• Published 5th Apr 2014
  • 10,145 Views, 430 Comments

Evil Always Finds a Way - Malcho1234



For a thousand years Equestria was peaceful... For over a thousand years Equestria was ruled by good... The time has come for them to be reminded of Evil... The time has come for the Overlord to awaken...

  • ...
36
 430
 10,145

1 Because Evil Always Finds a Way...

“Alright class. Settle down.” The teacher called out. It took them about a minute, but the colts and fillies of this class of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns finally quieted down and diverted their attention to Brass Compass, the Earth Pony mare that taught them Geography. “Thank you. Now, last week we finished with the final subject on Equestrian Geography. From this week on we will learn about the various other kingdoms that surround our beautiful land.” The old mare’s blue eyes looked over the class from behind the thick lenses of her glasses.

While she was an old earth pony who looked kind at first glance, she was known to be strict and fair, awarding those that deserved it and punishing those that bullied their fellow students. Normally earth ponies and pegasi would be intimidated by so many unicorns… But Brass Compass wasn’t easily intimidated. Some of her co-workers joked that her name originally was Brass Balls, but she changed it for decency’s sake. Of course, nopony said anything like that in the brass-colored mare’s rather impressive hearing range, or else they were treated to a harsh look and scolding that would make even Celestia nervous.

“Now…” She continued. “Which one of you can tell me what other countries do you know?” Several hooves shot up at that, bringing a smile on the old teacher’s face. “Why don’t you begin, Silver Amulet?” She asked a white colt in the first row before ducking under her desk to pull out a map of Equestria and the surrounding lands.

“The Griffins to the East..” The unicorn said. Brass nodded, attaching the map over the blackboard.

“That’s right. The Griffin Principalities lie to the East of Equestria, across the Great Ocean. Their position is one of the main reasons why there aren’t many around here.” She indicated the right edge of the map where the blue of the ocean was cut by the map’s border. “Very good, Silver. Anypony else?” The teacher looked over the raised hoofs before selecting the next student. “Yes, Radiant Shine?”

“The Zebrican and Buffalo tribes.” The yellow filly answered.

“Good. Can you tell me where they are in relation to Equestria?” The filly looked over the map, whispering the four cardinal directions under his breath before he pointed to the bottom of the map.

“To the South.” She finally said, earning herself a nod and smile from Brass.

“That’s right. The Zebrican tribes are to the south-west, living in the savannas beyond the San Palomino desert. The Buffalo tribes live directly to the south, mostly occupying the Macintosh Hills, where new Equestrian settlements are beginning to grow.” Brass didn’t bother to hide her smile. She was proud that her students knew that much about the world outside Equestria. She couldn’t believe how many ponies were ignorant of it… The old mare had traveled far and wide and had experienced the geography and culture of several countries outside Equestria. It was this that landed her a teaching position in the best unicorn school in the world.

By now most of the hooves were down. The Griffins, the Zebras and the Buffalo were the most well-known non-Equestrian species, and with them eliminated most students had no idea who was left.

“Yes, Harmonic Rhythm?” She asked a blue filly.

“The Pinguin Republic to the North.” She replied.

“Very good.” Brass said, the filly smiling widely at the praise. “Very good indeed. Now who’s next?” She looked over the two ponies that still had their hooves in the air. “Swift Tale?”

“The Dragon lands to the… Umm…” The gray filly frowned, muttering the cardinal points under her breath before she continued: “The south-east?”

“Excellent.” Brass smiled and turned towards the map. “Now that you know the lands around Equestria we will begin with…” She couldn’t finish as a voice interrupted her:

“But miss Compass, there is another one.” Brass Compass froze before turning to look at the colt.

“Moonlit Glade.” She scowled at the dark purple pony. “You know that I don’t tolerate being interrupted. As you know, it is very rude.” She continued glaring at the colt for a few more seconds before turning back to the map. “Now, as I was saying…”

“But miss Compass… What about the Overlord’s Empire?” The rest of the class looked at the colt confused, some of them snickering at what they thought was something out of a fairy tale. But Brass Compass stiffened at her words. The Empire was a place shrouded in mystery and legends… A place that was rumored to be as vile and bad as Equestria was pure and good… It was a public taboo that nearly everypony knew of… Yet nopony spoke of it outside the safety of their homes. Most ponies thought that it was a fairytale, something to scare the children with and make them behave. But some knew the truth…

“It would be wise if you do not speak of the Empire again, mister Glade.” Brass said in even tone as she turned around. Her face was expressionless as she looked over her class.

“Isn’t the Overlord just a fairy tale meant to scare us to go to bed early?” A filly asked confused. Brass just shook her head.

“That is true. The Empire is supposed to be ancient, older than any other nation on Equis apart from Equestria.” Brass Compass walked over to the map and circled a small area to the South of Equestria. “This is known as the Badlands. A place of desolation… A place where predators roam the lifeless ground, seeking for prey… A place where nopony dares to tread… No sane pony, at least.” She let out a soft chuckle at that. Many people called her insane for even thinking of going there, yet alone doing it… But she did. “The Overlord’s Empire is supposed to exist somewhere around here. But there is nothing there. Trust me, I have been there. I have explored the Badlands for a month, and I didn’t find any Empire there.” She stayed silent for a few seconds, wondering how to continue. The topic had been effectively steered to the Overlord’s Empire now, and she couldn’t just stop here, or the students would begin gossiping and looking for trouble...

“You probably know the tale of the Overlord, how he and his minions tried to enslave all creatures on Equis, only to be imprisoned by our beloved ruler, Princess Celestia herself.” She walked back to her desk and sat down, letting out a sigh.

“The legends say that the Overlord is still alive, even after all these years. That he is waiting for his beloved to return so that he can conquer the world in her name… Of course, that is impossible. Only the Princess can live for that long. So I am sorry, Moonlit Glade, but your answer isn’t valid.” The colt visibly deflated while his peers began to chuckle…


Equestria… The land of ponies... A land of sunshine and rainbows, of magic and harmony… Their kind and benevolent ruler, Princess Celestia, rules from her castle in Canterlot, in the very heart of the country. The majestic castle provides view to many of the land’s wonders, from the beautiful mountains of the Frozen North and the majestic city of Cloudsdale to the idyllic Ponyville and the wild Everfree forest. And, if you used a powerful telescope, you could see so much more… You could see past Unicorn Range all the way to Yanhoover to the West. You could see the beautiful snow plains to the North where the Crystal Empire used to be. You could even see parts of Las Pegasus to the south-east and the beginning of the city of Appleloosa directly to the south.

And if you looked just a bit more to the East from there you would see the Badlands… A lifeless wasteland where predators roamed free and only the strong survived… There was no intelligent life… Not on the surface, at least.

But deep down below, hidden from the eyes of any mortal was a cavern… Though to call it cavern was like calling Canterlot Mountain a hill… Both were gross underestimations. It was enormous… An enormous lake of lava bubbled on the bottom, flowing towards the depths of the planet.

The place’s inhabitants called it the Netherworld. It was fitting...

Hanging from the ceiling of the cavern was an enormous structure carved into a similarly enormous stalactite. A tower, hanging upside-down as if to mock what a tower normally was described as…

In the lowest level of the tower there was a chamber. Once lavishly decorated, now the tapestries were all but piles of dust, the once expensive paintings faded or gone, the carved stone eroded, the channels that once led lava over the room, providing illumination and intimidation value were now filled with cold rock…

A throne stood on a raised dais, its spikes crumbling with age. On that throne sat a figure… He was clad in dark and spiked armor, with a red cloak behind him and a large sword over its knees. To an observer it would appear that he had no face, just a dark void under the spiked helmet.

This was the Overlord… The ruler of the Netherworld, and of what was now known as the Badlands… Here he lay in magic-induced slumber, waiting for a call…

Above ground events happened. A certain dark Alicorn’s prison was weakening… Already her dark magic could be felt by those who knew what to look for… But there were only two beings who could feel it. One was Celestia, the Sun Alicorn. With a smile she enacted a plan centuries in the making, preparing to send her best student to a small town where she would forge a bond of friendship that would in turn unlock the true potential of the ultimate weapon that Equestria possessed…

It didn’t take long for Nightmare Moon’s magic to reach the Netherworld. A carefully crafted ward was broken...

Outside, the entire Netherworld Tower shook visibly. Loose stones fell down, splashing in the sea of lava below. The bottom of the Tower opened, like the claw of a predator. Floating between the sharp spikes was the Tower Heart, a magical orb of great power and great potential.

At first the Heart was dull, lifeless… Then a spark ran over the smooth surface. The orb began to glow with otherworldly power, mystical energies reawakening after more than a thousand years of slumber. Then, a thick beam of magic shot down into the sea of lava.

The entire cavern shook as a whirlpool formed where the beam impacted the molten rock. No, it wasn’t the cavern… More than that shook. The tremors were felt throughout Equis, sending the inhabitants into panic.

The weather, leashed by the ponies, twisted under the onslaught of magic. Harsh winds blew pegasi around… Storm clouds gathered, sending bright flashes of lightning over the panicking masses… Animals of all kinds were frightened, trying to escape their confines and run away or hide…

And in the throne room the Overlord’s eyes snapped open, a pair of glowing lights in the darkness of his helmet.

The Overlord had awakened.

Soon, Evil will once more walk upon Equestria…

Because Evil always finds a way...