• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 13,566 Views, 696 Comments

My Little Medic - CommanderX5



Twilight Sparkle, shrunken student of Princess Celestia, becomes the Wonderbolts’ medic one year before Nightmare Moon’s return. What kind of challenges await the tiny but powerful unicorn as she studies and works under Spitfire’s guidance?

  • ...
29
 696
 13,566

Ch17 - Farewell Duel

My Little Medic

-

Chapter 17

Farewell Duel

The sun was slowly rising from behind the horizon while it’s bright light started to gently shine upon the training area. The sky in the background was slowly shifting from orange to blue as the time for Twilight’s family to leave drew near. Next to the exit on a small bench sat Spike as he covered his eyes with his fingers. His ears twitched with each loud noise that reached them, from the typical sound of explosions, to breaking ice and tremendous thunder.

Spike slowly spread his fingers and opened his left eye as he scanned the battlefield, quickly noticing several puddles of water, trails of smoke and few small holes on the ground. At some distance he could see a proudly standing Shining Armor, though not as intimidating without his captain’s armor. Near the stallion, Spike could see Twilight, galloping and shooting thin beams of magic, one after another, though each was easy reflected by nearly hundreds of tiny shields circling around Shining Armor in the form of several protective levitating rings.

“Twilight, I think this has gone way too far,” Spike said with worry, but his voice faded into the background of the battle. “I can understand wrestling your brother’s foreleg, but this is ridiculous!”

After a moment and realizing that his words were clearly ignored, Spike sighed and murmured to himself, "If that's what siblings rivalry leads to, leave me out of it.” He was about to turn away when he saw just how much fun the two were having and sighed, ready to go get some breakfast.

“Hey, Spike!” shouted Twilight, pausing their training as Spike turned around. “You want to join in?”

Spike’s eyes lit up. “Make way for the dragon!” He shouted before charging forward and jumping on Shining’s back, wrapping his arms around his neck. “Tag team attack!”

***

“Is that all you got?” Twilight yelled in a mocking tone as she galloped with all her might, her horn aimed at the large stallion. Noticing that her brother’s defenses were focused around his chest and head, she aimed at his left foreleg. Her hopes were dashed quickly when a very small ring of tiny shields moved down and reflected her beam while the biggest ring kept Spike at bay. Shining’s defenses are far more flexible than I thought. His shields aren’t hard, but allow him to both defend and attack. If I don't find a way to bypass it... Her thought process was interrupted by a fireball speeding towards her. Twilight immediately jumped back while her horn lit, and as she braced herself, a round bubble surrounded her body.

She saw a small sea of flames while bits of it slid over her barrier. After a few seconds of bouncing and rolling on the ground before the flames vanished, Twilight lowered her barrier and stood on tip of her hooves as sweat started to cover her body. A few drops evaporated upon hitting the scorched earth while the little mare endured the outstanding heat.

The world was spinning in front of her very eyes

After shaking her head, Twilight’s attention once again focused on her brother, who charged yet another spell. That’s surprising. It seems he isn't holding back in terms of raw power. Her attention focused on the horn. But his attack speed and aim are a bit off. Even maintaining his defenses shouldn’t slow him down that much.

The moment another spell was unleashed, Twilight bit her lips and lit her horn. In a flash of teleportation, she re-appeared few meters away from the impacted area and once again galloped. Now I’m more than sure that he’s holding back, which is expectable considering our size difference. But why did he make his attacks easy to predict and dodge instead of reducing their power? Maybe...

“You like to play with fire, try some of mine,” Spike said as he ran in front of Shining Armor and inhaled. Several small shields broke from the protective rings and formed a large one in front of the stallion as it stopped the stream of incoming fire which blocked his vision. Much to the captain’s surprise, a young drake emerged from the flames and landed on his thin shield.

“A distraction?” Shining said as he took a step back, surprised by Spike’s maneuver. The young drake pushed himself from Shining’s magical shield and jumped onto his head. “Stop, don’t do this!”

“I got you,” Spike said as he grabbed Shining’s head with his hands and legs while blocking his vision, ignoring a large aura of magic around the unicorn’s horn. “Now Twilight, you have an opening.” Suddenly, the stallion in his grasp lost balance and the charged spell was unleashed. A large explosion of fire engulfed Spike and the guard.

Twilight’s pupils shrunk and heartbeating increased in speed as if her heart was trying to escape her chest. She immediately ran towards the smoke as it slowly dissipated, leaving two coughing figures covered in dust. Spike’s scales were darker than usual, but she didn’t notice any significant injuries. She looked towards her brother, whose head had several marks of burned fur. “Shining, are you okay?”

The proud stallion wiped dust from his face and coughed once again before looking down at his worried sister. “I’m fine. It takes more than a fireball to the face to put me down,” he said with a chuckle. He looked at Spike and asked, “What about you, Spike, are you alright?”

The young drake shook himself before shooting him angered glare as he pointed his hand accusingly. “Isn’t that way too much fire power? I mean, come on!” he crossed his arms, “I’m a young dragon with fireproof scales over my entire body, and I still felt this spell. But Twilight isn’t.” He pointed at the little mare next to his leg who looked at his finger. “One direct hit, and you will have a grilled sister, protection spell or not.”

Twilight responded hesitantly, “Not really… I endured a few weaker fire spells during my combat training, I’m sure I would survive this one.” She looked back at the scored ground from previous attacks and added, “I think…”

Shining rubbed back of his neck nervously before kneeling to Spike’s head level. “Sorry about that, but I was more than sure that she would evade every single shot.”

Twilight jumped onto her brother’s muzzle and anchored herself against his dust covered and bruised mouth. She pointed at him accusingly and said, “So I was right, you were holding back, but why in casting speed and aim instead of raw power? Usually my combat training in defense focused on improving my agility and reflexes because of my size.”

Shining sat and grabbed her sister gently between his hooves. “To be honest, I didn’t want to train your reflexes today.” Noticing a questioning look on Twilight’s head, he explained, “When I asked Soarin’ about the events in Fillydelphia, especially about that part where your life was in danger. He said that you froze in fear before your larger foe.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I wonder if you wouldn’t freeze before a monster that big while being the size of a cat.”

“Fair point,” Shining responded. “I thanked Soarin’ for risking his life to save you, and decided to work on your focus and bravery in the middle of combat.”

Twilight grit her teeth, and with some efforts, she freed her forelegs from Shining’s hold before pushing herself from between his hooves. She sat on his right foreleg and pointed at marks on the ground left by his spells. “Now I understand. You used powerful fireballs and lighting to see if I would freeze in fear or not, but gave me enough time to evade every single one.”

With a growing smile, Shining nodded before poking his horn with his left forehoof. “Should you freeze in fear or panic, I would cast a barrier around you.” He looked at the young dragon and added, “I was so focused on Twiny, that you sure caught me by surprise. Smart move by the way.”

“Thanks, this reminds me how I also brought defeat to your team during a snowball fight,” Spike said as he placed hands on both of his sides and raised his head proudly. “Spike, the Master Tactician. I like the sound of that.”

Shining frowned at the memory of his defeat, but a weak laugh followed the moment an image of Blueblood’s face half covered in snow flashed in his mind. No doubt one of best moments of his life. Shining’s laughter was interrupted the moment a tiny mare on his foreleg stood up to her rear hooves and pointed at him.

"I challenge you to an all out duel."

“W-what?” Shining said as he blinked in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

Twilight added with determined tone, “I know that I don’t stand a chance against you, but I want to find out for myself how long I can last against a large and powerful opponent.”

“You can’t be serious,” Shining and Spike said in unison, but Twilight just stared at her brother with determination.

“I won’t take no for an answer. I want to push my limits.”

***

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” Shining’s words reached Twilight’s ears as she stood in front of him with only several meters separating them. Her legs spread and horn aimed as she took a fighting stance.

I can’t afford a single mistake. It’s a test of my survivability… a self imposed test… and I’m going to last as long as I can, Twilight though as she grit her teeth and lit her horn. Shining, it’s time to see what you’re really capable of.

Spike stood on the sideline, hidden behind a cover made of bricks while a helmet covered his head. First aid kit next to his leg. “R-r-ready… s-set… f-f-fight!”

Upon hearing the signal, Twilight galloped towards her foe and caught him with her levitation, but one weak burst from Shining’s horn broke him free. She followed by tearing of a solid chunk of the ground and threw at her brother, but her efforts proved fruitless as it was levitated to the side almost effortlessly. With drops of sweat forming on her forehead, she shot at Shining’s leg, but a small ring of shields immediately reflected her beam. Not this time, she thought before charging a teleportation. The moment a beam of magic was shot in her direction, she disappeared in a flash and reappeared on her foe’s back.

Twilight immediately charged another beam as she anchored herself against Shining’s neck, who started to jump in attempt to shake her off. After a few seconds, she hit her brother in the back of his neck, leaving a small burn mark on his fur. Suddenly, a lavender aura surrounded her body.

With a great force, she was levitated towards the ground as her vision was covered by a hoof. In an act of reflex, Twilight teleported out of attack range, freeing herself from levitation field. Upon noticing that her brother already charged another spell, she focused on his forelegs and pulled in two opposite directions with her levitation, causing him to fall on his face. Two can play at that game, Twilight thought as she ignored the pain in her aching back, a clear message that while her brother was still holding back, but at least not as much as before.

Twilight’s eyes opened widely as a large rune appeared in front of Shining Armor. Anti-teleportation rune, not good. If I get too close, it would be an instant KO. I need a distraction.

The little mare waited for her larger opponent to attack first as she prepared a spell, a plan already forming in her mind.

Just as before, Twilight disappeared in a flash of teleportation.

Shining looked around in attempt to track her down. He immediately shot a fireball towards his sister, who… just stood in place. Shining’s heart skipped a beat as his Twiny was enveloped in flames, when suddenly he felt something hit him in back of his leg. He turned around, and another beam hit him in the nose.

Twilight smirked and shouted before her brother could even close his opened mouth, “Illusion spell Cadence taught me. If you’re not going to take this seriously, our fight will take an entire hour.”

Shining stomped with his forehoof as grin grew across his lips. “Smart move, Twiny, you found a way to bypass my defenses.” He looked to the side and smirked. “How sad that I found few weak points in yours. I admit that I was holding back, but no more.”

Before Twilight could comprehend what her brother was talking about, she was grabbed by his levitation. She immediately teleported out of attack range, only to lose her balance the moment she touched the ground, her head slamming against the cold surface. With some effort, she stood up and kept her legs together as she struggled to maintain balance as the ground around her was now covered in ice.

Distracted long enough, Twilight didn’t notice a barrage of beams heading in her direction.

Unable to focus long enough to cast another teleportation spell, the little mare galloped, only for her hooves to slide on the ice. She immediately raised up her barrier as a few beams of magic struck all around her, shattering the ice and her barrier alike to pieces.

Twilight was pushed with great force as she rolled on the ground, her body covered in weak bruises while fragments of her barrier fell upon the ground and evaporated in tiny trails of purple smoke. She stopped herself by pressing her hoof against the ground and raised her head as a long foreleg of her brother blocked her view.

“You’re not the only one that can teleport, are you ready to surrender?”

Twilight shouted, “it is not over yet!” She grit her teeth and jumped back, just in time to avoid the hoof of her brother, only for another beam of magic to follow his physical attack.

Twilight backflipped as the beam of ice hit the ground instead of her. In desperation, she levitated herself when suddenly a wave of magic pressed her to the ground with great force. The moment she landed with a light thump as her hooves sunk into the surface, the spreading ice captured her legs and reached up to her neck. She was about to charge a teleportation spell, when an anti-teleportation rune formed on the ice. Now she was more than sure that her brother wasn’t playing around.

“Ready to give up?”

Twilight looked up at her worried brother as she kept staring at him with her warface. He’s faster than I thought. I won’t last long now that I’ve lost my only advantage. As she felt unpleasant cold spread through her fur into every bone, Twilight’s teeth chattered as she struggled to speak, “I’m s-st-t-t-still s-st-t-tanding.” She quickly shot a beam of magic towards her brother’s muzzle as he blocked it with his forehoof.

Shining sighed as he charged a small fireball and shot before Twilight could melt the ice with her magic. “You really need to learn when to quit, Twiny.”

In an act of desperation, the little mare raised a barrier which cracked under the fireball’s impact while the flames spread in all directions. Another fireball followed two seconds later and broke through the weakened barrier, striking her. The ice melted while the flames left several burn marks on Twilight’s entire body. Her legs trembled and her breathing became heavy.

Upon noticing small sparks around her brother’s horn, she looked around and focused on the melted water as she gathered it around herself with her levitation. The water from the freezing spell should be 100% clean, it should keep me safe from electricity. Much to Twilight's credit, the electricity from the lighting spell spread around the water bubble she surrounded herself with, though the pure energy of the spell shattered the little barrier as water bursted into steam, creating an opening for a second bolt.

Twilight felt electricity go through her miniature body while her mane turned into a mess. The stench of scorched fur filled the air. Upon feeling a sudden weakness in her legs, she lost her balance, now lying flattened on the wet ground while waiting for the finishing blow.

With a bit of hassle, she raised her head and looked up at kneeling Shining Armor, her attention focused on the aimed and armed horn while the cold of his charged spell filled the air, then glancing at his raised forehoof. I'm either gonna be crushed or frozen, maybe both. I've got to admit, not exactly how I hoped this duel would go.

“What’s the magic word?” Shining asked.

Twilight blinked in confusion before she hesitantly said, “P-please?” Barely keeping her head raised.

“Not in this situation.”

Twilight thought for a moment before realization struck her. “I y-yield.”

“That’s the one,” Shining responded as he gently levitated his little sister and perched her on his back. He turned towards Spike and approached as the young drake jumped from behind his cover, first aid kit under his arm.

Twilight lit her horn and cast an advanced healing spell on herself, vanishing a few of the weaker burns. Now feeling strong enough to at least stand, she peeked from her brother’s neck and asked, “How was my time?”

Spike stopped immediately as his legs left a trail of dust behind. He placed the medical equipment on the ground and pointed at the stop-watch lying on upper part of his cover.

Shining Armor levitated the watch over and said with a relaxed tone, “Two minutes, impressive.”

“Two minutes? I lasted against you just a mere two minutes?” Twilight said as her ears dropped.

Spike looked at the levitated watch and said, “Actually, one minute and forty two seconds.”

Twilight dropped flat on Shining's back, depressed by her poor score. A weak jolt of pain forcing her to yelp the moment she was picked up by Spike who already held bandages in his hand.

***

Shining looked at his sister with pride, who was now standing on the dragon’s hand. “Cheer up, Twiny. It took me quite a long time before I caught up with your speed, and I had a massive advantage in terms of raw power and endurance thanks to my size. There was nothing you could do when immobile.”

“I know… but if you didn’t toy with me from the beginning of the fight…my score would have been a minute at best,” Twilight responded with a sad tone as she stood still, letting Spike practice his medical skills on her burned body. She bit her lips when her adoptive son wrapped the bandage too tightly around her thin leg, but refused to complain. With a forced smile, she added, “Though I m-must s-say…” She grit her teeth the moment some wet wading was pressed against her back. “I know that… that you trained hard to earn your position as the Captain of the Royal Guards, but I didn’t expect you could k-keep with my s-speed. Much l-less disable my t-teleportation.”

Shining Armor looked at the sky as memories from his duel against Princess Celestia flashed in his mind. Oh Twiny. I wish I could tell you that I had a bit of practice fighting against a tiny opponent. He lowered his head and closed his eyes. If I recall correctly, it took me around seven minutes before she surrendered, and unlike Twilight, she delivered a bit of a punch.

He opened his eyes and turned to his sister, who was starting to look a little like a toy-sized mummy. Only her head was free of bandages. On the other hoof, the princess could fly and had outstanding power and endurance, and I wasn’t yet experienced with fighting against a small-sized, teleporting opponent… which raises the question: How long would I last if I fought against a full sized alicorn?

“Spike, enough is enough,” Shining said as he levitated his sister from Spike’s hold and floated her up to his face. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I just walked out from my own tomb… or finished a day’s round worth of exercises,” Twilight responded, doing her best to ignore the tight bandage pressing against her weakened body. A mere look at Spike’s prideful smile after his work preventing her from hurting his feelings with even smallest complaint.

Shining rubbed back of his neck. “Yea, sorry about that, but you asked for it. Maybe ice cream will cheer you up.”

Twilight immediately embraced herself with her bandaged forelegs and trembled with closed eyes. “I… I think I’ve had enough ice for at least a month.”

“Here you are, Shining Armor!” Twilight Velvet’s voice captured his attention. Shining turned towards his galloping parents while levitating Twilight behind his tail.

“We’re almost packed and wanted to wish Twilight the best of luck. Have you seen her?” Night Light asked.

Shining took a step back and laughed awkwardly.

“I recognize that laughter,” Night Light said firmly before taking few steps forward and looked his son in the eyes. “What kind of mess you got yourself in?”

Velvet looked around with worry as she noticed many marks on battle spread all around her. “You didn’t go too hard on your little sister, did you?”

Shining blushed and exposed his teeth in awkward smile. After several seconds of thinking of an excuse while facing two judging stares, he released his breath and levitated Twilight from behind his tail. “It’s not as bad as it looks.”

Both parents’ attention now focused on a mummy with face of their daughter who was waving at them with an awkward smile. Their breathing became slow and deep.

Night Light looked at his son and asked, “How bad?”

“It should heal in few hours,” Shining responded.

“She wanted to?” Velvet asked.

“Have an all out duel against me,” Shining responded.

“And the bandages?” Night Light asked.

“My work. I’m really getting better at it,” Spike said with a proud smile.

Both unicorns looked at each other as Night Light said with firm tone, “It could have been worse.”

Velvet whimpered before giving her daughter a sad smile as her ears dropped. “So does this mean… no farewell hugs?”

Twilight bit her lips and retreated her neck. She carefully rubbed her foreleg and responded, “Well… as long as you won’t embrace me too hard…”

Night Light raised his eyebrow. Quickly translating Twilight’s words into, ‘I will do my best to endure the pain as you hug my battered body.’ With a shake of his head, he said, “No hugs.”

“Now listen up, team,” the vigorous and excited voice of a pegasus echoed through the hallway. “The big day draws near. This is my… I mean our once in a lifetime opportunity to show the Wonderbolts what we are really made of.”

“...”

She took a deep breath and added with threatening tone, “Now I know that not everypony can be as talented and skilled like me, but at least try not to embarrass me.”

“...”

“Try to keep up with me, and we’re good. Am I understood?”

“Yes, ma’am,” teammate walking at her left said.

“We will do as you say, but it would be nice if you would stop calling us losers,” said a pegasus mare walking at her right.

“Don’t screw up, and I may consider it, Lightning two,” she responded before looking ahead. She spread her wings and added, “Finally I can compete against a worthy opponent, and very soon, the crowds will shout my name.”

“My name is Bursting Cloud. Can you also consider calling us by our names,” Cloud responded.

“I will, if you prove that your name is worth memorizing. Now focus, relax and concentrate,” Lighting Dust responded.

“We should relax? You are more stressed than the rest of us,” Light Wing said with a forced chuckle.

“Stressed? I’m always cool,” the leader responded with raised muzzle.

Spitfire rubbed her eyes before once again looking at a young dragon who stood on the opposite side of the table inside of her office. Twilight was in some sort of mummy costume while sitting on his head. Spitfire pushed to the side her nearly finished paperwork and said, “I get the part about how your brother wanted to train with you before leaving, but didn't expect this.” She pointed at the little mare and added, “If he goes so hard on his shrunken sister during a friendly training, then why the Royal Guards aren’t skilled enough to hunt down hydras and dragons is beyond me.”

“Well… I kind of challenged him to a duel. I wanted to find out how long I could last,” Twilight responded before wriggling, still not used to her tight bandages.

Spitfire tilted her head towards the little mare and exposed her ear. “And?”

Spike cleared his throat. “Nearly two minutes.”

Spitfire spread her wings and gasped. “Two minutes!” She sat and took a deep breath as memories how much effort she and her team had to put into scoring the goal with Shining Armor as a goalkeeper resurfaced in her mind. “To think that you would last so long at your current size against your brother. He is a walking powerhouse…” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully, “Actually, your entire family is filled with super powerful unicorns. Remind me not to mess with any of them, especially with you, should you ever regain your full size.”

Twilight blushed at the compliment, before levitating herself onto the table. She sat next to a pile of paperwork and asked, “How are you feeling about the upcoming show? You seem very nervous.”

Spitfire sighed as she placed her hind legs on the table and supported her head with her forehooves. “I’m not nervous about the show. It’s something we have been doing regularly. I’m sure that I can keep everything in order and prevent any disaster from happening. Even in a large, crime-filled town like Manehattan. No, what I am worried about is the party.”

“What, why?” Twilight asked as she tilted her head to the side in confusion. “Fancy Pants is the most understanding and fair noble in all of Canterlot, and Fleur is really kind, caring and possesses an adventurous spirit. Their son is also very energetic and fun to be around.”

Spitfire raised her eyebrow. “Seriously?” Upon noticing a nod, she said, “I find it rather odd considering what you told me about nobility of Canterlot and how they treated you. I was sure that you hated the nobles more than any Wonderbolts.”

“The Fancy family is different. They don’t let power and riches go to their heads. They care about the good of Equestria,” Twilight said with determination. Her movements restrained only by bandages and her aching fur.

“I… will take your word for it…” Spitfire responded before raising her forehoof. “Still, the biggest problem, a pony who will no doubt cause trouble, is none other than Blueblood.”

“Why? He’s nice too.”

“Nice… nice? Are you kidding?!” Spitfire shouted, pushing Twilight away with strength of her voice as the little mare massaged her ears. “Sorry,” Spitfire apologised in calmer tone. “It’s just that… from every noble we meet, he was the biggest, most self centered jerk I have ever met.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, he’s not!”

“Did you ever meet him?” Spitfire asked.

“Yes, I did. He was a bit strict when it came to etiquette, but besides that, he is very nice and brave,” Twilight responded.

Spike looked between the Captain of the Wonderbolts and her medic as they both stared at each other with challenging stares. “May I suggest… to talk this over rationally?” he asked with a raised hand.

“Brave? He is the most spineless coward that Canterlot has to offer!” Spitfire said while struggling to regain control of her voice.

“He sacrificed himself for my team during a snowball fight,” Twilight responded.

“I guess not,” Spike finished before taking a glass of water and sitting in the corner.

“He cares only about himself,” Spitfire pointed out.

“He organized a party for me to improve my image. Did you forget what I told you almost one month ago when you took me to the frozen north?” Twilight asked with a hint of accusation.

Spitfire slammed her forehoof against the table as piece of wood in shape of a hoof was ripped off and fell to the floor. “My teammates and I can fake our interest when talking with common nobles, but we always avoid Blueblood for a reason. He will turn the incoming party into a disaster.”

Twilight frowned before walking towards the damaged part of the table, limping with each step of her bandaged legs. Her horn lit as the wood fragment levitated back to it’s original spot, and after gritting her teeth, she focused all her might on repairing the damage, slowly merging the broken part. She wiped sweat from her forehead and looked up at the captain. After taking a few quick breaths, Twilight said, “I’m more than sure that he will behave. If you just gave him a chance, you both would become buddies in no time.”

Spitfire’s mouth started to tremble before she lost her balance and fell to the floor, now lying on her back as she laughed hysterically. Her forehooves on her stomach. “This… this is so rich. Blueblood and I… buddies…that’s a laugh…” After another round of laughter as Spitfire supported herself against her left forehoof and wiped tear from her eye, she added, “Good one, Twilight, I really needed some laughs after all the stress I was put through.”

Twilight crossed her forelegs as she levitated Spitfire back to a sitting position. “I wasn’t joking.”

“You weren’t?” Spitfire asked, blinking in confusion. Upon noticing a firm nod, she added, “This… makes it even funnier,” before chuckling, her hoof slamming against the table. Twilight quickly raised a barrier to protect the wooden object from the impact. After taking a deep calming breath, Spitfire smirked and said, “If you have such unjustified faith in your arrogant friend, how about we make a bet?”

“A bet?” Twilight asked, her expression softening.

Spitfire nodded as she raised her forehoof and explained, “I will try to talk with Blueblood, be nice to him and start a conversation, and I will try to encourage my team to do the same. If he behaves, I will consider befriending him.” She chuckled again, hoof on her mouth. “Like that will ever happen.”

Twilight smiled warmly and nodded. “Sounds good, and what if I lose this bet? Just curious.”

Spitfire pointed at a small bronze statue of a Wonderbolt inside a blue uniform with few yellow lightning on its sides. It’s body attached on a thin pole, wings spread, one foreleg curled under his neck and one straightened forward. It’s legs straightened backward.

Spitfire blew on it, causing the dust to spread and Twilight to cough as she shook her head to clear the air. The captain poked it and said, “This statue is a bit old. I was thinking about fixing and polishing it in my free time.”

Twilight rubbed her chin with a bandaged hoof. “So if I lose… you want me to do it for you?” She shot Spitfire a cheerful smile and poked her own horn. “You could’ve just asked. With my size and magic, I can make this statue as good as new.”

“That’s not exactly what I had in mind,” Spitfire responded as she carefully unlocked the pole and took the statue between her hooves. After placing it on the table, she pointed at the pole and said, “If you lose the bet, you will temporarily take this statue’s place.” She pointed at the tiny blue uniform. “I’m sure you will look really good in blue. It’s even your size.”

“For how long?” Twilight asked as she examined the pole, only her bandages preventing her to climb onto it.

“Two or three hours each day for around a month,” Spitfire responded while counting ten seconds in her mind, her ear exposed and expecting the incoming word.

“Deal,” Twilight said as she raised her foreleg towards Spitfire.

The captain turned to the little mare swiftly, her mouth agape. “W-what… are you serious?”

“Yes. I’m very serious,” she responded with challenging stare, her forehoof still raised.

Spitfire pointed at the little mare on the table. “You were supposed to say no,” she responded. “Do you realize that you want to put all your hope in Blueblood? Saying that he will behave and we may even like him, with price of acting like a statue for hours each day, and all of this just so we can become friends?”

“Pretty much,” Twilight responded with a cheerful smile, her foreleg still waiting for shaking. “Besides, I stood on the princess’s horn while using only my left foreleg for an entire hour while waiting for her to wake up. I will manage.”

Spitfire placed forehoof on her forehead and sighed. “Alright,” she said with a depressed tone before touching Twilight’s bandaged forehoof with tip of her own and shook it gently.

After the short discussion, Twilight excused herself and left the room. Spitfire's ears curled as she said to herself, “It’s just a party, Spitfire, you can pull it off.” Her head slammed against the table. “Who am I kidding?” With a last ray of hope, she added, “At least the show should go off without a hitch. We’ve been performing all the time. There’s no way something can go wrong… I hope.”

Author's Note:

And the story is once again focused on Twilight. I hope you all enjoyed the duel scene between siblings.

Also, I wrote blog where you can give your opinion about this chapter: Did you like the duel, what you found wrong with it, vote, and also tell me your ideas what may go wrong during incomming show and party.
I encourage you all to visit it and participate. Cheers.

Edited by:
Alticron
PhiliChez
jebob

Proof-readed by:
Malefactory

Pre-readed by:
Rated Ponystar