the trappings of nobility, a wedding officiated by the princess herself was waiting for the two ponies. She decreed that true love was more important that titles, and that everywhere that love bloomed was a place to be held sacred.” Lyra smiled at her Bon-Bon, and nuzzled her head. “It’s a test, you see. The parents of a noble will always tell a commoner to break the engagement. If they agree because they’re afraid of the parents, then it’s not true love and it’s not meant to be. You, my darling Bon-Bon,” she said with a kiss, “terrified two nobles out of your store and nearly got my father stomped by Pokey for upsetting me. So you win.”

Bon-Bon sniffed again before smiling. “So you mean they really want us to get married?”

“Absolutely,” said Lyra. “In fact, they’re waiting outside as we speak.” She wiped a smear of chocolate off Bon-Bon’s face. “Might want to go get cleaned up first. You don’t want to meet your future in-laws covered in dark chocolate.”

A few minutes later, Bon-Bon emerged from her cottage to be greeted by the awkward smiles of Star Dream and Strawberry Lime. Star Dream stepped forward and doffed his top hat.

“Uh, Bon-Bon, I just wanted to... apologize for earlier,” he stammered. “And... I wanted to let you know that you were...”

“It’s okay,” smiled Bon-Bon. “We commoners have a tradition too. It’s called ‘forgive and forget.’ I shouldn’t have snapped at you like that, but when I thought you were going to take away my Lyra, I just lost it. I’m sorry, I should have heard you out.” Bon-Bon extended a hoof. “Friends?” Strawberry Lime and Star Dream shook hooves with her and, after a few more minutes of talking, the four ponies set off into the town to meet Bon-Bon’s parents.

A pair of eyes narrowed from across the street as a ponies walked away from Bon-Bon’s cottage. The pony scribbled something down on a sheet of parchment, and dropped it in a nearby mailbox. With a disgusted huff, the pony walked away from the mailbox.

“We’ll just see about that.”