• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 7,576 Views, 217 Comments

He Who Walks The Graves - The Zealot



When the ignorant find knowledge they are dangerous. One man understands this, and so seeks to educate the nation he once fought for, and to bring down it's tyrant ruler.

  • ...
30
 217
 7,576

Chapter 14: ... Her Only Delusions

He Who Walks The Graves
By: The Zealot
Chapter 14: … Her Only Delusions

The sun was bright, the wind was cool, at least I assumed, and the birds were chirping. Truly it was a beautiful day. None of that really mattered to me at the moment, though, I was currently trying to find which part of the damn castle was put aside for the Changelings.

Why was I looking for the Changelings, you might ask? Well, I had been told a bit about them by Luna, but I was quite curious in seeing them myself, and if they were as I hoped they were, then I had a mission for some of them.

So, with the goal of finding the Changeling Queen, who was apparently staying here for some reason or another, I set out in my epic journey for information. That is, until I saw a changeling walking through the halls.

“Excuse me, yes, you there. Might you tell me where it is that the Changeling Queen is currently at?” The Changeling, which I could see now was indeed an insectoid pony, turned to me. Upon hearing my question it let loose a cacophony of buzzing sounds, before shaking it’s head and writing something down upon a parchment.

‘I apologize sir, sometimes we forget that very few creatures can understand our speak. Queen Chrysallis is currently in the dining hall, I believe she and the pony princess is enjoying something called a ‘tea hour’, I know not what that means, but you should find her there.’ That was what had been written upon the paper, I looked up from it and gave the Changeling a nod as well as a few words of thanks, before setting out once more for the dining room.

[1189 Y.R.S. 1:24pm]

*****

I gently pushed open the doors to the dining room, following a knock upon the oaken surface, of course. I walked in to the rather muted bustle of the hall, seeing the sun princess and an insectoid appearing creature looking in my direction. I connected the very blatant dots and decided that this insectoid, pony-like creature, who was also around Celestia’s height, was indeed the Queen of the Changelings, Chrysallis.

“This is the creature of which you have spoken, Celestia?” The Queen turned to the Princess, an expression of what I took to be intrigue evident on her carapaced face.

“Indeed he is, although as to why he is here I am at a loss for, care to explain Reaper?” Came the reply from Celestia, a slightly bemused expression upon her face.

“Well, I was looking for the Queen, I had some questions as to her race and a possible mission to send a few of her soldiers on, ended up having to ask one of your, drones, I think it called itself?” That last part was directed toward Chrysallis, who bore a smirk as she sipped her tea.

“Well, there’s your reason, Chryssi, but this is tea time Reaper, no talk of business. Although, why don’t you join us?” Celestia’s voice rang out, a smirk adorned her face as well, for what reason I could not know.

I was never one for tea, to be honest, I have never had a good ole’ cup according to George Orwell's rules, so eh, but who was I to say no to royalty? So I walked over to a chair, opposite from Chrysallis, and removed my helmet. Swallowing my discomfort with the tea I was provided. It was quite good, actually.

[1189 Y.R.S. 1:35pm]

*****

Half an hour later our tea time ended, quite enjoyable it was and many question were asked and answered, both by myself and the dear Queen, we had become more or less friends in that time and were currently walking from the hall out into the yard, as I had explained to Chrysallis my plan and had asked of her to gather those of her force that could shift to a bipedal form.

I was currently standing out in a side area of the general yard, waiting for the Queen to gather her soldiers, running a tune through my head, Offspring to be exact, and singing under my breath until I saw her walking over with about seven Changelings following behind her.

“Only seven?” I asked her when she was within range, she gave me a nod and walked over next to me.

“There are not many of my subjects that have mastered bipedal motion, it is not a very common need where we live.” She replied, sighing just a tad, before motioning over to the seven, “These are all whom I have brought that can do as you asked, I would tell them what you wish for them to do, but perhaps it would be best if you gave them instruction?” Not a strange request, and I expected nothing less, she was wise to allow me to explain the task I would give them.

“But of course.” I turned from Chrysallis to the seven Changelings she had brought to me, “All of you have been chosen because you are of a minority, all of you are capable of taking on a bipedal form. For this I bestow upon you all a mission that would be helpful to the war effort. You Changelings, you can change form, and because of that you are perfect. Each one of you will be sent off to the forward camps on the Griffin front, once there you will infiltrate their ranks, upon doing so you will take out the head chef in whatever way you need. You will then take his or her place, and administer a poison to the main batch of food going out of the kitchen. This will weaken, and sicken the Griffin forces, the poison will be spread through the food and hopefully decrease combat efficiency of all the soldiers on the front. You will stay at this post for as long as it takes, until you are recalled, do you all accept your mission?” Perhaps it was not fair of me to ask this of these soldiers, but I was promised to do what I could to help win this war, and underhanded tactics like this would be the perfect missions for Changelings. A complex idea, my plan was not, effective it would hopefully be, and at the end all I could do was hope for the best.

At the end of my explanation I was met with nods from all of the Changelings, save for one, who raised a holed hoof and… spoke. “Sir, I would prefer to be exempt from this mission, I feel my skills could best be suited doing something else.” This Changeling, who could speak where his brethren could not, surprised me indeed. As I took a closer look I noticed the faintest outlines of a pupil in his, for I assumed from the voice that it was male, blank blue eyes, the slightest sign of intelligence, or higher intelligence I suppose, from his comrades.

“Who is that one?” I asked, turning once more to Chrysallis who was looking to the Changeling in contempt, for whatever reason.

“He is one who has not learned his place, I apologize Reaper, he has not learned to do all he can to win this war, he seems more interested in academics that he will have no need for. I would not have brought him to you if he were not of the few that could take the form of a Griffin.” This I found strange from Chrysallis, this Changeling was obviously in minority, and his higher level of learning would infact be useful in the future, when this war was over. Strange indeed that she would not encourage such, but that was not for me to say.

“Hmm, young one, you feel this mission to not be of your skills? Then I offer to you a position apart from you brothers, one where your learned mind might be of more use, would you accept my invitation?” I asked the aberration, turning to him and looking into his eyes from behind me mask, Celestia had allowed me to invite those I deemed worthy to join my unique squad, and hopefully this one would be the first to join, useful he would be.

For a moment there I swear I saw sweat upon his carapaced brow, but that quickly passed and he gave me a nod, “I would accept sir, and please, my name is Hisoka, if you would call me by it. I shall return to the training grounds and await your orders, if that is acceptable?” The first thoughts to my mind were of his name, Hisoka, a strange one that sounded to be of asian origin… perhaps the naming structure for Changelings was different from Humans, that of the Ponies absolutely was. I replied to his reply with but a simply nod, and watched as he slowly and, I noted, silently, walked off.

“Now, the rest of you, be on your way, you have a mission, carry it out as you will.” Upon my words the all gave another nod and left faster than they had come, taking off on wings of film, to the sky the fled.

Rude perhaps it was, but I left Chrysallis with a simple nod, and walked off to enter the castle once more, I had things to work upon, and my business with her was done, any further meetings would hopefully be for the pleasure of us both.

[1189 Y.R.S. 2:35pm]

Author's Note:

Urgh, this has taken far too long. It kinda sucks, I have all these plans for the present time bits of this story, the next one might be a bit macabre, by the way, but I don't have many idea for the past times, save for a few montages and the big reveal. Oh yeah, I just feel I should explain, this hasn't taken forever because I've been neglecting it, I just have school and lots of house work to do, as well as obligations to some friends of mine, so yeah.

Anyway, this and last chapter's title reference is a bit obscure, so I'm gonna give you guys a freebie, mostly because I like the song. Don't complain, either, this is me being nice. Also, I think some of you guys have forgotten the game, so I'll tell you again. Try and find all the references in the chapters, from the title to the story itself, the chapters are loaded with 'em.

The song is: Naked And Famous, by, The Presidents of The United States of America, and here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO4QHuaicls

STAY CLASSY FIMFIC! WHOOOOOOOO! (I'm back, baby)