• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 19,612 Views, 472 Comments

I am NOT a Pony - Synthetic Soul



I had a perfectly decent life, until these ponies abducted me. Now this Luna lady is saying she's my birth mother.

  • ...
100
 472
 19,612

Chapter 12

The light of his mothers moon shined down on the sleeping form of Midnight, through the window of his room. He lay there peacefully, exhausted from his first day of lessons. Using his magic, and wings had drained him physically, and mentally. He had gone to bed happy, after saying goodnight to his mother. And while in the physical world he was lying peacefully in his bed, in his mind, he was living his dreams. In his dream world, he flew though the sky, at speeds only matched by Rainbow Dash. He bobbed and weaved through the clouds.

The feeling of the wind blowing through his mane, souring hundreds of feet above the ground, it was an indescribable thrill, even in dream form. Approaching max speeds, he spun his body, and dived down, heading strait for the ground. He accelerated, going faster and faster. Just as he was about to hit the ground, he turned his wings, and bounced off the air, rocketing back into the air. As he did this, his speed reached its peak, causing a sonic boom. The sound rocketed through the air, as a silver and black explosion of color erupted from the spot he just occupied.

He slowed his flight down, and dived down to land. As he lowered, he could hear the cheers of his family and friends. His hoofs touched down on the grass of the hill that Twilight and her friends occupied, along with his mother and aunt.

“That was wonderful sweetheart!” exclaimed Luna as she trotted over to her son, and wrapped him up in a hug. At this moment, the colt felt pure joy. He was living his dream, he had achieved the peak of his flying ability, and his family and friends were here the share in his moment.

“I love you so much.” Midnight’s eyes shot open. That wasn’t his mother’s voice. The scene before him was washed away, until he was trapped in a void of white. Panicked, he looked around him, spinning, trying to find anything other than the void. When he failed to find anything else, he started running, hoping to find something, anything. As he ran, the scene once again melted away.

“Happy birthday dear Tristan! Happy birthday to you!” Midnight found himself in an entirely new setting. He was in what looked like a dining room; only it was different than the ones he had seen. He turned his head, looking around, not recognizing the scene he was in. There were several objects that he didn’t recognize, like this wide black rectangle that was resting on a stand.

The voices returned, singing a song to celebrate a birthday. Midnight turned to see strange creatures he had never seen before. They were tall, hairless, and fleshy. They were gathered around a table, with a pink, decorated birthday cake, with a burning candle shaped like the number 7. Sitting in front of the cake, was a smaller one of the creatures. It had dirty blonde hair, and a cone shaped birthday hat on his head.

The creature blew out the candle. And as the flame died away, so did the scene, only to be replaced by a new one. Midnight now found himself outside; the sun shining high in the sky, the green summer leaves waving as the wind blew against the trees. Midnight looked to see that in front of a modern looking house, was the creature from before, the small one. He was sitting on some sort of strange two-wheeled thing, with a larger creature holding him.

The larger creature started jogging, with the child in his grip. As the wheeled object started rolling, the larger creature let go, allowing the child to ride the device on his own.

“Don’t let go!” cried the youngling, only for him to look behind him, and see that the adult had let go long ago.

“You’re doing it!” called the adult. The child started laughing as he rode the machine, cheering, excited about his accomplishment.

None of this made sense to Midnight. He had no idea who or what these creatures were, or why he was dreaming about them. But he felt…like somehow, he’d seen them before. And he felt…sad. He didn’t know why, but he was worried he would never see them again. He felt a connection, one that he couldn’t explain.

The creature on the vehicle changed direction, and started speeding strait towards Midnight. The colt raised his forearm to protect himself and let out a yell of surprise.

Midnight silently jolted awake in his bed. He looked around the room, searching for the creatures that just occupied his senses. A few seconds passed before he recognized that the scene he was just in was a dream. The colt blinked a few times, and discovered a wetness near his eyes, running down his cheeks. He raised his hoof to his face, and wiped away what were now revealed to be tears.

‘What was that dream? What were those things? And why do I feel so sad?’ Midnight just sat there, breathing silently, thinking. The dream left a deep, empty feeling in his stomach. He considered going to find his mother for comfort, but decided against it. She was most likely busy with her night court. Midnight decided that he would just try to get back to sleep, and talk with his mother about it in the morning. If he could get back to sleep that is.


The next morning, Midnight sluggishly opened his eyes. He sat up, and slowly got out of his bed. He hadn’t gotten much sleep that night. After his dream, he had drifted in and out through the night, but never actually slept. He was only half asleep, while also being half awake.

As his hooves touched the ground, he made his way over to the door and opened it. A guard stood stationed in front of his room, standing at attention.

“Good morning your highness,” greeted the guard. “Shall I escort you to the dining hall?”

“Um, no thanks, I think I know the way,” replied the prince.

“Very well you highness,” nodded the guard. Midnight in turned nodded, and made his way towards the dining hall. He passed dozens of castle staff, who all bowed as he passed, which he would return with a nod. Eventually he made it to the hall, where he opened the door, and made his way inside. He saw his mother and his aunt sitting at the table, eating breakfast and talking. They turned their attention towards the colt as he entered the room.

“Good morning Midnight!” greeted Luna.

“Morning,” mumbled the prince as he made his way to a seat at the table.

“You sound like your barely awake. Didn’t you sleep well?” asked Celestia.

“No, not really. I had this dream, and couldn’t get back to sleep afterwards.”

“What was it about,” questioned Luna. She was intrigued; she had begun her task of watching over Equestria’s dreams after she had retired the Night Court, but hadn’t noticed any dreams coming from her son. He must have had the dream before she had ended the day court.

“Well, it started out normal. I was flying, and I did this really cool trick, and everypony was congratulating me. But then everything changed. I saw these weird two legged creatures. They acted a lot like ponies, but they didn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen before.” Luna’s eyes widened, and a clang could be heard as she dropped her spoon onto the table.

“Are you alright mom?” questioned the colt, wondering what had caused the sudden change of atmosphere.

Noticing this, Luna regained her composure, and lifted her spoon back up with her magic.

“Y-yes my son, I am fine. T-tell us more about your dream,” suggested the lunar diarch, trying to keep a calm face.

“Well, at first they were singing a birthday song to a little one. Then it changed, and the smaller creature was riding this weird two wheeled thing.”

“Really,” said Celestia, whose eyes traveled to her peripherals to look at Luna.

“I’m sure it was nothing Midnight,” said Luna, trying to sound reassuring.

“I guess so. It’s just, that during the dream, seeing those creatures made me feel…sad. And I don’t know why.” Luna looked down to the side, thinking, before turning her attention back to her son.

“Well my son, I am the protector of dreams. I could help banish the nightmares should they come again.”

“No!”

“Midnights quick outburst caused his two relatives to look at him in surprise. The colt quickly composed himself, looking back to the sisters.

“I mean, it wasn’t a bad dream. I know I said it made me feel sad…but at the same time, I felt kinda happy. And the dream was kind of interesting. I don’t think you need to intervene mom.” Luna looked a little worried, before clearing her throat, and addressing the prince.

“Well…if that is what you wish Midnight, so be it. But I’ll be there if you need me.” Luna quickly finished the last of her breakfast, and then got up from her chair. She walked over to her son, and gave him a quick hug, and a kiss on the forehead. “I have duties to attend to. I will see the two of you later.” She then took her leave from the room, leaving the Aunt and Nephew alone.


Luna was in deep concentration, as she read through her ancient books of magic in her room. The current book that sat in front of her was entitled Magic of Dreams, Charms, and the Consciousness Vol. 1. So engrossed was she, that she did not notice a knocking on her chamber door. After a few moments, the knocking could be heard again, louder this time. Yet, once again, Luna remained oblivious. This time, the knocking was now a loud pounding. Startled, Luna jolted up, and turned to look at the door. She took a second to calm back down, and then addressed the pony on the other side.

“Come in!” called Luna. The door opened to reveal a familiar white Alicorn walking into the room. Seeing it was her sister, Luna marked her page, and closed the book, turning to greet Celestia.

“Hello Tia, what brings you by?”

“What are you planning, Luna?” questioned Celestia, all emotion gone from her voice.

“What do you mean? Why would I be planning anything?” asked Luna, feigning ignorance? Celestia did not look amused.

“You know what I mean sister. We both heard what Midnight had to say. He’s starting to remember his past. And I know you’ll do anything to prevent that from happening. So, I’m asking again, what are you planning?”

“Nothing!” protested Luna. Celestia craned her neck, and caught a glimpse at the tome on Luna’s desk.

“What are you reading?”

“Oh, nothing.”

“Luna…lulu, look at me,” requested Celestia, in a softer tone of voice. Luna looked up, and met her gaze.

“Sister…I went along with this, because Midnight loosing his memory was an accident. But if you are planning on altering his memories, or his mind, that is something I cannot allow.”

“Please sister! I-I just need a little more time. Just a little!”

“No Luna. I’m putting my hoof down. I will not allow you to mess with the mind of a child.”

“But he is MY child! Mine!” roared Luna, tears flowing from her eyes. Celestia did not remover her gaze, keeping her eyes locked with Luna’s.

“Luna…he’s an Alicorn. We live for thousands of years. He will remember eventually. Do you really think you can do this to him the rest of his life?”

“I-I…I don’t know…. I just- I just need a little more time. Please sister, I will tell him the truth. But that’s the thing, I need to tell him. It has to be me! If he learns the truth, and I wasn’t the one to tell him, it would shatter any chance of him seeing me as his mother!”

“Luna.”

“Just one week sister, one week! I promise I will tell him then, I swear!” Luna was getting desperate, and her voice was clearly showing it.

Celestia closed her eyes, and took a deep breath through her nose.

“One week,” said Celestia, her voice devoid of any emotion, other than a hint of irritability. Celestia turned, and made her way towards the door.

“Thank you Tia,” said Luna, her voice filled with gratitude. Celestia did not answer, she merely walked out of the room, and closed the door. Luna stared at the door for several moments, before turning back to her book. “Alright…where was I. Ah yes, the dream catcher charm!” And with that, Luna returned to her reading.


Midnight sat in his bed, his reading lamp illuminating the pages of the book that he gripped in his hoofs. It was the Daring Do book he had found earlier. It was way better than he had anticipated.

Just as Midnight turned to the last page, he heard a knocking at the door. Midnight wanted to keep reading, but he had a whole page left, so he decided he could wait a few minutes more before finishing. Besides, the anticipation was a fun feeling to have.

“Come in!” he called. The door opened to reveal his mother. She shut the door, and made her way towards his bed.

“Hi mom,” greeted the prince.

“How are you sweetie?” questioned the mare.

“I’m good,” replied Midnight. Luna stopped when she reached his bed, and cast her gaze down to the book lying on the covers.

“Ah, I see you are reading a Daring Do book. How is it?”

“It’s really good, I’m almost done!” replied the lunar prince.

“Well then, I won’t keep you, I just wanted to ask if you’d like to spend the day together tomorrow?”

“Sure!” replied the colt.

“Wonderful!” Luna looked to the side for a second, before returning her gaze to her son. “Also, I brought you something.”

“Really? What is it?” Luna used her magic to levitate the present towards Midnight, who took it in his hoof.

“It is called a dream catcher. It is supposed to guarantee good dreams,” said Luna.

Midnight held the dream catcher in his magic, letting it slowly spin as he examined it. It appeared to be a wooden circle with bits of string weaved inside the hollow circle, almost like a spider web.

“Wow, thanks mom! But why did you get this for me?”

“Well, I remember you said how that dream you had made you feel a bit sad, so brought you this. It should make those dreams of you’re a bit happier.”

“Does it really work?”

“Of course, the Zebras have used them for generations.”

“Thanks mom!” Midnight levitated the catcher to the post of his bed, and used the looping string at the top to tie it to his bed. Luna leaned down and gave Midnight a goodnight hug, and kissed, before turning to leave the room.

“Have sweet dreams Midnight. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight mom!” Luna then left the room, and shut the door. She walked down the hall; making sure nopony was around, before she let out a sigh. ‘Let’s just hope the enchantment I placed works.’

Author's Note:

Alright everybody, we have two chapters left, and then this story will be complete. This was originally going to be the second to last chapter, but it ended up being a bit longer than I thought, so it ended up being the third to last chapter. I wanted to binge write, and just finish things up, but I have a bit of demand for more chapters to one of my other stories, but I'm going to try to keep this story near the top of my priorities list.

We're nearing the end, so stay tooned for the next exciting episode of dragon ball Z chapter