• Published 5th Apr 2014
  • 10,145 Views, 430 Comments

Evil Always Finds a Way - Malcho1234



For a thousand years Equestria was peaceful... For over a thousand years Equestria was ruled by good... The time has come for them to be reminded of Evil... The time has come for the Overlord to awaken...

  • ...
36
 430
 10,145

4 Evil Plans

And so the day of the Summer Solstice (or the Summer Sun Celebration, as the ponies called it) came. Many beings made their plans for that day… The towns planned the festivities, the ponies planned their private celebrations… And two beings made their own, special plans for that day.

Princess Celestia, one of the greatest schemers in the history of Equestria (not that anyone would know that, she had made sure of it) wore a smile on her face as she watched her plans come to fruition. The Alicorn princess had carefully manipulated the events that would lead to her sister’s redemption… And it wasn’t easy. She had to gather the newest Bearers of the Elements of Harmony in one single town, something that challenged even her skills. Then she had to plan the damage control for when her sister got out and held the Moon in the sky… And then she would have to reintroduce Luna to a modern Equestria…

While the Princess made her plans in the highest towers of Canterlot, the Overlord outlined his own in the deepest reaches of the Netherworld Tower. He had determined the date of Nightmare Moon’s return and the day was approaching fast. And another book had told him where he would have to go to find her.

Soon… Soon he would be reunited with her…

And then he would make Celestia pay...


“Sire, before you leave, I have a suggestion.” The Overlord’s burning eyes looked at Gnarl as he put his helmet on and adjusted it to be more comfortable. Today was the day of Nightmare Moon’s return, and the human was getting ready. His Arcanium armor was polished, his Mana reserves charged to full… He was nearly ready to set on.

“As you may remember, Sire, you spread a number of Tokens to alternative Equestrias during your reign a thousand years ago.” Of course the Overlord remembered… It had been suggested by… a certain someone that he didn’t want to think about… But it had paid out. The experiences in these other, alternative worlds helped him immensely. “I would suggest you do this again. Your connection with them expired during our slumber, Master.”

“Have Giblet create the Token.” The Overlord commanded as he reached to the rack of weapons and pulled out his weapon for this encounter. The large mace rested comfortably in his hand as he swung it up, resting its end on his shoulder.

“I have already taken the liberty of tasking Giblet with that, Sire. The Token was completed half an hour ago.” Gnarl reached inside his cloak, his claws digging around for a second before he pulled out the object out. The Overlord took the Token from his adviser’s claws and looked over it. The less than palm-size wide black disk with the Overlord’s sigil engraved on both sides shone under the torches’ light, just like he remembered…

Turning around he walked over to the stones that served as lifts to the different levels of the Tower. An unspoken command had him taken down to the Throne Room. The Minion Guard saluted as he passed them on his way towards the Netherworld gate.

Another command had the stairs under the Gate open in an iris-like fashion. The stones receded to the sides, revealing a swirling mass of energy. If one’s eyes were able to pierce it then they would have seen the smooth orb that was the Tower Heart, and the lake of lava directly underneath it.

This was the Netherworld’s energy, generated by the Tower Heart itself. It was what made life in the Tower possible… It gave power to everything that needed it, from the lifts to the river that Mortis used to resurrect dead Minions.

Normally it would take a great deal of magical power to transport something through the Void, not to mention a great deal of preparation and some very rare ingredients, with something that had already travelled through it being the main one. However, the Overlord had a way around those limitations...

The Netherworld energy, the same thing that connected the Tower to the multitude of Gates that were scattered throughout the lands during his reign, would work both as a power source and substitute for some ingredients. A substitute for another vital component was there as well. The Overlord himself was a being that had travelled through the Void, and as such he had its “scent”, for the lack of a better term. That "scent" was in everything that had come with him, from his old clothes that were still kept in a protected chest hidden in his chambers, to his flesh and soul. It was also imbued in his magic, the very thing that he was now channeling directly in the field of energy below him.

The swirling mass twisted in ways the mind was not meant to comprehend before a hole opened in its center. Slowly it expanded, a perfect sphere of black that led to the Void itself.

With the Portal opened the Overlord held the Token high above it. The light in the throne room began to dim as he channeled his Evil Presence spell into the black disk, filling it with his essence.

“I am the Overlord! Scourge of Equestria! Corrupter of innocence! If you seek to dominate the weak. If you wish to destroy all who oppose you. If you are willing to pay the price, then you may call upon my aid!”

By now the Token was sufficiently imbued with his Evil Presence. The disk sparkled with dark power before it settled down. Only those worthy of the Overlord’s help would be able to feel the power within and call upon it. Unclenching his fingers he let the Token drop into the modified Netherworld Portal. He could feel his connection with it branch out as the disk was multiplied, the Void sending it throughout the Multiverse.

“I believe it is done, Master. I’m sure that calls from aid from other evil-doers will start arriving soon. Oh glorious co-operation!” Gnarl said, approaching the Overlord. The old Minion tried not to look into the Portal to the Void before the stone steps rearranged themselves over it. “Now, I believe you have a date with your Mistress, Sire. One that is long-overdue… It is best not to keep your lady waiting. You know how women are.”

The Overlord nodded in agreement. It would be prudent to get to his Nightmare before Celestia tries to seal her again, or purge her of his Evil energies, and he couldn’t let her do that. Walking down the stairs to the center he raised his left arm towards the ceiling. The jewel flashed as he commanded the Tower to transport him.

Now, normally, petitioners and other idiots who wanted to meet with the Overlord were dumped down the same Netherworld energy that he briefly modified and dropped his Token into. But he was the Overlord. He had a more dignified, not to mention a cooler way to travel from and to his Netherworld Tower.

Five curved spikes descended from the ceiling above the Overlord, spiralling as they surrounded him, like the claw of a beast reaching for its prey. The Netherworld’s mystic energies swirled in their center before sucking the armored figure up, immediately transporting him to his chosen destination…


The Everfree forest stood as it always has - dark, wild and unnatural… At least that was what the ponies thought. They could leash and control Nature anywhere they settled, except for this patch of land…

Of course, for the other species on this planet, the Everfree was a perfectly normal place, if a bit more dangerous than other forests. After all, it did have Timberwolves, Manticores and Hydras living in it…

And now it was going to be host to several other dangerous creatures…

Several bunnies looked up from their lounging spot as the ground in the clearing shook. A large metal drill burst from the ground, sending dust and debris everywhere. The fluffy creatures quickly scattered into the bushes, not looking back as the drill separated like a claw, forming a raised dais surrounded by spikes. Blue light shone in a beam from the center, illuminating the otherwise dark clearing.

The Overlord’s imposing figure materialized from the Netherworld Portal, his burning eyes scanning the area as four Minion Gates, one for each Minion type burst from the ground. Satisfied that everything looked good he stepped down from the Gate and raised his left hand, the jewel on its back flashing as he sent a command.

Hordes of Minions jumped from the holes, whooping in joy as they breathed outside air for the first time in a millenium. The creatures looked around before running in formation behind their Master. When they stopped coming out there were seven Browns, six Reds, seven Greens and three Blues, all waiting impatiently behind him.

Twenty-three Minions… He could command more, whole legions of them… But he wanted to be subtle today. Which is why he had taken only enough to be able to deal with any obstacle in his path.

“Testing, testing, one two? Is this thing working?” Gnarl’s voice came directly into the Overlord’s ears. The old Minion was still in the Netherworld, using the Tower Heart to communicate with the human while hearing and seeing everything he did. “Can you hear me Master? Oh, there you are!”

“I hear you, Gnarl. Guide me to the Castle. Our time is short, and the area has changed from a thousand years ago.” The Overlord commanded.

“Ah, yes. If these maps are correct then the Castle of the two Pony Sisters…” Gnarl didn’t bother hiding the disgust in his voice. “...is directly to the West. That would be your current left, Sire.”

The Overlord nodded and looked to his left. Thick bushes and tree trunks barred his way. In another situation that would just mean that he would have to seek some other way around. However, such things were only a minor obstacle for someone with a horde of Minions behind his back.

Raising his hand up he pointed a finger at the trees and brushes. The Minions happily obeyed his command, surging forward and starting to do what they did best. The Browns and Greens chopped and bashed at the trees, turning them into splinters while the Reds burned the underbrush. Soon there was a clear path in front of the Overlord who strode forward at a sedate pace.

It didn’t take long for them to emerge in another clearing. There seemed to be a problem though… A pack of Timberwolves had taken residence in it.

“Ah, I was wondering what had happened with that pony’s experiments… It seems that they have survived, even after a thousand years.” Gnarl commented as the wooden beasts looked up at the small horde of Minions and snarled. “Unfortunately, they seem to have forgotten who was on top of the food chain. Remind them how things are done, Master!”

The beasts didn’t wait for an invitation as they charged forward. But the Overlord didn’t wait either as he commanded the Reds to attack. The Minions complied, breathing fire in their hands before throwing the balls of flame at the wolves. Three of them were hit, catching on fire instantly. Within seconds they were dead, nothing more than piles of ash and charred wood. But the rest didn’t falter, continuing to charge. The Browns surged forward to meet them, maces, swords and axes at the ready. The charging beasts met the chaotic horde… Barks and whoops of joy mixed in the air as the battle commenced, the wolves tearing apart several Minions before they were bashed into pieces.

One of the wolves managed to tear through the wall of Minions and went straight for the Overlord. It leaped in the air, jaws wide open as it went for the human’s neck. Unfortunately, that also made it unable to dodge… The Overlord’s mace intercepted its flight, smashing the beast apart.

“Huh… Life here must’ve made them soft…” Gnarl commented. Only two Browns had died in the short battle… “Oh well, nothing can be done.” The Overlord could hear the shrug in the old Minion’s voice. And he had to agree… Back in the days the casualties would’ve been higher…

“This world is soft.” The Overlord said as he directed the Blues to resurrect the fallen Minions. As he was about to leave the clearing he saw the twigs that were left from the wolves start to twitch. Then, in front of his eyes, they started to come together and form a massive Timberwolf, easily three meters in height.

“Oh, now this is new…” Was Gnarl impressed by that? The Overlord couldn’t tell… And he didn’t have time to wonder as the massive Timberwolf roared at him before swiping with his paw. The human jumped back to avoid the wooden claws that nearly grazed him. Several Minions weren’t so fast and were sent in the air, some disappearing in the woods and the unlucky ones hitting the trees with a crunch.

Looking around the Overlord assessed the battlefield. It was fairly bare, with two entrances, one behind him and one behind the wolf. A small rock formation to the side was the only notable thing and… The rocks!

The jewel on the back of his hand flashed green as he motioned to it. The Greens quickly made their way to it as the Reds and Browns started to attack the beast, burning and chopping away at its legs and torso. It didn’t do much though, as it was covered in the bark of some tree that was at the same time hard to cut or smash and hard to burn...

As the Greens climbed on top of the rocks they had a view of the massive Timberwolf. Using the height advantage they jumped on its back, using their claws to remove pieces of its hard armor to uncover the softer insides. The wolf tried to dislodge them, but they held on too tight. The only two that it managed to remove managed to scamper away with the help of a Fireball from the Overlord.

A large piece of bark fell from its side, revealing softer, burnable wood. The Overlord immediately took advantage of the weak spot, pointing his left hand towards it. A stream of fire surged out as he cast the Flamethrower spell. The beast roared in pain as its insides caught fire, starting to trash around. The Greens jumped from it before it fell down, twitching and smoking.

The Overlord calmly walked over to the wounded being. The gap in its armor was sending a column of smoke up in the air. For a second the Overlord debated letting it live, but then decided not to. The thing’s Lifeforce would help him with building up his army… Pointing a finger at the wound he channeled his magic in the gauntlet. A ball of fire shot out and the Timberwolf exploded. The only thing left behind was a charred spot and glowing balls of yellow and green energy that the Minions immediately went to collect and present to the Overlord with cries of “For the Mastah!”

This was Lifeforce… The energy that the Hives used to create more Minions… It was crucial for the Overlord’s efforts… No Lifeforce meant no new Minions, and he needed them… There were many casualties in the first few days of their awakening, many of the Browns, Greens and Blues managing to fall through the holes in the Tower, suffering a fiery death in the sea of lava. Quite a few Reds managed to fall as well, but they just swam back to the shore and found their way back to their workplaces… It had even become a recreational activity for them, something that the Overlord watched from time to time to amuse himself.

Hmm… Perhaps he could make Lava Diving into a sport…

His musings were cut short as he heard the bushes rustle. The Minions gathered around him, ready to face the new threat. The Overlord readied his weapon as he searched for his new enemy.

Finally they appeared. A dozen or so Timberwolves crawled out of the bushes. At first the Minions tried to charge forward, but a command held them back. These wolves weren’t acting aggressively… No, they were hunched over, staying low as they dragged themselves forward, their ears pulled back, their tails tucked between their legs…

Before coming to Equestria the Overlord knew a lot about dogs… And even if he hadn’t met a normal canine during his time here, he still remembered what a submissive dog looked like. And the Timberwolves were a textbook example of that.

Waving his hand he commanded the Minions to step aside before he walked up to the closest one. The wolf was looking to the side, avoiding eye contact. It started to whimper as the Overlord reached down… and patted its head. It froze at the contact before it started to wag its tail as the human continued to pet it. This continued for a few seconds before the Overlord rose up, the wolf following suit. A sound made him look to the side, where one Brown was petting another wolf.

“Good wolfy.” The Minion said before hopping on the back of the Timberwolf. The animal was startled at first, but a scratch behind its ears made it docile again.

“Well, Sire, it looks like your show of strength has made you these Timberwolves’s Alpha, which had the added effect of them allowing the Browns to mount them.” Gnarl said in the Overlord’s head as the rest of the Browns jumped on their rides. It didn’t take them long to move behind their Master, coming in a loose formation.

Nodding in satisfaction the Overlord looked up at the moon. The face of his beloved was still there… But he knew it wouldn’t be for long. Morning was approaching… With the thought of their reunion he continued forward. The path from here on was a bit clearer, no doubt being a trail that the Browns’ new friends made. Finally, after an uneventful fifteen minutes of walking through the forest, he saw his target.

The first thing he saw was the castle itself. The once majestic structure that had been badly damaged during the last battle before the Overlord went to his slumber had suffered the passage of time worse than the Netherworld Tower. It was a small wonder that it was still standing… The next thing that he saw was the biggest obstacle to reaching the castle...

“Oh my, it seems that the old moat has eroded over time, becoming a gorge… Look around, Sire, there must be a way past it!” Gnarl said as the Overlord walked to the chasm, looking down in it. There was no way to go down and then climb the walls back up, so that was out of the question. So he set on to look for another way.

Walking alongside the gorge he found what he was looking for - a tall tree that seemed ready to fall down. Unfortunately, it was on the other side of the chasm. There was one problem though… there was no way for him to jump across, not to mention the Minions… Unless…

“Sire, canines are great jumpers. Perhaps our new friends can help us with our problem.” The Overlord nodded and directed the Browns. The mounted Minions drove their steeds forward, the wooden creatures’ mighty legs propelling them fast. Coming to the edge of the gorge they jumped, clearing the gap with ease. Immediately they swarmed the old tree, jumping and bashing against it. It didn’t take much for it to topple with a creak, falling across the chasm and creating a bridge. The Overlord tapped it with his mace a few times. It seemed sturdy enough… Still, he sent his Minions first, having them test it out. Seeing that it held under the weight of several Minions at once, he climbed on top of the tree and started making his way across.

Just as he reached the middle of the tree he heard a sound he didn’t want to hear. The sound of wood breaking… That prompted him to break into an all-out run. It was an un-Overlordy action, but his life was a bit more important as the tree broke apart and fell in the chasm just as he leaped from it.

Standing up the Overlord brushed the dirt from his armor and looked up at the ancient structure. If he knew his Nightmare Moon, and he knew her well in all senses of the word, including the biblical one, she would come here soon, followed by her sister… Her, or the ones chosen by sunbutt to be the new bearers of the Elements of Harmony...

Walking into the castle the Overlord glanced at the statue in the hall. He could feel a familiar magic emanating from the orbs… The Elements of Harmony… A smile formed under the cloth that covered the bottom half of his face. He could destroy them and Celestia would stand no chance against him and his beloved…

The Overlord strode to the statue that contained the Elements. Lifting the mace from his shoulder he took a stance, grasping it with two hands before swinging with all his might. The force behind the blow was enough to shatter a stone wall, something that the human had done several times before.

And yet, his arm was halted by an invisible force before the mace made contact, the steel stopping centimeters from the impact. The Overlord’s eyes widened as he tried to push the weapon closer, but to no avail.

With a growl he pulled his hand back, meeting no resistance. Lifting the mace high above his head he brought it down, trying to smash the magical artifacts again. And once again he was stopped… Why? Why couldn’t he destroy them? There was no spell barrier that kept them safe, he would’ve seen it upon impact. No, it was something… else…

“You don’t want them destroyed?” The Overlord whispered, his eyes narrowing at the five orbs, glaring as if he could destroy them like that. “Then so be it.” With a snarl he turned around, motioning for the Minions to follow him as he walked through the ancient castle’s corridors…


As the Overlord set on to prepare his ambush the image of the Mare in the Moon disappeared from the celestial body…

Nightmare Moon had returned…

And everything was going according to plan...

Author's Note:

Damn... I feared that I would never manage to get over my writer's block. Thankfully, I did and after another sleepless night I bring you the newest chapter of this story.

Also, now the Overlord is available for summoning, just like any true LoHAV villain. If you want to have this embodiment of Evil join your LoHAV guy for some jolly co-operation, then PM me and we can discuss the details.

As usual, read, comment and if you have suggestions then toss them my way. I'll take good care of them.

Next time on Evil Always Finds a Way, the Mane Six meet two beings of legend in one (prolonged) night, the fated reunion between Nightmare Moon and the Overlord finally happens... And maybe some other things that I won't reveal because I'm evil like that.