• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 19,612 Views, 472 Comments

I am NOT a Pony - Synthetic Soul



I had a perfectly decent life, until these ponies abducted me. Now this Luna lady is saying she's my birth mother.

  • ...
100
 472
 19,612

Chapter 13

That night, Midnight slept well past the sunrise, his sleep uninterrupted by intrusive dreams. It wasn’t until the sunlight peered through his window did he wake up. When the suns rays casted themselves on his eyes, they slowly fluttered open. Coming awake, the young prince sat up, stretched and yawned. Once he did this, he removed the sheets covering him, and stepped onto the floor of his room. He made his way towards the door, while rubbing the sleep from his eyes. His mind was clear; he at the moment didn’t even remember his previous dream. It didn’t return to his memory until he had started making his way towards the dining hall.

Midnight had to admit, he felt a bit happier today, and there was a slight spring in his step. Castle staff would bow to him, and with a smile, he would nod to them in acknowledgement. When he finally made it to the dining hall, he pushed open the door, and entered the room. Instead of seeing his mother and aunt eating, he saw only Celestia at the table, absentmindedly munching on her food.

“Good morning Aunt Celestia!” greeted the colt. Only, he didn’t seem to have the Alicorns attention. So, he tried again. “Aunt Celestia?” This second greeting seemed to wake Celestia from her thoughts. She turned her head to see her nephew sitting himself down at the table.

“Oh…sorry. Good morning Nephew,” replied Celestia.

“Are you okay?” questioned the prince.

“Oh, yes, I am fine just thinking.” This was partially a lie. She was thinking, but there was something wrong. She was having feelings of guilt, guilt over lying to her only biological nephew. She was starting to feel as though she was being too lenient with Luna. That she should have put her hoof down. But she didn’t want to press to hard. Luna wasn’t in the best state of mind at the moment. She needed some time to collect herself. That being said, Celestia had clearly stated that Luna had a week. ONE week, and the solar princess was counting down the hours.

“Oh, alright then. Where’s mom?”

“She’s in the kitchen.”

“What’s she doing in there?”

“She said it was a surprise.”

As if on cue, the doors separating the dining hall and the kitchen opened, to reveal the familiar dark blue Alicorn, trotting in, with three plates in her magical grasp.

“Good morning my son!” said Luna in a cheery voice as she strutted in.

“Morning mom,” replied the Colt. “What’s that?”

“Just a little surprise I’ve made for the three of us,” replied Luna as she took her seat. She used her magic to distribute the three plates among the three ponies. Midnight looked down to see a very decorative plate of pancakes. He saw that the pastries were shaped like a ponies head, with whipped cream for hair, strawberries for eyes, and blueberries forming the mouth. Midnight looked to see that Luna and Celestia both had plates with pancakes on them as well, decorated with banana and a few other fruits. They weren’t decorated in faces like his, but they looked pretty nonetheless.

“Wow, thanks mom! I didn’t know you could cook!”

“Neither did I,” said Celestia.

“It’s just something I decided to try today!” said Luna with a smile, her eyes closed. Midnight wasted no time pouring syrup onto his pancakes, which followed by him eagerly starting to eat. Luna smiled as she saw her son’s enjoyment of her culinary creation. She then too started to eat her own breakfast, followed by Celestia.

“So, Midnight, are you ready to spend the day together?” asked Luna.

“I sure am,” replied Midnight, with a mouth full of pancake.

“What will the two of you be doing,” asked Celestia as she sipped on her morning tea.

“Yeah, what are we doing?” questioned the colt.

“I think I’ll keep it a surprise.”


“Whoa!” exclaimed Midnight as he set his eyes upon what looked to be the largest (technically only) carnival he had eve seen. His mother had brought him to one of the more open areas of Canterlot, where a carnival had been set up. By who you may ask? Well let’s just say, Mr. D owed Luna a favor.

As the two made their way into the carnival, Midnight took a look around him. He was amazed with what he saw. Roller coasters, as high as you would expect in an actual amusement park, along with an assortment of other rides along with a Ferris wheel. There was also a wide assortment of carnival games, food stands, and tents with other activities to join in. The carnival had many other families as its patrons. There were many other kids, some around Midnights age, others much younger. They would look at the royal couple, but didn’t bow, mostly due to the request of the Princess herself. She wanted to give her son a fun, normal day.

“So, what would you like to do first?” questioned Luna.

“I’m not sure…Oh, let’s go on that roller coaster!” said Midnight as he spotted the attraction. He grabbed his mother’s hoof and led her towards the ride. The two made their way towards the roller coaster, but stopped when they reached the line. Midnight’s mood instantly soured.

“Aw…there’s a line,” pouted the prince.

“It would seem that way. Then again…” said Luna with a smirk as she used her magic to levitate two lanyards into the air.

“What are those?” questioned her son.

“Fast passes,” said Luna with a smile. She took one pass, and hung it around her neck, while placing the other around Midnights.

“What are fast passes?” asked Midnight.

“They let us take a separate, shorter line,” explained Luna.

“Cool! How did you get them?”

“Let’s just say, there are perks to being royalty.” The two then left the longer line, and moved to the adjacent one, which only had one pony in it, who was currently boarding the ride. With the roller coaster full, the connected cars shot off, taking the passengers on a thrill ride.

“Wow, that looks so fun!” exclaimed Midnight. The two then waited for the next car to roll along. The previous riders exited the cars, allowing the new passengers to enter. Luna and Midnight got the front row seats, and then the other ponies filled the car. The handlebars lowered, locking the passengers in place. Then, without warning, the ride shot strait forward in a burst of speed. It rocketed up an incline, before descending again. The roller coaster performed various twists and turns, ups and downs, maximizing the thrill. The two raised their fore hooves in the air as the coaster went along the tracks. After about a minute, the ride came to a slow stop. The mother and son exited the ride, making room for new passengers to board the attraction.

“That was awesome!” exclaimed Midnight.

“Indeed, it was quite fun!” agreed Luna. “So, what shall we do next?”


Hours passed as the members of the Royal Family sampled the various attractions. Midnight’s favorite by far was the swinging pendulum ride. It was like a large swing, where everypony sat on a small ship, which swung, with them uninhibited by safety belts, adding to the thrill.

The two had decided to take a break from the rides, and enjoy some of the food that the carnival had to offer. The two sat themselves down on a picnic table, and were sampling some meatless corndogs and hay fries. Luna had to admit, this food was quite good. Perhaps she should sample “normal ponies” food more often, instead of the prepared meals that the castle staff prepared.

Midnight shoved a hoof full of hay fries into his mouth. He then chewed and swallowed before opening his mouth again, this time to speak.

“Hey mom? I have a question.”

“What is it my son?”

“Well, I was just wondering…. where’s dad?” Luna dropped the corndog she was about to take a bite out of, her eyes slightly widening. She shouldn’t be surprised. He was bound to ask about his father eventually. Luna composed herself, before looking her son in the eye.

“Midnight, your father…well, he died before you were born,” said Luna in a sad tone of voice, with a matching facial expression.

“Oh…” said Midnight, dejected by the news that he would never get to meet his father. “How…how did he die?”

“He was afflicted with an illness, one that could not be cured. It was a virus that…well, it was a very bad virus, one that I wouldn’t wish on anypony.”

“Oh.” Midnight looked down at his food, and started to eat, slowly. The two sat there in silence for several minutes, before Midnight spoke up once again. “Well, can you tell me about him?”

“Of course! What would you like to know?”

“Well, what did he do?”

“You mean, his career?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, believe it or not, he was a very talented artist,” said Luna with a hint of pride.

“Really?”

“Yes indeed! He was a great painter, and he actually designed some of the stained glass window depictions in the castle.”

“Wow…so how did you two meet?”

“Well, Brush Stroke was commissioned to paint a portrait of my sister and I. As he would paint, the three of us would talk, and eventually, the two of us developed a friendship. And well, it just sort blossomed into a romance from there.” Midnight stared at the table for a brief few seconds, before facing his mother again.

“I wish I could have met him.”

“So do I Midnight…so do I….”


The sun had set by the time the mother and son had returned from the carnival. Midnight lay down on Luna’s back as the two made their way through the castle to Midnights room. The two had had a fun time. It was a day spent enjoying good food, rides, and a few games.

Midnight was dozing off by the time they reached his room. Luna quietly opened the door, and walked in. She gently levitated her son off her back, and set him on the bed. Midnight seemed to wake up a bit, and he opened his eyes.

“Did you have fun today, sweetie?” questioned Luna.

“I sure did. That was so much fun!” replied the dozing colt.

“I am glad you enjoyed it,” said Luna with a warm, motherly smile.

“Can we do something again tomorrow?” asked the prince.

“Well, you have your lessons tomorrow. But, after that, I don’t see why not! We could see a movie, or perhaps go to the spa! Whatever you wish!”

“Can’t wait!”

“Me neither honey,” said Luna as she kissed her son on the forehead. She then turned, to leave her son to rest alone. But as she reached the door, her son spoke.

“Goodnight mom…I love you,” said the colt as he fell asleep. Luna’s eyes widened before, they softened, her heart relishing in what he had said.

“I love you too Midnight,” said Luna as she left the room, closing the door behind her. As soon as she was on the other side, her heart filled with joy, as expressed on her face. ‘He said he loved me!’ Luna had heard him say this before, but never as warm and genuine as he just had. Luna made her way towards her room, with a spring in her step. It seemed as though things were finally going her way. She just had to show Midnight that she loved him, and by the time it was time to tell him the truth, he would be much likelier to accept her as his mother.

“Perhaps we will finally be a happy family!”


The next morning found the three royals sitting at the dining room table, eating their breakfast together. The three ate, in silent content, until Celestia broke the silence.

“So, what do you two have planned for today?”

“Well, Midnight has his lessons today, but after that, the two of us are planning on doing something afterwards.” Celestia just nodded, and continued eating. A few minutes passed, before Midnight lowered his silverware onto his plate, and wiped his mouth with a napkin.

“I’m all done!” said the colt.

“Already?” asked Luna, before she gulped down another bite of food. “Well, alright, you know where to find the pegasi that will be taking you to Ponyville, right?”

“Yeah, I do,” replied the prince.

“Well, alright, I’ll see you afterwards then.”

“Ok, bye mom, bye Aunt Celestia!” said Midnight as he got up from his chair, and headed out of the room. When he was gone, the two sisters resumed their breakfast. Luna was quite happy with the way things were going; her son was finally warming up to her. Things were going to work out after all. Things had started out so rocky when she had first brought him back to Equestria, but it was now working out in her favor. She would tell him the truth, and because his amnesia would not alleviate by then, he would be more likely to accept her as his mother.

“Five days,” said Celestia, breaking Luna from her thoughts.

“What?” questioned the Lunar Princess.

“You have five days until you tell Midnight the truth. I’ve been keeping track.”

“Oh, yes of course. Don’t worry sister, I plan on living up to my end of the deal,” said Luna in a genuine tone of voice.

“Good,” said Celestia, taking a sip of her tea.


Midnight’s ride in the flying chariot came to an end as Ponyville came into view. Soon enough, the wheels touched down on the dirt road, and then came to a grinding halt. As soon as it was still, Midnight exited the chariot, and thanked the two pegasi. The two stallions nodded, and then took off back into the air, heading back to Canterlot, while Midnight made his way to the library. He stopped once he reached it, and knocked on the door. He heard the muffled voice of Twilight saying; ‘Just a minute’, before the door opened to reveal a familiar purple Alicorn.

“Good morning Midnight,” greeted Twilight with a friendly tone.

“Morning Twilight,” returned Midnight. Twilight opened the door wider, and stood to the side to allow Midnight into the library. He made his way in, which followed by Twilight closing the door behind him.

“So, what’s the lesson plan for today?” questioned the colt.

“Well, I was thinking we could continue with our lessons regarding Teleportation,” answered Twilight.

“Sounds good to me,” replied the colt. He made his way over to the lesson area that Twilight had set up, which had a small desk, a cushion, and a blackboard. Midnight sat down on the cushion, while Twilight took her position in front of him.

“So, as we learned last session, teleportation works by focusing your magical energies on an object, person, or yourself, and willing the affected individual into another place. You have to think about both the thing you’re teleporting, and the place you want to send it to. So today, I though we’d start with something simple.” Twilight levitated a quill onto the desk, and set it down.

“Alright, so what I want you to do, is cast your magic over the quill, as if you were going to levitate it. Then focus on where you want to send it, and make sure to WANT to send it to that place.”

“Ok,” replied Midnight with a nod. He charged his horn, and focused on his magic aura surrounding the quill. He then chose a spot to send it, and started to concentrate. He focused on sending it, but the only success he had was with making the object move a little bit. After a little while of trying, with no success, the prince then closed his eyes, and focused harder. This time, he could feel the spell starting to work. He focused harder, and could hear the familiar noise of an object teleporting. He opened his eyes, and found that the quill pen was no longer on the desk. He looked over to the side, and saw the quill lying on the floor, a few feet away.

“Good job Midnight, excellent work!” praised Twilight. A smile came to Midnights face, as he relished in his accomplishment. “Alright, let’s see if you can bring it back to desk,” said Twilight.

Midnight nodded, and shut his eyes again, focusing on teleporting the quill. A few seconds later, and he found he had succeeded yet again.

“Very good, you’re getting this quick. Now let’s try something a little harder,” suggested Twilight as she took the quill back, and replaced it with a bright red apple. The lesson continued in this fashion, with Twilight giving Midnight gradually harder objects. Eventually, he found could start doing the task with his eyes opened. After about half an hour, he was feeling confident, yet a little tired.

“You’ve done extremely well today,” said Twilight. “Well, we still have a while until your lesson ends, so why don’t we try another spell?”

“Well, can I try teleporting myself?” questioned the colt, with eagerness.

“Um, I don’t know…teleporting an object is one thing, but an actual pony is a lot harder.”

“Please, I know I can do it!” begged Midnight.

“Well…ok, I guess, but first I think you need to rest a bit.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” said Midnight.

“Are you hungry?” asked Twilight.

“Not really, but I could use a little something to drink,” replied Midnight.

“Sure, what would you like?” said Twilight, as the two made their way towards the kitchen.

“Do you have apple juice?”

“Sure, strait from Sweet Apple Acres,” replied the princess. Midnight sat down at the table, and Twilight poured him a glass of juice. The two rested for about 20 minutes, before the two mutually decided that Midnight was ready to attempt the spell again. The two made their way back into the lesson area of the library, and Twilight then explained how the new technique.

“Alright Midnight, teleporting yourself is a bit different than teleporting an apple, or a pen. You need to let your magic flow from your horn, but instead of sending it at an object, you need to let it overflow onto your body, like a cup overflowing with water. The rest of the spell operates the same, except you need to put a lot more energy into it. Do you think you can do it?”

“I know I can!” replied Midnight.

“All right, then let’s get started,” replied Twilight. Midnight took a spot in an open area of the library, and shut his eyes. He started focusing on letting the magic flow out of his horn, and envelope his body. He felt himself straining a little, but he kept at hit. He focused hard, and pushed himself as hard as he could.

Twilight watched Midnight, making sure nothing went wrong. She saw that he was exerting a lot of magical energy. Beads of sweat began forming on his face. She was about to ask him to stop, but before she could, he could feel a spike of power coming from him. It seemed that he was about to teleport. Twilight watched, as it seemed that he was about to succeed.

Just then, Twilight felt the air getting dryer, as small sparks started to form in the area around Midnights horn. This wasn’t the normal kind of spark that emanated from normal magic use. This was more volatile, and usually signified magical backlash. The spell was going to fail!

“Midnight, quick, stop!” yelled Twilight.

“I…almost…got it,” replied Midnight through gritted teeth.

“No, Midnight, you need to-“ but before Twilight could finish, a small explosion went off right in front of Midnight. Midnight yelped in surprise, as he was launched from where he was standing, right into the wall of the library. As the back of his head hit the wall, he saw a flash of white in his vision. And just like that, images came rushing into his head. He saw visions of his past, names and faces. This image triggered memories, which rushed back into his head from where they were locked away. In a single moment, everything returned to him. He slumped down onto the floor, where he stayed, until Twilight rushed over to him.

“Midnight! Midnight, are you ok?” Twilight bent down next to Midnight, and put her hoof to his body. “Can you hear me?” Slowly, Midnight rose back up to a sitting position, rubbing the back of his head.

“Midnight, can you hear me? Are you Ok?” But Midnight didn’t focus on what Twilight was saying. Only one thought was in his head.

‘I remember.’

Author's Note:

Alright guys, one more chapter to go, and this story is done! It's about time too, this story has been running for, what, a year, two? I'm glad to finally be finishing, but at the same time, it's a little sad. This is my first story, and my most popular. By the way, it recently hit 400 likes! I want to thank you all for the support, and for sticking with the story, even after the amnesia thing. But, the amnesia is finally gone, so next comes the storm. Say tuned for the big finale!